PDA

View Full Version : .::Role Of The Media::.

JuliquE
05-14-2011, 07:58 AM
After watching the exchange between John Molinaro and Aron Winter, in particular, from the last media scrum, I can't help but feel like this topic was always coming.. especially when I look back at the media scrum on 05/06/2011:

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=3074

J-Mo seems to be almost badgering Winter, with repeatedly asking things already answered and the like. Then came the article, from yesterday.

With the increasing stress of dealing with officiating in this league and it's bizarre rules, it already seems a daunting task to culturally overhaul our club.

I just feel that maybe a little more finesse would go a long way, but something always gets in the way of better judgement, it seems.. be it the whole locker room access bit causing some bitterness or just generally preferring to stir the pot and conjure a little negative murmurs around the organization.

My take, anyway.

Carts
05-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Its interesting you brought this up - as we have been chatting about it in the news thread...

I said that in North America, sometimes you really need to bite your tongue and just say nothing on a subject....

As a member of the media, I know the game - and if you have no ammo, you don't much to go on. Even the most innocent quote can stir the hornets nest...

Say anything, even the simple “Some of you are writing pieces, they’re not well-informed” (which Winter did) will just fire them up to prove him wrong. Ask prodding questions, keep it going, grab a quote or mis-quote here and there...

As soon as Winter said the quote above (bold quote) the hornets nest was stirred up...

You just have to bite your tongue some times - which is not easy at all, but needed...

Carts...

JuliquE
05-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Apologies; hadn't yet checked there, to be honest.

You're probably right, but it's just a shame.

I feel like we ask for this sort of reporting, with all the pessimism among the fans.

menefreghista
05-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Winter is actually lucky that only 2 or 3 guys covering TFC actually try to dig deep and find real stories on this team.

The media covering TFC is rather tame and he should know that considering his experience in Europe.

johnmolinaro
05-14-2011, 09:16 AM
After watching the exchange between John Molinaro and Aron Winter, in particular, from the last media scrum, I can't help but feel like this topic was always coming.. especially when I look back at the media scrum on 05/06/2011:

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=3074

J-Mo seems to be almost badgering Winter, with repeatedly asking things already answered and the like. Then came the article, from yesterday.

I know it seemed like I was badgering him, but I wasn't.

This isn't a criticism of Aron but his accent is thick (he also has a tendency to speak softly) and sometimes I have a hard time understanding him. Hence, I may ask something that he's already answered because I need clarification.

Honestly, I wasn't badgering him.

I quite Aron personally, too. As an Italian football fan, we've had a few discussions away from the media scrum talking about Serie A and his days playing for Lazio and Inter Milan.

John

JuliquE
05-14-2011, 09:24 AM

This isn't a criticism of Aron but his accent is thick (he also has a tendency to speak softly) and sometimes I have a hard time understanding him. Hence, I may ask something that he's already answered because I need clarification.

I quite Aron personally, too. As an Italian football fan, we've had a few discussions away from the media scrum talking about Serie A and his days playing for Lazio and Inter Milan.

John
Fair play, then.

His accent has also seen him misinterpreted, at times.. so this certainly comes of no surprise.

Carts
05-14-2011, 09:46 AM

John

He's a "low talker" - Seinfeld has really touched on everything in the world! :D

To quote Jackie Childs: "...your honour, this woman is obviously a low talker. So either you get some other kind of microphone, or move along!..."

CretanBull
05-14-2011, 09:52 AM
TFC don't get the coverage that any of the Canadian hockey teams get and I don't hear any NHL fans suggesting that the media needs to pull back in anyway. If you think J-Mo was badgering Winter, watch a French language post-game scrum when La Presse and Le Journal de Montréal are roasting Jacques Martin about something far less significant than a contract dispute that might be the reason for the benching of a player. Agree or disagree, you can't say that there isn't a story there.

The media is our access to the team, and they've done a good job of keeping a FO with a poor history of honesty in check.

Shep
05-14-2011, 09:54 AM
He's a "low talker" - Seinfeld has really touched on everything in the world! :D

To quote Jackie Childs: "...your honour, this woman is obviously a low talker. So either you get some other kind of microphone, or move along!..."

yeah he is the mumble master, esp when he's getting interviewed in windy conditions

mastermixer
05-14-2011, 10:15 AM
It is pity.

ensco
05-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Here are examples of when it makes sense to complain about the media:

(i) SAF has famously feuded with the media for years, but it's mostly because he thinks they've improperly attacked his son, a player agent
(ii) Fabio Capello complained when the tabs took pictures of him and his wife on holiday, and he did get an apology as a result

Winter needs to get a hold of himself.

Blazer
05-14-2011, 11:31 AM
The “Ahh, uhh, um” guy needs to fall off the face of the earth or change careers immediately! Not sure if that was this Molinari character you speak of but?! Annoying to listen to with his stutters and useless questions, “How important is it that guys score goals?”

C’mon, don’t waste Winter’s time, more importantly don’t insult TFC fan intelligence.

There really needs to be a revolution of sorts in sports interview questions. I think the door is wide open for someone with enough know-how to make a name for themselves by asking questions that don’t beg for the same regurgitated response. Any monkey can ask the questions asked in this interview. Spice it up!

spark
05-14-2011, 11:39 AM

HAHAHAHA

Hey John would you rather have the low talker or close talker ala Judge Reinhold :D

prizby
05-14-2011, 12:11 PM
role of the toronto media is to stir up a controversy...if there isn't drama, then these guys don't have jobs...its why toronto is one of the toughest sports towns for any player whether it be soccer, baseball, basketball, or hockey

boban
05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
role of the toronto media is to stir up a controversy...if there isn't drama, then these guys don't have jobs...its why toronto is one of the toughest sports towns for any player whether it be soccer, baseball, basketball, or hockey
That's a statement that could be applied anywhere really. Nothing unique to this city.

Davenport
05-14-2011, 12:37 PM
That's a statement that could be applied anywhere really. Nothing unique to this city.
Very true. In fact the press and fans are kinder here than most places.
Toronto Maple Leafs are a perfect example. They are the biggest hockey team in the world.
If Barcelona or Real Madrid went 44 years without winning anything there'd be murders in the street.

Cashcleaner
05-14-2011, 12:49 PM
TFC don't get the coverage that any of the Canadian hockey teams get and I don't hear any NHL fans suggesting that the media needs to pull back in anyway. If you think J-Mo was badgering Winter, watch a French language post-game scrum when La Presse and Le Journal de Montréal are roasting Jacques Martin about something far less significant than a contract dispute that might be the reason for the benching of a player. Agree or disagree, you can't say that there isn't a story there.

The media is our access to the team, and they've done a good job of keeping a FO with a poor history of honesty in check.

And that's really much the main point here. Let's understand that the club has fucked up - both intentionally or not, and the only way we ever found out was through the papers or radio or tv. If the Toronto sports writers covering TFC appear to be adversarial at times, well, I'd much rather that then have them a bunch of toothless lapdogs.

And let's get something else straight - the press here in Toronto is nowhere near as aggressive as many of their counterparts across North America - let alone the world. They're not gutless, but on the other hand they could easily have been more critical of Mo eariler on during his tenure.

rocker
05-14-2011, 01:43 PM
In MLS, TFC probably has the largest and toughest media contingent. Shit, there are MLS cities where there is 1 guy coming to ask the coach a question after a game.

Blazer
05-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I’ve never revered Toronto media as anything other than dull, repetitive, and to some extent, self-important. They’re no more or less critical than any other.

Maybe that’s their problem, they need to be more engaging and focus on the fan’s questions instead of the cyclical monotony.

JuliquE
05-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Well, not quite lapdogs. Perhaps I'm just of the mind that there's a way you can dig deep, with a little class.

LAUL Columbo comes to mind.

boban
05-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I’ve never revered Toronto media as anything other than dull, repetitive, and to some extent, self-important. They’re no more or less critical than any other.

Maybe that’s their problem, they need to be more engaging and focus on the fan’s questions instead of the cyclical monotony.
Agreed. Too many times they serve the owners interest.
To some extent they have been conditioned to accept mediocrity like the fans of this city (esp. Leafs).

Brooker
05-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Seemed like just about every other reporter in the city... asks shit questions....

Cashcleaner
05-15-2011, 10:27 AM
In MLS, TFC probably has the largest and toughest media contingent. Shit, there are MLS cities where there is 1 guy coming to ask the coach a question after a game.

That's probably very true. In so many other MLS cities, the fanbase is either so low that their club doesn't warrant the same level of attention by the press, or in larger markets (LA, New York, etc) they are pushed out of the limelight by other established clubs from other sports.