PDA

View Full Version : Six All Stars on TFC? Not Likely!

bgnewf
06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Six All Stars on TFC? Not Likely!

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/06/six-all-stars/

Six TFC players have been nominated for possible selection for the MLS All Star Game next month in New York versus Manchester United. Why I feel that there is only one true TFC All star worthy of your vote and where the other five fall short.

prizby
06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
eckersley deserved to be on the list

problem with frei isn't that he isn't deserving is, american fans probably don't rate him that high based on tfc's results...with Hartman, Mondragon, Ricketts, Keller, and Rimando on the list and only 1 can be voted in, what are the chances Backe picks Frei as the backup?

Yagbod
06-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I think we should flood the balloting with non-TFC players, just to keep our squad semi-rested. If one guy has to go, lets send JDG, since I doubt he'll be able to make it anyway.

On second thought, none of them are going to make it, with out without our help, nevermind...

__wowza
06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
^ seattle will take care of that for you. as i remember there was a scam on there before, they had quite a few auto-voters if i remember correctly. i could be wrong but i remember reading it somewhere. i'm worried plata may get the nod.

god thats a shitty thing to worry about. fucking MLS lol.

CretanBull
06-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Six All Stars on TFC? Not Likely!

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/06/six-all-stars/

Six TFC players have been nominated for possible selection for the MLS All Star Game next month in New York versus Manchester United. Why I feel that there is only one true TFC All star worthy of your vote and where the other five fall short.

There's no question that Frei has been - by far - our best player and the only reasonable name put forth for nomination.

Having said that, if Frei not playing significant minutes in the All-Star game would be a "huge disservice", it would be an equal or worse offense for Rimando, Ricketts, Keller and Reis to also not get signficant playing time and we know that all five aren't going to get a chance to play - more than one keeper is gonna get screwed. I'm sure fans in Houston and Dallas will feel cheated if their keepers don't get the call too.

This league is very deep in quality goal keepers, and when it comes right down to it - as great as he has been - I wonder if Frei's game is complete enough for him to be considered one of the best in the MLS.

His shot blocking is obviously incredible, his distribution has been pretty solid as well and no one plays in front of a more porous backline so I doubt if any other keeper has to work as hard as Frei does.

But...he still doesn't command his area as well as he should, he struggles on corners and there's often a nervous second or two when you see him trying to decide how to deal with a long cross from out wide. I realize that a lot of his problems are exasperated by defensive liabilities but he shares some of the responsibility too.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Frei doesn't deserve to make it - he does - I'm just wondering if in a league with so many quality keepers if the decision making is going to come down to tiny nit-picking faults in one candidate over another which might leave Frei on the outside looking in. I think he's got a 50/50 chance of making it, I won't be shocked either way.

Zeke_Jones
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Half the players on TFC's starting 11 wouldnt sit on the bench for majority of the teams in the league and they want to send an "all star" ??

Send the guy who talked everybody into buying season seats, he's the real all star.

__wowza
06-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Send the guy who talked everybody into buying season seats, he's the real all star.

http://i.imm.io/5IjE.jpeg

i think that fellow is doing a fine job!

Flipityflu
06-08-2011, 04:14 PM
can we vote for the squirrel?

seriously, i don't think i could put forth any player on our team, including Frei. I would just like to add that I do think Frei is a good keeper, I just don't think he's had a great season. great goalies bail out bad defense....that hasn't happened this season.

Pookie
06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
bgnewf, I don't disagree with your assessments.

At the same time, and this isn't just you, it seems as though we are all too quick to cut up our own players. Perhaps deservedly so but I remember a time when the team sucked and Toronto was a very hostile environment for visitors to play in.

Now, the team still sucks but it is a very hostile environment for our players to play in.

What you write is true, I'm just not sure how it advances our cause of supporting the crest. That Passion, Pride and Purpose mantra is getting harder and harder to uphold.

bgnewf
06-08-2011, 04:38 PM
bgnewf, I don't disagree with your assessments.

At the same time, and this isn't just you, it seems as though we are all too quick to cut up our own players. Perhaps deservedly so but I remember a time when the team sucked and Toronto was a very hostile environment for visitors to play in.

Now, the team still sucks but it is a very hostile environment for our players to play in.

What you write is true, I'm just not sure how it advances our cause of supporting the crest. That Passion, Pride and Purpose mantra is getting harder and harder to uphold.

I appreciate that point of view.

I however believe that support for the crest and criticism where and when due are two separate things. I support the crest as hard as I did in day one, more so in a lot of respects (because there is a lot more collective suffering on that badge now then ever before). I screamed for years for Mo to be fired yet that did not change the level of support I offered up. I see them as two different things, yet I understand the perspective of those that do not.

And I do not think I was in any way mean or demeaning to these players I deemed not worthy of a nomination. I thought I was being pretty fair.

cheers

Carts
06-08-2011, 04:39 PM
tim90 = ALL-STAR...

ilikemusic
06-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Plata
Frei
Eckersley
Santos
Gordon
Tchiani

Those were my guesses. And I completely forgot about JDG.

Anyway, we shouldnt have to worry about missing many players (if any at all). I cant see anyone but Frei being named to this team.

QSIM
06-08-2011, 06:13 PM
The goalkeeper voting is separate from player.

Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei. Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei. Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei. Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei. Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei. Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.Frei.

A.J
06-08-2011, 08:43 PM
You do realize they picked 6 candidates from each team, right?

I doubt anyone other than Frei has a shot of making it.

ExiledRed
06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
hahahahahahahaha hahahahahah ......... no really ....stop

menefreghista
06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I think Maicon Santos is All-Star worthy.

But I don't think any TFC player will be available for the All-Star game anyways, if we can defeat Vancouver in the Voyageurs Cup the game v. Real Esteli conflcts.

__wowza
06-15-2011, 08:53 AM
personally, i don't think we should be playing an all star game in general, but what's everyone thinking about voting our players in? part of me thinks they'd take it personally (not making the team) or use it as a reflection of their skills, but i'm hoping that's not the case.

they just posted an article on MLS about whose made the cut so far, mostly dominated with NY/LA players. also, im calling next year that its MLS vs the new new york cosmos. here's an excerpt:

Kasey Keller - GK (SEA)
Rafa Marquez - D (NY)
Tim Ream - D (NY)
Omar Gonzalez - D (LA)
David Beckham - M (LA)
Joel Lindpere - M (NY)
Dwayne De Rosario - M (NY)
Landon Donovan - F (LA)
Thierry Henry - F (NY)
Charlie Davies - F (DC)
Chris Wondolowski - F (SJ)

One the fringe …

Donovan Ricketts - GK (LA)
Jay DeMerit - D (VAN)
Kyle Beckerman - M (RSL)
Brek Shea - M (FCD)
Luke Rodgers - F (NY)

Needing a boost …

Nick Rimando - GK (RSL)
Juninho - M (LA)
Sebastien Le Toux - M (PHI)
Jack Jewsbury - M (POR)
Benny Feilhaber - M (NE)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/06/14/all-star-game-first-xi-look-fan-vote-so-far