PDA

View Full Version : Adidas Jersey provider until 2014

Damien
07-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Just in case anyone cared to know.. Adidas will be TFC's & the entire MLS's jersey providers until 2014.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/99454e4e-16b6-11d9-a89a-00000e2511c8.html

Published: October 5 2004

Adidas-Salomon will announce a 10-year, $100m sponsorship deal of Major League Soccer in the US on Tuesday, aimed at cementing its leadership of the US football market.

The agreement comes amid fierce competition between the world number- two sporting goods maker and Nike, its larger rival, for dominance of the global football market.

The deal is an important boost for the nine-year-old US league as it attempts to popularise a game that remains a tough sell for many Americans.

Adidas will have exclusive rights to branded clothing and equipment for Major League Soccer from next season, when it will expand from 10 to 12 teams. The German company will also supply match balls, have pitchside advertising, and be the only sports brand advertised during TV broadcasts of MLS games.

arbogast
07-04-2008, 05:28 PM
crap. i'm getting tired of every team wearing the three stripes, and frankly their kit designs are uninspiring. i'd love for this league to go back to the day when every team had their own kit sponsor.

shwade
07-04-2008, 05:30 PM
crap. i'm getting tired of every team wearing the three stripes, and frankly their kit designs are uninspiring. i'd love for this league to go back to the day when every team had their own kit sponsor.

What he said.

kitchener-TFC
07-04-2008, 05:47 PM
HEAR HEAR!
I completely agree with you. I don't like watching every team have the same jerseys, although I hope that TFC will always have Adidas kits.

Nodoubtguy
07-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Can we get a Salomon kit?? It would be amazing since my name is Salomon....lol
my name on the jersey, and I wouldn't even need to pay to have it one there!!

el rojo fanatico
07-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Why can't each team seek their own deal? the MLS will have to grow up sometime.

bee dubya
07-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm not completely surprised but I thought with Seattle coming into the league that there might have been a bigger push from Nike to get in on the action.

I wouldn't mind seeing some variety in the kit design. Hopefully some of the redesigns will be a little different and not all the teams will be wearing different coloured versions of the same kit.

dupont
07-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Adidas are probably the best sports clothing designers overall but it's always good to have some competition to keep them on their toes. So maybe it would be better having each team having their own choice of company. Honestly though I don't mind too much since I am not a big Nike fan.

Torcida
07-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Boring.

ricciboy
07-04-2008, 07:30 PM
What he said.

i fucking agree

ag futbol
07-04-2008, 09:18 PM
What he said.
double that.

So tired of seeing multiple teams with very similar kits. They've been lazy in designing anything original for this league.

Let's strongly hope that next year our new jersey (it's supposed to change every two years right?) is something to talk about.

Kickit09
07-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Why can't each team seek their own deal? the MLS will have to grow up sometime.

because than each individual team would get the sponsorship money. This way, MLS gets the money.

troy1982
07-04-2008, 09:56 PM
because than each individual team would get the sponsorship money. This way, MLS gets the money.

and MLS pays the players salaries. 100 million i nothing to sneeze at people, especially for MLS in 2004 when the deal was signed.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Diversity is better. I wish teams had more freedom to present themselves as unique and distinct - kits, wesbites, merchandise, etc.

Keystone FC
07-05-2008, 03:12 AM
I'm not completely surprised but I thought with Seattle coming into the league that there might have been a bigger push from Nike to get in on the action.

I wouldn't mind seeing some variety in the kit design. Hopefully some of the redesigns will be a little different and not all the teams will be wearing different coloured versions of the same kit.

Only if Portland comes into the league before 2014 will there be a push for Nike.

Keystone FC
07-05-2008, 03:22 AM
Just in case anyone cared to know.. Adidas will be TFC's & the entire MLS's jersey providers until 2014.

Here's the thing though, Adidas or MLS could opt to extend the contract past 2014 so there may never be an end to Adidas.
I know it goes against brand marketing and company policy but since Adidas owns Reebok I would think that they would throw a few clubs their way for design and manufacturing. At least it would give the apperance of duality within the league.
I'm and Adidas fan but I have to say it seems like they really don't care about the MLS or the fans from some of the styles and merch that I have seen the past few years.
Plus, the MLS has done a sub par job of marketing with the way they handle kit releases, merch, and overall outreach of the MLS brand. Beckham and LA Galaxy not included.