PDA

View Full Version : One Horrible Result - One Future Still Cloudy

bgnewf
05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
One Horrible Result - One Future Still Cloudy

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/05/onehorribleresult/

One result, albeit a horrible one, does not a season make. Why I think TFC fans need to put the loss to Philly into some sort of perspective.

Mikey
05-30-2011, 12:38 PM
strange but I would think most people on here have 5 years of perspective, and it's not one bad result, it's one bullshit 5 year plan being replaced with another bullshit 5 year plan.

In the words of spinal tap "too much fucking perspective"

C.Ronaldo
05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
there is way too much patience from TFC fans as it is

Jeffro
05-30-2011, 01:41 PM
there is way too much patience from TFC fans as it is

That's why the stadium is half empty all the time now, too many dedicated and patient supporters.

__wowza
05-30-2011, 01:57 PM
i'll post here what i posted there:

i’ll agree to disagree here. at the beginning of the season many of us knew things would get bad, what shocks many is the varying degrees of bad. it may sound cliche, but the adage is still true: we knew there would be days like this.. we just didn’t realize there would be so many.

i’m sorry to say, but anyone who thought a CCL run, or even a playoff berth was in the works was delusional. it wasn’t even realistic to me. that’s the point i often find myself emphasizing one the RPB boards.. realism. at the beginning of the season, i set goals that i wanted to see from this team, and none of them included winning. yes, the primary goal of a team is to win, i’m not debating that. however, in a season marred by the dreaded “rebuilding” tag, i’d gladly sacrifice a winning season for signs that we’ll never have see a “rebuild” for the next decade.

the signs are there. we’re identifying problems, we’re building what looks to be the greatest academy and training facilities in the league, and we’re shedding off the shackles of previous management follies. for every person that debates that winter has brought in many of the squad members that’ve failed to perform, i have to remind them that this is his first year in the MLS. for everyone who mentions the mistakes he’s made i’ve never heard one person say we’ll be “stuck” with those mistakes akin to what we’ve heard in the past.

toronto sports franchises are shrouded in drama, but there’s hope and there’s a future for those who want to see it. i honestly believe that next season we’ll see the results we crave. the year after that a deep playoff/CCL run.
if you don’t want to pay to see a team in rebuild mode, or watch them on tv, no one’s holding a gun to your head, and no one will question your loyalty to the club; the past four years have given you the right to do that. the sooner we accept that this is indeed a rebuild year, the sooner we can all sit back, stop complaining and enjoy what we may have to look forward to next season.

Dave67
05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm feeling pretty patient. The next few weeks should tell us a lot about what the coaching staff wants to do with this team. I still believe we are screwed for points in June. June looks like a write off LA one day New England 4 days later, 10 days later back to Salt Lake, then Toronto 4 days later. That's a hell of a lot of travel for anyone. Add in call ups and we are really thin for June.

A few things that I want to see in the next 4 - 6 games.

1. No more high balls into Plata. The kids great with the ball at his feet. Every time we send him a ball in the air when he is marked we are just wasting possession.

2. Plata and Santos to take all free kicks within 35 yards. No one else.

3. No more Gargan long throws into the box. Stoke showed how effective long throws into the box can be this season. TFC is not effective at all with long throws.

4. Attakora back in the line up.

Roogsy
05-30-2011, 02:17 PM
The next few weeks should tell us a lot about what the coaching staff wants to do with this team.

Considering the relatively few number of players we will actually be able to bring in, other than a DP, I doubt any players coming in will provide any significant information about what the coaching staff wants to do.

Dave67
05-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Considering the relatively few number of players we will actually be able to bring in, other than a DP, I doubt any players coming in will provide any significant information about what the coaching staff wants to do.

I just don't think we're as broken as you do. Time will tell. I'm already surrendering for June, lets see what Aug onward brings.

Heathen
05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
I just don't think we're as broken as you do. Time will tell. I'm already surrendering for June, lets see what Aug onward brings.

Nothing should be surrendered that's the point, I'm pretty sure most of us can handle zero points from June as long as we've been competitive and given a reasonable account of ourselves.

Dave67
05-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Nothing should be surrendered that's the point, I'm pretty sure most of us can handle zero points from June as long as we've been competitive and given a reasonable account of ourselves.

I'm surrending June due to the travel schedule and who TFC plays. That's a brutal flight/time zone schedule for anyone.

Heathen
05-30-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm surrending June due to the travel schedule and who TFC plays. That's a brutal flight/time zone schedule for anyone.

So you don't even expect them to be competitive or give any kind of account of themselves?

Dave67
05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
So you don't even expect them to be competitive or give any kind of account of themselves?

Oh hell yeah, I just don't expect many points in June.

Heathen
05-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Oh hell yeah, I just don't expect many points in June.

Forget June I don't expect many points full stop any more

Derko
05-30-2011, 04:41 PM

The key to your statement here, yes it is a brutal flight/timezone schedule for anyone. Why do we feel we are the only team affected by it. I have not looked at every teams schedule, but flight times and time zones affect all teams in the MLS, no?

C.Ronaldo
05-31-2011, 08:59 AM
That's why the stadium is half empty all the time now, too many dedicated and patient supporters.

it should have been 100% empty in year 4

Empty Stadiums speak much more to MLSE than making signs

Beach_Red
05-31-2011, 09:04 AM

How broken did you think we were at the end of last season and in the off-season? For all the talk of a new "culture" this is starting to look like a fairly superficial change on top of an entrenched FO.

Section 110
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
An empty stadium would be symbolic of fans' frustration. I accept that this a rebuilding year but I don't accept the raising of ticket prices or that things are going to get better. From the top down, this whole thing is a disaster.

Despite feeling sick over it, I renewed my season tickets this year. My instincts were right - it's more of the same. Again, I accept that this is a rebuilding year but there have been no signs of improvement. The players aren't committed, certainly the FO isn't. The league is hard to watch, TFC painful. It's not worth $2000 that I could spend elsewhere.

I hope that other fans have the sense to let their tickets go. Only when that happens will there be real and positive change. If you continue to go in the short term, you are not remedying the long term. We have to hurt the one we love.

It's so sad and such a far cry from when this whole thing got rolling. It's a real shame, but not one that I am willing to be party to any longer. Call me whatever name you want, a fairweather fan, etc. I won't be played like a fool any longer by this organization. I encourage the rest of you to follow suit.

Dave67
05-31-2011, 04:43 PM
How broken did you think we were at the end of last season and in the off-season? For all the talk of a new "culture" this is starting to look like a fairly superficial change on top of an entrenched FO.

I still have blind faith in the management team. Gotta let them have another few weeks to see what player movement might happen.

I am actually assuming we can move and sign a few players. I should go find a thread on what we can and can't do this year.

Thomas
05-31-2011, 09:21 PM

Always negative. What a wind bag! Nothing wrong with some criticism, but taking into consideration your continous negative rant, you would have to ask your self: Why bother? It almost seems like it is in your interest to see TFC fail.

Brooker
05-31-2011, 09:40 PM
3. No more Gargan long throws into the box. Stoke showed how effective long throws into the box can be this season. TFC is not effective at all with long throws.

They irritate me because they aren't even long throws. I can't stand them. He just lobs it way up into the air. The reason Rory Delap's throws (god bless him) were and are still effective is they are fast and low. Gargan's are just embarrassing.