PDA

View Full Version : News: Lombardo Released, Hucks to SJ and Dickov to TFC?

Lucky Strike
07-04-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp

Check it out, unbelievable!

Ryan1984
07-04-2008, 04:49 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

djking2
07-04-2008, 04:49 PM
maybe

werewolf
07-04-2008, 04:51 PM
:(

I was hoping to see Lombardo tomorrow....

:lol:

London
07-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Lombardo fills a canadian roster spot and huckreby is international?

Lucky Strike
07-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Just dug up some more info: http://www.centerlinesoccer.com/http:/www.centerlinesoccer.com/huckerby-to-go-window-shopping-in-san-jose/ (http://www.centerlinesoccer.com/http:/www.centerlinesoccer.com/huckerby-to-go-window-shopping-in-san-jose/)

Apparently, Yallop is not optimistic of signing Huckerby and added that TFC "still hold all the cards".

rocker
07-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Lombardo who? oh.. that guy who can't score...

Corpand
07-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I just peed my pants. DAMMIT Hucks!!

oxygenatedbrain
07-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Just dug up some more info: http://www.centerlinesoccer.com/http:/www.centerlinesoccer.com/huckerby-to-go-window-shopping-in-san-jose/ (http://www.centerlinesoccer.com/http:/www.centerlinesoccer.com/huckerby-to-go-window-shopping-in-san-jose/)

Apparently, Yallop is not optimistic of signing Huckerby and added that TFC "still hold all the cards".

Two days ago, man...Huckerby has always envisioned MLS as California lifestyle first, football challenge second...read his interviews...

Pachuco
07-04-2008, 05:10 PM

This is two days old, that's ancient compared what The Score is saying. I really hope we didn't lose Huckerby to SJ...arrrghh

DigzTFC!
07-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, Kristian Jack usually has pretty good insight into these matters. I would believe what he says and in the article its says Huckerby will make a decision on Friday.

Can't say that I'm not disappointed in having to watch Cunny for a few more weeks. Also, I'm not that excited about Dickov.

We're making bandaid moves to our roster. We need guys to build the core of the team and signing 32+ year olds won't help in that category. I'd like find some talent at 30 years old at the very least. If we got both those strikers, Dichio could have come in when we had a lead. He is one of the best defensive forwards in the league by far.

jloome is going to lose it

dantdot
07-04-2008, 05:12 PM
If we lost Hucks barring any contractual crap you could guess why.

nfitz
07-04-2008, 05:14 PM
What on earth do we do with a 35-year old Striker?

Lucky Strike
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
This is two days old, that's ancient compared what The Score is saying. I really hope we didn't lose Huckerby to SJ...arrrghh

True, but the point is that at the very least, SJ has to deal with us if they want to sign Huckerby because we placed our discovery claim on him first. It's consolation if he doesn't come I guess.

Pachuco
07-04-2008, 05:17 PM
True, but the point is that at the very least, SJ has to deal with us if they want to sign Huckerby because we placed our discovery claim on him first. It's consolation if he doesn't come I guess.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding with discovery claims is the team either has to sign the player or move out of the way. So we don't necessarily get anything for him. Unless Mo signs him and then trades him.

Red CB Toronto
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM
I guess time for Lombardo just ran out, the talent level of this team has greatly improved this season and he just did not step up his game. He is many ways was the type of player we needed last year but not anymore.

Nuvinho
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM

hoping more allocation money and a international spot for Huckerby.

I would of been happy if we got Huckerby and Dickov, but just Dickov.......don't like that.

DigzTFC!
07-04-2008, 05:19 PM
I wonder if SJ signed him at a DP? It could be a case of more money. I mean a guy coming from England wouldn't care which is the more important club. He also has some serious injuries and would probably last 5 games with TFC. Too bad SJ is more attractive than TFC these days......worrisome as well

Mo better have a better solution to our striker dilema than Dickov. What's even more aggrivating is Ali Gerba will probably sign with SJ too......

Rocco
07-04-2008, 05:27 PM
oh man... i really hope things work out

shwade
07-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I wonder if SJ signed him at a DP? It could be a case of more money. I mean a guy coming from England wouldn't care which is the more important club. He also has some serious injuries and would probably last 5 games with TFC. Too bad SJ is more attractive than TFC these days......worrisome as well

Mo better have a better solution to our striker dilema than Dickov. What's even more aggrivating is Ali Gerba will probably sign with SJ too......

I think it's beacuse of the grass, Mo said he had a concern with the FieldTurf..that could've been the deciding factor. How could he choose SJ over T.O for any other reason? Fcuk...that's depressing.

nfitz
07-04-2008, 05:30 PM
How could he choose SJ over T.O for any other reason?Uh - climate?

RealG-TFC
07-04-2008, 05:31 PM
LOL, this is exactly what i didn't want. well I guess I can kiss the playoffs goodbye..

arbogast
07-04-2008, 05:32 PM
I think it's beacuse of the grass, Mo said he had a concern with the FieldTurf..that could've been the deciding factor. How could he choose SJ over T.O for any other reason? Fcuk...that's depressing.

California lifestyle.:noidea:

shwade
07-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Uh - climate?

He'd only have to be here from late March to October..it's not that bad here.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 05:34 PM
well that means Smith can be moved to developmental roll opening up a senior roster spot.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 05:35 PM
im not worried, Mo prob has us covered.

justin
this sucks, if true

kitchener-TFC
Lombardo released....I'm kinda pissed about this one.
I hope Huckerby looks beyond palm trees and beaches, and sees that soccer is alive in TO. I wouldn't be happy with Dickov all by himself.

jloome
I dunno.... I want the guy here, big time, but if he doesn't want to play in Canada then I certainly don't want him to either. But I doubt that's the case; it may just be the size of the offer or he might just be dead set on California.

I think after he plays a couple of times in front of the sedate soccer moms of San Jose, he'll regret it, but there ya go. And maybe Kristian's wrong, so let's wait and see.

I guarantee one thing: we'll score more goals with Dickov on the pitch, whether he's the one who scores them or not. He's tenacious like a pitbull.

DigzTFC!
07-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I just thought of something that will make you guys puke.....does that mean since we didn't get Huckerby we will trade McBride and get Ruiz and Dickov

:eek:

Artur3575
nothing is done yet lets wait and see

RealG-TFC
Fuck, why are we going for people like Dickov and Badhiperby anyways? Can't we get people from South America? Look at Guevara, he's a great player and a great deal.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Fuck, why are we going for people like Dickov and Badhiperby anyways? Can't we get another poeple from South America? Look at Guevara, he's a great player and a great deal.

Wow!
Great point!
This has never been discussed!

Yes it has.
A billion times over.
Its cuz thats where we have connections.
Who gives a fuck where our players are from just as long as they can put the ball in the back of the net.

Shaughno
07-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I just thought of something that will make you guys puke.....does that mean since we didn't get Huckerby we will trade McBride and get Ruiz and Dickov

Not a fan of either of them, but that would be a fucking dangerous partnership up front.

DigzTFC!
07-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Fuck, why are we going for people like Dickov and Badhiperby anyways? Can't we get people from South America? Look at Guevara, he's a great player and a great deal.

Well you might get your wish in Ruiz....be careful what you wish for (puke)

DigzTFC!
07-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Fuck it, lets spend the moon and go get Crespo as our DP. That's sounds a lot better doesn't it. I'm going to dream about that instead of these impending signings.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-04-2008, 05:41 PM

I know it’s a popular misconception, but Guevara isn’t South American.

Shaughno
07-04-2008, 05:42 PM
^^ Was laughing about that as well. :lol:

Pachuco
07-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Well you might get your wish in Ruiz....be careful what you wish for (puke)

Not South American either :)

jloome

Ruiz is the kind of guy you love to hate, but he'll score goals. Dickov will chip in the odd goal but will open up space and create problems for defenders that others will capitalize on.

But no, you're right, it's not the preferred scenario.

Here's one piece of optimism: Huckerby hates Ipswich, which is Frank Yallop's long-time team (be that ever grasping).

RealG-TFC
I know it’s a popular misconception, but Guevara isn’t South American.

I'm just generalizing for the people that believe that. I do not feel like giving a geography lesson.

RealG-TFC
07-04-2008, 05:45 PM
K Riuz no. I do not care if he score. He's a proven cunt. It would be like dancing with the devil.

DigzTFC!
07-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Not South American either :)

Considering I have a Colombian girlfriend, you'd think I'd be more conscious. I was hoping people would ignore my ignorance....like most of my posts hahaha

Artur3575
07-04-2008, 05:47 PM
i would take Ruiz if that means chances at playoffs and winning games

Pachuco
07-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Considering I have a Colombian girlfriend, you'd think I'd be more conscious. I was hoping people would ignore my ignorance....like most of my posts hahaha

I figured you knew, just breaking your ballz. I get your point though, let's get some latin flavor players in here. See, that works for all South/Central and North Americans :)

Shaughno
07-04-2008, 05:51 PM
i would take Ruiz if that means chances at playoffs and winning games

As I said, I hate the cunt but if he's gonna play for us and increase our chances at winning games and being a playoff contender, we'd be stupid to pass.

Raging Reggie
07-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Fuck i hope this isnt true, i want fucking Huckerby here :(

Next year we better fucking have some grass...... FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

bee dubya
07-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I can see that Huckerby might not want to play on the FieldTurf. With a bad hip, he's probably hoping that by moving to MLS he'll be able to prolong his career for a couple more years and I don't know if that will happen if he's playing on this stuff week in, week out. I wonder if Ronnie O had a word in Huckerby's ear about the turf?

I'm hoping that if this is true that Mo can turn this into a positive and try to get Ali Gerba's rights from SJ...

Nuvinho
07-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Wasn't there a rumour going around, that MLSE was considering grass over the top of the turf. If so, I am sure Mo told Huckerby this.

rocker
07-04-2008, 06:05 PM
well, hopefully he'll enjoy San Jose's field turf practice field...

RealG-TFC
07-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Wasn't there a rumour going around, that MLSE was considering grass over the top of the turf. If so, I am sure Mo told Huckerby this.

Would that not mess up the grass AND the turf?

Kickit09
07-04-2008, 06:33 PM
says a lot about our club when somebody actualy chooses san jose over toronto. its sad really... hurts me to say this but TFC is quickly becoming the Leafs of the MLS. :(:mad:

and i actualy thought MLSE might get it right with TFC :noidea: stupid me

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-04-2008, 06:38 PM
says a lot about our club when somebody actualy chooses san jose over toronto. its sad really... hurts me to say this but TFC is quickly becoming the Leafs of the MLS. :(:mad:

I’m a little discouraged too, but let’s see how this plays out. Maybe there’s someone bigger and better than Huckerby waiting in the wings.

OT - Is it just me our is the WTF smilie (:noidea:) getting a bit played?

Cambridge_Red
07-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Fuck i hope this isnt true, i want fucking Huckerby here :(

Next year we better fucking have some grass...... FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax nothing is confirmed. The plonker will be injured by the end of the season anyways..

flatpicker
07-04-2008, 07:13 PM
my head is spinning...
I want all of this to be over... I want to know who is on our team!

noochie
07-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Uh - climate?

It is northerm California bay area... it aint that much better there than here in the summer. Its not like we are talking San Diego.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe there’s someone bigger and better than Huckerby waiting in the wings.

Mo's been good at this, i wouldnt stress it too much.
I do however really hope we dont sign Ruiz, he looks to be Cunningham pt 2

Blixa
07-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Looks like we're getting... dick all.

dupont
07-04-2008, 07:25 PM

I think players love the atmosphere and fanbase here. Put in real grass and I think things would change very quickly.

noochie
07-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I won't shed tears if we lose Huckerby but the trend is alarming. CMNT, Huckerby, O'Brien (arguably), no one want to play on this shit. FFS, this is a pro club. Cut out the Mickey Mouse bullshit and put in some grass. If Sunday leagues in Febuary are more important than attracting talent to win a championship then this franchise has already lost its way.

Canadian Blue
07-04-2008, 07:28 PM
hopefully both deals fall through and we sign someone of quality

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I won't shed tears if we lose Huckerby but the trend is alarming. CMNT, Huckerby, O'Brien (arguably), no one want to play on this shit. FFS, this is a pro club. Cut out the Mickey Mouse bullshit and put in some grass. If Sunday leagues in Febuary are more important than attracting talent to win a championship then this franchise has already lost its way.

Its quite hard to argue with a statement like that

ag futbol
07-04-2008, 07:33 PM
The "we don't have connections there" arguement is relatively weak. Steve Nicol didn't have any connections to the Gambian National Team or Costa Rica, but he went out and found serviable players there. Steve Morrow as a guy from Europe didn't have any connections in South America, but he went out there and forged partnershihps.

The world is too big, our scope for a talent search is too small. How many of these guys can we bring over if they all want 200k plus? On top of that, were's the upside? Other than Ricketts we're looking like shady Acres Retirement Home.

ManUtd4ever
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I think players love the atmosphere and fanbase here. Put in real grass and I think things would change very quickly.

QFT!

Cambridge_Red
07-04-2008, 07:40 PM
The "we don't have connections there" arguement is relatively weak. Steve Nicol didn't have any connections to the Gambian National Team or Costa Rica, but he went out and found serviable players there. Steve Morrow as a guy from Europe didn't have any connections in South America, but he went out there and forged partnershihps.

The world is too big, our scope for a talent search is too small. How many of these guys can we bring over if they all want 200k plus? On top of that, were's the upside? Other than Ricketts we're looking like shady Acres Retirement Home.

Dude we have 3 British players why is everyone obsessed with this topic :deadhorse:What about Marshall, Velez and Guevara. We have many players from different places.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Jesus, give it time man, we are in year two and JUST got a scout (or senior scout or whatever his title is) this year. As of right now, judging by ALL the signings we did this season they have been through Mo and Carver, who have connections in the UK. It may be like that til the end of time and it might not be. Its too soon to say. Until then, as long as the guy can put the ball in the back of the net (or help in doing so), who fucking cares where they are from.

Kickit09
07-04-2008, 07:45 PM
If Sunday leagues in Febuary are more important than attracting talent to win a championship then this franchise has already lost its way.

yup thats MLSE :(:mad:

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Uh its still not all MLSEs fault, remember the city of toronto co owns this SSS as well and is the main reason as to why we dont have grass

noochie
07-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah I blame the City, but as the sole tenant of BMO field TFC has the clout and funding to usher in the change. They both need to make it happen.

Bobo
07-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Disappointed. Another Canadian youth gone.

sully
07-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Disappointed. Another Canadian youth gone.

in this case, it was inevitable...but I imagine there's lots of Canadian youths in the academy..

RealG-TFC
07-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I just hope he ends up going somewhere good.

DigzTFC!
07-04-2008, 08:05 PM
in this case, it was inevitable...but I imagine there's lots of Canadian youths in the academy..

It was inevitable that Lombardo would be cut/leave. The one thing that really ticks me off is that Mo doesn't replace developmental positions when people leave. We have roster spots open.

Kickit09
07-04-2008, 08:10 PM
i think the reason so many people (like me) are so impatient is because we've learned from the leafs. MLSE has the funds and resources to sign anybody they want. problem is they don’t really want to, why would they spend big bucks on a star player when the stadium is already sold out every game. its not like we have a rich sports loving owner who wants a winning team. Our owners care about one thing and one thing only: MONEY! They don’t need to win to fill the stadium. MLSE is happy with a shitty team as long as the stadium is full, just look at the leafs. Infact, I bet they prefer a shitty team because they won’t have to spend as much on salaries. Dont you guys think we would have a DP already if MLSE really wanted one and was committed to winning. Columbus has a DP for fucks sake! The reason we dont have a DP yet is because they are holding out for a name at a discount price, and that’s not going to make the team better. Welcome to the living nightmare known as MLSE.

TFC Tifoso
07-04-2008, 08:24 PM

I guess so, but it is too bad that he couldn't find some time on this team. TFC has one good forward (Dichio), a useless tit who occasionally acts as a striker (Cunningham), a striker who plays better wide right in the midfield (Smith), and one who doesn't even have his licence yet (Ibrahim). If this is true, Lombardo is getting a very raw deal here. It would've been good to see him get more than a half hour with the main team this year.

rocker
07-04-2008, 08:39 PM
well, lombardo doesn't exactly have much value. if there's youngsters on his tail (Ibrahim), and guys slightly older who are better (Smith), then he's in limbo.
People will say "why not replace Cunny with Lombardo and see what he can do." But I'd rather have somebody better than both Cunny and Lombardo.

but I want to hear from Lombardo's mouth, if he's gone. If he said "I wanted to go to Europe and Mo released me" then it's a bit of a different story.

TFC Tifoso
07-04-2008, 08:48 PM
i think the reason so many people (like me) are so impatient is because we've learned from the leafs. MLSE has the funds and resources to sign anybody they want. problem is they don’t really want to, why would they spend big bucks on a star player when the stadium is already sold out every game. its not like we have a rich sports loving owner who wants a winning team. Our owners care about one thing and one thing only: MONEY! They don’t need to win to fill the stadium. MLSE is happy with a shitty team as long as the stadium is full, just look at the leafs. Infact, I bet they prefer a shitty team because they won’t have to spend as much on salaries. Dont you guys think we would have a DP already if MLSE really wanted one and was committed to winning. Columbus has a DP for fucks sake! The reason we dont have a DP yet is because they are holding out for a name at a discount price, and that’s not going to make the team better. Welcome to the living nightmare known as MLSE.

But realistically, TFC is an entirely different situation from the Leafs and Raptors. MLSE has to worry about breaking the bank for one player with TFC. They have been throwing money away on pieces of crap for years and both the Leafs and Raptors have always had a full house. MLSE does spend money...they just spend it stupidly. Even David Beckham is making less than 10 million a season in salary money...I don't think MLSE would have a problem adding a single 3-5 million dollar employee to their payroll. Mo just has to find the talent...if he is going to go BIG with the DP, I don't think Dickov or Huckerby would fit that bill.

Cambridge_Red
07-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't want to make anyone mad but lets face reality. Lombardo is useless in the position he has been playing. I'm not bashing Canadians Im bashing Lombardo. It could be a good move if it is indeed true. I think he seriously needs to re-consider what position he plays. I think he would be way more effective in a midfield role.

TFC Tifoso
07-04-2008, 09:04 PM
well, lombardo doesn't exactly have much value. if there's youngsters on his tail (Ibrahim), and guys slightly older who are better (Smith), then he's in limbo.
People will say "why not replace Cunny with Lombardo and see what he can do." But I'd rather have somebody better than both Cunny and Lombardo.

but I want to hear from Lombardo's mouth, if he's gone. If he said "I wanted to go to Europe and Mo released me" then it's a bit of a different story.

Ibraim is probably 3+ years from getting any significant playing time with TFC, and I don't think Smith will ever be solely a striker...I wouldn't be surprised if he gets converted to the wide right mid position that he's played very well in this year. I too would rather have a player better than both to start, but i think Lombardo could've served a great role on this team as a sub or as a second striker and a Canadian spot on the roster over the next 2-3 years as Ibrahim matures.

Marco2K
07-04-2008, 09:10 PM
HA HA HA

that has to be the best comment i have ever read here on RPB. There is zero chance this guy plays anywhere else exept Eglinton Flats.

He has showed zero promise.

sad but true:taz:

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
HA HA HA

that has to be the best comment i have ever read here on RPB. There is zero chance this guy plays anywhere else exept Eglinton Flats.

^ More than a little harsh. If professional sports has taught us one thing it’s that a change of scenery can do wonders for a player. Maybe Lombardo will catch on somewhere in the USL?

Roogsy
07-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I think the USL might be a good place for Lombardo. He is with a professional club because obviously there is something there. But he needs to find someone who will bring it out. But he needs to get something going or his career will end very quickly.

werewolf
07-04-2008, 09:33 PM
HA HA HA

There is zero chance this guy plays anywhere else exept Eglinton Flats.

People probably said the same thing when DeRo couldn't get a game in 4th division Germany at a similar age.

rocker
07-04-2008, 09:35 PM
HA HA HA

I dislike lombardo but not as much as you do ;)
There are many leagues in europe and he could catch on anywhere... second division scotland maybe? ;)

the point, however, is that we need to wait and see what happened until we crucify Mo johnston for "releasing another Canadian". Personally I don't consider Lombardo a prospect anymore.

He could catch on in second divisions in Europe or the USL, but his MLS career is on hold. He's 21 years old and has scored something like 3 goals in 60 games in his career and with Canada. For a striker he has never shown promise at any level. At least Canadian prospects like Simeon Jackson have scored somewhere (although at lower levels). I believe Lombardo needs to start thinking about maybe becoming a midfielder, since his passing is decent and he works hard.

Pearce321
07-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I feel sorry for all those people I've seen at BMO wearing a Lombardo Jersey.. haha.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-05-2008, 02:38 AM
It was inevitable that Lombardo would be cut/leave. The one thing that really ticks me off is that Mo doesn't replace developmental positions when people leave. We have roster spots open.

you can thank the csa for that. Players will go to 'lesser' teams and noone will replace them because we have no system here.
Its started, however, thank TFC, the Whitecaps and the Impact. FUCK THE CSA.
Regardless, give it time (alot of time), it will happen. Until then, this is what we will see (our players going to lesser teams, it happens everywhere else, its just waaaay more evident here).

The leafs are another entity unto itself. Even then they have been tossed from one company to another. The thing thats stopping MLSE from putting a championship team together is two things 1) restrictions placed by the league (whether its salary cap or otherwise) 2) The fact we are a second year team (we are still wading through the water, no shame in that, its a fact). Id put money on the fact that we are doing better then most franchise teams in their second year,

Kickit09
07-05-2008, 01:42 PM
The leafs are another entity unto itself. Even then they have been tossed from one company to another. The thing thats stopping MLSE from putting a championship team together is two things 1) restrictions placed by the league (whether its salary cap or otherwise) 2) The fact we are a second year team (we are still wading through the water, no shame in that, its a fact). Id put money on the fact that we are doing better then most franchise teams in their second year,

leafs and TFC have the exact same owners and the exact same mentality (PROFIT ABOVE ALL)... and the salary cap has only been around for a couple years in the NHL (leafs had 30+ years without a salary cap since the last cup). and in MLS you get around the salary cap with DPs (LA has 3 for christ’s sake, and 1 of those makes 3 times the salary cap). MLSE has no excuses for the leafs or TFC.......while your right about the fact we are doing better than most 2nd year franchises, im afraid this is as good as its gonna get. :(

noochie
07-05-2008, 01:51 PM
leafs and TFC have the exact same owners and the exact same mentality (PROFIT ABOVE ALL)... and the salary cap has only been around for a couple years in the NHL (leafs had 30+ years without a salary cap since the last cup). and in MLS you get around the salary cap with DPs (LA has 3 for christ’s sake, and 1 of those makes 3 times the salary cap). MLSE has no excuses for the leafs or TFC.......while your right about the fact we are doing better than most 2nd year franchises, im afraid this is as good as its gonna get. :(

Pretty cynical viewpoint there ;)

Whereas I agree with you that profit is the driving factor behind MLSE, I would also ask... what business out there isn't? After all MLSE is not a charity. And they have spent big big dollars on crappy players over that 40 year period so what is say they don't spend the money on good ones.

No, I think the problem with the Leafs isn't the mentality that you describe, I think the answer is plain and simple: incompetent management.

I also believe that it is way to early to judge TFC in the same vein but only time will tell.

Kickit09
07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
like i said in another thread, yes i am pessimistic. but thats because of what MLSE has shown us in the past....and your right MLSE beeing a business and not a charity, but theres lots of sports teams out there who's owners actualy care about winning and will do what ever they need to do to build a championship team (unlike MLSE).

BeachRed
07-05-2008, 02:12 PM

I think you're right.

The Leafs have responded to their fans really well - that may be their biggest problem. Leaf fans love second and third line grinders - good players, sure, but this city treats them like superstars. I remember when there was a huge push for Doug Gilmour as MVP - hard-working player, no doubt, but I bet no one in Toronto remembers who actually won the MVP that year. And Leaf fans have consistently run good players out of town.

TFC fans are not Leafs fans and won't be treated like Leafs fans.

TFC07
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I think you're right.

The Leafs have responded to their fans really well - that may be their biggest problem. Leaf fans love second and third line grinders - good players, sure, but this city treats them like superstars. I remember when there was a huge push for Doug Gilmour as MVP - hard-working player, no doubt, but I bet no one in Toronto remembers who actually won the MVP that year. And Leaf fans have consistently run good players out of town.

TFC fans are not Leafs fans and won't be treated like Leafs fans.

Agreed.

People here need to stop comparing TFC to the Leafs.

Kickit09
07-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Agreed.

People here need to stop comparing TFC to the Leafs.

why? ... its hard not to compare the 2 when they have the same owners and same style of management. i think its a very vailid point.

TFC07
07-05-2008, 05:12 PM
why? ... its hard not to compare the 2 when they have the same owners and same style of management. i think its a very vailid point.

If you guys going to compare those 2, then you should also include Toronto Raptors as well. They too are owned by MLSE. How come no one here compares TFC to Toronto Raptors? If anything, TFC and Toronto Raptors have more things in common than the Leafs.

SilverSamurai
07-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I hope this isn't true. Man I miss a lot by not being in Ontario...
He took up hardly any cap space and was supposedly doing good for the reserves.
I dunno.
I'm soo out of the loop. lol

jloome
07-06-2008, 02:23 AM
http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED05%20Jul%202008%2009%3A01%3A16%3A760

Ex-City star Darrren Huckerby was expected to open talks with Toronto FC yesterday about a possible move to the Canadian MLS side.

Toronto general manager, former Scotland star Mo Johnston, said that Huckerby had some “slight concerns” about the state of the club's playing surface with regards to his injury situation, but believed they were not serious.

Huckerby, who was not offered a new deal at Norwich this summer, has been in Canada with striker Paul Dickov, released by Manchester City this week.

“We had Darren here for two or three days and he loved it as well,” Johnston said. “He's shown a major interest in coming here.”

Huckerby is also wanted by the San Jose Earthquakes and if he decided to choose California ahead of Canada, a deal would have to be thrashed out Toronto, who would receive compensation.

However, Johnston believes Huckerby has an open mind .

“We'll take it from there,” he said. “It's not a done deal. It's not a gimme that Huckerby will go to San Jose and it's not 100 per cent that he will come here. But we're interested.”

Ü QPR expect to complete the signing of Kaspars Gorkss - linked with Norwich earlier in the summer - early next week after revealing the Blackpool defender had agreed personal terms with the club.

Email A Friend (http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/feed/emailstory.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED05%20Jul%202008%2009%3A01%3A16%3A760)
Sport: Latest headlines on Evening News 24 (http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/default.aspx) http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/en24/assets/images/stock/Arrow_TwoGreen.gif (http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/default.aspx)
Norwich City and local leagues: Latest headlines on Pin (http://www.pinkun.com/)

Ossington Mental Youth
07-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Wrong its not.
MLSE is pouring money into this team where they can pour money into.

They started an Academy (which competes in the CSL)
They have hired ALOT of coaches with great past experience and are paying them good money.
They have hired scouts.

Why would they go out of their way to do such things if they didnt want the team to succeed?

As someone else mentioned. OFCOURSE THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY THEY ARE A COMPANY.
You know how you make money in sports?
YOU WIN
Look at Real Madrid, Man U, Bayern Munich (yech), Barcelona, Inter and AC Milan. They are big clubs that make a ton of money year after year on jersey sales and other ish.
Why?
BECAUSE THEY WIN
People like to support teams that win and you make alot more money as a team that wins as opposed to teams that dont. Why would MLSE sabotage a new team especially when they are trying to a) attract supporters and b) keep the ones they have?

Once again, as someone else mentioned TFC SUPPORTERS ARE NOT LEAF SUPPORTERS.

BeachRed
07-06-2008, 11:26 AM
As someone else mentioned. OFCOURSE THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY THEY ARE A COMPANY.
You know how you make money in sports?
YOU WIN

Yes, and especially if the potential is there to make even more money by winning even more.

If TFC win they can play in the CONCACAF Champions League - the further they get, the more money the team makes. If they get more and more popular, the more merchandise they can sell, and, though I hate to say it, the truth is the more demand there is for tickets the more they can raise the price - we'll need to stay in them about this.

The biggest difference between the Leafs and TFC - besides the fans - is the potential. The Leafs have maxed out their earning potential. There's just no more money to be made from the team, or the sport. Win the cup, don't win the cup, the difference in revenue is miniscule. Maybe the NHL will form some kind of Champions League with European club teams but maybe not. there's just nowhere else to go with hockey.

But for TFC, this is just the beginning. For MLSE it's just the beginning, but clearly they see the potential. The talk of buying an English team shows it. I don't think MLSE really had any idea what they were getting into with soccer - well, it was speculation and it might not have worked out - but now they see soccer will make them more money over the next thirty years than hockey will.

There's really not much to compare between the Leafs and TFC.

reggie
07-06-2008, 11:30 AM
no mlse no tfc....end of story.....

Cambridge_Red
07-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok thats settled then. No more Leafs and TFC comparisons please. It hurts my eyes to read it.

noochie
07-06-2008, 11:53 AM
:topic:

According to this blogger it seems that Huckerby may also be considering staying home altogether:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_soccerblog/2008/07/mls-transfer-sp.html

jloome
07-06-2008, 12:08 PM
:topic:

According to this blogger it seems that Huckerby may also be considering staying home altogether:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_soccerblog/2008/07/mls-transfer-sp.html

First of all they use MLS rumours as a source, so you know there's no point paying attention to it. And his "sources" in Manchester were a rumour a few days ago that he might sign for his home club, Lincoln. But given what a step down that would be for him ability-wise, how much less money it would be, and the fact that he has vowed publicly on several occasions to never play in ENgland again unless for Norwich, I think this is all just conjecture and horseshit.

Plus, I don't think Mo is bullshitting -- he probably wants real grass as much as the next guy, so if Huckerby's turf concern were major, he'd make a bigger deal of it publicly, instead of saying it's only a "slight" concern.

alexintoronto
07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I hope this isn't true. Man I miss a lot by not being in Ontario...
He took up hardly any cap space and was supposedly doing good for the reserves.
I dunno.
I'm soo out of the loop. lol

It's true. And if he thinks playing for the reserves isn't helping his development enough - then maybe it's best if he finds a team where he can get more real minutes - even if it is a lower league in Europe.

ag futbol
07-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Plus, I don't think Mo is bullshitting -- he probably wants real grass as much as the next guy, so if Huckerby's turf concern were major, he'd make a bigger deal of it publicly, instead of saying it's only a "slight" concern.

That would basically amount to shitting on his employed publicly. I doubt he'd go down that road.

Everyone knows turf is hurting the club right now, he doesn't want to blow it up even further. He's doing the right thing by understating it. When Ronnie O left because of the turf, you didn't hear much about that from the club.

dantdot
07-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Good news maybe for Huckerby here?

From San Jose's BS board:

Huckerby was at the HDC yesterday for the Chivas game. Yallop was giving him a
pre-game tour. Yallop looked really excited. Huckerby, not so much.

jloome
07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Yeah, and the highlights from the game against Chivas are pretty woeful, with a pretty spotty looking crowd.

noochie
07-06-2008, 08:21 PM

I agree with you... hence using the lead "blogger" as opposed to "article". That and the Orlando Sentinel is one of the more consistent reporting sources for MLS.

Anyhoo... in regards to the turf... I think any player could rip it all they wanted to and no other clubs would really care that much simply because that probably only alienates himself from TFC and about 2 other pro clubs worldwide. He won't be short on offers if he decided to stay home.

Jamaicanadian
07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
What's next for Lombardo????
I think he can have an impact in the CPSL!!!

Kickit09
07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
MLSE is pouring money into this team where they can pour money into.

then where is our DP? Columbus, LA, Kansas, New York, Chicago, DC all have DPs, some more than 1.... where is ours? Huckerby or Dickov? Both of those are DI$COUNT DPs!

btw, im not a leafs fan i just compare them because i see the similarities.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-07-2008, 12:50 PM
So we should sign a DP just for the sake of signing one?
Or should we sign one that will make a difference and contribute to the team?
Has it occured to you that perhaps the right DP hasnt come along yet?
Really at this point in time i think youll have a hardtime defending man management as Mo has done a fantastic job.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I have every faith in the world that MLSE will pony up the funds for a DP WHEN the proper one comes along. Nothing wrong with signing discount DPs as they can still be effective AND they leave room to sign other players and PERHAPS a real DP.

tfc_4_ever
07-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I have every faith in the world that MLSE will pony up the funds for a DP WHEN the proper one comes along. Nothing wrong with signing discount DPs as they can still be effective AND they leave room to sign other players and PERHAPS a real DP.

I agree they will dish out money whn the proper one comes aroung

Ossington Mental Youth
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
If mlse was only in it for the money they would have signed a DP regardless of who it was just for the jersey sales and they havent.
One more point to dwell on.

TicTacTabarnack
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree they will dish out money whn the proper one comes aroung

Three words - "Additional Jersey Sales"

You know when we sign a DP this will ultimately effect jersey sales in a very positive way. (i.e. That English guy playing for the LAG. BTW - Any parent that buys his kid an English Guy LAG jersey in Toronto should be shot! This is the perfect opportunity to look at your kid and say "You did not just ask me to do that!" in disbelief ... Just my opinion) :canada:

Kickit09
07-07-2008, 02:44 PM
So we should sign a DP just for the sake of signing one?
Or should we sign one that will make a difference and contribute to the team?
Has it occured to you that perhaps the right DP hasnt come along yet?
Really at this point in time i think youll have a hardtime defending man management as Mo has done a fantastic job.

i'm not criticizing Mo, he's turned the team around completely and made them respectable. and now that they are in a playoff race they need a DP to make the team better and secure that playoff spot. im actually criticizing MLSE because i have a feeling they've givin Mo a limit on the amout of cash they want to spend on a DP and thats why he's going after old discount players. If he had complete autonomy (like brian colangelo) we’d already have a hell of a DP.

TicTacTabarnack
07-07-2008, 02:47 PM
i'm not criticizing Mo, he's turned the team around completely and made them respectable. and now that they are in a playoff race they need a DP to make the team better and secure that playoff spot. im actually criticizing MLSE because i have a feeling they've givin Mo a limit on the amout of cash they want to spend on a DP and thats why he's going after old discount players. If he had complete autonomy (like brian colangelo) we’d already have a hell of a DP.

That's a valid point ... I wonder what type of Budget he's been given for the DP?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-07-2008, 02:55 PM
So you dont know for sure that MLSE has given Mo a limit on a DP signing.
There is nothing to say that this has happened either presently or in the past.
If anything signs point in the opposite direction and you want to maintain your stance.
Ok.
Sure.

Kickit09
07-07-2008, 03:03 PM
i said thats just what i think and nothing more. its just my opinion, i could be wrong. but i base it on the way MLSE loves to micro manage sports teams and things that have happened in the past.

DigzTFC!
07-07-2008, 03:19 PM

As a long time leaf supporter and a TFC fan....let it go mate

MLSE made some management issues in a market that demands playoffs every season and tried to do that. It cost the leafs their youth through trading draft picks and prospects. Thats why the leafs have sucked.....

TFC have two first round draft picks this year and had two last year and two first rounds before that. They have the youngest player in MLS in Ibbe. They sign older players because thats the nature of league at the moment.

As for the DP, TFC were in the running for Shola Ameobi up to about 2.5-3 million pounds. Thats about 5-6 million USD. Which means about one defensemen on the leafs. Big whooping deal, compared to the jersey sales, tv ratings and sponsorship MLSE can crank out for a player with a name. And you're probably wondering why MLSE would think to chase a guy like Shola because he's not a big name.....hmmm

MLSE has learned their lesson from the Raptors, seeing dividends from a great GM. So, the leafs fire JFJ and hire the Silver Fox and create a clean slate atmosphere. Mo Johnston moved himself out of a coaching position. Structure across all the organization is their new aim. Bolstering management and leaning on the expertise of the management

Stating MLSE is all about the money is pretty mindnumblingly stupid because its a business and if its not profitable, then they have to sell it to a oil tycoon or a gun runner billionaire who wants something to play with. Just admit TFC and the Raps are in good hands and let the leaf hate out of your heart.

noochie
07-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Perhaps the reason that we have not signed a DP has nothing to do with money. Moving to North America and especially Canada would not be regarded as a highly effective career move by most potenital DP's. Playing on a plastic pitch may also not help in a lot of potential cases.

Also, it doesn't make a ton of sense from a business perspective to greatly overpay for someone just to fill a spot unless there is a clear return on investment. Someone already mentioned jersey sales... I think the biggest potential is in TV contracts personally.

Either way, you need to find the best value for you money which takes time, if you are going to spend 3x what a guy is worth you need to make sure that something is lined up to pay off. They won't make any more money on ticket sales, so the revenue has to come from somewhere.

Kickit09
07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
look i HOPE im wrong. i dont want TFC to be managd like the leafs, im just saying thats what it looks like. but i do hope im wrong cuz that would be the best thing for TFC.

McBrace
07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Perhaps the reason that we have not signed a DP has nothing to do with money. Moving to North America and especially Canada would not be regarded as a highly effective career move by most potenital DP's. Playing on a plastic pitch may also not help in a lot of potential cases.

Also, it doesn't make a ton of sense from a business perspective to greatly overpay for someone just to fill a spot unless there is a clear return on investment. Someone already mentioned jersey sales... I think the biggest potential is in TV contracts personally.

Either way, you need to find the best value for you money which takes time, if you are going to spend 3x what a guy is worth you need to make sure that something is lined up to pay off. They won't make any more money on ticket sales, so the revenue has to come from somewhere.

I Agree, it also makes a difference that the seats are full every game, and the merchandise is selling well. If these things weren't happening I think a DP would have already be signed. Not saying we don't need one, or want one, just that TFC is in a unique position!

Pachuco
07-07-2008, 06:48 PM
If Lombardo has really been released, why is there no press release?

JDG
07-07-2008, 07:33 PM
If Lombardo has really been released, why is there no press release?

He has been released. I asked my contact today, and he confirmed the story.Lombardo wasn't happy about no getting any time in the starting 11, and was quite "vocal" about it.

Pachuco
07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
He has been released. I asked my contact today, and he confirmed the story.Lombardo wasn't happy about no getting any time in the starting 11, and was quite "vocal" about it.

Yeah I definately figured he'd been released since he wasn't at the Pachuca game. I guess my complaint is why the team wouldn't atleast put out a press release. They seem to every other time.

Chevy
07-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm sure they will in good time.

Derko
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
It's too bad that Lombardo was/has been released, he did show an awful lot of effort, but having said that, if he wasn't cracking the starting XI or the bench, perhaps the coaching staff didn't think Lombardo was skilled enough.
I'm sure there will be plenty of speculation as there always is when a player gets released.
Good Luck Lombardo

andyc
07-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Maybe they're waiting for him to do a quick European tour and come back with his tail between his legs... Save a couple of wasted announcements...

:D

Nuvinho
07-07-2008, 08:20 PM
They normally have press releases when they sign someone, so i'm sure when they sign someone, they will have a blurb about Lombardo leaving.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Bye bye Lombardo you won't be missed, except by the bench players to keep company...what a waste of time this guy was, absolute shite...better days ahead.

Kickit09
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Lombardo wasn't happy about no getting any time in the starting 11, and was quite "vocal" about it.

wow, i dont even think he's starting 11 on some USL teams. good riddance, we dont need a primadonna.

Northern Soul
07-07-2008, 09:55 PM

Wow...what has he done to deserve a spot in the starting 11?? Big-headed moron.

greatwhitenorf
07-07-2008, 10:26 PM
might torontofc: You have not made one positive comment on anything to do with Toronto FC. Why do you torture yourself.

Don't you have a Harry Potter book to read, or something more appropriate for a 14-year-old like yourself to do.