PDA

View Full Version : Pregame: 6 July TFC@NYRB 8pm

Yohan
07-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Can the Reds get something out of NY? Confidence in the team says good chance, but NYRB is pretty damn good. Both teams have issues on defence with TFC may be down to playing some patchwork team for CB pairing, and NYRB has GK issues atm.

Should be an entertaining game

tfcleeds
07-03-2011, 07:51 AM
After the optimism two wins in a row against the worst team in the league brings, I say a trip to NY brings us back to earth.

CSO_BBTB
07-03-2011, 08:37 AM
The key problem is central defence with Harden hobbling off like he did. If the back four gets sorted out OK (big if this time unfortunately) I suspect the arrival of the two DPs will provide plenty of motivation elsewhere (two out of six starters in midfield and attack will soon be dropping to the bench with a further two subs dropping out of the 18 game day squad to make way for them on the bench), so good things could happen where getting a result is concerned given it's a short trip by plane within the same timezone so none of the travel issues faced when playing against teams out west should apply

Jenkins12
07-03-2011, 10:53 AM
ALL WE NEED IS PLATA!

Nah in all seriousness this will be tough and maybe a step too far for the squad we will have for this game, how serious is Santos' injury?

Maybe Gordon will be fit anyways, and hopefully we have a strong back 4 ready!

ManUtd4ever
07-03-2011, 10:58 AM
It's going to be tough with a depleted roster and the 3rd game in a week...

Island Man
07-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Gonna be a tough game but NYRB have been under performing, I say a draw is a likely result.

PopePouri
07-03-2011, 12:02 PM
If Gordon is back we'll be more competitive but I think they'll break their poor run given we're thin at the back. 3-1 NY.

jazzy
07-03-2011, 01:08 PM
tough to win this , the boys will be EXHAUSTED, but there is a team spirit, that can hopefully, with luck find a draw...we're rebuilding here, hold the parades.....this slow cohesion is actually very promising and realistic...........and I believe sincere

ecospice
07-03-2011, 01:21 PM
tough to win this , the boys will be EXHAUSTED, but there is a team spirit, that can hopefully, with luck find a draw...we're rebuilding here, hold the parades.....this slow cohesion is actually very promising and realistic...........and I believe sincere

I predect the new regime starts with a well earned road draw.

:scarf:

denime
07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
My starting 11:

--------------Frei------------------

Gargan--- Eckersley--- Tchani---Borman

Sturgis------JDG--------Yourassowsky

Soolsma-----Gordon------ Plata

rocker
07-03-2011, 02:21 PM
the good thing is NYRB can't sign a keeper before Wednesday. Coundoul has been awful.

Watch the highlights of the NYRB-SJ game last night.... Coundoul was so shaky.

NYRB played very well in the first half but dumb goaltending and defending mistakes cost them.

Auzzy
07-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not expecting anything from this game...

dupont
07-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm thinking we will probably lose this game by 2 goals. I'd love to be surprised though.

habstfc
07-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Henry and marquez didn't play last night so maybe they will still be out. NYRB are very shaky at the back and a result isn't out of the question.

Yohan
07-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Henry and marquez didn't play last night so maybe they will still be out. NYRB are very shaky at the back and a result isn't out of the question.
Nyrb plays well in spurts but rarely play consistently the entire game. They have like 1 win in 10 games or something with a lot of draws

Stouffville_RPB
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I think it will be very tough going on the road after playing as many games as we have in a short time plus our injuries.

Confidence does wonders though and I'm hoping we can take advantage of NY's weaknesses at the back and capitalize when we get the chance. If we could we could walk away with a point.

rocker
07-03-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm glad NY is flying back from an away game.... no advantage on TFC of a week's rest.

CSO_BBTB
07-04-2011, 02:14 AM
My starting 11:

--------------Frei------------------

Gargan--- Eckersley--- Tchani---Borman

Sturgis------JDG--------Yourassowsky

Soolsma-----Gordon------ Plata

Could easily wind up being that but I'm not sure the Tchani and Eckersley combo looked the part in central defence against Vancouver. The top half dozen MLS sides like RNBY probably would have grabbed the required equalizer, in my opinion. Hassli's miss late on was particularly worrisome in terms of how the back four was playing as a unit. Swapping Tchani and Sturgis might also be worth a try, if as is probably sensible Henry is not seen as being a viable option at this stage of his development as a player. After the RSL game it should be a case of working hard in training and reserve games for a few weeks/months before potentially getting another crack at it down the road. Suspect it may be Martina initially up top (who actually did fairly OK against the Caps, in my opinion) with Gordon being a second half sub and potentially getting the start on the weekend in Houston.

ensco
07-04-2011, 06:23 AM
^I was also wondering about trying Sturgis at CB. Seems like he might be the least bad option there.

No matter what, I think we have to go easy on the team if they get ripped apart down the middle tomorrow night.

Yohan
07-04-2011, 06:49 AM
^I was also wondering about trying Sturgis at CB. Seems like he might be the least bad option there.

No matter what, I think we have to go easy on the team if they get ripped apart down the middle tomorrow night.
Sturgis has played CB and both FB positions before (like I said, the new Pozniak lol)

denime
07-04-2011, 06:51 AM

I think with Sturgis as CB we don't have a hight in defense.Who will challenge NYRB on crossed balls? Tchani brings some size at the back that we might need.

CSO_BBTB
07-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Definitely the potential drawback with Sturgis but who is RBNY's tall targetman that would be a major problem that way in open play? Couldn't think of one but don't watch them that often so don't claim to be an expert on how they might approach the game. On dead ball situations think it's easy enough to still match height for height.

ensco
07-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Height is useful at CB, true, but so are other things. Rapids did win the league with Wynne at CB.

Pigfynn
07-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Tchani is no CB. In the game Saturday he looked tentative and was out of position a few times. I would hope they start Henry ahead of Tchani for sure.

DangerRed
07-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Sounding like a broken record here, but I'd be pleasantly surprised with a draw here. I think 2-0 or 2-1 NYRB.

Auzzy
07-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Height is useful at CB, true, but so are other things. Rapids did win the league with Wynne at CB.

It helps that Wynne can jump very well, and is super fast to cleanup anybody's screw-ups including his own...

ryan
07-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I always love being in the minority, so I'll play the optimist card today.

1-1!

A.J
07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
You call that being an optimist?
2-1 Toronto!

Nuvinho
07-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Its Bouna time!!! Coundoul is horrible - just shoot every opportunity you get and hope for a rebound.

__wowza
07-04-2011, 12:56 PM
i was pleasantly surprised with the way martina played, he had that barrett killer instinct coupled with that barrett ability to come up short every time.

id sorta like to see him featured in the lineup if he could net one.

ag futbol
07-04-2011, 12:58 PM
This is going to be a tough game. I think the combination of Agudelo, Richards, and Henry will create sufficient problems to keep our wingbacks at home which have been a necessary tool for us to start the attack.

If you get to Coundoul, he is shaky, but I haven't seen this team create many chances on an average week. Expect NY to play more of a 4-4-2 and use their speed out wide to cause us fits.

2-0 NY

Derko
07-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Its Bouna time!!! Coundoul is horrible - just shoot every opportunity you get and hope for a rebound.

I tend to agree, just strike the ball as often as possible.

Carts
07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
It would have been nice for Wednesday's opponent to be another team near the bottom of the standings...

Nothing breeds winning like winning...

NYRB are a strong club, we're on the road, this will be tough...

I think almost as important as a result is strong showing... Keep the feeling and momentum of playing well going, even in a 2-1 defeat...

Jenkins12
07-04-2011, 10:40 PM
I've put $10 on Toronto winning...if it comes off I get $85, heart not head!

jmorgs88
07-05-2011, 12:04 PM
1. where did you make that bet, id like to get in on that action
2. McCartney is right, the performance is almost as important as the result, taking any points from the game would be fantastic but if we can keep spirits high leading to the Houston game that may be a win in itself

Jenkins12
07-05-2011, 01:14 PM
1. where did you make that bet, id like to get in on that action
2. McCartney is right, the performance is almost as important as the result, taking any points from the game would be fantastic but if we can keep spirits high leading to the Houston game that may be a win in itself

StanJames.com

15/2 to win I believe

I done them to win and I done a double with them drawing and Colarados game being a draw

Whoop
07-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Anyone going to Joe's tomorrow?

TFCRegina
07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Don't think we'll win, but the lads have confidence and could feasibly play for a draw.

That's assuming our D doesn't get shredded by New York.

Stouffville_RPB
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Tchani is no CB. In the game Saturday he looked tentative and was out of position a few times. I would hope they start Henry ahead of Tchani for sure.

YES PLEASE

TFC07
07-05-2011, 04:11 PM

He almost cost us the cup!

Start Henry not Tchani as CB if Harden is out. But having Henry and Eckersley your CB's isn't going to do much either. We might need to play "negative football" and score on the counter because our backline is so weak.

boozilla
07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Thus far, we haven't been seeing consistent efforts.
Solid one week, shit the next.
I hope that stops tomorrow.

19Barrett19
07-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I think this is the probable line up for he game

Gargan-------Eks------harden-----Borman
sturgis
-------yourass---------deguz---------
soolsma--------------------plata---
--------------gordon---------------

the word is that harden trained with the first team on Tuesday
Gordon as well. Gordon was set to come in the NCC game on Sat but yourass scored the go ahead goal and was able to be rested a few more days. Deguz was subed 87' for henry and i this he did play his best game for a TFC uniform on SAT. Could be wrong about the line-up but thats why I am not managing and winter is.
My prediction for the match is 1-0 TFC
THIS TEAM WILL PUT TOGETHER A BACK TO BACK ELECTRIC PROFORMANCE!!!

Walms
07-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I think almost as important as a result is strong showing... Keep the feeling and momentum of playing well going, even in a 2-1 defeat...

Well spoken, Keepin our sprits up going forward is key.

This will be a hard fought match and I truly feel TFC can get a result away from home, if they play with the heart they did in the NCC. Espicaly if we go down a early goal.

My hopes are high, and I'm putting money on this game beacuse the odd's look way to nice

:scarf:

DangerRed
07-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Could be that I was hallucinating given the drink I was having, but 99 pct sure I saw Martina on Queen St today, so I don't think he's traveled with the team to NYC. Not a huge loss given his road form, but if you're not taking the backup wing/attackers with you, my bet is you're playing for a draw.

DangerRed
07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
And in other bad news, there's talk (see interview with Tchani on the TFC website) that we're going to have Tchani play at back marking fucking Thierry Henry. Bad idea jeans.

boozilla
07-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Could be that I was hallucinating given the drink I was having, but 99 pct sure I saw Martina on Queen St today

It was the drink. He's got a doppelgänger, who plays ultimate frisbee (barf) in Bellwoods all the time

CSO_BBTB
07-06-2011, 01:13 AM
And in other bad news, there's talk (see interview with Tchani on the TFC website) that we're going to have Tchani play at back marking fucking Thierry Henry. Bad idea jeans.

Important to bear in mind that it's only happening because the top four centre backs on the depth chart are all out injured right now and Doneil Henry is probably still too inexperienced given what happened against RSL to be thrown in at the deep end on that. The other obvious option is Nathan Sturgis and that has its potential drawbacks as well. The Toronto FC TV clip brought up a valid point. Tchani is more familiar with RBNY players having played alongside them and more importantly played against them in all sorts of situations in training. If Harden isn't ready yet I suspect that might be the factor that sways Winter's selection decision.

denime
07-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Could be that I was hallucinating given the drink I was having, but 99 pct sure I saw Martina on Queen St today, so I don't think he's traveled with the team to NYC. Not a huge loss given his road form, but if you're not taking the backup wing/attackers with you, my bet is you're playing for a draw.

TFC is flying to NY today,so probably you did saw Martina last night.

and I think Tchani will defend better vs Thierry Henry than Doneil Henry, Tchani is more experienced , plus he knows NYRB better than most of TFC players.

maninb
07-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Please no more Henry at CB....he's been SHREDDED the past 2 times he's played there, responsible for all 3 goals against the last time he played there...he even makes Harden look capable....he's clearly not ready yet, but IMO has a bright future...

DangerRed
07-06-2011, 08:19 AM
It was the drink. He's got a doppelgänger, who plays ultimate frisbee (barf) in Bellwoods all the time

No, wrong part of Queen. I was at Le Canard Mort in Leslieville, so Queen East, but it was definitely him, which would match the points others are making.

As for Tchani, if Nate Sturgis and Doneil Henry are your only other options, then I guess Tchani will have to do, but it certainly doesn't bode well for the scoreline, yes?

Pigfynn
07-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't think it's going to make a difference that Tchani knows the Red bull players.

He isn't a CB. If you don't practice and play there everyday the first thing that will be exposed will be his positioning. Against a team like NY that can score and has scored a ton, this will likely cause serious problems.

I don't doubt Tchani's athletic ability, height and to some degree, his tackling...he will just have his head spinning a bit tonight and it will be difficult for him.

Stouffville_RPB
07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Please no more Henry at CB....he's been SHREDDED the past 2 times he's played there, responsible for all 3 goals against the last time he played there...he even makes Harden look capable....he's clearly not ready yet, but IMO has a bright future...

I agree he didn't look great on the goals but how else is the kid going to learn?

profit89
07-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Come on you Reds !!!

PopePouri
07-06-2011, 09:32 AM

It's only the Salt Lake game that he looked out of depth against Sabario. The three games before he looked more than capable.

JuliquE
07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't think it's going to make a difference that Tchani knows the Red bull players.

He isn't a CB. If you don't practice and play there everyday the first thing that will be exposed will be his positioning. Against a team like NY that can score and has scored a ton, this will likely cause serious problems.

I don't doubt Tchani's athletic ability, height and to some degree, his tackling...he will just have his head spinning a bit tonight and it will be difficult for him.
I think that it might be an idea for us to field two players capable of slotting into the position, so that, if one is positionally failing, the other can have a go. We might avoid needing to make a change, early on.. but that doesn't eliminate it as a possibility/probability.

Jenkins12
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Come on you Reds !!!

YESIR, make me happy as a fan and make me RICHER

:scarf::flare::drum:

GhostKiller
07-06-2011, 05:14 PM
De Guz isn't in with the team today. A friend just saw him at his new residence in Toronto

habstfc
07-06-2011, 05:19 PM
De Guz isn't in with the team today. A friend just saw him at his new residence in Toronto

Winter said at practice yesterday that he didn't train, not a surprise.

GhostKiller
07-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Winter said at practice yesterday that he didn't train, not a surprise.

I thought after the V cup he would be at least traveling with the team. Did he pick up a knock during the game?

habstfc
07-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I thought after the V cup he would be at least traveling with the team. Did he pick up a knock during the game?

I don't know specifically what he hurt but it's a leg problem. According to the tfc site last night maicon is also questionable. Uh oh.

moralis
07-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Line up for tonight's match against the Red Bulls:

LukeWileman (https://twitter.com/#%21/LukeWileman) Luke Wileman

Line up for @torontofc (http://twitter.com/torontofc), Frei, Gargan, Eckersley, Harden, Borman, Sturgis, Tchani, Yourassowsky, Martina, Soolsma, Plata

1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/#%21/LukeWileman/status/88744360891527170)

https://twitter.com/#!/LukeWileman (https://twitter.com/#%21/LukeWileman)

Azerban
07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
can frings play already

like jeez c'mon fifa what we gotta do

habstfc
07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm sure gordon will make an appearance.

ManUtd4ever
07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
If TFC can earn a draw tonight with that starting lineup I'll be very pleased.

zeelaw
07-06-2011, 07:01 PM
WTF is Taylor Twellman doing... has he been picked up by TSN... 2 games now he's been there.

DichioTFC
07-06-2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.usabuscharter.com/bus-parking.jpg

Hoping for a boring 0-0 draw.

Carefree
anyone found a stream?

DichioTFC
^Sidenote, that would make a great tifo.

LesH
07-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Any stream?
There's nothing on Justin TV!

MarkEightThree
Anyone know of a stream to watch this?
Hoping TFC uses it's momentum from last week to at least get a tie out of this.

craigtfc
Just puked seeing sutton in that jersey!

Flipityflu
07-06-2011, 07:05 PM
http://www.justin.tv/slimeb0xb0xslime?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=letsgoceltics.yolasite.com#/w/1434789840/3

DichioTFC
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
If you have Veetle

http://veetlesportshd.blogspot.com/2011/07/channel-2.html

LesH
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.justin.tv/slimeb0xb0xslime?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=letsgoceltics.yolasite.com#/w/1434789840/3

You beat me to it, lol...

Fishnicker
07-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Whoa - hold on a sec, when did TSN get Arlo White???

JuliquE
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
http://www.usabuscharter.com/bus-parking.jpg

Hoping for a boring 0-0 draw.
McRoFL So true.

Also: thought the same, Fishnicker; big addition, if he's official.

ag futbol
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
WTF is Taylor Twellman doing... has he been picked up by TSN... 2 games now he's been there.
Not a bad choice. Noticed Dasovic got picked up for the whitecaps game as well. Improvement over Martain Nash, he really struggled to say anything interesting.

Oldtimer
07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
match thread:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28737