PDA

View Full Version : The TFC System according to Bob de Klerk

v00d00daddy
05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
If anyone is interested it looks as though they'll bs doing a five part series on the new system over the next five shows.

de Klerk just explained the numbering system and how TFC employ it in the
4-3-3.

Not rocket science material but it was interesting to hear exactly what the coaches want to see. (interchangibility between certain positions)

Also made a point to say that they want a right footed cb on the right side of the cb position and a left footed one in the left side cb spot.

That might be an explanation for nana sitting so much. Sounds like he's behind Cann on the depth chart for his position.

Looking forward to watching the next 4 installments.

Might also be a good watch for those supporters who dont think a system exists at all.

prizby
05-22-2011, 07:17 PM
didn't he explain it when tfc unvailed the academy?

Beach_Red
05-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Sounds good, thanks for posting.

I think even the most cynical here would agree these coaches have a system in mind. The issue has always been getting the players for it.

denime
05-22-2011, 07:23 PM
^ yes it and I posted the written version with tactical responsibilities and Technical Requirements, few post down in this thread:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27099&page=2

v00d00daddy
05-22-2011, 07:23 PM
didn't he explain it when tfc unvailed the academy?

Not sure. Didn't see that.

sulfur
05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
They did talk about it in terms of the Academy, but were more to the point as to how it applied to the first team.

Red Skies At Night
05-22-2011, 08:11 PM
one interesting thing he said was that "other coaches in this league like to talk about what to do when they don't have the ball, but we like to talk about what to do when we do have the ball"... while I get what he meant I did think to myself, considering the way we give up goals you might want to have a brief chat about what to do when we don't have the ball (especially with Mr Gargan lol)

v00d00daddy
05-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Stole this post from the game thread. Explains the numbering further.

;1304191']I dont know if a majority of you guys saw the segment with Bob de Klerk during the halftime where he laid out his numbering system as well as hinted on the roles of each player.

----------------1-----------------
2---------3----------4---------5--
----------6----------8------------
----------------10-----------------
7--------------------------------9-
----------------11-----------------

Basically he said that the like colors above should be interchangeable and that each player should be able to play any of those positions during the game and in practice.

Fat chance of finding anyone who could play all of those positions and not play in Europe or in the Mexican league.

v00d00daddy
05-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Although de Klerk says TFC plays it this way:

7--------------------------------11
----------------9-----------------

Minor difference. Same effect

Heathen
05-23-2011, 10:55 AM

So am I right in assuming based on that he thinks Eckersley, Tchani and Soolsma should all be interchangeable as should be Gargan, De Guzman, Plata

v00d00daddy
05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
So am I right in assuming based on that he thinks Eckersley, Tchani and Soolsma should all be interchangeable as should be Gargan, De Guzman, Plata

Not necessarily interchangeable as in starting position in starting XI but more the idea of being able to move into that space and fill that role during play to facilitate others moving in to support space for other players.

Heathen
05-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Not necessarily interchangeable as in starting position in starting XI but more the idea of being able to move into that space and fill that role during play to facilitate others moving in to support space for other players.

Yeah I know that thanks. If that's his system he definitely doesn't have the players yet to fit and don't know if he will, good luck trying to find a winger who can play defensive midfield on an MLS salary.

v00d00daddy
05-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah I know that thanks. If that's his system he definitely doesn't have the players yet to fit and don't know if he will, good luck trying to find a winger who can play defensive midfield on an MLS salary.

I guess your question was rhetorical. Lol

You don't need a winger that can play DM. You need a winger that can move into the middle of the park and be responsible defensively when the DM is busy doing something else. I dont see why that's so hard to accomplish.

It's more a mentality thing than it is a technical ability thing.

I think it can be done.

Alonso
05-23-2011, 01:08 PM
If anyone is interested it looks as though they'll bs doing a five part series on the new system over the next five shows.

Is this on gol tv then? I looked for it on TFC TV.

Heathen
05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I guess your question was rhetorical. Lol

You don't need a winger that can play DM. You need a winger that can move into the middle of the park and be responsible defensively when the DM is busy doing something else. I dont see why that's so hard to accomplish.

It's more a mentality thing than it is a technical ability thing.

I think it can be done.

You're splitting hairs being defensively responsible in the middle of the park means knowing how at least at a basic level how to play defensive mid even if its only for 10 seconds.
Can't comment about last night's game because I didn't see any of it but even Winter's own recruits Soolsma and Martina don't seem that accomplished at doing it what hope for some poor MLS journey man or NCAA recruit.

sulfur
05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't doubt that the entire 5-part series will be on TFC TV eventually.

Don't forget the point-forward v point-backward bit.

Darlofletch
05-23-2011, 09:22 PM
yep, point back is what we've been playing since the seattle debacle. gave up on santos as an am at 10, went with de guz as dm instead.

looked better ever since, defensively at least as it helps hide individual deficiencies. attack becomes a bit more reliant on individul talent though, which isn't ideal.

good pragmatism from winter and co, recognising his squad's strengths, hopefully we can improve the squad, and get a good am for when we want to go with point forward.

denime
05-23-2011, 10:21 PM

^This is point to the front,if we are playing point to the back than lineup should look like this:

----------------6----------------
----------8----------10----------

point to the back is more offensive lineup and spreads "triangles" equally all over the pitch.

v00d00daddy
05-24-2011, 09:59 AM
^This is point to the front,if we are playing point to the back than lineup should look like this:

----------------6----------------
----------8----------10----------

point to the back is more offensive lineup and spreads "triangles" equally all over the pitch.

True. I forgot to mention that.

TFC have played both this year but point back has been used more recently.