PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: TFC 1 - VWCFC 1

Batman
05-18-2011, 11:03 PM
stolen

neuf
05-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I feel a bit guilty, like I just stole something, but i'll take it.

A.J
05-18-2011, 11:05 PM
very, very, VERY lucky to come away with a 1-1

Whitecaps are probably bitching and moaning about the referring right now

DichioTFC
MOTM: Soolsma. He's a ball hog but critical assist and played well throughout.

Vuck Fancouver.

Supporters need to bring their A-game next week. It's ours to lose.

Redpunkfiddle
A model of justice, in the form of a football game.

SirBobSaget
05-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Why is Gold getting more field time than Sturgis? Surely Sturgis should have more to offer?

ag futbol
Meh .. for all the marginal penalty calls we have not received or had called against us I will not feel bad about this game in the slightest.

They withstood the attack early in the second and we dominated for about 30 minutes straight there.

Vancouver all and all didn't impress me much. Too many USL quality players mixed in with the MLS ones.

Gazza
Aron Winter's genius steals us an away goal.

I'm elated.

Sets us up to raise the trophy at home.

Heathen
Teytur's frustration is in direct opposition to my happiness, kind of like a teeter-totter if you will

TFC07
05-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Who the hell is Gold? Like seriously, I can't believe Nana and Stevanovic didn't get any playing time tonight.

Can't believe how awful the ref was tonight! We got lucky tonight!

TFCRegina
If we can grab the glory next week, i'll be looking forward to another year of Vancouver bitching about this tournament.

Auzzy
From the other thread:

did Gold even get a touch? i didnt notice one

Didn't you see his 30-foot first touch? That was GOLD, I say!

Not sure if I mentioned it already, but a 3-0 or 4-0 win by Toronto next week would make this less embarrassing. Of course they won't get that, just wishful thinking.

I wonder if Plata was lost on the crap plastic pitch. Bad ball control, bad passing.

TFCRegina
05-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Meh .. for all the marginal penalty calls we have not received or had called against us I will not feel bad about this game in the slightest.

They withstood the attack early in the second and we dominated for about 30 minutes straight there.

Vancouver all and all didn't impress me much. Too many USL quality players mixed in with the MLS ones.

This here!

Derko
Bring back Nana Attakora, to replace Cann and get a good left back to replace Gargan.

Cann and Gargan have been horrible as of late, Gargan's skill is limited to say the least, and Cann seems to have mental lapses and just isn't in the game, no urgency and seems a step behind at times.

TFC were very lucky tonight.

TFC07
Why is Gold getting more field time than Sturgis? Surely Sturgis should have more to offer?

I don't know who Gold is even? You're right! Sturgis should be playing instead of Gold.

Derko
05-18-2011, 11:09 PM
From the other thread:

Didn't you see his 30-foot first touch? That was GOLD, I say!

Not sure if I mentioned it already, but a 3-0 or 4-0 win by Toronto next week would make this less embarrassing. Of course they won't get that, just wishful thinking.

I wonder if Plata was lost on the crap plastic pitch. Bad ball control, bad passing.

The Plata comment surely is correct.

TFCRegina
05-18-2011, 11:09 PM
The People demand Teitor Tots bitching!

Auzzy
05-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Bring back Nana Attakora, to replace Cann and get a good left back to replace Gargan.

Cann and Gargan have been horrible as of late, Gargan's skill is limited to say the least, and Cann seems to have mental lapses and just isn't in the game, no urgency and seems a step behind at times.

Near the end, Toronto was doing well to control the ball for a while, with a bunch of useless but safe passes. Until Cann steps in & passes it straight to Vancouver...

sully
05-18-2011, 11:10 PM
A decisive performance by the referee.

ExiledRed
05-18-2011, 11:11 PM

I'm elated.

Are you trolling right now?

You wouldnt be expecting someone to call you on that would you?

Chubbs
05-18-2011, 11:11 PM

Vuck Fancouver.

Supporters need to bring their A-game next week. It's ours to lose.

I'd argue that Frei was our MOTM hands down, he came up with some large saves that kept us alive tonight.

BS1327
05-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Pumped for next Wednesdays game. Looking forward to another championship!!

Getting the away goal was MASSIVE!

kaos197O
05-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I'd argue that Frei was our MOTM hands down, he came up with some large saves that kept us alive tonight.
Nope Frei did not have a great game IMO. From TFC it would be Soolsma tonight!

Heathen

he also fucked up a couple of times, reaction saves will never be Frei's problem unfortunately command of the six-yard box and his kicking occasionally can be

SirBobSaget
I hope that the plan is to start Yourri, Zavarise and Sturgis next game, thats the only excuse for not bringing them in as crucial subs.

tfcleeds
Cann needs to be benched, simple as.

ManUtd4ever
05-18-2011, 11:14 PM
TFC stole that point, plain and simple.

Once the injuries took their toll, specifically to Tchani, Vancouver took control of the match and started winning balls in the midfield which lead to several great scoring chances which they couldn't convert. The officials were also very kind to us tonight for a change.

Considering the young, inexperienced, diminutive lineup that played the second half for TFC, I'm shocked that they were able to fight back and score a precious away goal. Kudos to Soolsma, who created the goal practically by himself, and Frei for making several key saves.

It was also interesting to see Winter switch to a defensive formation for the last 20 minutes, which was a first this season if I am not mistaken.

Hopefully, our squad will be healthy going into the second leg because we will not get away with a performance like that again.

TFCRegina
05-18-2011, 11:14 PM

He's not having a contract dispute right now. Why would you bench him?

In all seriousness.

I agree.

Gazza
05-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Are you trolling right now?

You wouldnt be expecting someone to call you on that would you?

Does that mean you're calling me on it?

Or were you just threatening to call me on it?

Or are you just raining on my happiness?

I know you're a better coach than anyone on this board and especially Winter, but i thought he did a good job with the shit players he has at his disposal.

SirBobSaget

He can probably use a rest. Too bad there's no depth at CD because of ridiculous politics

Heathen

and who would you play instead? Harden?

ExiledRed

So did the woodwork and the bouncy turf.

Petrescu was seriously committed though, he had that look of determination all game and his desire to frustrate the Whitecaps was palpable. Excellent performance, I wish all Toronto players were as red as him.

We should give him a raise and make him a DP.

Couchy81
They should ban horrible field turf. Go grass or gtfo the league. At least play in a park with some lawn chairs.

rocker
05-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Despite being as slow as fuck, Soolsma played quite well. He's good on the ball and a decent crosser.

Santos does his usual "don't notice me all game and then i score" act. I'll take it!

I have to agree with ag futbol ... finally we get a fucking break and steal something... cuz many teams have stolen games over the years from us on phantom penalty calls (I seem to remember a key game in Dallas a few years ago...).

While the non penalty was surely frustrating for Vanny, they screwed themselves by missing all those chances.

TFCRegina
05-18-2011, 11:16 PM
TFC stole that point, plain and simple.

Once the injuries took their toll, specifically to Tchani, Vancouver took control of the match and started winning balls in the midfield which lead to several great scoring chances which they couldn't convert. The officials were also very kind to us tonight for a change.

Considering the young, diminutive lineup that played the second half for TFC, I'm shocked that they were able to fight back and score a precious away goal. Kudos to Soolsma, who created the goal practically by himself, and Frei for making several key saves.

It was also interesting to see Winter switch to a defensive formation for the last 20 minutes, which was a first this season if I am not mistaken.

Hopefully, our squad will be healthy going into the second leg because we will not get away with a performance like that again.

Gold isn't ready for the First Team. I don't know if he'll ever be.

Peterson will be out for a bit it seems. Hopefully Cordon is in for Peterson and not Gold.

TFCRegina
05-18-2011, 11:17 PM

Nana Attakora.

Gazza
05-18-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm surprised Cordon wasn't in from the start. Although Tchani had a pretty decent game in the middle until he got hurt.

Heathen
05-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Nana Attakora.

Lol well yes but we know that's not going to happen

TFCRegina
05-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Despite being as slow as fuck, Soolsma played quite well. He's good on the ball and a decent crosser.

Santos does his usual "don't notice me all game and then i score" act. I'll take it!

I have to agree with ag futbol ... finally we get a fucking break and steal something... cuz many teams have stolen games over the years from us on phantom penalty calls (I seem to remember a key game in Dallas a few years ago...).

I'm with the others on this board who doesn't think Soolsma classifies as "slow as fuck."

And even he did, he's delivering balls into the box. That's something TFC hasn't done all that well in the last 4 years.

ag futbol
05-18-2011, 11:19 PM
I must note that Gargan must have lost his fucking mind to play that ball to Frei on the goal line for that play. Forget the "intentionally picking it up" part of it.... if he mistouches that even slightly he's like 3 feet off the goal line, so it's going in the fucking net.

ExiledRed
Does that mean you're calling me on it?

Or were you just threatening to call me on it?

Or are you just raining on my happiness?

I know you're a better coach than anyone on this board and especially Winter, but i thought he did a good job with the shit players he has at his disposal.

Will you fucking stop with the 'i know your a great coach' bullshit? Ive made no such claims. Questioning the experience of an underachieving coach does not equate to claiming I could do a better job.

Unlike a whack of snobbish posters on this board, I've never claimed any special knowledge or advanced insight, but if you think that display was the product of genius then......

actually ill just stop there.

Heathen

Soolsma's not that slow he outpaced their left back a few times

Gazza
05-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Soolsma's not that slow he outpaced their left back a few times

He's deceptive. Has a pretty decent first touch, which allows him to push passed guys.

I still don't know what to make of him. But he deserves a regular spot going forward. I'd much rather him in there now than Martina.

tfcleeds
05-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Nana Attakora.

+1....

Roogsy
05-18-2011, 11:25 PM

Winter says we have depth.

Heathen
He's deceptive. Has a pretty decent first touch, which allows him to push passed guys.

I still don't know what to make of him. But he deserves a regular spot going forward. I'd much rather him in there now than Martina.

yes he's more physical, although in comparison to Martina that isn't saying much, and useful in the air

ManUtd4ever
Gold isn't ready for the First Team. I don't know if he'll ever be.

Peterson will be out for a bit it seems. Hopefully Cordon is in for Peterson and not Gold.

Agreed, Cordon looked impressive tonight.

TFCRegina
05-18-2011, 11:26 PM

Technically he's correct. We have depth. He didn't say it was quality depth.

Juanito
05-18-2011, 11:26 PM
We just stole ourselves a match AND IT FEELS GOOD!

DichioTFC
05-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Who the hell is Gold? Like seriously, I can't believe Nana and Stevanovic didn't get any playing time tonight.

Can't believe how awful the ref was tonight! We got lucky tonight!

Stevanovic should've got the call after Peterson went down. This whole working hard in practice bullshit has gone on long enough Mr Winter, its time to make sure the best XI find their way onto the pitch week after week.

Dicoy is probably our best defender, but Cann is still very good in my eyes. Sure he has a tendency to switch off and panic, but really, who on this team doesnt?

ag futbol
Cordon was good for about 10-15 minutes, after that he was completely gassed. He'll have to continue to work on his conditioning.

Give him some time, he'll come around.

TFCRegina

I maintain we stole nothing.

Vancouver failed to finish their chances. God knows they had shitloads of them, courtesy of us.

Yeah, the ref missed two calls.

Guess what, Vancouver had enough chances to score 2 or 3 more goals, penalties notwithstanding. They failed to finish out the game. We stole nothing. They didn't deserve to win because they couldn't seize the chances they had.

Gazza
05-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Depth is relative;) I'd rather him lie than throw the players under the bus.

ManUtd4ever

We must have depth, we just pulled a draw out of our ass with a 2nd string lineup playing half the game...:lol:

Roogsy
Will you fucking stop with the 'i know your a great coach' bullshit? Ive made no such claims. Questioning the experience of an underachieving coach does not equate to claiming I could do a better job.

By their rationale, unless you're prepared to take the job on yourself and do it better, no fan should ever crtitique or complain about any coach or player. Ever.

DichioTFC
Agreed, Cordon looked impressive tonight.

Cordon was a spark, that's for sure. Playing him and Plata next to each other was very exciting, something I hope we see more of in the future.

kodiakTFC
05-18-2011, 11:30 PM

Agreed. Feels good to steal one.

Roogsy
05-18-2011, 11:32 PM

Hahaha...I'm going to agree with Regina, we didn't steal this as much as it was like we were walking down the street and somebody hands us a television and says "run!".

reggie
05-18-2011, 11:32 PM
peterson is injured?? omg who will take our set plays now.

Juanito
05-18-2011, 11:33 PM
I maintain we stole nothing.

Vancouver failed to finish their chances. God knows they had shitloads of them, courtesy of us.

Yeah, the ref missed two calls.

Guess what, Vancouver had enough chances to score 2 or 3 more goals, penalties notwithstanding. They failed to finish out the game. We stole nothing. They didn't deserve to win because they couldn't seize the chances they had.

Just go with it man. We're usually on the other end of these matches. Feels good to nick a goal ....

It's like a dirty Catholic girl: it's sexy cause it's sinful!!

Gazza
05-18-2011, 11:33 PM
By their rationale, unless you're prepared to take the job on yourself and do it better, no fan should ever crtitique or complain about any coach or player. Ever.

How about you don't complain ALLLL the time? Take the good and the bad. He's going to make mistakes. He might turn out not to be the man for the job. But shit, if you can't enjoy the game, why the hell are you watching? You're going to give yourselves an aneurysm.

The players, for the most part, are terrible. I can't blame that all on Winter. Some of his subs puzzle me, but i haven't seen enough to judge either way. But to criticize EVERY bloody thing he does, every time something happens is just annoying. Especially when the ones complaining are sitting in their lazy boys, and don't have a clue what it's like to coach a professional game.

Roogsy
05-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Mmmmmm Catholic school girls...

reggie
05-18-2011, 11:38 PM
fuck the game saturday,rest yr players for weds...they will lose 3 nil anyway.

TFCRegina
05-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Hahaha...I'm going to agree with Regina, we didn't steal this as much as it was like we were walking down the street and somebody hands us a television and says "run!".

That was after, of course, we offered to buy them 4 new TVs.

Auzzy
05-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Maybe MLSE realized that refs are cheaper than DPs... ;)

Heathen
05-18-2011, 11:40 PM

interesting question, I think I'd agree with you. Fuck the MLS NCC rules :canada:

reggie
05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
saturday night game on the road,full line up or not they will lose 3 -nil.

Juanito
05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Mmmmmm Catholic school girls...

http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/1/0/8/catholic_school_girls.jpg

Yes. Sí. Oui. Hai. However you want to say it: YES GUY!!

ManUtd4ever
05-18-2011, 11:44 PM

interesting question, I think I'd agree with you. Fuck the MLS NCC rules :canada:

Agreed, with the Colorado match being on Sunday, it doesn`t make sense to play most of the starters in the high altitude with just 2 days to rest before the 2nd leg at BMO Field.

Blizzard
05-18-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't know who Gold is even? You're right! Sturgis should be playing instead of Gold.

If Sturgis was better than Gold, he'd be playing. Face it guys, Sturgis is not wanted on this club by this coaching staff. He was a bad acquisition.

reggie
05-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Agreed, with the Colorado match being on Sunday, it doesn`t make sense to play most of the starters in the high altitude with just 2 days to rest before the 2nd leg at BMO Field.

sunday...i stand corrected,4- nil loss.

who and where do the whitecraps play on the weekend?

backbeat
Cordon over Peterson please?!? he make so much more happen on the attack, me thinks....

boozilla
He seems lumbering, but sure can make defenders look stupid.

Roogsy
05-18-2011, 11:48 PM
sunday...i stand corrected,4- nil loss.

who and where do the whitecraps play on the weekend?

I believe they have this weekend off.

reggie
05-18-2011, 11:50 PM
thats sucks....i think weds game may be the most important home game ever,thats not say much.

Walnut
05-19-2011, 12:03 AM

I'm elated.

And what a valuable and hard fought trophy it will be!

lobo
05-19-2011, 12:11 AM
3 stars

1. soolsma
2. frei
3. woodwork

Dub Narcotic
05-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Just me, or was that a top 3 TFC game of all time in terms of entertainment value? Good back and forth with lots of energy and decent skill. Though Cann did well, but agree that Gold is nowhere. TFC cannot afford to go without Peterson and Tchani for long.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-19-2011, 12:40 AM
One thing that got a little old during the commentary was Whitecaps FC, Dobson couldn't just say Whitecaps? It's Chelsea FC but the EPL commentators don't say Chelsea FC every time they touch the ball.

Luck went our way for once, about time. Soolsma was pretty good, the neat little flick was pretty top shelf, too bad he's a touch slow.

TFCRegina
05-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Vancouver bitching has begun already.

Let`s beat them next week.

TFCRegina
05-19-2011, 01:27 AM
One thing that got a little old during the commentary was Whitecaps FC, Dobson couldn't just say Whitecaps? It's Chelsea FC but the EPL commentators don't say Chelsea FC every time they touch the ball.

Luck went our way for once, about time. Soolsma was pretty good, the neat little flick was pretty top shelf, too bad he's a touch slow.

Chelsea is the geographic area of club, akin to calling the team Vancouver.

A better comparison would have been Blues FC.

Brooker
05-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Just me, or was that a top 3 TFC game of all time in terms of entertainment value? Good back and forth with lots of energy and decent skill. Though Cann did well, but agree that Gold is nowhere. TFC cannot afford to go without Peterson and Tchani for long.

Wasn't just you. It wasn't painful to watch at all.... but it was fucking nerve-racking.

and where was their owner Steve Nash tonight? Watching the Canucks, of course!

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images/upload/gallery/2011/05/114380636_slide.jpg

CretanBull
05-19-2011, 02:40 AM
3 stars

1. soolsma
2. frei
3. woodwork

The Ref has to be the 1st star, he did more to get us points than we did! I'm not complaining though, we've been fucked over so many times by bad officiating that we're owed.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-19-2011, 02:52 AM
We are not the first team to get an ugly result.. FACT!! Bring on the second leg!

CretanBull
05-19-2011, 03:12 AM
We are not the first team to get an ugly result.. FACT!! Bring on the second leg!

I'll gladly take it. The draw vs. Chicago felt like a loss. This draw feels like a win.

London
05-19-2011, 05:00 AM
how do people not know our players?????

gold was one of our draft picks from this season.

i guess beer is more important than the team to some

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 06:50 AM

No. Don't make these kinds of excuses. That is bs. The surface wasn't the problem.

He was marked out of the game. And we should get use to it.

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Wasn't just you. It wasn't painful to watch at all.... but it was fucking nerve-racking.

and where was their owner Steve Nash tonight? Watching the Canucks, of course!

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images/upload/gallery/2011/05/114380636_slide.jpg

Sad indictment on the man and the game. It doesn't take much to figure out a schedule. You're fn Steve Nash. Hire an assistant to figure out your Whitecaps FC play in this tournament once at home v Toronto. The Canucks play at home at least once more in the series. He's Canadian. He knows how hockey playoffs work. It's not like he couldn't get a ticket anywhere in that city. NashFAIL

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 07:22 AM
The Canucks play at home at least once more in the series.

Are you sure about that?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 07:47 AM
definitely deserved to lose but i will gladly take that, honestly almost feels like a win.
Though Soolsma played great, dont see why hes slow, hes just not crazy fast like Plata (who got marked out, unfortunately, thankfully hes young and will learn to work with these things). I did like the play between Cordon and Plata and I hope to see more of it, looked like we had more of an offensive spark when Cordon came on.

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Are you sure about that?

After checking the hackey result I stand almost corrected.:D

Doesn't excuse the fact he could've and probably went to the last home game and may have wanted to represent his (part owner FFS) team in a Canadian competition.

Pretty lame. Another reason I'm glad not to be a Vanny fan.

Azerban
05-19-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to discuss this but I feel this is a major growing concern.

I decided to take my father to this game and his friend called and said he'd join in but he would be a bit late to the game. After the first 15 mins, he showed up outside the gate to buy his ticket. However, he was offered a free ticket for section 224 from a girl volunteer that had a stack of tickets in her hand.

Now isn't that kind of a piss off....

already, haha

MartinUtd
05-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I mentioned this is the match thread, but I think Gargan deserves credit for finding the open space for Soolsma on the right side. His lobbed ball was the one that but Nick into the position to set up Santos. I'm by no means a Gargan fan, but I thought his contribution deserved to be praised this time.

ecospice
05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
how do people not know our players?????

gold was one of our draft picks from this season.

i guess beer is more important than the team to some

I agree with your point, but please do not insult beer. Beer has never done anything wrong to anyone and does not need to be insulted.

:drinking:

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
After checking the hackey result I stand almost corrected.:D

Doesn't excuse the fact he could've and probably went to the last home game and may have wanted to represent his (part owner FFS) team in a Canadian competition.

No worries.

I agree with your point about Nash.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I mentioned this is the match thread, but I think Gargan deserves credit for finding the open space for Soolsma on the right side. His lobbed ball was the one that but Nick into the position to set up Santos. I'm by no means a Gargan fan, but I thought his contribution deserved to be praised this time.

yeah he had a good first half, little bit cringe worthy the second half when he'd be 20 feet away from Salinas. overall hes had worse games (closest ill come to complimenting him at this time HA)

ensco
05-19-2011, 08:08 AM

So I'm curious. If it was Leafs in a Stanley Cup semifinal game going head-to-head against those teams in that game, what percentage of RPB do you think would watch the TFC game?

As to it somehow being different for Nash as a part-owner, I don't see that.

Now if Nash was management, that would be different.

Bars92
05-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Its becoming clear that Santos has a nack for scoring goals and a worthy captain for this squad in rebuilding.

drexel10
05-19-2011, 08:14 AM
I still don't get how Yourawsowsky doesn't start at left back. Not sure where Zavarise has disappeared to as well. Our team is limited to not have 11 best players touch the pitch, that includes having Stev, Martina and Plata getting some time during a game.

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Its becoming clear that Santos has a nack for scoring goals and a worthy captain for this squad in rebuilding.

Santos needs to be played as a striker. No more AM please. Even when Gordon is fit.

I know we are married to some variation of a 4-3-3 but I would like to try playing both Gordon and Santos up top.

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 08:18 AM

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2011, 08:19 AM
That display from our team was so far removed from 'genius' that I was pretty sure that Gazza was trying to get a rise, and especially as I sarcastically referred to Winter as a 'genius' in a previous thread we were both contributing to minutes earlier.

A supporter on this board can in no way troll by saying something positive about this club. Your disagreement with Gazza began with your sarcasm.

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 08:19 AM
I still don't get how Yourawsowsky doesn't start at left back. Not sure where Zavarise has disappeared to as well. Our team is limited to not have 11 best players touch the pitch, that includes having Stev, Martina and Plata getting some time during a game.

Yourassowsky and Zavarise are injured. But injury updates for TFC players are so pathetic that its no surprise most fans have no idea.

For some reason Martina didn't even make the bench for this game.

I'm starting to wonder if we can get out of the Stevanovic loan mid-season without screwing up our cap. He appears to not be favoured by the coach but should be an automatic starter considering how much his cap hit is.

Jack
05-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Guys, I've cleaned up this thread.

Let's remember we're all on the same side here. I understand there are some issues that are really polarizing, but that doesn't mean we need to get nasty with one another.

Ad hominem will not be tolerated on this message board. Attack the idea, the opinion or the statements, not the person behind them. Respect one another for your opinions, even as you disagree.

This goes for moderators, members and registered users alike. Let's cut the personal bullshit and stick to the topic at hand.

Pachuco
05-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Random Thoughts:

Soolsma was TFC man of the match by far. The only offensive player that provided a spark for us. Pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Frei was hit or miss on this day. For his standards, he had a poor game and was pretty fortunate.

Maicon dd his usual thing, moment of brilliance to put the ball in the net. Funny it was just 2 days ago some of us were saying the guy has a knack for scoring goals and others were comparing him to Barrett. Anyways, when he plays as a striker, he scores goals.

Cordon is the best AM we have right now so let's just keep playing the kid. Forget about shitty Peterson, thank god he's hurt.

Stevanovic should've come on as a left wing after it was obvious Plata was having a rough game. Hey Winter, remember those good games he had on the left wing before you moved him to forward? Yeah, maybe it's time to try that again.

DeGuzman was his typical self. Nice nifty moves, while at the same time had a terrible give away in the middle of the park that almost lead to a goal and a horrible shot that can't even be considered on net. He also could've blocked Hassli's goal if he felt like trying to get in the way of a ball, but we all know that's not his strength.

As for the team in general, they were absolutely schooled by Vancouver yesterday. No doubt Vancouver were the better team. I still expect that someone in this thread has already said that for a while there, we played the best soccer we've ever played. Seems to be consistent with us getting a goal.

We played about 10 mins of football there, so I'm still waiting to see these improvements others see. Right now the only thing we are consistent at is playing poorly. Winter also continues to make some weird ass selections but I still give him the benefit of the doubt. After all I wasn't sure about Soolsma playing over Martina and he actually had a great game.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 08:25 AM

believe Yourasowsky is injured still, as for where Zavarise is, i dunno, i like hte dude, maybe we will see him on Sunday?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Random Thoughts:

Soolsma was TFC man of the match by far. The only offensive player that provided a spark for us. Pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Frei was hit or miss on this day. For his standards, he had a poor game and was pretty fortunate.

Maicon dd his usual thing, moment of brilliance to put the ball in the net. Funny it was just 2 days ago some of us were saying the guy has a knack for scoring goals and others were comparing him to Barrett. Anyways, when he plays as a striker, he scores goals.

Cordon is the best AM we have right now so let's just keep playing the kid. Forget about shitty Peterson, thank god he's hurt.

Stevanovic should've come on as a left wing after it was obvious Plata was having a rough game. Hey Winter, remember those good games he had on the left wing before you moved him to forward? Yeah, maybe it's time to try that again.

DeGuzman was his typical self. Nice nifty moves, while at the same time had a terrible give away in the middle of the park that almost lead to a goal and a horrible shot that can't even be considered on net. He also could've blocked Hassli's goal if he felt like trying to get in the way of a ball, but we all know that's not his strength.

As for the team in general, they were absolutely schooled by Vancouver yesterday. No doubt Vancouver were the better team. I still expect that someone in this thread has already said that for a while there, we played the best soccer we've ever played. Seems to be consistent with us getting a goal.

We played about 10 mins of football there, so I'm still waiting to see these improvements others see. Right now the only thing we are consistent at is playing poorly. Winter also continues to make some weird ass selections but I still give him the benefit of the doubt. After all I wasn't sure about Soolsma playing over Martina and he actually had a great game.

yeah i feel like Soolsma has been proving himself in games lately, especially over Martina (who i still value). Stevanovic shouldnt be played as a striker unless its absolutely necessary and i do agree he shoulda been brought on. That being said i wasnt quite so disappointed by the results of our subs as i have been with other games

DangerRed
In case you were at all doubtful, last night reinforced that we're an embarrassingly bad team. Winter put it best: we played poorly and managed to score, which is great.

But that's about it.

Dan Gargan is just a few notches worse than Adrian Cann, who should've been redcarded for that penalty area sweep and also almost cost us goals on two separate occassions through ball-watching and failed clearances. JDG continued to cough up the ball. And Plata got bossed because of his size.

Soolsma (obviously) and Cordon were brightspots, as is Santos's relatively consistent ability to finish the ball when presented the chance.

But go and watch the Game in Six on TFC's website and tell me that the result reflects the quality of play. The score, as the announcers said numerous times, should've been 3-0 or 4-0 but Van is suffering from the junior-itis of weak finishing. They'll find their pace and it'll be more than just Hassli (who's exactly what a DP should be) bagging goals.

We're sad and if we're not careful, Van will come to Toronto next week and lift the Cup in our faces.

Ossington Mental Youth
Dunno that id say Vancouver was the waaaaaaaay better team but they definitely deserved to win between the woodwork and the poor officiating (thankful for it)

123 elite
05-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Horrible playing surface.

I thought Soolsma was dragging the ball too wide and his crosses, though impressive, were merely hopeful lobs into the area. He needs to come inside sometimes. Plata was awful. Gargan was caught out many times. JDG was his usual invisible self and Frei was shakey. Not a lot to get excited about. Thought Tchani and Cordon looked ok at times. we were lucky

dupont
05-19-2011, 08:33 AM
What a lucky tie that was. TFC was badly outplayed. The goal was really nice though.
Anyways, it's a nice result for us so now we just need a good performance at home.

nimamalek
05-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Cann:
Cann doesnt play well on turf, lets not over react. If we had other options Aron would start them, but Decoy and Cann have played well until last night.

Gold:
young kid who had a couple of bad touches, thats what you get with young guys, if you want them to grow you have to accept the mistakes. I dont remember Sturgis doing anything useful in the games he played, Gold is a better option.

Gargan:
contributed to both goals against the fire, and let Hassli cut in on the goal last night, he just doesnt cover his men tight enough, he should be playing in the NASL

The Ref:
Petrescu is the second worst ref in the MLS (Toledo being the worst), Anyone playing at a high level around these areas has dealt with him, and even in the OSL/CSL he was a bad ref, not sure how he got the job with the MLS and Canadian Championship.

The Penalty:
It was a clear penalty there should be no arguement about it

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Did I hear the announcers correctly when they said BC Place was going to have turf?

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! In VANCOUVER no less where they have 3 days of snow a year, they're not going to have grass! :smilielol5:

Suck it Fancouver...

ExiledRed
05-19-2011, 08:54 AM
A supporter on this board can in no way troll by saying something positive about this club. Your disagreement with Gazza began with your sarcasm.

the dialogue with Gazza was banter that carried over from the match thread. I thought he was being ironic, I honestly didnt think he was being serious by calling that display 'genius.'

I wasnt calling Gazza a troll, in any way.

Ill leave you to your board now. See you in 112

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 08:56 AM
I have to agree with ER, I thought Gazza was being sarcastic as well until his later posts when I realized he was being serious.

ensco
05-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Ill leave you to your board now. See you in 112

I hope you don't mean this.

billyfly
05-19-2011, 08:58 AM
No one can say that TFC never have any luck anymore.

ExiledRed
05-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I hope you don't mean this.

give it a few months, you know what im like

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Did I hear the announcers correctly when they said BC Place was going to have turf?

But what else can you put in a domed stadium?

Besides, the Whitecaps owner has tried desperately to build an outdoor grass stadium but can not get approval because of political reasons.

bgnewf
05-19-2011, 09:07 AM
TFC Ties Whitecaps Away in Voyageurs Cup - Video Blog

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/05/tied-in-vancouver/

Post game video thoughts on TFC's plucky draw away in Vancouver to successfully kick off the Voyageurs Cup Final series versus the Whitecaps. In this edition I take a look back at the game in detail, throw some plaudits to some well deserving players and I talk about, officiating aside, how TFC was actually well deserving of something from the game.

Your comments are always welcome and of course appreciated.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 09:09 AM
But what else can you put in a domed stadium?

Besides, the Whitecaps owner has tried desperately to build an outdoor grass stadium but can not get approval because of political reasons.

No, you're right of course. Still, the irony of the warmest and wettest place in Canada not having grass? Priceless.

Derko
05-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Thank Christ someone else can see that!!

Derko
05-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Maybe Attakora, Central Defender whom has something to prove, a bit of a no brainer, imho

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Maybe Attakora, Central Defender whom has something to prove, a bit of a no brainer, imho

Well he has worked his way onto the bench, maybe he can make the starting line up next game?

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Winter put it best: we played poorly and managed to score, which is great.

But that's about it.

Dan Gargan is just a few notches worse than Adrian Cann, who should've been redcarded for that penalty area sweep and also almost cost us goals on two separate occassions through ball-watching and failed clearances. JDG continued to cough up the ball. And Plata got bossed because of his size.

Soolsma (obviously) and Cordon were brightspots, as is Santos's relatively consistent ability to finish the ball when presented the chance.

But go and watch the Game in Six on TFC's website and tell me that the result reflects the quality of play. The score, as the announcers said numerous times, should've been 3-0 or 4-0 but Van is suffering from the junior-itis of weak finishing. They'll find their pace and it'll be more than just Hassli (who's exactly what a DP should be) bagging goals.

We're sad and if we're not careful, Van will come to Toronto next week and lift the Cup in our faces.

I don't disagree with any of these points. However, I thought the match was evenly played during the first half. The major turning point from my vantage point was the loss of Tchani to start the second half. Without Tchani, our undersized midfield of JDG, Gold, and Cordon had a very difficult time breaking up plays and controlling the middle of the park. If anyone doubted his importance to the club prior to the match, last night revealed just how integral Tchani is to our defensive midfield presence.

tfcleeds
05-19-2011, 09:40 AM
If anything, maybe Cann needs a rest, as was pointed out earlier. But he's played like shite in general all season. Whether it's the change in the system from Prekiball, or whether he's still sulking over not getting what he wanted contract-wise, I don't know. But a change clearly needs to be made, if only temporary.

Attakora on the bench was a good sign at least - maybe he's that closer to actually getting some playing time.

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2011, 09:40 AM
winter seems stubborn and set in his ways.

i like his style of football, but not his all or none ways.

you arent dealing with million dollar players here, they need to be mentally coached aswell

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Sorry ManU, I could not disagree more. This has nothing to do with my frustrations with TFC. It could have been two different teams out there and I would say the same thing, we got bossed in the first half. We're lucky we get out of it with our shirts on and it had nothing to do with Tchani, his impact was minimal although his loss definitely intensified their domination. But we were on our heels from the get-go.

bones
05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking Winter put out the lineup he did and was forced to use subs that maybe he wasn't planning on, because the team has a crap load of games in a short period of time. We have a tough game on Sunday in Colorado and will need some legs for that, then back at the NCC on Wednesday then home Saturday vs Philthy. We need to spread the players out to get results that we can. I think we should look at it from the perspective that we've saved some legs that will be able to step in fresh that are supposed to be key elements to our team on Sunday now. We were lucky to take away 1 point last night, but most importantly, we got an away goal and are now in the drivers seat.

Bones...

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm thinking Winter put out the lineup he did and was forced to use subs that maybe he wasn't planning on, because the team has a crap load of games in a short period of time. We have a tough game on Sunday in Colorado and will need some legs for that, then back at the NCC on Wednesday then home Saturday vs Philthy. We need to spread the players out to get results that we can. I think we should look at it from the perspective that we've saved some legs that will be able to step in fresh that are supposed to be key elements to our team on Sunday now. We were lucky to take away 1 point last night, but most importantly, we got an away goal and are now in the drivers seat.

Bones...

I don't see squad rotation at all.

What I see is that Winter has about 13-14 players he trusts and that is all he uses.

Last night we had the same starting line up as Saturday.

I'm willing to bet on Sunday we start the same line up minus the injured players. And possibly add guys returning from injury.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
ill be really interested to see how we do after all the match congestion

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Sorry ManU, I could not disagree more. This has nothing to do with my frustrations with TFC. It could have been two different teams out there and I would say the same thing, we got bossed in the first half. We're lucky we get out of it with our shirts on and it had nothing to do with Tchani, his impact was minimal although his loss definitely intensified their domination. But we were on our heels from the get-go.

I don't know about that. The majority of Vancouver's scoring chances, including their goal, hit post, hit crossbar, and missed penalty came in the first 30 minutes of the second half.

Vancouver may have a had slight edge in play in the first half, but nothing remotely close to the way they dominated early in the second half after Tchani's injury.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 09:49 AM

What I see is that Winter has about 13-14 players he trusts and that is all he uses.

I'm willing to bet on Sunday we start the same line up minus the injured players. And possibly add guys returning from injury.

sounds about right and i dont blame him, the 13-14 players are going to be the core (give or take a few players, along with alot of additions), only prob is exhaustion is bound to set in

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 09:50 AM

This is one aspect of Winter's coaching style that concerns me. He has a tendency to go with the hot hand and ride the players until they are exhausted or get injured.

I really hope we see some fresh faces in the lineup on Sunday against Colorado.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't know about that. The majority of Vancouver's scoring chances, including their goal, hit post, hit crossbar, and missed penalty came in the first 30 minutes of the second half.

Vancouver may have a had slight edge in play in the first half, but nothing remotely close to the way they dominated early in the second half after Tchani's injury.

This I will agree with.

I am trying to find stats on the game, but the WCFC website doesn't give much and the TFC website is even worse. Sportsnet only has video highlights and Soccernet doesn't even have the NCC on their scoresheet! :eek:

bones
05-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Stevanovic, Martina, Attakora, Gordon (maybe), Yourassowsky (maybe) could be fresh and available.

We're going to be very tired if we don't make some changes.

Bones...

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 09:55 AM
id be ok with all those guys playing in lieu of other players that were ont he field last night

ensco
05-19-2011, 09:55 AM
This is one aspect of Winter's coaching style that concerns me. He has a tendency to go with the hot hand and ride the players until they are exhausted or get injured.

I really hope we see some fresh faces in the lineup on Sunday against Colorado.

If this is true, Winter's got an interesting definition of "hot hand", seeing as this team has won 5 out of 23 games (in all competitions).

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
we won against Edmonton too

Azerban
05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
If this is true, Winter's got an interesting definition of "hot hand", seeing as this team has won 2 out of 20 games (in all competitions).

interesting math

e: fucking pisschrist i'm being beaten up and down today

ensco
05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
interesting math

Oops. I fixed it, it's 6 out of 23 games, mostly against terrible teams....still interesting

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
If this is true, Winter's got an interesting definition of "hot hand", seeing as this team has won 4 out of 20 games (in all competitions).

I don't think we've played nearly that many games, but by hot hand, I meant individual player performances that Winter was satisfied with.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Oops. I fixed it, it's 5 out of 23 games, mostly against terrible teams....still interesting

Ensco, unless you're including the preseason, TFC has played 11 league matches, and 3 NCC matches for a total of 14.

TFC has a combined record of 4 wins, 4 losses, and 6 draws so far this season.

Don't make it worse than it already is! :D

rocker
05-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't disagree with any of these points. However, I thought the match was evenly played during the first half. The major turning point from my vantage point was the loss of Tchani to start the second half. Without Tchani, our undersized midfield of JDG, Gold, and Cordon had a very difficult time breaking up plays and controlling the middle of the park. If anyone doubted his importance to the club prior to the match, last night revealed just how integral Tchani is to our defensive midfield presence.

This is exactly how I saw it.

It was an even first half (as the possession numbers related by the Dobber revealed), with Vanny perhaps having a few better chances on goal. But not a domination. Once Tchani left, you could feel the lack of presence in the midfield. And despite what Duane Rollins wrote today about Cordon playing well, I thought Cordon played poorly as Tchani's replacement. Cordon looked a bit lost out there and really didn't contribute a whole lot (he could have hustled a bit more on Hassli's goal too.... he was steps away from blocking that shot but made a feeble attempt).

ensco
05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
^ Listen, all those preseason games against weak teams, they don't matter in the standings, but if Winter is installing a "system", they count.

You're right, they've won 6 of 23, including Red Star Belgrade and Charleston. Having counting problems this morning.

Phil
05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
This I will agree with.

I am trying to find stats on the game, but the WCFC website doesn't give much and the TFC website is even worse. Sportsnet only has video highlights and Soccernet doesn't even have the NCC on their scoresheet! :eek:

I know at the end of the first half possesion was 51% TFC and Vancouver 49%.

Second half Vancouver found another gear for sure.

As for the reffing, I don't like it but at least I feel some karma was there after other games in this tourny from the last few years - we were denied many game changing penalties.

We stole a point, but hell it was better than the last time we played Vancouver.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I was looking for Shots on Goal (specifically, when we took our first shot on net) and where possession was on the pitch. I think that might tell us what we'd need to know.

But you're right, 1-1 is better than 4-2 and 100% of the board can agree with that!

Beach_Red
05-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I thought the match was evenly played during the first half.

Yes, that's true. So, it shows how far this team has to go. We're pleased that the first half was evenly played against an expansion team that hasn't won a game in the league yet - except for the one against us.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 10:14 AM
*Zing!*

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Yes, that's true. So, it shows how far this team has to go. We're pleased that the first half was evenly played against an expansion team that hasn't won a game in the league yet - except for the one against us.

well sure we'd love a 10-0 thumping with stylish passes and fireworks at the end commemorating the moment but that didnt happen. ill gladly take what we got. That doesnt mean i dont expect better in the future

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 10:19 AM
This is exactly how I saw it.

It was an even first half (as the possession numbers related by the Dobber revealed), with Vanny perhaps having a few better chances on goal. But not a domination. Once Tchani left, you could feel the lack of presence in the midfield. And despite what Duane Rollins wrote today about Cordon playing well, I thought Cordon played poorly as Tchani's replacement. Cordon looked a bit lost out there and really didn't contribute a whole lot (he could have hustled a bit more on Hassli's goal too.... he was steps away from blocking that shot but made a feeble attempt).

Without Gordon and Tchani in the lineup at any given time, TFC has virtually no presence in the air either on 2/3 of the pitch.

Beach_Red
05-19-2011, 10:19 AM
*Zing!*

I don't really want to keep bringing up things like that, it just seems that there's no sense of urgency around this team, it all feels too casual, like, "Yeah, relax we're rebuilding, it's going to be a while, don't worry about it."

I don't want to see guys running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and no one wants to hear the management talking like Mo, saying there's a big signing about to happen, but... it seems like when everyone knows there's this deep a hole to dig out of something more should be happening.

KGH
05-19-2011, 10:21 AM

So I watched Soolsma last night and a couple points about his pace:

1) Straight line he's got above average speed for a forward.

2) What makes him look slow is that he's not that nimble. He can't change directions quickly and thats when he gets caught and looks slow.

He had one nifty move towards the end of the first half where he played a pass between his legs and then took off down the camera side of the pitch. I was actually shocked at what I witnessed.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 10:21 AM
it took a while but Soolsma seems to be coming out of his shell, lets hope hes consistent

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Who's pleased? I feel fortunate with that result, but not pleased.

Vancouver was healthy, well rested, and firing on all cylinders.

My point was that with a healthy roster, including Gordon, Tchani, and one of our regular starting left backs, I don't think the match would have been nearly as one sided in the second half.

Whoop
05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Didn't Vancouver rest a bunch of their players on the weekend for this match?

Darlofletch
05-19-2011, 10:31 AM
vancouver did a great job taking plata out of the game, whereas soolsma on the right looked really good against Alain Rochat, who isn't a bad defender at all. main difference, chiumiento really provided no help. as soon as plata went off, chimiento switched to their right side, up against gargan, and looked very dangerous.

So in a way, even though he barely did anything, plata contributed by forcing them to have chiumiento on the other wing, so they could concentate on stopping him. Hopefully he learns soon how to be effective when other teams are shutting him down, as he's going to get a lot of that from here on in.

soolsma had a great game, sanots was invisible, but that was a lovely finish for the goal.

thought williams had a good game, made some important challenges and looked good and unpanicked in possession. cann had a rough game, gargan was gargan, almost always on the verge of disaster but most of the time hustled enough to just about save himself. Didn't look good on hassli's goal, but made up for it with the pass out to soolsma for our goal.

all in all, a decent first half road performance, as shitshow of a start to the second half, and then we got back into it.

hated the harden sub, how good have vancouver looked late in games at home, how many times have they scored injury time goals against teams sitting back to defend? answers, very, and 3. and we just sit back and invite them to come at us? with 15 minutes left.

we got lucky, an obvious penalty, and an inadvertent handball that would have been very harsh weren't called against us. gargan's 'backpass' would have only been an indirect free kick, but from that close in it would have been very dangerous.

next week's going to be tense. hopefully we'll play better. if not we'll lose, no way we can be that lucky again.

play as much of the b team as you possibly can on sunday. let stevanovic and martina try to prove themselves, similar to how soolsma did. give cordon some experience, put sturgis in the shop window to try and maybe get some allocation money for him. Let attakora prove his point. rest frei if he wants to rest. we were never going to win in colorado anyway.

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Good point.

And we trot out pretty much the same line up each match.

And Vancouver will be off this weekend while we play the Rapids.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Yes, all of their top players (7 if I'm not mistaken) including Hassli, Camilo, Dunfield, Salinas, Chiumento, etc.

I hope Winter takes the same approach on Sunday considering that Vancouver has the weekend off.

Whoop
05-19-2011, 10:35 AM
But it could also had a bearing on yesterday's performance.

Vancouver rested some of their players for the match last night, while TFC didn't rest anyone on Saturday for yesterday's match.

Gazza
05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
I wonder what kind of team Winter fields in Colorado? We looked pretty gassed last night. The turf didn't do us any favours either.

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 10:38 AM
But it could also had a bearing on yesterday's performance.

Vancouver rested some of their players for the match last night, while TFC didn't rest anyone on Saturday for yesterday's match.

Sure it had a bearing. Winter wanted to win at home against Chicago and Thordarson felt the NCC match was more important than their weekend encounter on the road against New England.

Yohan
05-19-2011, 10:44 AM
He seems lumbering, but sure can make defenders look stupid.
I really think Soolsma should get a start at AM to see what he can do. He seemed to have good technical qualities and makes decent decisions with the ball. At AM, his lack of pace won't matter as much.

being a captain is more than doing well on the pitch. yes, leading by example is important, but I haven't seen anything that indications that Santos is a good captain in the locker room

Seriously dude? You wish that a TFC player got hurt?

Darlofletch
05-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Sure it had a bearing. Winter wanted to win at home against Chicago and Thordarson felt the NCC match was more important than their weekend encounter on the road against New England.

yep, and I have no probelm at all with going for the home win against Chicago, but please please please, don't be a hero and try for the away win in colorado at the expense of this.

the lineup he put out against edmonton at home though (where gordon got injured) doesn't fill me with confidence that winter believes in squad rotation all that much.

mightydrm
05-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I am usually the glass half full guy, but having only seen the second half, must say that we did not look good.

Random observations: JDG was solid, except for one giveaway; (and it was Plata Hassili beat for the goal, not JDG as someone said earlier); Frei looked out of position several times - may not have been his fault, but a worry; Gargan actually played pretty well; Cordon looks like he has some potential; I agree with those who applaud the play of Soolsma and Santos' finishing.

I don't agree with the criticism of Winters selections - except for the first vancouver game, I think he has done really well. But I am getting concerned about his locker room talks - the team several times has been at its worst coming out of the locker room - like at the start of the second half. What gives?

mightydrm
05-19-2011, 11:24 AM
and is there any news today on the injuries?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
id like to know who in general is injured

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
id like to know who in general is injured

Me too.

Sometimes the previews to our MLS matches list our injured players. But that doesn't give us info like severity and time lines for returns.

DangerRed
05-19-2011, 11:39 AM
ill be really interested to see how we do after all the match congestion

Your question can be taken to mean several things, so it depends what you mean:

If you're asking where we'll be in the standings immediately after this period of congestion, I think the point tally we've seen to date gives you a good proxy for what that will look like: not very good.

If you're asking how our performance will change after this period of congestion, it stands to reason that it will improve somewhat. What i don't expect will happen is all of a sudden the fewer number of games will somehow lift us to better form. I'm betting we'll finish somewhere in the bottom half of the table, a few points outside the lucky HALF of the league that gets in.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Me too.

Sometimes the previews to our MLS matches list our injured players. But that doesn't give us info like severity and time lines for returns.

yeah, i never trust those things cus they put people in the wrong positions etc etc, itd still be nice to get a clear answer from our FO on this (especially with Bouchiba)

Your question can be taken to mean several things, so it depends what you mean:

If you're asking where we'll be in the standings immediately after this period of congestion, I think the point tally we've seen to date gives you a good proxy for what that will look like: not very good.

If you're asking how our performance will change after this period of congestion, it stands to reason that it will improve somewhat. What i don't expect will happen is all of a sudden the fewer number of games will somehow lift us to better form. I'm betting we'll finish somewhere in the bottom half of the table, a few points outside the lucky HALF of the league that gets in.

its the latter, im curious to see how our team/players will do with more rest and less pressure, im not by any means suggesting we will lift the cup or shield but im wondering whether it will make an immediate positive difference not having to play two games a week. not swaying one way or the other, just curious.

Oblio2
05-19-2011, 11:50 AM
MoM:

http://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/javaImages/10/33/0,,10442~3289872,00.jpg

and

http://www.dreamstime.com/soccer-goal-thumb4885315.jpg

Juanito
05-19-2011, 11:55 AM
3 stars

1. soolsma
2. frei
3. woodwork

Soolsma
Frei
The Ref

CretanBull
05-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I was looking for Shots on Goal (specifically, when we took our first shot on net) and where possession was on the pitch. I think that might tell us what we'd need to know.

I forget at what stage in the game it was, but at one point they show an on-screen graphic that had SoG 9-4 and corners 5-3 both in Vancouver's favour.

drexel10
05-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Considering it is a home and away, Vancouver really had to press to get a result. So by them outplaying us is pretty much natural in these types of affairs. The result was an added bonus for us, as Vancouver has to try and score at BMO. All things conisdered, it was a good result for us.

__wowza
05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't want to see guys running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and no one wants to hear the management talking like Mo, saying there's a big signing about to happen, but... it seems like when everyone knows there's this deep a hole to dig out of something more should be happening.

i'd have to disagree, i see the pieces falling into place, they're just falling in slower than many of us want and/or like. we're in a deep hole, but we're tunneling out of it, i'd be sure the tunnel's re-enforced than have it collapse on us because of quick fixes.

/tunneling metaphor.

MartinUtd
05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
i'd have to disagree, i see the pieces falling into place, they're just falling in slower than many of us want and/or like. we're in a deep hole, but we're tunneling out of it, i'd be sure the tunnel's re-enforced than have it collapse on us because of quick fixes.

/tunneling metaphor.

Agreed. I look at the depth quality brought in by Winter and it's miles ahead of what Preki/Mo had to show for themselves. He also refrained from making promises in the first year. If we were all a little more realistic things might not seem so dire.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 02:29 PM

/tunneling metaphor.

I feel like I am watching Shawshank Redemption.

http://www.thequarterlifequest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/andy-tunnels-1.jpg

Do we have to go through a tunnel of shit to get to the other side? All I want to know is when am I going to get a chance to feel like this about our team?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RhoiX9HEM_o/TCrQ4D26c3I/AAAAAAAABf0/s_9LKE0VvAM/s1600/tim-robbins.jpg

ManUtd4ever
05-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I feel like I am watching Shawshank Redemption.

http://www.thequarterlifequest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/andy-tunnels-1.jpg

Do we have to go through a tunnel of shit to get to the other side? All I want to know is when am I going to get a chance to feel like this about our team?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RhoiX9HEM_o/TCrQ4D26c3I/AAAAAAAABf0/s_9LKE0VvAM/s1600/tim-robbins.jpg

LOL, one of the greatest movies of all time.

ExiledRed
05-19-2011, 02:39 PM
actually, that tunnel took 18 years to reach.

18 years of getting raped by the other inmates and fucked over by the bureaucrat in charge.

I hope the analogy doesnt stick.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 02:41 PM
maybe just the rape by other inmates part. im ok with that part.

TFCRegina
05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
LOL, one of the greatest movies of all time.

No lies. It really is.

Roogsy
05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
actually, that tunnel took 18 years to reach.

18 years of getting raped by the other inmates and fucked over by the bureaucrat in charge.

I hope the analogy doesnt stick.

:lol:

Oh man ,the movie works so well in this case doesn't it?

This is Roogsy after the game last night.

http://www.dvdactive.com/images/reviews/screenshot/2004/11/shawshank_redemption_5.jpg

ExiledRed
05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
maybe just the rape by other inmates part. im ok with that part.

Im not sure I know where your coming from with this.....

Im not sure I want to know either

menefreghista
05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Agreed. I look at the depth quality brought in by Winter and it's miles ahead of what Preki/Mo had to show for themselves. He also refrained from making promises in the first year. If we were all a little more realistic things might not seem so dire.

I'm confused as to where this depth is people speak of?

Winter has a very small squad of players he consistently uses. That's not what happens when you have depth.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Im not sure I know where your coming from with this.....

Im not sure I want to know either

FUCK... this is the red patch boys forum

:D:D:D

FreekAce
05-19-2011, 02:52 PM
because the real depth is still being worked on. depth means players you can count on, not a bunch of players where half are useless. a situation we are in now. turning those players around is not done overnight.

KRO
05-19-2011, 03:20 PM
and is there any news today on the injuries?
I've seen nothing, but Peterson's looked like a classic hamstring which is 2-3 weeks.
Tchani just tweeted this -

"God will get me through this like He always do."

Doesn't sound too optimistic.

Darlofletch
05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I've seen nothing, but Peterson's looked like a classic hamstring which is 2-3 weeks.
Tchani just tweeted this -

"God will get me through this like He always do."

Doesn't sound too optimistic.

Hopefully it's not a high ankle sprain. I googled that phrase and it's a bit depressing, talking about recovery periods of months.

Brooker
05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
So I'm curious. If it was Leafs in a Stanley Cup semifinal game going head-to-head against those teams in that game, what percentage of RPB do you think would watch the TFC game?

As to it somehow being different for Nash as a part-owner, I don't see that.

Okay... just so I understand...

You're saying the owner of a franchise is no different than the fans, in the sense that he has the same responsibilities to show up, or not show up, as the average joe. Really?

Judging by the talk on the SouthSiders message board, this was their biggest game of the season and they aren't too happy their owner snubbed it.

levyashin
05-19-2011, 05:27 PM
:picard:this was my expression just as Cann lunged at the vancouver player.penalty,red card,game over 3-0 finish.:Dmy reaction to the non-call.T.F.C.stole this one.If Winter was such a world class defender why does he not show this team how to DEFEND.Diving in instead of staying on your feet;6 men across the 18yd box nobody attacking the ball ;man to man marking absent;opposition ALWAYS has an extra man.players not tracking back fast enough;GOAL SIDE;----THIS IS ALL BASIC TACTICS THAT A COACH TEACHES AT THE UNDER 10 level.
----enough of a rant!!!right now this team is so far behind the rest that the only way is up.The bright spots are in no particular order---Frei;Eckersley;Williams;Yourrawsky;Tchani;Gordon;S antos;Plata-----------thats not even a full team never mind a squad.

Wingback6
05-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Well, this is dumb and reactionary. Does he need to be sat for a game or two, yes, but that is not uncommon. For the most part he has been solid, but how many games has he been playing a week... at least two? that is a lot for any outfield player, even a centreback. Problem is, TFC don't have any competent LCB replacements, as opposed to RCB where they have Williams/Harden/Attakora to choose from.

jazzy
05-19-2011, 10:09 PM

if you'd came out to reserve game, you'd know him. and why he is ahead of Srurgis......he was in JDG's position and ordeerd everyone around and showed well....His mother who flew in from Texas knew everything about the players and team, showed amazing support, he's a strong DM ...

MartinUtd
05-19-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm confused as to where this depth is people speak of?

Winter has a very small squad of players he consistently uses. That's not what happens when you have depth.

I meant that the average player brought in by Winter/Mariner have been more skilled than the ones let go. After the likes of Mista, Nane, Usanov, Sanyang, Hscanovics and Garcia I think I'd rather see an academy kid and the possibility that we'll use the cap/roster space to sign a proper difference maker.

DichioTFC
05-20-2011, 02:30 AM
The Nicaraguan opponent will be decided Saturday @ 6pm. I'm sure someone, somewhere will find a stream for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Primera_Divisi%C3%B3n_de_Nicaragua #Final_2

mightydrm
05-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Really puzzled that people say that Winter uses the same line up too much. He has used at least 20 players this year, including DeRo. Three weeks ago, people were calling for stability. Like, hello?

ExiledRed
05-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Really puzzled that people say that Winter uses the same line up too much. He has used at least 20 players this year, including DeRo. Three weeks ago, people were calling for stability. Like, hello?

Actually theres been a pattern to the madness, that I cant fault Winter for.

He is rotating and resting, taking into account turf, travel and tight schedule, and he did it without fielding the B team in the NCC, which is very positive because if he fielded the same team every game all the starters would be dead on theor feet next Wednesday.

Eckersley was rested between Edmonton games, and Stev, Martina, yourassowsky and Santos have all at times been rested since we first played Edmonton. I think we will see Plata coming on late on Sunday too.

People were talking about Santos being purposefully benched, and I was pretty sure there was more to it than that.

Whats going on with Attakora is a mystery to me though.

mightydrm
05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Agreed re Nana. But let's see what happens in Colorado