PDA

View Full Version : TFC listed in World Football Challenge tournament

moralis
05-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Looks like TFC is in the World Football Challenge Tournament:

World Football Challenge
This summer, ESPN Deportes will provide Spanish-language television coverage of the third annual World Football Challenge. Beginning on July 13 and concluding on July 30, four of the best soccer teams in Europe – Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Manchester City– will face off top North American teams – Club America, New England Revolution, Los Angeles Galaxy, Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC, Chicago Fire, Chivas and Chivas USA- at some of the most recognized stadiums across the U.S.
Under the agreement, ESPN will air more than 10 live matches of the tournament across four different platforms including: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3.com and ESPN Deportes. The Spanish-language network will also present extensive news and information coverage following the entire tournament with special reports for Fuera de Juego and Futbol Picante.

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/05/17/espn-deportes-announces-new-programming-initiatives-for-2011-2012-season/

Nodoubtguy
05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
four of the best soccer teams in Europe – Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Manchester City

so which one isn't one of the best teams??

does that mean that one of those is our friendly???

Suds
05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
We have no games currently scheduled between July 9th - July 20th.

If this is for sure, will we be hearing an announcement about another game in and around July 16th? Nothing on our schedule at this point.

Nodoubtguy
05-17-2011, 02:39 PM
http://www.worldfootballchallenge.com/wfc_splashpage.jpg

JonO
05-17-2011, 02:39 PM
^ Clearly Juventus :lol:

Good catch.

Also don't notice TFC on that schedule...

Edit: Or Juventus - looks like I was right ;)

Pinkie
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.worldfootballchallenge.com/wfc_splashpage.jpg

maybe i'm blind but i don't see tfc.

Nodoubtguy
05-17-2011, 02:42 PM
maybe i'm blind but i don't see tfc.

nope....but United will be on the East coast, and as mentioned we have a free weekend (July 16th)

Suds
^ Clearly Juventus :lol:

Good catch.

Also don't notice TFC on that schedule...

John Molinaro would be dancing around his office right now if it were true Juve were to play TFC @ BMO. :D

trane
^ Juventus has not been one of the best teams in Europe for several years now, so the four is correct.

JonO
05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Well since both Juventus and TFC are mentioned, yet neither are on the schedule... hmmm...

JonO
05-17-2011, 02:44 PM
John Molinaro would be dancing around his office right now if it were true Juve were to play TFC @ BMO. :D
Yup - even more reason for him to chase down this rumour...

menefreghista
05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm looking forward to my $15 loyalty discount.

trane
05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Well since both Juventus and TFC are mentioned, yet neither are on the schedule... hmmm...

So it will be a showdown of the two of the worst managed teams in the past 5 years, is that what you are saying? Since 2007 both have had similar shit management, brough in players that disapointed, tried all kinds of managers that failed, and played like shit as a team, and lastly time and time again wresstled defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Whoop
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Would Juve still be enough of a draw to fill BMO?

I know there are a ton of Juve fans in TO.

sulfur
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
That might be the second friendly I'll actually attend from the kickoff (the first being the Vila game). And I don't count the ASG v West Ham as a friendly.

menefreghista
05-17-2011, 02:54 PM

I think so.

Especially if Del Piero is playing.

Azerban
05-17-2011, 02:55 PM
maybe if i dig deep, i can manage to care about this less than any other friendly

gonna have to push for it though

Roogsy
05-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Should be..that's about as big a name as you can get, even if they've struggled the past few years. I know more Old Lady fans than any other team in Seria A.

Suds
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM

If this were to ever happen I think it would be a big draw. I think a lot of Seire A fans would still come out even if not fans of Juve - maybe they would cheer on TFC. :)

trane
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM

I think so. I may even get out there, to see what they look like. THere are talking about spending big money over the summer, yet again, hopefully well this time. Aguero for Atletico Madrid is a stated target, and once again they are looking for a new manager. Tardelli, I think is the first choice.

ManUtd4ever
05-17-2011, 02:59 PM

So would most residents of Woodbridge, Maple, and St. Clair Ave....:D

Parkdale
05-17-2011, 03:02 PM
At first, I expected them to be talking about Toulouse FC

trane
05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
^ Juve came last year, and they drew OK, but TFC v Juve is more interesting. But Juve is very polullar team in Italy, at one point the most polullar, there is as much support for Milan and know Inter.

I would think that you bring Milan and you could sell out the Sky Dome, if you do not price it way to high.

trane
05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
At first, I expected them to be talking about Toulouse FC

I have always been in favour of a game between the two TFCs for the right to be claim the REAL TFC title.

Whoop
They should have a TFC derby with Toulouse.

werewolf
All the talk from the league about the schedule being to compact, how about leaving open weekends in the schedule for real reasons (Gold Cup).

Roogsy
05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
I have always been in favour of a game between the two TFCs for the right to be claim the REAL TFC title.

http://www.filipinotvchannel.com/includes/New%20TFC.jpg

trane
05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
^ Hahahah. OK they can put together a team, and we can have the REAL TFC CUP tournament.

ManUtd4ever
05-17-2011, 03:10 PM
^ Juve came last year, and they drew OK, but TFC v Juve is more interesting. But Juve is very polullar team in Italy, at one point the most polullar, there is as much support for Milan and know Inter.

I would think that you bring Milan and you could sell out the Sky Dome, if you do not price it way to high.

I grew up near Glen Shields in Vaughan, and a lot of my buddies are Italian. A bunch of us went to the Inter-Panathanaikos match last summer at Rogers Centre and it was a great time with a vibrant atmosphere (even though I was checking my blackberry every 5 minutes for the score of the TFC-Motagua game :D).

No doubt Juve can sell out BMO Field, regardless of ticket prices. If the match is held at Rogers Centre though, prices will have to be reasonable in order to sell out the stadium.

Parkdale
05-17-2011, 03:10 PM
sadly, T(oulouse)FC would probably destroy us, and you know they wouldn't field a bench squad.

trane
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
^ Yes, I know Juve can sell out BMO field, I would go, but Milan can sell out Sky Dome. I gurantee it. Juve was the bigger team in Italy when I was growing up, but since Berlusconi took over Milan in the 80's, several years after I left, Milan has been the top team in Italy.

trane
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
sadly, T(oulouse)FC would probably destroy us, and you know they wouldn't field a bench squad.

I would expect they would, but it would be a a good game to watch, it would have meaning.

menefreghista
05-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Juve v Fiorentina drew about 21,000 at the SkyDome a year ago. Tickets were $45-85.

I remember with sales going slow they started to offer 2 for 1 deals closer to the day of the game.

tfcleeds
05-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Don't forget Tamworth F.C. (Blue Square Premier)

Parkdale
05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
I would expect they would, but it would be a a good game to watch, it would have meaning.

and a damn good thing Gignac moved to L'OM or he'd single-handedly destroy us.

ManUtd4ever
05-17-2011, 03:18 PM
I hope the friendly ends up being TFC vs Juve so that it can generate some interest in TFC within the Italian community in the GTA. I hate to say it, but some of Toronto's most passionate football supporters haven't really adopted TFC as their club yet, and a high profile friendly with Juve would go a long way in tapping into that potential market.

trane
05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
^ I have alway like Gignac. I am suprised that Lyon has not tried to get him.

Torino FC. I always think of them as FC Torino, but I think the proper name is Torino FC. So there is another TFC.

tfcleeds
05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Speaking of Gignac, he would tear this league apart...

trane
05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
I hope the friendly ends up being TFC vs Juve so that it can generate some interest in TFC within the Italian community in the GTA. I hate to say it, but some of Toronto's most passionate football supporters haven't really adopted TFC as their club yet, and a high profile friendly with Juve would go a long way in tapping into that potential market.

Sure, but it is not enough. TFC simply does not have connections with Italian football traditions, which I think would be needed to get real support from the Italian community overall. The Impact, may get support from the Italian community Canada wide, due to the ownership and style.

Parkdale
05-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Gignac is getting Marseille loot. Plus OL have Lisandro, and I can't either of them stepping aside for the other one.

menefreghista
05-17-2011, 03:23 PM

The GTA Italian community is well aware of TFC. You won't convert any more fans with a friendly against Juve. Just like the Real Madrid friendly didn't help build TFC's fan base.

Winning soccer and an FO that isn't trying to squeeze every last cent out of its fan base would go a longer way to grow the fan base, including among Canadian-Italians in the GTA.

Gazza
05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Speaking of Gignac, he would tear this league apart...

Great use of name insertion!

trane
05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
^ I would have liked to see them together. Lisandro is smaller more like SS, while Gignac more a pure CF. Great parring. Would have like to see it. I know you do not share the sentiment.

Parkdale
05-17-2011, 03:26 PM
sure I'd like to see them together..... in Marseille.

We lost Niang after last season, and Brandao left in a big controversy, so we could use another striker.

ManUtd4ever
05-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Winning soccer and an FO that isn't trying to squeeze every last cent out of its fan base would go a longer way to grow the fan base, including among Canadian-Italians in the GTA.

No argument there...

trane
05-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Parky,

Hahahah. What about together at TFC?

Parkdale
05-17-2011, 03:29 PM
^ Hahahah. What about together at TFC?

ummm...... my imagination is pretty good.... but I can't even begin to pretend something like that could ever happen. (I wish though)

trane
05-17-2011, 03:30 PM
^ But they would tear the league up. Hahahah.

You are better then me, I cannot even imagine an aging Inzaghi at TFC ( this one I mean).

Darlofletch
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
not surprising. once there was no friendly in the season package, it was always going to be a big name coming, real madrid style pricing and all that. I wouldn't put man city in that level with man u, barca, real and juve though.

trane
05-17-2011, 04:17 PM
^ Yeah, not in terms of prestige and history.

Nodoubtguy
05-17-2011, 04:21 PM
PB says no....

Paulbeirne Paul Beirne

@sal_sal I've asked MLS to look into what the heck they are talking about. We have no news to announce. i bet they remove it shortly.

bgnewf
05-17-2011, 04:21 PM
contacted the club looking for an official response to this. Nothing as of yet. Will keep you all posted if I hear anything official.

Suds
05-17-2011, 04:28 PM
^ Yes, I know Juve can sell out BMO field, I would go, but Milan can sell out Sky Dome. I gurantee it. Juve was the bigger team in Italy when I was growing up, but since Berlusconi took over Milan in the 80's, several years after I left, Milan has been the top team in Italy.

If Milan come I'd rather pay to get into one of Berlusconi's parties!:D

trane
05-17-2011, 04:29 PM
^ Now those are expensive.

bgnewf
05-17-2011, 04:53 PM
TFC To Play Big Friendly?

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/05/tfc-to-play-big-friendly/

Some thoughts on unconfirmed reports leaking out Tuesday that Toronto FC will be playing a high profile friendly in July against one of four huge European clubs.

habstfc
05-17-2011, 07:06 PM
not surprising. once there was no friendly in the season package, it was always going to be a big name coming, real madrid style pricing and all that. I wouldn't put man city in that level with man u, barca, real and juve though.

I don't think you could price a TFC vs Juventus game anywhere near what they charged when they played Real Madrid.

ensco
05-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I think it'll be TFC vs Juve, with Del Piero announced as our new DP, and him playing the first half for Juve, the second for TFC.

You heard it here first.

Brooker
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't get it.... Sounds like everybody is talking about a one off match but then how is it a tournament?

ginkster88
05-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Have you seen the Premiership lately? I expect Man City to make some noise during a Champions League run next year... they should get as far as Spurs did, if not further.

It's hard to watch Man City's rise as a Spurs supporter. It's looking more likely that only an Arsenal implosion next year will see Spurs make another Champions appearance.

trane
05-17-2011, 07:40 PM
^ What Darlo meant is that Man City is a new kid on the block without the history of the other clubs. If you read the thread, everyone aknowledges that right now Juve sucks, BUT it is traditional one of the big European clubs, Man City is certainly much better right now, but it is not traditionaly as big of a draw. I am pretty sure that Darlofletch has seen the premier league latelty.

TFCRegina
05-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Field a team of reserves and academy players.

leafsman
05-17-2011, 08:02 PM
im a juve fan so i hope they come

gardooney
05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Saw this last week on the site.And was pissed that the shitecaps got to play Citeh. But it also says a third game yet to be announced. Fingers crossed........:wink:

Manchester City will play Los Angeles Galaxy during their summer 2011 visit to North America.

The Club recently confirmed that Roberto Mancini’s first team squad would take in a pre-season Stateside trip again this July, with a game against new Major League Soccer outfit Vancouver Whitecaps (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2011/April/Manchester-City-to-play-Vancouver-Whitecaps) set to be played on Monday 18 July.
The game in Vancouver will be followed by a mouthwatering game against one of the highest profile clubs in the USA. City will face up to the Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/), who have former England captain David Beckham (http://www.davidbeckham.com/) in their ranks as well as US striker Landon Donovan (http://www.lagalaxy.com/player/landon-donovan) and former Aston Villa man Juan Pablo Angel (http://www.lagalaxy.com/player/juan-pablo-angel). The match will be played at LA Galaxy’s stadium, the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles on Sunday 24 July.
Both games will form part of City’s involvement in the Herbalife World Football Challenge (http://sports.herbalife.com/en-US/Events/World_Football_Challenge.htm), with a third game yet to be announced.
City boss Roberto Mancini (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Players/Management/Roberto-Mancini) is excited about the prospect of facing Galaxy as part of the summer trip. He said: “As always, the summer’s preparations will be very important for us and I am really looking forward to coming to Los Angeles and Vancouver for the games in the World Soccer Challenge.
“The profile of football in America is getting stronger all the time, and David Beckham has done great things to establish the game over there. So it will certainly be interesting for Manchester City to play against David and the rest of the Galaxy team.
“We saw the enthusiasm for football in America when we went out there last summer, it was a really good tour for us. This summer is going to be just as exciting for all of the City players, coaches and hopefully a good number of our fans, who will come out to see us play.“
Further details about the final game of North America visit will be announced in the coming weeks, along with scheduling and ticketing information.

Alonso
05-17-2011, 08:08 PM
So it will be a showdown of the two of the worst managed teams in the past 5 years, is that what you are saying? Since 2007 both have had similar shit management, brough in players that disapointed, tried all kinds of managers that failed, and played like shit as a team, and lastly time and time again wresstled defeat out of the jaws of victory.

HAHAHA!!! Love that.

"TFC.

Wrestling defeat from the jaws of victory since 2007..."

Darlofletch
05-17-2011, 08:15 PM
^ What Darlo meant is that Man City is a new kid on the block without the history of the other clubs. If you read the thread, everyone aknowledges that right now Juve sucks, BUT it is traditional one of the big European clubs, Man City is certainly much better right now, but it is not traditionaly as big of a draw. I am pretty sure that Darlofletch has seen the premier league latelty.

that pretty much sums it up yes, thanks trane. on the pitch they're very close to that level, and may well be ahead of juventus, marketing/drawing a crowd wise I would guess they're still a fair bit behind. probably just out of the bolton realm where we'd get it thrown into a season ticket package, but not at the level where we can charge the really big bucks. not yet.

brad
05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't think you could price a TFC vs Juventus game anywhere near what they charged when they played Real Madrid.

I don't think you could get that price for any team right now, even Madrid again. That game was in the was perfectly timed as far as Ronaldo-mania and the next generation of Galactico's. There was a huge appeal at that time the non-footballing crowd as well.

brad
05-17-2011, 09:08 PM
that pretty much sums it up yes, thanks trane. on the pitch they're very close to that level, and may well be ahead of juventus, marketing/drawing a crowd wise I would guess they're still a fair bit behind. probably just out of the bolton realm where we'd get it thrown into a season ticket package, but not at the level where we can charge the really big bucks. not yet.

I think City are trying to build a fanbase right now. As funny as that article on their site was trying to attract glory hunters, I think it speaks volumes. They need to start turning a profit due to the Fair Play rules, and building a global fan base is the way to do that.

cmonyoureds
05-17-2011, 09:21 PM
not sure the front office wants any noisy neighbours coming to our house. after all they're doing their best to silence the current tenants.

how would they advertise that? we bring you only the second best manchester has to offer......
:reddevil:

habstfc
05-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't think you could get that price for any team right now, even Madrid again. That game was in the was perfectly timed as far as Ronaldo-mania and the next generation of Galactico's. There was a huge appeal at that time the non-footballing crowd as well.

That's exactly why they could charge those prices for the Real Madrid match.

I think they could charge the same prices for a man utd. or a liverpool and easily sell it out.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-18-2011, 01:51 AM
I hope TFC plays a friendly, but this looks like a bit of a non-starter. Juve might be nice, they're being linked with a lot of big players.

bgnewf
05-18-2011, 08:19 AM
UPDATE – Wednesday May 18th

This story has ben removed from the ESPN website. When I checked the story again Wednesday morning the post referencing the World Football Challenge was completely missing. Whether this was due to a complete error or due to them accidentally letting the cat out of the bag we will have to wait and see.

I have reached out to the club for an official comment and have yet to hear anything specific from them either way.

Nodoubtguy
05-18-2011, 08:23 AM
UPDATE – Wednesday May 18th

This story has ben removed from the ESPN website. When I checked the story again Wednesday morning the post referencing the World Football Challenge was completely missing. Whether this was due to a complete error or due to them accidentally letting the cat out of the bag we will have to wait and see.

I have reached out to the club for an official comment and have yet to hear anything specific from them either way.

Posted PB's response yesterday.....

PB says no....

Paulbeirne Paul Beirne

@sal_sal I've asked MLS to look into what the heck they are talking about. We have no news to announce. i bet they remove it shortly.

bgnewf
05-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Posted PB's response yesterday.....

well according to this link the Spanish version of the story is still on their website while the English version is missing from yesterday.

Here is the link to the Spanish version of the story for comparison

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/05/17/espn-deportes-presenta-nuevas-iniciativas-de-programacion-para-la-temporada-2011-2012/

hmmmmmm

Blizzard
05-18-2011, 08:31 AM
well according to this link the Spanish version of the story is still on their website while the English version is missing from yesterday.

Here is the link to the Spanish version of the story for comparison

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/05/17/espn-deportes-presenta-nuevas-iniciativas-de-programacion-para-la-temporada-2011-2012/

hmmmmmm

World Football Challenge
Este verano, ESPN Deportes ofrecerá la cobertura de televisión en español de la tercera edición anual del World Football Challenge. Comenzando el 13 de julio y concluyendo el 30 de julio, cuatro de los mejores equipos de fútbol en Europa - Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus y Manchester City- se enfrentarán con los mejores equipos Norteamericanos - Club América, New England Revolution, Los Angeles Galaxy, Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC, Chicago Fire, Chivas y Chivas USA- en algunos de los estadios más reconocidos en los EE.UU.
Bajo el acuerdo, ESPN transmitirá más de 10 partidos del torneo en vivo a través de cuatro plataformas incluyendo: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3.com y ESPN Deportes. La cadena en español también presentará una cobertura extensa de noticias e información sobre el torneo con reportes especiales en Fuero de Juego y Fútbol Picante.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2011, 08:33 AM
I say focus on the season, have a game every week as it should be (not every 3 days), bring in some reinforcements in the transfer window, and go for the playoffs, something TFC has yet to accomplish.

I like this sentiment for meaningless midseason friendlies. As in don't have them.

bgnewf
05-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Just sent the Spanish link to the story to the club. Awaiting an official response.

ManUtd4ever
05-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I think it'll be TFC vs Juve, with Del Piero announced as our new DP, and him playing the first half for Juve, the second for TFC.

You heard it here first.

LOL, this reminds me of those oldtimer alumni hockey games when Eddy Shack would get traded to the other team during the match.

Parkdale
05-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Remember the glory that was 'Zidane and friends' ??

(also know as the "Zidane, three other guys in Zidane jerseys, 10 minutes of stoppage time, Rohan Rickets committing hard fouls and a 5 foot keeper playing the game of his life" game

ensco
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
LOL, this reminds me of those oldtimer alumni hockey games when Eddy Shack would get traded to the other team during the match.

Always good to see an Eddie Shack reference! I always thought of him when the Dichio thing was in full bloom.

Pele also did this in a Cosmos-Santos game.

Nodoubtguy
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Remember the glory that was 'Zidane and friends' ??

(also know as the "Zidane, three other guys in Zidane jerseys, 10 minutes of stoppage time, Rohan Rickets committing hard fouls and a 5 foot keeper playing the game of his life" game

I saw Zizou play soccer live a few feet from me....that was all I could have asked for that night.

Pinkie
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
I saw Zizou play soccer live a few feet from me....that was all I could have asked for that night.

pretty much that. front row seats in 111. saw my idol live... i don't give a crap what he was doing lol

Nodoubtguy
05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
on a side note, anyone have a list of all the friendlies played at BMO (TFC and non-TFC)???

jaahuuu
05-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Here are the TFC ones:

May 23, 2007 - TFC 0 - 0 Benfica
July 25, 2007 - TFC 2 – 4 Aston Villa
July 5, 2008 - TFC 1 – 1 (3 - 4 pen) Pachuca
July 15, 2008 - TFC 0 – 1 Independiente
July 22, 2009 - TFC 0 – 0 (3 - 4 pen) River Plate
August 7, 2009 - TFC 1 – 5 Real Madrid
July 21, 2010 - TFC 1 – 1 (3 - 4 pen) Bolton Wanderers

Nodoubtguy
05-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Here are the TFC ones:

May 23, 2007 - TFC 0 - 0 Benfica
July 25, 2007 - TFC 2 – 4 Aston Villa
July 5, 2008 - TFC 1 – 1 (3 - 4 pen) Pachuca
July 15, 2008 - TFC 0 – 1 Independiente
July 22, 2009 - TFC 0 – 0 (3 - 4 pen) River Plate
August 7, 2009 - TFC 1 – 5 Real Madrid
July 21, 2010 - TFC 1 – 1 (3 - 4 pen) Bolton Wanderers

Thanks....

Others I can think of are
Benfica vs Celtic
Zidane and Friends

Azerban
05-18-2011, 03:49 PM
the all-star game; no one in their right mind would consider that a competitive game

Red CB Toronto
05-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Did a pair of south american teams play each at BMO?

P-NUTZ
05-19-2011, 12:59 PM
wow. seeing my Juve and TFC play in the comforts of BMO would make me very happy...*sigh*

:drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking:

Nodoubtguy
06-06-2011, 12:54 PM
So American Airlines still includes Toronto in the World Football Challenge

http://the11.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/580x580_WFC_MLS_eblast.jpg

http://the11.ca/2011/06/06/american-airlines-ad-confirms-toronto-fc-will-have-international-friendly/

Nodoubtguy
06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
funny......go to the American Airlines contest site, Juve is out but TFC is still there

http://www.aasoccerchallenge.com/aa_multipromo/may/interiorMayo.php

ginkster88
06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
What a fucking joke of a club.

Edit: What a fucking joke of a graphic designer.

FC Barcelona is listed in two matches, yet their crest appears nowhere on the poster. Chicago are listed as playing Man. United, but Man. City's crest is displayed. Crests for New England, Toronto and Vancouver appear without games being listed for them... I'd say AA needs to fire whatever agency drew this piece of shit up.

Suds
06-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Sure is adding more weight to the idea either TFC was planned to be in the tournament and then pulled out, (or did not officially commit), or they are and still working on the official announcement.

Seems odd that both ESPN and now AA have listed them as participating in this.

Parkdale
06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
good find Nodoubt

ginkster88
06-06-2011, 01:05 PM

FC Barcelona is listed in two matches, yet their crest appears nowhere on the poster. Chicago are listed as playing Man. United, but Man. City's crest is displayed. Crests for New England, Toronto and Vancouver appear without games being listed for them... I'd say AA needs to fire whatever agency drew this piece of shit up.

Since this was pushed to the previous page.

I'm giving zero weight to this poster and think that the club aren't lying to us for once.

Nodoubtguy
06-06-2011, 01:07 PM

City are playing the Whitecaps in Vancouver.....but the missing Barca logo is hilarious!

ginkster88
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
City are playing the Whitecaps in Vancouver.....but the missing Barca logo is hilarious!

But to look at the poster you'd never know that... unless they are the TBA vs. TBA that is being played in New York!! And if this game is supposed to be included, then they are missing BOTH the Barca and Man. Utd. logos, aka arguably the two most recognizable logos in sports.

werewolf
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Barcelona are sponsored by Turkish Airlines, might be conflict of interest. Same with Manchester United.

http://www.bugun.com.tr/newsFiles/1/0/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/1/0/1/0/0/file/90153_galeri_1.jpg

Technorgasm
06-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I went to teh Juve match at Sky Dome. . and I will be going to this if they play BMO.

Amazing. There are a few players in particulatr I will be looking for. . .

menefreghista
06-06-2011, 01:28 PM
My guess is that TFC originally wanted to be a part of this. But with declining interest and trouble selling MLS regular season tickets they realized they couldn't charge Real Madrid type prices and backed out.

Carts
06-06-2011, 01:39 PM
My guess is that TFC originally wanted to be a part of this. But with declining interest and trouble selling MLS regular season tickets they realized they couldn't charge Real Madrid type prices and backed out.

My guess is that TFC originally wanted to be part of it, and planned to be part of it...

Then they realized we'd be absolutely embarrassed out there on the pitch - not beaten, but completely thumped into embarrassment, that they pulled the chute on this one...

Which is a wise move...

Carts...

Don Julio
06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Barcelona are sponsored by Turkish Airlines, might be conflict of interest. Same with Manchester United.

http://www.bugun.com.tr/newsFiles/1/0/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/1/0/1/0/0/file/90153_galeri_1.jpg

City is sponsored by Etihad, their logo's there.

BFin
06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Sal, Paul responded to you on twitter. Thanked you for pointing it out but didn't really offer a second refusal.

moralis
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Found more info on possible TFC-Juventus game from Steve Goff:

http://twitter.com/#!/soccerinsider (http://twitter.com/#%21/soccerinsider)

SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/#%21/SoccerInsider) Steven Goff

Also hearing Toronto as a possible site for a Juventus friendly this summer

2 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SoccerInsider/status/78588619291508736)

#Juventus (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Juventus) training base in Philly area (a match as well?). Charlotte also potential venue for friendly

4 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SoccerInsider/status/78561437995376640)

#Juventus (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Juventus) training base in Philly area (a match as well?). Charlotte also potential venue for friendly

4 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SoccerInsider/status/78561437995376640)

ensco
06-08-2011, 09:09 PM
^Pirlo coming to Toronto after all!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-08-2011, 09:44 PM
My guess is that TFC originally wanted to be part of it, and planned to be part of it...

Then they realized we'd be absolutely embarrassed out there on the pitch - not beaten, but completely thumped into embarrassment, that they pulled the chute on this one...

Which is a wise move...

Carts...

and have decided to play against ROHAN RICKETTS and friends! At a season ticket DISCOUNT of course,,,:drinking: