PDA

View Full Version : Fans to purchase Teacher's Pension share??

Maltese Falcon
06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
http://ownthemapleleafs.com/

This was mentioned in between periods in one of the last Stanley Cup games. Would be interesting if enough fans could come together to have the potential to own a share in these Toronto Franchise's....Check it out

eustacchio
06-15-2011, 05:22 PM
I read something about that the other day.

Immediately I thought, if hockey fans buy out the teachers what does that mean for the other teams (TFC/Raptors)?

SirBobSaget
06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
This group of "investors" would become more stingy then the Pension Fund once their 1000$ devalues to 500$ within months.

The only guy having his "ownership dream" come true from this scheme is the guy thats pushing for it who has positioned himself at the top.

Whats to stop someone from investing directly in MLSE shares? You can own 1 millionth and exude zero control in that just as well.

Auzzy
06-15-2011, 05:40 PM
If you check out their Facebook page:

We want to set up a group to generate interest for anyone to own MLSE including the Leafs, the Raptors, Toronto FC, the Marlies, Air Canada Centre, BMO field and other assets...

This was discussed a while ago in another thread. The whole thing doesn't sound very realistic. Now, they do seem to have amassed more investment pledges than many people thought -- but you can't exactly take pledges to the bank. We shall see.

Auzzy
06-15-2011, 05:41 PM
This group of "investors" would become more stingy then the Pension Fund once their 1000$ devalues to 500$ within months.

The only guy having his "ownership dream" come true from this scheme is the guy thats pushing for it who has positioned himself at the top.

Whats to stop someone from investing directly in MLSE shares? You can own 1 millionth and exude zero control in that just as well.

You can't (currently) purchase MLSE shares, because it's a privately-held corporation, not publicly traded.

DichioTFC
06-15-2011, 06:01 PM
^ true. but if investors gather enough money, they can try to make an acquisition. from there, it can be divided, by shares, so all investors get a piece of the action

private companies get purchased all the time.

Auzzy
06-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I realize that. My post was just in response to the comment "Whats to stop someone from investing directly in MLSE shares?"

Beach_Red
06-15-2011, 06:38 PM
We were talking about this is in the hockey thread today. I think it could work like the ownership of the Geeen Bay Packers.

"Green Bay Packers, Inc., was founded as a non-profit corporation in 1922 under the leadership of A.B. Turnbull, then publisher of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, who became the organization's first president. There are 4,750,937 shares of stock owned by 112,120 stockholders. The corporation is governed by a seven-member Executive Committee, elected from a board of directors. The committee directs corporate management, approves major capital expenditures, establishes broad policy and monitors management's performance in conducting the business and affairs of the corporation."

s2cazz
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Why on earth would you want to buy a small share in MLSE when for the price of a season ticket in the south end you could obtain 100% ownership of the crew.

Globetrotter
06-15-2011, 09:02 PM
this thread was around a few months ago when it was first announced... when it was news. i'd chip in.

TFC John
06-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Seriously? Are you not content with just losing on the field/ice/court? Now you want to lose in the market too? Shake your head. The Leafs were losing long before the Teachers got involved. Don't you remember Harold Ballard? MLSE does not suffer from bad ownership. It doesn't suffer from bad business management. It suffers from have too little passion for winning. You buy a share won't fix that. It will only make you one of those incompetent owner who are ruining this franchise.

When it comes to MLSE it really is a no win situation.

Alonso
06-16-2011, 04:18 PM
I'd love to see this done but set up like FC Barcelona....

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2000/05/20000529/No-Topic-Name/FC-Barcelona-By-The-Fans-For-The-Fans.aspx

I've pledged to be a part of this. It's a lofty dream, but whats life without a good dream right?

Alonso
06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
"Such a philosophy is a radical departure from the unfettered capitalism that guides U.S. clubs. Fages suffers through disappointing losses like any fan, but he won't have to worry about the most disappointing loss of all, the relocation of his favorite team. Unlike baseball's Florida Marlins, his favorite franchise won't be gutted by the whim of a hardened businessman. Unlike hockey's Carolina Hurricanes, it will never have to struggle to gain a foothold in an uninterested community. His ticket prices won't ever be summarily raised 20 percent, nor concession prices doubled to give investors a better rate of return. It's a concept, most fans would agree, that's worthy of examination."

Quote from the article.... AMEN!!!!! F**CK!NG AMEN

Shakes McQueen
06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Nice idea. Won't happen.

- Scott