PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,July.04

denime
07-04-2011, 05:30 AM
Mornin'

TFC buying into the plan (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/03/tfc-buying-to-the-plan)

Toronto Gaining Confidence (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/toronto-gaining-confidence)

Real Esteli Test For Toronto (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/real-esteli-test-toronto)

Canada laments lack of big games in World Cup lead-up (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifawomensworldcup2011/story/2011/07/03/sp-canada-lament.html) video

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

scooter
07-04-2011, 07:15 AM
mornin d

Technorgasm
07-04-2011, 07:30 AM
THos huge flags are AMAZING!
Nice to see them flying this weekend.

Kudos to the folks at the top of 110, they were loud and proud.
Also, Kudos to 113 for bringing it for the full 90.
Great tailgate.
anyone notice that our west coast friends left before the end of the match?
tee hee hee.
Love it.

Brooker
07-04-2011, 07:36 AM
anyone notice that our west coast friends left before the end of the match?

Seriously? It's bad enough to leave before the end of the match but they could have tied it up and won very easily.

Weak.

London
07-04-2011, 07:47 AM
i assume they had to go RIOT

Technorgasm
07-04-2011, 07:59 AM
new chant" We're not the worst!"

BOTH Canadian te4ams are supporting the bottom of the league. .its fucking SAD.

watch L'imp-act come in and "tear this leage apart".

Mathematically speaking, is play offs possible?
Spreadsheet nerds. . .ACTIVATE!

ps - I think I saw that SSG at GJillys a couple of weeks ago.

Darlofletch
07-04-2011, 08:11 AM
sighs of relief all round (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/7/3/2257449/toronto-fc-2-1-vancouver-whitecaps)

A day late, but what the hell, here's another report from saturday's game to watch.

alos, re the women not getting enough games, they played in a shit load of games and mini tournaments over the last year or so, much more than the mens team would ever do. bit of a weak excuse really.

ryan
07-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Well I don't know, we have like 15 games to go and are a mere 2pts behind.... :flare:

You don't need a nerd, spreadsheet or formula to determine that we're still plenty alive and people need to come to grips with the reality of how the MLS season works.

:scarf:

brad
07-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Yes. Check out this thread
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28693

Roogsy
Well I don't know, we have like 15 games to go and are a mere 2pts behind.... :flare:

You don't need a nerd, spreadsheet or formula to determine that we're still plenty alive and people need to come to grips with the reality of how the MLS season works.

:scarf:

Actually 2 points behind but with opposing teams having 2-3 games in hand on us.

menefreghista
Nerd here: based on the current 10th place team's pace, it will take about 43 points to make the playoffs.

For TFC that would mean 25 points in the 15 remaining games. That also means about 7 or 8 wins.

TFC can only afford 2 or 3 losses the rest of the way.

So sure, mathematically its possible.

Fort York Redcoat
07-04-2011, 08:36 AM
alos, re the women not getting enough games, they played in a shit load of games and mini tournaments over the last year or so, much more than the mens team would ever do. bit of a weak excuse really.

Totally agree with that. This is an apologists view to try and minimize the disappointment with us hosting the tourney next. Morace and the CSA got those girls plenty good competition to the lead up to this WWC.

gcolacci
07-04-2011, 08:40 AM
we do have a chance at making it for sure,

However we realistically need 8 more wins to secure a spot. and a team that has only 3 wins it may be tough. but if they can.it would be nice.

now is a good time to pray

menefreghista
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
we do have a chance at making it for sure,

However we realistically need 8 more wins to secure a spot. and a team that has only 3 wins it may be tough. but if they can.it would be nice.

now is a good time to pray

We are pretty much going to have to go on a run similar to the one KC is on. They are even winning road games now.

One win and one draw in the next 2 road games would be highly beneficial.

ryan
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Actually 2 points behind but with opposing teams having 2-3 games in hand on us.

We play all of those teams one more time, so we still have some control of our fate.

Also, what happens more than anything in MLS? Draws. Those teams still need to get their points in those matches in hand.

Every time someone wins in MLS, someone also loses.

menefreghista
07-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Also, what happens more than anything in MLS? Draws. Those teams still need to get their points in those matches in hand.

Its insane how many draws there are in this league.

Its one of the reasons why TFC appears to still be in it.

ManUtd4ever
07-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I hate to say it, but the playoffs are extremely unlikely, even with the additions of Frings and Koevermans. There are just too many variables that would have to fall into place in TFC's favour over the duration of the schedule.

The bright side is that if TFC can defeat Real Esteli, we will have another tournament to follow regardless of the MLS playoffs.

DangerRed
07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
The bright side is that if TFC can defeat Real Esteli, we will have another season to follow regardless of the MLS playoffs.

That "if" is actually not sounding too unlikely:

"Esteli last appeared in the CCL in 2008 when they were ousted in the preliminary round by another Canadian side, Montreal Impact. The teams played to a scoreless draw in Nicaragua after Montreal took a 1-0 lead into the final contest from the opening leg."

If the Limpact can do it, so should we.

And by the by, in unrelated news, our schedule is BRUTAL right now. I had no idea we were playing NYRB Wednesday until this morning. Insane. Santos was limping pretty badly after the game Saturday, so here's hoping Flash Gordon is fit.

Roogsy
07-04-2011, 08:57 AM
We play all of those teams one more time, so we still have some control of our fate.

Every time someone wins in MLS, someone also loses.

We're not mathematically out of it, but from a probability standpoint, we're on the outside looking in.

There are 5 or 6 teams ahead of us with 2 to 3 games in hand. They all either have 18 points or better. And many of them have games in hand at home not on the road. We have all those conditions against us. We literally have to pick up multiple wins on the road and not drop a single point at home in order for us to have even a chance at playoffs and then the kicker: Even if we score sufficient points in the standings, if there is another team with the same points we lose out because of our horrible goal differential. 24 points out of 15 games remaining is LA Galaxy-type results. Just putting the facts out there.

By the way, the 6 games at home are against Colorado, Salt Lake, NY, San Jose, KC and New England. The only winnable game I see there is New England.

DangerRed
07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
By the way, the 6 games at home are against Colorado, Salt Lake, NY, KC and New England. The only winnable game I see there is New England.

I think we can take the win off of KC as well, but as you point out, the playoffs are a dream right now.

denime
07-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Totally agree with that. This is an apologists view to try and minimize the disappointment with us hosting the tourney next. Morace and the CSA got those girls plenty good competition to the lead up to this WWC.

True,they did have plenty of games,now look who we played against?

16 games vs teams ranked 10+ 15-0-1
7 games vs top 10 teams 3-2-2

It should be other way around 15 games vs top 10 teams instead of 10 and up.

Playing Malta,Cyprus teams gave us a feeling we are good enough and ready for WC,while looking at other 7 games it was clear we are not where we should be.

Since we are hosting next WC,our CWNT should play games vs top 15 ranked teams in order to be challenged and ready for WC.

Roogsy
07-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I think we can take the win off of KC as well, but as you point out, the playoffs are a dream right now.

KC is in form right now having taken 4 wins in their last 5 games (and catapulted themselves into a playoff position). Granted these have been at home in their lovely new stadium, but suffice to say, I don't see it as an easy win if at all.

Auzzy
07-04-2011, 09:23 AM
^ Concerning the CWNT, I think it's a little of both, as so often.

Yes, there is a bit of an apologists view at play here. The women have played better over the past year, and could have nicked a draw vs Germany (that was really underperforming) and at least a draw vs. France. But they completely wilted vs. France instead of stepping up & playing as good as they have occasionally shown they can. At least they should be able to compete better on an athletic level -- Cdn defenders & most midfielders looked too slow & out-of-shape vs. France for example,

I think the CWNT has played quite a few games. I believe playing against top national teams is potentially more expensive especially if you want to bring them to Canada??? The women have sacrificed lots of time to stay & play together for long stretches over the past two years in the national team. Many have dropped out of whatever lower-league teams they were previously playing with.

However, most of them don't get enough constant playing time in leagues. I think Morace's comment, about needing a Cdn pro women's league, is likely unrealistic, but she has a point. Why isn't WPS at least a bigger league, with more teams (incl. Cdn), better competition, and better financing? How come many of these other countries manage to organize high-quality pro or semi-pro women's leagues, often with smaller populations, and much less head-start on interest & participation in women's soccer than the US & Canada have had? Very embarrassing that the WPS team of Marta & Sinclair just folded.

Then again, supposedly Brazil doesn't have a decent women's league, but they do just fine. I haven't researched why that is: do many of those women play in other leagues around the world? Likely it's also due to the other problem in Canada (and somewhat in the US): poor training programs starting with the kids, gimmicks & trophies instead of skills development, and not enough time kicking the ball around in the park, on the street, or on the beach.

Parkdale
07-04-2011, 09:24 AM

yeah right "a couple of weeks ago"

you probably spent your entire long weekend there!

I wonder if they were offering 'Pride Week Drink Specials' ?

menefreghista
07-04-2011, 09:24 AM
KC is in form right now having taken 4 wins in their last 5 games (and catapulted themselves into a playoff position). Granted these have been at home in their lovely new stadium, but suffice to say, I don't see it as an easy win if at all.

They did win on the road in Portland this weekend.

Darlofletch
07-04-2011, 09:50 AM

kc, I think we'll get a dull 0-0 drw. maybe a squirrel will enliven things though. not sure who the 6th team should actually be, but either way, that list of teams was a tough one. with the amount of home games we've played against weak opposition already, playoffs are nowhere near as close as they seem with a casual glance at the table.

ccl all the way.

dallas! that's the other team we haven't played at home yet.

Carts
07-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Damn it felt nice to win...!!!

denime
07-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't expect playoff this year,however I do expect a hard push for playoff in 2nd part of the season.If we and up missing it by a small margin I'll be ok with that.

CCL group stage must be achieved in order to make this season less painfu.

ag futbol
07-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't expect playoff this year,however I do expect a hard push for playoff in 2nd part of the season.If we and up missing it by a small margin I'll be ok with that.

CCL group stage must be achieved in order to make this season less painfu.
Let's just see some continued building of the squad and an improved performance for the 2nd half. I can more than live with that.

Like to see a mostly built team at the end of the year that won't require too much tweaking. Giving these guys some stability will help them perform. That's something Johnston never understood. Player A might be 5% better than player B, but good luck getting anyone on the team to focus on the task when they feel they are going to be dealt at any moment.

dupont
07-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Happy 4th of July to all our American TFC fans!

spark
07-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Thought some might be interested in what the players are thinking/feeling about our incoming DPs

TFC buoyed by new Designated Players (http://rednationonline.ca/TFCbuoyedbynewDesignatedPlayers.aspx)

Whoop
07-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I'd be willing to sacrifice the playoffs if somehow TFC got to the knock out stages of the CCL.

TFCRegina
07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
We're not mathematically out of it, but from a probability standpoint, we're on the outside looking in.

There are 5 or 6 teams ahead of us with 2 to 3 games in hand. They all either have 18 points or better. And many of them have games in hand at home not on the road. We have all those conditions against us. We literally have to pick up multiple wins on the road and not drop a single point at home in order for us to have even a chance at playoffs and then the kicker: Even if we score sufficient points in the standings, if there is another team with the same points we lose out because of our horrible goal differential. 24 points out of 15 games remaining is LA Galaxy-type results. Just putting the facts out there.

By the way, the 6 games at home are against Colorado, Salt Lake, NY, San Jose, KC and New England. The only winnable game I see there is New England.

Didn't we already play KC at home?

menefreghista
07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Didn't we already play KC at home?

KC should be swapped with Dallas on his list of remaining home games.

Which makes the playoff task even more daunting.

Roogsy
07-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Woops...

spark
07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
It also is probably worth factoring that the two games before the DPs arrive are away games against teams we've done poorly against in the past. So IMO the 15 game point is more like 13 because wins are very unlikely.

ryan
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM

If sports were only so easy to predict, gambling would be my full time job.

We weren't supposed to score 2 goals and tie LA, nor were we supposed to tie Colorado on the road either.

You act as if "winning multiple games on the road" wasn't really a requirement BEFORE the season even began? No shit sherlock, you aren't going anywhere without them and we didn't need to get to this point to determine that!

You're also predicting results and claiming certain games our winnable when our team is in the midst of making some drastic changes. Nobody knows how much our 2 (and possibly more) new players will change our ability to get points.

Now to counter your facts with facts...

We play in Chicago (1 win in 9 at home), DC (2 wins in 9 at home), Chivas (2 wins in 9 at home). There's 9 road points that are for the taking. You want road points? There's some for the taking.

Are we in a good spot? Not really, but is this season over? NO.

If you think it is, sell your tickets and stop posting till November. Why support if it's always half glass empty? The negative tone of this place is fucking irritating. I'm afraid to post something cheerful here because I ALWAYS have to deal with someone telling me there's no fucking hope.

There's half a season to play and all we'd have to have done previously is turn one draw into a win, and we'd have equal points to a playoff spot holder.

I'm not naive to think we're in a good spot, but it's not so fucking bleak with so many games to play and changes to our team on the horizon.

Heaven forbid this team ever steals a home game vs a team above them in the table, you'd think the fucking earth would split in two and swallow us whole if it did based upon this board.

Parkdale
07-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Woops...

wait... did roogsy just... make a mistake?

:eek:

haha... just messin' with ya buddy.

Roogsy
07-04-2011, 12:09 PM

We weren't supposed to score 2 goals and tie LA, nor were we supposed to tie Colorado on the road either.

You act as if "winning multiple games on the road" wasn't really a requirement BEFORE the season even began? No shit sherlock, you aren't going anywhere without them and we didn't need to get to this point to determine that!

You're also predicting results and claiming certain games our winnable when our team is in the midst of making some drastic changes. Nobody knows how much our 2 (and possibly more) new players will change our ability to get points.

Now to counter your facts with facts...

We play in Chicago (1 win in 9 at home), DC (2 wins in 9 at home), Chivas (2 wins in 9 at home). There's 9 road points that are for the taking. You want road points? There's some for the taking.

If you think it is, sell your tickets and stop posting till November. Why support if it's always half glass empty? The negative tone of this place is fucking irritating. I'm afraid to post something cheerful here because I ALWAYS have to deal with someone telling me there's no fucking hope.

There's half a season to play and all we'd have to have done previously is turn one draw into a win, and we'd have equal points to a playoff spot holder.

I'm not naive to think we're in a good spot, but it's not so fucking bleak with so many games to play and changes to our team on the horizon.

Heaven forbid this team ever steals a home game vs a team above them in the table, you'd think the fucking earth would split in two and swallow us whole if it did based upon this board.

Easy there big fella.

As for the 3 road games that are up for grabs, you do realize that these are teams that have been racking up draws as well? Against better teams? We may take points there, but I would guess they will be ties rather than wins.

Roogsy
07-04-2011, 12:10 PM
wait... did roogsy just... make a mistake?

:eek:

haha... just messin' with ya buddy.

Don't you have something important to do today? Stop procrastinating. LOL!

Whoop
07-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Want to gamble on MLS matches?

Bet on the draw.

Fort York Redcoat
07-04-2011, 12:28 PM

See what I did there? Nothing but positivity.:)

Watch enough MLS highlights you'll notice the parity in this league which can mean surprises, twists and turns.

Me? I'm high off two wins. One meant a trophy and advancing to a prelim in a tournament I care more about league placement. The other was not much more than a chance to turn the ship about with the smallest of positive steps. It's still a positive step and just a draw and a goal in NY would keep that momentum going IMO.

v00d00daddy
07-04-2011, 12:30 PM

Yes...the playoffs are an uphill battle for sure but the whole picture is not being painted here.

Of the teams ahead of us (most of whom have games in hand) one of them has more losses than us (in fewer games played), one has just as many losses, and two other teams have 6 losses to our 7.

So, to assume that the teams ahead of us in the standings arent likely to drop serious points isn't necessarily accurate.

Especially teams that have lost more or just as many games as TFC in fewer games played.

If TFC plays well and doesnt drop too many points they'll be very much in the hunt...imo

Roogsy
07-04-2011, 12:33 PM
The problem is that there are 6 teams ahead of us, so the likelihood of all 6 teams ahead of us dropping sufficient points for us to have a shot gets less and less with each team. There are far too many teams jostling for that 10th spot and we may not be the only team diving into the transfer window for reinforcements.

There is no doubt 1 or 2 teams will struggle. I think we will wind up in 14th or 15th spot, probably 4-5 points out of the playoffs once the season is done. But 6-7 teams dropping big points? Doubt it.

menefreghista
07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm optimistic about the direction of the club due to the two recent signings and getting back into the CCL.

But I also think it would be miraculous for this club to get more than 25 points in its last 15 league games, with 9 road games to boot. If it happen I would be ecstatic. I just don't expect it.

I am really looking forward to the CCL though. If we somehow make the MLS playoffs I would consider that a bonus. I just want to see this team moving in the right direction.

Parkdale
07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Don't you have something important to do today? Stop procrastinating. LOL!

oh believe me... I would have.... but someone hasn't shown up yet. As if I needed any more proof.

rocker
07-04-2011, 12:37 PM
yeah, another way to look at it: we don't have to catch all the teams that have games in hand against us. We only have to catch one of those teams that's in a playoff position and has games in hand.

Also watch out for key injuries on certain teams ahead of us.

as always in MLS, I'm sure just about everybody will be close to the playoffs and it'll come down to the last two weeks. Should be fun to watch.

ManUtd4ever
07-04-2011, 12:39 PM
The problem is that there are 6 teams ahead of us, so the likelihood of all 6 teams ahead of us dropping sufficient points for us to have a shot gets less and less with each team. There are far too many teams jostling for that 10th spot and we may not be the only team diving into the transfer window for reinforcements.

There is no doubt 1 or 2 teams will struggle. I think we will wind up in 14th or 15th spot, probably 4-5 points out of the playoffs once the season is done. But 6-7 teams dropping big points? Doubt it.

It's going to be a crapshoot among the teams battling for 10th-15th in the standings, with a few points separating all those clubs. I think TFC will have a stronger second half but finish somewhere within that group a few points shy of the final playoff spot.

menefreghista
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
We also shouldn't forget that our last two competitive matches were against the worst team in MLS. That may give you an overvalued sense of where this team stands.

I also think its critical to get one win in the next 2 road games before Frings and Koeverman start playing.

The one positive is that it appears this team has found its heart.

TFCRegina
07-04-2011, 12:53 PM

I agree with you in principle. Absolutely.

The others do have a point though. All we need is a team to do a 2009-esque meltdown in the last 10 matches of the season and TFC is a possible playoff contender (assuming TFC can play up).

I don't think it will happen, but it's entirely possible.

I think it was in 2009, this is how Salt Lake surged into playoffs and ended up winning it.

And no, we're not winning the MLS Cup folks, no need to get your hopes up. :D

Roogsy
07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm optimistic about the direction of the club due to the two recent signings and getting back into the CCL.

But I also think it would be miraculous for this club to get more than 25 points in its last 15 league games, with 9 road games to boot. If it happen I would be ecstatic. I just don't expect it.

I am really looking forward to the CCL though. If we somehow make the MLS playoffs I would consider that a bonus. I just want to see this team moving in the right direction.

I am interested in seeing the impact of the new DPs. Having already experienced the JDG disappointment and knowing how poorly other DPs have done despite their pedigree (Ljundberg anyone?) I hope that they have the impact we all expect from their calibre of player. But I won't allow myself to believe yet until I see it. Once bitten, twice shy.

ag futbol
07-04-2011, 01:16 PM
We also shouldn't forget that our last two competitive matches were against the worst team in MLS. That may give you an overvalued sense of where this team stands.

Yep.

Like to see this team improve on it's points / game over the first half. Playoffs are not impossible but they are improbable. Lot of other things we should be watching for first, like can we effectively use the summer window to sign more players and can we start taking a greater percentage of points.

ryan
07-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I'll have to admit I'm having a rather angry monday, but my point(s) still stand dammit.

Detroit_TFC
07-04-2011, 04:50 PM
It's been an odd season so far, league wide. There's been an enormous number of draws, and some spectacular individual efforts in terms of golazos, so it's hard to judge who has momentum. I don't think it would be enough for us to go on a good run of form. But combined with some favorable results elsewhere, there is a slight chance we might get in.

Dave67
07-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes. Check out this thread
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28693

I attempted to lay out the framework of what we need to do to get into the playoffs in that thread. Mainly I did it because I was feeling optimistic and wanted to see if it was as simple to make the playoffs as I had been thinking.

After I had laid out the numbers I realised that we probably need 9 wins to get in. The 8 win scenarios were only putting us in the 25% probability range. Our 3 DPs need to have immediate large impact together.

I am far less optimistic after looking at the required results to get us in than I was before. I still think the playoffs are possible, but it's pretty unlikely.