PDA

View Full Version : Eks, could we possibly buy him from Burnley?

Doucet3
06-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Was just wondering if it's possible we lock him up for our team, I know he's on loan till January 2012, what happens after that we just going to let him leave?, personally I'd love to get him on a 5 year and slap the armband on him

Chevy
06-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Every MLS loan deal has a buyout clause in it. Question is what is the dollar amount and would he be willing to stay here?

Doucet3
06-18-2011, 08:12 PM
I'd think so, no?, he stated he wants regular team play, with TFC he'll get that and look like an all star, and if we sold Edu for 5 Million I think we could get eks for 2.5-3.5 mill

Chevy
06-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I honestly don't think he would stay - likely better options out there for him based on his play this year.

Would you sign a 2-3 year deal in the 40th best league in the world when a few years ago you played for Man U?

Alixir
06-18-2011, 08:16 PM
thats if he actually decides to stay with this shitshow.

QSIM
06-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Going from Man Utd to TFC.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind staying.

Blowing Bubbles
06-18-2011, 08:51 PM
I love how everyone throws in the Man U connection ..... dude was a sub 2 times 3 years ago for fuck sakes. Ie. he didn't fucking jack shit with them.

It's not like if he does well here Alex is gonna be all over it.

Chevy
06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Dude, I'm just sayin that going from Man U (he was the reserve player of the year there) to the 40th best league in the world is not a real attractive proposition.

SirBobSaget
06-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm sure his play has caught the eye of some English teams. It will be hard to pull him away from opportunities back home.

A.J
06-18-2011, 11:08 PM
But he's not coming from Man U, is he?

Get it through your head that he's not at Man U. anymore.

cmonyoureds
06-18-2011, 11:19 PM
naw he's not ManU anymore, but he's a heck of a lot closer to ManU level than he is TFC level now isnt he?

TFCREDNWHITE
06-18-2011, 11:25 PM
He is great! I love his ability!! Best RB we have had in 5 years! Did you see him diagonally cross the ball to Plata!! Put it on a fucking platter for the kid!

A.J
06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't know. Whatever "Man U level" or "TFC level" means, him playing for TFC at the moment and not Man U. might suggest otherwise.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-18-2011, 11:43 PM
If he's not in Burnley's long term plans, they'd most likely release him to play in the MLS. I think it might be more of an issue if he'd want to play with TFC on a permanent basis. I suspect he could find a team in the League One or the Championship if he wanted.

cmonyoureds
06-18-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't know. Whatever "Man U level" or "TFC level" means, him playing for TFC at the moment and not Man U. might suggest otherwise.

ManU level = possibly second best team in world

TFC level = possibly one of worst in MLS

Ecks plays at a level closer to being on a great team in the best league in the world than he does being on a crap team in a crap league.

In other words, he's too good for us. His play would suggest exactly this.

Actually, nevermind. If you can't distinguish between football at a "ManU level" and at a "TFC level" then please don't take it out on my comments.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-18-2011, 11:49 PM
ManU level = possibly second best team in world

TFC level = possibly one of worst in MLS

Ecks plays at a level closer to being on a great team in the best league in the world than he does being on a crap team in a crap league.

In other words, he's too good for us. His play would suggest exactly this.

Teams like Man U go through players like this board goes through threads, just cause someone had a cup of coffee with a big team doesn't mean there of a certain standard. He's a good player, but suggesting he's too good for us is a little over the top. Look at the teams he went on loan with and failed to make an impact with.

Serb_Star
06-19-2011, 01:45 AM
I thought he gave the ball away to many times today.

Couchy81
06-19-2011, 02:17 AM
I thought he gave the ball away to many times today.

One more notch on the MLS belt, if we can sign him it will be great.

CretanBull
06-19-2011, 02:23 AM
I'd think so, no?, he stated he wants regular team play, with TFC he'll get that and look like an all star, and if we sold Edu for 5 Million I think we could get eks for 2.5-3.5 mill

No chance that he's worth anywhere near that much.

69Chevy396
06-19-2011, 07:34 AM
This crap team needs defenders who can defend. He is the best one we have seen to date. He is better at his position than JDG is at his. Signing him long term would send a strong signal to us that Winter knows what the fuck he is doing. As it stands today, this team has two quality players that would rank as substitutes on an mls all star team: Frei and Eck. And both are likely to leave within a season or two if Winter does not fuck up.

Island Man
06-19-2011, 07:42 AM
I agree that he has done very good for us, and has been a bright spark in an otherwise awful season. People suggesting he is worth £2.5-3.0m is just wrong - he is worth no where near that. I wouldn't be surprised if our 'buy out' fee is around 200-300k. He wasn't rated at Burnley.

menefreghista
06-19-2011, 07:46 AM
naw he's not ManU anymore, but he's a heck of a lot closer to ManU level than he is TFC level now isnt he?

This is silly.

I like Eckersley and hope we can keep him. But the guy was struggling to find a game in League Two! He is closer to TFC level than ManU, by a wide margin.

If you take a look at his career trajectory his next move in England was most likely going to be the Conference. If he was lucky maybe another League 2 team.

It appears he has found his level, MLS. He is performing really well here.

As for whether we can keep him, I would think we have a decent shot at that. He can't possibly cost that much. And as someone stated above, maybe Burnley would just release him? He's obviously not in their plans.

Cashcleaner
06-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Eckersley is a good fit for TFC, but I wouldn't get too carried away with him. Yes, all loans to MLS have a buy-out clause so it's entirely possible to pick him up, but I'd hope we show some restraint in any potential deal with him.

Blowing Bubbles
06-19-2011, 08:10 AM
also the transfer fee goes into his cap hit so if you really want to pay 2.5-3.5 mill for him then he is going to be a DP.

eustacchio
06-19-2011, 08:16 AM
he's impressed me more than any of our DPs ever have.

Jack
06-19-2011, 09:00 AM
He's done well, but there's no way in hell he's even remotely worth that much of a cap hit. I'd be happy keeping him and paying him well, but not anything like DP money.

Yohan
06-19-2011, 09:09 AM
He's done well, but there's no way in hell he's even remotely worth that much of a cap hit. I'd be happy keeping him and paying him well, but not anything like DP money.
Eck is a great MLS RB. worth like 150-175k per year

Jack
06-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Yep.

J .
06-19-2011, 11:32 AM
If Burnley isnt going to use him, he will be sold. It depends I think on the future of TFC and if it improves over the coming months. If he got a chance to feature in championship, then he wouldnt, but I think playing in MLS regularly offers as much a chance as him moving up in his career than playing in League 1 sparingly.

This was a chance for him to pickup a career that has stalled, he is impressing, but lets not get crazy. He is a decent rb in MLS, he can put in a decent cross 50% of the time, but his work rate is 90 minutes which is great.

Cashcleaner
06-19-2011, 12:36 PM
^ Oh for sure. If you compare his overall quality of play as a defender with the others in the league, he's not really outstanding. He's a good defender. Maybe a little above-average. However, he's got good hustle and anchors the backline and that certainly helps.

Yohan
06-19-2011, 12:38 PM
^ Oh for sure. If you compare his overall quality of play as a defender with the others in the league, he's not really outstanding. He's a good defender. Maybe a little above-average. However, he's got good hustle and anchors the backline and that certainly helps.
hrm. I think Eck would be among top 3, maybe top 5 right backs in the league right now. Then again, MLS isn't really known for good quality full backs

Cashcleaner
06-19-2011, 12:42 PM
^ Really? I think that's a very high opinion of him, but I dunno. Playing on a below-average team might be skewing my perception, perhaps. But I guess you're right in that the league itself isn't awash in stellar FBs to begin with.

Island Man
06-19-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't know if I rate him that highly, stood out more because 90% of the the other players have been very poor.

brad
06-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Ecks is a solid player. Decent technique, great read on the game, and a high work rate. In my 5th year of watching MLS I certainly rate him as one of the best fullbacks I've seen in this league.

I will be very surprised if he is not playing the Championship next year, based on a few things.
-kid has talent and potential. 2 years ago Fergie offered him a new contract, and he rejected it to go to Burnley. This is well worth noting, as he wasn't a Man Utd reject cast off to the lower leagues, he was a player Fergie still saw potential in and wanted to keep. That says a lot.
-He went to Burnley to play. He wasn't able to break into the first team, based on what I've read this was no fault of his, but they had a right fullback ahead of him in the pecking order that was solid and had a lock on the position.
-He got lent to Burnly and flopped. No idea why here. It could be that he's not good enough to play at that level, it could be lack of fitness from not playing affected his game, it could be that going from a promising prospect at one of the best teams in Europe to fighting for a game in the lower leagues threw his confidence off.

That said, I think a season of regular football, even at a lower level is going to do him a world of good. The English look favorably on the quality of the MLS now, especially since Donavan's stint with Everton. A good season with TFC will give him value over there. Also, ex-United trainee's are generally considered worth a punt in the lower leagues, as many of them have gone on to be really good lower division players.

Yohan
06-19-2011, 01:03 PM
That said, I think a season of regular football, even at a lower level is going to do him a world of good. The English look favorably on the quality of the MLS now, especially since Donavan's stint with Everton. A good season with TFC will give him value over there.
Plus Timmy Howard and Dempsey being top players on their respective teams. And couple of other MLS players doing decent for their clubs (like Stuart Holden before his injury)

brad
06-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Plus Timmy Howard and Dempsey being top players on their respective teams. And couple of other MLS players doing decent for their clubs (like Stuart Holden before his injury)

If it wasn't for work permit issues and the fact that the MLS tends to over value players I think that there would be a lot more MLS products in England, particularly in the Championship.

rocker
06-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Yep... and we need to sign this guy because it would solidify a position we've always had trouble with. Even if we have to overpay a bit. We've seen he can do a solid job at that position. That position is now the least of our worries. No sense looking for anyone else there. . Hopefully he's willing (and the cap space exists) to sign him up and then move on to filling other positions. I would have no qualms with giving him that money and have him as our starting RB for years to come.

Alonso
06-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Done.

Sign him up Yohan.

Auzzy
06-19-2011, 06:08 PM
He is great! I love his ability!! Best RB we have had in 5 years! Did you see him diagonally cross the ball to Plata!! Put it on a fucking platter for the kid!

Like three times, that was totally amazing! (Then Doneil Henry tried a similar pass to Plata, from not as far on the right, i.e. easier pass, but failed twice.)

Sometimes you see glimpses of inconsistency or brain farts on the part of Eckersley, like when he's dribbled the ball out of touch with no pressure anywhere near him. And although I can really understand his frustration with many of his teammates, sometimes he goes overboard, or screws up an easy play shortly after -- and seeing stuff like that doesn't necessarily help to build a team. (Like yesterday he tried to slip a pass to Soolsma, inside & behind the defenders, when it was totally obvious that Soolsma was much too far away & too far outside to get that -- pass outside down the wing was the obvious choice. Other games however, Soolsma had that run available & didn't make it, so missed Eck's pass -- mostly Soolsma's fault in those cases.)

I don't really want to criticize Ecks -- he's obviously one of TFC's best players now. I just think a bit more experience is good for him, before he's ready for any of the best leagues in the world. He's also 22, so can still learn a bit. That in mind, getting lots of playing time here, is better than riding the pine elsewhere.

I also try to stay on an even keel, with individual players & the whole team, both on the negative & the positive. We see so much inconstency everywhere. We completely tear apart some players (and the "fools" that sign or play them), and then the same players come back & play quite decent a few weeks later. Other players, we praise to high heaven, and they kinda disappear afterwards...

Blowing Bubbles
06-19-2011, 06:56 PM
hrm. I think Eck would be among top 3, maybe top 5 right backs in the league right now. Then again, MLS isn't really known for good quality full backs

that's a pretty big statement. how many games a week do you watch?

Jenkins12
06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
People should drop the Man United connection with this guy, he was on their books and got a game or 2 just like 100's of kids that didn't make it in the top 3 leagues of English football. He looks like he could be a good player in the MLS and I hope he stays.

jloome
06-20-2011, 11:18 AM
People should drop the Man United connection with this guy, he was on their books and got a game or 2 just like 100's of kids that didn't make it in the top 3 leagues of English football. He looks like he could be a good player in the MLS and I hope he stays.

He was reserve player of the year in 08 and they offered him a new deal last year to continue developing, which he turned down because he thought he could win the starting spot at Burnley.

That's not "just like 100's of kids that didn't make it in the top 3 leagues of English football." Most of those kids are released without ever seeing a first team game and certainly aren't offered a contract extension at age 21. And in United's case many of those guys are plying their trade in both the premier and championship even so.

So that's kind of a rank generalization and not sure it applies in this case. Also agree that, whether top five or not, he's certainly up there with the better fullbacks in this league.

Fort York Redcoat
06-20-2011, 11:19 AM

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28417

He's pretty much the first guy every week to talk about other teams in this league.

and good on him. It's our league.

maninb
06-20-2011, 11:48 AM
No chance that he's worth anywhere near that much. WTF??

he's certainly in Edu's category....Rangers way overpaid for edu...

Technorgasm
06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
. . tear this league apart.

levyashin
06-20-2011, 12:14 PM
$175000/200000 per is top level for ecks considering the rest of the league.then all we have to do is find 9 more like him.all the subs could then be from the academy.the top priority is getting rid of degusman.

Yohan
06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Since 08 about 2-3 games per week on avg, excl TFC games. Though not much last year due to work.

Gobi
06-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Ecks is a great MLS RB. worth like 150-175k per year

Agreed.
The other guys in that pay range are just overpaid.
Ecks (X) is the hardest working man on the squad and deserves close to 200K; unfortunately the guys making more than that simply don't.

Mexinese
06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Was just wondering if it's possible we lock him up for our team, I know he's on loan till January 2012, what happens after that we just going to let him leave?, personally I'd love to get him on a 5 year and slap the armband on him

Im pretty sure the rule is for MLS is that, you cant pick up a player on loan if they are not eligible of being singed if the team wants him. :scarf:

Mark in Ottawa
06-20-2011, 06:48 PM
I would love to see him stay with TFC. He seems the kind of player we need.
I find it interesting that everyone is talking about MLS vs English football as his future.

Have we forgotten that football is a world game?
He could end up being courted by any number of leagues in any number of countries.
Ultimately though ... the choice is his.

ExiledRed
06-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Im pretty sure the rule is for MLS is that, you cant pick up a player on loan if they are not eligible of being singed if the team wants him. :scarf:

this does not mean he has to be affordable

brad
06-20-2011, 07:19 PM
this does not mean he has to be affordable

And he has to want to stay.

Fort York Redcoat
06-21-2011, 06:20 AM
I find it interesting that everyone is talking about MLS vs English football as his future.

Have we forgotten that football is a world game?
He could end up being courted by any number of leagues in any number of countries.

England-Where he came from.
MLS-Where he is.

Of course that's what we're going to start with. Now that he's left the comfort of his home country you're right that he might continue with different leagues. I hope not.