View Full Version : Post game-TFC @ LA Galaxy

denime
06-12-2011, 07:12 AM
TFC PULL OFF SHOCKER VS FC HOLLYWOOD

Is this a breaking point of the season?

I hope it is.

deltox
06-12-2011, 07:19 AM
just watching the game again......was that Dan Dunleavy calling the game? he sounded great.
He was sarcastic when he needed to be and had insight.

Good Job!

Carts
06-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Sometimes a tie feels like a loss - Sometimes a tie feels like a win...

This one definitely feels like a win...

Carts...

deltox
06-12-2011, 07:47 AM
^ Obviously agree!

That Alan Gordon is pretty key to this team!

J .
06-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Perhaps one of the better away performances Ive seen from the Reds. The first 20 minutes were painful, but the rest of the game was one of the first time Ive seen any signs of progress.

I really really hope Gordon is for real. Those two goals were real efforts combing power and the sublime. A joy to watch. Got me out of my recliner fist pumping thats for sure.

London
06-12-2011, 08:36 AM
lets hope gordon can stay healthy, given full playing time this guy is realy showing that he can play in this league.

torontocelt
06-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Alan Gordon is a right handful, well done to TFC for a hard fought draw.

Pookie
06-12-2011, 09:05 AM
The entire "attacking" group deserves applause for their effort.

It was one of a handful of times that you can recall players going forward and creating options.

West220Side
06-12-2011, 09:10 AM
http://bighugelabs.com/output/motivator93c3b8b8c3315356b87633823c6a6f385ac285d6. jpg

drexel10
just watching the game again......was that Dan Dunleavy calling the game? he sounded great.

Good Job!

I have no clue who it was, but I did catch myself saying "wow this guy is a very good commentator."

koryo

Good Job!

Agreed. Dunleavy did a fantastic job.

The team looked like they had some fight in them last night. Alan Gordon reminds me of Darcy Tucker. We need nine more of him.

Overall really impressed with how they battled last night. That's what they need to do game in, game out.

ensco
06-12-2011, 09:17 AM
It's amazing. Gordon's rep in LA was that he was an all-hustle, no talent type. Barrett but slower.

But the guy is showing fantastic skill here. Perfect timing on headers. That volley, omg. Where is this coming from?

ArmenJBX
06-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Players like Alan Gordon shine as focal points and not just supporting cast, think Zlatan at inter and then at Barcelona.

loconet
06-12-2011, 09:22 AM
First time this season I've seen the team pay with some heart. I liked it.

ManUtd4ever
06-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Last night was the first time this season that TFC abandoned the predictable, mind numbing, build up from the backline. Frei played the ball upfield consistently and TFC did a good job pressuring the LA midfield to cause turnovers.

Based on TFC's level of skill in the defensive third of the pitch, I believe Winter should adhere to this strategy from this point forward. It is far more effective and condusive to the skillset of our current roster.

BFin
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
But Who's Going To Score The Goals Without Dero?!?!?

Pachuco
06-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Good game from the team last night. Rescued a point under some tough circumstances.

Player of the game goes to Peterson for me. If he stays on the field, we don't come close to tying this game.

Now is it valid to ask what could have been if Gordon never gets injured? This guy plays with heart, and most importantly like a leader. You can tell he believes he can win every game he plays. That kind of stuff is infexious. If he can stay healthy, that's really the kind of guy being your captain.

Azerban
06-12-2011, 09:32 AM
someone tell me you have a youtube of the anthems last night thanks

ManUtd4ever
06-12-2011, 09:35 AM
But Who's Going To Score The Goals Without Dero?!?!?

LOL, instigator!

DeRo's production over the last two seasons was phenomenal, but Santos and Gordon have demonstrated that they can collectively fill the void since his departure.

TFC is still sorely lacking a creative presence in the attacking midfield position though.

v00d00daddy
06-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Last night was the first time this season that TFC abandoned the predictable, mind numbing, build up from the backline. Frei played the ball upfield consistently and TFC did a good job pressuring the LA midfield to cause turnovers.

Based on TFC's level of skill in the defensive third of the pitch, I believe Winter should adhere to this strategy from this point forward. It is far more effective and condusive to the skillset of our current roster.

I disagree. That approach is just as predictable and even easier to defend if your opponent knows it's coming.

They need to be able to play both and employ both when appropriate.

Add to this that Frei is pretty bad at distributing the ball and you have a recipe for failure. He was nowhere near consistent distributing the ball last night. Flubbed quite a few balls.

I loved the result last night but now is not the time to abandon what they're trying to get going at TFC.

I think they're tryin to build a team that can grow into a playing style that dictates the pace and flow of the game.

Long ball is the opposite of that.

It's good to use here and there but it's quite literally the worst tactic in football for a team to use if they're trying to get better. It has a very low ceiling when it comes to success. It should be used sparingly in my opinion.

Last night was a good example of using both tactics. Once they start scoring from both possession and route one they'll be really hard to defend.

SirBobSaget
06-12-2011, 09:43 AM
It's amazing. Gordon's rep in LA was that he was an all-hustle, no talent type. Barrett but slower.

But the guy is showing fantastic skill here. Perfect timing on headers. That volley, omg. Where is this coming from?

Another key play was his running down Beckham deep into TFC end and making a clean hard slide tackle. Seemed to have lifted the team.

SirBobSaget
06-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Agreed. Dunleavy did a fantastic job.

The best comment was after the Beckham elbow on Borman, the ref wrote something down in his notebook and Dunleavy wondered (something like) "what's he doing? making a note to pick up milk on the way home?"

A whole lot more entertaining then listening to Dobson rant to himself about how Borjan is maybe/maybe not cap tied but then if hes not then he will be because he wants to play for Canada and Canada shouldnt worry, but then what if Serbia argued the validity? ....

canadian_bhoy
06-12-2011, 09:45 AM
As many have been saying - TFC were missing a target man. With Gordon in up front, we have that (as long as he's healthy).

ManUtd4ever
06-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I disagree. That approach is just as predictable and even easier to defend if your opponent knows it's coming.

They need to be able to play both and employ both when appropriate.

Add to this that Frei is pretty bad at distributing the ball and you have a recipe for failure.

I loved the result last night but now is not the time to abandon what they're trying to get going at TFC.

I think they're tryin to build a team that can grow into a playing style that dictates the pace and flow of the game.

Long ball is the opposite of that.

It's good to use here and there but it's quite literally the worst tactic in football for a team to use if they're trying to get better. It has a very low ceiling when it comes to success. It should be used sparingly in my opinion.

Last night was a good example of using both tactics. Once they start scoring from both possession and route one they'll be really hard to defend.

You misunderstood my post. I don't disagree with you in principle, but the fact of the matter is that a more direct approach will serve the club well until TFC has the right personnel to employ a strict possession based approach. Long term, I agree with your philosophy. In the interim, this club still has to earn some results on the pitch.

Gazza
06-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Perhaps one of the better away performances Ive seen from the Reds. The first 20 minutes were painful, but the rest of the game was one of the first time Ive seen any signs of progress.

I really really hope Gordon is for real. Those two goals were real efforts combing power and the sublime. A joy to watch. Got me out of my recliner fist pumping thats for sure.

Gordon is a difference maker every time he plays. I believe he is for real. He's just finally being given a chance to prove his worth with TFC.

I think it's just a matter of him staying healthy (knock on wood).

And Dan Dunleavy did a great job. I was surprised by how much i enjoyed his commentary.

Gazza
06-12-2011, 09:51 AM
http://bighugelabs.com/output/motivator93c3b8b8c3315356b87633823c6a6f385ac285d6. jpg

Well done...well done.

liv4evr
06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
The thing with Gordon or "the commissioner" as my buddies and I call him, is that he never stops moving. the 2nd goal was perfect example of that. He makes a play then gets to a spot the ball may go and is ready to make a follow up play. too often our boys make a pass, or take a shot and they stop. They need to run to the open space, anticipate the ball's arrival. His staying healthy is pivotal going forward if we're to get anything out of this season.

ryan
06-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Take the armband and give it to Gordon.

dupont
06-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Frei is just amazing. Some great saves to keep us in it and then the best reaction to a goal I've ever seen!
Just great. He's definitely my favourite player.

cochrdoc
06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
When Gordan came into the game he had an impact right away.Being down a goal didn`t seem to matter and it looked like we could come back and when he tied it ,it looked like we could win the game.WE have not had this fight in us before.I thought seversl players played well .It is time to forget Dero and support this team.We haven`t had a comeback like this in awhile evan if it was a tie

A.J
06-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Now the question is "How many players are injured?"

TFCin110
06-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Last night was all about character. Championship teams have that never say die mentality, they respond positively to adversity. For TFC to become a top level side, even when they get top quality players, they need to have that winning mentality.

QSIM
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Character game. Look at the squad we put out - all players who are hard (for the most part). More of an "MLS" roster, if you catch my drift. We also converted to a 4-4-2 after injuries. With the personnel we currently have, this is the best way to achieve results in this league.

rocktml
06-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Call me crazy but, as soon as i saw the look on the players faces during the anthems i felt they would come away with something from the game! I just knew it! Gut feeling kinda thing!

CoachGT
06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Funny watching the faces today. Eckerley trying to suppress a smile! That was about the worst anthem singing I've ever heard for O Canada! What the hell was she singing when she started - O Can-a-duhhhhhhhh!

Poor start, made worse by the Beckham Wreck-em train wreck! How that wasn't a straight red is amazing - if it was Hassli he'd have been out immediately! The man does a diatribe against refs and against reckless tackles earlier in the season and then he does that!

Gotta give props to Gordon and Frei. Despite everything that happened, there were not a lot of passengers in this game. We're not good enough at CB. But we've got enough to play elsewhere on the pitch, even though we may not be deep.

A draw was a fair result in a hard fought game!

Pookie
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Character game. Look at the squad we put out - all players who are hard (for the most part). More of an "MLS" roster, if you catch my drift. We also converted to a 4-4-2 after injuries. With the personnel we currently have, this is the best way to achieve results in this league.

I don't think it is as simple as 4-4-2. The team that pushed in the second half was not playing like a traditional 4-4-2 you see in the MLS. I am sure there would be some argument as to whether they really did adopt that shape.

The difference was that our midfield (and 2 from the backline) joined the attack and made quality runs. Others dropped in and covered if a teammate made a run.

While this tactic left us exposed on the first goal, the players adjusted and became more comfortable as the game progressed. Linkages within the shape were very evident and encouraging to see.

ArmenJBX
06-12-2011, 11:30 AM
The formation change was almost a 4-2-2-1-1, defensive line, Sturgis and Yourassowsky in midfield, Plata and Soolsma on layer ahead, Maicon ahead of those two wingers, and Gordon playing in front of Maicon.

Alan Gordon also slipped back a lot to help in the midfield, so perhaps a 4-2-3-1 is more appropriate

profit89
06-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Great performance

TFCwestcan
06-12-2011, 11:46 AM
someone tell me you have a youtube of the anthems last night thanks

I particularly liked when they got into the Cdn anthem by pointing there fingers at key moments, very stirring!

TFCwestcan
06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Gordon is a difference maker every time he plays. I believe he is for real. He's just finally being given a chance to prove his worth with TFC.

I think it's just a matter of him staying healthy (knock on wood).

And Dan Dunleavy did a great job. I was surprised by how much i enjoyed his commentary.

One thing that I found refreshing is that Dunleavy varies his commentary, unlike Wileman who seems to have his book of stock phrases he repeats. When the Gol broadcasts begin this year with only a single commentator and no colour man, I thought the broadcasts seemed one dimensional, with Dunleavy I was not missing the colour man...Hope he is around more.

Dkolish3
06-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Is it just me or during the first ten seconds of Aron Winter's post-game interview was he staring at the girls breasts

TorontoGooner
06-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Is it just me or during the first ten seconds of Aron Winter's post-game interview was he staring at the girls breasts

I noticed that! Can't blame him really!

Carts
06-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Just re-watched - nothing I can say/saw isn't anything anyone else did or posted...

Frei - clutch. And a competitor (you saw it in the tying goal reax).

Comeback - showed heart, pride & fight. When you're a team that is 'out-talented' on the pitch you need this every game, out-work the opponent and never quit.

Santos - his left foot is class. He needs a second or two to load it, but if he gets that time, legit goal threat from distance.

Gordon - total warrior. Hope he's not hurt (seemed to limp a bit after the goal)

Yourrasousky (sp?) - unless there's more to the knocks he takes out there that we don't see on TV, I'm getting a sick of the rolling around like he's been shot.

Sometimes games like this can turn a season around, or at least start a run of confident play and results - let's hope this does that...

Great job stealing a point in LA...
Carts...

denime
06-12-2011, 12:19 PM
As many have been saying - TFC were missing a target man. With Gordon in up front, we have that (as long as he's healthy).

THIS,

Target man is a big peace in any 4-3-3 (4-2-1-3 or 4-1-2-3) formation,and that was so obvius in last few weeks.
Now,lets hope he stay healthy for the rest of the season.

Carts
06-12-2011, 12:45 PM
THIS,

Target man is a big peace in any 4-3-3 (4-2-1-3 or 4-1-2-3) formation,and that was so obvius in last few weeks.

Absolutely agree...

Even if you're not playing in these systems or formations, a solid target man on the pitch changes the game in your favour throughout the match...

Carts...

GuelphStorm2007
06-12-2011, 01:00 PM
This was the best TFC game I have seen in a long time, and for sure maybe the best Road effort this year. They created chances the overall team play was super. To be honest I turned it off right when L.A. made 2-1. Only to find out that they tied it later. My MOM is Gordon of course, Honorourable mentions go to Santos, and Frie.

Roogsy
06-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Absolutely agree.

billyfly
06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I was in a bad mood last night after the Jays and when I saw 2-1 in extra time in the 90th.

What a surprise when I woke up this morning.

canadian_bhoy
06-12-2011, 02:57 PM
THIS,

Despite everyone's constant bashin of the club and cries to punt all our players, especially the bigger name/easier target ones - this season has actually been pretty simple. When gordon plays, we do well when he's out, we're one dimensional and flat.

Target man is huge. Gordon stats healthy or we get another target man, along with plata running at guys. After that we need a couple of defenders and this is easily a playoff worthy team.

But optimism doesn't really go over well on the board. Much easier to throw the team under the bus and claim we deserve so much more for our world class support.

denime
06-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Despite everyone's constant bashin of the club and cries to punt all our players, especially the bigger name/easier target ones - this season has actually been pretty simple. When gordon plays, we do well when he's out, we're one dimensional and flat.

Target man is huge. Gordon stats healthy or we get another target man, along with plata running at guys. After that we need a couple of defenders and this is easily a playoff worthy team.

But optimism doesn't really go over well on the board. Much easier to throw the team under the bus and claim we deserve so much more for our world class support.

Agree,without Gordon we look one dimensional.

And yes our world class support 15 minutes before the last game.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=436&pictureid=2778

is really class for itself.

Klinsmann
06-12-2011, 03:48 PM

I think he was too!

Dkolish3
06-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I think he was too!

that's a great avatar:D :yum:

deltox
06-12-2011, 03:54 PM
i can see myself and my wife in section 110. can i be excused from your wrath now?

Yohan
06-12-2011, 04:05 PM
The thing with Gordon or "the commissioner" as my buddies and I call him,
Alan 'the Commissioner' Gordon. Someone two stick this!

We all want a team of Alan Gs...

rocktml
06-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Pathetic.........Give your head a shake guys.

jloome
06-12-2011, 05:10 PM

LA changed his role to that of target distributor. At portland before that, he had 17 or 18 goals in a season once.

bgnewf
06-12-2011, 07:21 PM
The Alan Gordon Show

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/06/the-alan-gordon-show/

My post game video blog celebrating the two goal return of Toronto FC striker Alan Gordon and the precious away point salvaged in injury time in Los Angeles.

bertal
06-12-2011, 07:54 PM
what a sweet volley. santos should keep shooting from range, if he has space of course!

DOMIN8R
06-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Anyone know the status of Tchani or Peterson? How bad are the injuries?

CSO_BBTB
06-12-2011, 08:36 PM

Always seems to me that the TFC support has a tendency to believe their own press clippings, which are driven to a certain extent by marketing hype. An example of real world class support from Belgrade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k9PtDGZPVg

If an atmosphere like that could be generated during each pregame warmup at the 111/112 corner I suspect there would be fewer early goals conceded in home games.

denime
06-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Always seems to me that the TFC support has a tendency to believe their own press clippings, which are driven to a certain extent by marketing hype. An example of real world class support from Belgrade:

If an atmosphere like that could be generated during each pregame warmup at the 111/112 corner I suspect there would be fewer early goals conceded in home games.

This is why we are asking all TFC Supporters/fans to be in their seats 30 minutes before game start.

:drum:SATURDAY,JUNE 18. 6:30PM; BE IN YOUR SEAT !!:drum:

http://redpatchboys.ca/images/homepageBanners/July18.jpg

Yohan
06-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Gordon has what, 4 goals in 6 appearances? Crazy strike rate!

Whoop
06-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Only Davies has a better strike rate so far.

Wingback6
06-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Gordon has what, 4 goals in 6 appearances? Crazy strike rate!

Fo sho... sure is looking like a great transfer decision by the brain trust... (I don't think LaBrocca would have banged in 4 by now.) And smart transfers are the difference between the best... and the rest.

CSO_BBTB
06-12-2011, 10:27 PM
This is why we are asking all TFC Supporters/fans to be in their seats 30 minutes before game start.

:drum:SATURDAY,JUNE 18. 6:30PM; BE IN YOUR SEAT !!:drum:

http://redpatchboys.ca/images/homepageBanners/July18.jpg

Once that's achieved the next step towards complete world domination will be for Winter and Mariner to find a Prosinecki type DP signing to bounce the ball into the net off his teammates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhUiDBJ57Ys

:flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare:

habstfc
06-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Great game, great goals by gordon, things are looking up hopefully. N.E. is next and luckily they are playing horribly of late, lost 4 in a row I believe.

I watched the game on the web and had the Prime ticket feed. Typical american style announcers but at least they acknowleged that ball was out of touch leading up to the first L.A. goal. They mentioned a couple of things about TFC I thought were interesting. One of the announcers said even though were empty seats when he was at bmo earlier this year he thought they would always have great support and that the fans of toronto loved the game and were soccer savy. He also mentioned that Alan Gordon said playing in toronto was like light and day compared to L.A.
Gordon said that it was basically a better experience here because people here cared and that he felt more important here.(like being recognized out in public etc.)

rocktml
06-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Agreed 100%

ACSertL
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Poor start, made worse by the Beckham Wreck-em train wreck! How that wasn't a straight red is amazing - if it was Hassli he'd have been out immediately! The man does a diatribe against refs and against reckless tackles earlier in the season and then he does that!

Yeah, I was about to say 'how did he manage to stay on the pitch', then I remembered who we were talking about. It was an awful challenge and worthy of a sending off for sure.

Petor
06-13-2011, 01:12 PM
From the MLS site...

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/253808_10150221344543887_9733218886_7142070_778679 1_n.jpg

Walms
06-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Most Heart I have seen sofar this season. Feels like a win to me

jazzy
06-13-2011, 08:12 PM
viewing Frei's heartfelt picture after the goal, reminds me of my wife talking to him last week at his personal appearance, he was very shy and almost morose. Distinctly felt he was carrying this teams troubles on his shoulders, he's very proud. and PRO....felt for him ....that photo was pure joy

Shakes McQueen
06-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Some folks were speculating a while back that they thought Frei had largely checked out, and would want out of here. That sure doesn't look like a guy who has checked out to me.

Glad to see it.

- Scott

swan
06-13-2011, 08:32 PM
anyone have a vid of the anthems i missed them i wanna see how it is..

ManUtd4ever
06-13-2011, 08:35 PM
anyone have a vid of the anthems i missed them i wanna see how it is..

Consider yourself fortunate that you weren't subjected to those anthems...

swan
06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
i know but i guess i like punishment i still wanna see them...

markus
06-13-2011, 09:01 PM
It's called football show...10pm (http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1830-It-s-Called-Football-Guest)