PDA

View Full Version : greg sutton

__wowza
06-15-2011, 08:48 AM
sutton just made team of the week.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/06/14/mlssoccercom-team-week-week-13

is it just me, or does anyone else here still share a soft spot for the big man? he gave us some great games, and after watching the NYRB's game (he was fantastic) part of me couldn't help but feel that he could've helped canada out in the gold cup. just wanted to post my fondness for the man.

Fort York Redcoat
06-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Absolutely wish he could help us out still but he's just not the future we're trying to build.

kodiakTFC
06-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Borjan is a better pick for Canada but how can one not love sutton. Great guy and great keeper.

Globetrotter
06-15-2011, 08:51 AM
not at all. his kicking was terrible. and he'd hang his head all the time after each poor kick, like he thought i would have been better!

After watching Borjan play 3 games recently, I can now say he's equally as poor as Sutton.

Ball kicked... floating, drifting, out of bounds. Good job boys.

Roogsy
06-15-2011, 09:01 AM
The man has had a great knack for saving PKs. Every keeper has a weakness. Sutz's was his quiet demeanor. But the man stands big and tall in net and can make some eye-popping saves. Still can.

When Frei leaves, I think it would be silly not to look at Sutz again.

__wowza
06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
But the man stands big and tall in net and can make some eye-popping saves.

he can't help but stand big and tall, he's he's 6'6. his wiki page used to have his hometown listed as "the top of the beanstalk". i often wonder why we never started up a:

HE'S BIG
HE'S RED
HIS FEET STICK OUT IN BED
GREG SUTTON! GREG SUTTON!

http://lakeplacidsoccer.com/homepage/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Greg-SuttonMike-Toschack-.jpg

"after youre done destroying the village, i want you up for the next corner"

Brooker
06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
There's only one....

brad
06-15-2011, 09:27 AM
The man has had a great knack for saving PKs. Every keeper has a weakness. Sutz's was his quiet demeanor. But the man stands big and tall in net and can make some eye-popping saves. Still can.

When Frei leaves, I think it would be silly not to look at Sutz again.

I always thought his biggest weakness was that he tended to send rebounds straight back down the middle of the park instead of off to the side. We got scored on a lot because of this.

Cashcleaner
06-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Sutton was the man! I'll always have mad respect for the guy. Not perfect, but a great choice for us when we had him. Frei is the keeper out of the two, but Sutton deserves some praise as being one of the few anchors we had in the club's earliest seasons.

Suds
06-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Sutton has always been a solid keeper but I would not swap him for Frei.

Glad to hear Sutton is still doing well. He's a class guy and deserves what good comes to him.

Yohan
06-15-2011, 09:44 AM
He's #1 keeper for NYRB right now. He has his weaknesses, but you can do a lot worse than have Sutton in the net

Roogsy
06-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Sutton has always been a solid keeper but I would not swap him for Frei.

Glad to hear Sutton is still doing well. He's a class guy and deserves what good comes to him.

I don't think swapping him for Frei is a good idea either, but it's good to have a plan "B" as well.

Roogsy
06-15-2011, 10:09 AM
http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2011/06/vote-sutton-mls-save-week-wk-13

ag futbol
06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
In many ways Sutton is a prototypical MLS keeper, great shot stopper but falls short in many other areas. Like Frei, he's not great at coming out for crosses but his greatest shortcoming is probably his distribution.

Say what you want about Borjan, but until Hart clearly instructed the keeper to keep playing the ball up top to the target man (which brutally failed) the distribution was pretty damn good. He didn't waste any time finding an open man for an outlet.

BTW, he's only 23 which is really young in keeper terms. Definitely made a hash of some crosses late, but otherwise I think he was easily an improvement over Lars hirschfeld.

rocker
06-15-2011, 11:45 AM
I thought Sutts wasn't that strong on low shots (in addition to the distribution problems mentioned above). Medium height shots and high shots -- great stopper.

Good guy, decent keeper, but I don't miss him at all (from what I've seen of Kocic, he might be better than Sutts).

Isn't he starting for NYRB because "It's Bouna Time" is injured?

Since we're reminiscing, I always loved Brian Edwards distribution. He could pick out anybody down field.

Derko
06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I think Wowza's post was a subtle way of having some admiration for a solid keeper and was speculating if Sutton had have contributed and helped Canada advance at the Gold Cup! Keep the thread in perspective lads.

ManUtd4ever
06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Sutts is still ok in my books.

Yohan
06-15-2011, 02:53 PM

actually, he won the #1 spot from Condoul. Condoul took over for Sutts when Sutts got injured, but Sutton got it back.

los sonadores
06-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Underrated keeper. Distribution is lousy, but he has more command of his area than Frei still does, and is just as good or better a shot stopper. He seems to have become more vocal as he's gotten older.

Shakes McQueen
06-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Sutts was great on PKs, and made some eye-popping acrobatic saves in the air. Always seemed to have trouble with the lower and more routine stuff, though.

I've got nothing but appreciation for Sutts.

- Scott

West220Side
06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
He'd tear up this league!

All joking aside, I do miss him. Probably because it represents a long lost TFC with heart. You know? Velez, Serioux, Brennan, Dichio, Robinson. His names in that lot of people who gave it there all.

Alonso
06-16-2011, 04:34 AM
not at all. his kicking was terrible. and he'd hang his head all the time after each poor kick, like he thought i would have been better!

After watching Borjan play 3 games recently, I can now say he's equally as poor as Sutton.

Ball kicked... floating, drifting, out of bounds. Good job boys.

Haha, love the guys on here saying he is great and the future, meanwhile he is kicking the ball out of bounds 2 out of 5 times and unable to make the obvious saves.

I love the guys loyalty and passion, and his youth could be in his favour as far as improvment goes. But in no way is this guy, at this point, going to help the national team win.

Alonso
06-16-2011, 04:41 AM
I thought Sutts wasn't that strong on low shots (in addition to the distribution problems mentioned above). Medium height shots and high shots -- great stopper.

Good guy, decent keeper, but I don't miss him at all (from what I've seen of Kocic, he might be better than Sutts).

Since we're reminiscing, I always loved Brian Edwards distribution. He could pick out anybody down field.

Is that why he is your "forever" avatar? Which is, by the way, FREAKY.

Dude looks like a serial killer in that avatar.

Alixir
06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
I am probably the only person here who is happy that we got rid of bambi. All you had to do was kick it at his legs and its in the back of the net.

maninb
06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
For a big man he's BRUTAL at controlling his area...

__wowza
06-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Is that why he is your "forever" avatar? Which is, by the way, FREAKY.

Dude looks like a serial killer in that avatar.

nothings worse than rockers. i keep thinking it's a younger nick hexum.

los sonadores
06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
For a big man he's BRUTAL at controlling his area...

Better than anyone we've had. And he has good hands as well.

los sonadores
06-16-2011, 05:58 PM
I am probably the only person here who is happy that we got rid of bambi. All you had to do was kick it at his legs and its in the back of the net.

That's pretty simplistic - he got closer to a lot of stuff than smaller keepers would have and his positioning was usually very good. He bailed out TFC many time in his years here. Besides, 4 consecutive USL keeper of the year awards and a .5 goals against average say otherwise. As pointed out earlier in the thread, he's currently starting over Coundoul. He probably would have helped the national team. Distribution and a weakness for suffering concussions were his main problems.

maninb
06-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Better than anyone we've had. And he has good hands as well.

Completely disagree...Frei is MUCH MUCH better at coming off his line...

Yohan
06-17-2011, 01:28 PM
I also suspect that Sutton looks better at NYRB right now because Marquez is organizing the defence, and Sutton doesn't have to do as much

brandrews
06-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Completely disagree...Frei is MUCH MUCH better at coming off his line...

frei watches balls land at the top of the six from his line; it's the major weak point of his game. sutton is definitely a more commanding presence in the box.

Roogsy
06-17-2011, 01:46 PM
No, unfortunately Marquez has not had a "DP" level impact on defense. Sutz (and Condoul) are still being forced into big saves and in Sutz's case, more PKs in a few games than TFC has seen all year.

Roogsy
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
I love Frei. Probably our best player this year. But his command of crosses and set pieces into his box is definitely average.

brandrews
06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
I love Frei. Probably our best player this year. But his command of crosses and set pieces into his box is definitely average.

oh yeah, don't get me wrong...haha. i'm a big fan; great shot stopper, phenomenal reflexes; fairly good distribution; seems to be getting better and better at taking the lead and organizing.

just needs to get better at judging balls into the box and cutting them out.

kodiakTFC
06-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Sutton is having an absolutely awful game against Portland right now.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Dero at the death......Worth Every penny!

Roogsy
06-19-2011, 11:05 PM

A couple of brainfarts but also a couple of humongous saves including saving a PK. I don't see it as Greg's fault as much as the product of an incredible crazy game. Red cards, rowdy crowds, 6 goals, 5 of them in the 2nd half, PKs. You can't maket his stuff up.

Auzzy
06-19-2011, 11:54 PM
A couple of brainfarts but also a couple of humongous saves including saving a PK. I don't see it as Greg's fault as much as the product of an incredible crazy game. Red cards, rowdy crowds, 6 goals, 5 of them in the 2nd half, PKs. You can't maket his stuff up.

I don't think Sutton actually saved the PK tonight. But I think he would have saved it, if Jewsbury hadn't bounced the penalty off the upright.

Auzzy
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Big oops, Greg Sutton & NY vs Seattle:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=114&id=16197

kodiakTFC
06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Big oops, Greg Sutton & NY vs Seattle:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=114&id=16197

Sutton has some of the worst nerves ive seen from a professional keeper. He makes spectacular saves but you forget about them because of his awful mistakes.

Detroit_TFC
06-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Sutton has some of the worst nerves ive seen from a professional keeper. He makes spectacular saves but you forget about them because of his awful mistakes.

Well said.

Roogsy
06-24-2011, 12:41 PM
That was pretty bad.

Hard to watch.