PDA

View Full Version : Red Bulls to play in Emirates Cup London

werewolf
04-28-2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2011/04/red-bulls-face-arsenal-psg-emirates-cup-london

HARRISON, NJ– The New York Red Bulls will participate in the 2011 edition of the Emirates Cup, an international competition held at the Emirates Stadium in London, England, from July 30-31. In addition to the Red Bulls, storied English side and host Arsenal FC, legendary French club Paris Saint-Germain and Argentine powerhouse Club Atlético Boca Juniors will participate.

Suds
04-28-2011, 04:28 PM
As a fan I'd hate my team taking off to Europe to play in a tournament in the middle of the season, however, I think the players on NYRB will love the chance to play in it.

It will be interesting to see how they do against whatever line-ups the other teams put out.

Roogsy
04-28-2011, 04:36 PM
As a professional player I bet they'd love it. What an opportunity!

But you're right Suds, the fans must not be too happy. NYRB is supposed to compete this year and any distraction might take away from their ultimate goal, an MLS trophy whether it be the Supporter's Shield or the MLS Cup.

prizby
04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
who cares *yawn*...its not even over here

twistedchinaman
04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Ultimate mid-season distraction that could ultimately cost them chances for domestic trophies. It's a bad gamble to say the least.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Got to be a dream come true for the players to get some European exposure without having to move to Denmark.

RBNY has three games the week before (Jul 16, 20, 23), they're going to be exhausted.

rocker
04-29-2011, 12:14 AM
and NY has some tough games right after they return.. away to RSL immediately after... then LAG later in the month... they play NE and Fire in between -- not easy games.

mdc 77
04-29-2011, 06:31 AM
What a joke...with all the talk of if RSL had won champs league and the credibility that it would have given MLS to have a club in the club world cup, this makes the league look as mickey mouse as ever.

A midseason friendly tourney 5500km away!:picard:

Yeoman
04-29-2011, 06:33 AM
but yet when manchester united go and do a mid season in the emirates it's okay?
just sayin
i find this as rather neat.
you've got be a team with a little bit of weight behind your name to get invited to this tourny, but really i bet it's because henry wants to play there a couple more times.

Fort York Redcoat
04-29-2011, 07:13 AM
but yet when manchester united go and do a mid season in the emirates it's okay?

Umm no. But then they didn't ask me about it.

Technorgasm
04-29-2011, 07:14 AM
I fionally "un-friendsed" Dero. . as this was all over his Fbook.

*Yawn*

Oldtimer
04-29-2011, 08:10 AM
just sayin

Yeah, Mickey Mouse team in a Mickey Mouse league. :lol:

mdc 77
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
just sayin
i find this as rather neat.
you've got be a team with a little bit of weight behind your name to get invited to this tourny, but really i bet it's because henry wants to play there a couple more times.

No its not.

Personally I think there is nothing neat about this. This is all about the corporatization of football. This has nothing to do about having "weight" behind your name and getting invited to this tourney.

Really though, (YAWN) I could careless. I would be pissed if I was a Red Bull supporter.

I think the Guardian had it about right...

you'll watch anyway because at that time of year it's marginally better than nothing.

jabbronies
04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
good for them - i'm sure the reason they got the chance to participate had more to do with that fact that they have Henry and Marquez, than for them being a good team