PDA

View Full Version : Carver is back in town, not with TFC

scrotzy
06-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Me and Crozak just met the big man John Carver at the brazen head.

ochos
06-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Tell him it's good to have him back! F-bombs to all the haters

nxtmike
06-29-2011, 04:01 PM
shall we head to the bomb shelters?

mclaren
06-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Tell him to look out for a young gentleman called Connor Wickham next season ahahaha

ochos
06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
^^^ well done!

gmacpheetfc
06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
is carver at sunderland?

kaos197O
06-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Carver just left the game. He was in a great mood. Thanked him for all he did for us and he too believed we were 2 signings away from a very competitive squad when he left. He looks healthier and younger than when he coached for us. Hmmmmm

CSO_BBTB
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
TFC head coach wasn't the right job for him. Good that he's been able to move on. Paul Mariner provided his ticket back into things in England so maybe no surprise he'd resurface at BMO Field.

crozack
06-29-2011, 11:16 PM
We talked to him for about 10-15mins...got up out of the table he was sitting at to come over and say hi after our initial hello's.
Great guy and apparently a good friend of Mariners...hence he was here.
He did say that the system they are trying to play here in T.O. would never work and gave a couple of reasons...
Lack of depth..
Inabilty to lure big talent needed for the "Dutch" system

I'll add pics later but it was refreshing to hear from him what TFC fans already know.

God i miss the bastard!

CSO_BBTB
06-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Were some of his tactics really so different? Robinson and Edu sitting relatively deep, with Ricketts and Robert wide, Guevara playing "in the hole" and either Dichio or Cunningham up top was arguably a form of "point forward" even if his preferred terminology was 4-4-1-1 rather than 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. Key difference was that he encouraged more early long balls and a higher tempo (which was OK in April and May but didn't work through the summer) but there was more common ground than some may realize. Maybe he was asked if "total football" could work. :)

jazzy
06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
We talked to him for about 10-15mins...got up out of the table he was sitting at to come over and say hi after our initial hello's.
Great guy and apparently a good friend of Mariners...hence he was here.
He did say that the system they are trying to play here in T.O. would never work and gave a couple of reasons...
Lack of depth..
Inabilty to lure big talent needed for the "Dutch" system

I'll add pics later but it was refreshing to hear from him what TFC fans already know.

God i miss the bastard!

very cool !...but I think IF we get our defensive general we will surprize people...JDG goes next year and as Winter stated you have 3 leaders on the field; Striker mid and D.......I see this working, also some of the lads won't be here of course....but Carver was definitely one of the guys......alas thats why imho he was wrong for the job.

FluSH
06-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Me and Crozak just met the big man John Carver at the brazen head.

Tell me you bought him shots! Preferably Tequila shots!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-30-2011, 07:36 AM
With Carver it was more of he wasn't a fit for MLS....the way the league is run...compared to other leagues in the world...its enough to drive someone crazy in itself...

TOP NOTCH COACH.....with a ton of experience....!!!!

(((((JOHNNY CARVERS)))))

A Coach for the supporters

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qbvgq9.jpg

A Coach for the Players...

http://i54.tinypic.com/ladjk.jpg

Shakes McQueen
06-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Carver didn't have much success here, and I don't object to his being removed because of that, but personality-wise I always liked him. He was definitely a fan's coach in that respect - never afraid to say what was on his mind (for better or worse), always appreciative of the crowd. Great guy.

- Scott

Detroit_TFC
06-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Football is a game of big personalities. I can understand why it didn't work out for Carver but he added a lot of spice.

I tend to believe that since he's worked his way back into the top levels of the game in England it was more a problem with us than with him.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Football is a game of big personalities. I can understand why it didn't work out for Carver but he added a lot of spice.

I tend to believe that since he's worked his way back into the top levels of the game in England it was more a problem with us than with him.

bingo..

but i still say US as being MLS itself

TFCREDNWHITE
06-30-2011, 08:17 AM
I hope Mariner believes in the system! If he doesn't then that fucks up our ALL FOR ONE mentality....

Detroit_TFC
06-30-2011, 08:28 AM
bingo..

but i still say US as being MLS itself

Yes, of course. But IMO the FO could have done better to run some interference with the league - to take some of the heat for our outspoken coach. However, the FO issues at the time we are all well acquainted with may have made that impossible.

s2cazz
06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Johnny! Carvers!
ALL RED ARMY!

He would have made it to the playoffs with out a doubt in my mind if he had finished up that season.

DangerRed
06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Carver didn't have much success here, and I don't object to his being removed because of that, but personality-wise I always liked him. He was definitely a fan's coach in that respect - never afraid to say what was on his mind (for better or worse), always appreciative of the crowd. Great guy.

- Scott

I first met him before the 2009 season started and really enjoyed his personality as well. His record wasn't the greatest and Cummins, who replaced him, performed much better (even though he wore thumb rings and overgelled his hair). Carver was definitely a supporters' coach, and for that I miss him dearly. All the best to John.

crozack
06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Tell me you bought him shots! Preferably Tequila shots!

We were going to buy him a pint but he insisted on drinking his "coke with a lime wedge" lol

EastYork
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM
He was drinking beers at BMO field