PDA

View Full Version : New Johnson Blog - Swagger to Stagger

H Bomb
07-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Kinda whiney and links to us twice...but here it is

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/07/03/johnston_stagger/

SilverSamurai
07-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Makes it sound like Pachuca is a pushover... I'd be happy w/ a tie, but it's only a friendly. Use it to try out a new tactic or 2.

Cambridge_Red
07-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Makes it sound like Pachuca is a pushover... I'd be happy w/ a tie, but it's only a friendly. Use it to try out a new tactic or 2.

I agree it's a chance to wipe the slate clean, and apply some new ideas. If it doesn't work no harm done this game is relatively meaningless though I do expect value for the money I have paid.

noochie
07-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I am hoping that we don't lose by more than 3 goals.

DOMIN8R
07-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Proof, once again, that the soccer writers (I fall short of caling them journalists) use the Red Patch Boys as their prime source for their material.

Having said that. This editorial wasn't completelly off base. He says alot of what we've been saying on this board. Of course - again, this board is one of his primary sources of material.

But it must be said - JC has justiably lost his swagger. And we will likelly not beat Pachuca. And he, himself has sounded the alarm bell in his last post game news conference. The alarm was directed to Mo - and it wasn't subtle. It sounde like this:

get me some players who can find the back of the net.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Thought this posted earlier.
Cant say i agree with the article (defo agree with teh comment above in the sense that this forum seems to be a regular source of information/opinion).
The team has lost form, so have many teams (including Chicago and Columbus, both of which are close to us for points). I do believe however that JC will sort it out and i also think that its a bit extreme to put it all on the friendly against Pachuca.

Wooster_TFC
07-04-2008, 06:58 AM
You have to consider a couple of things when it comes to this blog (and yes that's what it is).

1. Ryan has on a consistent basis written about TFC. Maybe he's not as informed and well written as Morgan Campbell, but IMO, anything written about TFC is good. We have to get the laymen watching the game for it to succeed fully. All publicity is good publicity.

2. I find it interesting that people on here think that all the obvious stuff that is stated in some articles is taken from here. Ryan fully admits to reading here, and links to the posts that he uses for material. Much better than some other papers I could mention, but won't due to the "ban" on saying them :).

3. We should be HAPPY he's bringing more publicity to the team, not bitching that he "steals everything from these forums" or that he "doesn't know what he's talking about".

As for the comment about a "decisive victory" being required, I think he's more referring to morale and the current losing streak than he is referring to lack of skill from Pachuca. In fact, in the next line he even states that it isn't going to be easy. I agree with his assessment, but would modify it to say something akin to "a very very strong game will be required against Pachuca in order to not have this small losing streak become a large slide".

I also think it might be a good idea to use the friendly to try some things, but the main focus should be getting everyone back on the same page and all working towards the same goal.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-04-2008, 07:37 AM
You have to consider a couple of things when it comes to this blog (and yes that's what it is).

1. Ryan has on a consistent basis written about TFC. Maybe he's not as informed and well written as Morgan Campbell, but IMO, anything written about TFC is good. We have to get the laymen watching the game for it to succeed fully. All publicity is good publicity.

2. I find it interesting that people on here think that all the obvious stuff that is stated in some articles is taken from here. Ryan fully admits to reading here, and links to the posts that he uses for material. Much better than some other papers I could mention, but won't due to the "ban" on saying them :).

3. We should be HAPPY he's bringing more publicity to the team, not bitching that he "steals everything from these forums" or that he "doesn't know what he's talking about".

As for the comment about a "decisive victory" being required, I think he's more referring to morale and the current losing streak than he is referring to lack of skill from Pachuca. In fact, in the next line he even states that it isn't going to be easy. I agree with his assessment, but would modify it to say something akin to "a very very strong game will be required against Pachuca in order to not have this small losing streak become a large slide".

I also think it might be a good idea to use the friendly to try some things, but the main focus should be getting everyone back on the same page and all working towards the same goal.

Definitely some interesting points, the last being the most important