PDA

View Full Version : Pre game: 15 June, TFC @New England 8pm

Yohan
06-12-2011, 04:45 PM
After a morale boosting draw at LA, can TFC get another result at New England?

levyashin
06-12-2011, 07:05 PM
new england are a team that can be beat,can we do it ?i will take a tie .

denime
06-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Now our depth will be tested seriously,I expect more academy kids on the bench for next 2 games.

ArmenJBX
06-12-2011, 07:14 PM
This needs to be a win. Anything less is failure.

Pachuco
06-12-2011, 09:43 PM
No hope for this game at all. We've never followed up a decent performance with another decent performance. Wish I could be more positive, this team hasn't given me a reason to be.

A.J
06-13-2011, 01:17 AM
I'd be happy with a tie to be honest. But I expect a win on the saturday home game.

CSO_BBTB
06-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Anything obtained with the probable centre back pairings right now is a pleasant surprise. Henry looked the part most of the time against the Galaxy. If he plays again hopefully the Revs didn't spot a weakness that can be exploited. If Gordon and Santos can be used through the middle again up front and in the attacking midfield role good things can definitely happen in goalscoring terms. Yourassowsky, Sturgis and Plata seemed the right fit in their roles in the second half and the fullback positions are no brainers at the moment given Yourassowky is needed in midfield so the main question mark for me is who plays on the right in the front three. Not at all sold on Soolsma. Not a disaster by any means but far from stellar. Have to wonder what Stevanovic has done to put himself out of the picture but from the outside looking in you basically have to trust Aron Winter knows what he is doing on that.

colman1860
06-13-2011, 02:11 AM
I don't think Henry looked the part at all against LA - he was out of position for the first goal, and his "clearance" before the second went straight to Angel's right foot!

I don't expect anything from this game, but I'd love to be proven wrong!

TFCin110
06-13-2011, 07:47 AM
No hope for this game at all. We've never followed up a decent performance with another decent performance. Wish I could be more positive, this team hasn't given me a reason to be.

I have to agree here. TFC has battled consistency since their beginning. My heart say tie, but my head says loss. We just don't have that killer instinct yet.

Yohan
06-13-2011, 07:51 AM
another draw, but only if the Commish plays :D

ManUtd4ever
06-13-2011, 07:53 AM
I predict a draw, as New England is not a particularly strong opponent. I'm more concerned with Seattle on the weekend.

Yohan
06-13-2011, 07:58 AM
I predict a draw, as New England is not a particularly strong opponent. I'm more concerned with Seattle on the weekend.
Never underestimate a Steve Nicol team. The Revs played well enough to draw at NY away last week IMO. Been unlucky with Feilhaber and now Ousmane Dabo both out with injuries

Fort York Redcoat
06-13-2011, 08:04 AM
I want to see something. Build something. Gel. This opponent isn't a Goliath. We need points and could get them here.

maninb
06-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Does anybody even know what's the status of Stevanovic????

Torontotonto
06-13-2011, 08:13 AM
:drum:

There's always a first time for everything.

Come on you Reds...

:drum::flare::scarf::flare:

Auzzy
06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Anything obtained with the probable centre back pairings right now is a pleasant surprise. Henry looked the part most of the time against the Galaxy. If he plays again hopefully the Revs didn't spot a weakness that can be exploited. If Gordon and Santos can be used through the middle again up front and in the attacking midfield role good things can definitely happen in goalscoring terms. Yourassowsky, Sturgis and Plata seemed the right fit in their roles in the second half and the fullback positions are no brainers at the moment given Yourassowky is needed in midfield so the main question mark for me is who plays on the right in the front three. Not at all sold on Soolsma. Not a disaster by any means but far from stellar. Have to wonder what Stevanovic has done to put himself out of the picture but from the outside looking in you basically have to trust Aron Winter knows what he is doing on that.

Stevanovic is injured.

CSO_BBTB
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Noticed him listed subsequently in the injuries thread. Didn't remember him being mentioned that way in Winter's last pregame interview clip before the Galaxy game but maybe that's down to the way the media fixates over Nana Attakora because he's from Toronto.

Derko
06-13-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't think Henry looked the part at all against LA - he was out of position for the first goal, and his "clearance" before the second went straight to Angel's right foot!

I don't expect anything from this game, but I'd love to be proven wrong!

You are too hard on the kid, the breakdown on the first goal came after Angel brought the ball back into play from outside the touchline, Angel should have been tackled at that moment, and it was Boorman who was to far to the centre,Birchall was wide open!! However Henry is still a bit raw, but saying he did not look the part at all is a bit harsh, imo

Joe Kool
06-13-2011, 09:13 AM
I thought Sturgis had a pretty decent game against LA and hopefully he can keep it up so it shows that we don't need to spend JDG money to get decent play at that position. We can invest it somewhere more needed next year hopefully. I don't think they missed JDG in that position at all on Saturday and JDG looked totally out of place in Canada's game too.

Even though Henry showed some inexperience a little bit on the last game I think he also added some energy that we don't usually get from the CB's so that was nice. Experience will make him better.

I think we can pull out a win on Wednesday but then again I am always the optimistic type.

Dave67
06-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Quick look at the single table http://www.settingthetable.info/home/ and this is a game we don't want to lose. A tie won't be horrible and a win would be an unexpected surprise.

Fate made Winter put out Gordon against LA. I'm hoping Gordon is strong enough to play 70+ minutes and Winter is confident enough in Gordon's recovery to give him a go. I do wonder if the artificial turf will make Winter hold Gordon back for another game.

Also hope Santos keeps a shoot from anywhere mentality.

I'd like to see more of a mix up in Frei's distribution. I understand that the new back line made them switch to the boot it upfield mentality on goal kicks. Surely a good mixture of boot it upfield and build up from the back would be the best?

DangerRed
06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Road game. Means we're either losing or drawing. A win would be a huge shocker.

PopePouri
06-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Given that NE has no idea about the location of the opposition's goal, I predict nil-nil.

Auzzy
06-13-2011, 11:17 AM
^ People were saying that about Philly, before they visited TFC...

__wowza
06-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Also hope Santos keeps a shoot from anywhere mentality.

i've always said this about santos, but i believe my exact words to be something more like "that man is so fucking bralizian!"

he's got a great boot on him and an amazing range, look at the number of goals he's scored from distance. personally, i don't think it fits with our style at the moment. our style is more in tune with gordon whose the quintessential target man. he can score with his head, he can score with his feet, he can poach it if need be.

i'd love to see santos in more of an AM role if, and that's a big if, he can distribute and aid in the attack, but he can't. he's not even at the age where this can be experimented on (as seen by the 2-3 game stretch where winter tried). personally, i miss the barrett/santos partnership, but we've got a good thing right now.

if, and again that's a big if, we go up by a goal, having the ability to take gordon off and still having a forward who can still create a reasonable threat from distance without committing to a full attack is fantastic.

Dave67
06-13-2011, 12:02 PM
^
I agree. Also mentally Santos fades in and out of the game too often to be an AM. He should just hang around up front and go with 2 main options, shoot or pass to Plata.

CoachGT
06-13-2011, 12:59 PM
...it was Boorman who was to far to the centre,Birchall was wide open!!

Which begs the question, why was Borman out of position? Covering up for someone else who was out of position! Henry played alright, but he was integral to both LA goals. Not being hard on the kid, but he's got to know that too.

I trust his teammates and coaches will make him aware of this. As long as he learns from it, he'll be okay.

I kind of hope Gordon comes on as a sub at halftime, along with Plata. Plata instilled a little energy on the attack (once he finished his little skirmish with Barrett) and was a positive influence in the midfield.

Stouffville_RPB
06-13-2011, 01:44 PM
I said that TFC would get something on the weekend in LA but I think that TFC's history on the road combined with the travel from Toronto to LA to Boston in 5 days will be too much for them.

Derko
06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Which begs the question, why was Borman out of position? Covering up for someone else who was out of position! Henry played alright, but he was integral to both LA goals. Not being hard on the kid, but he's got to know that too.

I trust his teammates and coaches will make him aware of this. As long as he learns from it, he'll be okay.

I kind of hope Gordon comes on as a sub at halftime, along with Plata. Plata instilled a little energy on the attack (once he finished his little skirmish with Barrett) and was a positive influence in the midfield.

Good points!

v00d00daddy
06-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Great points but I think we also have to give some blame to Eckersley on the first goal. He didn't react but instead watched as the play on the line passed him by.

It was an all around breakdown. Minimise those mistakes and we'll be okay

Auzzy
06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Harden & Borman were the only two Toronto players back, vs Angel & Barrett. I think Borman covered the more dangerous option by helping to defend vs those two central players. Leaving Harden in a 2-1 situation in the middle would have been suicide for sure.

Birchall (who scored the 1st goal) is a midfielder who came up the right from further back. Where was Toronto's midfield on that side? Just to spread the blame a little further: Tchani came jogging back, but only stared at the ball & ran in that direction, where there were already a couple of Toronto players. Had he looked around, he would have seen Birchall coming full speed on the other side. And had Tchani sprinted (not jogged) in that direction, he might not have made it in time either -- but perhaps close enough to pressure Birchall to screw up. Plus, if Angel & Barrett had seen another Toronto player heading in that direction, they might not have decided to switch the play to that side. Instead, Angel might have passed to Barrett, who is not going to score 9 out of 10 times.

Even on defence, too many guys watch the ball instead of watching all around. Also, on the 2nd goal by Angel, there were a couple of TFC players (Yourassowsky, Borman) standing around watching rather than covering the totally open LA players at the top of the box -- the most likely spot for a pass-back or a 2nd-chance goal off a rebound. I think it is especially the responsibility of TFC players that are a bit farther back, and are coming back to help on D, to look around (not just stare at the ball), get a good overview of the situation, and see where they are needed most.

CoachGT
06-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Great points but I think we also have to give some blame to Eckersley on the first goal. He didn't react but instead watched as the play on the line passed him by.

It was an all around breakdown. Minimise those mistakes and we'll be okay

I think he was still suffering a brain fart (as was the rest of the line) over the anthem singers. When the camera panned over him, he was trying to hold back a smile.

Given time (and experience) the back line should be okay - we're still pretty young back there, as we are at a few positions. Wouldn't mind seeing Omphroy get a kick at a spot though.

Whoop
06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Could be a big conflict if Boston wins tonight.

Auzzy
06-13-2011, 10:27 PM
^ Wow, you're so right. Game 7 in Vancouver 8pm Eastern on Wednesday, exact same time as TFC @ the Revs. What a joke. I bet TSN is kicking themselves for picking up that game, of all the available options. There's gonna be more bodies on the field than in the stands in Foxborough.

Now how the heck am I going to watch the TFC game? TSN blocks MLS MatchDay Live streams, I don't have cable, and is any pub going to show TFC with hockey Game 7 on? Maybe the Duke or something? I wouldn't mind watching both at the same time...

Whoop
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
There will be people at Foxboro.

But yeah, good luck finding a bar that will prioritize the TFC match over Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

Auzzy
06-13-2011, 10:31 PM
^ Who, TFC fans making the trip maybe... :D

Hopefully the Revs players will be somewhat distracted...

CSO_BBTB
06-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Now how the heck am I going to watch the TFC game? TSN blocks MLS MatchDay Live streams,...

Bet365.com have it listed as one of their future livestreams. You have to start an account to gain free access to their webstreams but once that one-off transaction has been made the streams are completely free and they are much better quality than the justin.tv ones.

Auzzy
06-13-2011, 11:36 PM
^Thanks for the tip!

ensco
06-14-2011, 06:58 AM
What's the over/under on fannies in the seats tomorrow night? 500?

Oldtimer
06-14-2011, 07:41 AM
One plus is that Mariner totally knows Nichol's strategies.

kodiakTFC
06-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Guess the Attendance game!

__wowza
06-14-2011, 08:23 AM

i'd like to say 5,000 or less.

shaggingscot
06-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Over 10k. Soccer mums hate violence, don't want their precious babies watching hockey so they'll be at the game.

Wull
06-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Anyone know if there'll be a bar showing both games? I'll be in a mixed crowd that night

JuliquE
06-14-2011, 09:56 AM
What was the last guess, Bob?

Alright.. I'll say 5,001 in attendance. :D

TFC07
06-14-2011, 12:04 PM
1000 at most, but they announce like 5000 at minimum.

Like seriously, how can you not watch your local team having a chance of winning the cup? Stanley Cup game 7 final > MLS regular season

Derko
06-14-2011, 12:48 PM
^ Absolutley, but I'll be watching TFC.

brad
06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Steva back in training according to Wileman.

Walms
06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
If we show the Heart that we had in the last 3 min on saturday, we should take this one. Im hoping to see Cordon play this match and Henry has a great game agiesnt LA (were starting to see the Acadamy talent breaking threw in Winters system)

CSO_BBTB
06-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Steva back in training according to Wileman.

Hopefully we finally start seeing something good from him given the money his loan deal is probably costing against the cap and/or in allocation money and given the way Soolsma and Martina haven't impressed too much either so far. A front three of Plata, Gordon and Stevanovic might be reasonably OK for the remainder of this season especially if an Amado Guevara type attacking midfielder could be signed during the upcoming transfer window with Santos providing an option for games where having a target man striker isn't working out.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-15-2011, 06:27 AM
ive been more impressed with Soolsma than i have with Stevanovic, at least Soolsmas making the runs and getting crosses in, havent seen that much from Steva

ManUtd4ever
06-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Stevanovic has been an enigma. In his first start against San Jose, he was the best player on the pitch, but he has since regressed into a marginal roster player. As the second highest paid player on the club, I hope he can regain the form he displayed earlier this season.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Stevanovic has been an enigma. In his first start against San Jose, he was the best player on the pitch, but he has since regressed into a marginal roster player. As the second highest paid player on the club, I hope he can regain the form he displayed earlier this season.

agreed

Technorgasm
06-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Anyone know if there'll be a bar showing both games? I'll be in a mixed crowd that night

I dont want Vancouver to win the cup.
but I want TFC to beat NER. .

so GO Boston! wait. . no. . BOO Boston!. .. . its a paradox I tell ya.

wonder what version of TFC will show up tonight.
Im saying we will WIN. . . yep. . 3 vital road points for TFC.

PS. thanks Chi-fire!

Wull
06-15-2011, 08:41 AM
I dont want Vancouver to win the cup.
but I want TFC to beat NER. .

so GO Boston! wait. . no. . BOO Boston!. .. . its a paradox I tell ya.

wonder what version of TFC will show up tonight.
Im saying we will WIN. . . yep. . 3 vital road points for TFC.

PS. thanks Chi-fire!

I'm the same, I hate all things boston so I've convinced myself I'm not cheering for them, I'm just cheering against vancoooooover. For anyone interested, Football Factory is showing both games

CoachGT
06-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Sgt Peppers in Aurora is showing both.

__wowza
06-15-2011, 08:59 AM
i'd like to say 5,000 or less.

What was the last guess, Bob?
Alright.. I'll say 5,001 in attendance. :D

ohhhhhhhhhhh.. you can S a D my friend.

__wowza
06-15-2011, 09:00 AM
also..

GO GO
BLACK
AND
GOLD!!

i'll stop talking about hockey in this thread now..

stugautz
06-15-2011, 11:47 AM

They'll be lucky to crack 3000. And that's combined with TV viewers.

Juanito
06-15-2011, 11:52 AM
I heard that both clubs thave asked for this match to be changes but MLS wants none of it. Would it KILL THEM to move it to Thursday?

rocker
06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
good, so no home advantage from the crowd ;) not that NE really had any......

Carts
06-15-2011, 11:57 AM
I heard that both clubs thave asked for this match to be changes but MLS wants none of it. Would it KILL THEM to move it to Thursday?

That's brutal...

In reality, it should be the league wanting the match moved...

Its gonna look great for the MLS to have a crowd of 1500-4000 people (announced!) and a TV audience that will rival the shopping channel at 4am when Dr.Ho is selling that weight loss stuff that makes you shit out your beer belly...

Wow! :facepalm:

Carts...

flatpicker
06-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Certainly not an unrealistic request, considering the conflict with the Cup.
Don't see the big deal in delaying it a day or two.

I love my TFC, but I'm pretty sure I will be spending more time on the Cup final.
Not because I have any particular love for Boston or Vancouver,
But we are talking about game 7 of the Stanley Cup... that's exciting tv!
Not sure if watching the Reds would have quite the same level of drama and entertainment.

Auzzy
06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm the same, I hate all things boston so I've convinced myself I'm not cheering for them, I'm just cheering against vancoooooover. For anyone interested, Football Factory is showing both games

Thanks for the tip. I wonder how full the Football Factory gets on a day like today -- i.e., how early does one need to be there to get in?

Wull
06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the tip. I wonder how full the Football Factory gets on a day like today -- i.e., how early does one need to be there to get in?

I called and booked a booth. The front bit will be TFC designated the guy said

Carts
06-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Rene Rancourt is singing the National Anthem at tonight's game...

For those who don't know - he is the anthem singer for the Boston Bruins...

Something tells me the atmosphere tonight won't quite match when he last sung the anthem on Monday before Game-6...

Carts...

TFCwestcan
06-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Something tells me the atmosphere tonight won't quite match when he last sung the anthem on Monday before Game-6...

Carts...

I was really hoping for the tin ear chicks from the LA game.

mclaren
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Do football fans in New England really care about hockey? I doubt it, I wonder how many of them know what the Stanley Cup even is.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.fromsportcom.com/....... LINK FOR THE GAME!

Fishnicker
06-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I was really hoping for the tin ear chicks from the LA game.

T-Rio!

If they do the anthems tonight they should do more pointing and hip swiveling to make it even classier than LA.

You know you want more
OEiAVatuPKE

Maltese Falcon
06-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Carts...
That guy looks like a pedophile

LesH
06-15-2011, 06:45 PM
As always, I'm looking for a stream, so if one of you guys find something useful, please share.

No streams from inside bookmakers, because USA residents are banned from all European bookies.
On justintv, neither "cholillo_830" or "dysreflex" - guys who usually have the TFC streams, doesn't seem to have it today.

Thanks in advance!

:scarf:

Auzzy
06-15-2011, 06:54 PM
This place is pretending like it will have it:
http://www.stopstream.tv/ch2.html

(linked from myp2p & http://www.fromsportcom.com/c-1.html) but it doesn't look like it...

J .
06-15-2011, 07:02 PM

(linked from myp2p & http://www.fromsportcom.com/c-1.html) but it doesn't look like it...

its live now

tfcleeds
06-15-2011, 07:02 PM
^Yep, that stream is working now.

boozilla
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM

It's on..

thanks

Auzzy
06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Yup, good stuff. Anybody know how to kill the annoying video ad playing on the right though?

LesH

Great, thanks man!

swan
why is it never the toronto feed for mls live getting sick of watching the other teams feeds..

Auzzy
06-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Never mind, I refreshed & got a different ad on the right.

J .
06-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Game thread : http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28463

GBV
06-15-2011, 07:44 PM
crowd just applauded ... meaning the bruins scored.

Rhapido
06-15-2011, 08:25 PM
5 of us viewing this thread...LOL!