PDA

View Full Version : Jurgen Klinsmann in Vancouver talking TFC

moralis
05-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Found a video of Jurgen Klinsmann on the Vancouver Whitecaps website taking about his time working with TFC. I'm guessing his duties are over after his contract ended at the end of April.

Maybe he's in Vancouver to talk with Aron and his coaching staff about how the team is progressing and what he thought they could improve on. I would think that's why he's there.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/05/carl-and-jurgen-talk-about-mls-and-all-things-soccer

Any thoughts

Alonso
05-20-2011, 09:25 PM
What a great interview by Jurgen. The man is pure class. I wish Aron could interview this well.

Alonso
05-20-2011, 09:26 PM
What a great interview by Jurgen. The man is pure class. I wish Aron could interview this well.

Maybe Aron needs less 'handlers' and to speak his own mind.

Brooker
05-20-2011, 09:27 PM
lol nice Barcelona picture they chose.

thanks for the link.

Waggy
05-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi, is this the line where we go ape shit on Tom Anselmi?

How in the name of zues's BUTTHOLE did Anselmi get the respect or ability to deal with Klinnsman alone AND be making the decisions? I don't care if they were right or wrong, the man has years of abject failure in sport after sport after sport HOW DID MLSE/THE TEACHERS ALLOW HIM TO ACT BASICALLY INDEPENDENTLY?! Thank fuck it looks like the blind bastard might have found something but god damn it there can't be more than 10 people in the entire sports world who deserved to be fired more over the years than him. Gary Bettman looks at the organization and laughs.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
05-21-2011, 06:00 AM
I also liked the fact the whitecaps are smart enough to put video up on their site that is iPad compatible. Yet another fail for Mlse. Whether you like apple or not there are a shit load of iPads out there.

Chevy
05-21-2011, 07:15 AM
I also liked the fact the whitecaps are smart enough to put video up on their site that is iPad compatible. Yet another fail for Mlse. Whether you like apple or not there are a shit load of iPads out there.

^^ Holy shit - ragging on MLSE because you can't view TFC videos on your iPad? Really?

poppamidnight
05-21-2011, 09:10 AM
^^ Holy shit - ragging on MLSE because you can't view TFC videos on your iPad? Really?

LOL - dude your wrong - I'm in marketing and completely agree with him.

If you don't have content tablet compatible - you straight up fail.

Peep the numbers for Q1 tablet sales.

MLSE is straight up an epic fail when it comes to all things marketing

dupont
05-21-2011, 09:41 AM

No, he isn't wrong.
He never said they are good at marketing. He is saying "who gives a shit" because we have more important things to worry about like the performance of the team - and that people are just looking for ANYTHING to complain about even if it's really unimportant.

Beach_Red
05-21-2011, 09:59 AM
No, he isn't wrong.
He never said they are good at marketing. He is saying "who gives a shit" because we have more important things to worry about like the performance of the team - and that people are just looking for ANYTHING to complain about even if it's really unimportant.

But it's really all the same problem. It's an organization that isn't thorough and doesn't pay attention to the details. It's a top-down management problem, a whole attitude of, "good enough."

If there was some feeling that the organization was puting a huge amount of effort into making the team a champion and therefore all this other stuff wasn't getting enough attention that would be fine - but it's not like that.

ensco
05-21-2011, 10:03 AM
"If there are coffee cup stains on the tray tables, people assume that we're not doing the engine maintenance properly"

-Gordon Bethune, CEO, Continental Airlines

Whoop
05-21-2011, 10:16 AM
"If there are coffee cup stains on the tray tables, people assume that we're not doing the engine maintenance properly"

-Gordon Bethune, CEO, Continental Airlines

I like that quote. :thumbsup:

Might have to "borrow" it.

TFC07
05-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Not only that, but MLSE failed to create apps for TFC and Toronto Raptors (I think they created Toronto Maple Leafs app though?).

denime
05-21-2011, 11:46 AM
This is not "I hate ML$E" thread,:topic:

Jurgen Klinsmann in Vancouver talking TFC

Couchy81
05-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Nice interview, glad we had this man help us get past a few hurdles.

rocker
05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
This is not "I hate ML$E" thread,:topic:

Jurgen Klinsmann in Vancouver talking TFC

come on Denime, you know every thread is the "I hate ML$E" thread! ;)

SilverSamurai
05-21-2011, 01:34 PM
That's Apple's fault for being anti-Flash.
You don't get the full web experience no matter how much Apple tries to spin it.
Is there a need for a native app though? Yes.

ExiledRed
05-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Nice interview, glad we had this man help us get past a few hurdles.

Which hurdles were those?

Am I the only person perplexed by the idea that someone was hired to find out "what kind of football people in toronto would want to watch"

I mean what?

Is nobody baffled that somebody would tell MLSE that they needed to implement 4-3-3 posession based football and that what they need to do is make this a criteria for all future coaching hires? So basically FO dictates the system and the coaches have to follow it.

really? MLSE dictates the system after chatting with someone for a while?

Did anybody else enjoy this bit, on actually implementing the system as much as me?

"Obviously with all the restrictions you have in MLS its quite challenge because of the salary cap, and you dont really have the players you want to have."

No shit, Jurgen.

Couchy81
05-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Which hurdles were those?

Am I the only person perplexed by the idea that someone was hired to find out "what kind of football people in toronto would want to watch"

I mean what?

Is nobody baffled that somebody would tell MLSE that they needed to implement 4-3-3 posession based football and that what they need to do is make this a criteria for all future coaching hires? So basically FO dictates the system and the coaches have to follow it.

really? MLSE dictates the system after chatting with someone for a while?

Did anybody else enjoy this bit, on actually implementing the system as much as me?

"Obviously with all the restrictions you have in MLS its quite challenge because of the salary cap, and you dont really have the players you want to have."

No shit, Jurgen.

The hurdle of MLSE retardation. Basically he held their hands and told them how to tie their shoes. Now we have a proper coaching staff and a system of play that is defined, and a plan to use it in sync with the academy going forward.

ExiledRed
05-21-2011, 02:44 PM
The hurdle of MLSE retardation. Basically he held their hands and told them how to tie their shoes. Now we have a proper coaching staff and a system of play that is defined, and a plan to use it in sync with the academy going forward.

Explain why a team that has never won anything and has no winning formula, needs to define some random system of play, as part of the team identity, before we have coaches and players that can mange it?

Explain how MLSE are going to be adequate stewards of this system and ensure that all coaching staff are following their 'expertly laid plans.'

What if Winter wanted to play 3-5-2 one week. Is he allowed? What if Winter quit, would the next coach only be hired if he was prepared to follow the system that Klinsman and MLSE have agreed upon, even though this system is still experimental, and isnt necessarily going to dominate?

bah, its all wash.

Couchy81
05-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Explain why a team that has never won anything and has no winning formula, needs to define some random system of play, as part of the team identity, before we have coaches and players that can mange it?

Maybe having no defined system in place is the reason we have never won anything? A mishmash of players and coaches from year to year doesn't lead to stability. An academy that teaches something defined, so that every player knows his role on the pitch, will be the foundation of a winning formula.

Explain how MLSE are going to be adequate stewards of this system and ensure that all coaching staff are following their 'expertly laid plans.'

I wouldn't trust them to be adequate with much, but how does one define ownership's role as a steward of a football system anyways? It's all about who you hire to train the players and implement the tactics. At least they have the list that Jurgen wrote out for them.

What if Winter wanted to play 3-5-2 one week. Is he allowed? What if Winter quit, would the next coach only be hired if he was prepared to follow the system that Klinsman and MLSE have agreed upon, even though this system is still experimental, and isnt necessarily going to dominate?

bah, its all wash.

In regards to Winter, he's the coach he can make the calls, I'm sure management trust him in his decisions. For all we know it could be a wash, I won't disagree with you there. Some success is the only thing that will keep the system in place. That is yet to be seen.

v00d00daddy
05-21-2011, 05:11 PM

The FO probably thought that they had to go the "attactive football" route because, despite saying otherwise prior to his arrival, the supporters are not content with "just results". They hired Preki who played "anti-football" that everyone eventually complained about. The FO listened and figured they might want to go out and look for people who would implement attractive football and get results. That was the goal.

I have no idea. I would hope that MLSE have hired people that they trust to run the on field product and won't interfere.

Honestly dude, why do you concern yoursefl with what if this and what if that?

I tell you what. Make a prediction. Tell us all what you think this "experiment" will lead to. I want to know what you think is going to happen with this team because you sure are negative about the whole thing right now.

I'd like to see if you're willing to predict the utter collapse of this team that each of your posts (in every thread) alludes to. Make a prediction

I'll start.

I think this team will continue to improve at playing within the system.

They will add and subtract players to better suit the teams needs and follow the coaches vision.

This will, in turn, result in wins on the field.

I hope to see this coming into form sometime this season, hopefully sometime after the summer transfer window but more than likely rounding into form near the end of the season.

That may or may not be enough to fight for a playoff spot but I think TFC will be set up well to compete next year.
I
expect them to be a playoff team next year.

A team that will only continue to get better with the current squad gelling and better understanding their roles witihin the formation and the academy players graduating to the senior team having been brought up under the same system.

DichioTFC
05-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Its nice to see Jurgen discuss what he did while consulting the organization.

I think we all take for granted what Jurgen did, he proposed a direction for the club to follow. Every plan needs a first step, and playing attractive attacking football was it. It know it sounds kinda amateurish, but lets be honest, MLSE didn't have a football strategy for this team. To them, this was supposed to be a cash cow, where people would come and watch whether they won or lost (i.e. Raptors, Leafs). IMO the only reason for the change has been our passion and anger.

Plans take awhile to implement and this really should've been done six years ago, but MoJo was a mistake and there's nothing left to do but to look forward and be an expansion team once again. Credit to MLSE for contracting Jurgen and making it happen, even if its six years too late.

Beach_Red
05-21-2011, 08:19 PM
It is interesting that the style of play was chosen even though it may not be possible, given the restrictions, to get enough players for it.

I've seen quite a few expansion teams start up in hockey and the restriction they had to deal with wasn't salary cap but a limit number of players which worked out to the same things. Some expansion teams went for boring, defensive, clutch and grab style hockey and some tried to get goal scoerers in. The defensive-monded teams usually built winning teams after a few years. The teams that went for the "exciting, offensive style"were usually in non- hockey markets and were having trouble selling tickets.

I's too bad Toronto became a non-soccer market having trouble selling tickets because it
didn't start out that way.

torontocelt
05-22-2011, 12:05 AM
I am a critic of Winter and the 'system' in place but even I realise that this 'system' and the effort put in by mlse is better than nothing. I am not going to criticize the effort put in by mlse this time, it may have been a panic measure but at least they tried something. I am alarmed by Jurgen saying that you might not get the players though, many of us have been saying that for a while. I am pretty sure Jurgen realises the limitations of the mls players and it is confusing that he now admits it. For me I would never constrict a manager by a formation, for me you are basically limiting the managers and players you can sign but still something is better than nothing and time will tell.