PDA

View Full Version : mike grella

hodgkiss
06-08-2011, 08:36 PM
was just on mls rumors nad they are reporting that mike grella (leeds) has been released. from what i remember, mojo drafted him in teh superdraft a few years back so i would assume we still own his rights.

seeing we could maybe use a striker, would it not be worth it to look into this???

http://www.mls-rumors.net/16844/2011/06/incoming-mike-grella-to-mls-side-new-york-cosmos/

flamehawk
06-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Hmm.. if it was actually Red Bulls instead of Cosmos, and thus, they'd need to trade with us for the rights, I wonder if we could get any defenders for him?

CSO_BBTB
06-08-2011, 08:52 PM
After a bit of googling it turns out that the rights are retained until the second Dec 31st after the draft:

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2011/02/mls-101-2011-roster-rules-and-regulations

A team retains the rights of any unsigned, drafted players by placing the player on its College Protected List until the second December 31 following the draft in question.

Grella was selected in the 2009 superdraft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_MLS_SuperDraft

so looks like TFC no longer hold his rights.

oxygenatedbrain
06-08-2011, 09:12 PM
The rumor doesn't say "released". Grella says he intends going back to England.
Here's what the Cosmos say:
"Leeds United have given The New York Cosmos permission to have Mike Grella train with the New York Cosmos U-23 team this summer. Mike Grella will be available to play in friendly games only."
TFC don't hold his rights. Were he interested in North America, as an MLS-dodger, the league would undoubtedly allocate him somehow.

MartinUtd
06-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Grella was released from his loan at Swindon because he was publicly bitching that he wasn't getting enough time (even though he featured in most of their matches while there). I don't think MLS is on his mind since he's making a name for himself in League One.

koryo
06-09-2011, 07:06 AM
The rumor doesn't say "released". Grella says he intends going back to England.
Here's what the Cosmos say:
"Leeds United have given The New York Cosmos permission to have Mike Grella train with the New York Cosmos U-23 team this summer. Mike Grella will be available to play in friendly games only."
TFC don't hold his rights. Were he interested in North America, as an MLS-dodger, the league would undoubtedly allocate him somehow.

In fact, Leeds transfer listed Grella in May. He is being released. He spent this past season on loan to League One sides Carlisle & Swindon.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6970997,00.html

Yohan
06-09-2011, 10:06 AM
I remember this kid had a rep as a goal scorer in NCAA, but sounds like he has an attitude problem

prizby
06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
i thought you own his rights for 2 years...well 2 years have passed anyways

jloome
06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I remember this kid had a rep as a goal scorer in NCAA, but sounds like he has an attitude problem

LOL, he had one in NCAA, too, was generally seen as a bit of a cunt. Might just be a competitive streak.

CretanBull
06-09-2011, 05:00 PM
He was the consensus 1st pick OV in his draft year before he opted out of the draft and signed with Leeds. Simon Grayson was pretty high on his athletism and raw talent, but was also pretty critical of his instincts, ability to read the game, his off the ball movement etc. After two loan spells he pretty much cemented his reputation - great athlete, no brain for the game.

Yohan
06-09-2011, 05:06 PM
He was the consensus 1st pick OV in his draft year before he opted out of the draft and signed with Leeds. Simon Grayson was pretty high on his athletism and raw talent, but was also pretty critical of his instincts, ability to read the game, his off the ball movement etc. After two loan spells he pretty much cemented his reputation - great athlete, no brain for the game.

Sounds like typical ncaa striker

Auzzy
06-09-2011, 07:23 PM
He would tear this league a new one...
:leaving:

Razcle
06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
^ Just like Obrien White did?

SirBobSaget
06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
He would tear this league a new one...
:leaving: