PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Impact has BMO as its main sponsor

ForestGlade
06-14-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.impactmontreal.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1649

As official sponsor, BMO will have its logo displayed on the Montreal Impact jersey, in a section of Saputo Stadium, on the players’ bench, at the stadium’s main entrance and on tickets.

Kill me now

RedsYNWA
06-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Makes more sence than us
It is Bank of MONTREAL and BLUE is their colour

Otherwise who cares happens in Europe all the time

tfcleeds
06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
What, you mean their sponsor isn't going to be TD?

billyfly
06-14-2011, 11:20 AM
What, you mean their sponsor isn't going to be TD?

This is what I was going to post.

Suds
06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Makes more sence than us
It is Bank of MONTREAL and BLUE is their colour

Otherwise who cares happens in Europe all the time

Also makes sense because o the amount if sponsorship BMO has been doing around soccer in general in Canada.

They probably see soccer as an untapped growing market to put their advertising dollars and community projects into. Which is great. The more corporate dollars floating into soccer across Canada the better.

Whoop
06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Makes sense. BMO is putting money into soccer in Canada.

Whoop
06-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Though soon it could be like Rangers/Celtic and the top 3 in Portugal... where they all have the same jersey sponsor. LOL

TFC07
06-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I saw this coming a mile away! BMO is really tapping into Canadian soccer market. Good for them!

Also remember Toronto and Vancouver also sharing some of their sponsors (Tim Hortons, Air Canada, BMO)

Carts
06-14-2011, 11:39 AM
With Bell on the Vancouver jersey, I thought Rogers would make a play for the Montreal Jersey - just b/c of the competition between the two... Although with the Jays and Rogers Centre, they have plenty of presence in the Toronto sports market already and Rogers Sports Net nationally...

Then again - perhaps they're waiting to make a play for the TFC jersey when the BMO jersey deal expires (which I have no idea / information when-if-how it does)...

It's not a far stretch, Bell on the Vancouver Blue, Rogers on the TFC Red, and Bank of Montreal on the Montreal kit...

Carts...

kodiakTFC
06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
With Bell on the Vancouver jersey, I thought Rogers would make a play for the Montreal Jersey - just b/c of the competition between the two... Although with the Jays and Rogers Centre, they have plenty of presence in the Toronto sports market already and Rogers Sports Net nationally...

Then again - perhaps they're waiting to make a play for the TFC jersey when the BMO jersey deal expires (which I have no idea / information when-if-how it does)...

It's not a far stretch, Bell on the Vancouver Blue, Rogers on the TFC Red, and Bank of Montreal on the Montreal kit...

Carts...

The jersey sponorship has a few more years on it. I'm not angry with this, if anything we should be celebrating BMO for their work in Canadian soccer. Honestly, I have considered switching from CIBC to BMO.

TFC&SpursGuy
06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
BMO on the TFC jersey until 2016.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/bmo-renews-toronto-fc-jersey-sponsorship-tsx-bmo-1285550.htm

drewski
06-14-2011, 12:04 PM
it makes sense, but I'll still feel dirty sharing a sponsor.

Though soon it could be like Rangers/Celtic and the top 3 in Portugal... where they all have the same jersey sponsor. LOL

they go a step beyond sharing sponsors and enter into joint contracts for their sponsor.

ForestGlade
06-14-2011, 12:12 PM
it makes sense, but I'll still feel dirty sharing a sponsor.

THIS

Roogsy
06-14-2011, 12:16 PM
BMO is also a sponsor of Vancouver, so in fact, they are sponsors of all 3 teams except Bell is the shirt sponsor for the Whitecaps. BMO is very dedicated to supporting soccer in Canada and being visible in the soccer space. A space once owned by CIBC.

SilverSamurai
06-14-2011, 12:22 PM
BMO is also a sponsor of Vancouver, so in fact, they are sponsors of all 3 teams except Bell is the shirt sponsor for the Whitecaps. BMO is very dedicated to supporting soccer in Canada and being visible in the soccer space. A space once owned by CIBC.
Do they support the CSA as well?

ManUtd4ever
06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I think it's great that BMO is assuming a prominent role as a sponsor of Canadian soccer clubs, but I'm not a fan of clubs in the same league (especially rivals) having the same shirt sponsor.

Cashcleaner
06-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm gonna be honest, I'm more than a little surprised that BMO is going sponsor both clubs. Sure, there are some good reasons for doing so. It's just that I figured for sure Saputo would either keep his company's logo on it or Hydro Quebec or someone.

Actually, you know what? While I'm still surprised BMO teamed-up with them, it's not surprising that larger corporations in Canada are stepping up to soccer and wanting to really help push the product. I mean think about some of the sponsors we have compared to a lot of the team down south. There are a lot of local companies and organizations with advert space at many US stadiums, but only a few larger companies along the lines of Bell Canada or BMO Bank involved.

tfcleeds
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
^I figured Saputo was for sure going to be their shirt sponsor as well.

Roogsy
06-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Do they support the CSA as well?

Yes they do as well as some of the major soccer clubs in Canada like the Oakville Soccer Club.

BFin
06-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Carts...

Stating this as my personal opinion for legality reasons:

Rogers wouldn't sponsor a team in Quebec due to the fact that Fido is the biggest presence out there, and with a non-compete agreement with other Cable television providers, there will not be any Rogers Cable there.

From a business perspective it would be smarter to try and get the TFC sponsorship. There is already an existing partnership between TFC and Rogers through gameday sponsorships, events and giveaways...plus there are potential cable and wireless customers entering BMO field, whereas at Saputo if you are likely to convert anyone it is to Fido.

Suds
06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
^^
Saputo figured the other players would mock the L'Impact players when they got hurt in a tackle .. you alright there, sugar?? :D

Whoop
06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
I thought Saputo was big in cheese (and dairy) not sugar. LOL

menefreghista
06-14-2011, 01:02 PM
So glad I still have the original non-sponsor jersey.

BFin
06-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Correct.

Suds
06-14-2011, 01:09 PM

bah, who knows?? I thought they branded and sold sugar as well

give me some time and I'll com up with something like ils puent comme le fromage :D

prizby
06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
If BMO is the shirt sponsor of the Limp Act, then they better be dumping their shirt sponsorship of TFC

it is unacceptable that one of TFC's biggest rivals have the same shirt sponsor. Would Liverpool fans find it acceptable if tomorrow their shirts were sponsored by Chang? What if the Man United shirt sponsor was Etihad Airways...how would Partizan fans feel if Gazprom became their shirt sponsor tomorrow?

Roogsy
06-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't see how it matters. Would Everton and United supporters be less interested in TFC if they had Chang or Carlsberg as their sponsor either? Are we really paying attention to what matters here? The point is a corporation is supporting soccer in this country with MONEY, something that rarely happens in this country at all and we're going to bitch about it?

Carts
06-14-2011, 01:25 PM
If BMO is the shirt sponsor of the Limp Act, then they better be dumping their shirt sponsorship of TFC

it is unacceptable that one of TFC's biggest rivals have the same shirt sponsor. Would Liverpool fans find it acceptable if tomorrow their shirts were sponsored by Chang? What if the Man United shirt sponsor was Etihad Airways...how would Partizan fans feel if Gazprom became their shirt sponsor tomorrow?

Having the same shirt "sponsor" I don't think is a big deal...

In fact, its more 'odd' (on paper) that the 'Bank of Montreal' sponsors at team in Toronto (although we all know they're a national business branded BMO)...

As for the EPL reference, I think it would hurt rivals more if say a ManU kit had 'LIVERPOOL ECU' or a Liverpool Kit had 'MANCHESTER LTD' on the kit, than if they shared the same worldwide bank, insurance, or airline logo... (not that it would ever happen)... lol

Imagine if the BMO logo was just the words 'BANK OF MONTREAL' written out - now that would suck a bit! LOL

Carts....

PS: Yes, I know they're branded as "BMO" now, just posting some thoughts and fun, not to be taken as gospel, or that I am trying to pick a fight, be a wikepedia page of knowledge or stir the pot, or all the other shit that gets people going on every post (ie the branding of a company or the epl reference)...

Stouffville_RPB
06-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't see how it matters. Would Everton and United supporters be less interested in TFC if they had Chang or Carlsberg as their sponsor either? Are we really paying attention to what matters here? The point is a corporation is supporting soccer in this country with MONEY, something that rarely happens in this country at all and we're going to bitch about it?

Your comparison isn't correct. It would be comparing Everton/Liverpool or United/City. It's all trivial really.

Your second point is much more important though. As long as the corporate dollars keep coming in that is all that really matters and all that we should care about.

Whoop
06-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Besides... as I mentioned, it already happens in Scotland and Portugal.

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/celtic-11-12-nike-third-football-shirt-a.jpg

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/rangers-11-12-umbro-home-kit-1.jpg

http://www.soccerpro.com/common/images/P96636_Adidas_Benfica_Home_Jersey_2010_2011_zm.jpg

http://cdn2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/204/525/274/V2u3.jpg

http://www.soccerpro.com/common/images/287531_105_Nike_FC_Porto_Home_zm.jpg

It's all about the $$$

Oldtimer
06-14-2011, 01:28 PM
^This.

dupont
06-14-2011, 01:43 PM
I always thought BMO makes funny sense as the sponsor for TFC. Nothing symbolizes Toronto's rise to dominance within Canada better then when Bank of Montreal moved all it's decision makers and higher-ups to their Toronto headquarters.

JonO
06-14-2011, 01:45 PM
In fact, its more 'odd' (on paper) that the 'Bank of Montreal' sponsors at team in Toronto (although we all know they're a national business branded BMO)...

It's more odd that they are headquartered in Toronto. At the end of the day most of the Canadian banks are getting rid of the blatant references to Canada. More for international business than national though, I believe.

And although BFin (not surprisingly) beat me to it, Rogers is not nearly as big in Montreal as in Toronto. Videotron has a lock on the cable.

Roogsy
06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
None of the banks are "regional" anymore. They're all national and in several cases, international.

The Ottawa Senators play in Scotiabank Place.
How much sense does it make for Boston teams to play at the "TD Gardens"?
Or the Carolina Hurricane to call "RBC Center" their home?
All banks have their headquarters in Toronto. Some banks are not "Toronto" banks by origin. RBC started in Halifax. BMO is obviously a Montreal bank. Only CIBC and TD can be said are true "Toronto" banks.

Whoop
06-14-2011, 01:52 PM
^^

That's why they are going more and more with their acronyms.

kodiakTFC
06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
It's more odd that they are headquartered in Toronto. At the end of the day most of the Canadian banks are getting rid of the blatant references to Canada. More for international business than national though, I believe.

And although BFin (not surprisingly) beat me to it, Rogers is not nearly as big in Montreal as in Toronto. Videotron has a lock on the cable.

I know this is true for TD Canada Trust. The bank is now TD Bank, dropping the Canada Trust and the TD no longer stands for Toronto Dominon (in favor of nothing). All of this is to aid their southern expansion.

Roogsy
06-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Yup.

The Royal Bank of Canada became the RBC Financial Group with their main P&C operations dubbed "RBC Royal Bank".

The Bank of Montreal became BMO Financial Group although their P&C operations are called "BMO Bank of Montreal" none of their other operations (BMO Harris, BMO Nesbitt Burns, BMO Insurance) reference the Montreal at all.

pekduck
06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
i still think Roogsy should be the sponsor starting 2017 for TFC..

it'll make a kick ass logo :D

Carts
06-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Like I said in my original post...

PS: Yes, I know they're branded as "BMO" now, just posting some thoughts and fun, not to be taken as gospel, or that I am trying to pick a fight, be a wikepedia page of knowledge or stir the pot, or all the other shit that gets people going on every post (ie the branding of a company or the epl reference)...

Oldtimer
06-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I know this is true for TD Canada Trust. The bank is now TD Bank, dropping the Canada Trust and the TD no longer stands for Toronto Dominon (in favor of nothing). All of this is to aid their southern expansion.

Actually it's TD Canada Trust in Canada, and TD Bank in the US. No kidding, some Americans think that "their" "TD Bank" expanded from the US to open branches "up north" in Canada. They have no idea what "TD" stands for.:D

The US branch network of TD is now bigger than their Canadian network. But their empire is headquartered right here in T-Dot.

BMO has a goal of owning the "soccer sponsorship" market. It's part of their "ethnic" strategy.

tfcleeds
06-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Agreed that two teams with the same shirt sponsor isn't a huge deal, although this would be the first time in MLS that such a thing happened. Heck, there are still clubs without shirt sponsorship deals.

mdc 77
06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
If you don't want the same sponsor as Mtl...How about we get some coin together, buy the club and have no shirt sponsor. :)

Globetrotter
06-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Roughriders, Rough Riders.

We have 3 teams in this country and 2 of them are sharing the same shirt sponsor. Really doesn't matter, but it's still silly.

mdc 77
06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Roughriders, Rough Riders.

We have 3 teams in this country and 2 of them are sharing the same shirt sponsor. Really doesn't matter, but it's still silly.

Those are nicknames, not sponsors.

Its a sponsor people, who cares. I wish we didn't have corporate advertising on our kits.

Tim
06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
^you mean 4 teams? cough** FC Edmonton **cough

flamehawk
06-14-2011, 02:51 PM
If you don't want the same sponsor as Mtl...How about we get some coin together, buy the club and have no shirt sponsor. :)

Agreed. Much rather the jersey be left blank except for a TFC badge on the chest.

dupont
06-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Agreed. Much rather the jersey be left blank except for a TFC badge on the chest.

In soccer, success brings uglier jerseys with sponsors on them. It's a bizarro world for sure.
Look what happened to Philadelphia! They went from having the nicest kits in the league to looking like a huge joke.

A.J
06-14-2011, 08:41 PM
"bimbo"

boban
06-14-2011, 09:08 PM
In soccer, success brings uglier jerseys with sponsors on them. It's a bizarro world for sure.
Look what happened to Philadelphia! They went from having the nicest kits in the league to looking like a huge joke.
Bet you wouldn't mind that joke if you were sitting on top of the conference table.

kodiakTFC
06-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Actually it's TD Canada Trust in Canada, and TD Bank in the US. No kidding, some Americans think that "their" "TD Bank" expanded from the US to open branches "up north" in Canada. They have no idea what "TD" stands for.:D

The US branch network of TD is now bigger than their Canadian network. But their empire is headquartered right here in T-Dot.

BMO has a goal of owning the "soccer sponsorship" market. It's part of their "ethnic" strategy.

Nope. I worked several promotions for TD and we we're told specifically not to say Canada Trust because they're dropping it. Should be gone by 2012.

Oldtimer
06-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Nope. I worked several promotions for TD and we we're told specifically not to say Canada Trust because they're dropping it. Should be gone by 2012.

Not too surprised. Unifies the branding... and Canada Trust was bought out years ago, so there is no longer any equity in the "Canada Trust" brand. Plus, "TD" is always what people call it both in public and in the industry.

Globetrotter
06-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Those are nicknames, not sponsors.

:facepalm: The point was we have very few teams (both soccer and football), yet we see duplicates when there's enough names or sponsors to go around and avoid that.

mdc 77
06-15-2011, 08:35 AM
:facepalm: The point was we have very few teams (both soccer and football), yet we see duplicates when there's enough names or sponsors to go around and avoid that.

I understand that. You missed my point. Sponsors and names are very, very different things, I'd rather not have a sponsor on my clubs jersey.

__wowza
06-15-2011, 08:38 AM
can i just say that i hope they split up the logo?
i either want the word "BMO" or the logo. if they want to give one to us, one to montreal, good. if they want to give both of us the same thing, good. i just can't for the life of me deal with the way the logos framed.

it gets under my skin and eats my soul from the inside out every fucking time i see it. the way the logo rests makes it look way too close to our crest.

Roogsy
06-15-2011, 08:39 AM

So why didn't any other sponsors step up?

SilverSamurai
06-15-2011, 08:52 AM

Funny about about the TD stuff, but it's ScotiaBank that's really making "push" internationally. And by that I mean beyond the continent. They called me for an interview because I'm bilingual last year, but during the interview process I realized I'd go insane in a bank. lol

To most Canadian businesses, international means setting up shop in the US and calling it a day.

kodiakTFC
06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Not too surprised. Unifies the branding... and Canada Trust was bought out years ago, so there is no longer any equity in the "Canada Trust" brand. Plus, "TD" is always what people call it both in public and in the industry.

Yeah your right. It's normal practice when buying out a company to keep its brand in order to keep customer loyalty, then when the time is right and the customers are more comfortable you may drop it.

Shakes McQueen
06-17-2011, 05:27 AM

It's advertising, not naming. It's all about what company offers them the best deal, not about whether there are other companies available.

I dont really care about it. Good on BMO for supporting more Canadian soccer. If another corporation wanted to step up and get the naming rights, then they should have.

- Scott

deltox
06-17-2011, 06:38 AM
arnt there other major sponsors of the CSA that could sponsor a club team?

kodiakTFC
06-17-2011, 07:19 AM
arnt there other major sponsors of the CSA that could sponsor a club team?

Heres hoping Nutella sponsors TFC next.

Oldtimer
06-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Yeah your right. It's normal practice when buying out a company to keep its brand in order to keep customer loyalty, then when the time is right and the customers are more comfortable you may drop it.

Yep.

For example, when baking soda makers Dwight and Church were bought by Arm and Hammer:

http://www.goldtop.org/milk/lib/cows/bakingsoda.jpg

became this:

http://www.courtneyswholesale.com/images/items/large/310193.jpg

They have the "Cow Brand" words and a little picture, but are in the process of replacing it with the Arm and Hammer brand.