PDA

View Full Version : Time to fire Winter?

69Chevy396
06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Has he introduced exciting, Dutch-style attacking football?
Are the players he has signed better than those he replaced?
Are the best players he has signed, here for the long haul?
Did his trading of Barrett and Derosario hurt the club in both the short and long term?
Do the players appear to be busting themselves , playing a recognizable system and formation, consistently despite the score?
Has his handling of disgruntled players strengthened the team, or weakened it?

Seems to me Carver had more going for him than this rookie, so what he comes with a stellar playing career. Mo had a stellar career, big deal. We need a proven manager of professional athletes, and Winter does not appear to have this in his framework. Since this is mls a crap club like ours can still make the playoffs if they get things turned around in a hurry. Is Winter the man who can pull this off????

woolly
06-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I had high hopes for Winter, but nothing seems to be working and I expect an exodus of our best players this year.

Sadly, the only option worse that keeping Winter would be getting rid of him.

prizby
06-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Have we had enough time to develop the system and players to play in it?

European season doesn't end in the winter, it ends the summer...players on a free that we got were unwanted in Europe...players we could get in the summer would be at the end of their contract

Thats up to the players, not him

Did his trading of Barrett and Derosario hurt the club in both the short and long term?

maybe the short, but if they didn't fit in his system, how would it have benefited us? We do now have $415,000 or so of cap space free + allocation

Do the players appear to be busting themselves , playing a recognizable system and formation, consistently despite the score?

that's on the players, not Winter

he got rid of most of the 'disgruntled' players

is this thread stupid for suggesting that we need a 7th manager in 5 years

absolutely

Shakes McQueen
06-26-2011, 12:01 PM
I love that this thread exists, haha.

- Scott

ginkster88
06-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Yep, just fire another coach midseason.

People like you are what is wrong with North American sports.

The coaching carousel has to end for any progress to be made.

ginkster88
06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
I love that this thread exists, haha.

- Scott

I second this.

Yohan
06-26-2011, 12:04 PM
can I bring out the popcorn?

Jenkins12
06-26-2011, 12:07 PM
No, he had a terrible squad when he took over, and now he has a lot of injuries to what was already a very thin squad.

If you haven't got the players your fucked..give him this transfer window and a good amount of time to assemble the new team, then he can be kicked to the curb if the team still sucks.

As loyal fans to the club you have a right to be pissed, but losing managers every year, having to start over every year is a load of shit and will help nobody.

Parkdale
06-26-2011, 12:07 PM
nope.

the transfer window and a full off-season are still needed before I'd fire him. Those will be the big tests of his abilities. We all expected to suck this year, and that's going along as expected. Next year however, he'll be on thin ice.

Alixir
06-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Have we had enough time to develop the system and players to play in it?

European season doesn't end in the winter, it ends the summer...players on a free that we got were unwanted in Europe...players we could get in the summer would be at the end of their contract

Thats up to the players, not him

maybe the short, but if they didn't fit in his system, how would it have benefited us? We do now have $415,000 or so of cap space free + allocation

that's on the players, not Winter

he got rid of most of the 'disgruntled' players

is this thread stupid for suggesting that we need a 7th manager in 5 years

absolutely

bingo.

Jenkins12
06-26-2011, 12:11 PM
How does the transfer window work over here guys...can you only sign free agents, or can you buy players like most of the other leagues in the world?

Heathen
06-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Think he'll resign before he's fired but regardless give him the season at least, hell it's not as if we're going to get relegated

Yohan
06-26-2011, 12:24 PM
How does the transfer window work over here guys...can you only sign free agents, or can you buy players like most of the other leagues in the world?
you can pay transfer fees, but only with what you have in allocation money or use your salary cap. because allocation money is very limited for most teams, MLS teams rarely pay transfer fees

QSIM
06-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Nope.

ilikemusic
06-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Yep, just fire another coach midseason.

People like you are what is wrong with North American sports.

The coaching carousel has to end for any progress to be made.

This statement is pure 'holier than thou', Euro-snob, bullshit.

Since 2000, Chelsea have had 9 managers.

Between 1997 and 2008, Tottenham Hotspur had 12 different managers.

Since 2004, Newcastle have had 12 different managers.

Is stability for stability's sake really a good reason to retain a manager who is getting ZERO results?

Frankly I think Aron Winter is a complete fucking moron and a douchebag who hasn't got the slightest fucking clue what he is doing. Do I think he should be fired? I am to the point where yes, I think he should, but I don't really give enough of a fuck anymore that I would be adamant in my position. I dont think there is any hope for this franchise, so I don't really care if Winter stays or goes.

Stryker
06-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Since this is mls a crap club like ours can still make the playoffs if they get things turned around in a hurry. Is Winter the man who can pull this off????

Says it all right there. :facepalm:

Jenkins12
06-26-2011, 12:37 PM
This statement is pure 'holier than thou', Euro-snob, bullshit.

Since 2000, Chelsea have had 9 managers.

Between 1997 and 2008, Tottenham Hotspur had 12 different managers.

Since 2004, Newcastle have had 12 different managers.

Is stability for stability's sake really a good reason to retain a manager who is getting ZERO results?

Frankly I think Aron Winter is a complete fucking moron and a douchebag who hasn't got the slightest fucking clue what he is doing. Do I think he should be fired? I am to the point where yes, I think he should, but I don't really give enough of a fuck anymore that I would be adamant in my position. I dont think there is any hope for this franchise, so I don't really care if Winter stays or goes.

Chelsea won their most with one man Jose Mourinho.

Tottenham are now more successful because they have stuck with one man.

Newcastle got relegated recently and were only really challengers when they stuck with Keegan at the beginning and when they kept Bobby Robson.

Manager stability is essential, changing tactics and philosphies every year is utter shit.

Yeah Winter should go because he has had a bad half of the season with a team that he took over from. Your comments proved his comment correct.

ilikemusic
06-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Chelsea won their most with one man Jose Mourinho.

Tottenham are now more successful because they have stuck with one man.

Newcastle got relegated recently and were only really challengers when they stuck with Keegan at the beginning and when they kept Bobby Robson.

Manager stability is essential, changing tactics and philosphies every year is utter shit.

Yeah Winter should go because he has had a bad half of the season with a team that he took over from. Your comments proved his comment correct.

So now Aron Winter is our Jose Murinho?

:lol:

I wasn't citing the turnover in coaches to show that it is a good or bad strategy, I was refuting ginkster's point that constant turnover of management is somehow a 'North American' phenomenon.

Pookie
06-26-2011, 12:43 PM
This thread is ridiculous if you acknowledge the following: 64% of our starting 11, including the key Designated Player position, were players Winter was handed to start the season. Let's also not forget that Winter must manage under a salary cap and simply cannot open the wallet and attract players here from far and wide.

In making the suggestion to fire Winter, are you concluding that a new manager could get different results with this lot?

The difference between Chelsea firing a manager for underperformance is that they have gone out and spent top dollar on quality players.

We are saying we have quality players? That playoffs would be assured with a new coach? Nothing to do at the transfer window?

sheesh

Jenkins12
06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
So now Aron Winter is our Jose Murinho?

:lol:

wow..your a joke.

Thats exactly where I was coming from :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeoman
06-26-2011, 12:46 PM
in before close
what a stupid fucking question

Yohan
06-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't know if Winter is the answer

but impatience of some people... don't get blinded by quick fix success that some other MLS teams had. that is more of a luck than anything else in a lot of cases

[NBF]
06-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Silly Thread. Obviously started by someone who hasnt been watching the team for the past 5 season.

I think this has to be said that we need a fitness coach. Our best years were when we had a Paul Winsper and that should be a priority as far as coaching staff.

Aron Winter, has been good at bringing in foreign talent. Winter has more clout as a manager in MLS than 3/4 of the managers in the league.

Players Winter is solely responsible for bringing to TFC:

---------------------GK-----------------------
Eckersley------CB----------CB---Yourassowsky
---------------------DM-----------------------
---------Bouchiba--------Stevanovic----------
Martina------------------------------------LW
------------------Soolsma--------------------

*RED Positions- Incidently those positions are the areas where this team tends to be mentally weak and technically weak in every game. This is not a coincidence.

* Stevanovic, Eckersley, and Bouchiba- Stevanovic is returning to Torino from loan, Eckersley is likely to return to Burnley, and Bouchiba is injured and has not played a game, but the reality is that Winter has been doing pretty good in the transfer market to fill positions. He knows what he wants and he is selecting players that fit his system.

denime
06-26-2011, 12:53 PM
in before close
what a stupid fucking question

Yeah,I think it's time to close this thread.