PDA

View Full Version : Stevanovic heads back to Italy.

Island Man
06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Toronto FC announced Sunday that midfielder Alen Stevanovic has been recalled by Torino F.C. of the Italian Serie B league.

“We are disappointed to see Alen leave our club. He is a good young midfielder and did some good things for us,” said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director, Aron Winter. “We knew a recall was always possible and now the time has come to thank Alen and wish him well.”

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/06/stevanovic-heads-back-italy

Another player gone, disappointed he didn't do more.

Phil
06-19-2011, 11:25 AM
That frees up some money now too.

bertal
06-19-2011, 11:26 AM
happy trails in italy

A.J
06-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Wow, probably a good thing considering the upcoming transfer window and his salary.
I'm also disappointed he couldn't do more here.

I wonder if it was Stevanovic himself who asked for the recall?

J .
06-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Thank god. He was being embarassed here and I bet a call was made for Torino to recall him.

He did absolutely nothing and rates worse than Mista to me.

Yohan
06-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Interesting timing. Unless Torino wants Steva to get some vacation time, wouldn't they want Steva to get couple of more games under his belt?

Whoop
06-19-2011, 11:29 AM
He was disappointing during his time here. Lots of skill but didn't accomplish much.

Roogsy
06-19-2011, 11:32 AM
I could not be more indifferent to this. The only good thing is that it frees up space for the transfer window. Let's hope something good develops from this. We're already "understaffed".

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Timing sucks with the squad being depleted, I wonder if it has to do with the way the transfer windows sink up? He had some quality but wasn't setting the league on fire by any means. Reminded me of Vitti, lots of skill, but seemed to slow down the play a lot.

CSO_BBTB
06-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Would a Serie B team be going into preseason training now? Seems a bit early for that. Looks more like a face saving exit related to not doing enough to justify the cap hit that was handled in the correct sort of manner by Aron Winter.

mowe
06-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Interesting timing. Unless Torino wants Steva to get some vacation time, wouldn't they want Steva to get couple of more games under his belt?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Torino's season ended last month, why would they recall Stevanovic now? Only reason I can think of is that TFC wanted to get him off their books for the summer transfer window.

I'm sad to see Stevanovic go, I thought he was talented. Hopefully we sign someone soon.

Pookie
06-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Seemed like a skillful player that had the aggression necessary to make an impact.

He never really did.

Just goes to show that youtube isn't the best source for scouting reports.

Pookie
06-19-2011, 11:54 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Torino's season ended last month, why would they recall Stevanovic now? Only reason I can think of is that TFC wanted to get him off their books for the summer transfer window.

I'm sad to see Stevanovic go, I thought he was talented. Hopefully we sign someone soon.

It's a big cap relief if that is indeed the motive. Stevanovic was making $240k against the cap.

MG42
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
That 240K is worth more to the team than the contributions Stevo made.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-19-2011, 12:06 PM
^ Frees up room for Frings and Friend.

Beach_Red
06-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Seemed like a skillful player that had the aggression necessary to make an impact.

He never really did.

But often does it happen that players play the least inspired of their career during their time with TFC?

Is scouting really the issue here?

Pookie
06-19-2011, 12:12 PM
^ With Stevanovic I think they felt they had a chance to get a warm body that might have some talent.

It's not like they were scouring his club and choosing between available options. It was probably a contact between the clubs and they offered up this particular player and given that Mariner/Winter had less than 10 weeks to put a roster together, they simply threw this ingredient in the cart and see what it tasted like back at home.

Island Man
06-19-2011, 12:18 PM
We took a chance on him and sadly it backfired.

TFC07
06-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Good! This frees up a lot of cap space for us! He needs to get his head straight if he wants to become successful in his career. This kid got talent, but just mentally he's not there yet.

Yohan
06-19-2011, 12:25 PM
cap relief would be half of his salary so 120k for mid season release

CSO_BBTB
06-19-2011, 12:27 PM
That calculation could be complicated by whether allocation money was used on his salary. Hopefully makes a prorated DP signing possible though.

Cashcleaner
06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Stevanovic showed off a few quality plays here and there, but was disappointing overall. We need better, and the cap relief he'll give us will help do that. Well, that is if the club takes the money and does something proactive with it.

Heathen
06-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Personally I think 5K is worth more to the team than the contributions Stevanovic made while he was here, the goal away to San Jose is all that springs to mind

brad
06-19-2011, 12:42 PM

He never really did.

True. To have to augment it with some Wikipedia scouting work :-)

manic.street.preacher
06-19-2011, 01:26 PM
july 15th can't come soon enough

Azerban
06-19-2011, 01:30 PM
^ Frees up room for Frings and Friend.

gross

drexel10
06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
For whatever reason he didn't play too well here, but for us to improve as a team and contend, we will need 3 or 4 players with his type of technical skill. Right now, we just have one less potentially good player in the lineup. People are happy to see him go, but that is typical here in Toronto. Good home Toronto is, for people who have limited skill and try really really hard.

rocker
06-19-2011, 02:10 PM
he was technically gifted but not particularly aware of his teammates. I attribute this to his youth. He is only 20 years old. He needs to mature..... not sure TFC is the place to give a guy making 240K a couple years to mature.

LesH
06-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Toronto FC announced Sunday that midfielder Alen Stevanovic has been recalled by Torino F.C. of the Italian Serie B league.

“We are disappointed to see Alen leave our club. He is a good young midfielder and did some good things for us,” said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director, Aron Winter. “We knew a recall was always possible and now the time has come to thank Alen and wish him well.”

Good news.
That's all folks!

...You can understand from this my opinion about his time at TFC!

kaos197O
06-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Hopefully we are done signing players to 3-6 month loan deals from here on in. Can't REBUILD when we having a revolving door of players that can vanish at any moments notice!

He has skill, but did nothing for this club!

Cya

LesH
06-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Hopefully we are done signing players to 3-6 month loan deals from here on in. Can't REBUILD when we having a revolving door of players that can vanish at any moments notice!

He has skill, but did nothing for this club!

Cya

Exactly!
If it's declared high and loud that a team is rebuilding then taking a player while knowing in advance you'll have him just for 3-6 months it's a nonsense.

MartinUtd
06-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Meh, his contribution was very limited and almost non existent after his first month. I can only assume this means we're getting some proper signings within the next month.

LesH
06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Meh, his contribution was very limited and almost non existent after his first month. I can only assume this means we're getting some proper signings within the next month.

His contribution was like for a $100 k player, not for what he was signed for.

J .
06-19-2011, 04:13 PM
His contribution was like for a $100 k player, not for what he was signed for.

You rate him much much higher than I do.

Did he even score a goal? Maybe an assist? I expected more. I was hoping for him to at least get a point, goal or assist, every other game. Someone who could create and score the odd goal. He did none of that in both the forward and wide positions.

Hopefully the money will get us two true wide strikers, so plata can learn and come off the bench more so he isnt gassed come September.

MartinUtd
06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
He looked good when playing wide and did well getting the ball down field. I figured he could have made something happen if he'd have stayed there instead of being moved in as a striker or attacking mid. Apparently Winter wants players who can play three positions so I guess he's SOL (if you call staying at TFC luck).

Auzzy
06-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Bye bye Alen! :seeya:

Some people were asking, why now? I would guess, to limit the cap hit. In MLS you can't sign new guys until you have the cap room guaranteed. Plus, once the decision is made, it's safer to move him immediately & avoid injury in the meantime.

LesH
06-19-2011, 04:25 PM
He looked good when playing wide and did well getting the ball down field. I figured he could have made something happen if he'd have stayed there instead of being moved in as a striker or attacking mid. Apparently Winter wants players who can play three positions so I guess he's SOL (if you call staying at TFC luck).

Well, good luck to Winter if he really wants that, he'll need it badly!
That will never happen to 75-80% of players from a roster in a second rate, salary cap struck championship like the MLS.

Blowing Bubbles
06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
good riddance!

lets see how we make out wiht the extra cap space

Alonso
06-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Yeah, exactly. In my mind this was a thanks but no thanks on TFC's part and they are trying to be nice about it as far as the "official" story goes... "Torina called him back to the off season vacation on the beach which needs immediate attention! We would like to thank Stevanovic and regret the fact that he was called back from loan by Torino."....

TOBOR !
06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Meh.

Torino probably decided they'd seen enough and recalled him before he could futher damage his own market value.

brad
06-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Meh.

Torino probably decided they'd seen enough and recalled him before he could futher damage his own market value.

Maybe not market value, but I could see either Steva or Torino deciding that playing the brand of crap we play isn't doing his development any good. Seriously, is playing for TFC going to help this kid develop his game to play in Italy? I think not. I suspect they bought the "just like Ajax" party line and thought that's what he would be doing.

He chose us over a team in the Russian Premier League, be interesting to see if he ends up over there on loan

Carts
06-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Not nearly enough good things for the pricetag / cap hit...

Happy trails...

He's probably happy as a pig in sh*t right now though - he was just given a lifeboat to himself from a sinking ship...

Carts...

prizby
06-19-2011, 09:31 PM

cut that in half

69Chevy396
06-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Lets hope Eckersley isn't next to leave

Roogsy
06-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Lets hope Eckersley isn't next to leave

I would not be surprised if he gets recalled as well for the new season in England. But for different reasons. They might like what they are seeing here and would like to bring him back to actually use him instead of having him ride the bench.

wzhxvy
06-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I dont think there is any conspiracy here. Torino called this guy back. As simple as that. Why they did that who knows but they called him back.

Pachuco
06-19-2011, 09:59 PM
These loans are absolutely bullshit for a rebuilding team. I didn't realize a player on loan could just be recalled any time. This is where this management loses me sometimes.

Either that or Winter is full of shit and can't just admit he didn't work out so he sent him packing. I don't see why he would lie though. In my opinion it makes these guys look more incompetent that they are renting players for 2 months while we are trying to rebuild a team.

Carts
06-19-2011, 10:02 PM
I dont think there is any conspiracy here. Torino called this guy back. As simple as that. Why they did that who knows but they called him back.

I don't want to sound super negative - but playing with TFC right now would hurt someone's development not help it...

Just watch Eckersley out there - he's screaming at his teammates constantly as he'll move into space, make runs, look for teammates and get no help at all...

He looks mad as hell out there at times...

I don't think that is going to help a young man grow as a player - except for learning to keep your head up when you lose... :(

Borga
06-19-2011, 10:35 PM
First time I saw Stefanovic on the pitch, I thought "wow, he looks like he has some moves" and "wow, he thinks he's going to murder everyone in this league". He went out and coughed the ball up repeatedly by trying to beat everyone one on one and missing blatant open, positive passes. I think he figured he was better than MLS and found out quickly he really wasn't.

spark
06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "rebuilding" is MLSE-speak for "we don't have a fucking clue/need to buy time/might be 2-3 years/might be more/gotta keep the plebs onside somehow/we are so screwed/if we say this enough times people will believe it/you're either with us or against us/really want that austrian lake boat my bonus will pay for/hopefully i'll get to go to Spain to research rebuilding"?

CSO_BBTB
06-19-2011, 11:06 PM
These loans are absolutely bullshit for a rebuilding team....

The Stevanovic loan may have been an emergency stopgap measure to try to fill the void left by the DeRosario trade until the opening of the summer transfer window when an attempt would be made to come up with a longer term solution.

Alonso
06-20-2011, 02:33 AM
Maybe not market value, but I could see either Steva or Torino deciding that playing the brand of crap we play isn't doing his development any good. Seriously, is playing for TFC going to help this kid develop his game to play in Italy? I think not. I suspect they bought the "just like Ajax" party line and thought that's what he would be doing.

He chose us over a team in the Russian Premier League, be interesting to see if he ends up over there on loan

Don't buy this one bit, if he is any good he can prove it anywhere. Like Eckersley is doing on this team, or Plata for that matter.

Plata has two goals and two assists on the same team that Stevanovic is playing on, and Stevanovic had more playing time.

Stevanovic can't pass to an open team mate if his life depended on it. Plus he runs into the defense and turns the ball over practically every time.

I think when he admits to himself that he is not Messi and should probably start looking for a pass to alleviate the pressure he's under from three defencemen the better off he will be.

Fort York Redcoat
06-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Later Stevo. Wish you could've done more. Loan deals always have a bit of desperation in them. TFC saw flashes of talent that never really showed in his time playing for us. It's a move that's better for all involved.

NEXT!

cincy
06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Where was the option to buy ....lol

TOBOR !
06-20-2011, 06:54 AM
^ but that's the general idea behind a loan, isn't it ? We'll borrow you're guy amd if he pans out we'll make an offer. However, there have to be riders attached, such as : if you take him back it has to be before he plays X amount of minutes for us, after which time you have to leave him here for the duration of our season.

Oldtimer
06-20-2011, 07:06 AM

Torino needs to recall him during the transfer window, otherwise he can't play until January. We needn't read anything into it. Either Torino wanted him or TFC didn't, but the timing doesn't give us a clue.

maninb
06-20-2011, 07:46 AM
^Agreed....let's move on....he was a failure and we need the money...now let's use it for something other than an old washed up striker....

levyashin
06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
great move ,he had no desire to be here.maybe another 5-6 to get rid of.WE LIVE IN HOPE.

Detroit_TFC
06-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Torino needs to recall him during the transfer window, otherwise he can't play until January. We needn't read anything into it. Either Torino wanted him or TFC didn't, but the timing doesn't give us a clue.

Yep. I agree. Winter has already said he's going shopping in July so this is just part of getting things squared away.

jvanpeebles
06-20-2011, 09:18 AM
If this player had even half the empact that we thought he would we would not have had him here very long anyways. Without a doubt we are developing young talent to play a new system. But with the cap hit of 240,000 you are not expecting to develop a player like this and then watch him leave. Makes no business sense. He was a stop gap measure with an upside to helping the team in the short term. he didn't make the grand impact and as such we are watching him leave. I agree with others that the timing is suspect but maybe that bodes welll for us.Get some experience in her next month and continue to develop players.
Cheers

denime
06-20-2011, 12:06 PM
With Stefanovic just didn't work out for all parties- it was best for all to move on separate ways.

jloome
06-23-2011, 02:12 AM
http://www.toronews.net/?action=article&ID=22812

Anyone speak Italian? Seems to be saying Stevanovic's option at Torino won't be renewed.

Could be wrong.

CSO_BBTB
06-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Google translate's translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toronews.net%2F%3Faction%3Darti cle%26ID%3D22812

JuliquE
06-23-2011, 04:42 AM
.. and Stevanovic will decide their future with the company grenade.

Does that sit in a casing similar to a fire extinguisher? Think MLSE has been using theirs every season -- no need for annual checks, as they can be sure it's working.

CSO_BBTB
06-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Think it's a mistranslation of a nickname for Torino.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/granata

granata f (plural granate (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/granate#Italian))

grenade (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/grenade), hand grenade (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hand_grenade)
pomegranate (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pomegranate)
member (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/member) or supporter (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/supporter) of Torino FC
maroon (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/maroon)

menefreghista
06-23-2011, 08:24 AM
According to this: http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=276300 Inter and Torino will continue to co-own Stevanovic.

menefreghista
06-23-2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.toronews.net/?action=article&ID=22812

Anyone speak Italian? Seems to be saying Stevanovic's option at Torino won't be renewed.

Could be wrong.

My Italian isn't that good, but I'm pretty sure this says that Inter and Torino have agreed to continue to co-own Stevanovic.

Personally I think the eventual outcome for him is to be loaned to another Serie B side (or possible C1) or he will head home to play in Serbia.

Edit: The article I linked to matches jloome's.

Also, granata is Torino's team colour.

micpar
09-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Stevanovic scores for Torino:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX60mKZn1Dk

Baggio2TFC
09-05-2011, 08:32 AM
.....and an assist!

GuelphStorm2007
09-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I did not mind Stevenovic when he was here, but he didi flop around to much for my liking and maybe at the same time he did not get use to the physical style of MLS.

Gazza
09-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I really don't think he took his time here seriously.

He was a passenger. Good luck to him in Italy.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2011, 04:09 PM
cost too much, did too little

JavierMartini
09-05-2011, 05:08 PM
holy thread necro batman.

DichioTFC
09-06-2011, 04:09 AM
The trend of former players doing well elsewhere continues (Vitti, LaBrocca, DeRo...)

I always thought Stevanovic needed time to settle in on the pitch. The fact that he was recalled so quickly probably means TFC and MLS will never see another Italian league player on loan for a long, long time.

Brooker
09-06-2011, 05:28 AM
The trend of former players doing well elsewhere continues (Vitti, LaBrocca, DeRo...)

I always thought Stevanovic needed time to settle in on the pitch. The fact that he was recalled so quickly probably means TFC and MLS will never see another Italian league player on loan for a long, long time.

If all we would be missing out on is players like Stevanovic then I say thank fucking god.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-06-2011, 06:32 AM
If all we would be missing out on is players like Stevanovic then I say thank fucking god.

cosign.
a goal and an assist in one game is hardly missing out.

Auzzy
09-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Even a broken clock is right twice every day...

Pookie
09-06-2011, 10:27 AM

The other side of the coin is the trend of current players doing well here recently under their time with Winter (Gordon, Marosevic, Avila, and even JDG...)

Brooker
09-06-2011, 11:11 AM
The other side of the coin is the trend of current players doing well here recently under their time with Winter (Gordon, Marosevic, Avila, and even JDG...)

What the fuck are you doing? Only the negatives! Focus! :D

Pookie
09-06-2011, 11:16 AM
^ my bad. Forgot where I was for moment.

rocker
09-06-2011, 03:32 PM

And then there's that trend of players sucking at TFC and then getting released and sucking elsewhere.

We've had all kinds..... I guess when you have so much turnover you're bound to have some who go off and play well, some who go off and play as badly as they did at TFC. lol.

Serb_Star
10-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Alen is playing really well for 1st place Torino in Serie B, hes even being talked about as a potential callup to Serbia's U21's.

Relja
10-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Hopefully in the Serbian U21s they'll toughen him up

maninb
10-05-2011, 07:39 AM
In Italy you have far more time on the ball, and you don't get hit as much...Those 2 factors seemed to surprise him, and he never adjusted....he seemed very very soft imo...

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Torino's playing today. Probably find stream at livetv.ru/en for those interested.

ginkster88
10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
He thought he was above the league and it showed.

It's a team game, not many players in the world would be so far above the league that they could do everything on their own.

starter
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM

It's a team game, not many players in the world would be so far above the league that they could do everything on their own.

If Santos passed to him on that 'sure' goal, he might have shared the ball more himself... Glad for him anyways.

trane
10-05-2011, 06:25 PM

I think that this is it. He felt that this was a demotion not an opportunity to play. He clearly has tallent and an upside. But clearly he was not going to give it his all here.

It is a team game and no player is above the team. You either play so that the team is better, or hurt the team by not giving it your all no matter how good you are, you need to put in the work.

Frings, Danny K and Dichio have shown how players can lift the play of the entire team, while guys like Cunny have shown that even if you have tallent but you do not put in the work you bring the team down.