PDA

View Full Version : Halfway remarks

egoodwin
07-03-2008, 11:34 PM
As Chicago on July 12, will be the halfway mark of the season,

I'd say the signings made by Mo, although they were improvements are not perfect.

Ricketts, Robert and Guevara have played good, but they've only lived up to their hype only once or twice this season, other than those occasions, they've been pretty ordinary. They are good players but they haven't delivered the Wow consistently week after week...

Tebily and James due to injuries and all we haven't really got a good enough look at to really judge their contributions to the side

while Edwards has done a pretty good job, with the exception of Columbus...

The most valuable signing I think is Velez, other then the rocky start to the season, he has become TFC's most consistent player, and has become rather dependable on our back line...

With some of our other players,

Dichio is still doing the job, he was an awful pest to the Vancouver keeper on Sat, and he's been able to get the job done so far this year...

Cunny, although he's getting a lot of heat, is doing an average job, sure he should be racking up the goals and have a high total right now, but he has put a couple of them in, and probably deserves a little more credit than what he's getting right now

At this point of the season, I'd say Velez would be my choice for TFC's Player of the Year

Pachuco
07-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I have to disagree with Guevara. If you watch this man closely day in and day out he is a genious. He doesn't score every game, but man he always looks like the best player on the field when he's playing for TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 12:05 AM
I gotta say that its rare that youll find a player that delivers that 'wow' factor week after week, the majority of players that do that are DP signings (see Blanco, Beckham, Donocunt, Angel) even then its not assured that they wont go through a dry spell (Angel, Emilio). Im pleased at the half way point even tho the last 3 games have been a bit shit. I think we will make the playoffs (not without supporters bitching and not without some more losses). Regardless we are heads and tails better then last year but that doesnt leave room for improvement.

noochie
07-04-2008, 12:19 AM
^^ You forgot Claudio Reyna :D

nimamalek
07-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I have to disagree with Guevara. If you watch this man closely day in and day out he is a genious. He doesn't score every game, but man he always looks like the best player on the field when he's playing for TFC.

i'd have to agree, he pulls defenders with great movement, finds space in midfield, comes back and defends, puts in great freek kicks and corners and makes the guys around him better every week. In addition, Robert is playing exactly like he did in the EPL, he has moments of brilliance that will give a team good chances but he doesnt defend well and his work rate is low. Ricketts has been a little inconsistent but he is still a great addition on the wing.

you have to remember as a team we've dropped some important games that would have made everyone happy. The home games against Columbus, KC and Vancouver and the last game against DC were games that we didnt win because of the entire team effort. If we'd won even 2 of those league games we'd be right at the top of the league and everyone would be happy...well most people would be happy, some people are never happy.

rocker
07-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I gotta say that its rare that youll find a player that delivers that 'wow' factor week after week, .

ya i think some people expect a bit too much from certain players in this league. we are so used to the brilliance players from the EPL or other big leagues, week in and week out, that we expect it from these players. We also don't watch every game of every other team in the league, so we have selective memories of good players on other teams. But if you read other message boards, you hear the same complaints about inconsistency -- even about other good players (guys we see from afar and think "wish we had him!").

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 10:00 AM
ya i think some people expect a bit too much from certain players in this league. we are so used to the brilliance players from the EPL or other big leagues, week in and week out, that we expect it from these players. We also don't watch every game of every other team in the league, so we have selective memories of good players on other teams. But if you read other message boards, you hear the same complaints about inconsistency -- even about other good players (guys we see from afar and think "wish we had him!").

HAHHA
totally, you hit the nail on the head.
Remember people (myself included) pineing for Terry Cooke?
WE HAVE FUCKING LAURENT ROBERT PEOPLE!!!!
HES A BILLION TIMES BETTER THEN TERRY FUCKING COOKE!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 10:01 AM
That doesnt mean we excuse laziness by anymeans it just means keeping ones demands of a player in check.

rocker
07-04-2008, 10:03 AM
HAHHA
totally, you hit the nail on the head.
Remember people (myself included) pineing for Terry Cooke?
WE HAVE FUCKING LAURENT ROBERT PEOPLE!!!!
HES A BILLION TIMES BETTER THEN TERRY FUCKING COOKE!!!

or how about Kenny Duecher??? 2 goals in 16 games................................ Mr. I-scored-so-many-goals-in-Scotland-but-can't-score-shit-in-MLS.

I remember some people on this board (I won't name names but I know who you are!!!) complaining about how RSL signed this guy and we didn't, and how Deucher was at an affordable price.. well Cunny even has more goals than him.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 10:09 AM
or how about Kenny Duecher??? 2 goals in 16 games................................ Mr. I-scored-so-many-goals-in-Scotland-but-can't-score-shit-in-MLS.

I remember some people on this board (I won't name names but I know who you are!!!) complaining about how RSL signed this guy and we didn't, and how Deucher was at an affordable price.. well Cunny even has more goals than him.

HAHAHA
totally

H Bomb
07-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with those who think Guevara has been outstanding. As much as anything because I really notice when he isn't on the field. He's aways looking for the ball and playing an aggressive style. I also think Tebily & James have looked very good in their limited time. They both play mean which I really like in defenders.