PDA

View Full Version : Owen Hargreaves

Pages : [1] 2 3

AjayNI
06-18-2011, 07:40 PM
http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2011/04/manchester-united-midfielder-seeks-mls-salvation

Possibility ?:flare:

TFCRegina
06-18-2011, 07:42 PM
NO FUcking Thank you.

Chevy
06-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Good lord, give it up. We have enough injured players.

Eastend
06-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Really? Do you even follow football?

Redcoe15
06-18-2011, 08:16 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/noob_Freaking_Noob-s500x470-48265-580.jpg

MartinUtd
06-18-2011, 08:19 PM
He would tear this league apart.

Chevy
06-18-2011, 08:23 PM

True. His medical bills alone would cause Columbus and NE to fold.

cmonyoureds
06-18-2011, 11:22 PM
everybody hates a canadian that left to do what was best for him.

really, would you play for the CSA???? cmon, give your head a shake.

TFCREDNWHITE
06-18-2011, 11:22 PM
No thanks

TFCRegina
06-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Unequivocally, yes.

J .
06-18-2011, 11:24 PM
I wouldnt watch a single TFC game if he played here and openly cheer for them to lose until he left.

J .
06-18-2011, 11:25 PM

He won nothing with England.

TFCRegina
06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I wouldnt watch a single TFC game if he played here and openly cheer for them to lose until he left.

I can think of an entire Montreal Impact roster that I'd sign before Owen Hargreaves.

Not only is he a piece of shit, he's also a piece of shit with a bad knee.

Exactly what TFC doesn't need, another busted knee.

cmonyoureds
06-18-2011, 11:30 PM
He won nothing with England.

never said he did. all I said was he did what was best for him. And I'd argue he'd win nothing with TFC as well.

Most of the people that hate him would leave their current jobs for a higher paying one in a heartbeat.

prizby
06-18-2011, 11:36 PM
never said he did. all I said was he did what was best for him. And I'd argue he'd win nothing with TFC as well.

Most of the people that hate him would leave their current jobs for a higher paying one in a heartbeat.

he can take his fucking healthcard and stick it up his ass

this is like McGleish signing for Villa...

cmonyoureds
06-18-2011, 11:37 PM
I can think of an entire Montreal Impact roster that I'd sign before Owen Hargreaves.

Not only is he a piece of shit, he's also a piece of shit with a bad knee.

Exactly what TFC doesn't need, another busted knee.

I've never met him, is it safe to assume you have judging by your comments?

I think it was actually a hamstring that did him in last time.

If by piece of *** you mean someone who made it to the top flight of football and was a standout player in a world cup at the highest level, then yeah, guess you're right.
:picard:

cmonyoureds
06-18-2011, 11:39 PM
he can take his fucking healthcard and stick it up his ass

this is like McGleish signing for Villa...

not sure i get what you're saying here. who's mcgleish? and how is this like him signing for villa?

(and before I'm accused of not knowing anything, my family heritage sees us taking the bus to school from across the street to villa park)

TFC Bhoy
06-19-2011, 12:47 AM
not sure i get what you're saying here. who's mcgleish? and how is this like him signing for villa?

(and before I'm accused of not knowing anything, my family heritage sees us taking the bus to school from across the street to villa park)
Alex Mcleish has been the manager of Birmingham city for the last couple years, but they got relegated this year, and so he has now taken up the manager position at Aston Villa, who is also from Birmingham and is Birmingham City's huge derby rivals.

werewolf
06-19-2011, 01:49 AM

Don't think many peoples issues with him are regarding how he whined his way out of Munich for Manchester, so the above quoted is not relevant.

Couchy81
06-19-2011, 02:20 AM
No

No was too short a response to post a reply so I'll also say nah.

Blowing Bubbles
06-19-2011, 07:38 AM
nevermind that he turned his back on Canada, the guy is a fucking cripple.

Island Man
06-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Does it really matter? Not like he would ever come here in a million years anyways! (Thank God)

menefreghista
06-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Putting aside the fact that he's a massive douchebag, his injury history alone is reason enough to not even look at him.

Cashcleaner
06-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Haven't we already had enough of a poisonous locker room at TFC? Haven't we already had enough injuries as well for that matter?

I simply don't see how Hargreaves would turn things around here. He's just not worth the trouble.

Azerban
06-19-2011, 10:00 AM
ahahahaha you fucking people i swear to god

owen fucking hargreaves

Cashcleaner
06-19-2011, 10:12 AM
^ ??? I think you're losing the plot, Az. You're talking about two people out of like fifteen that wouldn't mind seeing him here.

Perspective - you need some.

brad
06-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Unless MLS allowed for pay-for-play contracts this would be a colossal waste of money. Man Utd with all of their financial backing (in the forum of some of the best sports medical care money can buy) could not get him fit to play. He would be a waste.

TFC07
06-19-2011, 10:14 AM
IF he wanted to play in MLS, he'll sign with Vancouver (close to his hometown and there were rumours Vancouver wanted to sign him in the past) or possibly L.A. (Beckham connection) instead of Toronto.

brad
06-19-2011, 10:18 AM
If he signed anywhere, I'd be suprised if it was Vancouver as somone with his injury history would not want to play on turf (an yes, I know TFC train on turf).

I predict TFC sign him right before renewals so they can parade the "we signed a Man Utd player - look at our ambition" marketing angle.

deeznutz
06-19-2011, 10:59 AM
NO FUcking Thank you.

But we cheered for Vitti??

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Cashcleaner
06-19-2011, 11:08 AM
^ Oddly, he seems to be doing pretty good in Peru.

And yes, I can hardly believe it as well.

TFC07
06-19-2011, 12:26 PM
If he signed anywhere, I'd be suprised if it was Vancouver as somone with his injury history would not want to play on turf (an yes, I know TFC train on turf).

I predict TFC sign him right before renewals so they can parade the "we signed a Man Utd player - look at our ambition" marketing angle.

I am not sure MLSE is crazy enough to sign him. I am sure they're well aware what will happen if they decide to sign him. TFC will be hated even more and lose a lot of it's hardcore fans.

EDIT: We don't need anymore defensive mids on this team. We need attacking players which Owen isn't one. So signing Owen wouldn't make any sense both on field and off field.

TFCRegina
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
But we cheered for Vitti??

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Vitti wasn't a douchebag that turned his back on Canada.

Also, Vitti isn't a fucking broken body.

brad
06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
I am not sure MLSE is crazy enough to sign him. I am sure they're well aware what will happen if they decide to sign him. TFC will be hated even more and lose a lot of it's hardcore fans.

EDIT: We don't need anymore defensive mids on this team. We need attacking players which Owen isn't one. So signing Owen wouldn't make any sense both on field and off field.

I think you vastly overestimate how many TFC fans would care.

brad
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Vitti wasn't a douchebag that turned his back on Canada.

Also, Vitti isn't a fucking broken body.

Guevera then - he didn't turn his back on Canada, but his antics with Honduras made him one of the most hated opposition players for CMNT fans. Those fans were happy to get behind him in TFC red.

Heathen
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I think you vastly overestimate how many TFC fans would care.

I think you underestimate just how much those who that do care, really care

Carts
06-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Taking away the "Canada" part of the equation - I would still say NO to signing him...

In a scrappy, physical league, an injury prone player is simply not a wise move...

Look at Alan Gordon, our best player by far, the team is better when he is on the pitch - and sadly the doctor sees him more than we do...

Why bring a guy in that has a documented history of injury, after injury, after injury...

Not a smart move - I hope it doesn't happen...

Carts...

brad
06-19-2011, 10:47 PM
I think you underestimate just how much those who that do care, really care

How so? When I go to CMNT games, I see a couple hundred people that actually care about the CMNT enough on level that they might hate Hargreaves for what he did. Small drop compared the to the 15-20k that are there for TFC every week.

That's my reasoning- so what's yours?

EDIT: I know that some absolutely loathe him, and really don't care - that's besides the point .

Heathen
06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
How so? When I go to CMNT games, I see a couple hundred people that actually care about the CMNT enough on level that they might hate Hargreaves for what he did. Small drop compared the to the 15-20k that are there for TFC every week.

That's my reasoning- so what's yours?

EDIT: I know that some absolutely loathe him, and really don't care - that's besides the point .

I think you'll find that there's more than a couple of hundred and they just happen to be the ones who're way more likely to be closely involved in the SGs. Sure your average soccer mum or corporate doesn't have a clue who he is.

brad
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I think you'll find that there's more than a couple of hundred and they just happen to be the ones who're way more likely to be closely involved in the SGs. Sure your average soccer mum or corporate doesn't have a clue who he is.

Where are all these people when the National team play for $17/ticket? We had 112 and 113 during the Ecuador game. I'd find it pretty sad if they are sitting in there basement hating on Hargreaves as opposed to coming out and supporting their national team.

Most people I know outside of SG's that know him wish he'd played for Canada but think he made the right choice for his career.

Heathen
06-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Where are all these people when the National team play for $17/ticket? We had 112 and 113 during the Ecuador game. I'd find it pretty sad if they are sitting in there basement hating on Hargreaves as opposed to coming out and supporting their national team.

Most people I know outside of SG's that know him wish he'd played for Canada but think he made the right choice for his career.

I said there were more than a couple of hundred not thousands but if a significant number of the most committed fans (those in the SGs) don't want him for his history that shouldn't be dismissed.

Alonso
06-20-2011, 02:23 AM
http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2011/04/manchester-united-midfielder-seeks-mls-salvation

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!!!

John Stamos
06-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Owen Hargreaves only played like 26-27 games for united in four years. As good as he is, it is wasted money.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Owen Hargreaves only played like 26-27 games for united in four years. As good as he is, it is wasted money.

That is a generous analysis.

The douchebag has played in 5 games in the last 3 seasons.

raj100
06-20-2011, 08:03 AM
isnt their a possibility that moving to the mls may be better for his injuries? considering that we would be, most likely, training on the day to day bases at a lower physically damaging rate then at a much bigger club like manure?

and for those hating on him playing for england... if he scores the mls cup winner with a 40 yard volley... will you be celebrating? let him come back to canada to play... if anything that will be bigger for canada in terms of exposure as he will bring much more media coverage as a result of being a name player moving overseas, rather than playing for team canada, and not drastically improving them... (canada team isnt one player away from glory, its an awful team..)

MartinUtd
06-20-2011, 08:08 AM
MLS is a very physical league, it just lacks technical skill which will result in even more hard fouls. Trust me, no good can come out of the OG coming to MLS/TFC.

scooterTFC
06-20-2011, 08:28 AM
I hope columbus or montreal sign him.

I hope he plays in a game against us.

I hope we sign Saric/Harmse to a 1 game contract for the game against Owen.

I hope Saric/Harmse mangle whats left of his knee cap with a terrible tackle. I'm talking about a Joe Theisman like moment where seeing th replay 25 years later still makes you queezy.

Welcome to the MLS Owen :)

P.S. If he signs with an MLS team he better not count as a 'domestic' player.

Roogsy
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the MLS Owen :)

Didn't Adrian Serioux say something similar to Beckham when he gave him a vicious tackle?

Love it...

Pachuco
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Nothing to do with what country he chose to play for. But way too many injuries to take a chance on this kid. As good as he's been when healthy, I wouldn't take that chance. I'd rather keep JDG for the kind of money Owen would want.

On a side note, I don't understand how people don't get why someone would rather play for England over Canada when it's totally within their right to do so.

MorrisGarage
06-20-2011, 09:24 AM
I would definately give him a shot, His knees are no longer an issue. His latest injury setback was a shoulder injury incured in training when he went to head a ball and landed on his shoulder. As for playing for England vs Canada, i can't hold that against him, the goal of a pro athelete is to play at the highest level possible, something you won't get playing for Canada. We couldn't even get out of the first round of the Gold Cup sadly.

ginkster88
06-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Hargreaves, Frings and Friend would at least make TFC interesting again. There's nothing going on with this club right now. Last match was a brutal display from both sides; my friend who was at the match with me remarked that it looked like a high school match, and she was right. Not to mention the strange silence from 111-113 for much of the first half. I'm not being critical but it seemed very subdued and I actually wondered if there was a protest going on.

backbeat
06-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Nothing to do with what country he chose to play for. But way too many injuries to take a chance on this kid. As good as he's been when healthy, I wouldn't take that chance. I'd rather keep JDG for the kind of money Owen would want.

On a side note, I don't understand how people don't get why someone would rather play for England over Canada when it's totally within their right to do so.

i agree the hate-on is way over the top - both parents are from GB and all his siblings are born in GB. he was born in canna and lived here until age 16 - he chose to play for a team that's certainly a strong part of his family make-up that has a massive history. i really don't see the issue.

as far as our needs go i think he's a liability.

Redcoe15
06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Didn't Adrian Serioux say something similar to Beckham when he gave him a vicious tackle?

Love it...
Yup. :D

Adrian is one of my all time favourites.

zeelaw
06-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Fuck him, fuck him so much...

Azerban
06-20-2011, 10:09 AM
^ ??? I think you're losing the plot, Az. You're talking about two people out of like fifteen that wouldn't mind seeing him here.

this is like the fifth thread about this, and i don't feel it's the same person every time; it keeps coming up and it's dumb as heck every time

and two is still way too much, sorry

Azerban
06-20-2011, 10:10 AM

owen hargreaves is not a manchester united player

Nomad
06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
I'll support anyone who turned their back on Canada. ;)

Welcome Owen!

uncle p
06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
I would definately give him a shot, His knees are no longer an issue. His latest injury setback was a shoulder injury incured in training when he went to head a ball and landed on his shoulder. As for playing for England vs Canada, i can't hold that against him, the goal of a pro athelete is to play at the highest level possible, something you won't get playing for Canada. We couldn't even get out of the first round of the Gold Cup sadly.

Thats the point!!! How can we take the next step when our players choose to play elsewhere? Canada needs all its best players on our side of the pitch!!!

Im sorry but id rather lose with Canada than win with Scotland or Italy (my parents)

Mark in Ottawa
06-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Unless MLS allowed for pay-for-play contracts this would be a colossal waste of money. Man Utd with all of their financial backing (in the forum of some of the best sports medical care money can buy) could not get him fit to play. He would be a waste.
^^ +1

Suds
06-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Absolutely not. And especially not at DP money

Our number one issue is finishing around the net, and another central denfender a close second. Owen does not address either of those needs.

The guy has logged a total of 5 games in the past 3 years. He does not interest me at all. If this ever came to pass I hope to god I eat crow and .... he tears this league apart. But I think there's better chance of me shaggin' Anna Kournakova this weekend then that happening.

TFCRegina
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Absolutely not. And especially not at DP money

Our number one issue is finishing around the net, and another central denfender a close second. Owen does not address either of those needs.

The guy has logged a total of 5 games in the past 3 years. He does not interest me at all. If this ever came to pass I hope to god I eat crow and .... he tears this league apart. But I think there's better chance of me shaggin' Anna Kournakova this weekend then that happening.

How could she not go for someone with your charms Suds?

J .
06-20-2011, 05:00 PM

People dont go to the NT for several reasons a) 100+ years of futility b) not advertised c) people think of friendlies as meaningless d) 100 years of futility.

In 2 years if TFC still is at or near the bottom of the table, dont expect 17k at TFC games.

Blazer
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM

You can’t automatically assume that a European/International standout is going to fare well in North America. It’s such a different game over here and with the deep dearth of real talent, to bring in a great footballer and throw them in amid the weak, you’d really just be asking us to smell the single pedalled rose amid the rancid cow field. What’s the point?

Some Euros work out, more do not. It's about finding MLS talent - which isn't necessarily world talent.

Suds
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM
How could she not go for someone with your charms Suds?

I ask myself that daily :D

MarkoftheDrink
06-20-2011, 09:25 PM
For the rest of the season at 100k (which would only be 50k) and a club option for next year, why not? We're not going anywhere this season and if he's healthy he might be a steal. All depends on the contract though.

TFCin110
06-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Instead of the wankfest of hate for Hargreaves "turning his back on Canada," the more relevant question is how a player of his quality was able to be such a standout at Calgary Foothills that Bayern Munich were interested in him before th CSA? I realize his coach was the one that referred him to Bayern, however, how would you feel if the CSA pulled the old "jonny come lately" routine. The network for player identification in this country is non-existent and it's not Hargreaves fault that the CSA wanted nothing to do with him as a youth player and then came calling when England and Wales were in the mix. It just reaks of an organization that is inept and has their head in their ass. But then that's the good ol' CSA (insert price is right fail song here).

Anyway, as far as him playing for TFC, I agree with brad in that if MLS allowed a pay as you play type of salary it would worth it. Otherwise, no way. I love him as a player but the injuries are way too much to look past.

TFCin110
06-20-2011, 10:06 PM
For the rest of the season at 100k (which would only be 50k) and a club option for next year, why not? We're not going anywhere this season and if he's healthy he might be a steal. All depends on the contract though.

LOL...I almost put 50k! Maybe, its not a bad idea for the rest of this season. See how he does for the next 4 months in MLS and then decide on what to do.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Instead of the wankfest of hate for Hargreaves "turning his back on Canada," the more relevant question is how a player of his quality was able to be such a standout at Calgary Foothills that Bayern Munich were interested in him before th CSA? I realize his coach was the one that referred him to Bayern, however, how would you feel if the CSA pulled the old "jonny come lately" routine. The network for player identification in this country is non-existent and it's not Hargreaves fault that the CSA wanted nothing to do with him as a youth player and then came calling when England and Wales were in the mix. It just reaks of an organization that is inept and has their head in their ass. But then that's the good ol' CSA (insert price is right fail song here).

Anyway, as far as him playing for TFC, I agree with brad in that if MLS allowed a pay as you play type of salary it would worth it. Otherwise, no way. I love him as a player but the injuries are way too much to look past.

This post is 100% bs.

He was cut from the U-17 team at the age of 15.

He than denied all subsequent call ups.

But classless people continue to defend him. He is a fucking douchebag and a disgrace.

I'm sad that so many soccer fans talk about loyalty but show none.

Its utter bs.

TFCin110
06-20-2011, 10:25 PM
This post is 100% bs.

He was cut from the U-17 team at the age of 15.

He than denied all subsequent call ups.

But classless people continue to defend him. He is a fucking douchebag and a disgrace.

I'm sad that so many soccer fans talk about loyalty but show none.

Its utter bs.

Class, that's your post. If he's a disgrace than he's a disgrace that has been to a World Cup and won European cups, league titles, and many other cups. That is far more than anyone from Canada can list on their resume. If that's a disgrace then sign me up! It must destroy you inside to know that you're tax dollars will pay for his knee replacement in 20 years.....now that's class! lol. Tomorrow will you be back on your Toronto FC hatefest?

Shakes McQueen
06-20-2011, 10:27 PM
He's a traitor to Canadian soccer, but if he made our club team better, I'd suck it up and deal with my feelings.

Not convinced that he'd come here, or that he'd make our team any better, though. Like others have noted - he's played a handful of games in the past few years, and will probably want substantial money.

Canada isn't this guy's "home" in anything more than a technical capacity, so the idea that he'd have a soft spot for coming to play for TFC or Vancouver, is misguided in my estimation. He has been in Europe for most of his life, and had no problem turning his back on our national program.

And how well are his reconstructed, bionic legs going to hold up in a league like MLS? Christ, even Beckham cuts guys down like a lumberjack.

- Scott

TFCin110
06-20-2011, 10:30 PM
He's a traitor to Canadian soccer, but if he made our club team better, I'd suck it up and deal with my feelings.

Not convinced that he'd come here, or that he'd make our team any better, though. Like others have noted - he's played a handful of games in the past few years, and will probably want substantial money.

Canada isn't this guy's "home" in anything more than a technical capacity, so the idea that he'd have a soft spot for coming to play for TFC or Vancouver, is misguided in my estimation. He has been in Europe for most of his life, and had no problem turning his back on our national program.

And how well are his reconstructed, bionic legs going to hold up in a league like MLS? Christ, even Beckham cuts guys down like a lumberjack.

- Scott

Scott, would you take him at 100k? We likely still would not get him for that, but just say that was the number.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 10:35 PM

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Class, that's your post. If he's a disgrace than he's a disgrace that has been to a World Cup and won European cups, league titles, and many other cups. That is far more than anyone from Canada can list on their resume. If that's a disgrace then sign me up! It must destroy you inside to know that you're tax dollars will pay for his knee replacement in 20 years.....now that's class! lol. Tomorrow will you be back on your Toronto FC hatefest?

He is a disgrace to anyone that is proud to be Canadian.

The list of trophies he has won is irrelevant. That doesn't make up for being liar and a traitor.

cmonyoureds
06-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, how Canadian is he? I mean, how are we measuring Canadian? Country of birth? Heritage? Family? Number of years spent living here? Passport?

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, how Canadian is he? I mean, how are we measuring Canadian? Country of birth? Heritage? Family? Number of years spent living here? Passport?

He was born in Canada.

I'm sure he has a nice fake British accent now though.

cmonyoureds
06-20-2011, 10:39 PM
He is a disgrace to anyone that is proud to be Canadian.

The list of trophies he has won is irrelevant. That doesn't make up for being liar and a traitor.

Sorry guys, this one I can't leave alone.

Can you explain what you mean here? Preferably without the f bombs and ridiculous overstatements.

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Sorry guys, this one I can't leave alone.

Can you explain what you mean here? Preferably without the f bombs and ridiculous overstatements.

Before he chose England, he went on national TV (Soccer Central on Sportnet) and gave an interview in which he said he would play for Canada.

But all the Whoregreaves fanboys are so busy sucking his dick that they always have excuses for his traitorous ways. Its disgusting.

TFCin110
06-20-2011, 10:42 PM
He was born in Canada.

My dad was born in England and came here at 4, does that make him a traitor for cheering for Canada in the cricket world cup?

menefreghista
06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
My dad was born in England and came here at 4, does that make him a traitor for cheering for Canada in the cricket world cup?

????

That is totally irrelevant to the discussion. Nice try though.

cmonyoureds
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Thank you for this post. :)

cmonyoureds
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
????

That is totally irrelevant to the discussion. Nice try though.

Oh man, really? :facepalm:

TFCin110
06-20-2011, 10:49 PM

LOL...I know, I know. The argument being Hargreaves was born in Canada and then me saying.....*sigh*.....nevermind. I just realized this is futile. He's all yours friend!

Just realized we sort of highjacked this thread a bit. I am not completely sold Hargreaves is worth the money long term but would object to him being here for the next four months with an option to extend his deal. That is of course unless nothing else becomes available that would require the funds.

Night lads.

Macksam
06-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Not even remotely the same. Whoregreaves never went to England until his late twenties, and that's because of a team he was sold to. Take that bull sh*t somewhere else.

Shakes McQueen
06-20-2011, 10:51 PM

How is this example in any way applicable to the conversation? Your dad immigrated to Canada. I presume he became a Canadian citizen.

Hargreaves, much like Begovic, said he would prefer to play for Canada, and then bolted when a "better" offer came along from Wales (and then bolted again, when a better offer came from England).

He was born in Canada. His parents were Canadian immigrants. He grew up in Calgary. He lied about wanting to play for Canada.

I don't think the guy is a traitor to Canada itself, but he's absolutely a traitor to our soccer team.

If Hargreaves' family had simply emigrated to England when he was a small child, and he grew up there, and decided to play for England, this would be a non-issue.

I have far more respect for the guys who have dedicated themselves to playing for Canada, and using their voices to try and improve our national program. Hargreaves clearly didn't feel the same allegiance.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
06-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Scott, would you take him at 100k? We likely still would not get him for that, but just say that was the number.

I'd give Hargreaves a shot for $100k, but there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that he'd come to Major League Soccer on a $100k contract, even with his injury problems.

- Scott

Macksam
06-20-2011, 10:53 PM

LOL...I know, I know. The argument being Hargreaves was born in Canada and then mye saying.....*sigh*.....nevermind. I just realized this is futile. He's all yours friend! Night lads.

Ah, menefreghista is not in the wrong.

If you were writing an argumentative essay on the GMAT and used that analogy, you would have failed (badly if I may say so) on the paralell reasoning you just tried to make.

Scott sums it up well two posts up.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Ignoring Hargreaves' NT history, why would we want him? Do we need another expensive defensive midfielder? Unless this guy can pot goals, there are better ways to spend precious cap space. Granted, Hargreaves is better at taking PKs than the rest of the English NT, so he might come in handy if Toledo is refereeing.:lol:

CSO_BBTB
06-20-2011, 11:57 PM
What's needed is a number 10 Latin American style attacking midfielder along the lines of Amado Guevara. Hargreaves doesn't fit the void that needs to be filled. Simple as that. It would be another JDG style signing. Big name check, Canadian citizen check, pivotal impact player worth the $100 extra spending per season ticket holder per season once he arrives in MLS oops.

uncle p
06-21-2011, 12:17 AM

This is possibly the most irrelevant post in this whole thread!! You know he wont come for 100k, they know he wont come for 100k, but your still asking.

If your talking about signing a player lets talk about numbers he's currently getting or numbers he's recently played for....

Would you guys sign Messi for 2 million? <----- Se how stupid that sounds

Fort York Redcoat
06-21-2011, 06:57 AM

Support your Local. Don't forget where you're from. It's not that difficult.

TFCin110
06-21-2011, 07:24 AM
This is possibly the most irrelevant post in this whole thread!! You know he wont come for 100k, they know he wont come for 100k, but your still asking.

If your talking about signing a player lets talk about numbers he's currently getting or numbers he's recently played for....

Which, if you read the whole post, is precisely why I said it would not happen at 100k but used that as a generic number to gage how much he was wroth to people here. Sheesh.

Oh, and i'd say the most irrelevant posts are the people not wanting to sign him based on his national team allegiance.....not that's pretty stupid.

Fort York Redcoat
06-21-2011, 07:46 AM

Which, if you read the whole post, is precisely why I said it would not happen at 100k but used that as a generic number to gage how much he was wroth to people here. Sheesh.

Oh, and i'd say the most irrelevant posts are the people not wanting to sign him based on his national team allegiance.....not that's pretty stupid.

That's opinion and you are entitled to it but let's refrain from name calling.

This is getting country vs club and always sparks passionate responses. Let's keep this a respectful discussion.

brad
06-21-2011, 07:48 AM

No. Not for political reasons, but because I think he is done physically. His last appearance at Utd ended in a few minutes when he pulled something chasing a ball.

I don't think he'd last a match.

brad
06-21-2011, 08:05 AM
I actually could see him taking a cut price deal for a season or half of one. He's said he's willing to do a pay as you play deal. I think his goal is to show that he isn't done physically.

zeelaw
06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
How is this thread still up... This crocked piece of shit can go fuck himself...

maninb
06-21-2011, 08:34 AM
He was born in Canada.

I knew him when he was growing up in Calgary, as I played quite a few years with his dad on Calgary Britannia...his old man was a brilliant ex-pro from England...so he still has strong ties to the West even though he hasn't lived there of late....

Suds
06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
No. Not for political reasons, but because I think he is done physically. His last appearance at Utd ended in a few minutes when he pulled something chasing a ball.

I don't think he'd last a match.

Agreed.

I'll add to the others that have posted that he is just not what we need right now.

He's never been a goal scorer or much of a play maker. And we desperately need that. He's always been a hard working midfielder who's game really revolved around high pressure on players with the ball. Sure, we could us that as well but not as much a goal scorer or play maker. Next in line for our needs is another central defender.

If he was crazy enough to come here for $100k for the rest of the year then sure, I'd take a flyer on him. But it's just not going to happen.

craigtfc
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Toronto FC In For Owen Hargreaves?

Former Bayern Munich and Manchester midfielder Owen Hargreaves has been linked with a move to Toronto FC
Cleansheets all around states that Hargreaves is being chased by Toronto FC and MLS new boys the Vancouver Whitecaps to bring him home and end his injury nightmare.

http://www.torontofc.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7509128#ixzz1Q14DucFM

jrober38
06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
First off, the guy can't stay healthy.

Secondly, why would we waste more money on a defensive midfielder when it's so clear our primary problems exist in front of goal.

If we're going to spend any big money, it needs to be on someone who will create 10+ goals/season; not on another defensive minded midfielder.

jabbronies
06-22-2011, 10:10 AM
fuck no!!! why are we signing another injury prone player...Is Alan Gordan not enough??

And does MLS have a "pay as you play" system in place?

menefreghista
06-22-2011, 10:26 AM
fuck no!!! why are we signing another injury prone player...Is Alan Gordan not enough??

And does MLS have a "pay as you play" system in place?

Its not true (for now anyways).

Vital Football is a garbage website. Never believe anything from them.

jabbronies
06-22-2011, 10:31 AM

ya I clicked on the link and they looked suspect.

Fort York Redcoat
06-22-2011, 10:35 AM
^Thank the lords

PopePouri
06-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Exactly, it's not even on MLS Rumours.

Pachuco
06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Thats the point!!! How can we take the next step when our players choose to play elsewhere? Canada needs all its best players on our side of the pitch!!!

Im sorry but id rather lose with Canada than win with Scotland or Italy (my parents)

2 out of our 3 goalkeepers weren't born in this country. Our best defender wasn't born in this country and they chose to play for Canada instead of their place of birth. Pedro Pacheco is more Portuguese then he is Canadian but he chooses to play here.

That's life, you win some you lose some.

I only blame one group of people for losing out on players like Hargreaves and Johnathan De Guzman. And that's the incompetence of the CSA.

I have a hard time seeing how people take this so freeking personal around here.

Fort York Redcoat
06-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Your apathy is noted and confuses us as much as our distaste for this subject does to you.

I'm still glad you keep up with the team, though. If you do.

backbeat
06-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Your apathy is noted and confuses us as much as our distaste for this subject does to you.

i don't see that as apathy in the slightest. it's his opinion, which i happen to agree with. OH's parents and all of his siblings are born in GB - he went to europe at around 16 and ended up choosing England. it may be frustrating but the venom and hate-on is way over the top imo. canada really needs to develop and environment that attacks and the csa has not been doing that.

flambe
06-22-2011, 04:22 PM

Seriously, is thread going to turn into another bitch each other thread ala the de Guzman thread farce?

However, apologies if I misinterpreted your post.

werewolf
06-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Some of the arguments by the player apologists is why I have suggested CSA get transfer fees for these players. If people are going to start acting like national teams are clubs, we should reap the rewards.

Whoop
06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Wait a minute, didn't he consider playing for Germany as well?

And didn't he whine himself off Bayern so he could go to United, once they showed some interest? After being developed by Bayern and being a part of their organization for a decade?

gate7
06-22-2011, 08:26 PM
hmmm i prefer Yourassowski

Heathen
06-22-2011, 10:22 PM
2 out of our 3 goalkeepers weren't born in this country. Our best defender wasn't born in this country and they chose to play for Canada instead of their place of birth. Pedro Pacheco is more Portuguese then he is Canadian but he chooses to play here.

I only blame one group of people for losing out on players like Hargreaves and Johnathan De Guzman. And that's the incompetence of the CSA.

I have a hard time seeing how people take this so freeking personal around here.

and why do you think these guys get anywhere near CMNT? because the likes of Begovic, De Guzman, Hargreaves, Bunbury etc went elsewhere. How can you compare players qualified for Canada, ranked 75th, playing for much higher ranked teams with the likes of Pacheco who wouldn't get anywhere near the Selecção or a Bircham or a Borjan.
I honestly treat each of these cases individually, De Guzman had been in the Netherlands since he was 13, he went to school there, I can understand why he would feel Dutch. Bunbury has spent pretty much all his life outside Canada, regardless of who his dad is I can accept him choosing the US if he feels he's more American than Canadian. Hell I don't even get that upset if they say they want to play for Canada and then go back on it because I came to the realization a long time ago that pretty much all professional athletes are totally untrustworthy.
The one thing about Hargreaves though, and Begovic particularly, is that they took precious dollars from our player development program. This is Canada, its not as if soccer's rolling in money here and to have someone who the CSA has spent thousands on just fuck off at the first opportunity sticks in my craw and should do the same to anyone who considers themselves a CMNT fan.
Yeah we know the CSA is fucked up BUT you know what? the first Hargreaves or Begovic who says I refuse to play for Canada until the CSA is reformed but won't run to another country would be my fucking hero

Macksam
06-22-2011, 10:27 PM

If you play for a country, you should be born there or at the very least, raised in said country. The whore did not fit either bill when choosing England. Like many others have pointed out countless times, nobody would have a problem with his decision if he was actually raised in England. However, for some reason, you always have your head up your ass posting the same drivel asking "Why are people upset about him choosing England?" or something along those lines. What the f*ck is it with you? What don't you understand?

bman27
06-22-2011, 10:41 PM
:deadhorse: man I wish the guy would just retire so that we wouldn't keep having this conversation every time his name comes up in a rumour

PopePouri
06-22-2011, 10:43 PM

That's because most of them are traitors themselves. :drinking:

Jenkins12
06-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I totally understand why Canadians may dislike him for choosing England over them, but lets be real, what prospects are there for him playing for Canada, it's a poor side with no chance of making a World Cup, Playing for England he gets to prove himself against the best in the world Euro's and World Cups. Not to mention his old man was English and would probably want his son to play there given the option, he also had a chance for Wales (as his mother was Welsh) but unfortunately they are also trash on the World level.

Not to mention how big 'soccer' really was in Canada at the time.

He has an English father and he was brought up in Canada and moved to Germany at the age of 16..He made the right choice career wise as he got to a World Cup and earned himself a big money move to Man Utd due to it.

My opinion will not be taken kindly on this board but it's just reality.

Pachuco
06-22-2011, 11:04 PM
If you play for a country, you should be born there or at the very least, raised in said country. The whore did not fit either bill when choosing England. Like many others have pointed out countless times, nobody would have a problem with his decision if he was actually raised in England. However, for some reason, you always have your head up your ass posting the same drivel asking "Why are people upset about him choosing England?" or something along those lines. What the f*ck is it with you? What don't you understand?

Oh yes, and here comes the typical Macksam response. Funny I was going to say that after I said my comment just to save you some time ;)

Stop wasting your finger twitching on me dude, I really don't care too much what you have to say.

SmokedPanda
06-22-2011, 11:05 PM
i just started reading this thread from page 4 until this point and i love it.... i'm gonna start from page 1 for full action, drama and suspense

brad
06-22-2011, 11:20 PM
If you play for a country, you should be born there or at the very least, raised in said country. The whore did not fit either bill when choosing England.

Radzinski was 17 when he moved to Canada, but we cheered for him.

TFC1154ever
06-22-2011, 11:22 PM
[quote=Jenkins12;1325235]I totally understand why Canadians may dislike him for choosing England over them, but lets be real, what prospects are there for him playing for Canada, it's a poor side with no chance of making a World Cup

I don't fucken understand this, I thought playing for your country was about national pride and giving back to a country that gave you everything, not fucken who will have a better chance at the world cup. If that was the case, guess there would only be 8 countries in the world cup. All of these fucken losers can go fuck a hat, they are traitors.

TFCRegina
06-22-2011, 11:23 PM

So we should also blame the incompetence of the Welsh FA who did give him time in their youth squads.

Still fucking betrayed them.

The guy is a douche. Even if he had played for Canada at the youth level, he would have switched. Had nothing to do with being given the chance. Had everything to do with him being a douchebag.

End of story.

Whoop
06-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Again... didn't he consider playing for Germany at one point? And didn't he declare he was going to play for Wales until England came calling?

And didn't he whine himself off Bayern - the club for which play for a decade - when Manchester United blinked at him?

werewolf
06-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Again... didn't he consider playing for Germany at one point? And didn't he declare he was going to play for Wales until England came calling?

And didn't he whine himself off Bayern - the club for which play for a decade - when Manchester United blinked at him?

Fact. That whining was a year after he just signed a contract extension, and publicly committed his future to Bayern etc.

He started on the winning side of a Champions League Final prior to receiving an international cap.

Fort York Redcoat
06-23-2011, 06:58 AM
However, for some reason, you always have your head up your ass posting the same drivel asking "Why are people upset about him choosing England?" or something along those lines. What the f*ck is it with you?

That's opinion and you are entitled to it but let's refrain from name calling.

This is getting country vs club and always sparks passionate responses. Let's keep this a respectful discussion.

Please see above.

As this is not a new debate about the merits of the player's loyalties or lack thereof let's try and leave that out as well as the attacks on one another, please.

I respect a difference in opinion or level of frustration over this subject and would like to refrain from turning that frustration on other fellow posters.

Pachuco
06-23-2011, 08:59 AM
So we should also blame the incompetence of the Welsh FA who did give him time in their youth squads.

Still fucking betrayed them.

The guy is a douche. Even if he had played for Canada at the youth level, he would have switched. Had nothing to do with being given the chance. Had everything to do with him being a douchebag.

End of story.

I'm not Welsh, so not sure why I would blame them for anything.

Anyway, he was within is rights to choose England over Canada. It is that same right that has given our national team players that by your standard should've never played for Canada.

Oh, and this post right here is hypocrisy at it's best

Teal Bunbury, greatest fake American never to make the US Gold Cup team or greatest traitor Canadian never to make the US Gold Cup team?

I'm sorry, but Bunbury is as Canadian as Owen Hargreaves is English. Give me a break. You obviously don't think rationaly on this subject.

TFCin110
06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
A lot of these posters remind me of ex-girls that I broke up with. They'd keep calling and chewing me out for breaking their heart. Let it go man, let it go.

Jenkins12
06-23-2011, 10:59 AM
[quote=Jenkins12;1325235]I totally understand why Canadians may dislike him for choosing England over them, but lets be real, what prospects are there for him playing for Canada, it's a poor side with no chance of making a World Cup

I don't fucken understand this, I thought playing for your country was about national pride and giving back to a country that gave you everything, not fucken who will have a better chance at the world cup. If that was the case, guess there would only be 8 countries in the world cup. All of these fucken losers can go fuck a hat, they are traitors.

Both his parents were British mate, he probably considered himself more British than Canadian, and like I said theres multiple reasons why he'd choose England over Canada, one being that his old man was English and the game being alot bigger over there.

He was a good player, great at one point but now hes worthless with injuries

Whoop
06-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Anyway, he was within is rights to choose England over Canada. It is that same right that has given our national team players that by your standard should've never played for Canada.

I'm sorry, but Bunbury is as Canadian as Owen Hargreaves is English. Give me a break. You obviously don't think rationaly on this subject.

The players that Canada have got from other countries or through other means never strung their FA's around like the guys we complain about.

I could understand being called a hypocrite if Pacheco had strung the FPF along by saying that he was considering playing for Portugal but then choosing Canada.

Or if Borjan did the same with Serbian FA. Or Marc Bircham with the FA or de Jong with the KNVB.

Fact is none of these guys did.

But guys like Bunbury and Begovic... who have played for Canada in the past... we'll they are turncoats.

And fact is that Hargreaves was committed to Wales and then bolted to England. And he only committed to Wales because his feelings were hurt for being cut as a 15 year old for Canada's U17 team.

KezmanCCCC
06-23-2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2007515/Toronto-FC-offer-free-agent-Owen-Hargreaves-new-start-release-Manchester-United.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

swan
06-23-2011, 05:22 PM
i don't care what or who's country he played and how he went about it the bottom line is the guy is made of glass it is a certainty he will get hurt and for long periods/season and that is a waste...

better off signing a ball boy/girl..

yeah i know late to this thread but my 2 cents..

tfcleeds
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Agreed - never mind the fact that he is a traitorous whore, we just don't need someone who is likely to spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch. Hope he stays far, far away from this club.

bman27
06-23-2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2007515/Toronto-FC-offer-free-agent-Owen-Hargreaves-new-start-release-Manchester-United.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Did anyone read the article here?
apparently we are offering a contract :rolleyes:
:lurk5:
I'm getting ready for the shitstorm thats going to happen if it does go down

Wingback6

I thought this whole thread was intended to be a joke, though a bad one. I wasn't laughing then. And after reading this article, I'm certainly not laughing now. Glass belongs in window-frames, and in kitchen cupboards, not on football pitches.

DichioTFC
I have no problem with us signing a DP defensive midfielder.

it's worked for us so far.

http://the11.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/jdg-150x150.jpg

J .
06-23-2011, 05:40 PM

I had visions of me yelling ' you fucking cunt ' for 90 minutes.

I really really really hope TFC doesnt do this to me, I may cry. First they suck for 5 years, then they sign a guy who I would hit with my car.

:picard: > :scarf: these days

ArmenJBX
06-23-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm not of the Owen Hargreaves hate generation...and besides switching Canada for England, I'm not really sure why he's so hated. Teal Bunbury isn't taking this much flack and he did the exact same.

What's wrong with Hargreaves?

Azerban
06-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Teal Bunbury isn't taking this much flack and he did the exact same.

hahaha

DichioTFC
06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
^ In Teal's defense, he moved from Hamilton to Minnesota at the age of 3. He hasn't lived in Canada for the past 20 years.

swan
06-23-2011, 05:56 PM

kill me now..

it has to be bull... i hope..

Suds
06-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I think the Daily Mail is fucking with us :D

Whoop
06-23-2011, 06:34 PM
^ In Teal's defense, he moved from Hamilton to Minnesota at the age of 3. He hasn't lived in Canada for the past 20 years.

What defense?

He played for Canada in the past.

TFCRegina
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM

Really? He's born in Canada, and he played for Canada at the youth level. You see that. PLAYED FOR CANADA. Occupied a precious spot and precious resources.

But yes, let's blame the CSA. Great call Pachuco.

Genius.

These players don't play for Canada because they're douchebags, not because they're not wanted.

DichioTFC
06-23-2011, 06:46 PM
What defense?

He played for Canada in the past.

Pointing out the facts. He hadn't lived in Canada for years, he's playing for his new home country. It's the same argument that CMNT supporters have against "immigrant" players.

tfcleeds
06-23-2011, 06:48 PM
^Then why bother playing for Canada at the youth level and waste everybody's time and resources?

Whoop
06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
That's too logical.

TFCRegina
06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Of course, we can only blame the CSA for him being a traitor. Because he can't be held to his actions. Personal responsibility is not on Teal Bunbury, not one bit.

nfitz
06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Wonderful news! The Front Office have found the DP that would incite the most passionate response ever from the supporters!

I hope no one there is taking the article seriously. It's in the Daily Mail ffs. Generally the writings on a bathroom wall are more reliable than the Daily Mail.

Tim
06-23-2011, 07:51 PM

this clearly has no merit... at least thats what I (along with many others) am hoping. He was good in his time, but with all his injuries over the last several years... NO THANK YOU

Keyman
06-23-2011, 08:12 PM
If we sign Owen Hargreaves I'm going to die of laughter. The board will explode.

Kooper
06-23-2011, 08:21 PM
This is just lazy journalism. The reporters have little to do during the summer so they are putting together the facts that Hargraves is/was Canadian, he is out of contract and TFC and Vancover are looking for players as of July 1st.

There are no "unidentified sources" or "Team insiders" quoted and there is no risk to them. If they are wrong oh well, tomorrow we will be talking about who ever Chelsea or City bought for way too much money.

Stryker
06-23-2011, 09:15 PM
From a TFC standpoint I couldn't care less about his national choices. But to sign this china doll in MLS would be the ultimate in stupidity and I can't help but see myself giving up on TFC for the forseeable future.

Suds
06-23-2011, 09:15 PM
If we sign Owen Hargreaves I'm going to die of laughter. The board will explode.

I hope I get a heads up on any announcement so I can hit the liquor store before hand.

It will be gooood times! :drinking: :D

TFCREDNWHITE
06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Fack me....no thanks mr. glass legs

jloome
06-24-2011, 01:27 AM

Suggests we've "offered a new start" but has no detail. Presumably, that would have to include new knees.

TFCRegina
06-24-2011, 01:28 AM

Suggests we've "offered a new start" but has no detail. Presumably, that would have to include new knees.

Maybe we offered him a chance to start anew as a janitor.

jloome
06-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Outside of my distaste for his betraying his birth nation for purely financial reasons (he was as british as a pint of moosehead before man utd), he's a walking injury. Nutty idea.

As for Bunbury, he initially stated for a couple of years he hoped to play for Canada, and even though he was living in the U.S. as a kid, his dad talked about ensuring his son knew he was Canadian. My parents raised me in england for my formative years, but they did the same, and I always considered myself Canadian.

(Have never particularly felt "canadian" and will probably retire in Benidorm or something, but that's another matter.)

THe question always comes down to this: do you accept that playing for a national team is now just a corporate extension of a player's overall career or do you claim that playing for your nation is a matter of pride in its ideals and national identity (such as it may be.)

The rest is just invective. I learn towards the latter; what's the fucking point in even having international competition if the core identifying nature of each team is declared so flexible as to be moot every time some dude wants to negotiate a better route through the pros?

Fuck 'em. If you pledge to a country after, say, age 17, I figure that's who you have to play for. And it should be a nationality you've held your whole life, even if you weren't born there (lots of Canadians, for example, are born overseas to Canadian parents and can hold dual citizenships).

Make it about representing your country.

The other 'x' factor in all this is that the CSA is just shit. Shit. Absolute shit. Big steaming, heaping piles of donkey shit. Everyone one of them should, as PJ O'Rourke famously said of Ferdinand Marcos, be dragged through the streets of Manila with their ears nailed to a truck bumper. Fifa execs, too.

Let's face it, between the institutional corruption at the national organization level and the recent match fixing scandals in Germany and Asia, football looks pretty fucking corrupt. Might be about time to give the international game an image makeover by tightening up nationality rules a bit.

JamboAl
06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I hate to say this but the casual TFC fan would think..."all right, a Canadian boy"; while those of us with long memories would rather wave a Honduran flag than to see him in TFC red.

PopePouri
06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
To be fair, it was 10 years ago. I've moved on and maybe his viewpoint on the situation has changed over time. If he stays injury free, he'd be a great addition.

ryan
06-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I hate to say this but the casual TFC fan would think..."all right, a Canadian boy"; while those of us with long memories would rather wave a Honduran flag than to see him in TFC red.

Wave a flag? I'd rather support them for the rest of my days than see this come to be.

Even outside of my Canadian feelings, I don't even think it's a good move strictly considering his role and health.

The whole situation is a tornado of fuck if you ask me.

Carts
06-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Wave a flag? I'd rather support them for the rest of my days than see this come to be.

Even outside of my Canadian feelings, I don't even think it's a good move strictly considering his role and health.

The whole situation is a tornado of fuck if you ask me.

That is an epic line!

And in regards to this situation, one I agree with!

Chevy
06-24-2011, 11:08 AM
To be fair, it was 10 years ago. I've moved on and maybe his viewpoint on the situation has changed over time. If he stays injury free, he'd be a great addition.

I tend to agree here. Throw him $25k for every game he plays and give him a run.

He's only 30 (feels like he should be 40) so maybe there is something left.

TFCin110
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
I tend to agree here. Throw him $25k for every game he plays and give him a run.

He's only 30 (feels like he should be 40) so maybe there is something left.

Agreed. The argument not to sign him because of his national team is rediculous. Pay as you play or sign him to short term 6 month to 1 year contract amd see if he has anything left in those knees.

That said, someone in England or another good league will offer him pay as you play because we can't do it and he'll go there.

menefreghista
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Pay as you play doesn't exist in MLS.

If he wasn't a total douchebag, and we wanted to sign him, I still wouldn't sign him for more than $100,000, based on his injury history. He probably wouldn't even bother coming here for that kind of money.

Technorgasm
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
draft dodging fop with a knee taped together with popsicle sticks.

the ultimate shaming: "TFC can do better"

Oldtimer
06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Knowing Hargreaves, he would agree to come over to play for TFC, then go and sign with the Krew.

tfcleeds
06-24-2011, 11:45 AM

This board would be in full meltdown mode, unlike anything ever seen before. The Dero thread(s) would seem like child's play in comparison. Such a polarizing figure is our Whoregreaves.

Technorgasm
06-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Lets bring him in!!!. . . . .

. . . . then loan him out to the Rochester Rhinos ! lol

Oldtimer
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
This board would be in full meltdown mode, unlike anything ever seen before. The Dero thread(s) would seem like child's play in comparison. Such a polarizing figure is our Whoregreaves.

Yep.

The volume of venom that would pour out would be incredible to see.

I would hope TFC wouldn't be that stupid as to sign him?

Surely they would be smarter than that?

** crickets **

Villa TFC
06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
You can take a chance on an injury-risk like Hargreaves when you're in a financial position to do so, but not when you're in a league with a salary cap. It would be madness to even consider his acquisition for that reason alone - and that's without even entering into the issue of the reception he would get from any knowledgable Canadian supporter anywhere in this country.

Pachuco
06-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Outside of my distaste for his betraying his birth nation for purely financial reasons (he was as british as a pint of moosehead before man utd), he's a walking injury. Nutty idea.

As for Bunbury, he initially stated for a couple of years he hoped to play for Canada, and even though he was living in the U.S. as a kid, his dad talked about ensuring his son knew he was Canadian. My parents raised me in england for my formative years, but they did the same, and I always considered myself Canadian.

(Have never particularly felt "canadian" and will probably retire in Benidorm or something, but that's another matter.)

THe question always comes down to this: do you accept that playing for a national team is now just a corporate extension of a player's overall career or do you claim that playing for your nation is a matter of pride in its ideals and national identity (such as it may be.)

The rest is just invective. I learn towards the latter; what's the fucking point in even having international competition if the core identifying nature of each team is declared so flexible as to be moot every time some dude wants to negotiate a better route through the pros?

Fuck 'em. If you pledge to a country after, say, age 17, I figure that's who you have to play for. And it should be a nationality you've held your whole life, even if you weren't born there (lots of Canadians, for example, are born overseas to Canadian parents and can hold dual citizenships).

Make it about representing your country.

The other 'x' factor in all this is that the CSA is just shit. Shit. Absolute shit. Big steaming, heaping piles of donkey shit. Everyone one of them should, as PJ O'Rourke famously said of Ferdinand Marcos, be dragged through the streets of Manila with their ears nailed to a truck bumper. Fifa execs, too.

Let's face it, between the institutional corruption at the national organization level and the recent match fixing scandals in Germany and Asia, football looks pretty fucking corrupt. Might be about time to give the international game an image makeover by tightening up nationality rules a bit.

Here's the thing, I don't disagree with anything you say at all. I wish playing for your country was about national pride, but unfortunately, because of the lack of rules to protect against this, national teams all over the place are polluted with players who were "scouted" to play for said country.

So if the rules changed, I would be all for it. But so long as everyone is playing by the same rules, I can't possibly have a problem with players leaving Canada to play for another country while we have players on our national team that shouldn't be playing for Canada under the same mentality.

prizby
06-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Agreed. The argument not to sign him because of his national team is rediculous.

maybe on skill wise level, but lets be brutally honest here, on a more psychological level with the amount of resentment there is going to be issues...he won't be mentally tough enough to last and it will effect his game on the pitch

compare to Villa signing Mcleish

AjayNI
06-24-2011, 01:26 PM
English newspapers in the past week are circulating more and more rumours that TFC have offered Owen Hargreaves a contract, this is just one of them from yesterday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2007515/Toronto-FC-offer-free-agent-Owen-Hargreaves-new-start-release-Manchester-United.html

Ossington Mental Youth
06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
not likely.
dunno why we'd take on a guy whos played very little because of injury in a position we already have covered several times over

AjayNI
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Because he is one of the best holding midfield players in the world when he is fit, obviously that has not been very often since he left Bayern Munich, but things could change if he sign for another club..

Suds
06-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Yep.

The volume of venom that would pour out would be incredible to see.

I would hope TFC wouldn't be that stupid as to sign him?

Surely they would be smarter than that?

** crickets **

fans are fickle ... people against it would be pissed and raging on the boards and boo him like crazy ... but then if he played very well, (and by some stroke of divine intervention scored a goal), many many people would give up on the hating of him as long as he helped the team. Some would still hold their resentment.

For me, it's just not the type of player I think we desperately need right now. If he was another warm body for cheap money I could care less. But I just don't see a guy like him signing for anything that does not have some guarantees of decent money. I would rather that money go somewhere else.

Roogsy
06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Oh gawd please please end these Hargreaves rumours. If there is anything that will put a nail in the coffin of this team is a player that a great number of fans hate coming over and signing for big bucks on a team that has precious little room and then leaves a big steaming pile of turd in our hands when he finally gets injured again and is out for months at a time.

If anyone at TFC signs a contract with this turdburgler, I think it will conclusively point to incompetence at the managerial level of this squad. While I have been negative on the team, I certainly don't want them to actually help me prove my case!

I certainly hope this is a baseless rumour but I am so scared of this club that I fear any possibility of it's truth.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Because he is one of the best holding midfield players in the world when he is fit, obviously that has not been very often since he left Bayern Munich, but things could change if he sign for another club..

id be shocked if signing to an MLS team made him a heathier player, dude had troubles at bayern which only got worse when he went to Man U

TFCwestcan
06-24-2011, 01:56 PM

Correction, he would tear his knee apart.

Heathen
06-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Here's the thing, I don't disagree with anything you say at all. I wish playing for your country was about national pride, but unfortunately, because of the lack of rules to protect against this, national teams all over the place are polluted with players who were "scouted" to play for said country.

So if the rules changed, I would be all for it. But so long as everyone is playing by the same rules, I can't possibly have a problem with players leaving Canada to play for another country while we have players on our national team that shouldn't be playing for Canada under the same mentality.

Which current CMNT players shouldn't be playing for Canada? Historically the one I would seriously question is Bircham who qualified through a grandfather and had never stepped foot in the country.

ManUtd4ever
06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
If Hargreaves was fit to play, I would welcome his addition to the club, regardless of his history with the CMNT. The sole issue in my mind is his durability (or lack thereof). Given the nature of his previous injuries and the rambuctious style of play in MLS, he would be one hard tackle away from yet another career ending injury.

69Chevy396
06-24-2011, 02:17 PM
If the team signs another holding midfielder to a dp contract they are frankly more fucked up now then when Mo was in charge, and that is fucked up. "Best holding midfielder" in the world? Really? He was overrated whereever he played, and gets injured all the time cause he is a skinny, weakling, just look at his legs, my grandfather has bigger muscles.

ilikemusic
06-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Firstly, he would be a horrible fit for this team. Just like JDG, he is not what we need in a DP.

Secondly, he is a traitorous cunt.

TFC USA
06-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Hargreaves would exhaust Canada's medical system.

Let's sign Michael Owen, too!

bangersandmash
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
He has had standout moments in his career and can bring a good game to the table. However, as has been pointed out many times, he's made of glass and wouldn't last a half in a league as physical as the MLS.

As for the other half of the argument... time to get over it. Canada was never going to the world cup, even if he had been playing. The impact of his decision was a great big zero.

raj100
06-24-2011, 03:09 PM
maybe hargreaves is the last piece of the puzzle? a midfield of him tchani AND de guzman, may be the answer to our woes... believe it or not but anyone who has seen hargreaves play, knows he is a brilliant passer of the ball... which is exactly what we need... personally with him and JDG together, it could be a very good axis to build our attack on... and with 3 predominantly defensive midfielders playing in the centre of the park, it would allow the forwards to focus completely on scoring and creating chances

his injuries seem to be a worry, but the slower tempo of the mls, along with the fact that i bet our regular training isnt is hard as utd's ... his injuries may occur less...

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
^That's some serious optimism right there. Some might say delusional optimism. You are correct, technically speaking, although I only say that because of the word "maybe".

menefreghista
06-24-2011, 03:18 PM
but anyone who has seen hargreaves play,

Has anyone seen this guy play in the last THREE European season?

Villa TFC
06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
maybe hargreaves is the last piece of the puzzle? a midfield of him tchani AND de guzman, may be the answer to our woes... believe it or not but anyone who has seen hargreaves play, knows he is a brilliant passer of the ball... which is exactly what we need... personally with him and JDG together, it could be a very good axis to build our attack on... and with 3 predominantly defensive midfielders playing in the centre of the park, it would allow the forwards to focus completely on scoring and creating chances

his injuries seem to be a worry, but the slower tempo of the mls, along with the fact that i bet our regular training isnt is hard as utd's ... his injuries may occur less...

Remember that photo of the two road cones at BMO during the winter a couple of seasons ago? I'd rather those two in midfield than Hargreaves and JDG.

menefreghista
06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Canada was never going to the world cup, even if he had been playing. The impact of his decision was a great big zero.

How can you say that with such authority?

If all the traitor douchebags actually played for Canada we would be a lot better. Possibly the 3rd best in the region.

Too many people with the gloryhunter mentality give these bastards a pass.

bangersandmash
06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
How can you say that with such authority?

Because he's one player. Like TFC, the Men's national program has always had many, many holes in its roster (1986 aside). It is a team sport and one player — especially one who is not among the best players in the world in his position — does not change that.

If all the traitor douchebags actually played for Canada we would be a lot better. Possibly the 3rd best in the region.

If all the traitorous douchbags played for Canada under the current system we'd still be just as bad. Why should we encourage our best and brightest to stay in Canada and fail rather than go our into the world and succeed. I enjoyed watching Hargreaves play in an England shirt. He put on a great show before getting injured. He made a case that good talent could come out of Canada. If he'd stayed in Canada he would have been on a team that contending countries sent their substitutes bench to warm up against.

Better that everyone leaves and the CSA collapses. And being 3rd best in the 2nd worst region of FIFA still leaves you out in the cold. Canada's national program needs radical change. Hargreaves called it and did the right thing. This country won't get better till it starts from scratch.

menefreghista
06-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Because he's one player. Like TFC, the Men's national program has always had many, many holes in its roster (1986 aside). It is a team sport and one player — especially one who is not among the best players in the world in his position — does not change that.

If all the traitorous douchbags played for Canada under the current system we'd still be just as bad. Why should we encourage our best and brightest to stay in Canada and fail rather than go our into the world and succeed. I enjoyed watching Hargreaves play in an England shirt. He put on a great show before getting injured. He made a case that good talent could come out of Canada. If he'd stayed in Canada he would have been on a team that contending countries sent their substitutes bench to warm up against.

Better that everyone leaves and the CSA collapses. And being 3rd best in the 2nd worst region of FIFA still leaves you out in the cold. Canada's national program needs radical change. Hargreaves called it and did the right thing. This country won't get better till it starts from scratch.

With a mentality like this why even bother having national team soccer? Should every player in the World only aim to play for the Brazil, Spain, Italy type teams?

May as well have the club game only.

bangersandmash
06-24-2011, 03:46 PM
With a mentality like this why even bother having national team soccer? Should every player in the World only aim to play for the Brazil, Spain, Italy type teams?

It is a problem that every organization has to deal with… if you want your top talent to stay you have to create the conditions for them to be successful. The CSA does not do this. It is my understanding thy they do not try to do this. An exodus of talent seems to be a precondition for change, so I say bring it on. That doesn't mean that I don't believe and national-level football.

TFCRegina
06-24-2011, 03:47 PM

There's no requirement to be residing in Canada to play for your national team.

Nobody here said he shouldn't have played for Bayern Munich or Manchester United.

Unless you're seriously comparing international football to club football.

In which case, there's no point in having international football if we're going to treat the national teams like they're clubs, with players going to where they're going to have the best shot at making sponsorship dollars.

Azerban
06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
It is a problem that every organization has to deal with… if you want your top talent to stay you have to create the conditions for them to be successful. The CSA does not do this. It is my understanding thy they do not try to do this. An exodus of talent seems to be a precondition for change, so I say bring it on. That doesn't mean that I don't believe and national-level football.

cool now that he left CSA is completely different and brand new

thanks owen hargreaves, for being the catalyst of change in canadian soccer, by leaving it completely and forever

menefreghista
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM

I don't understand what your endgame is? Under your suggestion its just a vicious circle where Canada continues to get worse and worse and more of these douchebags like Whoregreaves leave Canada. How will that improve things? It will just suck even worse.

I'd rather Canada's best talent plays for Canada and we do well in spite of the CSA. You make it sound like these traitors are martyrs for what they are doing. Which isn't the case at all.

Azerban
06-24-2011, 03:53 PM
You make it sound like these traitors are martyrs for what they are doing. Which isn't the case at all.

don't you see? owen did it all for us. to help canadian soccer. what a selfless guy.

i, for one, am glad someone is stepping up to improve the state of the sport in this country; thanks owen.

menefreghista
06-24-2011, 03:56 PM
don't you see? owen did it all for us. to help canadian soccer. what a selfless guy.

i, for one, am glad someone is stepping up to improve the state of the sport in this country; thanks owen.

They should build a statue for him outside BMO Field.

We can also put him on the Wall of Honour to celebrate the 11 minutes he will play for us during his entire TFC contract.

------

In all seriousness, the guy has played 5 games in 3 seasons. I wonder why some can't wrap their brains around those figures. What has changed in the past few months that show he is ready to play? The guy is made of glass. TFC can't afford that kind of risk, particularly at his position and at the money he would want.

bangersandmash
06-24-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't understand what your endgame is? Under your suggestion its just a vicious circle where Canada continues to get worse and worse and more of these douchebags like Whoregreaves leave Canada. How will that improve things? It will just suck even worse.

I'd rather Canada's best talent plays for Canada and we do well in spite of the CSA. You make it sound like these traitors are martyrs for what they are doing. Which isn't the case at all.

There is a grey area between traitor
And martyr. Canada is slowly undergoing a coming of age as a footballing country. The old strictures need to fall away and new ones need to take their place. Hargreaves had three main choices - play for Canada, play somewhere else or dont play at all. Has he chosen the third he would have been forgotten and lived a peaceful life. All that I am saying is that there are footballers who have a talent that transends our current level of play. There are not many of them but they may, on occasion, need to leave. These should be moments of reflection and growth for the national program, not opportunities to sharpen knives. The idea is to change sothat this stops happening, not to blacklist those who grew outside of our small-time system. And that, of course is just my opinion.

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2011, 04:47 PM

The CSA is changing. Never as fast as people want but they are. They had to because of the attention on the sport in this country.

And it's not like him having nothing to do with the CSA anymore and staying silent is providing us with as much as say Canada players that actually come out and refuse to play because of the state of things.

Could someone more compu-savvy put Owen's face in an Obama poster for change and we can send it to the CSA?

bangersandmash
06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
I realize my perspective isn't popular. I knew that before my first post. But the hargreaves that played for Bayern Munich was far and away better than anything else that our country had to offer. Look at the state of MLS DP's to se what effect that has. Sometimes a great performer stepping aside is the best thing that happen to an organization. That doesn't mean there aren't hurt feelings or self intetrest involved. I just think that him not being there was a "good" for Canadian soccer. I'll show myself the door.

TFCin110
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Amen to that brother.

TFCin110
06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Teamns don't need a holding midfielder in MLS. The quality is so poor that the opposition first touch is the best holding midfielder in the league.

bgnewf
06-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Oh gawd please please end these Hargreaves rumours. If there is anything that will put a nail in the coffin of this team is a player that a great number of fans hate coming over and signing for big bucks on a team that has precious little room and then leaves a big steaming pile of turd in our hands when he finally gets injured again and is out for months at a time.

If anyone at TFC signs a contract with this turdburgler, I think it will conclusively point to incompetence at the managerial level of this squad. While I have been negative on the team, I certainly don't want them to actually help me prove my case!

I certainly hope this is a baseless rumour but I am so scared of this club that I fear any possibility of it's truth.

Well said Chris!

Post of the month.

And for the record the Daily Mail makes MLS Rumors look like a bastion of journalistic integrity

Heathen
06-24-2011, 07:34 PM

There are plenty of national associations around the world worse than the CSA but their players don't run off to other countries, hell just look at all the shit going on at FIFA.
Players going elsewhere isn't going to reform the CSA, a higher profile for soccer in Canada will. There's no higher profile than qualifying for a World Cup.

ExiledRed
06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
If he hadnt played for england and done so well in that world cup, he wouldnt have been signed by United for what? UKP 35 million....hahahahahahahahaha

Cut the guy some slack, anyone who can fuck over United and make millions sitting on his ass at the same time....should.......hahahaha

TFCin110
06-24-2011, 09:23 PM
If he hadnt played for england and done so well in that world cup, he wouldnt have been signed by United for what? UKP 35 million....hahahahahahahahaha

Cut the guy some slack, anyone who can fuck over United and make millions sitting on his ass at the same time....should.......hahahaha

And still has more league winners medals than Stevie G. lol. Seriously though.....he does.

brad
06-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I still don't want him based purely on his injury history - I think he would break down, but here are some of my thoughts.

-I really, really, really hope that no one at TFC takes what supporters think into consideration on any signing, including this one. Signings should be 100% based on impact on the pitch. If the FO is still looking towards what the fans think of a player we are screwed.
-I wouldn't be surprised in least to see him sign for the rest of the season as a non-DP (even at the league minimum). He'll still want to play top flight football, and he is bloody loaded and doesn't need the money. I could see be willing to playing half a season in the MLS for cheap to show clubs overseas that he can still play. Plus, he hasn't played in a long time, so this would be good to get his match fitness up.
-Holding mid is his prefered position, but he is versatile. He is very good going forward. He's also played wide a fair amount and is a very good crosser of the ball.
-He's a dead ball specialist. He is an excellent direct free kick taker (which we lack) and delivers an excellent corner.

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Yeah, if this comes true, any faith I have left in management will be pretty much obliterated - unless it's a really, really favourable contract for us, and coincides with JDG being transferred somewhere else.

All of the national team chicanery aside, I can't imagine his knees will hold up in MLS at all. And then what?

He will want top dollar to essentially give up on a return to Europe and play in MLS, and he isn't worth top dollar to us. We have bigger needs.

- Scott

DichioTFC
06-25-2011, 07:38 AM
The CSA is changing. Never as fast as people want but they are. They had to because of the attention on the sport in this country.

And it's not like him having nothing to do with the CSA anymore and staying silent is providing us with as much as say Canada players that actually come out and refuse to play because of the state of things.

Could someone more compu-savvy put Owen's face in an Obama poster for change and we can send it to the CSA?

http://i54.tinypic.com/fz81g.png

brad
06-25-2011, 08:27 AM
He will want top dollar to essentially give up on a return to Europe and play in MLS, and he isn't worth top dollar to us. We have bigger needs.

- Scott

Or - he might be willing to play in the cheap for the rest of the season to prove he's not done with a goal to move back to Europe in the January window.

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Or - he might be willing to play in the cheap for the rest of the season to prove he's not done with a goal to move back to Europe in the January window.

There would be plenty of lower level European sides probably willing to take a chance on Hargreaves.

He doesn't need to come to MLS on the cheap. And if he's paid attention to MLS at all, he would know that MLS isn't exactly the best stage for a central midfielder to show off their talents, because the players around you aren't smart enough. And with the way MLS players scythe eachother down, he could just as easily end his football career here rather quickly.

It just doesn't make much sense. Not for him, and not for us. We need a goal scorer, and a defender or two. We don't need an injury-prone central midfielder with reconstructed knees, who probably only wants to be here for a few months, and who I maintain will probably want substantial money.

If he comes here for $150k, fine, take a chance on him. But he won't come here for $150k. At best he will probably want a little less than DP money. It's a poor use of what cap room we have, for a guy who has played about six minutes of professional football in the past three years.

It wouldn't even do anything to cynically attempt to mollify the TFC fanbase, because most TFC fans who know enough about football to be familiar with Hargreaves, are just as likely to have strongly negative feelings about him. At least JDG was held in the highest regard by most Canadian soccer fans.

- Scott

Yohan
06-25-2011, 08:42 AM
seriously how much are the odds of this happening? IMO not very much.

Kooper
06-25-2011, 08:57 AM

I feel the same way about Roy Hodgson and Rafael Benitez.

torontocelt
06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
You know he is in a very bad way when Man U offer Michael Owen a new contract but not Owen Hargreaves. Both of these guys are incredibly injury prone, MO has missed a ton of games for years and years but even he is not considered as big a risk as OH. Hargreaves may very well retire rather than move clubs, he has had a fantastic career, he has enough money saved I would presume and I certainly feel he does not need to continue. He also has to take into account his own well being, his knees are obviously in a very bad way, does he really want to risk the ability to walk in later life by continuing to play. Celtic had a young promising defender a few years ago called John Kennedy who had a very bad injury. Like OH he tried to come back on many occasions but would always break down after a string of three games or so. After many operations he made the decision to retire at 26 or something. It does happen and I really think OH would be very wise to call time on his career, at 30 and in his condition it would be a very wise move for him.

As for Hargreaves being a traitor, well if I had a son as talented as he was, born and raised in Canada and he came to me and asked for advice on who to play for between Canada and Scotland I would tell him it would be his choice and to do what he feels is right. If he asked me who I would prefer I would have to say Scotland, that would be my preference although perhaps not his or others. Scotland have lost some good players recently due to situations similar to OH, Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy are two born and and bred Scots who chose to play for Ireland I dislike both of them for it. Am I a hypocrite when comparing their situation with my own hypothetical situation, I guess I am. Scotland has had more than their own fair share of players over the years not born in Scotland so I am not going to cry too much about McGeady and McCarthey although we could certainly use them now.

Kooper
06-25-2011, 09:35 AM
As for Hargreaves being a traitor, well if I had a son as talented as he was, born and raised in Canada and he came to me and asked for advice on who to play for between Canada and Scotland I would tell him it would be his choice and to do what he feels is right. If he asked me who I would prefer I would have to say Scotland, that would be my preference although perhaps not his or others. Scotland have lost some good players recently due to situations similar to OH, Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy are two born and and bred Scots who chose to play for Ireland I dislike both of them for it. Am I a hypocrite when comparing their situation with my own hypothetical situation, I guess I am. Scotland has had more than their own fair share of players over the years not born in Scotland so I am not going to cry too much about McGeady and McCarthey although we could certainly use them now.

I am sure I am going to stoke the fire by agreedin with you but here it goes.

If all the people that hate him to their core were hockey players born in England or France but had canadian parents, came over to play in the OHL, got drafted to the NHL and had the opportunity to play for Canada at the Olympics would we criticise them for turning their back on Canada? No we would cheer them when they scored goals and put them up a heros.

Before you say that has never happened. Dany Heatly was born in Germany to Canadian and German parents. Robyn Regehr who played in the 2006 Olympics for us was born in Brazil to Canadian parents.

Be upset but have some perspective it happens.

werewolf
06-25-2011, 09:50 AM
^ how many players on the Canadian Olympic team never lived in Canada before representing us?

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2011, 09:53 AM
If all the people that hate him to their core were hockey players born in England or France but had canadian parents, came over to play in the OHL, got drafted to the NHL and had the opportunity to play for Canada at the Olympics would we criticise them for turning their back on Canada? No we would cheer them when they scored goals and put them up a heros.

I don't like these examples, because 1) they ignore the specific context of the Hargreaves saga, and b) why would we criticize them? - we are on the receiving end of their talents.

If an English hockey player somehow managed to do the exact same things Hargreaves did, and ended up with the Canadian national team, would I be upset? I probably wouldn't care, because I'm not English. But I could certainly understand if proponents of the English national team were incensed about it.

Your example of Robyn Regehr was also a bit weak. Regehr was born in Brazil because his Canadian parents were Mennonite missionaries. He lived there for three years, then Indonesia for a few years, then lived in Canada from age seven onwards.

- Scott

ExiledRed
06-25-2011, 10:16 AM
stupid twat could have picked Germany....hahahaha

Nomad
06-25-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't like these examples, because 1) they ignore the specific context of the Hargreaves saga, and b) why would we criticize them? - we are on the receiving end of their talents.

If an English hockey player somehow managed to do the exact same things Hargreaves did, and ended up with the Canadian national team, would I be upset? I probably wouldn't care, because I'm not English. But I could certainly understand if proponents of the English national team were incensed about it.

You can't absolve yourself with that statement. In fact it makes you a complete hypocrite. You'll applaud when it benefits you but jeer when the exact thing is done against you. How about standing by your convictions.

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2011, 11:59 AM
You can't absolve yourself with that statement. In fact it makes you a complete hypocrite. You'll applaud when it benefits you but jeer when the exact thing is done against you. How about standing by your convictions.

It doesn't mean I applaud it. More likely, it would mean I was unaware of it.

How many people in England do you suspect were aware of the Hargreaves saga in Canada, when he decided to cap himself with England? None, because they were on the receiving end of his talents. They wouldn't care, or be bothered to look into it.

- Scott

Kooper
06-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Agreed. Sure there are differences between the cases I put out and OH but as the comments show we applaud it when we are on the winning side and villify him when we are on the losing side.

Heathen
06-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Agreed. Sure there are differences between the cases I put out and OH but as the comments show we applaud it when we are on the winning side and villify him when we are on the losing side.

Er no I don't, you join this thread on pg 7 and think you've won the argument with one reply? I treat every defection on it's own merits Hargreaves is different to Bunbury is different to De Guzman, some are more acceptable and palatable than others, this isn't some knee-jerk jilted john reaction.

Nomad
06-25-2011, 01:11 PM
It doesn't mean I applaud it. More likely, it would mean I was unaware of it.

How many people in England do you suspect were aware of the Hargreaves saga in Canada, when he decided to cap himself with England? None, because they were on the receiving end of his talents. They wouldn't care, or be bothered to look into it.

- Scott

English people were completely aware of it and did care but at the end of the day he produced results. Iain Hume was born in Scotland, has a lovely Scottish accent and played all his years in football abroad. Do you care that he plays for the CMNT?

Yohan
06-25-2011, 01:18 PM
English people were completely aware of it and did care but at the end of the day he produced results. Iain Hume was born in Scotland, has a lovely Scottish accent and played all his years in football abroad. Do you care that he plays for the CMNT?
I highly doubt that Iain Hume stringed along Scottish FA that he'd play for Scotland

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2011, 01:24 PM
English people were completely aware of it and did care but at the end of the day he produced results.

If "at the end of the day he produced results", then no, they didn't care.

- Scott

Nomad
06-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I highly doubt that Iain Hume stringed along Scottish FA that he'd play for Scotland

Hargreaves played for Wales as a youth then switched to England as an adult. He's never played for Canada. Teenagers may say lots of things at that age for TV.

ag futbol
06-25-2011, 01:52 PM
seriously how much are the odds of this happening? IMO not very much.
lol, tell me about it.

Does faberge egg man want to play in a league with terrible officiating, turf fields, short rosters, that extracts a physical grind on people? I think not.

Tell him to try Dubai, UAE or one of those

Azerban
06-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I feel the same way about Roy Hodgson and Rafael Benitez.

i'd love for someone to "fuck" TFC over like Rafa fucked Liverpool

TFCRegina
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Yeah, TFC could use a good Rafa fucking. I agree 100%.

ExiledRed
06-25-2011, 02:59 PM

Oh for sure.

hahahahaha maroon.

nimamalek
06-25-2011, 03:05 PM
You know he is in a very bad way when Man U offer Michael Owen a new contract but not Owen Hargreaves. Both of these guys are incredibly injury prone, MO has missed a ton of games for years and years but even he is not considered as big a risk as OH. Hargreaves may very well retire rather than move clubs, he has had a fantastic career, he has enough money saved I would presume and I certainly feel he does not need to continue. He also has to take into account his own well being, his knees are obviously in a very bad way, does he really want to risk the ability to walk in later life by continuing to play. Celtic had a young promising defender a few years ago called John Kennedy who had a very bad injury. Like OH he tried to come back on many occasions but would always break down after a string of three games or so. After many operations he made the decision to retire at 26 or something. It does happen and I really think OH would be very wise to call time on his career, at 30 and in his condition it would be a very wise move for him.

He's a greedy bastard that's why he'll keep playing, same reason he decided to play for England, the endorsements were greater and he made more money.

ExiledRed
06-25-2011, 03:09 PM
He's a greedy bastard that's why he'll keep playing, same reason he decided to play for England, the endorsements were greater and he made more money.

So the price of not hurting your feelings is millions of bucks.

What a callous, inconsiderate cunt, hargreaves is then. Anybody else would have said 'stuff your endorsements, and millions of dollars, I dont want to upset the voyageurs'

prizby
06-25-2011, 03:56 PM
i think most of us are past the he picked england over canada thing...so what...just don't expect a welcome home mat to be unveiled should you decide to come back and play in Canada...you didn't feel Canada was good enough for you, and we don't want anything to fucking do with you...eat it

J .
06-25-2011, 05:22 PM
It is bullshit he would not have had the opportunity to represent Canada and not make money, endorsements and all that. How many poorer nations than us have footballers playing in the EPL or whenever and still play for their homeland?

Canada > Everything else. If you dont get it, you never will and probably are Canadian of convenience. As for anyone who chooses Canada, good for them. Its a fuck them or fuck us world in football, and Id rather other nations get fucked over than Canada and if youre a Canadian you should understand that.

Fact is if he came to TFC it would divide supporters. I would boo him endlessly, mid chant or not. I wouldnt cheer when he scored and I would applaud when he got hurt. Same with Traitor Bunbury. Fuck him.

backbeat
06-25-2011, 05:29 PM
It is bullshit he would not have had the opportunity to represent Canada and not make money, endorsements and all that. How many poorer nations than us have footballers playing in the EPL or whenever and still play for their homeland?

Canada > Everything else. If you dont get it, you never will and probably are Canadian of convenience. As for anyone who chooses Canada, good for them. Its a fuck them or fuck us world in football, and Id rather other nations get fucked over than Canada and if youre a Canadian you should understand that.

Fact is if he came to TFC it would divide supporters. I would boo him endlessly, mid chant or not. I wouldnt cheer when he scored and I would applaud when he got hurt. Same with Traitor Bunbury. Fuck him.

if he's in a TFC kit and you boo him you're not a TFC fan - period.

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2011, 05:31 PM
So the price of not hurting your feelings is millions of bucks.

What a callous, inconsiderate cunt, hargreaves is then. Anybody else would have said 'stuff your endorsements, and millions of dollars, I dont want to upset the voyageurs'

Lots of top-flight footballers are more than thrilled to play for their home countries - many of which are small or developing nations in Eastern Europe, and Africa.

I don't buy the "endorsements" argument. The guy would have more than enough opportunities for financial gain, being a Manchester United player.

He simply wasn't motivated to play for Canada - he wanted to win. It's why he kept "upgrading" - shunning Canada first, followed by Wales.

- Scott

ExiledRed
06-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Lots of top-flight footballers are more than thrilled to play for their home countries - many of which are small or developing nations in Eastern Europe, and Africa.

I don't buy the "endorsements" argument. The guy would have more than enough opportunities for financial gain, being a Manchester United player.

He simply wasn't motivated to play for Canada - he wanted to win. It's why he kept "upgrading" - shunning Canada first, followed by Wales.

- Scott

If he's never played that world cup, United wouldnt have signed him.

ExiledRed
06-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Hargreaves hates freedom.

He, Bunbury and DeGuzman are the axis of evil.

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2011, 06:14 PM
If he's never played that world cup, United wouldnt have signed him.

This is easy to say in retrospect, but it's impossible to be certain his talents in Germany wouldn't have impressed one of the big four to sign him eventually.

- Scott

ExiledRed
06-25-2011, 06:53 PM
This is easy to say in retrospect, but it's impossible to be certain his talents in Germany wouldn't have impressed one of the big four to sign him eventually.
- Scott

Its easier to say that his performance in the world cup, and the media attention that followed were instrumental in the MU signing than to suggest he still would have been signed by United, and the fee would have been as high as it was, yes.

Much easier.

werewolf
06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Manchester were tracking him prior to the 2006 World Cup, but bids were rejected, and he signed a contract extension in Munich. The only thing the World Cup did was increase his transfer value before the second coming of Sebastian Deisler.

uncle p
06-25-2011, 07:51 PM
If Canada wasn't good enough for him on the national level why would it be good enough on the club level?

COUNTRY, CLUB, GOD.....isnt that the saying?

ExiledRed
06-25-2011, 08:06 PM
COUNTRY, CLUB, GOD.....isnt that the saying?

Well its definitely a saying.

Whether it has any worth to anybody, or whether everybody should say it is totally debatable.

Shakes McQueen
06-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Its easier to say that his performance in the world cup, and the media attention that followed were instrumental in the MU signing than to suggest he still would have been signed by United, and the fee would have been as high as it was, yes.

Much easier.

Yes, it's easier to state that what happened did, in fact, happen. It's also easy to state things could only have possibly happened the way they did, looking backwards.

That doesn't make it right. Hargreaves was a good player, and probably would have gotten the attention of a top team, eventually.

- Scott

prizby
06-26-2011, 07:11 AM
if he's in a TFC kit and you boo him you're not a TFC fan - period.

so last game when tfc lost and a lot of fans booed at the end, the stadium was full of non TFC fans?

backbeat
06-26-2011, 08:48 AM
so last game when tfc lost and a lot of fans booed at the end, the stadium was full of non TFC fans?

that is totally different and you know it.

booing a specific player in a TFC kit while he's playing for TFC and it is completely unrelated to his play on the pitch

i also don't agree with booing our players during the game anyway, we should be cheering them on...supporting them.

what you're referring to was at the end of a very frustrating game and it was emotion let out about the team as a collective...again very different..

Benficachop20
06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
that is totally different and you know it.

booing a specific player in a TFC kit while he's playing for TFC and it is completely unrelated to his play on the pitch

i also don't agree with booing our players during the game anyway, we should be cheering them on...supporting them.

what you're referring to was at the end of a very frustrating game and it was emotion let out about the team as a collective...again very different..

how is it different if ur booing a specific player or the whole team collectively at the end of the match? either way ur boing TFC players. it just seems like ur being a bit of a hypocrite.

tbh i kind of wished we'd boo players during matches when warranted. people just assume that if u boo somebody ur not a fan, and that it won't help etc bla bla bla wa wa wa. Sometimes players need that kick in the ass. and booing one player doesn't mean we hate the team.

Peterson for example continually gives out bad performances, booing him during the game after he gave the ball away for the hundredth time, will be a kick in the ass and heck maybe even give winter an idea that he's not performing. booing doesn't mean we hate the team, just means we care for the team and want and expect better from our players. Can u honestly say blindly supporting a player will help? wat does it do? should we just be happy with the crap we are stuck watching?

but people have their own ways of supporting. if i hear boo's i won't think any less of the fans doing it.

Pookie
06-26-2011, 04:23 PM
^ the concept of booing a player to "give them a kick in the ass" escapes me.

If I'm the player, practicing 7 days a week, running on treadmills, working through the aches and pains of a season, dealing with living in a new city on a meagre salary and I hear some fat ass yahoo in the stands complaining about my play... my first reaction would be a middle finger towards said fat ass and to go about my business. Worrying more about what my coaches thought.

If it continued game in and game out and I opted not to throttle the fat ass, my next might be to review when my contract is up and where I might go next.

Benficachop20
06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
^ the concept of booing a player to "give them a kick in the ass" escapes me.

If I'm the player, practicing 7 days a week, running on treadmills, working through the aches and pains of a season, dealing with living in a new city on a meagre salary and I hear some fat ass yahoo in the stands complaining about my play... my first reaction would be a middle finger towards said fat ass and to go about my business. Worrying more about what my coaches thought.

If it continued game in and game out and I opted not to throttle the fat ass, my next might be to review when my contract is up and where I might go next.

man if a player can't take a little heat, than he's in the wrong business.

wat about when we boo them at the end of the game? is it suddenly different for the players mentally? were still booing the performance right? so wats the difference doing it in the 60th minute?

but than again i think people prefer to pretend everything is going good and do the bounce and sing just can't get enough when we are struggling to create chances against a team with 10 men.

and hey if booing peterson makes him want to get traded im all for it lol.

it just seems like only north america we won't boo the players. u see it everywhere because they want results. like i said only boo if its warranted. if a player has a bad game than watever it happens, but when players like nick garcia who was stinkin it up everymatch than y not? ok maybe no kick in the ass for him but if booing even gives the slight chance to influence the manager to stop starting him than y not?

but like i said everybody has their own way. for me personally i just don't like giving out credit that isn't deserved tbh. at the end of matches when they come to the corner despite a shit performance and losing a match in embarrassing circumstances, i don't get y we should applaud. yes it is our team but doesn't mean i have to always be happy with what they give me. U get mad at ur family but doesn't mean u hate them. when they put in a decent game than give them respect but when they continue to put atrocious performances than y should we pretend to be happy?

Shakes McQueen
06-26-2011, 04:53 PM
it just seems like only north america we won't boo the players.

Home team players get booed in North American sports all the time, when they play poorly. What backbeat is objecting to, is the specific idea of booing Hargreaves for no other reason than being Owen Hargreaves, if he was to don a TFC kit.

And frankly, I kind of agree with him. I don't like Hargreaves, but if he somehow ended up at TFC, I'd at least sit there quietly. I'm not going to boo our own players, unless their play warrants that reaction.

- Scott