PDA

View Full Version : Hung out to Frei!

king dave
05-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Argueably one of the worst performances I have witnessed.
And I have seen 'em all.
KD.

OurGame
05-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Bring back MO J

JuliquE
05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah.. I'd say it's about the right time for a post-game thread.

Agree.

Glenchen29
05-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Love the 115 songs at the game yesterday "we've got the busiest keeper in the league" so many more, it was great! I have great sympathy for Frei! Gargan/Harden are so slow and out of place and teams target that weekness, Williams and Eck are solid!

CretanBull
05-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Argueably one of the worst performances I have witnessed.
And I have seen 'em all.
KD.

I think that was the worst home performance for sure. I think the 5-0 loss in NY was our worst game ever though, we were actually playing for something and shit the bed the worst way.

dupont
05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I hated sitting in 105. Idiot douchebags heckling Frei the entire match. I refuse to ever sit there again.

GBV
05-29-2011, 12:05 PM
^ yeah there were some newbies in 114 shitting on frei.

i was like PARDON?

fricking hockey fans . . .

ensco
05-29-2011, 01:00 PM
I want us to sign Torsten Frings, just so we can say we have a thread when they leave called "Frings and Frei to go"

mazinn
05-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Any Goalie would of been disoriented and destroyed mentally, with 2 goals in the first 12 minutes of the game. the defence line was stinkier than crap. then came the third goal.
If i was the coach i would of change Frei, not for been bad goalie, just to comfort him and to keep his confidece for the upcoming games, he is one of the best goalies in the league or in my openion in the world as well, never seen any goalie does the high saves as good as he does

Voodooman
05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
^ By pulling him out of the game though, you are destroying his confidence and showing him that he isnt reliable.

Pachuco
05-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Any Goalie would of been disoriented and destroyed mentally, with 2 goals in the first 12 minutes of the game. the defence line was stinkier than crap. then came the third goal.
If i was the coach i would of change Frei, not for been bad goalie, just to comfort him and to keep his confidece for the upcoming games, he is one of the best goalies in the league or in my openion in the world as well, never seen any goalie does the high saves as good as he does

That's hockey stuff. Where you take out a goalie so his confidence isn't shattered. Much different in this sport where you only get 3 substitutions. To use one up on a goalie in the first half is not what I would be doing.

Pookie
05-29-2011, 03:07 PM
I want us to sign Torsten Frings, just so we can say we have a thread when they leave called "Frings and Frei to go"

There was a rumour years ago about Patrick Berger coming to the MLS. So if McQueen starts the thread, it could be...

Shakes: Berger, Frings and Frei to go

... not time for me to quit the day job

ensco
05-29-2011, 03:11 PM
There was a rumour years ago about Patrick Berger coming to the MLS. So if McQueen starts the thread, it could be...

Somehow we have to work this guy into this joke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerezo_fung_a_wing

4evared
05-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Love the 115 songs at the game yesterday "we've got the busiest keeper in the league" so many more, it was great! I have great sympathy for Frei! Gargan/Harden are so slow and out of place and teams target that weekness, Williams and Eck are solid!

I am assuming that you were in the 'hot spot' towards the top of 115.

TFC Cityboy
05-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I am assuming that you were in the 'hot spot' towards the top of 115.

lol, Kev...yeah John and i enjoyed a few wobbly pops at the tailgate as you well know so were fairly creative as a result.

We had the "losing song" of
"we never win at home, and we never win away. We lost last week and we'll lose today. We're all pissed up we don't care anyway, Toronto FC OK" and saw fit to borrow City's song of denial from seeing defeats at the likes of Northampton, Millwall, York City etc of "we are not, we're not really 'ere. we are not we're not really 'ere, just like the fans of the invisible man, we're not really 'ere"
This was all after the 5th goal, when I swear 115 was the only fuckin standing section left in the south.

John also got the rare chance to sing " we're gonna win 7-6" which was a treat.

Ya know, when your getting fucked up the arse by a 2nd year team like that, you just gotta try and make the best out of it and the the piss out of the entire pointless exercise!
Sure beats getting angry or singing songs with oles and allez in there!

TFC Cityboy
05-29-2011, 06:14 PM
oh and did I mention KUDOS to all in 115 for joining in the spirit of the songs yesterday EVEN after the 5th and 6th flew in.
Supporting football is a journey and when the glorious dawn arrives that we have a decent competitive team at TFC, I cannot imagine a better bunch of people to enjoy it with. Spontaneity in joy and gloom is a feature of 115.
You'll take me out of that section in a wooden box, feet first.

Shakes McQueen
05-29-2011, 06:17 PM

:facepalm:

...:D

- Scott

jazzy
05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I hated sitting in 105. Idiot douchebags heckling Frei the entire match. I refuse to ever sit there again.

spot on same where I was; there were 4 sth's doing the same (it was only 1-0 FFS), for the life of me why the fuck come if you're gonna shit from min 1 , on your team,and worse calling out Frei,.. thought I might have to get into it, and told them they were ridiculous,..but incredibly a family guy with his kids started into them as well, these drunk ass geezers, (not unlike myself I guess,) lol actually shut up for the whole game)....thanx too who ever this guy was....although my heart was breakin yesterday,..... yes they were shit BUT Santos, Winters and Frei knew it AND took FULL responsibility for it.......what else can you ask for after a complete ass whooping?....if it there was a simple solution every team would be unbeatable lol

jazzy
05-29-2011, 06:27 PM

not bad point and after watching Kocic yesterday at the reserves, he's ready

jazzy
05-29-2011, 06:32 PM
lol, Kev...yeah John and i enjoyed a few wobbly pops at the tailgate as you well know so were fairly creative as a result.

We had the "losing song" of
"we never win at home, and we never win away. We lost last week and we'll lose today. We're all pissed up we don't care anyway, Toronto FC OK" and saw fit to borrow City's song of denial from seeing defeats at the likes of Northampton, Millwall, York City etc of "we are not, we're not really 'ere. we are not we're not really 'ere, just like the fans of the invisible man, we're not really 'ere"
This was all after the 5th goal, when I swear 115 was the only fuckin standing section left in the south.

John also got the rare chance to sing " we're gonna win 7-6" which was a treat.

Ya know, when your getting fucked up the arse by a 2nd year team like that, you just gotta try and make the best out of it and the the piss out of the entire pointless exercise!
Sure beats getting angry or singing songs with oles and allez in there!

This is priceless..........and definitely what was needed ,...wish I could have heard it in 111............true fans IMHO.......it was so negative and near me I was waitin for gladiators to come onto the field and the people around me to give the thumbs down signal.....:o

Chevy
05-29-2011, 06:56 PM
spot on same where I was; there were 4 sth's doing the same (it was only 1-0 FFS), for the life of me why the fuck come if you're gonna shit from min 1 , on your team,and worse calling out Frei,.. thought I might have to get into it, and told them they were ridiculous,..but incredibly a family guy with his kids started into them as well, these drunk ass geezers, (not unlike myself I guess,) lol actually shut up for the whole game)....thanx too who ever this guy was....although my heart was breakin yesterday,..... yes they were shit BUT Santos, Winters and Frei knew it AND took FULL responsibility for it.......what else can you ask for after a complete ass whooping?....if it there was a simple solution every team would be unbeatable lol

Are you in 110? If so that was me shutting that a-hole down. Not the first time it's happened either.

Crazy anti-supporters come to the game decked out in their TFC wear and insult OUR players.

Parkdale
05-29-2011, 07:10 PM
"we never win at home,
and we never win away.
We lost last week and we'll lose today.
We're all pissed up we don't care anyway, Toronto FC OK"

I remember learning that one after the first Columbus invasion.
I really like that song, but WISH it wasn't always so fitting.

SlNEPHjh9xI

^ 8 minutes 40 seconds into it.

Parkdale
05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Crazy anti-supporters come to the game decked out in their TFC wear and insult OUR players.

well this is a whole 'nother issue.

Sometimes a shit performance deserves to hear some displeasure (and it's not like the players and staff don't know when they're tanking) but save it for AFTER the game or after a player gets subbed off.

and subbing frei wouldn't have made any difference - our defenders were almost letting Philly have target practice with him.

Wull
05-29-2011, 07:27 PM
oh and did I mention KUDOS to all in 115 for joining in the spirit of the songs yesterday EVEN after the 5th and 6th flew in.
Supporting football is a journey and when the glorious dawn arrives that we have a decent competitive team at TFC, I cannot imagine a better bunch of people to enjoy it with. Spontaneity in joy and gloom is a feature of 115.

Apologies for leaving just after half-time, you know how much I enjoy being miserable!! There certainly was a bit of edge to some of the noobs in 114 and 115 who decided to join in for once, it was all very British in its tone which was no bad thing even if we were getting dirty looks for heckling the main offenders. Hope I get squashed in with those girls again. Beats standing between the usual suspects!!

jazzy
05-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Are you in 110? If so that was me shutting that a-hole down. Not the first time it's happened either.

right beside in 111, they were in 110...thanx

celt-nick
05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Apologies for leaving just after half-time, you know how much I enjoy being miserable!! There certainly was a bit of edge to some of the noobs in 114 and 115 who decided to join in for once, it was all very British in its tone which was no bad thing even if we were getting dirty looks for heckling the main offenders. Hope I get squashed in with those girls again. Beats standing between the usual suspects!!

Hahahaha enjoyed being a usual suspect with ya there for a while Wull! ;) :D

CretanBull
05-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Wull and Celt-Nick together? I think history shows when Scots get together only trouble can follow :D

celt-nick
05-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Supporting football is a journey and. when the glorious dawn arrives that we have a decent competitive team at TFC, I cannot imagine a better bunch of people to enjoy it with. Spontaneity in joy and gloom is a feature of 115.

Good times City! "when the glorious dawn arrives that we have a decent competitive team at TFC"... Our day will come.

Wull
05-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Hahahaha enjoyed being a usual suspect with ya there for a while Wull! ;) :D

I actually meant John and Chris, you don't weigh half as much!!

Wull
05-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Wull and Celt-Nick together? I think history shows when Scots get together only trouble can follow :D

Unfortunately I witnessed that shite stone-cold sober so the potential for mayhem was never fully realized! T'was good to have the old uncle back though

TFC Cityboy
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM

deadringers for Stefanovic and Eckersley these 2 :)

celt-nick
05-29-2011, 08:54 PM
deadringers for Stefanovic and Eckersley these 2 :)

Hahaha. Wull, there's gotta be a way to gain from this....

Wull
05-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Hahaha. Wull, there's gotta be a way to gain from this....

let's try it out at Joe's next weekend! :hump:

lobo
05-29-2011, 09:06 PM
^ yeah there were some newbies in 114 shitting on frei.

i was like PARDON?

fricking hockey fans . . .

pardon? shitting on hockey fans?

mazinn
05-29-2011, 09:27 PM
That's hockey stuff. Where you take out a goalie so his confidence isn't shattered. Much different in this sport where you only get 3 substitutions. To use one up on a goalie in the first half is not what I would be doing.

Hocky stuff? sorry i know nothing about hocky, i was a foot ball goalie since i was 4 years old, now that iam 47, i do goalie training.
when your goalie has a non reliable defence line, you pull him out before they out score him and make him feel bad, and thats exacley what happened on saturday, after the 3rd. goal Frei was a bit shakey, that somthing you would never want to your first choice goali

Wull
05-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Hocky stuff? sorry i know nothing about hocky, i was a foot ball goalie since i was 4 years old, now that iam 47, i do goalie training.
when your goalie has a non reliable defence line, you pull him out before they out score him and make him feel bad, and thats exacley what happened on saturday, after the 3rd. goal Frei was a bit shakey, that somthing you would never want to your first choice goali

Never seen that happen in the 25 years I've been watching and playing

Brooker
05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
pardon? shitting on hockey fans?

Just insulted 90% of BMO Field. :D:D:D

mazinn
05-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Never seen that happen in the 25 years I've been watching and playing

Its something that does not happen in every game, its very rare, but when it happens , there is no difference between having a disoriented goalie, and a goalie with an injured hand or a foot, you dont want an injured goalie to attend the net. what happened on saturday,any one who watched the game and saw the 3rd. goal, and for any reason thought we can still catch up in the game, is a fool

Wull
05-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Its something that does not happen in every game, its very rare, but when it happens , there is no difference between having a disoriented goalie, and a goalie with an injured hand or a foot, you dont want an injured goalie to attend the net. what happened on saturday,any one who watched the game and saw the 3rd. goal, and for any reason thought we can still catch up in the game, is a fool

We had a fighting chance at 3-2. Unfortunately it would have taken 5 subs to do what we did AND shore up the back line

Roogsy
05-29-2011, 09:59 PM
You guys saw the look on Frei's face during and after the game right?

Convince me he is here for the long-term and isn't looking for the escape hatch out as some other players have told me people have advised him to do?

QSIM
05-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Convince me he is here for the long-term and isn't looking for the escape hatch out as some other players have told me people have advised him to do?

Yeah, his post game interview looked very sincere. He was sitting on the ground, depleted but still came across with a tone that showed he was committed to improving this club.

Wull
05-29-2011, 10:27 PM

If we don't improve, he has to go for the sake of his own development. I hope nobody here would begrudge him that.

I was more concerned about the look on Eckersley's face at half time. He was getting tore into 3 stooges he was sharing a back line with. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a clear the air session this morning or whenever they're next at training

Roogsy
05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Yeah, his post game interview looked very sincere. He was sitting on the ground, depleted but still came across with a tone that showed he was committed to improving this club.

Sincerity and wishing for the best for TFC is something I am sure Frei feels.

Staying here is not something I am quite so sure of. I can't find any reason to believe "tone" would indicate commitment unless you are looking for it. What I saw yesterday was a keeper who was tired of keeping his club in the games. He's called out his team several games now. Many are saying his development could be hampered if he stays here. If we don't realize the risk of Frei's leaving is real, it's going to hit us like a ton of bricks.

QSIM
05-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Does Frei have a proper song?

If not, I think this song is a gem (if not for him, someone in the squad...but he is definitely most deserving of a song).

Its to the tune of 'Give it Up' by KC and the Sunshine band (about 1:00 in):

AFmIau3ipbU

Its used around England quite a bit. Spurs have one for VdV, Arsenal one for Nasri, but I'm quite sure it started with Ebanks-Blake and Wolves.

wDmSRrERTMk

Anyways, I thought it could go something like:

Super Stefan Frei, STEFAN FREI, Super Stefan Frei
Na na na na na naaaa....

lobo
05-29-2011, 11:17 PM
frei needs a proper song, soon ... i like it

menefreghista
05-29-2011, 11:21 PM

I'm sure when the time comes for Frei to leave the clubs PR department will release some lies to make him look like a bad guy.

The fans will eat it up because they are so pro management.

Roogsy
05-29-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm sure when the time comes for Frei to leave the clubs PR department will release some lies to make him look like a bad guy.

I spoke with one keeper in MLS from another team and he told me that Frei's development will most definitely be hindered by staying at TFC and he thinks Frei is already getting advice to start looking elsewhere for when the time comes to bolt. He said it was too bad because in his opinion, Frei is one of, if not the best keeper in MLS.

TFCRegina
05-30-2011, 12:26 AM
I spoke with one keeper in MLS from another team and he told me that Frei's development will most definitely be hindered by staying at TFC and he thinks Frei is already getting advice to start looking elsewhere for when the time comes to bolt. He said it was too bad because in his opinion, Frei is one of, if not the best keeper in MLS.

How can he not be the best? He's developed so quickly. It happens when you see the ball more than anyone else on the pitch. Either through backpasses, set piece defense, distribution or saves.

ilikemusic
05-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Maybe there is something to be said for all the extra practice he gets playing behind our squad. He gets so many reps in ridiculous situations that soon enough every play will be routine. Once whatever merciful deity he worships grants his prayers and moves him to a squad that is not such a farcical shit-show he will be completely unflappable.

Chevy
05-30-2011, 06:47 AM

Pro-management? Really? Have you been reading these boards at all over the past five years? :facepalm:

Looks like BS and conjecture was on sale at RONA this weekend.

menefreghista
05-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Pro-management? Really? Have you been reading these boards at all over the past five years? :facepalm:

Looks like BS and conjecture was on sale at RONA this weekend.

I guess you missed the threads on De Rosario, Cann, Attakora and the 3 Academy kids.

Conjecture my ass. When push comes to shove the majority of posters side with management when it comes to player disputes.

-------------------

By the way, does anyone have any idea how long we have Frei under contract?

ensco
05-30-2011, 06:54 AM
I guess you missed the threads on De Rosario, Cann, Attakora and the 3 Academy kids.

Conjecture my ass. When push comes to shove the majority of posters side with management when it comes to player disputes.

Co-signed

Wull
05-30-2011, 07:15 AM
I disagree that we side with management. I think most of us are more concerned with the team's image and in most of those disputes, even though they may have been aiming for the FO, it's our club's name that was getting dragged through the mud again.
Most people outside of our support don't know who tom, paul, earl etc. are and coverage of them doesn't tend to extend beyond local outlets. The players, however do get reported on further afield so people tend to have a go at them more in the situation.

ensco
05-30-2011, 07:21 AM
I disagree that we side with management. I think most of us are more concerned with the team's image and in most of those disputes, even though they may have been aiming for the FO, it's our club's name that was getting dragged through the mud again.
Most people outside of our support don't know who tom, paul, earl etc. are and coverage of them doesn't tend to extend beyond local outlets. The players, however do get reported on further afield so people tend to have a go at them more in the situation.

You are splitting hairs. It comes down to the same thing, running down the players and calling them liars, while reflexively siding with the team/FO, whatever the facts may be.

I don't get this. Why does anyone think this is a religion or something, where anything that threatens the image of "Toronto FC" has to be opposed?

The way to have a better image for Toronto FC is not to reflexively side with anyone. That way eevryone knows that honourable dealings will be rewarded, dishonourable dealings won't.

Azerban
05-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Dero was done as soon as he signed that cheque
Cann ditched training camp
Nana, people are seriously wondering who he has to blow to get a start
The Academy Kids, don't think there's really enough there to blame either side

If Frei goes, it will not be the same old. Trust.

Chevy
05-30-2011, 07:26 AM
You are splitting hairs. It comes down to the same thing, running down the players and calling them liars, while reflexively siding with the team/FO, whatever the facts may be.

I don't get this. Why does anyone think this is a religion or something, where anything that threatens the image of "Toronto FC" has to be opposed?

The way to have a better image for Toronto FC is not to reflexively side with anyone. That way eevryone knows that honourable dealings will be rewarded, dishonourable dealings won't.

That's a touch harsh don't you think? One one hand you're saying we should not reflexively side with anyone (I agree with you 100%), but on the other you readily categorize those that may not take your position as 'running down the players'

Wull
05-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Attacking players isn't necessarily siding with the FO. I haven't had a go at Nana the way I did with DeRo and to a lesser extent Cann. I didn't like the way DeRo went about things so I said so. I didn't like Cann walking out with a week to go so I said so. I don't like the way Nana is being treated so I said so.

Ultimately that shirt means more to me than anyone wearing it or managing it. We got rid of the main issues for Cann and DeRo when we dumped Mo, the new management team tried to reach a compromise but couldn't. That was an attempt at honourable dealings by Winter and Mariner, this whole thing with Nana has me very concerned though

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Remember when the badge didn't equate with management?

I miss those days. Carry on....

Whoop
05-30-2011, 07:56 AM
If you don't like how some of the players go about their business, doesn't mean you side with management. And if you don't like how management goes about their business, doesn't mean you side with the players.

Ultimately the team is the most important. That's who I support. It's too bad sometimes management and players can't see that. I don't know why it has to be about "picking a side". You buy a beer, you're sided with management. You protest management, you're siding with the players.

At the end of the day, everyone just tries to cover their ass. That's sports, that's life.

But those who put the team's best interests - ahead of their own - and there are some, they get my respect.

Having said that if Frei says he wants to leave to play on a winning team, I'm not going to vilify him.

Roogsy
05-30-2011, 08:20 AM
But those who put the team's best interests - ahead of their own - and there are some, they get my respect.

And who are these people? Because if there are none, does that mean that none get your respect?

Roogsy
05-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Remember when the badge didn't equate with management?

I miss those days. Carry on....

Remember when the badge included the boys on the field?

Whoop
05-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Right now, outside of a handful of players, not many people in this organization are getting my respect.

ensco
05-30-2011, 08:48 AM
That's a touch harsh don't you think? One one hand you're saying we should not reflexively side with anyone (I agree with you 100%), but on the other you readily categorize those that may not take your position as 'running down the players'

You are right. I over-generalized. Also I agree with those who say there is much to criticize Dero for, no matter how badly he was treated.

It just galled me how Cann got treated around here, given what we know about what happened to him.

P-NUTZ
05-30-2011, 09:03 AM
tough issue here. supporting a team no matter what is something i don't do. that includes managers and players.

there comes a point or two with my favorite clubs (MLS , NFL, NHL etc) where i draw a line on repeated bad performances or mismanagement.

it does not mean i am not loyal or not a fan, it means i let em have it when they earn it - or take a break all together. I wont "trash frei" for example because he is consistantly a strong player. But i will certainly give it to some on the sideline or the pitch if i've had enough rubbish. These guys are professionals. this is thier job and are fair game - unfortunate for them when things get shitty.

support is really a personal approach for each fan IMO - but there isn't one RIGHT way to do it i guess is my point.

Roogsy
05-30-2011, 09:06 AM
tough issue here. supporting a team no matter what is something i don't do. that includes managers and players.

there comes a point or two with my favorite clubs (MLS , NFL, NHL etc) where i draw a line on repeated bad performances or mismanagement.

it does not mean i am not loyal or not a fan, it means i let em have it when they earn it - or take a break all together. I wont "trash frei" for example because he is consistantly a strong player. But i will certainly give it to some on the sideline or the pitch if i've had enough rubbish. These guys are professionals. this is thier job and are fair game - unfortunate for them when things get shitty.

support is really a personal approach for each fan IMO - but there isn't one RIGHT way to do it i guess is my point.

QFFT...

Pachuco
05-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Hinsight is very powerfull isn't it. Bet you weren't thinking it was impossible to catch up when Maicon scored the 2nd goal.

Substituting a goalie is not rare in Hockey, in a sport where you can make unlimited substitutions. Which is why I figured you were trying to take a hockey thing and use it in football. As someone else said, never seen a goalie getting pulled in the first half (unless it's due to injury) in all the years I've watched the sport.

Anyways, we'll just disagree on this one. I believe there was 8 players on the field that day that needed substitution before Frei did. If anyone's confidence should be shattered it should be the defenders and midfielders playing in that game.

Wull
05-30-2011, 09:12 AM

That might be a question better asked to the boys on the field too Roogs

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2011, 09:16 AM

The badge doesn't run around on it's own. To pretend we think that is dishonest.

Roogsy
05-30-2011, 09:17 AM
That might be a question better asked to the boys on the field too Roogs

Possibly, but Pete was more referring to the support from the stands. I have struggled understanding this concept of the badge in terms other than the actual people because I certainly don't support "institutions" and faceless entities unless I support the people in them too.

jazzy
05-30-2011, 09:31 AM

-------------------

By the way, does anyone have any idea how long we have Frei under contract?

with all due respect, I'm sure it's 90% against MLSE and 10% for, with the exact opposite #'s behind the players........There obviously always will be "owners"...but I think the majority would like them to be more of an open book, and that we are recognized as an important part of the process, which I think we all feel we deserve and are due...........I mean no fans, no game....thats blatantly obvious......................AND for anyone without blinkers on, we have seen the dreadful history with the leafs......BTW surely you wish DeRo was out there Sat,....whatever the miscontent with him

menefreghista
05-30-2011, 09:34 AM
BTW surely you wish DeRo was out there Sat

I wish De Rosario was retained. I would have even made him DP if that's what it would have taken to keep him.

And if we don't sign at least one DP in the summer window I will be pissed even more that we let De Rosario go.

Whoop
05-30-2011, 09:34 AM
But in the history of any club, players come and go. Managers come and go. Administrators come and go.

In the end the only constant is the badge. Or as Jerry Seinfeld puts it "you cheering for laundry."

Ideally the "badge" stands for something bigger than players or managers or administrators. With more historic clubs there's more to the "badge" than people. Maybe it represented a region or even a religion.

Right now that "badge" for a lack of a better term represents the city of Toronto and the supporters who helped "build" that "badge". It doesn't represent the mercenaries on the pitch or the administrators who are trying to run into the ground.

Maybe if there was ever a 2nd team in Toronto, that perhaps better represented Toronto and those who support Toronto, that club would get more support. Maybe if that club was in the suburbs it could be a suburbs vs. downtown thing.

I know people who have never gone to a game at BMO, but they want to see the team to do well because it is a reflection of the city.

The badge isn't Stefan Frei or Aron Winter, they're just here to get a paycheque. The badge is the city of Toronto, the supporters, the long suffering football community of Toronto. It's like asking what does the flag of (insert country) mean to you.

Maybe it's pie in the sky... but that's what the badge means to me.

Roogsy
05-30-2011, 09:40 AM
It's pretty general but I do understand it. It's the reaosn why despite being as negative as I have been, I still count myself as a supporter, because my ultimate goal is to pressure this team to be better than they currently are, thus giving Torontonians something to be proud of.

However, in my opinion support is not merely a vocal thing. I can say I support women's rights but maybe I am a complete chauvistic pig to "chicks" and treat the women in my life poorly. Actions back up words. And right now, the personification of that "badge" is the players, management and front office. They physically represent that which we support in spirit. Therefore, you cannot say that you support the badge and yet elements within that "badge" are ignored, mistreated or addressed.

To me, support means giving management the gears when they don't perform but also supporting them when they need the tools necessary to do their jobs and ownership interferes.

To me, support means giving players the environment to perform at their best because at the end of the day, nobody represents the "badge" moreso than the actual faces of the team.

Supporting the "badge" has to be more than a vague reference to a bigger element among us, it has to also include the actual elements WITHIN the entity.

jazzy
05-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I wish De Rosario was retained. I would have even made him DP if that's what it would have taken to keep him.

And if we don't sign at least one DP in the summer window I will be pissed even more that we let De Rosario go.

yup

I try not to be to reactionary, and even at the beginning of the year actually felt it wasn't the time to sign a DP,..(what were our actual needs)....now, however I'm totally perplexed, by some of the senior players, and quite honestly feel we have to have some sort of respectable threat on the team, cause I think we are on the verge of being a complete bottom feeder and classified as an easy 3 points IN OUR OWN STADIUM...........I really like some of the youngsters, esp those that I saw in the reserve game but 1) how they will react against seasined pros?? and 2) we need seasoned vets to show and inspire them..............man is it so hard to find a player the caliber of D.Dichio......at least for his loyalty and work effort.......btw I've backed JDG for what seems like forever......sorry it's time, $200,000 or by...AND noone has at least credited Winters for at least pulling him Sat

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Actions back up words. And right now, the personification of that "badge" is the players, management and front office. They physically represent that which we support in spirit. Therefore, you cannot say that you support the badge and yet elements within that "badge" are ignored, mistreated or addressed.

To me, support means giving management the gears when they don't perform but also supporting them when they need the tools necessary to do their jobs and ownership interferes.

To me, support means giving players the environment to perform at their best because at the end of the day, nobody represents the "badge" moreso than the actual faces of the team.

Supporting the "badge" has to be more than a vague reference to a bigger element among us, it has to also include the actual elements WITHIN the entity.

I don't think many were confused by my vague reference of a badge.

P-NUTZ
05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
i like these interpretations of "the badge". they are all interesting and relevant perspectives.

The badge can develop such power that it forces fans, players, management, press and opposition alike to expect and deliver the best.

I think about the montreal canadians, man united and yankees for examples only - it seems the badge in these cases force the team and its organizations to never settle for less. its not just about the money they spend, but what im suggesting is an expectation that badge demands - and how unforgiving and unacceptable failure generally is.

That's the ultimate power of a badge. And those truly loyal fans dont take losing very well at all because they are not supposed to.

Whoop
05-30-2011, 10:39 AM
i like these interpretations of "the badge". they are all interesting and relevant perspectives.

The badge can develop such power that it forces fans, players, management, press and opposition alike to expect and deliver the best.

I think about the montreal canadians, man united and yankees for examples only - it seems the badge in these cases force the team and its organizations to never settle for less. its not just about the money they spend, but what im suggesting is an expectation that badge demands - and how unforgiving and unacceptable failure generally is.

That's the ultimate power of a badge. And those truly loyal fans dont take losing very well at all because they are not supposed to.

Ultimately I can get behind this.

But really demanding excellence starts at the top, when has MLSE ever demanded excellence from any of their properties? From their personnel?

Fans/supporters in essence can only do so much in terms of influencing MLSE in demanding the excellence. MLSE will only respond to one thing and in reality that's an empty stadium or the threat of an empty stadium. The fan base can demand excellence but as long as a stadium/arena is filled on a year to year basis, there is no incentive for them to provide the fans with excellence.

Having a season ticket base of 2000 will have more of an effect of a letter writing campaign. Even then, given that TFC is at the bottom of the pecking order of their properties it's as if they "as long as I'm not losing money on it, I don't care."

P-NUTZ
05-30-2011, 03:17 PM
^ this could be a dangerous reality as well.

lobo
05-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Does Frei have a proper song?

If not, I think this song is a gem (if not for him, someone in the squad...but he is definitely most deserving of a song).

Its to the tune of 'Give it Up' by KC and the Sunshine band (about 1:00 in):

AFmIau3ipbU

Its used around England quite a bit. Spurs have one for VdV, Arsenal one for Nasri, but I'm quite sure it started with Ebanks-Blake and Wolves.

wDmSRrERTMk

Anyways, I thought it could go something like:

Super Stefan Frei, STEFAN FREI, Super Stefan Frei
Na na na na na naaaa....

frei needs a proper song, soon ... i like it

:topic: so how about a song for frei?