PDA

View Full Version : Gotta ask... Why do we applaud these guys?

Jeff s
06-05-2011, 04:24 PM
I've been meaning to ask this for sometime. After the game, they come over to applaud us, is this why your applauding back? Because I see absolutely no reason to applaud these guys. I know I'll probably get shit for this, or people will tell me about "oh you gotta support no matter what" blah blah blah. But come on, there has to be a limit.

They lost 6-2 at home, we applaud them. They have the chance to redeem themselves yesterday, instead they played perhaps the most boring game ever against the last place team and we applaud them. With only 2 wins in the season, I gotta ask, wheres the limit with some of you guys? They could finish dead last and some people will still applaud like as if its alright with them. These are paid professionals, feels like I'm applauding a bunch of kids after they lost a game " don't worry guys, as long as you had fun, NOW WHO WANTS ICECREAM?!?!"

TFC07
06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I've been meaning to ask this for sometime. After the game, they come over to applaud us, is this why your applauding back? Because I see absolutely no reason to applaud these guys. I know I'll probably get shit for this, or people will tell me about "oh you gotta support no matter what" blah blah blah. But come on, there has to be a limit.

They lost 6-2 at home, we applaud them. They have the chance to redeem themselves yesterday, instead they played perhaps the most boring game ever against the last place team and we applaud them. With only 2 wins in the season, I gotta ask, wheres the limit with some of you guys? They could finish dead last and some people will still applaud like as if its alright with them. These are paid professionals, feels like I'm applauding a bunch of kids after they lost a game " don't worry guys, as long as you had fun, NOW WHO WANTS ICECREAM?!?!"

You can't fault these players who give it their all. Most of them just aren't good enough to play in MLS or at least play Winter's system. They get applauded for their efforts (I am sure all these players are trying their best to perform well).

RedsYNWA
06-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I want ice cream

Its a sign of respect to us the fans for still giving a shit, nothing pissed me off more when during the Canada Jamaica World cup qualifier when we tied 1-1 NOT 1 Canadian came over to applaud the supporters who like me dragged out and paid for 25 people to cheer for canada and propably the last time you will ever see an 80/20 split for CANADA as far as crowd support in Toronto at the end of that match I said Fak U never again not because of the result but for a lack of RESPECT.
Alot of supporters, fans whatever go to extreme lenghts to support a team and all they want back is some sort of respect back from the players

Keyman
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I think the thing people that people have to realize is that much of what we do as supporters is completely irrational and inexplicable. Having said that, I think applauding is a gesture of respect, something which I haven't lost for our players and which they haven't lost for us. No one can say that the players on the pitch don't care or that they're not giving it their entire effort. Just watch the interviews after the Philly game, especially Frei's. We can be critical of management for bringing in untalented players, we can voice our frustration at the front office, but to me the players on the field deserve our respect as long as they respect us, the city, and the badge.

Shep
06-05-2011, 05:08 PM
I answered this in another thread, mind this is just my view, everyone probably has a different take on it, and rightfully so. I'll just copy paste:

this team sucks balls, but when I sing 'TFC'till I die!' - I mean it.
it's that simple. there is no blind faith here, I know exactly what I'm cheering for - football, Toronto, and right now to let the team know someone is still there watching and wanting them to bust their ass for the badge.

if and when that effort starts translating into victory I'll be even happier for them after having ridden through this, and then I'll be cheering for the results.

my girlfriend brought her two sons to the game tonight, they were up in 111, their first time out. after she told me they had an AMAZING night (there were caps in the text I got before we talked..) later she said that in between high points in the game they were enthralled with the south end. Now they want to wear their new TFC shirts to soccer practice this week and eventually get down and sing with everyone.. when they get older as their mom had to explain to them lol. But my point, even with the crap result, the horrid play, the support kept it alive, not everyone had a good night, but these little guys are football crazy tonight, and it'll only grow on them. Take the mindboggling action from the die-hards out of the game and professional football might die in the city. Probably take ages to ever recuperate, and we would definitely never see a brighter day for TFC.

but yeah, this team is total shite.
for now.
:scarf:

Roogsy
06-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Respect. Appreciation.

I will continue to sing and applaud the boys every time they play and work to represent us.

The only times I would choose not to applaud is when they truly deserve to be given the gears ie. After the Philly game or after the NYRB in October of '09.

ArmenJBX
06-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Respect. Appreciation.

I will continue to sing and applaud the boys every time they play and work to represent us.

In turn, they will continue to believe that no matter how piss poor they play, a corner full of drunk and loyal supporters will love them off.

You don't give your 2 year old a kit-kat and a high five when he pisses all over your carpet, you tell them he's not doing it right and make him fix it for next time. He's technically peeing and he does represent you when he does, he's just doing it terribly. We've been handing out chocolate bars for 5 years now...just saying.

Also inb4 I'm not a supporter due to those comments.

Phil
06-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I think the thing people that people have to realize is that much of what we do as supporters is completely irrational and inexplicable. Having said that, I think applauding is a gesture of respect, something which I haven't lost for our players and which they haven't lost for us. No one can say that the players on the pitch don't care or that they're not giving it their entire effort. Just watch the interviews after the Philly game, especially Frei's. We can be critical of management for bringing in untalented players, we can voice our frustration at the front office, but to me the players on the field deserve our respect as long as they respect us, the city, and the badge.

This and some of the other posts sums it up nicely for me.

Derko
06-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Jeff, Supporting a team is a passion, thick or thin, win or lose, I have been supporting England every Euro and World Cup. knowing they are not going to win but having that faith that they may beat some better team and eliminate them, I also support Blackpool who were relegated by 1 point, but I still support them. That is the difference betrween you and me.

OurGame
06-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Respect. Appreciation.

The only times I would choose not to applaud is when they truly deserve to be given the gears ie. After the Philly game or after the NYRB in October of '09.

They don't represent "us" that's for goddam sure..
either does the team or the company that owns the team ..
i see no reason to cheer one bit ever..

other then that Roog's your player discussions about signings and trades etc ..I agree with your perspective

MartinUtd
06-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I see where the sentiment is coming from, I'm fed up with this team as well. I'm even at the point where I'm considering whether or not I'll renew my season's next year (partly due to being busier in RL, partly due to the availability of single game tickets and partly due to frustration with the FO).

Having got all that negativity out of the way I will stop short of asking people why they still care. Despite the turnover I still feel a connection to this team. I still care about the results and I still care that our boys put in an effort even when the results don't go our way. That's why I applaud; because apathy hasn't gotten a full grip of me yet.

kodiakTFC
06-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I feel like most of the time I'm applauding the badge or a few specific players rather than the team.

ensco
06-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Because soccer is different.

J .
06-05-2011, 11:30 PM
We applaud these guys cause their our guys.

Yagbod
06-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Because 'the 12th man' is not just a saying.

Whoop
06-06-2011, 12:23 AM
This kind of tradition is catching in other sports as well.

There are hockey teams that after a win or loss will gather at centre ice, raise their sticks to salute the crowd.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gsoa9zgrscD7/610x.jpg

http://m1.ikiwq.com/img/xl/VHpwDNlYi6UqlvuzALW7na.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5266/5648933668_792473bf02.jpg

Win, lose, or draw... if the team at least puts out an effort, they'll get applause from me.

Jeff s
06-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Respect. Appreciation.

Thats what I'm saying. Im not saying for every single loss here. I'm saying why do we applaud them after a REALLY pathetic display, especially when that display happened 3 games in a row.

If we lost, but still had a good game, than I don't care about the applause, But I was still really confused about how we can show appreciation to that 6-2 loss.

We applaud these guys cause their our guys.
Theres a lot of them I don't consider "my guy":( I want a few of them out.

Jeff, Supporting a team is a passion, thick or thin, win or lose, I have been supporting England every Euro and World Cup. knowing they are not going to win but having that faith that they may beat some better team and eliminate them, I also support Blackpool who were relegated by 1 point, but I still support them. That is the difference betrween you and me.

Err congrats? That has no relation to what I'm saying.

J .
06-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Err congrats? That has no relation to what I'm saying.

I think he is saying you dont get it because it does relate. Its not something you can explain.

Its your side, your team. Win, lose or draw. Whether you like them or not, they suit up for your team so if thats your team, they're your guys. You can dislike them, want them gone, but you cheer for your side for 90 minutes because even though you may not like them, you want to win, glory in victory and titles, comraderie with friends and entertainment of sport.

You maybe get to spend 1% of your year at the game, hear the crowd, see your friends, drink overpriced beer and all the like. Some people want to throw a suck and complain, for me thats a waste of that 1% of the time I get to go see my team. Whether I loathe the players, their form, the coaches and the like, Im there to support the team and I have the rest of the time I can disect, like, dislike, promote, dispute and all that for the rest of the time.

Its supporting your football club, its what supporters do. Its irrational, maybe its not for you and there is nothing wrong with that.