PDA

View Full Version : Paul Mariner - The Man With The Plan

bgnewf
06-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Paul Mariner - The Man With The Plan

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/06/paul-mariner-2/

Paul Mariner is the man in charge of reinforcing a TFC squad in desperate need for quality players. Thoughts on what he might have in store for Toronto FC in the next few weeks.

Oldtimer
06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe you should remove "Preki" from your web tags. It's been a while. ;)

bgnewf
06-20-2011, 01:16 PM

LOL...

Indeed

prizby
06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
based on what the salary cap is and having no idea how much of barrett or dero's contract we are, i think we are closer to 400,000 under the cap, but that is not including any allocation

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
based on what the salary cap is and having no idea how much of barrett or dero's contract we are, i think we are closer to 400,000 under the cap, but that is not including any allocation

Plus there might be some savings from the Stevanovic departure.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-20-2011, 01:42 PM

you wouldnt think so judging by some peoples posts, pretty excited to see if and what Mariner pulls out of his hat

bgnewf
06-20-2011, 01:46 PM
you wouldnt think so judging by some peoples posts, pretty excited to see if and what Mariner pulls out of his hat

As am I. He is no one's fool. He has been around Europe and around MLS long enough to know the lay of the land. The amount of cap space/allocation the club has can be debated I guess... I for one think it is perhaps a bit higher than many of us might think.

Klinsmann is probably still involved as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
yep, between the two of them im sure there are options (im certainly hoping anyways and would be surprised if there wasnt)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Paul Mariner - The Man With The Plan

Hope your right.....

or

god help us......

Pigfynn
06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Klinsmann is surely still involved. I doubt he is satisfied wth the results that have followed his recommendations . Say what you want about him,but I doubt he wants this on his Soccer Solutions CV.

He will be using his contacts and connections to try to help the first season under his watch at least seem decent.

__wowza
06-20-2011, 02:12 PM
NEWF: check yer PMs

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
How are people so sure Klinsmann is still involved?

That interview he gave a few weeks back almost sounded like he was already wiping his hands from our current mess.

It was also documented that his consultancy is done (sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up).

brad
06-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Klinsmann is a consultant. He can become involved again as soon as there is more $$$ on the table.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Klinsmann is a consultant. He can become involved again as soon as there is more $$$ on the table.

Agreed.

But as it stands now, his contract is done with TFC.

And based on the early returns, I'm not sure I'd even want to hire him for more consulting.

brad
06-20-2011, 02:37 PM
I think this is going to be a very telling transfer window.

We've either been clearing out players and freeing up cap space in a planned, organized way preparing for this window, and we are going to strengthen our team and start seeing what Winter and company have planned. Either that, or we've been fumbling around in the dark.

It will be an interesting period, that's for sure.

levyashin
06-20-2011, 02:44 PM
we only need 6-7 players of quality,no problem.

brad
06-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think they will turn the team around this window, even if they are on the right track. No manager in the world hits anywhere near a 100% success rate with transfers making an impact, and it's unreasonable to expect Mariner and Winter to do the same.

What will be interesting to me is to see if they can bring in enough quality to improve quality of the team in a noticeable way.

Batman
06-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Bgnewf,
I hope you are right, although this may end up being more of a HOPE than a prediction.
Not much has come together under the team so far... so here's hoping.

Interest, fans, and even supporters are dropping like flies as this season moves along pitifully.

DangerRed
06-20-2011, 03:35 PM
we only need 6-7 players of quality,no problem.

http://johnfenzel.typepad.com/john_fenzels_blog/images/2007/10/29/optimism_2.jpg

Pigfynn
06-20-2011, 03:39 PM
^This could be a t shirt or banner used for summing up the entire TFC experience since we realized that showing up and singing the boys on just wasn't going to be all that was needed.

EDIT: Just stick a TFC kit on that guy and you've got it!

prizby
06-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Plus there might be some savings from the Stevanovic departure.

that was including Stevanovic, i had it at about 320 + now what 120?

DangerRed
06-20-2011, 03:42 PM
^This could be a t shirt or banner used for summing up the entire TFC experience since we realized that showing up and singing the boys on just wasn't going to be all that was needed.

EDIT: Just stick a TFC kit on that guy and you've got it!

I know, it's a fantastic picture. The guy looks like Winter, right down to the red tie and the hopeless facial expression.

TFCknw
06-20-2011, 04:02 PM
http://johnfenzel.typepad.com/john_fenzels_blog/images/2007/10/29/optimism_2.jpg

I'm bored:) but, that is totally funny.

prizby
06-20-2011, 04:16 PM
just built out the tfc roster in an excel sheet to try to figure it out for myself I believe we hold one of (San Jose's?) international allocation spots, meaning we can have 9 players who do not (at minimum) hold a green card/permanent resident etc.. in the US/Canada.

the top 20 salaries count to the cap. Now assumsing Tchani is GA, we are paying half of DeRo and Barretts salary as rumoured, we only get half the cap hit for Stevanovic, we pay Cann as full, and since Bouchiba was injured before the season began, he doesn't count, then right now we have a total salary of: $2,262,153.84 with 1 international spot and 2 roster spots (Lindsay & Bouchiba) still available

This would also mean that we then have $412,846.17 cap space left meaning we would actually have $496,846.17 of cap space to work with assuming that any of the two new signings would make more than #19 and #20 on the player list that goes to the salary cap

this of course not counting any allocation that we may have and based on the numbers provided by the players union

Cashcleaner
06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
How are people so sure Klinsmann is still involved?

That interview he gave a few weeks back almost sounded like he was already wiping his hands from our current mess.

It was also documented that his consultancy is done (sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up).

Yeah I don't see Klinsmann still having any involvement with TFC either. He did what was asked of him and was paid for his services. And judging by the results, I doubt he'd really want stick around unless he likes answering some very pointed questions.

Pigfynn
06-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah I don't see Klinsmann still having any involvement with TFC either. He did what was asked of him and was paid for his services. And judging by the results, I doubt he'd really want stick around unless he likes answering some very pointed questions.

I disagree with this.

I think this is precisely why he wouldn't want to just walk away. You know he does this for a living right? I know I wouldn't want this mess on my past clients list. There is time for him to effect this season yet.

I think he will look to help if only for self serving purposes.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I disagree with this.

I think this is precisely why he wouldn't want to just walk away. You know he does this for a living right? I know I wouldn't want this mess on my past clients list. There is time for him to effect this season yet.

I think he will look to help if only for self serving purposes.

Its not like all he is capable of doing is 'consulting'.

He's been linked to numerous coaching positions. He can always fall back on that if the consulting business doesn't work out.

In the end though it appears Klinsmann and MLSE used each other: MLSE to legitimize their 'rebuild' and placate an angry fanbase, Klinsmann for a nice little pay day.

Suds
06-20-2011, 05:00 PM

He 's a consultant. Pony up the $$ and and I don't think he would have any problems providing his services to them again.

As for Kilnnsman's involvement, I don't think he told TFC who specifically to hire. He provided them a framework from which work within and make their decisions on how to move forward as a club. What is it TFC are trying to accomplish both on and off the field as an organization. It's till up to the people who work for TFC to make the actual decisions. (and maybe therein lies the problem)

At least that's always been my experience working with consulting firms.

ensco
06-20-2011, 05:00 PM
He's probably still available as a sounding board to WinterMariner.

They have a lot more pressure on them, and a lot less experience doing this, than you'd like. I hope they're up to it.

bgnewf
06-20-2011, 05:04 PM
It is going to take more than one transfer window or on off season to fix all that the ginger cunt fucked up.

But it has to continue, and this time there is even less room for missteps. There can be no Mista, no Laurent Robert or no Oliver fucking Teliby this time. They need to hit some home runs this time not only for this season but to stem some of the blood flow that their brand has suffered in the last months on the field and in the stands.

Petor
06-20-2011, 05:57 PM
It is going to take more than one transfer window or on off season to fix all that the ginger cunt fucked up.

But it has to continue, and this time there is even less room for missteps. There can be no Mista, no Laurent Robert or no Oliver fucking Teliby this time. They need to hit some home runs this time not only for this season but to stem some of the blood flow that their brand has suffered in the last months on the field and in the stands.

More than one transfer window?
I don't think TFC has more than two International spots open, the rest have to be Canadian or American.

PopePouri
06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't think TFC has more than two International spots open, the rest have to be Canadian or American.

I have no doubt that Mariner will do better than Mo in choosing the right talent. Taking Gordon and Plata is evidence of that.

Auzzy
06-20-2011, 06:28 PM
There are still "future considerations" owed from LA for Chad Barrett. I have no idea what that is worth. Maybe a discovery signing spot? Or an international roster spot???

RE Klinsmann's possible involvement: I read the full German news articles about Friend, Frings, and possible TFC interest in other German players. They do seem to suggest Klinsmann is at least still making some phone calls.

Also, nothing in his recent interview suggested to me that JK was somehow wiping his hands from the situation at TFC. He asked for some more patience.

denime
06-20-2011, 08:27 PM

Unless TFC releases few more players during July-August in order to make some space for new players. ;)

cmonyoureds
06-23-2011, 07:16 PM
please don't ever fool us by using the word "plan" and the letters "TFC" in the same sentence ever again.

prizby
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
please don't ever fool us by using the word "plan" and the letters "TFC" in the same sentence ever again.

can you show me where plan and TFC are used in the same sentence???

drewski
06-30-2011, 01:16 PM

looks like he does still have a bit of involvement.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/article13458792/Torsten-Frings-wechselt-zu-Klinsmann-Club-Toronto.html&ei=_7wMTqBKzIWwAquvofIJ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dklinsmann%2Bfrings%26hl%3Den%26client %3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DggM%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1300%26bih%3D781%26prmd%3Divns

"For me the decision was not difficult," he said before the home game against Vancouver, "I have the first contact by Jurgen Klinsmann got, and he has told nothing but good.

West220Side
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
looks like he does still have a bit of involvement.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/article13458792/Torsten-Frings-wechselt-zu-Klinsmann-Club-Toronto.html&ei=_7wMTqBKzIWwAquvofIJ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dklinsmann%2Bfrings%26hl%3Den%26client %3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DggM%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1300%26bih%3D781%26prmd%3Divns

In the press conference he said more then just that. Koevermans said how Winter contacted him early in his appointment to coach. Frings mentioned that Jurgen Klinsmann had contacted him in January. Which at this time he still had involvement in the club.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-30-2011, 01:51 PM
And probably still does

scooter
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
can you show me where plan and TFC are used in the same sentence???

eat those words

Shakes McQueen
06-30-2011, 06:00 PM
As some have pointed out, a lot happens under the surface at teams, that never makes it out to the fans. These two signings were a clear case of that, with fishing lines being tossed out months ago.

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
06-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Yeah, the new management regime has certainly played their cards closer to the vest than Mo Johnston ever did. As opposed to in years past, this season, if any speculation leaked out regarding a potential signing, it was usually proven to be accurate within a matter of days. During the MoJo era, a European marquee player was rumored to be on the way to Toronto every other week.

denime
07-12-2011, 08:57 PM
PM was scouting for some new talented players. ;)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2rzao01.jpg

After short TFC,TFC,TFC they waved and laughed in disbelief that actually they were recognized at U2 Concert.

Brooker
07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
haha nice!

rocker
07-12-2011, 10:05 PM
PM was scouting for some new talented players. ;)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2rzao01.jpg

After short TFC,TFC,TFC they waved and laughed in disbelief that actually they were recognized at U2 Concert.

He still hasn't found what he's looking for.... during the transfer window.

mastermixer
07-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Nice find. So I guess he knows the band?