PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Jun.20

denime
06-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Mornin'

Winter Looking For Players (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/06/winter-looking-players)

Stevanovic Heads Back To Italy (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/06/stevanovic-heads-back-italy)

TFC: Is that all there is? (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/19/tfc-is-that-all-there-is)

Canada blanked in FIFA U-17 World Cup opener (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/06/19/sp-fifa-u17-can-uru.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

keem-o-sabi
06-20-2011, 06:36 AM
co-ed girls
1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2011/06/19/playboy-coed-of-the-week-jessica-bentleys-sexiest-facebook-pics/) & 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2011/06/14/miss-coed-brittney-rane-21-pics/)
good morning Denime

Technorgasm
06-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Great Stevo is gone, at a time when we are DESPERATE for playmakers, and players that can hold the ball .. . something Stevo provided. .

its a tough year for TFC. . thats for sure.

Oldtimer
06-20-2011, 07:28 AM
It's probably too late to save this season. It's still a while until the transfer window opens.

Can Winter start building something good for next year? Only time will tell.

“I’m still saying we are rebuilding,” Winter said. “It’s clear that once the (transfer) window opens, we will have to get some players because we need them. We don’t have enough quality.”... and that is the root problem. We don't even have a decent starting 11, most of our team are really depth-quality players.

If TFC could actually sell JDG, that would provide a whack of cash and free up a lot of cap space. (You only need to get $750k to get the maximum $500k allocation, that is very little for a player in Europe). Obviously you wouldn't sell JDG based on his TFC play, but on his la liga play.

We would need to acquire a decent holding midfielder, but could probably do it for $200k or less. Then building a more balanced team with reasonable quality would be needed.

If you look at the teams that consistently do well in MLS, they either have no DP, or their DP is a goal-scorer. Taking up a huge pile of cap-space for a HM is a mistake in MLS. The best teams have a lot of $150k-$200k players instead of holding up too much cap-space in Designated Players.

scooter
06-20-2011, 08:05 AM
^ agreed but i dont think anyone would buy him for the kind of money we are donating every week because lets face it he hasnt earned it

morin d

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Anyone read the Sun article above?

It claims that De Guzman still hasn't returned to the club after the Gold Cup. That's pretty scandalous if true.

Stouffville_RPB
06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Morning everyone.

Stouffville_RPB
06-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Anyone read the Sun article above?

It claims that De Guzman still hasn't returned to the club after the Gold Cup. That's pretty scandalous if true.

One of the "Some Canadian Guys" said on Twitter that someone saw him at a Canadian Tire this weekend.

Roogsy
06-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Ugh...so much wrong with this club.

And OT...there is a big risk that most people are not identifying with the upcoming transfer window and even the off-season.

As far as Winter is concerned, you guys know where I stand. I don't think he has proven to have any heightened ability to coach in MLS or to identify players that will fit MLS, despite his "pedigree". Mariner I fear is one half of a tandem that only worked well as a full partnership (Nicol). So now we have these two making decisions that will affect TFC not just this year, not just next year but well into the future.

What if they do a poor job?

What kind of risks are there to TFC and the entire experience?

A club that can't even make it to the playoffs by it's fifth year will now also be burdened with new signings, expenditures, contracts and commitments that may affect us for another 5 years.

I hope all this faith people have placed in Mariner and Winter is deserved. I haven't seen it yet, but maybe something will finally show glimpses of what so many here have decided to believe in. Because if this faith is misplaced, we are so fucked.

Beach_Red
06-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Ugh...so much wrong with this club.

What if they do a poor job?

What kind of risks are there to TFC and the entire experience?

A club that can't even make it to the playoffs by it's fifth year will now also be burdened with new signings, expenditures, contracts and commitments that may affect us for another 5 years.

I hope all this faith people have placed in Mariner and Winter is deserved. I haven't seen it yet, but maybe something will finally show glimpses of what so many here have decided to believe in. Because if this faith is misplaced, we are so fucked.

I posted this in another thread, too, but I'd really like to see the consultant's report that recommended this style of play and these guys and see if it had anything in it about player acquisition and if it said anything about how long it would take to "rebuild."

Joe Kool
06-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I think it is too early to give up on Winter. I like the type of football they are trying to play and I would hate if they go back to the long ball to the forward style of play that only works when you get a fortunate bounce. It was actually really irritating to watch in recent years and I find that this formation seems to work and seems effective when the players are actually doing what they are supposed to but it is just the quality that is lacking of the final play. How many times could Plata of put the ball over to Santos on the weekend? Not picking on him in particular because he needs time to learn but it is just inexperienced mistakes that are costing the games in my opinion...oh, and everyone once and awhile nobody seems to show up. I for one want to see what Winter can do over a period of time and would hate to see the revolving door happen again. I guess we will see.

[NBF]
06-20-2011, 09:52 AM
I think it is too early to give up on Winter. I like the type of football they are trying to play and I would hate if they go back to the long ball to the forward style of play that only works when you get a fortunate bounce. It was actually really irritating to watch in recent years and I find that this formation seems to work and seems effective when the players are actually doing what they are supposed to but it is just the quality that is lacking of the final play. How many times could Plata of put the ball over to Santos on the weekend? Not picking on him in particular because he needs time to learn but it is just inexperienced mistakes that are costing the games in my opinion...oh, and everyone once and awhile nobody seems to show up. I for one want to see what Winter can do over a period of time and would hate to see the revolving door happen again. I guess we will see.

I thought I heard Allen Gordon say during the "Off The Pitch" session that Aron Winter was best friends with Rudd Gulitt which immediately got me thinking that we could have a Gullitt type of departure with Winter, but Winter in my opinion is alot more methodical in his thinking and more than likely is thinking of the type of mark it would leave to "quit" as manager of Toronto FC.

I'm definitely not ready quit on Winter. He seems to want to shed the "great player, but not a great manager" label and be a successful manager. He is definitely in it to prove something.

Our Best Lineup:

------------------------------Frei-------------------------------
Eckersley---------Attakora-------------Cann-------------Borman
----------------DeGuzman------------Yourassowsky-------------
-----------------------------Tchani----------------------------
Martina---------------------------------------------------Santos
-----------------------------Gordon----------------------------

dupont
06-20-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't want the club giving up on anyone. The only way we will improve is with some stability. I don't want huge player turnover and coaching changes every season anymore. We definitely need some more quality obviously but I don't want to gut the entire lineup like Preki did or fire coaches prematurely.
It's been a terrible season but the management needs to have some balls and not cave to the media and fans with band-aid solutions that never work.

Whoop
06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
JDG is hurt but still even if you're hurt you should still be around your teammates on match day.

Stouffville_RPB
06-20-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't want the club giving up on anyone. The only way we will improve is with some stability. I don't want huge player turnover and coaching changes every season anymore. We definitely need some more quality obviously but I don't want to gut the entire lineup like Preki did or fire coaches prematurely.
It's been a terrible season but the management needs to have some balls and not cave to the media and fans with band-aid solutions that never work.

YES!!!!

denime
06-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Thank you!

+1

Hustle
06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Well said Dupont. Lets just stick this shit out and see what some stability can do for us.

jabbronies
06-20-2011, 12:21 PM

I don't think these guys are dumb. I have faith that they know where the holes are in the lineup and they know what type of players they need to fill them.

My fear is that they don't know where to find these guys and they end up relying on the academy too much.

Chevy
06-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Well said Dupont. Lets just stick this shit out and see what some stability can do for us.

Exactly. The funny thing here is that noone knows what a dose of stability will do to this club - because we have never experienced it.

We all know that a certain element on this board will work night and day to derail this sentiment, but it's 100% the right way to go with our suppoort. We have a decent young core, three open DP slots (as it would seem) and an academy in place that is producing results.

Oldtimer
06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/06/jack-warner-resigns

Jack Warner resigns.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Stability is all fine and nice when you have decent players to build around. As it stands now, with the talent currently on TFC's roster, anyone who doesn't expect another revolving door of player turnover is kidding themselves.

rocker
06-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Stability is all fine and nice when you have decent players to build around. As it stands now, with the talent currently on TFC's roster, anyone who doesn't expect another revolving door of player turnover is kidding themselves.

All teams in MLS see a certain amount of turnover every year. why? because teams aren't good enough and try to get better... not to mention management changes and cap probs.

The question is how many, not that we should put the current roster in stone and just see how it goes for the sake of stability. I could see 5-7 new players by next season. I also wouldn't call that a revolving door, but building on a core.

The key thing is talent evaluation and filling holes effectively the first time.

mastermixer
06-20-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't think these guys are dumb. I have faith that they know where the holes are in the lineup and they know what type of players they need to fill them.

My fear is that they don't know where to find these guys and they end up relying on the academy too much.

I don't think these guys are dumb either, and even us as fans know where this team can improve. What we don't know is how difficult it is behind the scenes to get guys to come play for TFC, and once they are here, playing together properly.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 01:12 PM
The question is how many, not that we should put the current roster in stone and just see how it goes for the sake of stability. I could see 5-7 new players by next season. I also wouldn't call that a revolving door, but building on a core.

We are one of the worst teams in the league, with very few prospect type players, I'd be shocked if our turnover is as low as 5-7 players.

We might see that many moves in the upcoming window, if they can find a way to get around the discovery issue.

Stouffville_RPB
06-20-2011, 01:37 PM
We are one of the worst teams in the league, with very few prospect type players, I'd be shocked if our turnover is as low as 5-7 players.

We might see that many moves in the upcoming window, if they can find a way to get around the discovery issue.

We are the youngest team in the league.

The guys like Martina, Soolsma, Yourassowsky will not be hear in a few years but look at the younger players on the roster and Aron Winter's history and it's hard to dismiss the idea that the younger players on the roster will not play a role long term.