PDA

View Full Version : What are we good at, what are our strenghs?

trane
06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
After 4 plus years, I am struggling to find an aspect of the game that we excel at. We do not defend well, we do not hold on to the ball well, we are not tacticaly aware, we are not particullarly physical, we do notplay hard, we are not good going forward.

However, I think we have improved somewhat at holding shape, we seem to be more tacticaly aware then in previous years, and we move the ball around better and the players move better of the ball. However it is still not producing results. What else?

I liked our club in year one, because it was not pretty but it was tough, when opponents came to BMO they at least got bruised. I would like to see that again, at least in the players in our defensive box [ the two DMs and the CBs] make it tough for players to venture in, righ now people are not scared at all at BMO. The fortress has been long breached.

Anyway I am looking for positive that I may be missing, other then the ones I talked about.

Gazza
06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Good keeper?

trane
06-01-2011, 10:08 AM
^ Sure.

Carts
06-01-2011, 10:08 AM
We're GREAT at selling merchandise...

Even with the team in the doghouse - everyone has something TFC on that they purchased at the matches...

Suds
06-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Drinking!

Ossington Mental Youth
06-01-2011, 10:11 AM
better at positioning than we have ever been, look better at counter attack

Carts
06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Drinking!

And BEER TOSSING (before it was banned)...

I'll never forget that large beer, 2/3 full, tossed from about the 20th row - BANG ON THE HEAD of the PR keeper...

Best beer toss in history!!!

:D

Gazza
06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
"I liked our club in year one, because it was not pretty but it was tough, when opponents came to BMO they at least got bruised. I would like to see that again, at least in the players in our defensive box [ the two DMs and the CBs] make it tough for players to venture in, righ now people are not scared at all at BMO. The fortress has been long breached."

This is what i miss the most. If we're going to lack in talent, at least make our opponents pay for venturing into attacking areas, especially in the middle. Let them at least beat us from the periphery.

trane
06-01-2011, 10:14 AM
^ That makes me sad, seriously, when I see opponents stroll into our area, with no punishemnt, it makes me angry/sad.

Ossington,

I agree about the positioning and the counter, if that was backed up by good defenfeding to work off we would have something.

Alixir
06-01-2011, 10:17 AM
We are great at holding teams off in the last 10 minutes of a game....err wait no we suck at that aswell.
Hmmm...I would say that our strength would be consistency.....our consistent horrible play for the last 5 years.

TFCRegina
06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
We are great at holding teams off in the last 10 minutes of a game....err wait no we suck at that aswell.
Hmmm...I would say that our strength would be consistency.....our consistent horrible play for the last 5 years.

Even in that aspect we haven't been very consistent. Some games we go out and surprise everyone playing well.

And then the next 4 or 5 we just suck.

ManUtd4ever
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
The fortress mentality certainly feels like it's long gone. The atmosphere at the stadium, the confidence that the club will earn a draw at the very least, and the pride factor all seem like an afterthought at this point.

I really hope the feeling returns at some point this season, because it seems like I have left BMO Field dejected and disappointed more often this season than over the first four years combined.

Gazza
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Attendance is dwindling, but i still think we have the most passionate fucking supporter's groups in the league.

trane
06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
^ It is not the supporters, I agree, after four years, and the last 1.5 without much passion, it has to come from the field. I miss Danny, if for nothing else, the passion.

Suds
06-01-2011, 10:31 AM
OK, in all honesty I think we are attempting to play the best football in out short history. We're just being let down by so many bad poor plays during the game which we cannot recover from. (and a lack of player ability to implement the style)

trane
06-01-2011, 10:35 AM
^ I agree, but we are not playing with enough intesity and focus particullary at the back.

Like what the fuck was Gargan thinking, I cannot think of a shitier decision by a defender ever.

TFCRegina
06-01-2011, 10:52 AM
^ I agree, but we are not playing with enough intesity and focus particullary at the back.

Like what the fuck was Gargan thinking, I cannot think of a shitier decision by a defender ever.

Which one?

Yeah, we need to sort out our defensive errors. Positioning and closing down were particularly awful last game. And we still need a central attacking midfielder.

trane
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
^ The first goal in particullar. Just outstounds me how poor he was, in every way.

brad
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Seems to me like we are scoring more from open play (I might be wrong on this, just an impression).

We are best in the league at providing shot stopping practice for our keeper.

Oblio2
06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
We stand still well during "National Anthems"

Cashcleaner
06-01-2011, 11:36 AM
We used to be a very scrappy club. Not so much anymore. A bit of a shame, really.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree about the positioning and the counter, if that was backed up by good defenfeding to work off we would have something.

yeah totally
I think our lack of depth in defense is an issue, until we had to use Harden and Gargan we didnt look too bad (and dont have the worst track record with Yourassowsky, Cann, Williams, Eckersley in the back, although clearly it could/can get better, i think time to gel would have helped, next year sigh, always next year, provided we have the same pieces and have added better players, we will have a decent defense)

fetajr
06-01-2011, 11:53 AM
We are good at passing the ball back to Frei and having him boot it up the field, losing possession of the ball

We are also good at the monster throw-in's into the box when we are in the opponents 1/3 of the field

Belfast_Boy
06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
the only thing that can be called good is the keeper. the rest is below average.

C.Ronaldo
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
security is as anal as they get.

we arent even the best at throwing streamers anymore

sully
06-01-2011, 12:51 PM
good at? Being predictable.

boysblue
06-01-2011, 04:15 PM
developing talent. :scarf:

Davenport
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
TFC has no identity.
We used to be quite good at home and we had great fan support but that's going.

Juanito
06-01-2011, 09:39 PM
the only thing that can be called good is the keeper. the rest is below average.

That's about all I can think of. We don't have any outstanding players in any one position.

Plata and Soolsma may become good wingers for us, but I haven't seen enough of them for me to make that kind of judgement.

If we had the same gumption we had in the first couple of years, we would be a pretty decent squad, not great, but entertaining to watch.

Stryker
06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I think the players have appoligizing to the fans for shitting the bed down to a science.

Bars92
06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Good at cursing at the ref

nascarguy
06-02-2011, 07:50 AM
the supporter are the only good thing. If our player's were as good as our supporter there would be no stoping us.

maninb
06-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I think Winter is installing a good system, and slowly getting players that work well in that system...but we still have some poor players who won't work in ANY system (Gargan, Harden, and perhaps JDG), and until those players are replaced, and we get a dynamic DP, then we're gonna be a .500 team at best...

P-NUTZ
06-02-2011, 01:54 PM
We are getting younger??? maybe there's something positive about becoming a younger team that can grow a bit together and take advantage of some of the benefits a younger squad can bring?

I'm not saying in this or any other league a younger team is better than the right mix of ages but really, im trying to find a positive here...:o

trane
06-02-2011, 01:57 PM
^ That is a good thing if enough of those young players are good enough to be around for a while and develop.

TFC07
06-02-2011, 04:43 PM
This thread makes me feel sad! lol

I think goalkeeping is only strength TFC has been consistent with.

cmonyoureds
06-02-2011, 08:54 PM
We are really, really, really good at making money for the corporate coffers.

Cashcleaner
06-03-2011, 08:00 AM
We are getting younger??? maybe there's something positive about becoming a younger team that can grow a bit together and take advantage of some of the benefits a younger squad can bring?

I'm not saying in this or any other league a younger team is better than the right mix of ages but really, im trying to find a positive here...:o

^ That is a good thing if enough of those young players are good enough to be around for a while and develop.

Great points. Youth can be a great thing for a club, but like Trane alluded to, bringing in younger players will only help us if we can retain them and get as much out of them as we can, talent-wise. But speaking generally, I agree that a younger squad is a plus.

CSO_BBTB
06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
I think Winter is installing a good system, and slowly getting players that work well in that system...but we still have some poor players who won't work in ANY system (Gargan, Harden, and perhaps JDG),...

As long as MLS keeps its relatively restrictive salary cap there is going to be a niche for minimum wage players like Gargan and Harden, who are not very good but have to be used when injuries, suspensions and international callups create a void amongst the 14 or so players that are reasonably well paid and good enough to start regularly. Don't think they are the major issue right now.

The key problems are that money from TFC's 2011 salary budget is being used to pay Barrett and DeRosario to play for other MLS teams, the continued presence on guaranteed deals of an underperforming DP and an unsettled centre back who were signed by the previous regime, and the disappointing return so far from the hastily arranged Stevanovic loan deal. The time to judge the new regime will be when Winter and Mariner have had two more transfer windows to fully revamp the spine of the team by getting in players they actually want who fit into their system.

Last year people decided they weren't going to take it any more before Preki had been able to complete his revamp. What things could wind up being like next season if that happens again at season ticket renewal time this season and things swing away in a radically different direction in terms of tactical philosophy for the third offseason in a row doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm not sold on Winter's system and approach as being the right one for success in MLS (no name coaches with low profile players who buy into a relatively uninspiring system based on hard work is what tends to get the job done but many/most TFC fans seem to have higher aspirations than that) but once an organization commits to a new direction tactically to the extent they are talking about having it as a guiding principle from U-14 level onwards they have to give it a chance to fully take shape before pushing the panic button and discarding it. Otherwise they will wind up losing all credibility and it will be very difficult to attract all but the most desperate out of work coaches in future.

Stouffville_RPB
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
We (supporters) are good at bitching and complaining.

We complain we don't win so we go out and sign a coach that had some MLS success (Preki) and we complain that we aren't playing attractive football.

TFC goes out and signs someone who wants to play beautiful football and now there are people here saying they wish we were physical (which is the exact style of the coach we just fired). The bitching and moaning is what we're good at. I'm tired of people always complaining.

Now to get back on track with trane's topic.

For a squad in the biggest transition you can go possibly go through in football (in terms of style of play) it is going to take some time before we are good at a lot of things. With that in mind these are things that have improved in my opinion under Winter and are things that can very well lead us to being good in general in the league.

- I think that we are good at trying to get the ball out to the wings in the attack. Something that we have never really done and now do regularly.
- Keeping the ball on the ground. Compared to past years where our first option was to hoof it up field we are looking for more sensible options.
- Overlapping runs from the FB. More than ever we have fullbacks that are joining the attack but also have the ability to provide more than just numbers when in the opponents final 1/3.
- Movement off the ball has improved significantly. It isn't where it ultimately needs to be but they aren't pylons out there anymore.
- Ability to strike from almost anywhere. Take a look at some of the goals we've scored and they don't all come from inside the box or from one area of the pitch. Opponents can't take space for granted.

As I said going from a purely physical bruising grinder type style to a fluid technical one, not exactly an easy transition.

trane
06-03-2011, 02:29 PM
^ I agree with that.

I will say this in any style of play, even in the classic 4-3-3, the midle has to be protected and the midle of your box in particular has to be protected, wanting players that fight hard, in the midle is not against the overall scheme of were we are trying to get.

As an example some of the best and toughest CDMs in the game today are Dutch, and some of the most physical CF have been dutch, the midle of the box is gold. you get free reign in there as an attacker and you will likely have your way with the other team.

Marvin
06-03-2011, 07:15 PM
security is as anal as they get.

you likely haven't been to many football matches outside of toronto then i'm guessing. ;)

123 elite
06-03-2011, 09:29 PM
After 4 plus years, I am struggling to find an aspect of the game that we excel at. We do not defend well, we do not hold on to the ball well, we are not tacticaly aware, we are not particullarly physical, we do notplay hard, we are not good going forward.

However, I think we have improved somewhat at holding shape, we seem to be more tacticaly aware then in previous years, and we move the ball around better and the players move better of the ball. However it is still not producing results. What else?

Sorry this makes no sense. You are either good / moderately good or you are not. End of. You dont get mcDonalds saying well we have rubbish fries and our burgers are terrible and the ketchup tastes like paint and the coke is like sugared dishwater but that red colour on the logo is pretty good.
I see where you are coming from but it just doesn't work like that in soccer. And we are tactically useless more than we have ever been. And i couldn't give a shit any more. And i am depressed that i have come to say that.:(

123 elite
06-03-2011, 09:38 PM
- I think that we are good at trying to get the ball out to the wings in the attack. Something that we have never really done and now do regularly.
- Keeping the ball on the ground. Compared to past years where our first option was to hoof it up field we are looking for more sensible options.
- Overlapping runs from the FB. More than ever we have fullbacks that are joining the attack but also have the ability to provide more than just numbers when in the opponents final 1/3.
- Movement off the ball has improved significantly. It isn't where it ultimately needs to be but they aren't pylons out there anymore.
- Ability to strike from almost anywhere. Take a look at some of the goals we've scored and they don't all come from inside the box or from one area of the pitch. Opponents can't take space for granted.

Your first three points sound like you are trying to get pluses out of a bad performance by the local school under 13s sde. Your last 2 are just wrong. Movement off the ball is absolutely dreadful this season. I mean just show me how that is the case. Movement on the ball equally so. Runs into teh corner because of lack of support are the common thing. We regular struggle to even get out of our half till the ten minute mark. DC and Philly are pretty good examples of that. Ability to strike from anywhere ? Are you kidding? I'm even more depressed now.

J .
06-05-2011, 04:04 AM
I think TFC has traditionally been strong in the centre of the park dating back to Robinson and Edu. JDG and Tchani now when they are on are very solid pairing. They lack width to help and both suffer from mental lapses, but when on, they dominate.

Frei.

Eckersley, most complete RB we have had.
and accepting five year rebuild plans in a league where one solid transfer window can vault you into the playoffs.

Blixa
06-05-2011, 09:54 AM
There's no connection between fans and the team... I dunno, so many people have come through this club in the past few years that it's hard to identify with this team. We lucked out in the first two years because we had some great personalities that defined the team and created a special bond (Danny, Robbo, Brennan, Guevera and a few others). Right now we have none of that... No team is scared of visiting us anymore, whereas back in 2007/8 they all crapped their pants with the thought of entering the BMO. What is there to be scared of now? A half-empty stadium?

tiberius
06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I hate to brag, and to rub the other team's noses in it but ... We have the best god damn squirrels in the MLS! (p.s. many thanks to RPB Squirrel for a great laugh!!)

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/image.php?u=1538&dateline=1266882714&type=profile (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/image.php?u=1538&dateline=1266882714&type=profile)