PDA

View Full Version : New York Cosmos are back! (In PDL Forum)

Yeoman
05-05-2011, 12:38 PM
http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/523306.html
SL News Release Wednesday, May 4, 2011
TAMPA, Fla. – United Soccer Leagues announced today that New York Cosmos U23 will field a team in the Premier Development League (PDL), and will become a full member for the 2012 season. New York Cosmos U23 will play a limited exhibition schedule against PDL competition during the 2011 season, and will not be eligible for the playoffs or the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The PDL franchise will be led by longtime USL player/coach Giovanni Savarese, who is also a member of the 2007 USL Hall of Fame. A coaching announcement, along with the full roster and schedule will be posted by mid-May on www.uslsoccer.com and www.newyorkcosmos.com.
After a 25-year absence, The New York Cosmos were relaunched in August 2010 with Pelé named Honorary President. One of the most recognizable soccer clubs in the world. The New York Cosmos took America, and subsequently the world, by storm in the 1970s and 1980s by bringing in top stars such as Pelé, Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto and Giorgio Chinaglia to play an entertaining brand of soccer that captivated fans.
Currently, the club’s international ambassadors include Chinaglia and Alberto. Former France and Manchester United forward Eric Cantona serves as director of soccer and former United States international Cobi Jones is associate director of soccer and ambassador.
“We are excited to have one of the top names in world soccer joining the Premier Development League,” USL CEO Alec Papadakis said. “New York Cosmos U23 is led by experienced and ambitious management who know how to run a first-class operation, and their participation will only strengthen the thriving PDL presence in the greater New York area. This relationship is a natural progression based on their strong relationship with Umbro, USL’s most important and longest standing partner.”
The New York Cosmos operate Cosmos Academy East (based out of Queens, N.Y.) and Cosmos Academy West (based out of Pomona, Calif.), with both participating in the United States Soccer Development Academy program. This emphasis on youth development fits perfectly with the PDL model, which focuses on continuing the development of elite players beyond the youth level.
“We are excited to be a part of the USL family and are putting forth the dedication and resources necessary at every level within our organization to rebuild The New York Cosmos in the right away,” said Paul Kemsley, Chairman, The New York Cosmos. “Our New York Cosmos U23 team is a natural extension to our Cosmos Academy and further reinforces our commitment to developing young, talented players. Our academy players will have a chance to play amongst some experienced and competitive PDL teams and we look forward to a full season in 2012 and beyond.”
The premier U23 men’s league in North America, the USL Premier Development League features 64 teams within four conferences across the United States and Canada in 2011. The PDL provides elite collegiate players the opportunity to taste a higher level of competition while maintaining their eligibility.
Upon officially joining the PDL for 2012, New York Cosmos U23 will enhance the already strong PDL presence in the greater New York area and have a wealth of natural rivals. Among the current PDL clubs based nearby are the Brooklyn Knights, Long Island Rough Riders and Westchester Flames.
The top supplier of talent for professional soccer in North America, the PDL saw another large group of its alumni make the move into professional soccer recently with 37 of the 54 players selected in the 2011 Major League Soccer SuperDraft having previously played in the PDL. A remarkable eight of the first 10 selections in the draft had PDL experience.

The Professor
05-05-2011, 01:00 PM
That reminds me, I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago.
The New York Cosmos Want to Take the Field Again http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Cosmos-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=new%20york%20cosmos&st=cse

[NBF]
05-05-2011, 01:04 PM
so does David Beckham own part of the NY Cosmos?

__wowza
05-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Alf is back! (In Pog Form)

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhklx2VAvA1qgyk01o1_500.png

drewski
05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
they're gonna do great! (it's amazing how motivating the threat of a kungfu kick can be ;))

Yeoman
05-05-2011, 02:22 PM
I know that FC London is trying to get the play them this year
I wonder if the Lynx are trying?

Serb_Star
05-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Pogs! what a blast from the past.

Come back 90's.

jaahuuu
05-06-2011, 01:49 PM
One of the most recognizable soccer clubs in the world.
They are certainly trying to capitalize on that. I saw a Cosmos billboard 2 weeks ago...in London...England.

Damien
05-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Alf is back! (In Pog Form)

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhklx2VAvA1qgyk01o1_500.png

weird, i was just thinking this...

cherono
08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what the Cosmos' ultimate strategy is. Are they looking to be the second NY MLS team?
At the moment they seem to exist as an ambitious Umbro marketing scheme with a token youth academy. As well, is Umbro owned by Nike (hence the involvement of Cantona) and how would that be reconciled with the MLS / Adidas set-up?

kodiakTFC
08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
NY Cosmos just dropped their WEST (LA) Academy Team for the purpose of being able to go fully pro and not infringe on another teams rights. So they are definitely up to something, probably just looking for capable investors.

rocker
08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what the Cosmos' ultimate strategy is. Are they looking to be the second NY MLS team?

this Cosmos ownership group seems serious. They've had talks with Don Garber and MLS about being the 20th team. Garber outright said he wants the 20th team to be in New York City, since they don't have a team actually in the city. Garber thinks a rivalry could be created between the New Jersey team and the New York team, and the Red Bulls don't seem to mind. Garber is also talking to the Mets' owners about them being an owner and building a stadium near the Mets' new baseball stadium, as there is space around that could be used (parking lots), and some light industrial land nearby as well. I saw an interview with the Cosmos dude that suggested it might even be possible that the Cosmos combine forces with the Mets' owner on this.

rocker
08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
here are the latest Cosmos news articles relating to MLS:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2011/07/28/2593700/whats-going-on-with-the-new-york-cosmos

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2021016/Manchester-United-legend-Eric-Cantona-returns-Old-Trafford.html

mdc 77
08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Good luck to the Cosmos, but I can't imagine things are looking good to enter MLS anytime soon. The Wilpons (Mets Owners) have serious financial issues and as everyone knows the economy in the states, and worldwide for that matter has become much more uncertain of late. I can't see a ton of investors lining up to fund a brand new stadium in New York City, then pay a $45-$50 million expansion fee to enter a single entity league.

menefreghista
08-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Good luck to the Cosmos, but I can't imagine things are looking good to enter MLS anytime soon. The Wilpons (Mets Owners) have serious financial issues and as everyone knows the economy in the states, and worldwide for that matter has become much more uncertain of late. I can't see a ton of investors lining up to fund a brand new stadium in New York City, then pay a $45-$50 million expansion fee to enter a single entity league.

Agreed.

The main issue with the Cosmos is investment money. As of now they have none.

GuelphStorm2007
08-11-2011, 01:10 PM
AS crazy as I am about to say I have this funny feeling that the Cosmos and NYRB will merge as 1 team. If I am wrong them call me out on it.

menefreghista
08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
AS crazy as I am about to say I have this funny feeling that the Cosmos and NYRB will merge as 1 team. If I am wrong them call me out on it.

That would involve an ownership change.

kodiakTFC
08-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Won't happen for many reasons..

1. Its Red Bull policy to name their teams after their brand.
2. The purpose of NYC2 isn't the derby necessaryily but in having a team closer to downtown.. a team actually in NYC!
3. Cosmos name didn't come cheap, infact in 96 the NY MetroStars wanted to be the Cosmos but couldn't afford the brand.

TOBOR !
10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Not so fast...

Cosmos Rebirth Runs Into Trouble (http://www.socceramerica.com/article/44369/cosmos-rebirth-runs-into-trouble.html)

A good case stating the reason(s) why it's not gonna work, concluded with this :

What next? We wait to find out what impact the latest “ownership group” seeking a New York franchise will have. This one is led by Chuck Blazer, soon to be quitting his job as the Concacaf General Secretary, along with former Cosmos goalkeeper Shep Messing and former New York Jets running back Curtis Martin.

.. Chuck Blazer..... ffs.

Detroit_TFC
10-26-2011, 03:34 PM
When Chuck Blazer is the sensible option compared to Paul Kemsley, that gives you a feel for how dodgy the Kemsley crowd was. The people with the money behind Kemsley will probably get in on the action but not as the lead investors.

I never thought for a minute that Kemsley could make this happen.

Update: Cosmos just announced Kemsley's resignation as chairman. http://nycosmos.com/news/paul-kemsley-steps-down-chairmanceo-new-york-cosmos-0

This actually may allow the process to move forward with MLS now. No way was Garber going to let him into the owners inner circle. I would guess a team on the field is still at least 2 yrs away min, even if a stadium accommodation is reached soon.

Gazza_55
10-27-2011, 12:42 AM

I think a Saudi group owns the rights to the Cosmos brand and they and the other groups Garber had in his box at RBA for the US v Ecuador match would have to pay close to a $100m expansion fee for a NY team.

TOBOR !
10-27-2011, 06:59 AM
^ it's been mentioned that Garber floated the $100M fee in order to dissuade the Kemsley group.

Oldtimer
10-27-2011, 07:30 AM
3. Cosmos name didn't come cheap, infact in 96 the NY MetroStars wanted to be the Cosmos but couldn't afford the brand.

The funny thing is... in 1996 they could have had the name for just $1 million, but in early MLS that was serious money. (The Cosmos name was only being used for kid's soccer camps at the time run by Chinaglia).

I suspect that the name went for a lot more when it finally sold.

TorCanSoc
10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Can we all collectively say "I told you so". Cosmos is a train wreck.

I had an NASL ball when I was a kid. I wish I kept it. On that note, I have a year 1 TFC mini ball, awesome to see it 20 years from now in the same condition its in now.

james
10-27-2011, 09:27 PM
i dont know why they insist on calling a team the NY Cosmos....everyone would exspect the team to be an allstar team just like in the 70s and win every game, and that just not how MLS works. I could picture a team called the cosmos being a big joke to everyone.

NY get a 2nd team thats fine, but name them something else!

TOBOR !
11-03-2011, 07:54 AM
New York Cosmos set to be sold to Arab firm (http://www.insideworldfootball.biz/worldfootball/centralandnorthamerica/9858-new-york-cosmos-set-to-be-sold-to-arab-firm)

New York Cosmos, once the most glamourous name in United States soccer which even lured Pele out of retirement, wants to become a major force once again – possibly with Arab money.

maninb
11-03-2011, 09:47 AM
The NYRB can't even draw a decent crowd for a playoff game with Beckham in town...the Cosmos will be an outright DISASTER....but I don't expect Garber will be able to resist trying...

Redcoe15
11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
And where exactly are the Cosmos - if they do manage to return - going to play? And more importantly, how is a new stadium going to get built? Look at how long it took for the Yankees and Mets to get their stadiums built. There's a reason why NYRB built their stadium in Harrison, NJ. Land in New York ain't cheap, plus you got to go through a whole lot of red tape just to get started. Good luck to this Arab group getting anything done.

Don Garber wants a second team in New York in the worst way possible. With people like this group, plus the names of Chuck Blazer, Shep Messing, and the Wilpon family floating around, he's just likely to get that. :facepalm:

rocker
11-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Garber has already had feasibility discussions with the mayor of New York, Bloomberg, about possible locations for a stadium. So site identification is done. Now it's a matter of orchestrating a group that could fund a stadium with private money, maybe with infrastructure upgrades from the city, and pay the entry fee. If these Arabs that just bought out Kelmsley are rich as hell, that may not be a problem.

TOBOR !
11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
These Arabs should also purchase the LA Dodgers and move them back to Brooklyn and buils some giant sporting complex to house the Cozzies and the 'gers.

james
11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Garber has already had feasibility discussions with the mayor of New York, Bloomberg, about possible locations for a stadium. So site identification is done. Now it's a matter of orchestrating a group that could fund a stadium with private money, maybe with infrastructure upgrades from the city, and pay the entry fee. If these Arabs that just bought out Kelmsley are rich as hell, that may not be a problem.

i very much doudt location is decided on and a done deal. Just because there may have been talks about certain locations doesnt mean its a done deal, they probably are a hell of a long way from done. I believe it once the shuvels are in the ground!

menefreghista
11-03-2011, 10:02 PM
i very much doudt location is decided on and a done deal. Just because there may have been talks about certain locations doesnt mean its a done deal, they probably are a hell of a long way from done. I believe it once the shuvels are in the ground!

I will believe it when MLS cashes in a franchise fee and announces the team.

As it stands now it looks like the league isn't really close to expanding anywhere.

Redcoe15
11-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I will believe it when MLS cashes in a franchise fee and announces the team.

As it stands now it looks like the league isn't really close to expanding anywhere.
And that should be a good thing.

Detroit_TFC
11-04-2011, 11:15 AM
My read is that 1) MLS bigwigs are ok with NY2, 2) Garber has an ownership group now he feels comfortable with (ie no Kemsley) or at least the components of one, 3) now it is "lets make a deal" with NYC on what they will chip in in terms of site, site prep, infrastructure, getting favorable tax abatements, etc. I would imagine that the actual stadium construction will be a mix of private funding and various tax-increment bonds or other shenanigans they do now to hide the publically funded component of stadium construction these days.

Problem is that it takes some time to get all the tax funding parts in place. That was one of the reasons it took so long for KC's stadium to built and why it ended up in Kansas instead of Missouri.