PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,May,13

denime
05-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Mornin'

No TFC News for now.

Canadian team can benefit from Jackson's strong play (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/05/12/sp-soccer-jackson.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Technorgasm
05-13-2011, 06:59 AM
buy a lottery ticket today.
FRIDAY 13th !
SPOooooooooooooooooooooooooooKY !

How do I buy my ecuadoir tickets today>?

ps. . Dear Valencia - KIRK BROADFOOT FOR CANADA!

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Anyone going to keep up with Norwich in the Premiership next year? Anybody gonna pick up a Jackson kit on June 1st at the game??

zamperina
05-13-2011, 07:04 AM
MLS confirms contact over possible Minnesota expansion

Vikings owners eager to bring MLS to Twin Cities with new stadium in works
May 11, 2011
Simon Borg
MLSsoccer.com

Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf. (http://www.mlssoccer.com/image/minnesota-vikings-owner-zygi-wilf)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2011/05/wilf.jpg
Photo Credit:
Getty Images

NEW YORK — Major League Soccer has confirmed that there has been contact with the ownership group of the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings regarding their interest in an MLS team for the Twin Cities.
“We have kept in contact with the Vikings throughout their stadium process and look forward to learning more about the project,” MLS President Mark Abbott told MLSsoccer.com.
The Wilf family, owners of the Minnesota Vikings, participated in a Tuesday press conference in which it was announced that the NFL team had reached agreement with local municipalities on the construction of a new stadium in Arden Hills, Minn.
“With the event of a full retractable stadium, our goal is to bring Major League Soccer ... to Minnesota,” Zygi Wilf said.
The Vikings’ new stadium, which will include a retractable roof, is set to be constructed just a few miles from downtown Minneapolis and is projected to open in 2015.
The NSC Minnesota Stars, coached by former MLS star Manny Lagos, are currently the state’s highest level of professional soccer, sitting in fourth place in the second division NASL with a 1-1-3 record.

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2011, 07:12 AM
^Is anyone else concerned that MLS sees "$$$" from new prospects and ignore the real problem of attendance elsewhere in the league? Should we be hoping for perhaps moving less successful franchises to new cities vs just heaping more teams into the league?

London
05-13-2011, 07:13 AM
is this an NFL stadium being built??

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2011, 07:15 AM
^Retractable roof? I seriously doubt that's an SSS.

boban
05-13-2011, 07:51 AM
^Is anyone else concerned that MLS sees "$$$" from new prospects and ignore the real problem of attendance elsewhere in the league? Should we be hoping for perhaps moving less successful franchises to new cities vs just heaping more teams into the league?
No. More important to get two divisions where then promotion exist. That's how you get weak teams out of the top division, not moving them.
Never liked moving teams (NA solution). MLS did after all made a conscious move some years ago to structure the game here along the lines how it is elsewhere played.

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2011, 07:59 AM
^I couldn't agree with you more boban. I just wish the rest if the continent believed it could be done. I admit it wouldn't be easy.

Dreadlocks
05-13-2011, 08:00 AM

Agreed. I'd also add that the talent level is already pretty watered down. Add another team and the play could get worse imo.

menefreghista
05-13-2011, 08:02 AM
No. More important to get two divisions where then promotion exist.

There will never be promotion/relegation.

----------------

MLS doesn't care about SSS. They would prefer it, but in the end they care that a team has the ability to pay the franchise fee and appears to be stable enough to run the team.

drexel10
05-13-2011, 08:04 AM
^Retractable roof? I seriously doubt that's an SSS.

If they copy BCE in Vancouver it can be accomadating as a SSS. They might just have to use the roof concept of BCE. I would be more concerned about field turf. Portland, Seattle and Vancouver being allowed to use field turf is a bit of a downer on what are fantastic markets.

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2011, 08:10 AM
If they copy BCE in Vancouver it can be accomadating as a SSS. They might just have to use the roof concept of BCE. I would be more concerned about field turf. Portland, Seattle and Vancouver being allowed to use field turf is a bit of a downer on what are fantastic markets.

I use SSS as Soccer Specific Stadium. I was just relaying my doubts that this new stadium would only be for footie. Shared space like BCE sounds more likely.

boban
05-13-2011, 08:10 AM
There will never be promotion/relegation
Not with fans like you not pushing for it.

menefreghista
05-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Not with fans like you not pushing for it.

LOL.

Its not my job to lobby for or against it.

I just can't imagine a league with franchise fees having it.

The more likely scenario is a larger MLS with an unbalanced schedule.

tfcleeds
05-13-2011, 08:11 AM
I'd rather see a freeze on MLS expansion for the time being - it's growing too fast. Top out at 20 teams perhaps, but that should be it for the time being. Ensuring the stability of the teams that currently exist is more important IMHO.

While I agree that promotion/relegation would be a nice thought, it's not happening in MLS, as has been discussed in a gazillion other threads.

zamperina
05-13-2011, 08:14 AM
I use SSS as Soccer Specific Stadium. I was just relaying my doubts that this new stadium would only be for footie. Shared space like BCE sounds more likely.

New Minnesota Vikings Stadium Could Also House MLS, Owner Zygi Wilf Says

By Jeremiah Oshan (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Jeremiah%20Oshan)
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1233422/83027_vikings_stadium_football_large.jpg

http://s7.addthis.com/static/btn/sm-share-en.gif (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pub=sbnation)

Minnesota has a relatively rich soccer tradition.

Follow @sbnation on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/sbnation), and Like SBNation.com on Facebook. (http://www.facebook.com/pages/SB-Nation/39606211535)
May 11, 2011 - The big, headline out of Zygi Wilf's proposal for a new Minnesota Vikings stadium (http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-vikings/2011/4/8/2099614/minnesota-vikings-stadium-legislation-formally-introduced-today) was, undoubtedly, the $1 billion price tag for the retractable-roof facility. Combined with the $240 million worth of estimated infrastructure upgrades that the surround area the Twin Cities suburb -- plus whatever inevitable cost overruns -- we're talking about one of the most expensive sports facilities ever built in the United States. But there was a notable subhead to the story that IMSoccer News pointed out (http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2011/05/11/zygi-wilf-says-major-league-soccer-to-minnesota-if-vikings-get-new-proposed-arden-hills-stadium/): Wilf apparently likes the idea of having a MLS team as one of the stadium's tenants.

"Also, with the event of a full retractable stadium our goal is to bring Major League Soccer back to Minnesota. The location of here (Arden Hills) being close to Blaine and their facilities for soccer and for youth soccer I think could make this stadium an important part of our youth soccer programs in addition to whats up in Blaine. We are very excited for what this stadium could bring to our fans and the development will take place after we see what our needs will be."
What makes this at least somewhat interesting is Minnesota's relatively rich soccer history. The NSC Minnesota Stars currently play in the second division NASL and there's been pro soccer played in the area pretty regularly ever since the original NASL's Minnesota Kicks moved to town in 1976.
While support for those teams has, at times, been relatively strong, all of them have struggled financially. Whether or not MLS team could really succeed in Minnesota is very much an open question.
Wilf, a German immigrant, seems to have a genuine interest in soccer, which is a nice start. He also seems to have relatively deep pockets, another plus as far as MLS is concerned.
The fact that the proposed stadium would have a retractable roof is certainly another positive, as it would likely allow for grass instead of turf. But the idea of a team playing in a huge facility like this, in what is very much a suburb, are not things that bode well. The Seattle Sounders are the only MLS team to have really been able to maximize playing in a NFL stadium, and Qwest benefits greatly from being located in a downtown area.
It also seems unlikely that MLS would consider expanding to Minnesota anytime in the near future, as a second New York team still seems like the front-runner for team No. 20, the Southeast is still without a team and even Southwest cities like Las Vegas seem to be better fits.

Dreadlocks
Not sure if promotion/relegation system will work over here. Potential owners may stay away and current owners may reject the idea simply because of the risk of being relegated into a lower revenue stream.

boban
LOL.

Its not my job to lobby for or against it.

I just can't imagine a league with franchise fees having it.
I never said it was.

scooter
05-13-2011, 08:25 AM
mornin d

Darlofletch
05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Info on Chicgao fire (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/5/13/2169030/how-you-doin-chicago-fire)

how the fans are handling their rebuild, what formation they'll be playing and who to look out for on Saturday. these guys apparently.
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1244790/gyi0064635442_extra_large.jpg

Roogsy
05-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Info on Chicgao fire (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/5/13/2169030/how-you-doin-chicago-fire)

how the fans are handling their rebuild, what formation they'll be playing and who to look out for on Saturday. these guys apparently.

Chicago fans are anxious about missing the playoffs back-to-back years?

LMAO! Pussies...

maninb
05-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Minnesoeta HAS NO CHANCE of getting an MLS team...Garber has already said the league will be capped at 20 teams!!! and the NY Cosmos have pretty much been confirmed as the 20th team....

drexel10
05-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Minnesoeta HAS NO CHANCE of getting an MLS team...Garber has already said the league will be capped at 20 teams!!! and the NY Cosmos have pretty much been confirmed as the 20th team....

Na he has mentioned that he would like to get to 20, but then usually follows up with the size of North America and how they can go to 22-24 further down the road. This league will not be capped if the interest is there, and that is why they still have conferences.

DangerRed
05-13-2011, 09:02 AM
There will never be promotion/relegation.

Absolutely right. The wild swings in revenue that teams would experience if relegated would kill their business models quite quickly. Can you imagine what would happen attendance-wise in a place like Dallas if they got relegated? This was an MLS Cup finalist and you saw how empty their stadium was on Wednesday. Now imagine how empty it would be if they had a second-division tilt against the Rochester Rhinos or whatever the fuck.

tfcleeds
05-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Yeah, try telling the owners of any second division club, "well, number one, you won't be competing for the league title this year. Oh, and that boost at the gate you were hoping to get when the likes of Beckham and Henry come to town? Uh yeah, sorry, you aren't playing them this year". I can see that going down well with North American owners.

Beach_Red
05-13-2011, 09:12 AM
No. More important to get two divisions where then promotion exist. That's how you get weak teams out of the top division, not moving them.
Never liked moving teams (NA solution). MLS did after all made a conscious move some years ago to structure the game here along the lines how it is elsewhere played.

Well NA move teams because the people move so much. Places like Detroit and Buffalo are losing population and becoming smaller and southern cities becoming much larger. Maybe they should just add more teams as markets get bigger.

And then they could have relegation and every year a couple of small market teams will go down and a couple of other small market teams will get promoted for a year or two. It would probably be interesting for the few cities involved in that but it won't happen until LA, NY, Chigaco and a couple of other big markets are in no danger of being relegated - like every other league in the world where the big teams are in no danger.

drexel10
05-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Well NA move teams because the people move so much. Places like Detroit and Buffalo are losing population and becoming smaller and southern cities becoming much larger. Maybe they should just add more teams as markets get bigger.

And then they could have relegation and every year a couple of small market teams will go down and a couple of other small market teams will get promoted for a year or two. It would probably be interesting for the few cities involved in that but it won't happen until LA, NY, Chigaco and a couple of other big markets are in no danger of being relegated - like every other league in the world where the big teams are in no danger.

Hey maybe then can take over the second division and offer the Champion and expansion spot starting in 2012-2016.

Darlofletch
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM

LMAO! Pussies...

yeah, I had a chuckle about that one as well.

menefreghista
05-13-2011, 09:22 AM

I find it ironic that TFC fans are in favour of promotion/relegation.

Darlofletch
05-13-2011, 09:27 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1233422/83027_vikings_stadium_football_large.jpg

At first I thought that was the model of the new stadium, and was just about to comment, 'what a shitty stadium, and why is the roof curving inwards?'

Now I get it though.:o

keem-o-sabi
05-13-2011, 10:20 AM
and the SSG :) I remember being on tour with my last band and we had a not good looking chick in it. Being the drummer I had to stare at her ass the entire set. I would have been very happy with that girl in my band :) :)

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2011, 10:33 AM

I support it thick or thin.

But I'm not sure you could take the numbers here as the opinion of "TFC fans". There are TFC fans that don't know the meaning of the words.

BS1327
05-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I'd like to see a promotion/relegation!

I think we could win MLS Cup 2!!

GlenM
05-13-2011, 11:29 AM
SSG --- Nice!

GlenM

jabbronies
05-13-2011, 11:30 AM

I'm all for it.

If we had promotion/relegation from the start I don't think MLSE would've fucked around as much as they have. We'd be in what....D5 if that were the case.

Loosing comes with a price tag in this scenario - right now, there are no consequences for sucking shit.

Beach_Red
05-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm all for it.

If we had promotion/relegation from the start I don't think MLSE would've fucked around as much as they have. We'd be in what....D5 if that were the case.

Loosing comes with a price tag in this scenario - right now, there are no consequences for sucking shit.

Your assupmtion here is that they could have done better if they had wanted to. It's entirely possible this is actually the best they can do. Four years of playoff games and CCL games is a big price tag.

Relegation would be the same number of games so exactly the same profits. Unless you're saying that the fans wouldn't pay to see games if the team was in the second division - which is entirely possible. Which would also mean they'd never get back into the first division because first they sell the tickets then they spend the money, they don't deficit spend (at least they haven't so far).

Redcoe15
05-13-2011, 12:00 PM
You guys should take a look over at BigSoccer, where the proponents of promotion/relegation in MLS think it would be the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread, and not factoring in the business side against it. But those people act mentaly imbalanced and not to be taken seriously.

It will never, ever, ever happen. Period.

And did anyone read that the SSG is into rugby? She must be a successful tackler. She just needs to stick out her enormous bazookas to flatten her opponents. :ihih:

Mark in Ottawa
05-13-2011, 12:31 PM
No irony ... just a recognition that if ML$E thought there cash cow might turn into a turkey they would move like hell to ensure it didn't happen.

Sort of like fixing the Maple Leafs if they faced a relegation to the AHL.

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2011, 01:04 PM
You guys should take a look over at BigSoccer, where the proponents of promotion/relegation in MLS think it would be the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread, and not factoring in the business side against it. But those people act mentaly imbalanced and not to be taken seriously.

It will never, ever, ever happen. Period.

And did anyone read that the SSG is into rugby? She must be a successful tackler. She just needs to stick out her enormous bazookas to flatten her opponents. :ihih:

BS has a new thread on pro/rel every week. Their general section is for newbs to be made fun of. Nothing else.

It's not that all of us don't know the infinitesimal likelyhood of pro/rel happening. We just like it.

boban
05-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Why?

Gazza_55
05-13-2011, 08:15 PM

I think the league is working extremely hard on solving the attendance problems at some existing franchises. In just the last few years they have (among other things) helped get approval for Red Bull Arena, Dynamo stadium, and Rio Tinto; spent many hours getting the original FO's in Dallas and Chivas out, and found new owners in KC which has led to the second best stadium. It may not look like it but season tickets are up in Dallas and at many other problem franchises. NE is a Kraft situation and MLS has spent way too much energy in DC. The league is quite big now but the league office is not. Some of the 'problem franchises' of the past decade (NY, KC, RSL, FCD) are turning it around and yes there are still issues at Columbus, Colorado, NE but they are going to be solved over time.

Another poster said the league is watered down because of expansion .... I totally disagree. Vancouver this year and Philly last year were much better talent-wise than we were in 2007 or RSL when they entered the league. And every weekend I watch 6 or 7 games on Matchday Live and it's light years ahead of the Crew-DC United matches from 1996 or 2006.

rocker
05-13-2011, 11:48 PM
yeah, I want my team relegated... sure!!!! ;)

I never understood why people would choose relegation if it wasn't already in place.