PDA

View Full Version : Gol TV HD?

sarsippius
05-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been brought up somewhere else (or about a million times in one place or another).

I keep hearing that GolTV is broadcasting in HD. I can't find it anywhere on my service. I called Rogers to ask what channel it was and they had no listing of GolTV in HD, just the standard channel 428.

While Rogers has no reason to lie to me, I find this odd. Does anyone know which channel it is on Rogers? Does it actually exist?

Thanks!

MG42
05-11-2011, 07:17 AM
"Rogers is lying to you."

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/tfc_Beirne.jpg

brad
05-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Gol TV put the feed out in HD but none ofthe carriers have picked it up. MLSE want you to contact your provider and ask them to pick it up so they can make more $$$

There will only be one reason the the carriers don't have it MLSE will be charging ore than what it is worth to them

Phil
05-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Its filmed in HD but none of the carriers are broadcasting it in HD probably due to demand, hence the recommendation that you contact the carrier about asking for the channel.

wzhxvy
05-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Its not HD on my TV....and I do have HD...so kind of defeats the purpose when they say they are HD and its not on Rogers....

sulfur
05-11-2011, 07:37 AM
What I love is that they crop the image for the SD feed (4x3). And then spend a lot of time composing the shots for 16x9, so you miss good chunks of the action often.

Phil
05-11-2011, 07:39 AM
What I love is that they crop the image for the SD feed (4x3). And then spend a lot of time composing the shots for 16x9, so you miss good chunks of the action often.

Yes, that is bugging the shit out of me.

Remember they had those commercials a while back saying Bell did that and it wasn't HD?

Now Rogers does that and it not only distorts things but it looks like ass. I would rather just have a 4x3 feed that looks good.

brad
05-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Its not HD on my TV....and I do have HD...so kind of defeats the purpose when they say they are HD and its not on Rogers....

It's marketing and/or deflection by MLSE. It's not our fault, it's the carriers.

Phil
05-11-2011, 07:47 AM
It's marketing and/or deflection by MLSE. It's not our fault, it's the carriers.

Really?

Why would they not want the games in HD?

The cameras are HD and recording in HD. They broadcast in HD. The carrier has to alot a channel for HD to broadcast in and that is the missing step right now.

Remember last year when they put it on rogers 500? That was great but a PITA for pvr because it never officially listed the game?

This is about pressure on the carriers to properly alot the channel nothing more.

brad
05-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Really?

Why would they not want the games in HD?

The cameras are HD and recording in HD. They broadcast in HD. The carrier has to alot a channel for HD to broadcast in and that is the missing step right now.

Remember last year when they put it on rogers 500? That was great but a PITA for pvr because it never officially listed the game?

This is about pressure on the carriers to properly alot the channel nothing more.

A factor of cost to the carriers. MLSE will want a certain amount of money for the HD feed, and the carriers will make a choice based on estimated revenues as to whether or not they want it.

MLSE could lower the price and it would become available in a heartbeat.

Remember, they moved TFC games off the public network onto their own private pay to watch channel for a reason.

sulfur
05-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes, that is bugging the shit out of me.

Remember they had those commercials a while back saying Bell did that and it wasn't HD?

Now Rogers does that and it not only distorts things but it looks like ass. I would rather just have a 4x3 feed that looks good.
If Bell/Rogers/Cogeco/etc do that, then why do my CBS/Fox/ABC shows that are not simulcast come through with the lovely black bars on my 4x3 TV?

When they're simulcast, the Canadian feed spits out a garbage 4x3 SD feed, but US regulations declare that even SD feeds must show all of the information from the HD feeds now.

Phil
05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
If Bell/Rogers/Cogeco/etc do that, then why do my CBS/Fox/ABC shows that are not simulcast come through with the lovely black bars on my 4x3 TV?

When they're simulcast, the Canadian feed spits out a garbage 4x3 SD feed, but US regulations declare that even SD feeds must show all of the information from the HD feeds now.

I have found that when its 4x3 on a HD channel it shows in HD.

When its on standard def channels, its distorted, hence me not watching standard channels anymore.

It changed a few months back and I really dont like it. Not sure about simulcast, I never noticed as I limit the amount I watch to mostly just footy now.

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 09:01 AM
"Rogers is lying to you."

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/tfc_Beirne.jpg

Haha. That never gets old.

Chalk this up as another bad decision by the TFC FO. Proving once again that they were more lucky than smart.

There was some mention previously that the carriers want Gol TV to produce a 24-7 HD channel. They don't want to have a random 2-hour TFC game on a preview channel.

Carts
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
If GOL TV is not going to shoot the games 4x3 safe - they must start letterboxing the broadcast...

It is getting extremely difficult to watch when the play/ball is out of the frame...

That's great, you're using HD cameras and have an HD truck - but if everyone at home can't see the 16x9 frame - FRAME IT 4X3 SAFE or LETTERBOX THE BROADCAST...

Carts...

ManUtd4ever
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I am still confused as to who is primarily responsible.

Is it MLSE for not paying the additional amount required to secure a permanent HD channel?

Is it the cable providers for no longer allowing HD simulcasts on an alternate HD channel?

Why does Real Sports Bar and Grill exclusively broadcast GolTV matches in HD?

In any case, I just hope this deplorable situation is rectified for next season, because there is really no excuse for subjecting paying subscribers to a second class broadcast.

Detroit_TFC
05-11-2011, 09:41 AM
^ I believe they are getting a direct feed from GolTV to Real Sports.

prizby
05-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I am still confused as to who is primarily responsible.

Is it MLSE for not paying the additional amount required to secure a permanent HD channel?

Is it the cable providers for no longer allowing HD simulcasts on an alternate HD channel?

Why does Real Sports Bar and Grill exclusively broadcast GolTV matches in HD?

In any case, I just hope this deplorable situation is rectified for next season, because there is really no excuse for subjecting paying subscribers to a second class broadcast.

Real Sports is a joke...they call themselves the home for away games...where were they when the Seattle game was on

Thrillos
05-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I honestly have no clue how the cable system works but if I had to guestimate...

My thought is that since GolTV HD would not bring in a substantial viewership, Rogers wants a decent payment from GolTV (MLSE) to broadcast the channel.

Obviously MLSE is thinking how resourceful we have been against them, they think that they could get the supporters to bother rogers enough to lower the fee, due to high demand.

As for the Real Sports bar broadcast, that's just them spending the money to get the HD in there so that people will go there to watch the game.

I lost total respect for that place when I saw that it somehow won the ESPN best sports bar in north america..... before it even opened. Pisses me off that the only money MLSE spends is for marketing.

Roogsy
05-11-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know how broadcasting works so I won't comment on this other than to say whoever is at fault, it's a disgrace that I can get Public Television in HD but I can't watch Barcelona games in HD.

mastermixer
05-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Last year we had GolTv games provided in HD on 501 or something like that. I don't see why this couldnt happen again this year? And it also rubs salt in the wound to see all the Vancouver games on a national sports channel AND in HD. I guess MLSE is happy with the fans they have now, why would they want to expose TFC to anyone else right? :facepalm:

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Last year we had GolTv games provided in HD on 501 or something like that. I don't see why this couldnt happen again this year? And it also rubs salt in the wound to see all the Vancouver games on a national sports channel AND in HD. I guess MLSE is happy with the fans they have now, why would they want to expose TFC to anyone else right? :facepalm:

Its not just Rogers though. Other cable providers were showing TFC games in HD on a preview channel as well in the past. This year no one is.

People are reluctant to lay blame, but its TFC FO's job to take care of this.

My thought is that since GolTV HD would not bring in a substantial viewership, Rogers wants a decent payment from GolTV (MLSE) to broadcast the channel.

Obviously MLSE is thinking how resourceful we have been against them, they think that they could get the supporters to bother rogers enough to lower the fee, due to high demand.

I think this is where we are right now. But thanks to the general apathy of the fan base there is no real push from fans, the providers aren't having their phone lines flooded with complaints. Most fans just don't even notice.

king dave
05-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Just a reminder from last year.
The Globe and Mail, Friday, Oct. 1/10. Page S7.

"...MLSE to launch it's own sports network (working title: Real Sports) for which the company has secured a licence.
"Imagine a channel that had Leafs, Raptors, TFC and Marlies games on it, " Peddie muses.
"Imagine what you could charge for that."

KD.

sarsippius
05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone! Didn't realize that the "call your Service Provider" was potentially garbled talk for "Help us sell this".

Not sure I know who's ultimately responsible either based on what I am reading, but I think it's fair to say that this is another one of those small things that will eat away in the eyes of supporters. Seems everyone is being greedy in this case. I suppose the only thing I can think of at this point, based on the goings on of the last year, is that it would probably be in the best interest of the club to work something out. Frustrates me to no end that I can see the Whitecaps in HD for the cost of the service, but GolTV costs additionally and lacks quality.

mmmikey
05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
If GOL TV is not going to shoot the games 4x3 safe - they must start letterboxing the broadcast...

It is getting extremely difficult to watch when the play/ball is out of the frame...

That's great, you're using HD cameras and have an HD truck - but if everyone at home can't see the 16x9 frame - FRAME IT 4X3 SAFE or LETTERBOX THE BROADCAST...

Carts...

THIS!

at least then i could use the zoom feature and actually make use of my widescreen tv.. watching standard def 4x3 sux enough, at least let us make full use of our screen real estate

Parkdale
05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
I honestly have no clue how the cable system works....

There's only like two or three people on this who board who actually do understand it, but it doesn't stop people from talking like experts on the subject.

Here's one thing I do know for sure - Carriers hate to broadcast letterboxed images, because on a modern tv, you will get pillarboxing on the sides and letterboxing on the top. In short, the image looks like a picture-in-picture window, and people call them to complain.

yes, people will call to complain because they can't figure our the 'zoom function' on their TV. Also sadly, back in the days of VHS tapes, people bought WAY more of the 4x3 for TV copies than then 16x9 film formatted ones. Why? People are idiots.

http://images2.cafemom.com/images/user/gallery/post_1492134_1228945169_med.jpg?imageId=11448304

Parkdale
05-11-2011, 11:35 AM
THIS!

at least then i could use the zoom feature and actually make use of my widescreen tv.. watching standard def 4x3 sux enough, at least let us make full use of our screen real estate

ah.

then you are smarter than a whole chunk of the population.

Believe me, many networks refuse to air letterboxed material. Why? because of people who aren't as smart as you.

ManUtd4ever
05-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Maybe this will shed some light on the matter...:facepalm:

http://twitter.com/#!/GOLTVCanada

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/947433393/GOLTV_twitterlogo_normal.jpg
GOLTVCanada (http://twitter.com/#!/GOLTVCanada) GOLTVCanada

#TFCinHD (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23TFCinHD) tonight! #FCDallas (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23FCDallas) v #TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23TorontoFC) LIVE @ 9 pm et, produced in HD. Call ur service provider and tell them you want it!

10 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#!/GOLTVCanada/status/68352176510087168)

Roogsy
05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
^ Beginning to look clearer now.

No thanks MLSE, I won't be your lacky on this. Other channels get it done, the fact that you can't speaks as to why.

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Maybe this will shed some light on the matter...:facepalm:

http://twitter.com/#!/GOLTVCanada (http://twitter.com/#%21/GOLTVCanada)

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/947433393/GOLTV_twitterlogo_normal.jpg
GOLTVCanada (http://twitter.com/#%21/GOLTVCanada) GOLTVCanada

#TFCinHD (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TFCinHD) tonight! #FCDallas (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23FCDallas) v #TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TorontoFC) LIVE @ 9 pm et, produced in HD. Call ur service provider and tell them you want it!

10 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/GOLTVCanada/status/68352176510087168)

Haha. Classic.

Please do our job for us.

sulfur
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Believe me, many networks refuse to air letterboxed material. Why? because of people who aren't as smart as you.
That's why I love the US version of the CRTC. They required letterboxing the 16x9 feed for SD 4x3 screens.

Up here in Canada, it's when the "simulcast" crap from CTV, CBC, Global, etc comes into play that we lose the "widescreen", and end up with a 4x3 pan and scan image. :(

mastermixer
05-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Haha. Classic.

Please do our job for us.

Seriously... how about you do your job TFC and get us some footy in HD. :picard:

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 01:57 PM
That's why I love the US version of the CRTC. They required letterboxing the 16x9 feed for SD 4x3 screens.

Up here in Canada, it's when the "simulcast" crap from CTV, CBC, Global, etc comes into play that we lose the "widescreen", and end up with a 4x3 pan and scan image. :(

I wonder what will happen in Canada in August when SD broadcasts end.

Parkdale
05-11-2011, 02:01 PM

that's over the air analog SD ending. Totally different situation.

That will only effect people who get signals from an antenna (like me, but I have an ATSC (DTV) antenna already)

Carts
05-11-2011, 02:04 PM

COMPLETELY UNRELATED...

Thats just the over-the-air signal (TV via an antenna for a very simple explanation) is going from an analog to a digital signal...

Nothing to do with the current situation / issue we're talking about...

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
LOL. I guess people don't read the quoted text....

Parkdale
05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
explain how the quoted part talks about over-the-air transmissions ?

Roogsy
05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
explain how the quoted part talks about over-the-air transmissions ?

Since the FCC broadcast rules include "over the air" transmissions, I think his question is valid about the differences in Canada and the format in which broadcasters send their signal, especially once SD ends. That's about as much as I can contribute to this since this is getting to be over my head. I buy widescreen and use the zoom feature on my PVR and TV all the time. That's the extend of my knowledge in this area. LOL!

MG42
05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
http://canadiansportsfan.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/257845664-1.jpg

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
http://canadiansportsfan.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/257845664-1.jpg

LOL. Isn't that false advertising?

BFin
05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
The CRTC has and always will be a joke in the industry. They have no clue how to properly regulate in Canada.

It's a really complicated issue with GolTV HD that I can't really touch on, but don't worry Rogers customers will have HD broadcasts very soon. As for why the preview channel no longer has the HD games, MLSE didn't make them available this year. Bell will tell you the same thing.

BFin
05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
SD is not ending. Parkdale and Carts are both right.

Over the air signals are ending. You need a converter, that's all.

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 02:24 PM
The CRTC has and always will be a joke in the industry. They have no clue how to properly regulate in Canada.

It's a really complicated issue with GolTV HD that I can't really touch on, but don't worry Rogers customers will have HD broadcasts very soon. As for why the preview channel no longer has the HD games, MLSE didn't make them available this year. Bell will tell you the same thing.

So the people at Gol TV are lying when they tell me its available but the providers won't pick it up?

Also, are you implying the sale of Teachers portion of MLSE to Rogers will close soon?

BFin
05-11-2011, 02:25 PM
The PREVIEW channel games.

I wasn't implying anything about an MLSE sale. I was implying that the channel should be available in HD on Rogers soon...don't know what that has to do with Rogers buying MLSE?

rdroze
05-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I have a question for anyone who might know: how many digital (only) channels with similar viewership to GolTV are being transmitted in HD, and how many are not? Simply comparing GolTV to other channels, is it unusual that the carriers are not doing the HD broadcast?

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 02:30 PM
The PREVIEW channel games.

I wasn't implying anything about an MLSE sale. I was implying that the channel should be available in HD on Rogers soon...don't know what that has to do with Rogers buying MLSE?

OK. Now we're getting somewhere.

So MLSE wants the carriers to pick up a 24-7 Gol TV in HD? Meaning the delay is on how much money each side gets? That would be a great channel if the Spanish, German and other MLS games were also in HD.

Or am I off the mark again?

elmo
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I guess the cable companies just aren't picking it up

GOL TV Canada is producing all MLS matches in crystal clear High Definition including the 21 Toronto FC matches on GOL TV Canada this season. As Canada's only 24-hour soccer network, we’re working hard with our distribution partners on satellite and cable to make GOL TV HD available. You can play your part by calling your service provider and asking them to add GOL TV Canada HD.

:picard:

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I have a question for anyone who might know: how many digital (only) channels with similar viewership to GolTV are being transmitted in HD, and how many are not? Simply comparing GolTV to other channels, is it unusual that the carriers are not doing the HD broadcast?

I don't know, but some of the channels like HD Net can't possible have very many viewers.

Parkdale
05-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Over the air signals are ending. You need a converter, that's all.

or a modern TV that can handle ATSC (aka DTV over the air) signals (and I know you, BFin, know this, so I'm stating it for people who don't know)

The TV that smuttynose and I have at home is attached to an HD antenna and shows us both the digital and analog stations.

The only way the end of 'over the air' would fit into this conversation is if the TFC games were on an analog station that didn't have a digital signal coming.

hodgkiss
05-11-2011, 08:05 PM
channel 428 is not hd...

James Oliphant
05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
^
I love when people talk about "channel XXXX" as if it's the same on all carriers. Reminds me of the good old days when you could actually say to a friend "put on channel 3!" and you'd be watching the same thing.

So the people at Gol TV are lying when they tell me its available but the providers won't pick it up?

Also, are you implying the sale of Teachers portion of MLSE to Rogers will close soon?

menefreghista
05-12-2011, 01:58 PM

What happened to your website?

James Oliphant
05-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I got lazy. :)

menefreghista
05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I got lazy. :)

Haha.

It was a good site.

I always relied on it to look for old match reports. Of course those links are all dead now anyways.

drexel10
05-13-2011, 08:51 AM
If they can get this HD thing sorted out, GOLTV would be the best bang for youe buck on TV. Uefa u17's semi finals are on today and Portland Seattle after the TFC game tomorrow night.

BFin
05-13-2011, 09:07 AM
You may not even have to pay for it soon. :)

drexel10
05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
You may not even have to pay for it soon. :)

LOL! I was just thinking that in comparision to TSN when it first cam out.

James Oliphant
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Haha.

It was a good site.

I always relied on it to look for old match reports. Of course those links are all dead now anyways.

Yeah, I know...that was part of the motivation for me not doing the hard work to bring it back up-to-date. Fucking MLS...

Anyway, I appreciate the compliment. For now, it's staying as a forum only. Not sure if I'll bother expanding on it again.

menefreghista
07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
So has anything happened on this front?

I just heard an ad on the FAN 590 asking people to call their provider for Gol TV HD. Have they taken their campaign to get their customers to lobby for them to the radio too?

Blizzard
07-07-2011, 04:38 PM
So has anything happened on this front?

I just heard an ad on the FAN 590 asking people to call their provider for Gol TV HD. Have they taken their campaign to get their customers to lobby for them to the radio too?

Funny. Rogers owns the Fan 590 and Rogers is the provider who will not give GOL TV an HD channel.

ForestGlade
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm confused why they don't just put the games on LeafsTV HD, a channel that sits dormant (Cogeco here) for 99% of the year

Blizzard
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm confused why they don't just put the games on LeafsTV HD, a channel that sits dormant (Cogeco here) for 99% of the year

It's licenced for Leafs TV, a hockey channel.

ForestGlade
07-07-2011, 06:00 PM
It's licenced for Leafs TV, a hockey channel.

Right, but I recall that's where they stuck the Real Madrid friendly. Is it really only licensed to show one sport?