PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thread: TFC vs. Whitecaps

denime
06-29-2011, 09:38 PM
carry on

Pookie
06-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Soolsma had a strong game. Fairly strong defending too.

Oldtimer
06-29-2011, 09:50 PM
I wonder what conspiracy theories the Whitecraps fans are thinking up.

rocker
06-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Well, with most of the key starters being rested on both sides, it wasn't exactly a cracker of a match. The energy was also out of the stadium for most of the first half.
Vancouver had zero chances in the first half to TFC's two or three.... I couldn't believe how many long balls down the right wing Vancouver players played too strong. I counted at least 8 that went out for goal kicks for Frei. Plata was causing trouble although he fell down a lot doing a lot of late scrambling challenges.

I'll take the three points ... isn't that Soolsma's second earned PK?

ArmenJBX
06-29-2011, 09:51 PM

LOL what conspiracy.
Maybe if we missed the first penalty, and it got called back, but we slotted it home before the redo.

Vancouver had their chances. No red cards issued. No players ejected/injured. They didn't win, we did.

123 elite
06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Can it get any worse?

Skinner
06-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Wow...an hour plus after game time and that's all we have on the post game thread? Is the site having issues again? I hope so, or interest in this club is truly waning.

Just back from the game. Beautiful night to sit back with a cold beer and watch some soccer. Yes, two lower level clubs in this league playing with second rate line ups as they look forward to Saturday...but today is a good day in TFC world...and we haven't had many of those lately. Three points and two DPs in the same day! Not a day to complain.

rocker
06-29-2011, 09:53 PM
p.s. i think Russell Tiebert's family was in section 124.... if so, he has a HOT sister. That is all.

Fishnicker
06-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow - forgot how good it feels to get a home win. More people outside gate 3 for the rave-up!! (Where were the drums?)

ManUtd4ever
06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow...an hour plus after game time and that's all we have on the post game thread? Is the site having issues again? I hope so, or interest in this club is truly waning.

Just back from the game. Beautiful night to sit back with a cold beer and watch some soccer. Yes, two lower level clubs in this league playing with second rate line ups as they look forward to Saturday...but today is a good day in TFC world...and we haven't had many of those lately. Three points and two DPs in the same day! Not a day to complain.

I think today's announcement has overshadowed tonight's match, especially with the NCC Final rematch coming up on Saturday.

You're right though, two designated player signings and a regular season victory against Vancouver definitely constitutes a good day's work.

Ron Manager
06-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Good result. Decent second half, hopefully we can carry some momentum forward to Saturday and beyond.

Auzzy
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
We won the game, but lost the battle (to be the orst).

I had a nice night. Much better weather for a game of footy than earlier this season, eh?

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-29-2011, 10:21 PM
What happened with the supporters section? No chanting for much of the game. I noticed there was no one on the capo stand for the first half.

tfcocd
06-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Guessing we will see the same backline for Saturday... Eckersley looked fairly comfortable at CB tonight. Other than JDG are we going to see many changes in this lineup for Saturday? I dont remember a bigger test of TFCs depth where we had to name 5 academy/rookie players on the first team!

Auzzy
06-29-2011, 10:25 PM
^ Well except when the scout had to play, and a guy we couldn't pay because he would have lost his amateur status...

I think on Saturday we might see JDG and/or Tchani, and definitely Santos.

MartinUtd
06-29-2011, 10:34 PM
What happened with the supporters section? No chanting for much of the game. I noticed there was no one on the capo stand for the first half.

Because I had a ticket in the front row. Murphy's law states the bunker would be dead for that game.

TFCRegina
06-29-2011, 10:35 PM

Guarantee it involves TOWRADS

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Because I had a ticket in the front row. Murphy's law states the bunker would be dead for that game.

I thought maybe it was intentional, some sort of protest or something. Picked up a little here and there, but was one of the deadest games I remember.

MartinUtd
06-29-2011, 10:46 PM
haha.. yeah I saw the empty capo stand and it was tempting to get up there but I know it's not as easy as it looks to lead a crowd. Plus I only know about half the chants, I would have just embarrassed myself. Still had fun though.. I don't know if I care for the sight lines down there (I usually sit in row 29 with a view down the top of the 18 yard box).

tfcocd
06-29-2011, 11:02 PM
I thought maybe it was intentional, some sort of protest or something. Picked up a little here and there, but was one of the deadest games I remember.

Other than the Dichio song, couldn't hear a lot of chants over the TSN broadcast. Wasn't sure if that was due to the lacklustre first half or something with the mic placement. One thing I did notice on TV is that the pitch looked immaculate.

QSIM
06-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Thought there'd be a bit more buzz at the stadium after the signings...oh well 3pts.

AmherstNY_TFC
06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
If there were 19,000 fans there, a lot of them came disguised as empty seats.

Anyway, it wasn't pretty, but we're off the schneid.

I am skeptical about the two new signings. Sounds like a couple of Euro washouts looking to hammer a check and hit the bricks.

Auzzy
06-30-2011, 12:15 AM
^ Ah, no.

ExiledRed
06-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Wow...an hour plus after game time and that's all we have on the post game thread?

Relax, this just means people are drinking and fucking.

jazzy
06-30-2011, 12:17 AM
I find signings interesting, not in the least for star power but for skill and professional healthy attitude.....anyhow I enjoyed tonights game , it was faster than usual and we dominated the wings..but Yourassowsksy has to go , all show and no go...can't pass , shoot, or control the ball. No vision , and dives too much

TFCRegina
06-30-2011, 12:23 AM
I was dodging tornados for the Record. BUT FUCK YEAH! WE FUCKING WON A MATCH AND AGAINST THOSE DOUCHEBAGS FROM VANCOUVER! LONG LIVE THE TFC!

Jeffro
06-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Tight win, but a fucking W. I`ll take it. Feels like I haven`t been to BMO in ages! Had a great time, took us a bit (and a goal) to get going, but once we did it was great, loved seeing the new flags!! It was even tough to get the mashup at gate 3 going at first, I guess people forgot what winning was like, hahaha. On to Saturday, let`s do this!

ginkster88
06-30-2011, 01:24 AM

Noticed this vs. Seattle too...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-30-2011, 01:33 AM
if we can keep within striking distance of the other teams.......when our STUDS arrive!

we might just have a shot at this so called thing called PLAYOFFS!

ExiledRed
06-30-2011, 01:36 AM
hahahaha

CSO_BBTB
06-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Worth bearing in mind that 10 out of 18 make it this year. Right now 38 points is looking like the possible cutoff point. Is 20 points from the remaining 15 games totally out of the question?

ExiledRed
06-30-2011, 02:19 AM
Worth bearing in mind that 10 out of 18 make it this year. Right now 38 points is looking like the possible cutoff point. Is 20 points from the remaining 15 games totally out of the question?

Historically we have no chance, and were doing worse than historically right now. Also, Vancouver were crap and we still needed a penalty.
at home.

However I will concede there is time to turn this season around.

Hopefully we were reserving energy for Saturday, and got the three points anyway... I certainly think we could have done worse tonight, but we werent good enough to grind the same result out of a higher team though.

T.Reis
06-30-2011, 02:56 AM

15 games left, 6 at home, 9 on the road......no chance!

Derko
06-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Can it get any worse?
yes, losing to the Whitecraps

ensco
06-30-2011, 05:49 AM

There is no scenario where 38 points is enough. These guys run a pretty interesting Monte Carlo simulation, it's going to take somewhere in the area of 43 points.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html

We would need wins, not draws, every second game, from here on. And we play 9 of 15 on the road.

CSO_BBTB
06-30-2011, 06:20 AM
If you read the fine print a closing record of 4-8-3 is actually said to have a 0.1% chance. Just looked at the standings again and my back of an envelope calculation based on tenth best record to date extrapolated to 34 games should probably have been 40.6 not 38. Difficult but not impossible.

ensco
06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
If you read the fine print a closing record of 4-8-3 is actually said to have a 0.1% chance.

I stand corrected!

Who knows. I'll never forget that RSL had a 3% chance of getting into the playoffs on the last weekend of 2009. They need to win and have about 5 other things happen.

ginkster88
06-30-2011, 06:45 AM
If you read the fine print a closing record of 4-8-3 is actually said to have a 0.1% chance.

That is the number that worries me most.

Forget wins and losses, there is no way this team only loses three games the rest of the way.

CSO_BBTB
06-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't go crazy about the playoffs possibility just yet to be honest. Zero points in the next two league games prior to the opening of the transfer window would make the numbers more daunting than they look right now. Just saying it is too early to throw in the towel because as the RSL example in 2009 demonstrated improbable scenarios can happen sometimes in MLS.

Shakes McQueen
06-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Can it get any worse?

Uh, well, the obvious answer seems to be that we could have lost the game?

- Scott

Stouffville_RPB
06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
1 goal
2 new DP's
3 points

It's a great morning to be a TFC supporter

Wull
06-30-2011, 08:17 AM
1 goal
2 new DP's
3 points

It's a great morning to be a TFC supporter

QFT!

I'd almost forgotten what the morning after a win felt like

phonzo
06-30-2011, 08:27 AM
QFT!

I'd almost forgotten what the morning after a win felt like

oh I have..thank god for water

pekduck
06-30-2011, 08:30 AM
oh I have..thank god for water

what was the name of the concoction you created last night?

phonzo
06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
as for the south end it was just one of those nights for the first half at least. Lacking a drum really does hurt as it at times is more of a focal point then the capo. Things got better in the second half at least from my perspective. Both sections were a bit more energized and well the goal helped a ton.

phonzo
06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
what was the name of the concoction you created last night?

SPROCKET!

pekduck
06-30-2011, 08:39 AM
SPROCKET!

Patent it and trademark it!

DangerRed
06-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I want to see Azerban insert an entire Heineken tallboy into his asshole as much as the next guy, but we are NOT making the playoffs this year. It would take a long-lasting (four games or more) win streak and a lot of draws from here on out to even make it a remote possiblity.

Shakes McQueen
06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I still can't believe Torsten Frings is a TFC player.

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
06-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I want to see Azerban insert an entire Heineken tallboy into his asshole as much as the next guy, but we are NOT making the playoffs this year. It would take a long-lasting (four games or more) win streak and a lot of draws from here on out to even make it a remote possiblity.

:lol:

If TFC defies the odds and does get into the playoffs, I think there should be a public event at an RPB tailgate with proceeds going to charity, like the Terry Fox Headshave...

billyfly
06-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Glad we beat those dirty (insert here). Now, on to Saturday!

menefreghista
06-30-2011, 09:14 AM

I'm happy with the moves we made yesterday, but I agree the playoffs are a distant dream for this season at least.

If you look at the teams hovering around 10th, it appears you will need about 42 points to make the playoffs.

For TFC, that would mean needing to get 24 points from the remaining 15 games. That would mean a record like 6W-6T-3L or 7W-3T-5L. When you add in the fact that we have 6 home games left and 9 road games it will be a tough task.

Keyman
06-30-2011, 09:24 AM
SPROCKET!

BITCHES DRINK IT
TOP OF A MOUNTAIN BOTTOM OF THE SEA

__wowza
06-30-2011, 09:33 AM
UP THE TOWRADS!!
serious cool points for the guy who posted that on the TFC facebook.

i didn't see the game as i was at festivities at UofT, but the site itself was incredibly slow last night. not this one, but the TFC site. the game in six minutes felt like i was streaming a south park clip on the comedy central website through dialup. horrendous.

seeing it this morning though, we looked alright. we had our chances, they had theirs. penalty should've been given, but it was nice to see soolsma win it fair and not embellish. he hit the ground hard. no one called it into question, they were just like "yeah, yeah that sounds about right.."

martina gave me some hope, i really hoped we could see him return to the two goal form we saw before, in the games after that teams would double up coverage on him whenever he got close to the box.

jazzy
06-30-2011, 09:47 AM
15 games left, 6 at home, 9 on the road......no chance!

Why the rush?...any good coach can only be patient with a broken cart,.....the majority here seem to want instant success , and call the shots, thank god , they have no pull.......I'd much rather a consistantly , stabilized approach.......esp re: our youth.......and I like what is starting to happen....btw great to see Omphroy, if onlY, for a min...with some REAL soccer minds on the field , the, will earn respect and show the waY

DangerRed
06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm happy with the moves we made yesterday, but I agree the playoffs are a distant dream for this season at least.

If you look at the teams hovering around 10th, it appears you will need about 42 points to make the playoffs.

For TFC, that would mean needing to get 24 points from the remaining 15 games. That would mean a record like 6W-6T-3L or 7W-3T-5L. When you add in the fact that we have 6 home games left and 9 road games it will be a tough task.

I think that's about right -- it looks like 42 points puts you on the outside edge of the top 10 at season end. I think to be 100 pct safe in the playoffs, you'd need a couple more. 44 and we're in. We're at 18 now. That's a tall hill to climb.

Parkdale
06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I thought maybe it was intentional, some sort of protest or something.

I always laugh when people think that a quiet game is a protest they didn't hear about.
Some games are quieter than others, no hidden agenda behind it at all.

Patent it and trademark it!

I own the naming rights. Really, I came up with the name and phonzo was the only personal crazy/brilliant enough to make one.

pekduck
06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I own the naming rights. Really, I came up with the name and phonzo was the only personal crazy/brilliant enough to make one.

a lawsuit in the making already, jeez, things do go at cyber speed these days :rolleyes:

ExiledRed
06-30-2011, 10:54 AM
I always laugh when people think that a quiet game is a protest they didn't hear about.
Some games are quieter than others, no hidden agenda behind it at all.

Well last night was different than I've ever seen.

The seats werent empty at all, I just didnt recognise a lot of people and nobody seemed to know the chants. It took considerable effort to get the massives going.

I dont think it was a lack of enthusiasm either, they definitely got into the chants they could figure out during the second half, like 'just cant get enough' and the bounce, so hopefully it was just a new generation learning the ropes.

ExiledRed
06-30-2011, 10:57 AM
as for the south end it was just one of those nights for the first half at least. Lacking a drum really does hurt as it at times is more of a focal point then the capo. Things got better in the second half at least from my perspective. Both sections were a bit more energized and well the goal helped a ton.

So did you.

Im not one for capos, but you and Keyman bringing it, was a welcome sight in the second.

Roca
06-30-2011, 12:36 PM
So did you.

Im not one for capos, but you and Keyman bringing it, was a welcome sight in the second.

I noticed the "Qu'est-ce-que vous chantez" cheer didn't work well at all. Some of the guys in the top of 109 were chanting the "We're not French and you are gay" line and it seemed to confuse a lot of folks in 110, who then just dropped out of the cheer.

With Montreal coming into the league, I wonder if this cheer is reaching the end of its useful life. But it's been great for getting different sections of fans involved with each other.

kaos197O
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
I noticed the "Qu'est-ce-que vous chantez" cheer didn't work well at all. Some of the guys in the top of 109 were chanting the "We're not French and you are gay" line and it seemed to confuse a lot of folks in 110, who then just dropped out of the cheer.

With Montreal coming into the league, I wonder if this cheer is reaching the end of its useful life. But it's been great for getting different sections of fans involved with each other.
I sit at top of 109 and didn't hear anything like that but.........

The wind was not in our favor last night and there are soooooooo many suits around now that it is almost impossible to get any kind of volume these days.

Strans
06-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I noticed the quiet BMO on the broadcast as well, and I felt frustrated that this was Frings and Koevermans' first experience at BMO- after ostensibly hearing about the atmosphere before arriving, it must have been something of a disappointment...hopefully the match on sat is good enough for a win / better atmosphere. I want to show players that BMO is still a great place to play... :scarf:

Azerban
06-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Some of the guys in the top of 109 were chanting the "We're not French and you are gay" line and it seemed to confuse a lot of folks in 110, who then just dropped out of the cheer.

call the toronto fc assistance number and report their homophobia

phonzo
06-30-2011, 05:40 PM
there have been posts about those 109 guys in the past..bunch of retards really. The massive was a bit trickier when we did do it - timing was off as there was actually action on the pitch so it lost focus.

Overall people need to remember to lose their voices saturday :D

Also sidenote I have no idea if this guy browses the boards but last night I gave my ticket away to someone that needed to get in as I had a spare coming. Unfortunately my spare ticket was going to be late due to traffic. Alas I was standing at Gate 3 when someone tapped me on the shoulder from the other side of the fence.and offered me their ticket for free because they see me all the time.

The name on the ticket is Andrew Reiley. If you lurk or post the boards at all come find me in 112 Saturday I owe you a beer. (If you know him let me know). Seriously my thanks for what you did.

Yohan
06-30-2011, 05:52 PM
If TFC is hurting due to key players being lost to injury, Vancouver is hurting even more and it showed. no DeMerit and Rochat in defence and no Chiumiento to create from midfield and Vancouver's attack sputtered, Hassli or no Hassli.

Thought TFC did well enough for the 3 pts, though the game overall was pretty even. Special mention to Gargan and Sturgis who seemed to have learned a lot from Winter and aren't as crap as they were earlier in the season. Sturgis may turn into a decent utility player for Winter. He's only 23 and he can play multiple positions, though not well. He's like the new Pozniak.

bgnewf
06-30-2011, 06:52 PM
TFC Wins On A Day of Renewed Hope

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/06/renewed-hope/

My video blog discussing TFC winning versus Vancouver on a day of renewed optimism for the franchise with the addition of two new Designated Players.

QSIM
06-30-2011, 08:22 PM

There are bad apples in every section, even in every row. With the team struggling over the past few weeks its become even tougher to get past the negativity that swirls around the ground. Hopefully the win, the signings, and another win Saturday will bring optimism to all dem ney sayers!

123 elite
06-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Uh, well, the obvious answer seems to be that we could have lost the game?

- Scott

i don't accept that appalling performance as a win. It was dire. It was a dive and it was a complete lack of basic dicipline that caused it to be retaken. The same lack of disipline that got Tchani sent off with his goal celebration that contributed to us losing points a few months ago against Columbus. I want a bit of style.

rocker
06-30-2011, 09:53 PM
I want a bit of style.

Maybe if Gordon, Santos, Tchani, De Guzman, Frings, and Koevermans were playing, you'd get that.

123 elite
06-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I've seen games with Gordon, Santos, Tchani and De guzman and haven't exactly been thrilled. I like Gordon. SAntos is one dimensional and lazy, JDG... where do you begin and Tchani got sent off for taking his shirt off while on a yellow card. He may as well have taken a shit in the centre circle. The rest ? I will only judge the new guys when they actually play. I've seen enough football to know never to judge by reputation. Especially at TFC.

Auzzy
06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
^ Ah ha ha, Tchani got a 2nd yellow for taking a shirt off? So apparently you weren't watching that game. Should we believe anything else you said?

What dive? Watch the freaking replay which is available online, preferably with open eyes & an open mind. Vs. Vancouver, Soolsma was first fouled in the box when the defender got only his legs & no ball. Soolsma could have let himself fall then (like many other players would have), but managed to stay up & half regain his stride. The 2nd time the defender went right in front of his legs & Soolsma had no choice but to fall. That was NEVER a dive. Now you could claim, perhaps the defender got the ball before he got the legs on the 2nd event. In that case, it was simply a bad call by the ref & still not a dive and in no way Soolsma's fault. Or perhaps the ref played advantage on the first half trip, but the advantage was negated by Soolsma not maintaining possession due to the 2nd tackle. In any case, that was the ref's decision, and not due to anything Soolsma did on purpose.

BTW players run into the box too early on PKs all the time, even on better teams. What's the big deal? Sure this was extreme & I have no problem with the call (although some refs wouldn't call that since the ball went straight in & Plata didn't get involved by getting a rebound or anything). Sure it was bad discipline by Plata, but he's also got youthful exuberance & energizer bunny endurance which is helpful at other times.

Lots of players all over the MLS & in other leagues celebrate, sometimes too excessively, sometimes they get cards for it -- including Hassli who I would love to have on our team despite his penchant for collecting cards. Also, that topic was already debated to death, and it's clear that the league & the refs are extremely inconsistent in their handling of celebrations. Making a big deal about Tchani's celebration now, weeks later, what for? I guess all those other teams & players & coaches are all crap as well?

123 elite
07-01-2011, 06:58 AM
^ yup. Lost in the fog of time. My bad. Jumping into the crowd then. I was at the game but it was out of sight for me. Someone told me he was sent off for taking his shirt off and jumping into the crowd. But fair point. Same argument though. As far as Soolsma goes i could see it coming a mile off. He was always going to go down. He is too slow to get past a defender so when he opted to go outside rather than release the ball to the options inside he was going for the penalty. I thought the defender played the ball first anyway. It was a tight call. The bigger issue for me was against Vancouver it took that kind of play to get a goal against them. Just not good enough. Yourass's dreadful shot in the first half? Two of them in fact. And lets not call this a system. Its long ball and no midfield play. I just hope these 2 new guys can help turn this around.

Auzzy
07-01-2011, 09:44 AM
^ Agreed on the major disappointment that they couldn't get a goal (or even some decent shots on net) from the run of play, vs. Vancouver who were mostly playing really poorly.

Soolsma usually puts in a good cross despite his lack of speed.