ArmenJBX
05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
At least we didn't lose.
1 point is better than 0 points.
but...
we've "won" a lot of these 1 pointers it seems... :/

kaos197O
05-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Pretty dull really but will happily take a point from it. We needed at least 1 as our next opponent back home will be tough. Philadelphia just seem to know how to win this year.

Red Skies At Night
All in all a fair result from a rather uninspiring match... but one thing I scratch my head about is stevanovic... apparently he's a good young prospect from the napoli system? I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest he could be a serie c prospect, let alone a serie a or b one.

seems a prime candidate to be moved on once others become available...

on to wednesday...

AmherstNY_TFC
It wasn't pretty, but job done on the road. Looked like the altitude finally caught up to the players about 75 min in.

bman27
We were a hand and a crossbar away from winning this one and ill take that, good to see the defense stay together when the pressure was on, and nana get a couple of minutes

TorontoGooner
Not bad. Looked pretty solid at times and we could've stolen the three points at the end.

A point away against anybody is never a bad thing

TFCRegina
05-22-2011, 08:09 PM
All in all a fair result from a rather uninspiring match... but one thing I scratch my head about is stevanovic... apparently he's a good young prospect from the napoli system? I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest he could be a serie c prospect, let alone a serie a or b one.

seems a prime candidate to be moved on once others become available...

on to wednesday...

If Napoli is in Lombardia, then yes, he's from the Napoli system. Unfortunately, Napoli is not anywhere close to Lombardia.

Note:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Italy_unification_1815_1870.jpg

You'll see Lombardy and Piedmont [he's joint owned by Inter Milan and Torino (Turin)] in the North. You'll note Napoli (Naples) is in the south.

TFC USA
05-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I'd rather watch old people fuck than this lot bore us week in and week out while producing oodles of draws and losses sprinkled in with uninspiring wins.

Terrible terrible game.

Pookie
05-22-2011, 08:10 PM
GolTV. Delivering stunning HD quality broadcasts time after time.

prizby
05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
don't fucking care

1. because i couldn't fucking watch the game thank you ML$E

2. because I rather win on wednesday...much, much more important

TFC USA
05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
My other comment sounded harsh, game was terrible to watch but the performance wasn't that bad.

Still, I'm just a grumpy old man who cannot stand the fact that we're learning "growing pains" in year #5.

Red Skies At Night
05-22-2011, 08:15 PM
If Napoli is in Lombardia, then yes, he's from the Napoli system. Unfortunately, Napoli is not anywhere close to Lombardia.

Note:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Italy_unification_1815_1870.jpg

You'll see Lombardy and Piedmont [he's joint owned by Inter Milan and Torino (Turin)] in the North. You'll note Napoli (Naples) is in the south.

not sure what your point is, unless you are a geography teacher jonesing for a lesson (or a pedagogue), but my point still stands... I don't see where he is a good prospect for Torino, let alone Inter...

rocker
05-22-2011, 08:16 PM
I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Remember, it takes two to tango and Colorado wasn't exactly doing much. Casey was almost invisible. Plata couldn't get anything going. Eckersley was very good again.

I thought TFC had slightly more good chances than Colorado (Yourass and Soolsma had great opportunities).

Given the fixture congestion, altitude, and missing 3 starters, solid result. The key now is to win at home. Road ties are good results if you're winning at home, not tying.

Pigfynn
05-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Jesus you guys...

That WAS a decent result, unlucky not to win it IMO.

Alonso
05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Jesus you guys...

Yeah, Soolsma had a sitter that should have won us the game.

Maltese Falcon
not sure what your point is, unless you are a geography teacher jonesing for a lesson (or a pedagogue), but my point still stands... I don't see where he is a good prospect for Torino, let alone Inter...
I second that...he shows glimpses of skill but I personally think he's struggling mentally right now at the fact that he's no big star in this league, which surely means he won't likely play for Inter or even Torino again

rocker
Jesus you guys...

you're right... not sure where the massive negativity is coming from. game was decent. Colorado is a good team -- certainly usually better than we are.. And it was pretty much even play until late in the game. 0-0 was a fair result.

Maltese Falcon
05-22-2011, 08:20 PM
I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Remember, it takes two to tango and Colorado wasn't exactly doing much. Casey was almost invisible. Plata couldn't get anything going. Eckersley was very good again.

I thought TFC had slightly more good chances than Colorado (Yourass and Soolsma had great opportunities).

Given the fixture congestion, altitude, and missing 3 starters, solid result. The key now is to win at home. Road ties are good results if you're winning at home, not tying.
As I said in the match thread, this was a winnable road game..there going to need to pull ahead in this close road matches to fight back into contention...and of course win at our house

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-22-2011, 08:22 PM
a point on the road in any league is a fair result.... Ill take it!

boban
05-22-2011, 08:23 PM
discuss
I bet you get a hard-on from starting these threads.

SKB
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM
The passing and play was much better in the midfield with Yourass and Stevanovic. DeGuzman is liability defensively. That is why he gets so many yellow cards. They should bench and or buy out his contract. Not sure if the team has the courage to bench their DP.

Peterson is not a good passer and has no finish. They should trade if they can.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Do people here even like Toronto FC anymore? That was a good game.

kaos197O
05-22-2011, 08:26 PM
you're right... not sure where the massive negativity is coming from. game was decent. Colorado is a good team -- certainly usually better than we are.. And it was pretty much even play until late in the game. 0-0 was a fair result.
Not sure that I see what you do but......

rocker
05-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Not sure that I see what you do but......

guess you don't read all the messages.... go back and read more closely before the point I posted ;)

"Terrible terrible game."

"don't fucking care"

"terrible to watch"

bman27
05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I bet you get a hard-on from starting these threads.

do you get a hard on acting like an internet douche? i started it cause it was five minutes after the game and no one had yet....

ag futbol
05-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I second that...he shows glimpses of skill but I personally think he's struggling mentally right now at the fact that he's no big star in this league, which surely means he won't likely play for Inter or even Torino again
I think the real issue is he has no idea when/how to use his skills to influence the game.

He's got to play within the team more, although this game was generally an improvement i thought.

Pigfynn
05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Do people here even like Toronto FC anymore? That was a good game.

:rofl:

pekduck
05-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Will take a boring 0-0 point. On Rapids bus back downtown. Its a party for them it seems

boban
05-22-2011, 08:36 PM
do you get a hard on acting like an internet douche? i started it cause it was five minutes after the game and no one had yet....
Dude, you start these post game threads all the time offeirng nothing but whatever buzz it gives you in starting a thread. next time instead of the prophetic "discuss' comment, offer some opion/thought so we can discuss of a jumping point.
never understand why people even bother starting threads only with 'discuss'.

ArmenJBX
05-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Trolls trolling trolls who troll other trolls

TFC Cityboy
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
solid away performance esp considering (or perhaps because of?) missing starters. Something to build on.

flamehawk
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Sure, it was a bore-draw, but it was a good point away from home at a tough opponent. I'd take it.

Besides, if we had put away one or two of those clear cut chances, we'd have won. So, I think it was a decent performance.

SKB
05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
I know there is a lot of talk about winning or the lack of it. But the team is getting steadily better. The passing and ball movement was is much better. Some great additions to the team so far are Eckersly, Decoy Williams.

They need to improve in the final 3rd and raise the quality. They probably need to add one better than average striker.

As well, I find the games a lot more entertaining to watch then last year under Preki.

Yourass had a good game tonight.

prizby
05-22-2011, 08:43 PM

game was decent...i would have loved to watch it thank you ML$E

Couchy81
05-22-2011, 08:45 PM
I know there is a lot of talk about winning or the lack of it. But the team is getting steadily better. The passing and ball movement was is much better. Some great additions to the team so far are Eckersly, Decoy Williams.

Agree 100%

Those are my top 2 new guys as well. Now we just need some attackers, and to beef up the bench a bit. AM + Striker should do that.

Nodoubtguy
05-22-2011, 08:45 PM
After some of the stinkers we've seen....I don't know how people can't be please with an away point against the MLS champs.

Decent play, no huge breakdowns, one bar away from a win.

Eastend
05-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Well earned point. Passing and positioning is getting better if not always consistent....but better, and I see where we're going.

torontocelt
05-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Yep I dont get the hate, TFC getting a point away from home against the champs is a great result. I do agree though that watching TFC away games is not the easiest thing in the world, I far prefer the home games.

Shep
05-22-2011, 08:54 PM
The footy was boring, IMO. But the result is decent. We had a solid chance or two, but more importantly to me, we weren't pushovers. We earned the point.

backbeat
05-22-2011, 08:55 PM
unbelievable what i'm reading here:

TFC played really well on the road - held their form and had chances

this was a solid road performance and a pretty entertaining game to watch

and an excellent result that demonstrated that Winter is developing a system with depth at each position....

Brooker
05-22-2011, 09:00 PM
away to a good team, at altitude... I thought we were going to get slaughtered but a well earned draw is fantastic. I'll drink to that any day of the week.

Also... GOLTV is worth every penny. TY ML$E. :D

Jack
05-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Guys, don't feed trolls, just report them and we'll handle the rest.

sashavukelich
05-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Jesus you guys...

exactly......any fans who say 'i don't care' about a match??? whats THAT about?! We nicked a point tonight from last seasons champions!!! that's good guys!

Shep
05-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Guys, don't feed trolls, just report them and we'll handle the rest.

Damn I fell into the trap, sry about that, there were pints involved.

Fixed my transgression :D

billyfly
05-22-2011, 09:12 PM
At least it was a draw and a point on the road.

Now do me a favour and KILL Van City on Wed.

kaos197O
05-22-2011, 09:13 PM
guess you don't read all the messages.... go back and read more closely before the point I posted ;)

"Terrible terrible game."

"don't fucking care"

"terrible to watch"
I see. 2 posters out of 14 make 3 comments and that is deemed to be MASSIVE NEGATIVITY! It's neither here nor there really I guess, I just thought that was a harsh statement given the #'s.

And as I read on it seems that more here have jumped on this same train of thought that you have. WEIRD!

v00d00daddy
05-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Dude, you start these post game threads all the time offeirng nothing but whatever buzz it gives you in starting a thread. next time instead of the prophetic "discuss' comment, offer some opion/thought so we can discuss of a jumping point.

Maybe it's just me but, this seems like a strange thing to get upset about.

Globetrotter
05-22-2011, 09:22 PM
a point on the road in any league is a fair result.... Ill take it!

A point away against anybody is never a bad thing

I have never agreed with this. It's about time that people get this foolish psychological nonsense out of their head. All it will take is a few big name coaches, or some players to pipe up and say it... but it's so ingrained in peoples minds... like a superstition.

It's nothing more than an excuse. Playing a road game and trying for a point, while only hoping to maybe win is absolutely outrageous.

Unless you win your conference, you're likely going to have to win ON THE F*ING ROAD at some point to win the championship. Odds are, the championship game won't be in your home arena either.

It's an excuse. 1 point on the road is not satisfactory, and only marginally better than 0 points for a loss. 3 points for wins is the goal, and the only option. A tie is a tie, whether no matter where you play. It's time we start drilling that into the heads of the kids, so we can wipe out this generation of thinking 1 point on the road is acceptable, or even an accomplishment. It's absolute nonsense, and you'll never change my mind on that.

TFCRegina
05-22-2011, 09:22 PM
The result was decent, the game was horrible to watch. We didn't play bad, but we weren't stellar. Likewise for Colorado. So it was pretty boring.

RedsYNWA
05-22-2011, 09:25 PM
We managed to draw the MLS champs at their house PEOPLE

Great Result, confidence is high after 2 ROAD ties going into the biggest game of Winters career on WED

Canary Canuck
05-22-2011, 09:29 PM
I think Soolsma would've scored if he'd taken that first time

Wingback6
05-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I think Soolsma would've scored if he'd taken that first time

lol.. or stayed on his feet... there was a lot of net to hit... oh well.. he seems to be getting closer to a goal every game recently... fingers crossed it happens for him soon.

Bars92
05-22-2011, 09:44 PM
I think we will smash Van on Wednesday with Tchani and Deguzman back in the lineup. Maybe start Santos or Gordon too.

Dreadlocks
05-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm happy with the result.

Team is getting better imo

KRO
05-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Huge improvement over previous away games. We had the best chances and could easily have won it. I don't know which game some of you were watching!

Flipityflu
05-22-2011, 10:06 PM
a surprising point. well done.

TorontoGooner
05-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Some people are never happy.

Even Alex Ferguson has said a point away is as good as a win at home. Until we start winning every game some people will still find the need to moan. I fully agree a winning mentality breeds winners, but so does the ability to grind out results.

Let's give the boys credit, they held on for a draw against the current champions.

69Chevy396
05-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I think we will smash Van on Wednesday with Tchani and Deguzman back in the lineup. Maybe start Santos or Gordon too.
Really? This was the most attacking midfield I have seen so far this season, with both those guys out. This was the best team effort of the season. The only sour point was Santos coming on and dreaming he was in Brazil again, his head is not in the game at all, and he seems to have nil pace. Eckersley should be signed to an extended contract before he is scooped up by a Euro team when his current loan is over, he was a dominant player tonight.

Torontotonto
05-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Jesus you guys...

Agreed.

+1 better result than -3
Bring it on home you REDS for NCC.

polak9pete
05-22-2011, 11:00 PM
does anybody know what is goin on with Bouchiba? he hasnt played at all yet is he still injured or what

mightydrm
05-22-2011, 11:23 PM
I'd rather watch old people fuck than this lot bore us week in and week out while producing oodles of draws and losses sprinkled in with uninspiring wins.

Terrible terrible game.

you are a misery, and I don't believe that you are a supporter. Good result, unlucky not to win, and you complain? Bugger off.

tfcocd
05-22-2011, 11:27 PM
The passing and play was much better in the midfield with Yourass and Stevanovic. DeGuzman is liability defensively. That is why he gets so many yellow cards. They should bench and or buy out his contract. Not sure if the team has the courage to bench their DP.

Peterson is not a good passer and has no finish. They should trade if they can.

DeGuzman may be the slowest player on TFC. I was trying to figure out who is the quickest since we moved Wynn and I now believe it is Dicoy Williams. He is fast and made a clearing tackle today they showed on the highlights (not many to choose from in a nil nil draw). His speed and Eckersley's technical ability and confidence are making the backline look solid.

rocker
05-22-2011, 11:28 PM
It's time we start drilling that into the heads of the kids, so we can wipe out this generation of thinking 1 point on the road is acceptable, or even an accomplishment. It's absolute nonsense, and you'll never change my mind on that.

Given the low odds in MLS of winning on the road, a tie is an accomplishment, whether you like that or not.

TFC wasn't playing for a tie today, that's for sure.

In all sports on the planet, the aggregate of all results shows that home teams do better than away teams. Not much can be done about it. If it was just psychology, then coaches would have figured it out by now. I suspect it has something to do with the burden of travel.

mightydrm
05-22-2011, 11:30 PM
unbelievable what i'm reading here:

TFC played really well on the road - held their form and had chances

this was a solid road performance and a pretty entertaining game to watch

and an excellent result that demonstrated that Winter is developing a system with depth at each position....

Totally agree. What is with all the misery? Sir Alex Ferguson is not coming to TFC, and Rooney isn't either. Lets applaud the good games when they come.

mightydrm
05-22-2011, 11:33 PM
I have never agreed with this. It's about time that people get this foolish psychological nonsense out of their head. All it will take is a few big name coaches, or some players to pipe up and say it... but it's so ingrained in peoples minds... like a superstition.

It's nothing more than an excuse. Playing a road game and trying for a point, while only hoping to maybe win is absolutely outrageous.

Unless you win your conference, you're likely going to have to win ON THE F*ING ROAD at some point to win the championship. Odds are, the championship game won't be in your home arena either.

It's an excuse. 1 point on the road is not satisfactory, and only marginally better than 0 points for a loss. 3 points for wins is the goal, and the only option. A tie is a tie, whether no matter where you play. It's time we start drilling that into the heads of the kids, so we can wipe out this generation of thinking 1 point on the road is acceptable, or even an accomplishment. It's absolute nonsense, and you'll never change my mind on that.
utter and complete bollocks.

andyc
05-22-2011, 11:45 PM
This was an away game at altitude on short rest. TFC looked credible and ended the game with a tie and never looked to be really under threat.

I think that an away game that the team managed to look respectable shows significant progress. Baby steps I know but I hate being embarrassed.

Tonight was a good night - Not great but good.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-23-2011, 12:12 AM
I think they controlled the first quarter of the game nicely, created, but squandered a couple of nice chances, and showed some metal on defence. I've watched every game this team has every played (not every game in the sense I was there for every preseason game and every closed door friendly), to call this game boring is quite heavy handed.

A game like this and you start to think maybe it's coming together, maybe that light at the end of the tunnel isn't another train.

TFCRegina
05-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I think they controlled the first quarter of the game nicely, created, but squandered a couple of nice chances, and showed some metal on defence. I've watched every game this team has every played (not every game in the sense I was there for every preseason game and every closed door friendly), to call this game boring is quite heavy handed.

A game like this and you start to think maybe it's coming together, maybe that light at the end of the tunnel isn't another train.

Don't deny that it seemed there was some improvement but consistency is key.

We've seen this team ride a rollercoaster before (not just this year, but every year).

I was pleased with the result today, and while the game wasn't thrilling, there were glimpses of what Winter keeps talking about. I hope it becomes more consistent but I'm very sceptical.

Looking forward to the Voyageurs Cup match.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-23-2011, 12:33 AM
If you look at in terms of the team's "history" of play on the road, this was pretty good. There have been so many games where it just looked there was no chance of them getting the result.

You're 100% right about consistency. TFC is still at the point where the next game is their biggest game of the year - every week. The midfield depth on display was good too. Interesting to think that there's still players who haven't seen the field for TFC.

Cashcleaner
05-23-2011, 02:22 AM

In theory I completely agree with you, but in terms of practicality, sometimes you have to look on the bright side when you're only able to force a draw against certain opponents.

I'll be honest and admit that Colorado isn't that sort of opponent I mean, though. Yes, people can about home pitch advantage in MLS and how it contributes to overall wins and losses, but the Rapids haven't had a stellar record recently with only one win out of the last seven games played, and scoring only three goals in that stretch. If you look at the numbers, they're certainly nothing to write home about. Anyone can look at the highlights (or should I say lowlights) of Colorado's last few games and see how mediocre and uninspired that club has looked on the pitch lately. Maybe if they did that they'd stop using the whole "bu- bu- but they're the 2010 Champions!" line, but that's for another time and place.

Anyway, against an opponent such as Dallas or LA, you need to be a little reasonable and acknowledge what sort of team you're up against. So all said, I share you're sentiment and I think it's the right attitude for the club to have, but it's never how things work out and sometimes you need to look at a draw as a bit of a moral victory at times.

DOMIN8R
05-23-2011, 05:55 AM

I'm taking the time to post, in a thread type that many RPBs typically choose to not post in, to help explain/remind registered users of the board how things typically work here.

The post game thread is opened to allow posters a single place to - as opposed to the game thread, live chat box (RPBs only) and other threads - to voice their opinion on a specific topic. Opening this thread and offering no opinion still serves a useful purpose. For instance, posters get to hate, troll, make unsubstantiated claims, pass themselves as insightful, etc - in one thread. This has the unintentional benefit of containing the irrational and comedic to one place. By doing so, the rest of us can lurk and laugh at the outrageous things people pass off as accurate and deep intuitive understanding.

Just my 2 cents.....

denime
05-23-2011, 06:27 AM
does anybody know what is goin on with Bouchiba? he hasnt played at all yet is he still injured or what

he is injured and out for a while,he will be lucky if he plays this summer at all.

Pookie
05-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Given the low odds in MLS of winning on the road, a tie is an accomplishment, whether you like that or not.

TFC wasn't playing for a tie today, that's for sure.

In all sports on the planet, the aggregate of all results shows that home teams do better than away teams. Not much can be done about it. If it was just psychology, then coaches would have figured it out by now. I suspect it has something to do with the burden of travel.

I get what you are saying but in psychology there is also the notion of the self fulfilling prophecy, you generally achieve what you expect to achieve.

If you go into a road game with the idea that a draw is good, you tend to play for it.

That's easy to say but hard to fix.

So, as a coach you could look at it from a practical standpoint. Of the 16 MLS teams last season, 4 had a record at or below .500 at home (more losses than wins). 3 more were just 2 wins above that mark meaning a loss in one of those games would put them at .500.

Practically speaking, there were 7 teams that had a relatively weak home record from which you could "expect" an opportunity to earn more than a draw.

Parkdale
05-23-2011, 07:40 AM
This has the unintentional benefit of containing the irrational and comedic to one place. By doing so, the rest of us can lurk and laugh at the outrageous things people pass off as accurate and deep intuitive understanding.

well said.

And boban, and thread that starts with an opinion is going to focus about agreeing or disagreeing with that Original Post. In a post game thread started with a simple 'discus' then it's up to the masses to determine the direction.

-----

I'm happy with the result. We got a point from the defending Champs in their home stadium, complete with all the challenges that come with it (mainly altitude).

I think that getting the point is perfectly satisfactory.

yeah yeah, it we could have won and gotten 3 points, but I'm happy to leave with the single point. It's a passing grade, and that 's exactly what "satisfactory" means. We shot par.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Happy with the tie but woulda loved a win. Second half was def more stress filled than the first. Kinda consoling we almost/coulda had a win with a lot of injuries and missing players. Surprised we didn't look more winded sooner. Still gotta work on the last 20 mins of the game, too much defense

Gazza
05-23-2011, 09:38 AM
After 5 dismal years, i guess my expectations are low, because i am very pleased with the result.

I know we could've snatched one here, but if you told me before the game it would be a nil/nil draw i would've been over the moon.

Now lets regroup and win this shit on Wednesday.

lintberg
05-23-2011, 09:46 AM
well said.

-----

I'm happy with the result. We got a point from the defending Champs in their home stadium, complete with all the challenges that come with it (mainly altitude).

I think that getting the point is perfectly satisfactory.

yeah yeah, it we could have won and gotten 3 points, but I'm happy to leave with the single point. It's a passing grade, and that 's exactly what "satisfactory" means. We shot par.

Well said! I totally agree, it was a very well earned point.

dupont
05-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I thought we looked really nice for a road game. TFC had plenty of rushes at their goal and even hit a crossbar. We looked really tired in the final 15 minutes but that is a tough stadium to play in.
It was encouraging to see the calm play throughout the game.

A.J
05-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was our second point on the road this season. So I'm quite content with a tie, I'd rather we focus on the Vancouver game on Wednesday

menefreghista
05-23-2011, 11:23 AM

He is supposedly out for 6 months. But nobody officially reported it.

But we do know he is a leader!!!!

netsan
05-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Interesting comments from Cann at the half time. He was asked about Dicoy Williams and he said that he is really good at positioning. Williams knows where to go when he doesn't have the ball. That was really revealing!

That about sums up the knock against Attakora. He is very gifted physically, but has poor soccer IQ (at least at this point in his career). He was frequently caught out of position and one step behind.

algieb
05-23-2011, 11:52 AM
good point on the road agst champs, but oh do we need a striker we can create chances but takers, santos wants to sit back and let other people do all the work never busts his ass to get into scoring positions, just seems to amble abt on the park , and is not a team player,eckerlsley imo should be moved into midfield he has drive good movement can pass more than 10 yards has an eye for goal get stevanovich out off there he looks for three players to run into seldom has a shot at goal and is another who is not a team player

icecoldbeer
05-23-2011, 12:11 PM
he is injured and out for a while,he will be lucky if he plays this summer at all.

the situation sucks, but can we not release him to use that cap space more efficiently?

bgnewf
05-23-2011, 12:29 PM

I met him at training just a little under a month ago. He was hobbling around on crutches as he recovers from surgery. He told me face to face that the earliest he expects to be recovered and possibly able to contribute on the field would be early September.

Due respect to them, but getting info out of the team regarding injuries is really really difficult.

denime
05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
the situation sucks, but can we not release him to use that cap space more efficiently?
I know he was pending surgery right at the beginning of the season,as far releasing him goes, I think we can't,because of the injury.

I don't know the labor laws in NA.

Can your employer fire you because you are sick?

Whoop
05-23-2011, 12:45 PM
No.

But couldn't TFC get cap relief for him being on the IR for a lengthy period of time?

TFCRegina
05-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I know he was pending surgery right at the beginning of the season,as far releasing him goes, I think we can't,because of the injury.

I don't know the labor laws in NA.

Can your employer fire you because you are sick?

I don't think it's possible to release injured players. No other sports league does it and they don't let you do it on Football Manager (great source, I know I know...)

denime
05-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't think it's possible to release injured players. No other sports league does it and they don't let you do it on Football Manager (great source, I know I know...)

LOL :thumbsup:

Yagbod
05-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Surprised we didn't look more winded sooner.

Agree 100%. The conditioning this year seems much better than years past. That could be personel or training, I don't know, but it definitely looks much better on the whole. Exception: the Gargan. I don't know if he is just slower than the rest or not in as good shape or if his defensive awareness is just awful (or all of the above), but he always seems to be a step or 4 behind.

Eckersley: loving his play. Agressive and really bossy on the pitch. Did anyone else notice him giving Sooslma shit last night? It looked serious.

SKB
05-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Really? This was the most attacking midfield I have seen so far this season, with both those guys out. This was the best team effort of the season. The only sour point was Santos coming on and dreaming he was in Brazil again, his head is not in the game at all, and he seems to have nil pace. Eckersley should be signed to an extended contract before he is scooped up by a Euro team when his current loan is over, he was a dominant player tonight.
Yes, I agree with you!

TFCRegina
05-23-2011, 01:28 PM

So, Nathan Sturgis was part of one of the best efforts of the season? Interesting, it seems like Earl Cochrane is a player management genius! ;) :D

Pachuco
05-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I actually thought they played pretty good last night. Certainly wasn't boring as some people are suggesting. For once I felt like we had a chance at winning the game and like we were outplaying the other team.

Having said that, please people there is no point in you saying we tied the defending champs. This is just a middle of the pack team that we tied. Tying RSL away from home would be something to boast about.

But anyways, decent game, decent result. We'll see what happens on Wednesday, but I have a bad feeling based on how unpredictable this team is.

maninb
05-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Eck, Williams, and Yourass were all great...now if Soolsma could hit a ball first time then that would have been a win...can't wait til we get Gordon back...and I'll wager Winter is getting fed up with no results from Stefanovic, for the amount they are paying him he's been a major bust....

bgnewf
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
A Phyrric Draw? - TFC Earns a Point in Denver

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/05/phyrric-draw/

Toronto FC earns an unexpected point away in Denver to the MLS Cup Champions Colorado Rapids on May 22nd.

In this video blog edition I take a quick look back at the match and pass out my usual post game plaudits. I also discuss in detail the brave “I want to win every game” approach Aron Winter appears to be taking with TFC and I ask if the well deserved road point earned was worth it considering the importance of the next home game on deck for the club.

Darlofletch
05-23-2011, 05:15 PM
It was a decent performance really. solid defensively, which we generally have been ever since we switched to the point back midfield after the seattle fiasco.

faded towards the end again though, and went with another defensive substitution which i'm not keen on, but colorado weren't good enough too take advantage.
I think fatigue's a fair excuse for that with all the games, this was 9 in 30 days, but that's why a bit of rotation wouldn't be a bad thing. we've been doing well, and then struggling in the last 30 minutes or so going back to the houston game.

sturgis and yourass were able to slot in nicely, and did well, stevanovic not so much. Gargan as well had an ok game. just like last year under preki, in a strong defensive system, he looks alright, in a more offensive system like under dasovic, or under winter to start the season, his lack of quality gets exposed. these last few games at lb, he's looked ok, a good sign that the defence and team as a whole are much better.

jloome
05-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Eckersley: loving his play. Agressive and really bossy on the pitch. Did anyone else notice him giving Sooslma shit last night? It looked serious.

Yeah, he's been excellent so far, well above MLS level. Really. I'd say he's one of the best right backs in the league.

Also convinces me this is actually just a loan, not an MLS loan-to-buy deal. No way this guy shouldn't be starting in the championship, at least.

azorean10
05-23-2011, 06:34 PM
agreed, Eckersley has been impressive....true pro with the ball. great pickup.

Don't mean to pile on JDG but the way the team looked without him, does he really make a 1.7 million $ difference? would like to see what TFC can do when they shed his contract.

jloome
05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
agreed, Eckersley has been impressive....true pro with the ball. great pickup.

Don't mean to pile on JDG but the way the team looked without him, does he really make a 1.7 million $ difference? would like to see what TFC can do when they shed his contract.

Again, it's worth noting only $400G of it goes against the cap. And Sturgis was the weak link yesterday. Worked really hard but his positioning as terrible. I figure we play that game with JDG and maybe we squeak a win.

azorean10
05-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Huh? Don't really care if 'only' 400G of his salary goes against the cap....I would like to see what else we could get for 1.7 million $, something tells me it would be a whole lot more than what we are getting from JDG at the moment.

I'm sorry, i've waited long enough with JDG, he has done shit all !

ag futbol
05-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Huh? Don't really care if 'only' 400G of his salary goes against the cap....I would like to see what else we could get for 1.7 million $, something tells me it would be a whole lot more than what we are getting from JDG at the moment.

The chances of us ever getting our monies worth ceased to exist the minute the ink was dry on that contact. It was poorly spent in the first place. He's always been a DM, who had one watershed of offensive output at the gold cup in 2007, which everyone who had a light knowledge of his game (probably Mo Johnston included) expected him to reproduce here. Was never going to happen. He was known in spain for shooting over the net FFS!

So right from the get go you might as well downgrade expectations from creative dynamo and offensive catalyst to DM. Now, I can understand why anyone who watched last year would be upset with the way he played (it was absolute ass) but this year he's been playing well, but as a holding midfielder with few extra intangibles.

azorean10
05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
well, i'll admit, he has been playing a bit better this year....but still , geez, 1.7 million $ for what be brings to the table?...I know it's ultimately mangements fault for signing him at such a ludicrous price, but I was hoping for more from JDG nonetheless, i remember that friendly he played for Canada vs Brazil, the guy played amazing.....He has just been nothing but a huge disappointment with TFC thus far.

Yohan
05-23-2011, 10:06 PM
It was a good effort and about even game, but considering TFC's horrendous road record and Colorado is never the easiest place to play in, I'm happy with the draw.

Loved a lot of hussle by the lads. There is definitely more chemistry going on between the players which leads to more confidence. Anyone noticed how confident that the lads seems to be on the ball? Seems TFC players are more composed on the ball, doing little moves to get away from pressure. I forgot who, but one player did a spin move to get away from 3 rapids players.

Got lucky with none call on clear penalty by Cann. Yourass and Williams IMO was MOM. Yourass was dangerous on breaks, making runs and such. Defence does look better with back 5 more or less set. Even Gargan seems more composed with the ball and his passes aren't going astray as much. His 1v1 defending still sucks though.

It's something to build on, and if the lads put in this kind of effort on Wed, we can take the V Cup

jloome
05-24-2011, 12:08 AM

Somewhat irrelevant. $1.7M is chump change to MLSE and we have two more DP spots we could be using. So that end of his deal isn't really germain to the issue.

ManUtd4ever
05-24-2011, 07:44 AM
I was at a cottage all weekend with no cable, internet, or blackberry reception, so I missed the game. Based on the majority of comments in this thread, I'm very pleased with the result.

2mil4dero+santo
05-24-2011, 07:59 AM
It was a good effort and about even game, but considering TFC's horrendous road record and Colorado is never the easiest place to play in, I'm happy with the draw.

Loved a lot of hussle by the lads. There is definitely more chemistry going on between the players which leads to more confidence. Anyone noticed how confident that the lads seems to be on the ball? Seems TFC players are more composed on the ball, doing little moves to get away from pressure. I forgot who, but one player did a spin move to get away from 3 rapids players.

Got lucky with none call on clear penalty by Cann. Yourass and Williams IMO was MOM. Yourass was dangerous on breaks, making runs and such. Defence does look better with back 5 more or less set. Even Gargan seems more composed with the ball and his passes aren't going astray as much. His 1v1 defending still sucks though.

It's something to build on, and if the lads put in this kind of effort on Wed, we can take the V Cup

stevanovich...

Fort York Redcoat
05-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Strange seeing Steva in the middle but he didn't seem to hate it. I still want to see more of him feeding it to Plata.

Soolsma has got to want that shot back. Clear cut opportunity wasted with sooooo much time.

The perimeter play was a bit monotonous but we haven't seen enough to play through the middle. It would be nice to have the option though. This pattern of lumping it to Plata or Martina gets old fast.

drexel10
05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Considering that those 3 players have never played together in the midfield, I think they did a better job than Peterson, JDG and Tchani. The 3 of them are better passers and were more comfortable on the ball.

Yohan
05-24-2011, 03:00 PM
stevanovich...
that was a moment of pure class. although stevanovic wasn't totally in sync with the rest of the squad offensively, he also made an excellent tackle inside the box to take away a scoring opportunity by Rapids.

Yohan
05-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Considering that those 3 players have never played together in the midfield, I think they did a better job than Peterson, JDG and Tchani. The 3 of them are better passers and were more comfortable on the ball.
yeah. replace JDG with Tchani (Tchani has way more physical presence)

ryan
05-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Yourass and Winter found a place in the MLS team of the week for this game....

Roogsy
05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Just got back and watched the game in 6. I never know if the game in 6 shows the game as it truly evolved but the impression I got was that Toronto seemed to have the run of play, which on the road is a very good thing. It seemed they could have even squeezed out 3 points with a little luck or better finishing (Soolsma with that sitter...that should have been buried in the net.)

Having watched sufficient minutes of his playing, Eckersley has been TFC's best player on an overall basis for the past month. Very pleased with him, it's unfortuante that as a loaned player we won't get a chance to build on that. He will want back in the Championship ASAP.

All in all, a point on the road is a very desireable result. Well done!