PDA

View Full Version : Shrewsbury fan (england)

shrewsburyfan
06-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi all, Shrewsbury Town fan here, apparently we have signed a player called Nana Attakora-Gyan who plays for you or used to play for you. Have you heard this? And is he any good? Thanks

Fort York Redcoat
06-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Wha?

Link please...

nm

Link below...

Nodoubtguy
06-03-2011, 08:08 AM
?????

Darlofletch
06-03-2011, 08:09 AM
eh? I hope this isn't true.

Fort York Redcoat
06-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Ah..Rumours. Well let's hope so.

"Nana Attakora-Gyan HAS completed his move to Shrewsbury, just awaiting a work permit now. Hoping to announce the deal today if not tomorrow.

Oli"

Ben - D.O.W.
06-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Well that's a hell of a way to start the day.

kodiakTFC
06-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Did some searching, apparantly (according to various forums and 'sources') Nana to Shrewbury Town is a done deal and is waiting on a work permit.

What the hell..

Nodoubtguy
06-03-2011, 08:12 AM
a bit of searching.....

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=73510&page=4#913147

tfcleeds
Wow....what are we going to do about the CB position. This sucks.

Stugatzo
All over their fan board.
http://blueandamber.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=73510&page=3

Also, let's not forget that famous S.T. super fan, Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap.

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/this-is-spinal-tap-shrewsbury-town-jersey.jpg

Darlofletch
06-03-2011, 08:13 AM
http://blueandamber.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=73510&page=4

Nana Attakora-Gyan HAS completed his move to Shrewsbury, just awaiting a work permit now. Hoping to announce the deal today if not tomorrow.

Oli

gah, you beat me to it.

mlssoccer has an interview up with him which presumably took place recently, so hopefully this is just bullshit.

Fort York Redcoat
06-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Can anyone blame him after what's been going on here?

kodiakTFC
06-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't blame him, its probably a pay raise too.

Carts
06-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Can anyone blame him after what's been going on here?

I don't blame him one bit...

We're f*cked - but if I was in his shoes, I would do the same thing...

Wull
06-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Fuck, if Frei thought he was overworked before now, he'll have to work twice as hard with no centre-backs!

swan
06-03-2011, 08:24 AM
wow we could really use him right now.. don't blame the guy for taking off though

Pookie
06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
^ seems like it is mentioned on a few fan sites in the UK

Though not sure how valid it is. For example:

" Nana Attakora of Toronto FC WILL sign for Shrewsbury, the defender has been at Greenhous Meadow for the past 2 days and will wait for a response regarding a work permit before announcing the deal - likely to be later on in the week "

Nana signed autographs for players at my son's Academy on Wednesday night so unless he hopped a plane and got there on Thursday... seems like the facts are a little off but it is mentioned quite a bit.

Good news I guess if you think of MLS as a Developmental league for better players to pursue opportunities globally. Nana is a class act. I wish him well if this is true.

Carts
06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm bringing my boots & kit to the match Saturday...

At this rate, Winter might just give me my shot!

pekduck
06-03-2011, 08:30 AM

^
what? Frei is leaving too? :D

I remembered you played in nets last time..

Stouffville_RPB
06-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Holy shit! Really?

Wow. If this happened 2 weeks ago I don't think anyone is really shocked. With the injury and absences though this is a blow.

Carts
06-03-2011, 08:32 AM
^
what? Frei is leaving too? :D

I remembered you played in nets last time..

With our back line - we need two keepers!

Eastend
06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
^^I'm in too. You can hop on my shoulders then we may make up the required height.....lol....I know, not funny.

Phil
06-03-2011, 08:36 AM
You would think if this is happening John Molinaro would have been in there with a story.

I am chalking this up to rumour for now.

We need him on that back line more than ever at the moment.

bgnewf
06-03-2011, 08:38 AM
I am going to training this morning at BMO Field. Hope to either see if Nana is there and/or get a response from Winter or Mariner.

pekduck
06-03-2011, 08:38 AM
You would think if this is happening John Molinaro would have been in there with a story.

I am chalking this up to rumour for now.

We need him on that back line more than ever at the moment.

why spoil the fun... it's going to be a gold mine for the comic strip

could be RR impersonating Nana there too, lol

shrewsburyfan
06-03-2011, 08:41 AM
I thinks it's just a rumour and don't think anything will come of it, just on a unreliable football transfer rumours website

manic.street.preacher
06-03-2011, 08:41 AM
^fo sho, the twitterverse is awfully quiet on this on (ug, can't believe i just used the word 'twitterverse') ... if true, we're pooched :( but we all knew Nana would eventually leave for greener pastures overseas

shrewsburyfan
06-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I think it's just another football rumour to be honest

Technorgasm
06-03-2011, 08:43 AM

winter: Kit up kid. . YOUR GOIN IN
Carts: just let me chug the rest of this beer. . .

menefreghista
06-03-2011, 08:46 AM
I wonder how true this could be. For starters, it will be awfully tough for Nana to get a work permit in the UK due to his lack of national team appearances. Unless they have loosened the rules recently? Or does he have family links to the UK we don't know about?

Although there is just under one month left where we can transfer Nana and actually get a return.

backbeat
06-03-2011, 08:53 AM
What date does the summer window open in the MLS?

menefreghista
06-03-2011, 08:57 AM
What date does the summer window open in the MLS?

July 15th.

Nana Attakora has a contract that ends December 31, 2011. But he can openly negotiate for his next contract after July 1, 2011 (excluding with MLS teams)

Suds
06-03-2011, 08:58 AM
I wonder how true this could be. For starters, it will be awfully tough for Nana to get a work permit in the UK due to his lack of national team appearances. Unless they have loosened the rules recently? Or does he have family links to the UK we don't know about?

Although there is just under one month left where we can transfer Nana and actually get a return.

Interesting point.

Pretty clear TFC and Nana have not been able to come to terms on a new contract. It's been posted many times that contract expires at the end of June.

For now this is rumour.

However, for those who have a better grasp on the MLS rules around transfers & trades than I do. What are TFC options at this stage in a case like this?

Pookie
06-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Maybe the rumours of Tchani playing as a CB have some legs to them.

Is this the line up:

Eckersley-Williams-Tchani-Borman
Yourassowsky-JDG-Stevanovic
Martina-Santos-Plata

?

ManUtd4ever
06-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Nana has always wanted to play in Europe, so I wouldn't be surprised if he pursued the opportunity to play in England, albeit in League Two.

I assume that because of his contract status, there would be no transfer fee required on Shrewsbury's behalf either. Nana could simply wait until his contract formally expires in a few weeks before completing the transfer.

I like Nana, and if this rumour is valid, I sincerely wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Unfortunately, if it's valid, it also couldn't happen at a worse time for TFC, but management must have known that Nana's departure might be imminent since he refused to sign a contract extension, and was within his rights to seek employment opportunities outside of MLS once his existing contract expired.

As mentioned previously in other threads, Winter and Mariner are actively trying to acquire reinforcements on the backline. Let's hope this desperate situation is resolved as soon as possible.

swan
06-03-2011, 09:02 AM
plata is staying with nat team i believe

menefreghista
06-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Pretty clear TFC and Nana have not been able to come to terms on a new contract. It's been posted many times that contract expires at the end of June.

Just to clarify again, his contract doesn't end in June. He is allowed to negotiate his next contract after June.

FIFA has a rule that a player is allowed to start looking for a new contract once there is 6 months left in their current contract.

Pookie
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
However, for those who have a better grasp on the MLS rules around transfers & trades than I do. What are TFC options at this stage in a case like this?

Got to break it down between legal and practical.

If both sides know there is no future, TFC would be wise to engineer a transfer and recover something, even if just a nominal fee to be used as allocation money. That would at least give them something extra to approach the upcoming transfer window with.

As far as legal, if he can't break his contract till July 1st, they could be hard assed about it. That said, cooler heads should prevail in a case like this.

It's not all negative though. Once we get our heads around the concept that MLS/TFC is a developmental league, having players move on to pursue global opportunities is a good thing. If we can improve our connections with other clubs and demonstrate progression opportunities, it might provide some incentive for players that are looking for that "extra break" to actually sign here.

Sort of like what I envision Eckersley did. Career was stalled and he is looking to jump start it.

Pookie
06-03-2011, 09:08 AM
plata is staying with nat team i believe

My bad. You are correct:

"The 19-year old Ecuador international made his Toronto debut on April 2. Plata will remain with his national team for another friendly in New York against Greece on June 7. He could rejoin Toronto for the club's away match in Los Angeles on June 11."

Suds
06-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Just to clarify again, his contract doesn't end in June. He is allowed to negotiate his next contract after June.

FIFA has a rule that a player is allowed to start looking for a new contract once there is 6 months left in their current contract.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Auzzy
06-03-2011, 09:11 AM
So, will this pay for the roof... :D :D

J .
06-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi all, Shrewsbury Town fan here, apparently we have signed a player called Nana Attakora-Gyan who plays for you or used to play for you. Have you heard this? And is he any good? Thanks

Nana is an up and coming player who fell out of the staff over a departed former star of TFC, DeRosario. There is still a fair amount of potential in him so it would be a good pickup.

Nana is a decent defender, one of the few defenders we have who doesnt get beat off the dribble constantly and he's not afraid to challenge in the air.

For me what holds him back is mentally. He does suffer from lapses in judgement going forward, prone to listless passes forward. Also he is not a leader, from his time here it appears he is deferential to other more older players and will need a commanding centre back to direct him.

I always have thought if Nana just got his mind right he could play in the EPL. He is big, strong and last year was a very solid shut down guy. This year has been his worst since the new Dutch staff took over.

Fort York Redcoat
06-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I always have thought if Nana just got his mind right he could play in the EPL. He is big, strong and last year was a very solid shut down guy. This year has been his worst since the new Dutch staff took over.

I think he'll do well in League 2. Maybe help with promotion but I can't see him higher than Championship at this rate.

trane
06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. I am not happy about this. Not that winter was playing him. But Harden over fuking Attakora.

menefreghista
06-03-2011, 09:23 AM
FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. I am not happy about this. Not that winter was playing him. But Harden over fuking Attakora.

Relax, its just a rumour....for now...

Carts
06-03-2011, 09:24 AM
winter: Kit up kid. . YOUR GOIN IN
Carts: just let me chug the rest of this beer. . .

Ya that sounds about right... :drinking:

ginkster88
06-03-2011, 09:24 AM

You'll probably be very happy with him.

...Fuck.

shrewsburyfan
06-03-2011, 09:26 AM

As I said earlier, I think it's just a rumour, but who knows

ManUtd4ever
06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I think everyone should be cognisant of the probability that Nana would have pursued an opportunity like this regardless of his playing time this season. Based on his demeanour this season, I think that his decision to pursue opportunities elsewhere was solidified after the departure of DeRo.

trane
06-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Relax, its just a rumour....for now...

It rings true. Nana needs to play to develop and he is not without tallent. He needs to go to Europe to develop as a defender. This would make sense for him, and winter clearly rates him behind Harden and Gargan. Which to me is incredible.

Roogsy
06-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I think everyone should be cognisant of the probability that Nana would have pursued an opportunity like this regardless of his playing time this season. Based on his demeanour this season, I think that his decision to pursue opportunities elsewhere was solidified after the departure of DeRo.

I will state that this (the way things have developed) was never Nana's intention. He wants to stay here a couple more years. But the fact that he was iced when he didn't sign the contract they put in front of him was the final nail in the coffin. And yes, he did disagree with the way the team managed the DeRo situation so it may have played a part, but his concern was always what was best for his development. Playing time and a decent contract from TFC is all he was looking for.

Waggy
06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Any word on what we're getting for him? Or are we letting him go for free?

And if true, esp if we arent getting much back for him, this move would certainly be mostly at Nana's request and as a favour to him (given how much we need him RIGHT now. Winter specifically mentioned him the other day). I wonder if some board members would be able to admit the club did (will do?) something nice for a player, even after they appeared to be on the shitlist a few weeks ago.

Yohan
06-03-2011, 09:35 AM
It rings true. Nana needs to play to develop and he is not without tallent. He needs to go to Europe to develop as a defender. This would make sense for him, and winter clearly rates him behind Harden and Gargan. Which to me is incredible.
No. Nana does not need to go to a League 2 team to develop as a footballer

menefreghista
06-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Any word on what we're getting for him? Or are we letting him go for free?

From a League 2 club? Very little if anything.

And if true, esp if we arent getting much back for him, this move would certainly be mostly at Nana's request and as a favour to him (given how much we need him RIGHT now. Winter specifically mentioned him the other day). I wonder if some board members would be able to admit the club did (will do?) something nice for a player, even after they appeared to be on the shitlist a few weeks ago.

Is the club really doing something nice for him? Or clearing up roster space for their own use? Let's not turn Winter into a martyr here after the way he has already treated Nana.

menefreghista
06-03-2011, 09:37 AM

He does need to play though.

Waggy
06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
From a League 2 club? Very little if anything.

Is the club really doing something nice for him? Or clearing up roster space for their own use? Let's not turn Winter into a martyr here after the way he has already treated Nana.

Not saying it wouldn't help the club too. But the club needs him, and has roster and cap space anyways. Since people love to point out every possible perceived slight to players, figured I'd point out something more positive.

And didn't expect all that much for Nana tbh, he's no Edu reputation wise or on the pitch. But even a few hundred k could add to our allocation fund nicely.

ManUtd4ever
06-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I will state that this (the way things have developed) was never Nana's intention. He wants to stay here a couple more years. But the fact that he was iced when he didn't sign the contract they put in front of him was the final nail in the coffin. And yes, he did disagree with the way the team managed the DeRo situation so it may have played a part, but his concern was always what was best for his development. Playing time and a decent contract from TFC is all he was looking for.

I can't comment on whether the contract offer was decent, but by Nana's own admission, it was the length of term that he was concerned with as opposed to financial considerations.

In any case, in light of his limited playing time, I certainly don't blame him for pursuing other opportunities at this crucial stage of his career. It is his absolute right as a pending free agent.

shrewsburyfan
06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
If it is true then the fee (if there is one) wont be much, our record signing is £170,000 for grant holt who went to norwich - just promoted to the Premier League

reggie
July 15th.

Nana Attakora has a contract that ends December 31, 2011. But he can openly negotiate for his next contract after July 1, 2011 (excluding with MLS teams)

JULY 15....WTF
we have to deal with this crap for 6 more weeks:facepalm::drinking:

scut farkus
If it is true, odd that TFC just tweeted this: http://twitter.com/#!/torontofc/status/76658590873686016

J .
06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I think he'll do well in League 2. Maybe help with promotion but I can't see him higher than Championship at this rate.

I think he could survive on a Championship side right now, Leagues 1 and 2 would probably be more fitting. I dont know if he would warrant regular minutes above L1 as he's just not good enough on the ball, especially if he is put in a position to launch long passes. He is horrible at it.

ChrisLav
06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
And TFC's webpage just posts this story about Nana being ready to replace Cann if called upon

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/06/attakora-fired-cann

Pigfynn
06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
League 2 will teach him little to nothing.Except maybe how to play hack and slash.

If this is his idea of progress in his career, he is taking bad advice. He would do himself a bigger favour by staying put or at least remaining in the MLS.

Waggy
06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Maybe this move isn't exactly immanent, it seems like it'd be better for everyone to wait a few weeks (Nana'd come cheaper for the other club, TFC wouldn't lose one of our only central defenders)

ManUtd4ever
06-03-2011, 09:46 AM
And TFC's webpage just posts this story about Nana being ready to replace Cann if called upon

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/06/attakora-fired-cann

Technically speaking, even if this Shrewsbury rumor is valid, Nana is still the property of TFC until the MLS transfer window opens in several weeks. I still expect to see him in the starting lineup in the interim considering the depleted state of backline.

felipe
06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Couldn't come at a worse time; but don't think a better move could happen to Nana.

He'll be in the shop window, playing for a good team, in a league where most of the teams are on par with the majority of MLS teams.

Nana will become a much better player, quickly, training and playing 46+ matches in a season with a settled squad, smarter players, with much less travel

I could see him quickly moving to the championship from there if he keeps improving even if it's just at the same rate as he did here...

menefreghista
06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
For those knocking League 2, one of our better players this season, Eckersley, was having problems getting starts in that same division.

C.Ronaldo
06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
from the TFC article
"I’ll miss him. Wherever I am, Adrian is always someone I’ll look up to.”

hes already mentally packed his bags

Phil
06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Technically speaking, even if this Shrewsbury rumor is valid, Nana is still the property of TFC until the MLS transfer window opens in several weeks. I still expect to see him in the starting lineup in the interim considering the depleted state of backline.

Actually he is the property of TFC until the end of the year.

He is just allowed to negotiate on his own outside MLS for next years contract.

Darlofletch
06-03-2011, 10:06 AM

worked for Darlington legend jason de vos.

Wooster_TFC
06-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Actually he is the property of TFC until the end of the year.

He is just allowed to negotiate on his own outside MLS for next years contract.

Except not yet he's not. If this is actually true (although all signs point to it not being the case), then it's tampering if TFC was unaware of it.

JonO
06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
^^ who? :p things are a little different now though. I make no claim to knowledge of the level of football played in League 2, but due to recent developments with Dunfield, I think Nana is better off trying to stay somewhere in MLS. At the end of the day, though, I hope he stays with us...

trane
06-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Yes. Nana needs time on the pitch to develop as a defender. League 2 or not.

Gazza
06-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't need Attakora money, just pay me in beer.

The sweeper role is still implemented these days, right?

Roogsy
06-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I can't comment on whether the contract offer was decent, but by Nana's own admission, it was the length of term that he was concerned with as opposed to financial considerations.

That's why I said a "decent" contract meaning if you want to lock up a player who doesn't want to be locked up long-term, you have to make it worth his while. I think Nana is still willing to work for a relatively low pay (not as low as what he's making now obviously), his position however has always been that he does not want the contract length to inhibit him in the future. Why? Because obviously he feels if he continues to develop, he would be worth more in the future.

I think the hardline TFC took with him had the opposite effect of what they wanted. Much like it did with Aleman.

Phil
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Except not yet he's not. If this is actually true (although all signs point to it not being the case), then it's tampering if TFC was unaware of it.

True.

However, I think this is firmly in the rumour bin. Heck Dobson hasnt even broken the story ;)

JonO
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't need Attakora money, just pay me in beer.

The sweeper role is still implemented these days, right?
His salary doesn't buy much beer....

Looking for something like this:
http://ilovewhiterice.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/janitor.gif?w=454&h=589

Wooster_TFC
06-03-2011, 10:29 AM
True.

However, I think this is firmly in the rumour bin. Heck Dobson hasnt even broken the story ;)

So do I, I just wanted to clarify the misconception that Nana could be off in England negotiating a contract on a free without TFCs knowledge.

Pookie
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Given his age and the fact that MLS contracts for non Gen-Adidas players under the age of 23 are not guaranteed, I wonder if that was a major sticking point.

?

Yohan
06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
worked for Darlington legend jason de vos.
and Simeon Jackson, Iain Hume

But MLS now is way better league than MLS 10 years ago.

trane
06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
^ This is a shit league, and we are a shit team. That is the reality. If you think that we are miles ahead of League 2 you are simply wrong. This is still league that is painfull to watch to most people who have grown up with the game.

As someone said earlier, League 2 is around the same level of TEAM play as MLS, players with better footy IQ and tactical awareness, better defenders, and he will get lots of playing time. It is a good move, in the eyes of anyone, other then MLS lovers.

Plus slashing and hacking is not a bad thing for a defender to learn, Nana can use some of that. We can use some of that in the midle of our fucking box.

trane
06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
^ I am tiered of conceeding goals, and defenders looking sad and weepy instead of fucking angry looking for vegeance. If Nana wants to grow as a defenders the worst league in the world for that is the home of the shitiest defending on the planet the MLS.

TFCRegina
06-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Attakora was arguably our best defender in the last two years.

IF this is true - haven't read the rest of the thread - might not be - TFC's management drove him away and sat him on the bench because he wouldn't sign a new contract.

Pisses me right off.

He should do very well in League 2, as it's a step below MLS. But if it gets Nana playing time, all the best. He needs to develop to be in the National team picture for Canada and while he won't be playing for the Nats at the League 2 level, he might get a shot if he makes it up to League 1, and he'll definitely get a shot if things really work out and he ends up in the Championship.

TFCRegina
06-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Ya that sounds about right... :drinking:

You'd probably have better positional awareness than Dan Gargan.

Whoop
06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
All being denied.

KurtLarSUN (http://twitter.com/#%21/KurtLarSUN) K Larson

Paul Mariner "categorically denied" Nana to Shrewsbury rumours floating around. Actually laughed at the idea.

And JMol says he's at training today.

Darlofletch
06-03-2011, 11:05 AM
and Simeon Jackson, Iain Hume

But MLS now is way better league than MLS 10 years ago.

true, and plenty of people it's not working for as well, how's gavin mccallum's career going?

But it can be a good way to get consistent playing time and get seen by bigger clubs.

Darlofletch
06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
All being denied.

excellent.

shrewsburyfan
06-03-2011, 11:08 AM
true, and plenty of people it's not working for as well, how's gavin mccallum's career going?

But it can be a good way to get consistent playing time and get seen by bigger clubs.

Gavin McCallum has been made available for transfer by Lincoln City after scoring just 3 goals in 36 appearances

flamehawk
06-03-2011, 11:09 AM
All being denied.

phewwww..

TFCRegina
06-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Gavin McCallum has been made available for transfer by Lincoln City after scoring just 3 goals in 36 appearances

To be fair, a lot of those appearances in the middle of the season were 10-20 minute subs, and he racked up a fair number of assists (followed his season fairly closely - thank you BBC match tracker). The last third he started getting full 90 minute appearances.

But yes, he was supposed to be a striker and didn't score a lot.

Parkdale
06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
can I breathe now?

shrewsburyfan
06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
To be fair, a lot of those appearances in the middle of the season were 10-20 minute subs, and he racked up a fair number of assists (followed his season fairly closely - thank you BBC match tracker). The last third he started getting full 90 minute appearances.

But yes, he was supposed to be a striker and didn't score a lot.

Agree, but had a good spell with our local rivals Hereford United

Pachuco
06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm glad I realized this was a Nana thread just now. I probably would've had a heart attack if I read it from the beginning when it was posted.

Krasno.pL.
06-03-2011, 11:17 AM

good midfielder when i played with him in Mississauga years agoo.! would be alright in the MLS

Parkdale
06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
how about we trade our pricing structure with Shrewsbury Town?

http://www.shrewsburytown.com/staticFiles/9b/6d/0,,10443~159131,00.pdf

TFCRegina
06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
good midfielder when i played with him in Mississauga years agoo.! would be alright in the MLS

Completely disagree. He's playing below MLS standards as it is.

He'd be a classic Toronto FC signing...right up there with Adam Braz and Marco Reda.

Although when he was in good form earlier this year I had him on my list of potential trialists for TFC, will admit to that.

Krasno.pL.
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Completely disagree. He's playing below MLS standards as it is.

He'd be a classic Toronto FC signing...right up there with Adam Braz and Marco Reda.

Although when he was in good form earlier this year I had him on my list of potential trialists for TFC, will admit to that.

good to know. no idea . hadnt followed him for a while :) thanks.

zeelaw
06-03-2011, 11:35 AM
It's a step down if true... but greater chance of breaking into more money in the future..

Whoop
06-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Echoing what Regina said.

JohnMolinaro (http://twitter.com/#%21/JohnMolinaro) John Molinaro

Nana: "Not true. Far from it. First and foremost I can't even get a work permit for England. Just another rumour being started."

Whoop
06-03-2011, 01:40 PM
So it looks like if Nana were to leave TFC, it would be to another MLS team or another European country likely somewhere in Scandinavia.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
If true good luck nana.......you dont deserve to rot away at this circus!!!!! Take this and run with it!!

TorontoGooner
06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
This is symbolic of our standard. Shrewsbury Town sniff around our players. Sigh

shrewsburyfan
06-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Any more news about the rumour? Cheers

McBrace
06-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, It's bullshit.

Player confirmed it was just a rumour. He's probably starting tomorrow.

Maltese Falcon
06-03-2011, 03:45 PM

You a CB? if so...yeah bring your gear

prizby
06-03-2011, 04:01 PM

i don't know where you and other people get off on there being no compensation if his contract expires...as long as TFC have offered him the same amount or even a raise, we get a return no matter what...he's under 24

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Carl Robinson played at Shrewsbury Town on loan from Wolves, so there's a tenuous TFC link.

It's a weird rumour. I'm assuming it's untrue based on the response from Nana and the team, but why choose Shrewsbury Town off all teams? If it's a fake-out, it's a super fake-out.

Shakes McQueen
06-04-2011, 03:15 AM
I'm glad I realized this was a Nana thread just now. I probably would've had a heart attack if I read it from the beginning when it was posted.

I made the mistake of starting my reading at the first page, where everyone was freaking out.

- Scott

Davenport
06-04-2011, 12:11 PM
This is symbolic of our standard. Shrewsbury Town sniff around our players. Sigh
I'm surprised. Shrewsbury are better than TFC.
Eckersley played for Bury and did well, but he wasn't their best player.
They were in the same division as Shrewsbury.

CSO_BBTB
06-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Perhaps worth bearing in mind that TFC's interest in Eckersley was inspired by what he did playing for Paul Mariner in the Championship while on loan to Plymouth Argyle.

Davenport
06-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Perhaps worth bearing in mind that TFC's interest in Eckersley was inspired by what he did playing for Paul Mariner in the Championship while on loan to Plymouth Argyle.
Probably. He played 7 games and they were relegated.

FluSH
06-04-2011, 03:05 PM
1st time checking thisthread... was this confirmed what??.

Azerban
06-04-2011, 03:16 PM
After earning his cap, Canadian manager Stephen Hart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hart_%28soccer%29) advised Dunfield he needed to be playing at a higher level than League Two if he had any aspirations of furthering his international career. As a result, a month after gaining his cap he was allowed to leave by new Shrewsbury manager Graham Turner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Turner). Turner expressed that he was "far from happy with the player basically implying that this club and English League Two football was not good enough for him."[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Dunfield#cite_note-Langmead_and_Dunfield_leaving_Town-2)
While on trial with Motherwell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherwell_F.C.) of the Scottish Premier League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Premier_League), Dunfield was offered a contract by the Vancouver Whitecaps which he accepted with the knowledge he could move with club to the MLS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer) in 2011.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Dunfield#cite_note-Soccer_wunderkind_returns_home_to_play_for_the_Van couver_Whitecaps-3)

Pretty clear that at least Hart feels that Shrewsbury Town and League Two is underneath Toronto FC and MLS as a whole, and if Nana wants caps, then he should stay here.

Davenport
06-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Pretty clear that at least Hart feels that Shrewsbury Town and League Two is underneath Toronto FC and MLS as a whole, and if Nana wants caps, then he should stay here.
Sorry, can't agree with you or Hart. WTF does he know about soccer ?!
Shrewsbury Town and any other top div 2 team would do well in MLS.
Teams like that are fit and quick.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Sorry, can't agree with you or Hart. WTF does he know about soccer ?!
Shrewsbury Town and any other top div 2 team would do well in MLS.
Teams like that are fit and quick.

League Two, in which Shrewsbury Town play, is the fourth tier of English football. I think you'd have to do something pretty special there to be on the national team radar.

Davenport
06-06-2011, 04:50 PM
League Two, in which Shrewsbury Town play, is the fourth tier of English football. I think you'd have to do something pretty special there to be on the national team radar.

Agreed, but there are Internationals playing in that Division.

The difference between MLS and every other league in the world are the rules which create a gulf in quality in each squad.
Most teams have a couple of good players, an abundance of average players and some truly awful ones.

In Div 2 most teams have a good bunch of average players, who are young and hungry. Players like Harden, Gargan, Peterson just wouldn't be good enough.

Beach_Red
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Players like Harden, Gargan, Peterson just wouldn't be good enough.

They may not be good enough for any other MLS team, either.

Davenport
06-06-2011, 05:11 PM
They may not be good enough for any other MLS team, either.Add Cann, DeGuzman and Boorman to that.
Warning....don't sign players whose names end in N !!!!

prizby
06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
ugh whats wrong with Peterson, Cann, De Guzman, Borman?

Davenport
06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
ugh whats wrong with Peterson, Cann, De Guzman, Borman?
Peterson....rubbish.
Cann...did well last year but really struggled this year until his injury.
De Guzman....no reply needed.
Borman......a defender who can't defend.

prizby
06-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Peterson....rubbish.
Cann...did well last year but really struggled this year until his injury.
De Guzman....no reply needed.
Borman......a defender who can't defend.

Peterson - the only person who has sent a half decent set piece in
Cann - kind of hard to be the same when the team is more attacking minded; sure he was crap at left back, but he still was doing those little things that people (like you) never seem to notice
De Guzman - not sure you notice how lost Tchani seems to be when JDG isn't on the park with him; Tchani's game has certainly elevated under his guidance and his play on the pitch has been much better with JDG around
Borman - I have seen him make several good tackles and defending plays, the problem is, when he attacks, like Winter wants his full backs to do, no one fills in for him and when the ball is turned over, he is hung out to dry

Davenport
06-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Peterson - the only person who has sent a half decent set piece in. It's not all about free kicks and corners (sometimes we don't get them and he's hardly a Beckham). In open play he gives the ball away all the time.
Cann - kind of hard to be the same when the team is more attacking minded; sure he was crap at left back, but he still was doing those little things that people (like you) never seem to notice. I notice him making rash challenges, giving the ball away and looking very uncomfortable.
De Guzman - not sure you notice how lost Tchani seems to be when JDG isn't on the park with him; Tchani's game has certainly elevated under his guidance and his play on the pitch has been much better with JDG around. There is no excuse for DeGuzman that will ever convert me. A complete waste of a DP spot and money.
Borman - I have seen him make several good tackles and defending plays, the problem is, when he attacks, like Winter wants his full backs to do, no one fills in for him and when the ball is turned over, he is hung out to dry. He's not bad going forward, but he defends like a forward. I'd give him a shot at left mid.

Yohan
06-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Tchani is all raw talent so far... That kid should have been developed in Europe. What a waste.

He's going to be one helluva DM in MLS one of these days... when he finally figures out how to pass

CretanBull
06-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Tchani is all raw talent so far... That kid should have been developed in Europe. What a waste.

He's going to be one helluva DM in MLS one of these days... when he finally figures out how to pass

Thats the way I see it too...the raw talent is there and it's obvious, but at this point he's an athelete and not yet a soccer player.

Super Cereal
06-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Props to John Molinaro, continues to be a class reporter.