PDA

View Full Version : Are we on track?

ensco
05-19-2011, 08:36 AM
If we had lost last night, I would have waited because the anger around that would have contaminated the poll.

But since we "won"....there are clearly some very vocal positions being taken both ways, but I'm curious to know where people in aggregate think we are.

This is really an attempt to have a referendum on the WinterMariner era so far, neutralize the impact of MLSE (I'm pretty sure an MLSE referendum wouldn't be that interesting!) and understand the impact of being an SSH on frustration level.

The poll closes in 7 days, and the results are hidden until then (it's an experiment, I have a suspicion on these polls that being able to see the results actually influence the outcome)

bertal
05-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I could just say "lol, no!" but in the ncc, we seem to perform and in in mls proper we're much like Jekyll and Hyde. if we had consistency across the the board, most fans would be content

MG42
05-19-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure if we are on track, but last nights result was not indicative of our performance. Obviously I realize that coming out of that game with an away goal and draw is an excellent result, but we were outclassed for a good portion of the game. And yes I realize the end result is the most important and good teams get lucky etc etc, but I don't see how most of our players performance last night can be seen as positive, or progressive. It was awesome seeing another team getting the shaft from a ref for once though lol. So I guess to answer your question of where we are my answer would be - the same place we've always been.

Jack
05-19-2011, 08:48 AM
We're on track, I'm just not sure at which station we'll end up.

ensco
So I guess to answer your question of where we are my answer would be - the same place we've always been.

Oh snap, I forgot to put a fifth existential option with some sort of Camus quote in there. :)

ExiledRed
I could just say "lol, no!" but in the ncc, we seem to perform and in in mls proper we're much like Jekyll and Hyde. if we had consistency across the the board, most fans would be content

I think last night was a poor display, and grabbing a desperate point from a superior team suffering from a bad case of Cunningham-Barrettitis, is hardly an indication that we 'performed'

After sunday, the next leg is going to be brutal.

MG42
05-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Oh snap, I forgot to put a fifth existential option with some sort of Camus quote in there. :)

:lol:

cochrdoc
05-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Our forwards don`t seem to be a threat like What the whitecaps showed.If Gargon didn`t crap his pants trying to defend their speedster and was definately outclassed.Some people seem to think we need only a couple of players,I think we need to pick up a few more and release the one`s who are struggling.

Suds
05-19-2011, 09:10 AM
TFC at this stage:

There are elements of our game that are getting better at. That this clear.
The areas in our game we are not good at - we are absolutely brutal!

Pachuco
05-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm somewhere in the middle so I can't vote. I honestly don't know whether we are on track or not. The play on the field tells me we aren't. But the players that have been brought in tells me we are. It's very difficult to analyze this team as this point.

Oh, and I've had season tickets since beginning of Season 2. But I didn't miss a home game in Season 1.

mastermixer
05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
The day I start seeing some consistencies with the roster and play on the field is the day I will say we are on track.

Beach_Red
05-19-2011, 09:50 AM

You could have gone with some Talking Heads, too, same as it ever was.

Maybe there's more direction to this team. Still, I expected a significant signing to set the tone for the new management, someone with proven leadership qualities.

This roster seems just as pieced together as anything Mo gave us.

ComedyOfErrors
05-19-2011, 09:54 AM
It feels like i am watching the world's longest pre-season.
I think Winter/Mariner have some good long term ideas, but are trying to build a complete team without all the pieces of the puzzle. They keep trying different players in different roles 'hoping' something fits. I hope they realize by now, MLSE has given them a puzzle purchased at a garage sale!

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 09:57 AM
It's too early to tell.

I am encouraged by the quality of some of the players that have been acquired by the new management regime, but the overall inconsistency of the team's performances thus far makes it difficult to gauge progress so early in the season.

I think we'll have a much clearer picture in the second half of the schedule.

ensco
05-19-2011, 10:05 AM
It's too early to tell.

As a manager, Winter's had 23 games in total (11 league, 9 preseason, 3 NCC).

Most of these games have been against weaker teams.

I have criticized WinterMariner for not bringing players in, and that's possibly a premature criticism.

But I think 23 games is enough to have some sort of opinion about how these guys are doing.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 10:17 AM
I think Winter/Mariner will bring in a DP this summer. There is no way they can't do it. MLSE has to give fans something to believe in for next season because the irrational euphoria of having a "European" coach from Ajax will be wiped away with our record come the end of the season.

I think we will be very near the bottom by the time the DP comes in, have another difficult summer while the DP acclamates and then finish of the year strong with a run of wins that will be meaningless for this season but will give hope for the next. That is how I think this year plays out. And I think TFC fans will be robbed because of it, since I don't think it was necessary to suck this bad while we wait for a saviour DP.

Whoop
05-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Results wise it's still more of the same.

The question right now is - will TFC go in a swoon in the summer like they always do or will there be improvement of their record in the summer?

Will TFC have a better road record than they've had in the past? Their road record in the past have been beyond abysmal.

There are still lots of questions that have to be answered.

That's why it's still inconclusive.

We can speculate all we want but none of us have the answers really.

Gazza
05-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Take away Frei and Eckersley (not really sure if i should put JDG in there since i've lost faith in him) and we have the personnel that resembles that of FC Edmonton.

I believe that Winter/Mariner are not even close to having the roster they need in order to be successful so it is still early to tell.

With the young guys like Cordon, Plata and even Tchani garnering more experience, i see hope for the future. Down the road they'll be adding some class veterans and possibly a couple of DP's while ridding themselves of players that don't fit the mold, and we'll start looking more like an MLS contender and not a pretender.

This is what i'm hoping for anyway. But i didn't expect much from this season, other than further developing younger players and turning over the roster.

Whoop
05-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Well, I don't see JDG being retained as a DP next season so that's definitely one piece that will need to be turned over next season.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 10:29 AM
As a manager, Winter's had 23 games in total (11 league, 9 preseason, 3 NCC).

Most of these games have been against weaker teams.

I have criticized WinterMariner for not bringing players in, and that's possibly a premature criticism.

But I think 23 games is enough to have some sort of opinion about how these guys are doing.

As far as Winter's record, the match results from the preseason are meaningless though, aren't they?

Many of our current starters weren't with the club yet in the preseason, and those matches were primarily used to gauge the overall ability of individual players, and begin implementing a new system.

Carts
05-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I think Winter/Mariner will bring in a DP this summer. There is no way they can't do it. MLSE has to give fans something to believe in for next season because the irrational euphoria of having a "European" coach from Ajax will be wiped away with our record come the end of the season.

I think we will be very near the bottom by the time the DP comes in, have another difficult summer while the DP acclamates and then finish of the year strong with a run of wins that will be meaningless for this season but will give hope for the next. That is how I think this year plays out. And I think TFC fans will be robbed because of it, since I don't think it was necessary to suck this bad while we wait for a saviour DP.

Ok, who's your source that told you MY AGENT was in contact with TFC...???

Carts... :D

P-NUTZ
05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm somewhere in the middle so I can't vote. I honestly don't know whether we are on track or not. The play on the field tells me we aren't. But the players that have been brought in tells me we are. It's very difficult to analyze this team as this point.

im probably in this mindset.:(

TFCRegina
05-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok, who's your source that told you MY AGENT was in contact with TFC...???

Carts... :D

Designated Producer?

dow117
05-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Here since day 1 and I can honestly say that while there is a slight improvement in some ares ( mid ) ... we are no further ahead: in fact, we simply do not have the players that are comfortable on the ball . I am very dissapointed as I believe that the playoffs are going to be missed again. Unless we get a couple of impact players that stay healthy, we will be in the bottom 3.

TFC USA
05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
We're on the rebuilding track.

Every time we move towards the playoff track our route gets redirected to rebuilding.

trane
05-19-2011, 11:52 AM
I hate result hidden polls.

gomesv
05-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Well, I don't see JDG being retained as a DP next season so that's definitely one piece that will need to be turned over next season.

He had in my opinion a great game yesterday, I would hate to see the midfield without him....

s2cazz
05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Why the fuck are the results hidden? We doing Market Research for MLSE now?

dupont
05-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I think the important thing is to stick with the plan and keep a core group of players together instead of always rebuilding. If we do that then I think we will hit playoffs next season.

Joe Kool
05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
He had in my opinion a great game yesterday, I would hate to see the midfield without him....

Yeah I thought JDG actually stood out yesterday and linked up the midfield with the defensive line real well. He also bailed out our CB's on a number of occasions when they were caught out of position.

As far as the season I think we are making progress even though the results still aren't great and it is hard to watch the brutal parts they are still working on. I think Winter needs to still get rid of some guys that he probably had to keep this year due to contractual obligations. Anything that they can achieve this year is just gravy for me.

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 12:32 PM

While that is true, I agree with Whoop, he won't be retained as a DP. (well, I'd be shocked if he was).

I could see us try to re-sign him at a more reasonable salary, if he can learn to live with the fact the his isn't worth what he is getting today.

I'm sure he has very few prospects in Europe these days.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I thought JDG's contract expires at the end of next season?

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I thought JDG's contract expires at the end of next season?

I have no idea. I hope not.

ensco
05-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Why the fuck are the results hidden? We doing Market Research for MLSE now?

If the mods want to unhide it, or delete this poll, fine by me. But my perception is that a lot of people are influenced by how the vote is going, in terms of how they themselves vote.

It doesn't matter whether it's hidden or not, but I think there is a risk that MLSE use the results of this, whatever they are, somehow, against us.

The way to deal with that is to put in the members only section. Again, I'll leave it to the mods.

s2cazz
05-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Didn't mean to be so harsh. I don't really give a crap anyways. MLSE obviously frequents the boards or we wouldn't have JDG.

I said it at the time and I will say it again he was NOT what we needed at the time. Biggest mistake to date. MLSE obviously went out and got him because the fans were crying for him and not because he was the best option for the team.

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I said it at the time and I will say it again he was NOT what we needed at the time. Biggest mistake to date.

I still think not firing Mo Johnston after the NYRB 5-0 debacle was the biggest mistake to date, coupled with the shameless unabated ticket price increases.

s2cazz
05-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I still think not firing Mo Johnston after the NYRB 5-0 debacle was the biggest mistake to date, coupled with the shameless unabated ticket price increases.

Both big mistakes IMO but JDG is the biggest. They just gave the fans what they wanted.

Whoop
05-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Both big mistakes IMO but JDG is the biggest. They just gave the fans what they wanted.

Not firing Mo after the 5-0 loss was the biggest, but the JDG signing is up there only because what it did to the pay structure of the club.

__wowza
05-19-2011, 01:15 PM
If the mods want to unhide it, or delete this poll, fine by me. But my perception is that a lot of people are influenced by how the vote is going, in terms of how they themselves vote.

lol, i started a thread with the same mentality awhile back. i got attacked by a few board members based off of the fact that they didnt think mob mentality would prevail. i'd like to believe that, but i don't. it's everything i ever learned in a stats course, as much as people can defend their reasons, most are comfortable with just going with the flow if there's doubt.

as for whether or not we're on track. i'd like to answer yes with an "if" or no with a "but". i can honestly see winters vision. he's completely handcuffed by the roster he has, so this is a trial period until the transfer window. don't get me wrong, we're not where we'd like to be, but it's where we should be. mariner aside, winter had no experience in the MLS. he got stuck with a few of mojo's mistakes and an unfortunate earl cochraine signing (sturgis).

with the money invested in a new TG, as well as the reserve league back, i can see us being a serious contender, with remarkable depth, in two seasons. in the meantime, if this team makes it to the transfer window with a core group of players then the second half of the season will look very, very different.

Beach_Red
05-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Not firing Mo after the 5-0 loss was the biggest, but the JDG signing is up there only because what it did to the pay structure of the club.

But all the mistakes pale in comparison to not hiring an experienced president and setting up the FO properly from the very beginning.

And this is the mistake that still hasn't been corrected.

It's already starting to look like Winter is going to get hung out to dry, too, and that's a... I was going to say shame, but I guess he'd say, is a pity.

ensco
05-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I think it was MLSE letting Mo put Cummins on the field, instead of making him go down there himself, that was the original sin. It allowed Mo to sidestep facing the music for the 2009 bellyflop.

ensco
05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
But all the mistakes pale in comparison to not hiring an experienced president and setting up the FO properly from the very beginning

Of course. It is that simple.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 01:20 PM
It's already starting to look like Winter is going to get hung out to dry, too, and that's a... I was going to say shame, but I guess he'd say, is a pity.

He does use that word often doesn't he?

Beach_Red
05-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I think it was MLSE letting Mo put Cummins on the field, instead of making him go down there himself, that was the original sin. It allowed Mo to sidestep facing the music for the 2009 bellyflop.

Do you think was someone at MLSE (maybe even someone who occassionally writes a diary entry) grooming Mo to move up to VP of Soccer Operations (what a title) and then to President of the team when one becomes inevitable because he was someone who could be easily handled?

ryan
05-19-2011, 01:41 PM

He does use that word often doesn't he?

His English vocabulary is obviously quite limited, but indeed he does.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Do you think was someone at MLSE (maybe even someone who occassionally writes a diary entry) grooming Mo to move up to VP of Soccer Operations (what a title) and then to President of the team when one becomes inevitable because he was someone who could be easily handled?

Tom Anselmi was assigned to his position at the helm of TFC by MLSE during the inception of the franchise. I blame him for the cost efficient, short sighted, abysmal manner in which he built the front office in 2007. I also hold him and Paul Beirne responsible for the ridiculous ticket price increases during the first four years.

That being said, Tom Anselmi doesn't strike me as a passionate football supporter who demands indirect control of the day to day operations. If anything, based on his public interviews and his body language, I believe he doesn't want anything to do with the nuances of actually running the football club.

I could be wrong, but outside of setting the financial perameters of the team's budget for the management structure, scouting, and acquisition of players beyond the salary cap limitations, I think Tom Anselmi has little to no influence on player personnel decisions.

Beach_Red
05-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Tom Anselmi was assigned to his position at the helm of TFC by MLSE during the inception of the franchise. I blame him for the cost efficient, short sighted, abysmal manner in which he built the front office in 2007. I also hold him and Paul Beirne responsible for the ridiculous ticket price increases during the first four years.

That being said, Tom Anselmi doesn't strike me as a passionate football supporter who demands indirect control of the day to day operations. If anything, based on his public interviews and his body language, I believe he doesn't want anything to do with the nuances of actually running the football club.

I could be wrong, but outside of setting the financial perameters of the team's budget for the management structure, scouting, and acquisition of players beyond the salary cap limitations, I think Tom Anselmi has little to no influence on player personnel decisions.

Well, yeah, that's what I was getting at. He didn't want to do it but he wanted to make sure the guy doing it was on his 'team,' so to speak, and also no threat to him. An inexperienced guy just happy to have the job. It's what they were hoping would happen with JFJ and the Leafs but when it didn't work they had to bring in Burke and give him a lot more power (and therefore themselves less). So far they haven't had to do that with TFC because all we've ever demanded is a new coach, and not even one with a championship to his credit.

Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone at MLSE was hoping that TFC wouild turn into a winner. I just don't think it was the top priority for anyone.

TFC07
05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
WinterMariner are not on track yet, and I'm seriously worried/tired of it - I'm not a longtime SSH

I am starting to question if Winter knows what he's doing as a coach. He should stick to being TD and Mariner should find another coach who knows how to coach and select players to field.

Mariner needs to (If he hasn't already) find a way to get rid of Perki players (excluding Santos) ASAP! I can't watch players like Peterson, Gargan, Harden anymore. I simply have lost patience with those players.

Gazza
05-19-2011, 02:38 PM
I doubt JDG gets re-signed with DP money. So he'll probably head back to europe, which is fine by me since his play has been abysmal.

He was brought in to help with our possession game, yet the other team always has better possession statistics. And what he does with possession is brutal. He and Cann were give-away machines last night.

FreekAce
05-19-2011, 02:39 PM
how do you expect mariner to move all these players out though? they are tied to contracts and unless you go the clusterfuck mo way, moving players out and keeping them on our books, digging a massive financial hole with whoever new you bring in, your not going to do this over night.

you have to row with the oars that you have. i'm sure we'll see lots of players being moved, but it has to be done in a way that wont bite us in the ass as it did under mo.

e: in response to TFC07

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
they are tied to contracts and unless you go the clusterfuck mo way, moving players out and keeping them on our books,

And they did this with De Rosario and Barrett.

Thankfully Mariner/Winter seem to be very smart with their spending.

Of course maybe we would be higher in the standings if we were spending more?

FreekAce
05-19-2011, 02:48 PM
exactly, wouldnt the club be able to spend that money on other (and better, more expensive) players had it not been the case?

something i dont see mariner doing, he's knows that that wont work.

its like masturbation, a good idea at the time, but in the end your only fucking yourself.

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 02:50 PM
its like masturbation, a good idea at the time, but in the end your only fucking yourself.

I thought that was Procrastination?

FreekAce
05-19-2011, 02:53 PM
that too, seems im a sucker for it ;)

TFC07
05-19-2011, 03:10 PM
how do you expect mariner to move all these players out though? they are tied to contracts and unless you go the clusterfuck mo way, moving players out and keeping them on our books, digging a massive financial hole with whoever new you bring in, your not going to do this over night.

you have to row with the oars that you have. i'm sure we'll see lots of players being moved, but it has to be done in a way that wont bite us in the ass as it did under mo.

e: in response to TFC07

I think buying them out will let younger kids on squad takeover their spots and get some valuable playing time isn't a bad idea . It's not like TFC are going to win anything this year (besides NCC?), it's time to rebuild and develop younger players (the future of TFC).

"Short-term pain, long-term gain" should be club's mentality for now.

FYI, Gargan and Harden don't make much so buying them out isn't going to hurt our cap. Peterson's contract is bad (not bad as Barrett or DeRo), but I am sure it will be worth it in the end if TFC buys him out.

swan
05-19-2011, 03:18 PM
i think we are on track i expected us to be pretty bad this year...

dont see why we have to be this bad but i expected it..

Bombonera
05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
This Poll should be called, "Are we on Crack?". Mind you, Winter might not consider that to be "clever"

Cashcleaner
05-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Absolutely. Everyone, and I mean everyone very rightly assumed that he'd be gone after that debacle. The fans, the media, probably all but two people at the club. And the fact that he wasn't shown the door is probably how this era of perpetual discontent with the club came to be. Couple that with increasing ticket sales, as you mentioned, and it's a recipe for disaster.

FreekAce
05-19-2011, 03:42 PM
[quote=TFC07;1302748]"Short-term pain, long-term gain" should be club's mentality for now.
quote]

i fully agree, i worry that a lot of folks dont though.

Beach_Red
05-19-2011, 03:58 PM
[quote=TFC07;1302748]"Short-term pain, long-term gain" should be club's mentality for now.
quote]

i fully agree, i worry that a lot of folks dont though.

It becomes a little funny after four non-playoff years to talk about "short-term pain."

Technorgasm
05-19-2011, 04:13 PM
I think last night was a poor display, and grabbing a desperate point from a superior team suffering from a bad case of Cunningham-Barrettitis, is hardly an indication that we 'performed'

After sunday, the next leg is going to be brutal.

I hate result hidden polls.

two examples of why I continue to post here. . .
and continue to oput up with all teh freakin Crying that goes on. .

Winning cures all, if we win the next 2 games on the bounce, I think the outlook round here wont be so bleak.

ensco
05-19-2011, 04:16 PM
This Poll should be called, "Are we on Crack?".

Bravo!

JonO
05-19-2011, 04:39 PM
You mean like this:
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/200533084-005.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=F5B5107058D53DF5D29924652F2AD2DC9A981CAF71F60C81 66FB320EB49F8678EC06FC33E61B34D6

jloome
05-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Go with Descartes. We aren't on track, we just "are."

Whoop
05-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I forgot.

The world is supposed to end on Saturday so it won't matter.

LOL

ExiledRed
05-19-2011, 05:04 PM
two examples of why I continue to post here. . .
and continue to oput up with all teh freakin Crying that goes on. .

Winning cures all, if we win the next 2 games on the bounce, I think the outlook round here wont be so bleak.

Giles, I love you man, but this team doesnt deserve the unwavering loyalty, manic optimism, blind faith and belief in magic that goes into supporting our 'bigger team'

Funnily enough, when it turned out that our team might lose the ability to deliver on that kind of support, the fans got downright nasty and reclaimed it, setting the rules for the new owners in the process. Nobody should be derided for doing the same here.

In Torontos case, we offered that kind of support in season one and two, and I feel they pissed on it to be honest, and I still think theyre pissing on it, and It makes me sad.

I suspect many of our players not to give a rats arse about this place, or us. You can tell that some of them are dying to be traded away, our local heroes are dropping like flies and dont seem to put any real stock in the badge. See any crest kisses lately? who among the team right now is a candidate for crest kisser? maybe Plata, but we'll see how his morale holds up.

Our team gives rival fans every excuse to ridicule us, and were on our own, theyre not defending our honour one fucking bit.

So yeah. anyway. thats where im at.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Dammit, that's worthy of an Amen right there. Nothing more I can add to that.

http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/809500/809771_b5e8_625x1000.jpg

ensco
05-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Go with Descartes. We aren't on track, we just "are."

Of course.

I drink therefore I am.

levyashin
05-19-2011, 05:40 PM
no guevera type guy in mid field------no robinson type guy in mid field------no edu type guy in mid field-----i wonder were the problem lies.

FreekAce
05-19-2011, 05:41 PM
[quote=FreekAce;1302766]

It becomes a little funny after four non-playoff years to talk about "short-term pain."

you know those four years i had very little gamedays where i did not have a good time. so yeah it sucks that the results have been shit, but i seem to have a good time anyway. maybe thats why im not as bothered by it as others. :)

gomesv
05-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I doubt JDG gets re-signed with DP money. So he'll probably head back to europe, which is fine by me since his play has been abysmal.

He was brought in to help with our possession game, yet the other team always has better possession statistics. And what he does with possession is brutal. He and Cann were give-away machines last night.

Did you bother to watch the game???? I would say he was the strongest player out there........ why all the JDG hate??????:rolleyes:

swan
05-19-2011, 05:49 PM
JDG has done much better this year then previous but still not worth his pay in my eyes..

jloome
05-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Human nature being what it is, I suspect the poll will show people think Winter still deserves more of a chance.

trane
05-19-2011, 05:55 PM
^ What is your view? I missed it.

algieb
05-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Did you bother to watch the game???? I would say he was the strongest player out there........ why all the JDG hate??????:rolleyes:
de gusman had 1 off his best games for tfc last night held mid together when chani went off

king dave
05-19-2011, 06:50 PM
We're on track, I'm just not sure at which station we'll end up.
Mr. Dangerfield couldn't have said it better Jack!
KD.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I forgot.

The world is supposed to end on Saturday so it won't matter.

LOL

Damn, I'm going to a cottage this weekend...

Blazer
05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Depends on what you mean by “on track”? 2 wins in 11 games would suggest a complete fucking train wreck.

However, if you mean “are we on track” with yet another abysmal season? I would say absolutely we’re on track.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey Roogsy:

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies..."

http://hollywoodjesus.com/media/ShawRedAndy.jpg

:scarf:

:D

Waggy
05-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Bill Simmons approved this post ^^^

When are the results becoming public?

Batman
05-19-2011, 08:35 PM
wheres the I'm concerned option... the choices are the 2 extremes... something in the middle would have been valauble, and I bet a lot of people would fall in there.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Hey Roogsy:

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies..."

http://hollywoodjesus.com/media/ShawRedAndy.jpg

:scarf:

:D

We all need a vacation in Zihuatanejo Mexico.

http://moesucks.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/shaw09.jpg

Belfast_Boy
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
1. don't like hidden polls.

2. until there's an ownership change TFC is going to be like all the other MLSE products.

123 elite
05-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't know at what point last night anything that JDG did for even a few moments that would justify anyone saying anything good about him. Just check that 'game in six'. Watch him jogging over the halfway line as Vancouver are about to score. Watch the move immediately after it where he again is jogging like he is off round the corner to pick up the newspaper. This is a guy we pay a stupid amount of money for. He is a journeyman middle of the road player. We would be equally bad without him but we could use that money for someone who actually makes a difference.

Azerban
05-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Watch him jogging over the halfway line as Vancouver are about to score.

i was fucking enraged by that, and everyone else should be too

shalrie joseph makes him look like a punk week in and week out, for like an eighth of the cost, and he's high as fuck all the time to boot

123 elite
05-19-2011, 10:37 PM
to be fair to JDG that was a replay of the goal i watched. Too busy fuming to notice.

DichioTFC
05-20-2011, 04:36 AM
From what I can recall, JDG had just sprinted up and down the field twice prior to the goal. I remember watching him jog prior to the goal but I couldn't blame him because of the effort he had shown just prior to the goal.

There are many reasons to vilify JDG, but for me, that goal wasn't one of them.

Detroit_TFC
05-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Dear Mr. Mariner, please go get Humberto Suazo. That is all, thank you kindly.

Gazza
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't know at what point last night anything that JDG did for even a few moments that would justify anyone saying anything good about him. Just check that 'game in six'. Watch him jogging over the halfway line as Vancouver are about to score. Watch the move immediately after it where he again is jogging like he is off round the corner to pick up the newspaper. This is a guy we pay a stupid amount of money for. He is a journeyman middle of the road player. We would be equally bad without him but we could use that money for someone who actually makes a difference.

Thank you.

I really don't see what he brings to this team. Can't pass, can't shoot, can't tackle, not strong on th ball, can't head the ball, other than that, i guess he's pretty good.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
05-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I just read this article in the Globe and Mail about the Thrashers pending move to Winnipeg. I've put in brackets what word can be replaced to summarize our woes:

"They’ve had 11 (5) seasons, three(8) more (less) than the Flames (Blizzard) did. They set up shop in a new arena and rode a wave of good will. They capitalized on none of it. If/when they leave, it won’t be because Atlanta (Toronto) failed the Thrashers (TFC). It will be because the Thrashers (TFC) failed Atlanta (Toronto)." And they did so spectacularly, to the point that there's now plenty of blame to go around.
But the biggest heaping should be reserved for both the Atlanta Spirit (MLSE), one of the more inept ownership groups in a league with a long history of them, and the NHL (MLS), for allowing this group to steer the Thrashers (TFC) into the ground almost from Day 1.
Under the circumstances, it's amazing they had as many fans as they did.

ryan
05-21-2011, 10:24 AM
I just read this article in the Globe and Mail about the Thrashers pending move to Winnipeg. I've put in brackets what word can be replaced to summarize our woes:

"They’ve had 11 (5) seasons, three(8) more (less) than the Flames (Blizzard) did. They set up shop in a new arena and rode a wave of good will. They capitalized on none of it. If/when they leave, it won’t be because Atlanta (Toronto) failed the Thrashers (TFC). It will be because the Thrashers (TFC) failed Atlanta (Toronto)." And they did so spectacularly, to the point that there's now plenty of blame to go around.
But the biggest heaping should be reserved for both the Atlanta Spirit (MLSE), one of the more inept ownership groups in a league with a long history of them, and the NHL (MLS), for allowing this group to steer the Thrashers (TFC) into the ground almost from Day 1.
Under the circumstances, it's amazing they had as many fans as they did.

Yep, that does summarize it quite well.

king dave
05-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Giles, I love you man, but this team doesnt deserve the unwavering loyalty, manic optimism, blind faith and belief in magic that goes into supporting our 'bigger team'

Funnily enough, when it turned out that our team might lose the ability to deliver on that kind of support, the fans got downright nasty and reclaimed it, setting the rules for the new owners in the process. Nobody should be derided for doing the same here.

In Torontos case, we offered that kind of support in season one and two, and I feel they pissed on it to be honest, and I still think theyre pissing on it, and It makes me sad.

I suspect many of our players not to give a rats arse about this place, or us. You can tell that some of them are dying to be traded away, our local heroes are dropping like flies and dont seem to put any real stock in the badge. See any crest kisses lately? who among the team right now is a candidate for crest kisser? maybe Plata, but we'll see how his morale holds up.

Our team gives rival fans every excuse to ridicule us, and were on our own, theyre not defending our honour one fucking bit.

So yeah. anyway. thats where im at.
Well said Ian.
I have followed these temps. everywhere on some glorious road trips with my group, made glorious because of like minded supporters.
Here are some of the highlights.

1. Charleston Challenge Cup 2008. A group of us show up to the College of Charleston to watch a TFC practice and the team is immediatley moved to a pitch farther away from us. Fact.

2. DC 2010. After watching a losing effort a group of TFC supporters congregate at the exit gate to give our support to the squad which is quickly boarded onto a bus and continues to plow through a group of well wishing supporters. Fact.

3. Charleston 2011. After a uninspired tournament once again, only Winter and Declerk came over to our section to thank us. Fact.

I haven't see one ounce of respect from the FO right down to the players at TFC .
When I support I expect support, otherwise?
Fuck off.
KD.

Maltese Falcon
05-21-2011, 11:18 AM
You mean like this:
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/200533084-005.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=F5B5107058D53DF5D29924652F2AD2DC9A981CAF71F60C81 66FB320EB49F8678EC06FC33E61B34D6
LOL!

TFCRegina
05-23-2011, 01:00 PM
The good news is that TFC will likely only lose 1 or 2 players for this Gold Cup. JDG has been called up and Williams will almost for certain be called for Jamaica.

TFCRegina
05-23-2011, 05:24 PM
It's confirmed, Dicoy Williams called up.

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2011, 06:57 AM
It's impossible to know if we are on the "right track" at this relatively early stage in Winter/Mariner's tenure. However, everything I've seen so far has overall given me confidence that this team will have it's brightest days under Winter's rule.

There has been some good and some bad, of course - but overall I'm liking what I'm seeing. I've also been pretty impressed overall with the players he has managed to bring in himself, and can't wait to see what moves he makes next as more and more Mo-era contracts are shed.

MLSE doesn't really enter into the mental equation for me, whatever I think of them as owners. The non-stop yakking about MLSE "killing the golden goose", and so on, has gotten really tedious. As long as they aren't obstructing Winter's vision for the team - and we have no compelling evidence that they are - they don't really have much to do with this question.

Issues like their shared responsibility in the failures of this team in the past, and their short-sightedness with ticket pricing, are a separate matter.

- Scott

ensco
05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
So the verdict is in - if forced to choose, clearly the majority thinks TFC are "on track". Whether you are an SSH or not. So I was wrong about that.

I would note, though that this survey ran during a pretty positive week - we were underdog in both the games played, and eeked out points, so that had a bit of an impact.

Also, there is an interesting dichotomy - virtually all of those who voted "not on track" are SSHs, so there is something to the idea that SSHs are more likely to be unhappy.

I'd be plenty worried if I owned the team - RPB are disproportionately in lower priced seats. I can only imagine what a similar survey of those in more pricey seats would show.

maninb
05-27-2011, 07:32 AM
If we win tomorrow, we're justy under .500...which IMO is about the best that could have been expected with a whole new line-up, system, and coaches....from what I've seen and heard is that players from outside NA now wnat to come to TFC because of the coaching group we have in place...so the future holds promise...

menefreghista
05-27-2011, 07:35 AM
If we win tomorrow, we're justy under .500....

I'm confused, with 3 point wins, how exactly to do you calculate .500 in soccer?

lobo
05-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm confused, with 3 point wins, how exactly to do you calculate .500 in soccer?

wins vs losses

menefreghista
05-27-2011, 08:19 AM
wins vs losses

But that doesn't make sense, especially when every 3 ties is the equivalent of 1 win and 2 losses.

ManUtd4ever
05-27-2011, 08:29 AM
from what I've seen and heard is that players from outside NA now wnat to come to TFC because of the coaching group we have in place...so the future holds promise...

I really hope this is true, as it would be unprecedented, and a refreshing change for the organization as a whole...

ensco
05-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Recount?

Auzzy
05-28-2011, 04:19 PM
^ Ahaha. I want a do-over, it's our only chance with this team!

Cashcleaner
05-28-2011, 04:49 PM
If we win tomorrow, we're justy under .500...which IMO is about the best that could have been expected with a whole new line-up, system, and coaches....from what I've seen and heard is that players from outside NA now want to come to TFC because of the coaching group we have in place...so the future holds promise...

What are you seeing and hearing that even remotely suggests this? I would wager that most players who know of this team don't want anything to do with it.