PDA

View Full Version : Owen Hargreaves

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TFCRegina
09-22-2011, 01:01 PM
oh my aching head.

How about this ENORmous grass roots interest turn up for Canada games. The CSA is improving their approach to getting people out with a minimal marketing budget so they can overpay people like Morace to get our teams the best guidance. The recent failure in raising interest in the Women's side will be felt for a while I'm afraid and we'll have Hart for at least this cycle. Let's keep in mind that by the next World cup the CSA will be overhauling their cracked system completely.

If you're going to propose more radical change let's hear it.

"proper infrastructure" isn't very specific.

He's saying we need more super highways and Light Rail Transit before people will choose Canada.

DangerRed
09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I wonder how many people on here calling Hargreaves a cunt would choose to play for Canada if they were in his shoes talent-wise. I'll be the first to say I would jump ship to England or anywhere else if I was a foreign-heritage footballer and I had the option.

No matter how many "Support Local Football" videos you put up on youtube, this country is laughable when it comes to the national men's team and you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

This isn't an issue of players jumping ship but a reflection of where the sports stands in the national psyche, the lack of infrastructure investment in the game in Canada and, to some extent, our population's demographics.

You're essentially saying that Hargreaves should commit his national-team career to perpetual mediocrity and lack of any kind of success just to make a nationalistic point and to prove that he's a "real Canadian?" Come on now.

And it's club over country, anyway...

Yohan
09-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I wonder how many people on here calling Hargreaves a cunt would choose to play for Canada if they were in his shoes talent-wise. I'll be the first to say I would jump ship to England or anywhere else if I was a foreign-heritage footballer and I had the option.

No matter how many "Support Local Football" videos you put up on youtube, this country is laughable when it comes to the national men's team and you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

This isn't an issue of players jumping ship but a reflection of where the sports stands in the national psyche, the lack of infrastructure investment in the game in Canada and, to some extent, our population's demographics.

You're essentially saying that Hargreaves should commit his national-team career to perpetual mediocrity and lack of any kind of success just to make a nationalistic point and to prove that he's a "real Canadian?" Come on now.

And it's club over country, anyway...
I would pick Canada over whatever.

I don't believe that playing for a national team should be tool to advance your playing career. If you're good enough, you should get noticed, right?

Why? Because the maple leaf means something. For me, it's not about playing for the best team available. It's representing the country that I love. And it should be an honour to represent Canada, whenever you have the chance.

I'm over the fact that guys like Hargreaves or Bunbury chose some other country over Canada. Clearly they don't care much for this country. All I ask of those guys is not to falsely lead people.

Fort York Redcoat
09-22-2011, 01:25 PM
^^Your apathy is noted.

Also if you have been following our team you'd know how close we've been close to qualifying over the years. If you don't think he would've made a difference to our team or the sports perception in this country you're deluding yourself with your overwhelming club over country mentality.

DangerRed
09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
^^Your apathy is noted.

Also if you have been following our team you'd know how close we've been close to qualifying over the years. If you don't think he would've made a difference to our team or the sports perception in this country you're deluding yourself with your overwhelming club over country mentality.

I'm not apathetic. I just don't agree with you. One point I think you do have is that Hargreaves would have made a difference. Just like he would to any other national team. He just decided to choose the MNT he plays for with his brain rather than his heart, and that bothers you as a Canadian. I understand that.

All I'm saying is if I was in his shoes, I would probably choose the same. You can call me un-Canadian if you like, but while for you this is clearly a passionate, nationalistic past time, for footballers this is a job. If every minute you get to showcase your skill for potential employers depends on whether they're watching, do you think you have better odds of being noticed at Canada v St. Lucia, or at England v France?

Fort York Redcoat
09-22-2011, 02:31 PM
And all I'm saying is your excusing him being a mercenary at the international level. I won't excuse that. If these players wanted to be respected more as businessmen than cheered as athletes then I'd go down to Bay Street with flags and banners before I'd watch football.

We don't jeer them for not staying at their home club but I like having the line being international football.

It's not really worth this back and forth since you've seemed to have already been decided. I just think it's a shame that it's considered by some that it's smarter to not be patriotic. I think you can be both.

TorontoPat
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I'd play for Canada. Isn't playing in the EPL enough exposure? Playing for Canada would have been the correct decision if you consider yourself Canadian.

Brooker
09-22-2011, 02:57 PM
:facepalm:

People can play for who they want. It's not surprising the number of players born in Canada who don't play for it, honestly you can't blame these people Canada isn't much of a footballing country. That's the reality.

I never said people can't play for who they want. I have no clue why you quoted my post considering you didn't even touch on anything I said. All you did was drag the conversation back to the very beginning without going into any detail other than "People play for who they want. Canada sucks. That's the reality."

Sure! Play for whoever the fuck you want! My point was that they shouldn't drain our resources, waste our time and money, only to bail on us at the last minute. If you don't want to play for Canada, fuck off!

Welcome to the board.

TorontoPat
09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
David Hoilett could b e another example. I consider him Canadian, howewver if he decides to play for Jamaica or England one day. He won't be Canadian anymore in my eyes.

brad
09-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Gawd I love this song.

fipEh7iF6RY

I haven't watched this since it came out - and still find myself singing it a few times a week. Awesome

brad
09-22-2011, 06:30 PM
I'd play for Canada. Isn't playing in the EPL enough exposure? Playing for Canada would have been the correct decision if you consider yourself Canadian.

I believe he committed himself to England at the U20 level (which at the time committed you to the senior level as well) before breaking into Bayern's first team.

Edit: he made a sub appearance for Bayern shortly before England and his full Bayern debut a few weeks later.

FIAF
09-22-2011, 08:34 PM
I never said people can't play for who they want. I have no clue why you quoted my post considering you didn't even touch on anything I said. All you did was drag the conversation back to the very beginning without going into any detail other than "People play for who they want. Canada sucks. That's the reality."

Sure! Play for whoever the fuck you want! My point was that they shouldn't drain our resources, waste our time and money, only to bail on us at the last minute. If you don't want to play for Canada, fuck off!

Welcome to the board.

The "pieces of shit" comment seemed to imply it was like murder or something...something that shouldn't done...I dunno man. Bit too harsh, brah.

Thanks.

vergilg
09-23-2011, 06:54 AM
oh my aching head.

How about this ENORmous grass roots interest turn up for Canada games. The CSA is improving their approach to getting people out with a minimal marketing budget so they can overpay people like Morace to get our teams the best guidance. The recent failure in raising interest in the Women's side will be felt for a while I'm afraid and we'll have Hart for at least this cycle. Let's keep in mind that by the next World cup the CSA will be overhauling their cracked system completely.

If you're going to propose more radical change let's hear it.

"proper infrastructure" isn't very specific.

The size of the crowds at soccer games is in direct correlation to the level of competition. For example, here in Ottawa we have great PDL and CSL teams but crowds are a few hundred at most. Next, they want to bring an NASL franchise. Like in Montreal and Toronto, the crowds for those games will be in the low thousands.

My point is, if you want to draw big interest and media go for the top - MLS. That's the top league in North Am.

Fushida
09-23-2011, 08:06 AM
The size of the crowds at soccer games is in direct correlation to the level of competition. For example, here in Ottawa we have great PDL and CSL teams but crowds are a few hundred at most. Next, they want to bring an NASL franchise. Like in Montreal and Toronto, the crowds for those games will be in the low thousands.

My point is, if you want to draw big interest and media go for the top - MLS. That's the top league in North Am.

what are you talking about?

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-23-2011, 09:05 AM
pretty classless taking not so subtle pot shots at his former clubs training. he should just move on with his career.

TFCRegina
09-26-2011, 10:43 AM
FYI: Joseph DiChara, a player who has never received a Canadian youth call up and plays in the Russian Premier League, has accepted an offer to play for Canada in October.

Look, a player who knows you don't have to play for every or any youth squad to play for the Senior National team.

Waggy
09-26-2011, 11:16 AM
FYI: Joseph DiChara, a player who has never received a Canadian youth call up and plays in the Russian Premier League, has accepted an offer to play for Canada in October.

Look, a player who knows you don't have to play for every or any youth squad to play for the Senior National team.

He didn't play for anyone elses youth program. He also grew up here. Not a comparable to Hargreaves

TFCRegina
09-26-2011, 11:21 AM
He didn't play for anyone elses youth program. He also grew up here. Not a comparable to Hargreaves

You're right, he didn't play for Wales' youth program and jump to another country right after that.

Although Hargreaves did grow up in Canada, and spent the last years of his childhood in Germany. Neither of which are in the country he chose to play for.

Oblio2
09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
The current squad (according to Wikipedia) has the follwing players, who were NOT from Canada

Milan Borjan - GK-Serbian
Mike Kluwkowski - D -Austrian
Simeon Jackson - F- Jamaica
Ian Hume- F- Scotland

Haidar Al-Shabiani - GK-Algeria
Jacovic -D-Serbia
Pacheco - M-Portugal

Seems we are happy to accept others but when a player does the same to us, we vilify the guy for the rest of his life?

DichioTFC
09-26-2011, 12:25 PM
^ Truth. CMNT supporters have a double standard.

Yohan
09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
The current squad (according to Wikipedia) has the follwing players, who were NOT from Canada

Ian Hume- F- Scotland

Jacovic -D-Serbia
Pacheco - M-Portugal

Seems we are happy to accept others but when a player does the same to us, we vilify the guy for the rest of his life?
Most of those guys grew up in Canada through childhood and teen years at least.

We are crucifying Hargreaves for the manner which he rejected Canada and chose to play for England.

Oldtimer
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM

We are crucifying Hargreaves for the manner which he rejected Canada and chose to play for England.

That's the point. He learned his game here, but used his dad's passport for greater career possibilities. in addition, his example made it possible for others to think of doing the same.

Whoop
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM

That's the point. He learned his game here, but used his dad's passport for greater career possibilities. in addition, his example made it possible for others to think of doing the same.

These.

uncle p
09-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Ian Hume- F- Scotland

Jacovic -D-Serbia
Pacheco - M-Portugal

This isnt exactly a fair example. Im not any of the above mentioned nationalities, so I dont really care who they turn their back's on. I'm a proud Canadian upset at another Canadian who chose not to play for (and represent) Canada.

TFCRegina
09-26-2011, 03:02 PM
^ Truth. CMNT supporters have a double standard.

It'd be a double standard if any of those players had grown up in the country they're listed under.

Every single one of them was raised in Canada and developed in the Canadian system.

TFCtoMUFC
09-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Ian Hume- F- Scotland

Jacovic -D-Serbia
Pacheco - M-Portugal

None of those players would crack their respective "other" national teams. Hargreaves rejected us, those players would be rejected by their teams. Not the same.

Waggy
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
You're right, he didn't play for Wales' youth program and jump to another country right after that.

Although Hargreaves did grow up in Canada, and spent the last years of his childhood in Germany. Neither of which are in the country he chose to play for.

I wasn't comenting on that particular traitors history. I'm referring to the kid you are talking about. If he did play for another countries youth team then I'd be more than happy to tell him to go fuck himself. International competition is the best from country a vs the best from country b. Not the best from country a, plus the guys who couldn't make country b vs the best from country b plus the ones who couldn't make country c. Or some glory chasing piece of donkey trash who "Just wants to play in the world cup". What about playing for the world cup for YOUR country, isnt that the point?

Relja
09-26-2011, 04:11 PM
None of those players would crack their respective "other" national teams. Hargreaves rejected us, those players would be rejected by their teams. Not the same.

Borjan I think could have possibly made the serbian goalkeeper position. After the Stojkovic fiasco the spot is still being passed around to various domestic Serbian goalkeepers. Only problem is I havent seen a good serbian goalkeeper in a long time.

brad
09-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Pretty much all football supporters have a double standard, it comes with the territory IMHO.

TorontoPat
09-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Pretty much all football supporters have a double standard, it comes with the territory IMHO.
There is a double standard with everything. Any country will accept a traitor if he brings secrets/ info, etc.

MartinUtd
09-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Looks like you guys wrapped this up rather conclusively.

Any chance the OH thread can die now? I'd actually rather be talking about the DeRo trade.