PDA

View Full Version : Timber supporters!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2011, 10:54 PM
all i can say is wow.....watching the timbers play the shite bulls.....they have been in full voice the entire game........hands down,,the class of mls!

link

http://www.fromsportcom.com/v-2/8/162/v-296382.html

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2011, 11:00 PM
wow dero at the death 3-3

could this thread be moved.......posted in wrong area!...

cheers

prizby
06-20-2011, 02:45 AM
they also are

A. united the same area
B. have a roof that projects the sound back towards the pitch unlike BMO Field where the wind takes the sound into the lake
C. they probably also have some on the field microphones closely placed by the supporters sections, which make them sound "louder" than they really are

FluSH
06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
C. On the field Microphones // speakers.

^
THIS.

Using these sparingly and wisely could be an aid to our sans roof stadium.

__wowza
06-20-2011, 08:44 AM
let's not take anything away from the timbers army, from what i've seen, they show up every game. then again, they have a reason to..

oh good god. trying not to be cynical, trying not to be cynical, trying not to be cynical.

http://organiseme.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/serenity_now.jpg

Wagner
06-20-2011, 08:52 AM
let's revisit this thread after they've been in the league for 5 years and their team still hasn't made the playoffs that entire time.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
let's revisit this thread after they've been in the league for 5 years and their team still hasn't made the playoffs that entire time.

There will probably never be another MLS team to ever acheive that dubious distinction.

Hell, Portland is in the mix for the playoffs this year.

Roogsy
06-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Let's put it this way: If the east weren't so bad as it is, Portland would be sitting in a playoff spot right now. They certainly look to make the playoffs at some point sooner than we do.

Parkdale
06-20-2011, 09:08 AM
just because they will make the playoffs in under 5 years doesn't change the fact that they are in the first year honeymoon stage of their support.

before we compare them to us, it's critical that people think of the context.

In our first year we sang our guts out over anything, and every goal was so loud that you could hear the roar on Queen Street.

The timbers aren't thinking about 5 years from now, they're thinking about the good times they are currently experiencing.

brad
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
They are awesome, but the lose marks in my books for that stupid chainsaw thing...

brad
06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
just because they will make the playoffs in under 5 years doesn't change the fact that they are in the first year honeymoon stage of their support.

Are they? I thought they were noted for having fantastic support before coming to the MLS.

Roogsy
06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
TFC would still be enjoying an extended honeymoon if they didn't decide to screw their fans and fumble their team.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
TFC would still be enjoying an extended honeymoon if they didn't decide to screw their fans and fumble their team.

You are right. Which is what makes the situation of our club so much more sadder.

We could of had the soccer equivalent of the Blue Jays rise from nothing to Champions. The FO has messed this up big time, whether its on field management or how the customer is treated.

Parkdale
06-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Are they? I thought they were noted for having fantastic support before coming to the MLS.

they were on a much smaller scale (stadium, tickets, supporters etc) before joining MLS. They were a very well supported minor league team, but still, a minor league.

Redcoe15
06-20-2011, 09:32 AM
They are awesome, but the lose marks in my books for that stupid chainsaw thing...
That stupid chainsaw thing is part and parcel of the Portland Timbers history, going back to their D2 days.

Parkdale
06-20-2011, 09:34 AM

naw, we'd be into a solid relationship based on trust and mutual respect.
Honeymoons can't last forever. It would have been 2 or 3 years max.
Even if the team was winning, the relationship would change.

ginkster88
06-20-2011, 09:37 AM
You are right. Which is what makes the situation of our club so much more sadder.

We could of had the soccer equivalent of the Blue Jays rise from nothing to Champions. The FO has messed this up big time, whether its on field management or how the customer is treated.

Well... we're on pace to do just that: 9 years until our first playoff appearance, 15 until our first Championship.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Well... we're on pace to do just that: 9 years until our first playoff appearance, 15 until our first Championship.

Haha. All kidding aside, I figure it can happen faster in MLS were over half the teams make the playoffs and there is a salary cap.

When the Jays were winning only 4 of about 30 teams made the playoffs.

Technorgasm
06-20-2011, 09:54 AM

In our first year we sang our guts out over anything, and every goal was so loud that you could hear the roar on Queen Street.

The timbers aren't thinking about 5 years from now, they're thinking about the good times they are currently experiencing.

Thsi is what all the other more established MLS teams said to/abotu US when they were being choked out every other minute with press about TFC.

feels so much like " I told you so" time at BMO.
I dun care though. . . .

ilikemusic
06-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Haha. All kidding aside, I figure it can happen faster in MLS were over half the teams make the playoffs and there is a salary cap.

Tell that to Winter/Mariner and some of the mindless sheeple on this board.

__wowza
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
they were one of the franchises that had it's supporters rewarded with a top flight organization, so this argument is irrelevant. most of the customs they had in place were from their teams infancy, which trace back thirty years before we had a team.

plus, check out derpy on the far left here from their wiki page:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Timbers_Army.jpg

prizby
06-20-2011, 11:30 AM
instead of talking about other supports, why don't we just support OUR TEAM...

this starts by not walking out in the 89th minute when Montero scores...support the team through and through...i was disgusted watching 50+ ppl leave 112/113 when it happened

if you like what the Timbers do, move out to Portland and go cheer with them

Parkdale
06-20-2011, 11:39 AM
..i was disgusted watching 50+ ppl leave 112/113 when it happened

meh.... I stayed, because in the end, we're only responsible and accountable for our own actions.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape over that other people choose to do.

The only thing I can really control is myself (and not very well)

Nomad
06-20-2011, 11:52 AM

I think this is a flawed context.

Portland Timbers have been around for years and have been well supported during their USL incarnation. Have some people in the stands now jumped on since the MLS? Absolutely, but that doesn't discount their past and shouldn't count towards their future.

I look at supporters from Seattle, Portland, Chicago, DC etc etc as competition. They up an ante and thus we have to go above and beyond and re-up that ante. I believe we have the fan base to have the best supporters culture in MLS once again. We just need to be united to do it, we need all the voices to come together. The numbers are there, just not the seat locations.

The townhall last year was the tip of the iceberg. It was a nice gesture but after all the words we (as in both sides, the FO and us) let the action all fall by the wayside. I think we need to have another townhall, air out grievances and start building back the mutual trust and respect. I think this is the crux of the matter. The teams performance as far as supporters culture goes is irrelevant. Everyone loves a lovable loser and people wear the "down on your luck" club like a badge of honour but no one likes a loser who's also an arsehole that sticks it to you every chance they get.

IMHO, we know what to do, the FO knows what to do..we just need to get together and actually do it.

TFCknw
06-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I think this is a flawed context.

Portland Timbers have been around for years and have been well supported during their USL incarnation. Have some people in the stands now jumped on since the MLS? Absolutely, but that doesn't discount their past and shouldn't count towards their future.

I look at supporters from Seattle, Portland, Chicago, DC etc etc as competition. They up an ante and thus we have to go above and beyond and re-up that ante. I believe we have the fan base to have the best supporters culture in MLS once again. We just need to be united to do it, we need all the voices to come together. The numbers are there, just not the seat locations.

The townhall last year was the tip of the iceberg. It was a nice gesture but after all the words we (as in both sides, the FO and us) let the action all fall by the wayside. I think we need to have another townhall, air out grievances and start building back the mutual trust and respect. I think this is the crux of the matter. The teams performance as far as supporters culture goes is irrelevant. Everyone loves a lovable loser and people wear the "down on your luck" club like a badge of honour but no one likes a loser who's also an arsehole that sticks it to you every chance they get.

IMHO, we know what to do, the FO knows what to do..we just need to get together and actually do it.

I agree with your comment about seat locations, but do you really think MLSE are going to listen. They are BAY STREET. I'm not trying to stir up an argument here, but they don't give one hoot about supporters. That townhall meeting was set up to pacify people, like putting a soother in a baby's mouth. If people wanted to protest something, they shouldn't have gone at all. And, as far as Prekiball is concerned, you would have thought after getting rid of him they would have had someone else in place immediately. No, they go and hire some consultant to look for someone in the meantime. These guys just don't give a damn. Toooo bad and sooo sad. Toronto deserves better.

__wowza
06-20-2011, 12:45 PM

instead of talking about supporters talking about other supporters, why don't you just not comment? seriously, are we not allowed to talk about this type of stuff anymore?

Alixir
06-20-2011, 01:36 PM

this starts by not walking out in the 89th minute when Montero scores...support the team through and through...i was disgusted watching 50+ ppl leave 112/113 when it happened

I hate always bringing up the comparison with my J League team but I have been to more J league games then I can count over the last 10 years. Win or lose our supporters don't leave thier seats till after the team leaves the pitch. 2 years ago we were in the relegation zone losing games in ways that would make TFC look like a championship team. Our stadium was always packed for the last month or 2 of the season even though it was impossible for us to battle our way out of relegation because our supporters were there to do what supporters should do...get behind the team and support them. Even at our worst the supporters gave it thier all. We are there for the love of the club through thick and thin. win or lose. No matter if the score is 1-0 or 7-0. Losing sucks, losing late in games sucks, our team might suck but we love them none the less. Now my team sits atop the J2 table and promotion is within our reach as long as we keep our form. What I am saying is that there will always be bad times for the team some times worse then others, but get behind the boys and show them that no matter how shitty it gets that we will be there for them when they need us and reap the rewards when we do well.

nfitz
06-20-2011, 01:42 PM
let's revisit this thread after they've been in the league for 5 years and their team still hasn't made the playoffs that entire time.Timbers Army has been around for a decade. I saw them last year at an away friendly in Seattle. They had more support on the road in Seattle for that "friendly", than I'm aware of at any MLS match, except perhaps some of our games in Columbus.

We're the newbies here ... not Portland! To suggest they are in their first year honeymoon stage is naive.

Parkdale
06-20-2011, 01:50 PM

I'm not discounting their past by saying that they are in a 'honeymoon' phase. It's their first year in the MLS, so things are "like new"

In 2010 they had an average attendance of just over 10,000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Portland_Timbers_season), which is freakin' amazing for a team in D-2. Their attendance leading up to their entry in the MLS was around 7,000 people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Timbers_%28USL%29#Year_by_Year)per game (from 2001 - 2009)

They are now in a stadium holding 18,600 people, so the math tells me that there are about 8,000 people who are there for their first season.

Are they learning from the people who were their in the past? Absolutely YES! But I really don't think it's discrediting to say that they are still enjoying that 'new car smell' even if it's not totally new to everyone.

Fort York Redcoat
06-20-2011, 02:25 PM

Yep. Going early. Staying till the end. Those are steps to becoming "class of the league" again.

jazzy
06-20-2011, 05:22 PM

disgusting yes, but understandable, remember though, even though I stayed, hopefully to salute Winter if he dared venturing over , he didn't for the first time.......the team morosly, also quickly left the scene.............it takes two,.....how long can one be punched in the gut???? can you say leafs?....someday I will have to think this all through.......Did you happen to see Frei, he's dieing out there....and that is killing me,....I like the timbers army because they hate Seattle as I do.

Blowing Bubbles
06-20-2011, 07:02 PM
wow, there are quite a few ppl butthurt here over the fact that there are other supporters out there that *maybe* outdo us?

Brooker
06-20-2011, 07:14 PM
wow, there are quite a few ppl butthurt here over the fact that there are other supporters out there that *maybe* outdo us?

UNTHINKABLE!

TOBOR !
06-20-2011, 07:37 PM
This new thread, same as the old thread.

Fort York Redcoat
06-21-2011, 06:36 AM

C'mon. At least it's a different pile. :D

People get "butthurt" frustrated when they see a level of support fade. We're not the first team to ever experience this. Plenty of the league had this same butthurt when we joined it.

I think my issue would be more how do we view this example of support coming out of Portland? Is it what we really want right now? If it was, we could. We've been close to that level before but I think to gauge response here would be saying that people are far too frustrated to support that way.

Which BTW I think is a shame and is why I can't really stand in awe of Portland.

J .
06-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Support here wont grow here until the wins start adding up in the column.

book it.

J .
06-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Who out does us? The first two - three years here, especially when the team was winning, was tops.

Maybe with a winning record, maybe hold a lead for a while, maybe people would get going.

Tough for casuals and even supporters to get into something when your team is getting butthurt on the field.

__wowza
06-22-2011, 08:29 AM

meet the new thread.
same as the old thread.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/whos_1971-1.jpg

ensco
06-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Front page of the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/24/sports/soccer/in-portland-a-boisterous-army-of-fans-embraces-its-soccer-team.html?_r=1&ref=sports

james
06-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Timbers fans arent really in there honeymoon...Timber supporters were just as good as TFC fans were when Timbers were still in USL, they just happened to be in lesser numbers. And now that the Timbers are in MLS they are the best supporters with close 2nd seattle. Id say we were good in are first 3 years, if we were still like that wed be in the mix of Portland and Seattle for great support. However are honeymoon is over, are team has been shit from day 1, FO security work against us rather then with us, and price increases soared higher and higher. Anything that could of gone wrong against TFC fans has gone wrong. And to be honest it may be very hard to gain the support back now, but a start is lowerring prices to what they were in year 1 and then work from there to get the fans back in there seats.