PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle's Alan Smith, bound for MLS, according to jaded ex

ExiledRed
05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Alan Smiths ex has taken over his twitter, and suggests he has his eyes on MLS because:

Oh he wants to finish his career in the U.S as he can play till the late 30s and still get good money and a good lifestyle

I thought this was amusing and relevant enough to make a thread.

http://twitter.com/#!/AlanSmithy17

ExiledRed
05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
hahaha shes tweeting like a bluebird on crack!

This is fun, if I were famous, my wife would have done this x1000

Whoop
05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
He would be linked to TFC but the Newcastle connection is gone now.

Whoop
05-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Just read some of the tweets.... hilarious. LOL

tfcleeds
05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Fuck him, traitorous scum.

Gazza
05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
We're still falling for fake twitter accounts?

How do you know it's his ex? Probably some 14 year old geordie.

prizby
05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Fuck him, traitorous scum.

can you blame a guy for leaving to play premier league soccer?

are you going to call Stefan Frei that when he eventually goes off to Europe to further his career?

Ron Manager
05-04-2011, 11:26 AM
He would be linked to TFC but the Newcastle connection is gone now.

no it isn't, Carver was in the dugout Sunday vs Liverpool.

tfcleeds
05-04-2011, 11:28 AM

are you going to call Stefan Frei that when he eventually goes off to Europe to further his career?

Stefan Frei leaving for Europe eventually doesn't even compare to Alan Smith. He left us for our most hated rivals. You're saying you wouldn't say that about Frei if he left us for Montreal?

Now there is more to the story than that, as any Leeds fan will admit. But that's beyond the scope of this immediate conversation.

Technorgasm
05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I hear he is good at blocking free kicks.. . . lol

ExiledRed
05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
We're still falling for fake twitter accounts?

still? I never fell for a fake Twitter account before, and was sent this by a newcastle supporter who's been following him for months.

Oblio2
05-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I'd take Smith here....He'd tear this league apart
:)

WestStandGeoff
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
no it isn't, Carver was in the dugout Sunday vs Liverpool.

Yes, and I think Whoop was pointing out that since Carver is back at Newcastle, we no longer have a staff member who used to coach at NUFC, and therefore we don't have the connection.

ExiledRed
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM

You know what, I think you're right. But I expect the board will be once again underwhelmed by the idea because his name doesnt end in a vowel.

Oblio2
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
The kid has heart too.....and he's a battler.

koryo
05-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Smith's the kind of player who will put steel into the players around him. Ability-wise past his best, but still a leader of men.

TFC could use a pair of bollocks right about now.

ExiledRed
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Smith's the kind of player who will put steel into the players around him. Ability-wise past his best, but still a leader of men.

as opposed to the load of bollocks we see every week

Ron Manager
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, and I think Whoop was pointing out that since Carver is back at Newcastle, we no longer have a staff member who used to coach at NUFC, and therefore we don't have the connection.

but we DO have a former staff member on staff there...I think that still counts...

ExiledRed
05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
but we DO have a former staff member on staff there...I think that still counts...

It counts if the split was amicable, and I dont think it was.

Carver's likely to tell him what goes on here........ If he does, we probably wont get him.

prizby
05-04-2011, 01:21 PM

thats a good point, i didn't look at it that way..

ExiledRed
05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
thats a good point, i didn't look at it that way..

Did you forget to change character before responding to your own post?

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I hear he is good at blocking free kicks.. . . lol

john arne riise for the (very graphic) win

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Did you forget to change character before responding to your own post?

i wonder which one of them knows smith basically deserted leeds for the mancs.

menefreghista
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM

How did he desert them? By not agreeing to get paid less in a lower division?

Didn't he waive his personal transfer fee to make the move happen?

Sounds like he was unfairly vilified.

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
^ that maybe, but from leeds to man utd?? *tugs collar*

Gazza
05-04-2011, 02:02 PM

I wonder how many leeds players wouldn't have at the time? Given the choice, they all would. Go down with a sinking ship and get paid a fraction of what you're worth or answer Alex Ferguson's call and sign a big money contract with a big club that is capable of winning trophies? Easy decision for anyone in his position.

I saw Gilmour in a Hab jersey and Sundin in a Nuck jersey...i got over it.

menefreghista
05-04-2011, 02:04 PM
^ that maybe, but from leeds to man utd?? *tugs collar*

That's modern football for you.

Were there other transfers line up?

Weren't Leeds a financial disaster at the time? I'm sure ManU had the best offer and that's the one Leeds management wanted.

tfcleeds
05-04-2011, 02:19 PM
How did he desert them? By not agreeing to get paid less in a lower division?

Didn't he waive his personal transfer fee to make the move happen?

Sounds like he was unfairly vilified.

The point I left unspoken was that ManYoo were the only club that came in for him, and he did his best to ensure that Leeds, who were already in financial disarray, were left in as good a position as possible after his transfer.

Is my dislike of him irrational given all that? Perhaps. But he still left us for them, and if you were to ask most people in Leeds, I think many would consider him persona non-grata as a result. In any event, his last act in Leeds colours was to give the finger to their supporters anyways, so maybe that's where it comes from.

Most Leeds supporters reserve more vitriol for Cantona and Rio Ferdinand anyway.

tfcleeds
05-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I wonder how many leeds players wouldn't have at the time?

Most would have gone to Old Trafford, given the chance I'm sure. Rio certainly didn't take long to express his interest when he learned of Man U's interest. What makes Smith different is he was actually born and bred in Leeds, grew up a Leeds supporter. Out of the players to have crossed the divide in the last 30 years or so (Jordan, McQueen, Cantona, Ferdinand, Smith) he is the only one who can make that claim.

rocktml
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
No thanks. 81 APP for Newcastle with 0 goals playing as a M/F.

Technorgasm
05-04-2011, 03:37 PM
john arne riise for the (very graphic) win

ouch!

__94_NleNes

CretanBull
05-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I still hate him.

Edit: If you want an idea of how most Leeds fans feel about Smith...

Imagine if instead of retiring, Danny Dichio went to play for Montreal - after repeatedly saying that no matter what his future with TFC would be, he'd never play for the Impact. Imagine if TFC wasn't a few years old, but had a rivalry with Montreal for nearly 100 years. Imagine if Dichio wasn't English, but was born in Toronto.

That gives you some idea of how it felt to see Smith go to Man U. It wasn't just seeing a top player going to a historic rival, it was seeing the heart and soul of the club ripped out and that sense of betrayal and immediate emotional response (even if its been temptered with new information over the years) is difficult to overcome.

koryo
05-04-2011, 06:58 PM
I still hate him.

Edit: If you want an idea of how most Leeds fans feel about Smith...

Imagine if instead of retiring, Danny Dichio went to play for Montreal - after repeatedly saying that no matter what his future with TFC would be, he'd never play for the Impact. Imagine if TFC wasn't a few years old, but had a rivalry with Montreal for nearly 100 years. Imagine if Dichio wasn't English, but was born in Toronto.

That gives you some idea of how it felt to see Smith go to Man U. It wasn't just seeing a top player going to a historic rival, it was seeing the heart and soul of the club ripped out and that sense of betrayal and immediate emotional response (even if its been temptered with new information over the years) is difficult to overcome.

I don't hate him. He was being sold... it was just a question of who was going to buy him. It ended up being ManU because they met the club's valuation of the player and were the only club willing to pay the entire sum up front.

That money kept us going through the summer/autumn of 2004. We would have, quite literally, been wound up otherwise. That, and had the 2004 team featured 10 Alan Smiths and one Nigel Martyn, we would not have been relegated.

You lot keep the blinkers on if you want, but you're being overly simplistic in the matter in my opinion.

Ferdinand, on the other hand, is a fucking judas cunt.

CretanBull
05-04-2011, 09:18 PM
You're making a logical argument vs my emotional reaction ;)

Having said that, I have a hard time accepting the version of events that's being told now. It's too perfect, Leeds get off the hook for doing business with Man U, Smith gets off the hook for going back on his word and the whole thing was a noble act to save the club. There probably is some truth to what's come out recently, but if it's entirely true I then it makes no sense for Leeds and/or Smith to sit on that information for all these years when he was living with death threats and couldn't show his face in his home town. If the story as now told has been true all along it could have been explained to the fans years ago and years of hostility would have been avoided - it doesn't make sense to me that Leeds/Smith would allow all that hate to happen if there was a simple explanation that fans would have accepted.

ExiledRed
05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I cant imagine how I'd feel about Stevie Gerrard or jamie Carragher going to Manchester United. It would be a kick in the stomach, just unthinkable.

torontocelt
05-04-2011, 09:43 PM
You're making a logical argument vs my emotional reaction ;)

Having said that, I have a hard time accepting the version of events that's being told now. It's too perfect, Leeds get off the hook for doing business with Man U, Smith gets off the hook for going back on his word and the whole thing was a noble act to save the club. There probably is some truth to what's come out recently, but if it's entirely true I then it makes no sense for Leeds and/or Smith to sit on that information for all these years when he was living with death threats and couldn't show his face in his home town. If the story as now told has been true all along it could have been explained to the fans years ago and years of hostility would have been avoided - it doesn't make sense to me that Leeds/Smith would allow all that hate to happen if there was a simple explanation that fans would have accepted.

One of your best players who was born and bred in your own city and who supported the club he played for signs for your number one arch nemesis, yeah I would say you have a right to dislike him.

tfcleeds
05-04-2011, 10:43 PM
At least he never kissed the badge - I applaud him for that.

That and the fact he's never been as good for anyone he's been with since he left Leeds - much like Harry Kewell. Kewell is more of a dick in my opinion though.

CretanBull
05-04-2011, 10:50 PM
At least he never kissed the badge - I applaud him for that.

Crying and kissing the badge in his last game in a Leeds uniform:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/459/291/smith_184723s_display_image.jpg?1287739646

That and the fact he's never been as good for anyone he's been with since he left Leeds - much like Harry Kewell. Kewell is more of a dick in my opinion though.

That much is true, he was an icon for us but never really got it together for another club. We lost our heart and soul when he left, but I think he lost his too.

Kewell is scum, how he could ever play for Galatasaray is revolting to me.

bman27
05-05-2011, 12:59 AM
uggghh i dont know how to feel about smith, he was my favorite player growing up, i know he had to be sold, and they were the ones calling but god damn it hurt so much to see him in red. also him going down with newcastle and staying with them was a punch in the gut. but getting past my emotions, he would do well here, he has the strengh they we are definitely lacking.

bman27
05-05-2011, 12:59 AM
and yes, Kewell is fucking scum

koryo
05-05-2011, 03:31 AM
uggghh i dont know how to feel about smith, he was my favorite player growing up, i know he had to be sold, and they were the ones calling but god damn it hurt so much to see him in red. also him going down with newcastle and staying with them was a punch in the gut. but getting past my emotions, he would do well here, he has the strengh they we are definitely lacking.

I'm not saying it didn't hurt when Smith went to scum. I just don't think he's judas scum at the end of the day.

Kewell, on the other hand, can rot in hell holding his carved-out genitals in his hands for all eternity.

CretanBull
05-05-2011, 03:41 AM

There's not question about that. He'd be the midfield engine and provide some steel - both of which we're sorely lacking. If his heart was in it, he'd grab this team by the scruff of the neck and carry them on his back.

He was my favourite player too, he came close to being (and some would even argue he was) the Billy Brenmer of our generation. I have little doubt that the pain of that betrayal has clouded my judgement since, but it is what it is.

tfcleeds
05-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Crying and kissing the badge in his last game in a Leeds uniform:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/459/291/smith_184723s_display_image.jpg?1287739646

Never kissed the Man U badge though!

Like others have said, I was hurt and disillusioned by his decision to leave us for the red side of Manchester. But contrary to what I've said in the Leeds thread, if he ever did come back to ER someday, I guess he'd have redeemed himself, in my view anyway.

koryo
05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
But back to the matter at-hand. I wouldn't want Smith here if his salary was going to command a significant portion of the wage bill.

brad
05-05-2011, 08:12 AM
This has been confirmed as fake by multiple noteworthy sources. Smith has never been on twitter and doesn't have an ex-fiancee

Alixir
05-05-2011, 08:16 AM
No thanks. 81 APP for Newcastle with 0 goals playing as a M/F.DeGuzman is catching up to him!!

Azerban
05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
DeGuzman is catching up to him!!

Julian De Guzman 2009– 36 (0)
Jacob Peterson 2010– 32 (1)

you can respond with "but all the other stuff he does" and thats all well and good but i think a giant sack of gold coins delivered by robot helicopter every week would buy you a shot on target once in a while

Gazza
05-05-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm not saying it didn't hurt when Smith went to scum. I just don't think he's judas scum at the end of the day.

Kewell, on the other hand, can rot in hell holding his carved-out genitals in his hands for all eternity.

Was it Bowyer who had a move to Liverpool rejected? Then left for free?

tfcleeds
05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
^Yeah, he had a GBP 9 mil move rejected by Liverpool. He's another I'm not sorry to see the back of - little thug. Although he played out of his skin for us in the 2001 CL.

Gazza
05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
^Yeah, he had a GBP 9 mil move rejected by Liverpool. He's another I'm not sorry to see the back of - little thug. Although he played out of his skin for us in the 2001 CL.

For sure, i loved the way he played, i had an affinity for thugs i guess. To think of how great that team could've been if things didn't get so fucked up.

tfcleeds
05-05-2011, 09:39 AM
^Living beyond our means, for sure. At the time, I was thinking, "wow, this is great!". But in the back of my mind, I was wondering where the money was coming from. 7 mil for Seth Johnson - yeah.

scooter
05-05-2011, 11:11 AM

spot on

maninb
05-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Please...he's washed up.....you think a mid-30's injury-prone, slow midfielder would last here??? No chance....

torontocelt
05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
He was my favourite player too, he came close to being (and some would even argue he was) the Billy Brenmer of our generation.

A bit before my time was Billy but from what I can gather he was a tremendous player, isn't this a bit of an insult to him?

CretanBull
05-05-2011, 08:53 PM
A bit before my time was Billy but from what I can gather he was a tremendous player, isn't this a bit of an insult to him?

It's not intended to be insulting to Bremner - a true club legend - it's meant to reflect where Smith stood in the hearts and minds of most Leeds supporters when he was at his peak, leading our team into the Champions League.

CretanBull
05-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Never kissed the Man U badge though!

Ah! I should have realized that's what you meant.