PDA

View Full Version : some positives from yesterday...

Parkdale
05-29-2011, 07:53 PM
okay, I'm going to step up and be that idiot who makes a positive thread after a shit-show of a game. Aside from that 90 minutes of pain, there were some good things yesterday. Here's mine:

- huge props to the tailgate crew and the KW Company for pulling off a kickass tailgate. The food was great (and hot) and people were starting to act like it's summertime. I know a bunch of people who needed tickets got hooked up, and a bunch of people who needed to get rid of tickets did it at minimal cost to help out RPBs. Good stuff all around.

- the raffle for the Frei jersey was a great success, and I'm happy to see that the guy who won it (okay, it was his girlfriend actually) was already wearing a Frei 'stop sign' shirt. It's great when someone who wins a prize really REALLY loves it. I just hope meeting with Frei after the match wasn't too rough a moment.

- like Always, Shoeless Joe's was super accommodating, even though we went just a hair over capacity. Thanks for being patient with the slower service, and with that prick working the door (oh wait... that was me). And to the guy who left without paying his tab WITH his small child with him..... "the bill was coming too slow" is not a reason to walk out. Next time it won't be me chasing you, it will be the real security guard. Also, thanks to Flush for helping me find that guy in such short notice. Props hombre.

- The people who run the TFC Academy games do something that TFC can't do - think on their feet! Instead of making a huge stink about the pyro that some people chose to light off, they were smart and moved all the TFC Academy supporters to the opposite side of the field, into the wasteland of old chairs where we could do our thing in peace. Smart move - I just wish TFC could roll with the punches like that. (not saying I want pyro at BMO, because I don't, but at least they addressed the issue in a smart way)

- a big NO thanks to the brutal security guard who almost rubber gloved Red Rat while bringing in the drum and them had the nerve to say "If you guys didn't bring in flares, we wouldn't have to be so strict". I ripped into him for that one, because it sure as hell wasn't Red Rat or myself doing that. Oh, and thanks to techNORB for bringing in all scotchy scotchy scotch and sharing it with me. Sharing is caring.

- thanks to all the people who waited patiently to get into Joe's for the CL final, and didn't act like crybabies (yes you, surfer dude who showed up well after the game started and just tried to walk right in). Some old British guys even tried to bribe me, and I just laughed that one off and let them in next. Good on ya!

so yeah.... there were some good things about yesterday, and they ALL had to do with this kick-ass supporters group. Toronto FC would be practically unbearable if we weren't all in this together.

Parkdale
05-29-2011, 07:56 PM
http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/052011/hater-prime.gif

haterblock: ON

Boris
05-29-2011, 08:00 PM
thanks for this thread parky.

As ive said in some pm's and other posts, its very important to note the positives. The positives that you have noted was the work of the supporters. This is why its great to have this group.

Parkdale
05-29-2011, 08:07 PM
oh shit.... and it was great to have all those red flags in the stands. Glad that came together.

celt-nick
05-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Cheers !

sashavukelich
05-29-2011, 08:23 PM
awesome Parks, lets celebrate was is STILL good about this soccer community.

DavydMT
05-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Win or Lose Local Soccer Community did very well to celebrate Love Football Day. And again thank you to all the tired people who were at the Academy game. I made some calls this morning to make sure we didn't lost anyone :-)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/250252_10150197952127334_508122333_7326999_2185500 _n.jpg

Dkolish3
05-29-2011, 08:46 PM
At least 3-4 goals came off of individual errors, things that do not accurately reflect the overall talent of the squad. We showed character and class by scoring 2 goals and controlling the game during the first 15 minutes of the second half. The last two goals came after a huge formation shift in which only Eckerseley and Williams were left to defend. While many people on the forum have complained that Winter is not motivating his players, no one can dispute that after the first half Maicon Santos played like a man who had been called out and decided to show his class. Winter instead of giving up and playing for next game, as could be argued he did after the DC United and Seattle game, decided to put on every offensive player available to him on the pitch to grab a slim hope of victory.

While many people only see the shame of a historic loss I see progress whereas before we could never see passion from our team we saw care, we may not be able to see this clearly now but besides the left fullback, and left midfield positions we now have good MLS quality players at every position.

WE HAVE GOTTEN BETTER, WE WILL SURVIVE THIS, and IF WE LEARN FROM THIS EXPERIENCE WE WILL CONQUER

Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.
William Arthur Ward (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/williamart100517.html)

It may not always love you back but I will always love :scarf:

Wull
05-29-2011, 09:11 PM
the weather was better too!

adamdz
05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
the weather was better too!

I prefer the rain. Pasty white boy burns easily ><

69Chevy396
05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
One positive from the loss, due to the crap that was on display at BMO I left early, and met a woman with great tits and legs on the steetcar pulling away from the game. Found out later she was a hooker hired by TFC for a pre game tryst with all the players, something the manager tried as a way of helping out team morale, but she left pissed off cause non of the boys could get it up.

jaahuuu
05-29-2011, 10:13 PM
- a big NO thanks to the brutal security guard who almost rubber gloved Red Rat while bringing in the drum and them had the nerve to say "If you guys didn't bring in flares, we wouldn't have to be so strict". I ripped into him for that one, because it sure as hell wasn't Red Rat or myself doing that.
I was standing several feet back and couldn't hear everything, but after giving redrat the 3rd degree didn't he ask if you were staying to watch the CL game?

I prefer the rain. Pasty white boy burns easily ><Me too, my face still hurts.

Detroit_TFC
05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Good to read this. It took me until now to summons the courage to get on the board, figured it would be a shit tsunami.

Roogsy
05-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Good to read this. It took me until now to summons the courage to get on the board, figured it would be a shit tsunami.

I experienced one of those once.

Bad sushi.

Kevvv
05-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Hell, we had a great 10 minutes or so after the break. No bugs and no rain were also very welcome. Seeing your team get pissed on while it's pissing rain is not fun. Been there, done that, got the (NYRB) t-shirt.

CretanBull
05-29-2011, 11:02 PM
so yeah.... there were some good things about yesterday, and they ALL had to do with this kick-ass supporters group. Toronto FC would be practically unbearable if we weren't all in this together.

Too true..we're a suport-group supporter's group! :D

DichioTFC
05-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks for this Parky. I was waiting for one of these to pop up, too often there is so much negativity spewed from post game thread; win lose or draw. Opening up a 'positives' thread 24 hours or so after a match should be habitual - people keep forgetting we're a supporters club. No sarcasm, no ML$E bashing, no DeRo-related comments (DeRo-related avatars are still allowed :D ).. just positives we can take moving forward out of the last match.

My positives...

1. We had some serious spark plugs. Martina, Plata, Santos, Soolsma... all of these guys had flashes of trying to push the pace. That 4th Philly goal deflation aside, those four showed great heart.

2. Frei's post-match comments. If you haven't heard them, listen to them. His words had a mix of anger, frustration, embarrassment ... but also of resilience and determination. Listening to him, I got the feeling that he never wants this to happen again, and he never wants it to happen to TFC again. Got a real sense of pride for the badge - even with 21K sarcastically applauding him he's still dedicated to the club.

3. Santos came deep to the Bunker, alone. Stood there for 30-40 seconds taking abuse. Despite it all he applauded the Bunker and pointed to the crest. I questioned Santos as our captain before but this single act proves to me that he's worthy of being our captain. I'm proud of our club's captain.

4. Second half adjustments. Whether you like Winter or not, we all have to admit that he doesn't adjust often enough. This time he had to and boy did it make a difference. This had the potential to be the greatest comeback in TFC history - as I foolishly said during halftime (3-0 down), and was confidently screaming jumping up and down after both TFC goals.

5. Return of Nana? If this doesn't bring the return of Mr. Attakora, nothing will. I'm convinced he at least needs an opportunity to prove himself. People who were at the reserve match said he was bossing the defensive side of things.

6. Lessons learned. The players all learned something about themselves, their teammates and the fans today. We've reached the breaking point in our relationship with the club and now there are two options for the Reds - give up and half-ass it until the off-season, or come back next match guns blazing and make up for this match throughout the second half of the season. We're going to learn a lot about our club in the next few weeks, and I expect nothing less but to come out the next match playing like they have a point to prove.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Not raining was huge. When it got to 2-3, for a couple of moments it looked like it was going to be an epic comeback. Got out of the house . . . Lots of pretty girls were there.

werewolf
05-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Borman with 2 lovely assists to Santos. Perfect through ball, timed and weighted on the first one, and a great cross on the turnover to Santos unmarked on the second goal.

Carts
05-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Not raining was huge. When it got to 2-3, for a couple of moments it looked like it was going to be an epic comeback. Got out of the house . . . Lots of pretty girls were there.

There was a lot of talent in the stands yesterday...

Lots of talent...

Carts...

prizby
05-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Borman with 2 lovely assists to Santos. Perfect through ball, timed and weighted on the first one, and a great cross on the turnover to Santos unmarked on the second goal.

funny cuz i am pretty sure earlier this month someone had labled Borman as a "problem" and TFC "needed to get rid of him"

Shep
05-30-2011, 12:38 AM
the main positive I took from the match was Eckersley.

otherwise the day was made awesome by the comradery, the friendliness between the Man U and Barca supporters in the pub made for a really cool atmosphere, and /respect to Parkdale for running the door!

missing the final and dealing with the public must have been the least fun way to spend the afternoon, but he helped give us all the chance to have a good time in there

TFCRegina
05-30-2011, 12:53 AM
There was a lot of talent in the stands yesterday...

Lots of talent...

Carts...

*insert joke about talent in the stands but not on the pitch here*

CretanBull
05-30-2011, 12:55 AM
funny cuz i am pretty sure earlier this month someone had labled Borman as a "problem" and TFC "needed to get rid of him"

He's terrible defensively, but he gets forward well and has shown that he can cross a ball and make a good out-let pass...it would be worth seeing what he could do as a midfielder.

Couchy81
05-30-2011, 02:28 AM
Gotta give props to Santos for sure.

We all knew deep down this was the reality of our situation at the start of the season. Sure the loss is painful.

Looking forward to the transfer window.

DichioTFC
05-30-2011, 02:32 AM

It was me. I still don't think Borman is our solution at fullback, but he seems to be effective in attack. I'm pretty sure in the thread where I lambasted Borman, I also noted his killer through ball that gave TFC a quality shot on target.

swan
05-30-2011, 05:45 AM
- the raffle for the Frei jersey was a great success, and I'm happy to see that the guy who won it (okay, it was his girlfriend actually) was already wearing a Frei 'stop sign' shirt. It's great when someone who wins a prize really REALLY loves it. I just hope meeting with Frei after the match wasn't too rough a moment.

the money for the tickets came out of my pocket i just gave them to here because i had to go pee before and didn't wanna miss it and besides we are married so there is no his and hers..lol

stuck around for about an hr after the game at gate 4 and got his sig i will post a pic later i have to go to work now..

sulfur
05-30-2011, 06:53 AM
the money for the tickets came out of my pocket i just gave them to here because i had to go pee before and didn't wanna miss it and besides we are married so there is no his and hers..lol
So, it's all hers then? ;)

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2011, 07:24 AM

Me too, my face still hurts.

Me three and I have scarf marks.

Thanks to all that picked up their Canada tix and a special thanks to anyone who played a part in helping me get enough liquid that loooooong day of football.

jabbronies
05-30-2011, 07:51 AM

stuck around for about an hr after the game at gate 4 and got his sig i will post a pic later i have to go to work now..

Keep telling yourself that....:(

Parkdale
05-30-2011, 07:57 AM

my girlfriend got a sunburn in the fog.

Nodoubtguy
05-30-2011, 07:58 AM
I was standing several feet back and couldn't hear everything, but after giving redrat the 3rd degree didn't he ask if you were staying to watch the CL game?

That part had me laughing my ass off....."Hey, I'll treat you like a dick but then try to get you to spend more money here" and when Parky and Marcel replied "no way we stay", the security guy got lippy.....what an ahole.

bones
05-30-2011, 08:40 AM
The way I saw the game, it's simply a loss due to mistakes. In the end, we achieved zero points regardless of giving up 6 goals. The first 3 were to be concerned not the last 3. Mistakes were made directly by who we had in the game and I hope Coach Winter looks long and hard at ever putting that defencive pairing out again.

The start of the second half was very promising even though we were out scored 3-2. The player changes and hard work made the difference for our 2 goals which could have easily been 3 or 4! But, when you push, you get caught and they made us pay. We didn't stop pushing (like this mentality by Winter there) and it resulted in getting caught 3 times. So in my opinion the 6 goals were a product of getting caught, nothing more.

I think some of the team were a bit gassed too. Let's see how they rebound.

Thank god I'm a supporter and not just a fan. ;)

Bones...

prizby
05-30-2011, 11:55 AM
He's terrible defensively, but he gets forward well and has shown that he can cross a ball and make a good out-let pass...it would be worth seeing what he could do as a midfielder.

he was terrible defensively because anytime he made a run Stevanovic wouldn't pass it into the open space for Borman to run onto, he would cut to the middle into 3 defenders and turn the ball over leaving Borman hanging out to dry

ExiledRed
05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Santos kissed the badge.

Watch Winter get rid of him.

Pinkie
05-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Santos kissed the badge.

Watch Winter get rid of him.

:(

i'm sad i missed that moment. but at the half i had had enough.

DichioTFC
05-30-2011, 12:42 PM
^ true fan.

DichioTFC
05-30-2011, 12:43 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/1zwkith.png

glad the Reds are determined and also glad they're appreciative of our efforts.

Nodoubtguy
05-30-2011, 12:47 PM
^ true fan.

not necessary man.....alot of people left to go to Joe's to make sure we got a seat for the CL finals. We were trying to decide when to leave to make sure we got a seat and after an embarrassing half, many had that decision made for them

Pinkie
05-30-2011, 12:55 PM
not necessary man.....alot of people left to go to Joe's to make sure we got a seat for the CL finals. We were trying to decide when to leave to make sure we got a seat and after an embarrassing half, many had that decision made for them

yeah deffo echoing sal

besides i'm not a fan...i'm a SUPPORTER ;)

pekduck
05-30-2011, 01:19 PM
true supporter stays and watch CL in BMO on jumbo-tron :D

lol j/k.

Pinkie
05-30-2011, 01:40 PM
true supporter stays and watch CL in BMO on jumbo-tron :D

lol j/k.

shit i knew there was a reason why i wasn't a true one

lmfao.

Marvin
05-30-2011, 02:10 PM
The people who run the TFC Academy games do something that TFC can't do - think on their feet! Instead of making a huge stink about the pyro that some people chose to light off, they were smart and moved all the TFC Academy supporters to the opposite side of the field, into the wasteland of old chairs where we could do our thing in peace. Smart move - I just wish TFC could roll with the punches like that. (not saying I want pyro at BMO, because I don't, but at least they addressed the issue in a smart way)

i agree with most of your other points, but this isn't true. The people who run TFC Academy had nothing to do with this, and infact were giving us a hard time after telling two separate people last week that we'd all get tickets for $10 as long as there was 20 of us or more. Then he changed his story when he got there saying no one talked to him and that it was $15, then gave in and sold books of ten tickets for $10/ticket.

after the game king dave called him out on it and made him promise to all of us that it wouldn't happen again. as far as pyro is concerned, the decision was made to go to the east stand by a few of us, not the employees or academy members. i'm hoping that in regards to ticket prices, that he will stop seeing as a money grab as this isn't the first time he has pulled the price switch stunt.

the good thing is teams like york region shooters, etc. are only more then happy to have us show up when TFC plays away from lamport and will honour group rates.

Dbl_D
05-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Not sure why we didn't, after scoring the 2, sit back and re-group, playing to tie later in the match... I'm having a bit of supporter remorse because I believe the 4 goal which was the nail in the coffin, was directly Bormans fault and I let him know it (which I never have done since, L Robert) sorry to the kids around me...

I commend his attack as he was key in the two goals scored, but he lost the ball up the field which resulted in the play turning the other way... as he stood at the half-line and as Frie f-the kick he was completely out of position... the main positive will be the true fans who will attend the next few matches...

werewolf
05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
he was terrible defensively because anytime he made a run Stevanovic wouldn't pass it into the open space for Borman to run onto, he would cut to the middle into 3 defenders and turn the ball over leaving Borman hanging out to dry

:lol: quality assessment.

He spent time in the midfield in NY, (ultimately settled in the backline) and from watching him I would say its his best position in MF. Defensively he isn't bad, and has some decent tackles, but he does get caught too high up the field sometimes, and it can't always be blamed on Stevanovic.

swan
05-30-2011, 08:16 PM
http://thumbp9-bf1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=2219736794&mid=AMslvs4AAGPfTeRAuwDP9CEZXOQ&midoffset=1_57268&partid=2&f=881&fid=Inbox

there is the sig..

the only problem is i won't wear it now.. well at least i got to wear it that day..

NeeeN
05-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Good thread Parkdale..

Besides the result at BMO the day turned out to be really good, good times at Joes pre and post, good support at the Academy game, it's was a good day.

Mark in Ottawa
05-31-2011, 02:15 PM
You guys got to spend a whole day watching footy. Some good ... Some bad.
Sounds like a good day to me.

jazzy
06-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Not sure why we didn't, after scoring the 2, sit back and re-group, playing to tie later in the match... I'm having a bit of supporter remorse because I believe the 4 goal which was the nail in the coffin, was directly Bormans fault and I let him know it (which I never have done since, L Robert) sorry to the kids around me...

I commend his attack as he was key in the two goals scored, but he lost the ball up the field which resulted in the play turning the other way... as he stood at the half-line and as Frie f-the kick he was completely out of position... the main positive will be the true fans who will attend the next few matches...

the fourth goal and also confirmed by Winter, was directly Frei's fault as much as I'd hate to say it, Frei kicked it right at the opposing player who simply passed it into free space then simply beat Frei.....Frei should have slowed down or simply kicked it away from danger, Bormans beautiful pass got us to 3-2,....I mean the majority of the players were out to lunch so, why hassle a super effort/counterattack, to try and get us back...it was the only way we had a chance and of course one is left vulnerable after such chances................