PDA

View Full Version : Harden or Garcia

TFC USA
05-28-2011, 01:20 PM
He's bad enough that this is a serious debate.

For me, as of today, Garcia has been unseated by Harden as worst defender we've ever had. Nick always had noticeable cock-ups but Harden. He's something else. At least Garcia had some sort of redemption when he moved to LB.

denime
05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Right now I would take Braz before those two pylons.

jloome
05-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I think Harden's in a class by himself. Andy Boyens was pretty fucking horrible here too, though, come to think of it. And I'm still amazed that Julius James is starting in Columbus. Let's face it, our history of shit defenders is unparalleled in MLS.

zeelaw
05-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Right now I would take Braz before those two pylons.

pfpfpfpfpttttt hahahahah Adam Braz....

Bring back Tim Regan!

Flipityflu
05-28-2011, 02:17 PM
makes you appreciate Tyrone Marshall and Todd Dunivant.

sashavukelich
05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Dunivant....such class at LB. Braz was/is terrible.

i'd take Harden for his Salary (he's only on like 40k vs Garcia 180k?)

CSO_BBTB
05-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Marco Reda and Marco Velez maybe deserve honourable mentions? Thing with Harden is he is on close to the league minimum and you get what you pay for in life. He should be no more than emergency cover. Why he played rather than Cann is something I would think merits some investigation if I were someone like John Molinaro and in a position to do so. Beyond that the biggest issue is really with the players earning the big bucks who are not delivering and that's Stevanovic and JDG right now.

profit89
05-28-2011, 02:56 PM
i take this guy over Harden/Gargan..............

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Pilon-orange.jpg/800px-Pilon-orange.jpg

TFC07
05-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Marco Reda and Marco Velez maybe deserve honourable mentions? Thing with Harden is he is on close to the league minimum and you get what you pay for in life. He should be no more than emergency cover. Why he played rather than Cann is something I would think merits some investigation if I were someone like John Molinaro and in a position to do so. Beyond that the biggest issue is really with the players earning the big bucks who are not delivering and that's Stevanovic and JDG right now.

To be fair, Cann has played every game this season so far. Maybe Winter wanted to give Cann a break?

Auzzy
05-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Yes Harden sucked today, as did Gargan. But what's amazing, is that the team just doesn't adapt to the situation either. Philly was pressing high the whole time, our defense was totally overmatched, but the midfield didn't adjust, and Winter apparently didn't try to get anyone to change their playing style. (How many fucking times are you going to try to pass the ball around in front of our own net, when Philly is pressing like they were, and our defense & keeper obviously can't handle it?)

Many times when TFC was trying to build up play out of defense, we only had a single midfielder anywhere close to the defense & making himself available. In the first half, that was an ineffective JDG, who usually had a couple of blue shirts on him if he ever got the ball. I don't even know who it was in the 2nd half. So many times, I saw two of our "attacking" midfielders almost in line with our forwards while our defense had the ball: totally useless. This squad probably isn't good enough to play 4-3-3, but it certainly isn't good enough to play 4-1-5. And IF a guy like Try Harder is on the field, you have to offer him some easy passing options.

Nowak had obviously prepared his team for this game. Philly often only left one passing choice available (on purpose), and looked to intercept that pass. Any loose balls in the middle of our half of the field, there were always a couple of Philly players there to mop them up, with no TFC player close by to control the damage. TFC's wing play was a tiny bit better than when they tried to go up the middle -- but with Gordon out, there was nobody there who could put a high cross into the net.

This is really not meant as an excuse of Harden (or Gargan). Even if Cann needed a break, I don't understand why Nana wasn't given a chance over Harden (at least for the 2nd half). However, I think it takes a special whole-team effort to make a guy as bad as Harden look even worse than he already is....

CSO_BBTB
05-28-2011, 03:23 PM
To be fair, Cann has played every game this season so far. Maybe Winter wanted to give Cann a break?

True enough that it could be that but with no games during the next two midweeks and the next game at home in a week's time it still seems like a strange one to me.

bertal
05-28-2011, 04:15 PM
garcia took a punch for all of the gta. so i'd rate him higher

DichioTFC
05-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Oh man, you could add Gargan to this mix as well.

DichioTFC
05-28-2011, 04:55 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2zqztav.png

I realized Cann didn't play after I made it, but he's made enough mistakes this year to justify being included.

pekduck
05-28-2011, 05:19 PM
release harden...

no other CB with any soccer IQ will pass the ball on the ground to the center of the midfield... 3 times.. and conceded 2 goals due to interceptions...

MartinUtd
05-28-2011, 05:40 PM
This is like going to prison and asking if I'd like it in the mouth or the ass.

rocker
05-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Gargan is awful. Should not be starting in MLS. NASL? Maybe. He can't mark anybody. He works hard but has very little skill. Occasionally can make a pass and he has a long throw. That's about it. Preki made him look decent. I'm done with him. Harden too.

I don't mind Williams (I think he's better than Nana in most ways).

I wish we had another Eckersley for the other side of the field. Ugh.

sashavukelich
05-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Aston Villa released 10 players, Portsmouth 7. Teams are dumping talent like crazy. Lets hope TFC can wise up and sign some for a change. I'd take Rohan Rickets back at this rate.

TFC07
05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Aston Villa released 10 players, Portsmouth 7. Teams are dumping talent like crazy. Lets hope TFC can wise up and sign some for a change. I'd take Rohan Rickets back at this rate.

When can TFC start signing European players?

Juanito
05-29-2011, 12:31 AM

Bless you sir .... I needed a good laugh!!

DichioTFC
05-29-2011, 01:21 AM

15 July – 14 August

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window#Current_schedules_and_exceptions

prizby
05-29-2011, 08:44 AM
we can sign 1...we have 1 international allocation as far as i know

rick titus anyone?

Huyton
05-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Damn...I was hoping for a DP before we played Skankouver.

Glenchen29
05-29-2011, 09:49 AM
How many quality players get paid 40k in this league?

prizby
05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
^wondolowski last year

Maltese Falcon
05-29-2011, 10:14 AM
haha thats good

Redcoe15
05-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Or force fed a tossed salad.

Pachuco
05-29-2011, 11:15 AM
The thing about Gargan is he's supposed to be a utility player used sparingly. Winter is trying to turn him into a full time LB. Now something I would like Winter to explain, what the fuck do you sign LBs for (Yourass and Borman) if you don't plan to start them in those positions? You know it's bad when you sign two LBs and you end up starting a utility player day in and day out in that position. You could also consider trying Nana there, I can't imagine he's worse then Gargan and he's a natural defender.

So I have no hate for Gargan because I know he tries hard and is playing out of his depth. I'm starting to question Winter's decisions though, kinda hard not to.

Pookie
05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
^ I think it may be because they don't have anyone really willing to link the mid-field with the forwards. Tchani tries. Outside of him, I'm not really fond of any of our "traditional" midfielders and their desire to make runs to transition to the attacking 3rd. So, he moves Yourassowsky up in order to encourage this link.

It seems like our most dangerous offensive forays are often led by Eckersley. I get the sense he prefers to make the run with the ball as opposed to throttling Soolsma who appears to be standing still.

Pachuco
05-29-2011, 11:54 AM
^ I think it may be because they don't have anyone really willing to link the mid-field with the forwards. Tchani tries. Outside of him, I'm not really fond of any of our "traditional" midfielders and their desire to make runs to transition to the attacking 3rd. So, he moves Yourassowsky up in order to encourage this link.

It seems like our most dangerous offensive forays are often led by Eckersley. I get the sense he prefers to make the run with the ball as opposed to throttling Soolsma who appears to be standing still.

But Stevanovic, when playing on the left side was doing a pretty good job of linking up with Borman. Then Winter decides to playing him as a forward. It doesn't work out, so he benches him. As opposed to putting him back on the left side where he had his best game with TFC. He destroyed a partnership that was starting to pick up momentum, for a reason that I just can't understand.

Pookie
05-29-2011, 11:57 AM
^ to add to that, Stevanovic tends to fall back when playing forward at times to his more natural position. I guess it is more comfortable for him but it obviously destroys the shape.

I can only guess that there is more of a "work ethic" or other issue with Stevanovic's reduced time. I too would like to see him play in the mid-field. That side with Borman and Stevanovic was working well, IMO.

Maltese Falcon
05-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Does Aki Berg play soccer? http://berdu.org/images/nhl/berg.jpg