PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thread: FC Dallas vs. TFC

denime
05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Carry on

SirBobSaget
05-11-2011, 10:17 PM
booo MLS sucks.

Next year I'm taking my 2000$ and investing in an all inclusive to Carribean and HD Setanta to watch EPL instead

Carts
05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I had the last post in the game thread.

Ok that's about all that can be said about tonight's match!

tfcleeds
05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Referees in pub leagues in Britain are more competent than those in MLS, ffs.

Oor Wullie
05-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Winter not happy with refs. calling them rediculous. Says refs are desiding the games.

ag futbol
05-11-2011, 10:20 PM
I demand TFC / MLS refund that 35 minutes of my life I wasted watching that shit.

Carts
Referees in pub leagues in Britain are more competent than those in MLS, ffs.

I think a high school teacher from St. Mary's in Pickering would be more competent!

Carts
I demand TFC / MLS refund that 35 minutes of my life I wasted watching that shit.

I watched for 2-hours (pre-game, match, some post) so get behind me in line! :D

phonzo
either way...bad officiating or not have to play through it. We didn't..there was no offensive umph and that last 4 minutes made me cry.

__wowza
05-11-2011, 10:21 PM
i'll just end up posting more pictures from major league..
im going to go pack a lipper, pet my girlfriends houemates cat backwards and watch more sailor moon in japanese.

wait, what the fuck did i just say?

Roogsy
Tonight is not a night I rag on my team. Tonight I rag on the refs. They took a point from a team fighting for points. Shame on MLS.

Nuvinho
Winter is going to go crazy coaching in MLS

ExiledRed
These refs are an embarrasment and are probably a huge deterrent to foreign coaches coming into this league from higher levels.

Bout time MLS started funding these refs, and paying for some quality. They should also be compiling a dossier of crappy calls (you could fill a dvd every week), and demanding the USSF/CSA hold their refs more accountable.

phonzo
05-11-2011, 10:22 PM
i'll just end up posting more pictures from major league..
im going to go pack a lipper, pet my girlfriends houemates cat backwards and watch more sailor moon in japanese.

wait, what the fuck did i just say?

dunno but I may have felt my pants tighten

Yohan
Winter not happy with refs. calling them rediculous. Says refs are desiding the games.
lol. winter is turning into another carver

sully

Beckham said the same thing, refs are deciding games - let's see how MLS treats winter versus beckham

phonzo

this is a fact..de Klerk did today

tfcleeds
Easily the worst game for entertainment value of the season so far, maybe one of the worst ever.

Stryker
Cann had his hand on the Dallas players outstretched bicep and may have prevented him from jumping for the ball. I can kinda see why the the call was made.
More upset about our piss poor performance than bad reffing personaly.

Carts
05-11-2011, 10:23 PM

John Carver 2.0...?

TFCRegina
05-11-2011, 10:23 PM
The Refs were awful. They've been awful in the past years. But they're more awful this year than others. Something needs to be done.

Designated Referees. Get them in Europe, get them here and stop this mickey mouse USSF/CSA bullshit.

Skinner
05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes, bad reffing...no doubt. But worse is this sense of apathy that's come over me. Why don't I care that we lost? Why don't I care that we got the shaft on the call? Why don't I care that we couldn't mount much of an attack down a goal the entire second half?

If there are others like me, MLSE should probably be worried.

tfcleeds
05-11-2011, 10:25 PM
The Refs were awful. They've been awful in the past years. But they're more awful this year than others. Something needs to be done.

Designated Referees. Get them in Europe, get them here and stop this mickey mouse USSF/CSA bullshit.

Great idea. They could start by getting Collina to come out of retirement.

Nuvinho
05-11-2011, 10:27 PM
It seems this year they have a new batch of refs because MLS teams complained last year - however, these new refs are worse than the ones from last year....even worst than Toledo sometimes?

Roogsy
Great idea. They could start by getting Collina to come out of retirement.

Yes guy!

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/14984.gif

TFCRegina
It seems this year they have a new batch of refs because MLS teams complained last year - however, these new refs are worse than the ones from last year....even worst than Toledo sometimes?

Toledo probably wouldn't have called that phantom foul. But Eckersley would have gotten a red card instead of a yellow.

SirBobSaget
05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes, bad reffing...no doubt. But worse is this sense of apathy that's come over me. Why don't I care that we lost? Why don't I care that we got the shaft on the call? Why don't I care that we couldn't mount much of an attack down a goal the entire second half?

Oh there's others, I'm not spending any more money on this team after my commitment to this season is over. Those on the fence after last year's debacle are not being reassured very much so far.

BMO will be Pizza Hut Park 2.0 come next summer. Hey maybe then TFC will get the calls!!

DichioTFC
05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
On the bright side, I went to the Red Wings game last night.

http://i52.tinypic.com/rtq5w5.jpg

Apparently they're playing again tomorrow night.

(That's all I really have to say about tonight's game :D)

ag futbol
05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm not going to let TFC off the hook completely. Nobody said once you have one call go against you that you can roll over and play like absolute donkey balls.

The performance of the attacking players on this squad leaves much to be desired. Time for guys like Stevanovic and Martina to step up. As for Santos, it appears his entire value came from having someone like Dero play with him.

Couchy81
05-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Worst ref we've seen this season, and that's saying something cuz MAN there have been some brutal calls against. The whole build up to the goal was a sham. The free kick that led to the ghost call in the box was a Dallas player slipping on the turf.

That is the definition of a ref deciding the outcome of a game.

phonzo
05-11-2011, 10:32 PM
10 bucks says Winter gets fined for that interview..if he does i'm pitching in.

phonzo
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
actually wait if de klerk gets sent off to is there a fine associated with it..cause I'm pitching in for that.

ArmenJBX
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I think a high school teacher from St. Mary's in Pickering would be more competent!

!?!?!?
HEY :D
I go there, and Mr. McDavid is MORE than capable! :D

Icicle
05-11-2011, 10:40 PM
thats not the first time that ref does that to tfc.....im just frustrated that they can do whatever and dont get any punishment.....they are so invinsible....ahh

gomesv
05-11-2011, 10:41 PM

+1
couldn't agree with you more :facepalm:

Oor Wullie
05-11-2011, 10:45 PM

^
What he said

king dave
05-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I watched the whole match not knowing who would want to grab the bull by the balls and needless to say?
Nobody did.
This game was badly played, badly called and even worse, badly supported.
The railing banners for Dallas were my only +.
I think the game ball spent more time outside the touchline than in.
90+ minutes of my life I will never get back:rolleyes:
KD.

king dave
05-11-2011, 11:00 PM

Since when has MLSE even showed one single pubic hair of interest in the product of any of the professional sports franchises it runs?
MLSE worry?
Not as long as real estate, broadcast fees and food/booze prices keep going up.
KD.

ManUtd4ever
05-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Neither club played well tonight, but the foul on Cann in the box was probably the worst penalty I've ever seen called against TFC, and there have been several in the last few years.

I'm not defending TFC's lacklustre performance by any stretch, but in all fairness, the match should have ended a draw.

Red Rat
05-11-2011, 11:02 PM
THis is foe all the refs in MLS
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/ratonrojo/eyedoctorjoke.jpg

eat it!

gomesv
05-11-2011, 11:04 PM
10 bucks says Winter gets fined for that interview..if he does i'm pitching in.

20 bucks says Winter will have had enough of this bullshit league and be chased away by years end

king dave
05-11-2011, 11:11 PM
20 bucks says Winter will have had enough of this bullshit league and be chased away by years end
+1.
KD.

king dave
05-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Hey looky here kids!
Uncle Larry heads up the Kilmergroup.
http://kilmergroup.com/portfolio.shtml

Have a look at what they own.
I think a good chunk of my Rogers cable bill keeps Uncle Larry in condoms!
KD.

deltox
05-11-2011, 11:22 PM
on the MLS page the video for the PK call is listed as ADRIAN CANN PULLS DOWN GEORGE JOHN

TFCRegina
05-11-2011, 11:23 PM
on the MLS page the video for the PK call is listed as ADRIAN CANN PULLS DOWN GEORGE JOHN

lolz

Borga
05-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Just watching Winter's comments to Petrillo.. He is totally going to lose his shit a la Carver. Can't imagine him wanting to stay as a coach in MLS.

jazzy
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
it's all about Shea, he fell all night caused 2 yellows , on Eckersley was pushed onlyby the hand ,and fell back holding the BACK of his head,...now thats the new football,....his foot was missed and he dove, ..he losses the ball spins around and bam....foul,..just love it when big men flop like seals all night long .......and Chavez in the Honduran tradition dove all night, and to top it of was yellin to the ref to give us a yellow...........unfortunately there are not enough MEN playing the game......Dignity, is simply nonexistent.........it was like CONCAFF out there.....where we playing in Mexico?

Roogsy
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I feel for Winter, I really do. He has come into a Mickey Mouse league with players whose talent levels are a fraction of what he was dealing with in Europe. I don't think he knew what he was getting himself into.

That being said...the score was 1-0 at the half. While I do agree the ref gave the 3 points to Dallas, someone needs to ask the question why TFC didn't at least gut out a draw? Because we didn't play well enough and in the end, our team bears some responsibility over lost opportunities.

deltox
05-11-2011, 11:42 PM
also, was it announced that the attendance was 8k?

Inklink
05-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Piss poor reffing.

But that doesn't discount the fact that TFC can't put the ball in the net on most nights. Can't maintain possession in the attacking third. I don't know who to blame, but the product on the field is utter shit most of the time.

king dave
05-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Not a Winter fan by any means.
Not at this level of shitball at least.
But I can't see him lasting the season at this rate.
But how does he get the fuck out?
Oh yeah!!!
Pull a Carver.
Now who will be the next one to
PULL A CARVER?
KD.

Workie
05-12-2011, 12:12 AM

Yea I'm hearing you on that.

MartinUtd
05-12-2011, 12:13 AM
When we beat Houston last week I was thinking FINALLY Winter put out the best 4 defenders at the same time and then all of a sudden Brohman is back!? Tchani is just a slightly better Sanyang (he still can't pass) and Stevenovic needs to play out wide where he can get the ball down the field.

I'm really having a hard time justfying Winter's selections. Just 9 weeks until the transfer window, maybe that will make a difference.

TFCRegina
05-12-2011, 12:16 AM
When we beat Houston last week I was thinking FINALLY Winter put out the best 4 defenders at the same time and then all of a sudden Brohman is back!? Tchani is just a slightly better Sanyang (he still can't pass) and Stevenovic needs to play out wide where he can get the ball down the field.

I'm really having a hard time justfying Winter's selections. Just 9 weeks until the transfer window, maybe that will make a difference.

Maybe pigs will fly, the USSF will get decent referees and TFC will win the MLS Cup in my lifetime.

Shakes McQueen
05-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Tonight is not a night I rag on my team. Tonight I rag on the refs. They took a point from a team fighting for points. Shame on MLS.

Yep. It's clear our offense still needs way more bite to it, but I'm tired of the substandard officiating in this league.

Our team has to work hard enough to win games, without the officials actively working to put us between a rock and a hard place.

Atrocious.

- Scott

Darlofletch
05-12-2011, 01:37 AM
shit penalty call, absolutely. glad to see people here ready to blame the team as well though. we're losing, did the formation change, did winter put more forwards on? nope he replaced all 3 of his forwards.

no spark or urgency at all in that 2nd half.

Yagbod
05-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Worst game ever. For TFC... NY loss possibly the exception.

Keystone FC
05-12-2011, 02:25 AM
I think Garber should put a freeze on any new teams wanting to come into the league or expanding the league until the ref problem is fixed (not meaning to pay the refs off but it may come to that).
By adding new clubs (NY2, Miami?, Orlando?, Detroit?) means the league will need more refs and I don't think the USSF has that deep of a bench when it comes to officials...just look at what we have now.
This actually may be a BAD idea but maybe we could get the refs from Europe after their leagues end. I mean the game is the same so why not pay to have some refs come over here....heck I'd settle for Blue Box Premier League refs after what I saw.

TFCRegina
05-12-2011, 03:27 AM
I think Garber should put a freeze on any new teams wanting to come into the league or expanding the league until the ref problem is fixed (not meaning to pay the refs off but it may come to that).
By adding new clubs (NY2, Miami?, Orlando?, Detroit?) means the league will need more refs and I don't think the USSF has that deep of a bench when it comes to officials...just look at what we have now.
This actually may be a BAD idea but maybe we could get the refs from Europe after their leagues end. I mean the game is the same so why not pay to have some refs come over here....heck I'd settle for Blue Box Premier League refs after what I saw.

The Blue Square Kicks ass man. Except we'd have to go all out! Conference South and North refs. Nothing higher than 6th division for MLS! Because 6th Div refs are still better than MLS ones.

Heathen
05-12-2011, 06:01 AM
also, was it announced that the attendance was 8k?

It must've been the ref counting

Section 117
05-12-2011, 06:41 AM
I am pissed at the refs, but IMO the bigger problem is we lack a true attacking midfider. Tonight I think with someone pulling the strings in the middle three points could have been taken. But as per usual the ref made the biggest play of the game

Good on Winter to call out the refs they need to be told their shit one week the linesman calls back a PK and then does nothing when there is no foul it is just ridiculous.

If I remeber correctly doesn't Don Garber have twitter or something I want to ask him a question if someone could post his twitter address or email I would like to ask him what they are doing to fix this shit show. Also the league should mandate unless it clear cut hand ball and or someone blatantly pulling another player down in the box not to call a bloody penalty

Alonso
05-12-2011, 06:58 AM
I am pissed at the refs, but IMO the bigger problem is we lack a true attacking midfider. Tonight I think with someone pulling the strings in the middle three points could have been taken. But as per usual the ref made the biggest play of the game

Good on Winter to call out the refs they need to be told their shit one week the linesman calls back a PK and then does nothing when there is no foul it is just ridiculous.

If I remeber correctly doesn't Don Garber have twitter or something I want to ask him a question if someone could post his twitter address or email I would like to ask him what they are doing to fix this shit show. Also the league should mandate unless it clear cut hand ball and or someone blatantly pulling another player down in the box not to call a bloody penalty

I agree, we are sorely missing someone who can take set pieces as well. Hopefully this gets taken care of, two birds with one stone style asap.

I hate blaming the ref for match results but its getting harder and harder for me not to.

I would've like to have seen more fight from the team to level it up, we played better in the first half, but maybe it was because we weren't down a goal to Dallas and they were a bit more opened up.

denime
05-12-2011, 07:17 AM
I feel for Winter, I really do. He has come into a Mickey Mouse league with players whose talent levels are a fraction of what he was dealing with in Europe. I don't think he knew what he was getting himself into.

That being said...the score was 1-0 at the half. While I do agree the ref gave the 3 points to Dallas, someone needs to ask the question why TFC didn't at least gut out a draw? Because we didn't play well enough and in the end, our team bears some responsibility over lost opportunities.

Agree,our team does bear some responsibilities,we were pushing Dallas in the second half up to their penalty box and that was it,we did not have a finishing touch again.

At the end of the day ref decided the game with his bad calls,penalty for Dallas,but no penalty on Martina were game deciding moments in my opinion.

CretanBull
05-12-2011, 07:22 AM
^ Martina dove, probably thinking that he was giving the ref a chance to make up for the earlier blown call.

(Yes, there was contact on Martina, but he went down after the fact - not because of it).

The game should have been a 0-0 draw, and had it been a nil-nil draw we should have been upset that our team didn't come out better vs. a flat and vulnerable looking Dallas team.

Chevy
05-12-2011, 07:27 AM
^ Yeah, can't blame Martina for giving it the old college try.

Detroit_TFC
05-12-2011, 07:42 AM
MLS refs fuck up constantly. Guess what, you have to work around that.

This was not the worst game ever, people need to get a drink of water and have a lay down if they think that. We moved the ball around with a fair amount of accuracy and held tons of possession. But the possession didn't lead to a decent attack. That was a combination of us not having a decent striker and adequate defense from Dallas.

Plata getting subbed out was about Saturday but the other substitutions were puzzling.

I've seen enough of Borman to not want to see Borman anymore, at least on the first squad. He needs to spend a year in the reserves.

Santos is still in a funk. Not sure if he's going to be the kind of player he looked to be previously.

Suds
05-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Yep, the ref was shit but that does not excuse the poor effort put forward by the majority of players last night. And by effort I'm referring to very poor basic skills being displayed.

The passing by TFC was abysmal. While it is hard to pick out aplayer that did well last night, Caan, Tchani, Soolsma, JDG, were all bad in their passing. They constantly gave the ball away and made poor decisions resulting in just about every chance to move into an attacking role breaking down. Peterson, JDG, Tchani never took control of the midfield at any point.

This has nothing to do with the system, the formation, or with the coaching. When the collective just can't make a few passes you can't put forth an argument that says we deserved a win - (a tie at best).

zeelaw
05-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Ref ruined it, I had just txt'd a friend saying that that may of been TFC's best first half on the road then that BS fk and BS pk call...

Fort York Redcoat
05-12-2011, 08:21 AM
The match was a borefest. The penalty was sold to the referee and I understand the managers' frustration but why on earth did the referee even talk to Winter/De Clerk? Obviously they're not going to be calm about it. The ejection was bush league as was Martina's dive. He was in a very good position but with no help. Oh, and the ref and Shea did a great job of keeping Eckers busy. Shea flopping and the ref lapping it up.

Maltese Falcon
05-12-2011, 08:25 AM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=3108

Winter's interview for those who have yet to see it

TFC Cityboy
05-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Decent first half from TFC and we should have been ahead. It all goes to shit when Cann sneezed within 2 feet of a Dallas player and that knocked the stuffing out of the team.
I understand taking the roadrunner off - he is only 19 and a good coach uses the youngsters sparingly- especially in a struggling side- but we never looked like scoring in the 2nd half and the pleyers' body language told the story.

Re the ref...well, my friend who does the Offside cartoon in the matchday programme and I have a theory that if the ref is hispanic with hair gell/slicked back hair, you're fucked.

jabbronies
05-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Last night felt like watching a bunch of 5 year olds running around the field.

Seemed like the only players who could take a pass were JDG, Plata and Eckersley. Everyone else had no clue how to stop a pass without it bouncing 5 feet away from them.

Also - why did we keep passing the ball to the Dallas players (Especially Boreman)? Again, aside from those 3 players, no one seemed to know how to pass a ball.

And what was with Cann and his fucking long ball passes out the side of the pitch? or the Defence inability to move the ball past 3 steps? They seemed quiet happy getting the ball and then just standing there with it trying to figure out who to launch it to?

Anyways the ref was just the icing on the cake for me. The team didn't deserve any points at all - not when they can't even execute the basics of the game.

TFCDP
05-12-2011, 08:45 AM

Seemed like the only players who could take a pass were JDG, Plata and Eckersley. Everyone else had no clue how to stop a pass without it bouncing 5 feet away from them.

Also - why did we keep passing the ball to the Dallas players (Especially Boreman)? Again, aside from those 3 players, no one seemed to know how to pass a ball.

And what was with Cann and his fucking long ball passes out the side of the pitch? or the Defence inability to move the ball past 3 steps? They seemed quiet happy getting the ball and then just standing there with it trying to figure out who to launch it to?

Anyways the ref was just the icing on the cake for me. The team didn't deserve any points at all - not when they can't even execute the basics of the game.

Is was so frustrating watching him with the ball... Floating those long lazy passes.. He's decent defensively but when he gets the ball, god help us.. I don't remember him being that bad last year at distributing the ball.

Jack
05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
It's so hilarious that the commentators on the MLS highlight of that penalty say:

"a good call"

and that John was "ripped down" buy Cann...

I think that the people running the league at the highest level just plain DON'T GET THE GAME.

They don't get it. They think their refs are fine. They think they are doing everything right with the 8k attending per night unless Beckham is in town. Sure, there are a few teams filling the stadium, but TFC is seeing up to 8-9k below capacity as the soul is sucked out of the support by the combination of a shitty team and the horrid management of the league by Don Garber and his cronies.

MLS will always be bush league with Garber at the helm. He doesn't understand the game and he doesn't understand the culture. The carrot on the stick needs to go up his smug ass.

I am on the verge of throwing in the towel on MLS. When they won't even recognize a glaring issue like the refereeing in their games, there's nowhere to go but down.

Section 117
05-12-2011, 09:15 AM
It was by far the best first half road display. Could they have played better sure, but in this league you need to get points at home and any points on the road are a bonus. So a draw would have been more than acceptable result last night, with the exception of the referee

Pachuco
05-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I decided to watch the game on Match Day live as opposed to GolTV as I'm done with watching horrendous productions with grainy video for TFC games.

Anyway, the point is the Dallas commentators were commending the ref for his good calls.

Just goes to show you that people have a really hard time of not being biased when a call goes against them. That goes for alot of people in this thread as well. Anyway, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. He made some questionable calls that could have gone either way. Unfortunately they went against us but that doesn't make him Toledo.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
I dont think it was that bad a game played by us, yes we were lacking a certain 1-2 punch up front (a result of no attacking mid) but overall it was a good effort, unfortunately the subs didnt make much of a dent as they were supposed to. The reffing was truly awful and i think we prob woulda walked away with a point, one we would have earned by scraping by rather. Dallas looked good too but was also lacking a certain je ne sais quoi in the final 3rd, outside of that penalty there really werent that many close calls in their favor.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Reffing was so so up until that penalty then it all went ot shit for whatever reason, it was more or less mediocre calls on both sides but really that penalty...tsk tsk tsk

Jack
05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I decided to watch the game on Match Day live as opposed to GolTV as I'm done with watching horrendous productions with grainy video for TFC games.

Anyway, the point is the Dallas commentators were commending the ref for his good calls.

Just goes to show you that people have a really hard time of not being biased when a call goes against them. That goes for alot of people in this thread as well. Anyway, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. He made some questionable calls that could have gone either way. Unfortunately they went against us but that doesn't make him Toledo.
I dunno, man, that was a pretty brutal phantom penalty.

TFCRegina
05-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Been like that for years, ain't gonna change now.

Walnut
05-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I dont think it was that bad a game played by us

Hmmmmm -- I agree. All loses are not bad games, especially when we show such complete lack of attacking intent and poor ball control.

DangerRed
05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Bad officiating or not, we should've played better. Plain and simple. It was a dead stadium with no intimidation factor, a middling opponent and decent weather.

Even with the penalty, this was a drawable if not winnable game for us.

Almost a third of the way through the season, we have 2 wins. Yikes.

Edit: and the two teams below us in our conference have 2 and 4 games in hand on us.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Hmmmmm -- I agree. All loses are not bad games, especially when we show such complete lack of attacking intent and poor ball control.

i guess we can agree to disagree, ive seen us play worse games lately. dallas screwed up their passes almost as much as we did and dont forget they were in the finals last year. Overall dallas wasnt that great either. stats dont really show that much of the flow of the game but they are an indication and they were pretty close.

Couchy81
05-12-2011, 10:32 AM
I think all of our woes can be summed up in two distinct categories:

1. Lack of quality players - evidenced by the poor ball control in the attacking end every game this season. We have some skill but, when you string together 3 passes from skill and the 4th guy to touch the ball gives it to the other team then you are getting nowhere regardless. Let's hope Mariner is busy on the phones this summer.

2. Officiating that costs us games. We seem to be plagued by it. Forget how the team plays for a minute - we should/could have come out of Dallas with ONE point. For all we know it changed the flow of the game completely and cost us 3. I did see some bright spots in the first half and thought we could have continued well in the 2nd half. The call messed with our coaches head/gameplan, and the players heads/gameplan.

TFC USA
05-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I can kinda see an argument for Cann getting called for a penalty but it looked really soft and embellished if you ask me.

Borman is awful and needs reserve action. Attakora's contract is frozen and we're left with Cann('t Pass), Gargan, Harden, and Borman as some of our prized defenders.

Couchy81
05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I can kinda see an argument for Cann getting called for a penalty but it looked really soft and embellished if you ask me.

Even if, and thats IF Cann deserved the call, the free kick that led to that scenario shouldn't have taken place whatsoever.

united88
05-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Carver ran for cover a couple of years ago. Now Winter has discovered how easy it is to fix a game. The challenge is not that this game was fixed but what about the future games?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I. Forget how the team plays for a minute - we should/could have come out of Dallas with ONE point.

this is what im saying.
not the best playing in the world by anymeans (not that bad either we've definitely played worse away, especially this season) that being said i think outside of the penalty we would have walked away with a point (always room for improvement)

bman27
05-12-2011, 11:07 AM
when the market opens up, we have two positions that desperately need to be filled, An attacking mid who can actually distribute the ball in the final third with some set piece experience and another dm. Tchani has the size and strength to be effective but he needs to take off the concrete boots, what's the point in winning the ball just to give it away in the next play? he needs more time to still develop past this season, if he focuses on developing he could be great in a few years, i say let him grow in the reserves, develop a better pass and grow his positional sense.

What we need is an engine to run that midfield, someone who's going to do the dirty work to get as much of the ball as possible. one of the things that this team seems to be direly missing is a player with heart and a winning attitude. when you break it down, This is a competitive roster

---Frei---
Eckersley-------Cann--------------Williams---------Yourassowsky
----------De Guz----------------------------New DM ---------------
------------------------- New AM------------------------------------
-Martina/ Plata------Gordon/ Santos---------------Stevanovic---

Ossington Mental Youth
05-12-2011, 11:10 AM
i beg to differ although at times Tchani has lead feet overall hes great and links up well with DeGuzman, we'd be foolish to give up on him this young and this early. I do agree about the AM tho

backbeat
05-12-2011, 11:12 AM
when the market opens up, we have two positions that desperately need to be filled, An attacking mid who can actually distribute the ball in the final third with some set piece experience and another dm. Tchani has the size and strength to be effective but he needs to take off the concrete boots, what's the point in winning the ball just to give it away in the next play? he needs more time to still develop past this season, if he focuses on developing he could be great in a few years, i say let him grow in the reserves, develop a better pass and grow his positional sense.

What we need is an engine to run that midfield, someone who's going to do the dirty work to get as much of the ball as possible. one of the things that this team seems to be direly missing is a player with heart and a winning attitude. when you break it down, This is a competitive roster

---Frei---

I completely agree with a slight edit:

---Frei---
-Martina/ Soolsman------Gordon/ Santos--------Stevanovic/Plata---

backbeat
05-12-2011, 11:13 AM
i beg to differ although at times Tchani has lead feet overall hes great and links up well with DeGuzman, we'd be foolish to give up on him this young and this early. I do agree about the AM tho

i don't think he's saying give up on him, rather give him more time to develop - Tchani has huge potential

Ossington Mental Youth
05-12-2011, 11:16 AM
prob is that players dont develop well in the reserve league with 10 or less games a year, its not like it is else where, hed honestly do better to be first team. Itd be one thing if he hadnt already played a season with NJ or he was just coming up from the NCAA or academy. I think once Bouchiba is back he will be playing along side JDG but as because hes out until at least sept or whatever has been speculated. We might even see Tchani from time to time as an AM

dow117
05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Cann had his hand on the Dallas players outstretched bicep and may have prevented him from jumping for the ball. I can kinda see why the the call was made.
More upset about our piss poor performance than bad reffing personaly.

R U freakin kidding !! That was not a penalty or near it !! As long as we cut these jokers some slack; we will grow to accept this poor officiating and say stuff that we should have been better. Of course , we needed to be better, but we were better than Dallas and a point would not have been out of line at all. Dallas and their crowd were awful. We were slightly less awful and ended up with zero , strictly due to a poor, poor call; an awful call.

Red Skies At Night
05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Trying to play the ball along the ground from back to front is an admiral game plan, and something we'd all enjoy seeing. But as has been stated before, too many of our players can't find a decent outlet pass (and it's not helped by the lack of off-the-ball movement from TFC) when pressured by the opposition. Thus they end up turning over possession. This is what happened last night for the most part.
First Dallas player pressures the ball carrier, second Dallas player picks up the loose pass.

I think this is going to be a trend all season for TFC.

Carts
05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
As for the penalty... (originally posted just before game thread was closed)

Cann was battling with his man - the guy flopped...

Worst part, neither were anywhere near the ball...

For the official to pick that out and call "penalty" is beyond a joke...

The only thing I can think of is a veteran player close to him screamed "penalty, f*ckin penalty, blatant, call it for f*cksakes!" and the rookie ref (13th MLS match) bought it, called it, aka f*cked up...

Because he a rookie ref, he was probably just focused on the players, not the "entire play"... Saw the flop, heard the screams for a call, made the call... Rookie move - wrong call (IMO)...

Carts...

KGH
05-12-2011, 12:36 PM
This is not our problem now:

---Frei---
----------De Guz----------------------------Tchani ---------------

For MLS this is a solid back 7

This is our problem:

------------------------- Peterson -----------------------------

I'd like to see a new AM and new striker.

Suds
05-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Yeah, Tchani had a shit game last night, (like most TFC players did), but I'm one person who is pretty high on his potential. I've been impressed with the kid so far this season. He's been a big presence in the midfield most of the time he has played. Lot's of upside in this guy.

Borman on the other hand - I'm trying to stay positive but he's not making it easy. He's inconsistent and he is making some very poor reads in the flow of the game.

__wowza
05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
This is our problem:

personally, i'd have to disagree. gordon is a wonderful target man, he can grind in dirty goals with his head or from close range. striker however, he is not. i dont believe santos is, but santos has shown his finishing ability, and can certainly put them in from distance.

what i think we'd need to play, as insane as this may be, is a 4-3-4.

once we have a stable backline (ie, a line thats played together longer than 3 games) we could look at it this way:

------------------------- Santos -----------------------------
-Martina/Plata--------------Gordon-------Stevanovic---

ManUtd4ever
05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah, Tchani had a shit game last night, (like most TFC players did), but I'm one person who is pretty high on his potential. I've been impressed with the kid so far this season. He's been a big presence in the midfield most of the time he has played. Lot's of upside in this guy.

Borman on the other hand - I'm trying to stay positive but he's not making it easy. He's inconsistent and he is making some very poor reads in the flow of the game.

Agreed. Tchani is a beast in the midfield in terms of his defensive presence. He just needs to work on his distribution skills in terms of not holding onto the ball for too long and being more precise with his through balls.

Borga
05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Is development in the reserve league really about playing games, or is it more about getting appropriate coaching and practice time? I don't think it matters that they only play 10 games. They would be practicing a hell of a lot, and that seems far more important to me.

bgnewf
05-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Dallas Defeats TFC - Video Blog

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/05/dallas-defeats-tfc/

Vu Ja De... or Deja Vu all over again in Texas Wednesday evening as Toronto FC loses a chance at a well deserved away draw with a controversial penalty decision leading to FC Dallas snatching a goal and the three points.

In this episode I talk about the controversial call in detail, I see more positives in the play of Eckersley and Julian de Guzman and I tee up the next opponent for the Reds, the struggling Chicago Fire home this Saturday at BMO Field, and I speculate on whether Aron Winter is going to earn himself a fine.

Darlofletch
05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
personally, i'd have to disagree. gordon is a wonderful target man, he can grind in dirty goals with his head or from close range. striker however, he is not. i dont believe santos is, but santos has shown his finishing ability, and can certainly put them in from distance.

once we have a stable backline (ie, a line thats played together longer than 3 games) we could look at it this way:

that's more or less what we were playing, but with santos a bit further back as am rather than as a full on second dtriker, so wouldn't be a huge change.

and just to be an ass

4-3-4? what, you're pulling the goalie?

KGH
05-12-2011, 02:14 PM

So no Frei? Interesting approach

once we have a stable backline (ie, a line thats played together longer than 3 games)

Couldn't agree more. Last night, despite the crappy result, they looked good.

Santos is not an AM. That's part of the problem. He has zero vision. He's continually shown that he's a better sub than starter. Either bring him off the bench to replace Gordon or trade him and Martina to get a winger with some pace.

Plata - I think Plata might be Ok because of his speed and vision.

Martina - He has OK pace but other than his first goal I haven't been too impressed with him.

Stevanovic - He's got talent but hasn't yet done anything.

Gordon - Man I like him. He's a big target and his attitude is awesome. Maybe with a good AM he'd really start to shine.

Soolsma - Good skill but fuck he's slow.

Darlofletch
05-12-2011, 03:22 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/whirlpoolfishcake/problembob.png

Shouldn't laugh, but that's just funny.

Roogsy
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
OMG...I did laugh.

__wowza
05-12-2011, 03:44 PM
hahaa. i didnt mean it like that! i typed a 4-4-3 originally but then edited the mid and forward numbers only. i think we'd win hands down with a 4-4-3 and frei in net though!!

the main reason for saying is because gordon is a big target man, and maicon has the legs for longshots. santos isn't an AM, i agree with you all on that. but let me tell you, he's a fuckin awesome centre forward. he linked up, and made a goal scorer outt've CHAD BARRETT. put him behind gordon and you have someone who can distribute in the attacking third without having to build the play up himself. he's been good at distributing, just not in the midfield. even still imagine how many times this situation would happen, santos puts one on net, gets blocked, you'd better believe gordon would be there to grind out a goal.

Detroit_TFC
05-12-2011, 03:46 PM
^ WTF is the mascot doing up on the concourse any way? FCD fails again.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-12-2011, 03:52 PM
De Klerk looks like hes holding back a smile

KGH
05-12-2011, 03:56 PM
hahaa. i didnt mean it like that! i typed a 4-4-3 originally but then edited the mid and forward numbers only. i think we'd win hands down with a 4-4-3 and frei in net though!!

the main reason for saying is because gordon is a big target man, and maicon has the legs for longshots. santos isn't an AM, i agree with you all on that. but let me tell you, he's a fuckin awesome centre forward. he linked up, and made a goal scorer outt've CHAD BARRETT. put him behind gordon and you have someone who can distribute in the attacking third without having to build the play up himself. he's been good at distributing, just not in the midfield. even still imagine how many times this situation would happen, santos puts one on net, gets blocked, you'd better believe gordon would be there to grind out a goal.

You mean 4-4-2?

Something like:

------------------De Guz----------------Tchani ---------------
--New AM/Plata----------------------------Stevanovic/Martina-
------------------Gordon ---------------Santos---------------

I don't think we're going to see anything but 4-3-3. Its the system they're use to and the system they want to develop across the board.

ManUtd4ever
05-12-2011, 04:01 PM

Shouldn't laugh, but that's just funny.

LOL!

Darlofletch
05-12-2011, 04:02 PM

"take one more step and I will knock you out and sell your ass to the furryporn industry"

__wowza
05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
You mean 4-4-2?

Something like:

------------------De Guz----------------Tchani ---------------
--New AM/Plata----------------------------Stevanovic/Martina-
------------------Gordon ---------------Santos---------------

I don't think we're going to see anything but 4-3-3. Its the system they're use to and the system they want to develop across the board.

i was thinking:

-----------------GK-------------------
-----CB---------CB---------CB------
-----------DM-------DM-------------
------------------M-------------------
-OM-----------CF-------------OM-
-----------------ST-----------------

deep-lying defensive mids, even a staggered so we can have a deep laying DM can drop back if we get in trouble. too bold?

JonO
05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Soolsma - Good skill but fuck he's slow.
I don't get it, he doesn't seem to be that slow to me (he's certainly not blazing fast). The thing is that he is able to create enough space for himself to get the cross in, which Martina wasn't doing well enough...

__wowza
05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
in other news, we should probably start up another thread about tatics or how we should be using our 4-3-3.

EDIT:
the 4-3-4 would look more like the WM but with a CF
our problem is that i'm not seeing our mids in the 4-3-3 protect the defense enough. yes it's rigid, but if you stagger it and have a player who KNOWS it's their job to track back on defense, then it would work. especially with our lineup.

Derko
05-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Poor officiating to say the least, I was expecting a 0-0 draw, didn't expect any more than that. I don't think a penalty should have been called. Is it me or does Cann look confused at times? just a thought

Derko
05-12-2011, 04:33 PM
This is not our problem now:

---Frei---
----------De Guz----------------------------Tchani ---------------

For MLS this is a solid back 7

This is our problem:

I'd like to see Nana Attakora in place of Cann. just to see, I know Cann is a veteran, but I would like to see what would happen

Shep
05-12-2011, 05:11 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=3108

Winter's interview for those who have yet to see it

the TFC vid links have been down for a bit.. I wonder if it has anything to do with them taking the Winter comments off.

Other club boards are still up, kind of odd.

Torontotonto
05-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Poor officiating again cost us points, however I was not impressed at all with our passing. They need to open it up and use the wings.

Watching this highlight today I found a hillarious part where Winter calls over the ref after the first yellow card, before the penalty kick.
Looks like Bob DeKlerk tells the 4th official 'don't fuckin touch me' and get kicked out of the match, they call event security.

Around 4 minute mark.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?id=14678

69Chevy396
05-12-2011, 08:49 PM
This horrible game reminds me of the many horrible games in the past when we all lamented not having a striker or anybody on the team who could score. Then we got Dero, and hoped he would have made a difference. And, he did. With the improved tactics this season coupled with better overall starting players at each position, this was a game where Dero would have made a difference, and we would be watching a much different club now. How or why he was traded I will never understand, but his 15 goals would look very good this year. We are going to be fighting for last place again.

mightydrm
05-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Not even debatable penalty. Cann is not obliged to retreat for John. If anything, foul on John. As for Martina, people are letting the ref. off the hook. Look closely: his ankles are clipped. When you run full speed, as he was, you go down. Maybe he embellished, but there is absolutely no doubt he was fouled. If you don't agree, go sprint and have someone do an ankle tap. It is impossible to keep your feet.

tfcocd
05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
After watching the second half on PVR tonight I couldn't help but wonder if it was friends and family night at the Hut. The FCD fanbase looks better suited to a stadium the size of Lamport.

Auzzy
05-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Looks like the TFC website is "down for maintenance" -- too much anger about that game... oh now it's back, but the videos are still all dead.

If Winter or BDK are fined for comments & actions at the Dallas game, I would be totally up for collecting donations from supporters to cover the fine. Not that the guys need the money, but for publicity & as a statement towards the league and the federations which allow this BS to persist. If the guys go on to donate the money to some good cause for further publicity afterwards, even better. I would suggest the CNIB & the American Foundation for the Blind.

69Chevy396
05-12-2011, 10:11 PM
It was a bad call. Get over it. We played shit. Few scoring chances. Frei makes three or four tremendous saves, while the Dallas keeper could have taken a nap and read a newspaper for all the work he had. I am shocked that after 5 years this club has managed to fuck up in virtually every thing it tries except for making money. Compare this team with the competition, not with the past or with the hoped for future-in virtually every comparison all the other league teams have it better, nobody except for Frei is in the top 10 at his position in this league. Losing ugly to Dallas is no different than losing ugly to Real Salt Lake or to Vancouvr, this team is a mess

Auzzy
05-12-2011, 10:21 PM
^ DeRo is gone. Get over it.

tfcocd
05-12-2011, 10:29 PM
It wasn't a great game for TFC. But if not for the BS penalty the Reds could have grinded out a point on the road. Which for this team would be a second road point gained!

I am starting to wonder if another area to upgrade is the left back position? Borman and Yourassowky haven't exactly distinguished themselves as number one starters.

Wingback6
05-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Our best defensive game to date this season, which is very promising. Despite Borman at left back (doesn't seem to have the same pace covering that he does attacking) Take away the bad call and we get a point, more than respectable in this league. Build from the back baby!!

Derko
05-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Our best defensive game to date this season, which is very promising. Despite Borman at left back (doesn't seem to have the same pace covering that he does attacking) Take away the bad call and we get a point, more than respectable in this league. Build from the back baby!!

Exactly what I was thinking