PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Cann

SoccMan
04-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Sorry guys as good as Adrian seems to look as one of our center backs, looks are very decieving. Yes he does seem to clear and defend many attacks from the oposition, however, this year as in many times last year his defensive mistakes has caused goals for the oposition just like yesterdays goal from Columbus to tie the game. Just have a look at the replay and see how Adrian was not able to stop the Columbus player from getting his head on the Columbus goal. Go and look back on one of the goals from the last game versus D.C. United and again Adrian's inability to mark one of the D.C. United players caused the second D.C. United goal. I'm sure if you look and some of the other goals scored against us this year you will see an Adrian Cann mistake. Look I love his dedication to our team and his effort, however, I think he is overated and we need a proper center back in order for us to move forward.

2mil4dero+santo
04-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Sorry guys as good as Adrian seems to look as one of our center backs, looks are very decieving. Yes he does seem to clear and defend many attacks from the oposition, howeve, this year as in many times last year his defensive mistakes has caused goals for the oposition just like yesterdays goal from Columbus to tie the game. Just have a look at the replay and see how Adrian was not able to stop the Columbus player from getting his head on the Columbus goal. Go and look back on one of the goals from the last game versus D.C. United and again Adrian's inability to mark one of the D.C. United players caused the second D.C. United goals. I'm sure if you look and some of the other goals scored against us this year you will see an Adrian Cann mistake. Look I love his dedication to our team and his effort, however, I think he is overated and we need a proper center back in order for us to move forward.

cann is the least of our problems right now. I think he's a good cb, though I miss Ty Marshall.
Yeah, he could've played him a little tighter, but it was a good header. imo the left back was more at fault he was static about 5 yards from the opponent crossing in.

prizby
04-24-2011, 05:21 PM
right and who would you like to see in his place???

yesterday, Doniel Henry was the only other available CB

Number Nine
04-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Though you have some valid points, we do not currently have a better option. If that CB shows up in the summer, and he is a better option than Cann, then I'm all for replacing him. But, until that occurs, I will stand behind him and give praise and criticism where its due.

Darlofletch
04-24-2011, 06:29 PM
A bit harsh, especially for the dc goal where he was injured on the play which is why he didn't mark their player.

yesterday's game renteria gave him a bit of a shove to get the bit of space he needed. great centre forward play, and also probably due to cann's injury that he was able to get outmuscled.

he's by no means perfect, but he's a decent if unspectacular mls level defender, we've got a lot more pressing concerns on the team right now than cann.

J .
04-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Im more concerned with Nana than Cann.

Cann can head the ball, but he is rather weak when being run at. He's ok. He is a lot better when someone sits right in front of Cann so a player can get a free move against him which was why he looked so strong last season.

Nana has just been horrible all season.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Least of our worries right now!

Walms
04-24-2011, 10:29 PM
He has Improved a Lot in Winters system, and Ive seen him get better and better each game. We cant Expect him to stop every ball coming in, and the times he is there to save us Far outweighs his mistaks... I Think the guy is a great asset to the reds

TFCRegina
04-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Not impressed with the defense either but it's always been this way. I saw some positives last game and am willing to believe had an 11th man been out there, the game would have flowed in a different way and that free kick never would have happened.

DichioTFC
04-25-2011, 02:31 AM
i dont think the problem is Cann per se, but more the lack of backline chemistry. Every week we've had a different backline combination. Playing beside Harden or Gargan also has an impact (making up for their mistakes / lack of coverage).

Still, Cann should've won the header that led to Columbus' goal. That being said, Frei shouldn't have cheated so far to his left. And also, Gargan should've been back defending the back post. We're not playing a team-oriented defensive system at the moment. Here's hoping it will improve as the players familiarize themselves with each other.

Can't wait to see Eckersley start at RB soon, I'm sure he'll be a huge upgrade.

James17930
04-25-2011, 03:09 AM
And besides, it's not like we're never going to get scored on; think about all the goals not allowed because of what Cann has done.

Even the best CBs in the world make mistakes or get beaten by good play sometimes, which why you almost never have undefeated teams.

C.Ronaldo
04-25-2011, 08:12 AM
cann is a terrible athlete.

if not for his height he would have nothing

he cant run, he cant pass, he cant kick and mix that with running and kicking, he gets worse.

i spent a good amount of time watching his biomechanics, and he has no sense of balance.
Every play seems like he is about to fall over.

when he passes, his body is on a 45 degree angle, which means he slips alot and cant get behind the ball well.

I don't know how he got through the system, but he wouldn't make a house league if not for his size

Gazza
04-25-2011, 08:18 AM
He's a terrible defender, but like most have said, "what are you gonna do?" Hopefully Eckersley can compliment him or at least mask some of his glaring mistakes.

Oldtimer
04-25-2011, 09:46 AM
By MLS standards he's not great, but not bad either.

cochrdoc
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Cann is an averaoe defender who alot of people rate as very good.Our central defence needs to get better.I hope Dicoy works out.And it is time to put Gargon on waivers and get Eck in there.WE seem to have depth with danleigh and Youras at LB.Our defence has been poor for years and our goals against shows it

spark
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
You're only as good as the players around you and right now IMO Cann does not get much support.

The extreme critiques are a really over the top. Terrible? Without height he'd have nothing? I'd love to see how people rate the other 30 or so defenders who've come through our team and where he stacks up with them.

Dbl_D
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
whats with all the negative vibes... why isn't there a thread saying I hope the guys keep moving forward; keep what we have for now and let them gel... there is finally some hope / semblance of soccer being played on the field but this city is all about bashing the crap out of anyone... no wonder the pressure gets to these guys... crap cann makes no more than plently of u guys out there but has to be out there day after day... if you had the comments made about you for the dollars you make you'd quit your job and hide in a hole...

the Toronto want it all now mentality lead us to trader moe and where we stand right now...

C.Ronaldo
04-25-2011, 01:31 PM
^ because you cant teach these guys at this age how to run and pass.

Cann will not get any better, you cant teach those basics at this stage in his career.

its not poor soccer IQ or that he crashes under pressure. He simply cannot run and/or pass.

he has strength and height, and even knows how to play the angles well. But my God he is bad with the ball.