PDA

View Full Version : TV ratings

TFC07
04-23-2011, 01:23 PM
How is TFC doing on TV compare to Vancouver so far? I can't find TFC's TV ratings besides their first 2 games.

Nestease
04-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Vancouver games have been on basic cable. TFC games have been on that black hole GOLTV. It's easier to watch Vancouver games in Toronto than actual TFC games. Even if you found ratings, I don't know how you'd be able to compare them due to accessibility.

Alixir
04-23-2011, 02:32 PM
at least with Vancouver you can watch the games in HD. I love spending a couple thousand on a TV so I can watch in standard def...one more thing that the mlse brass fail at.

boban
04-23-2011, 02:34 PM
It's easier to watch Vancouver games in Toronto than actual TFC games.
This. Oh the irony of of that statement. LMAO

TFC07
04-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Vancouver games have been on basic cable. TFC games have been on that black hole GOLTV. It's easier to watch Vancouver games in Toronto than actual TFC games. Even if you found ratings, I don't know how you'd be able to compare them due to accessibility.

True...I wonder if TFC is even getting 20,000 viewers on goltv.

LittleOzzy
04-23-2011, 08:37 PM
As a TFC fan I have watched every Vancouver game this season, and just two TFC games. Sad really...

drexel10
04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
As much as we are compaining aout GolTV, tonight will be the 4th MLS game in 3 days. I like am liking the coverage!

cmonyoureds
04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Last time I searched for a TFC game that was on GolTV I ended up watching the Jays game for "free" instead.
During that game I saw banner adds running showcasing how cheap tickets were for a day out with the family. Now I'm planning a couple trips to Skydome/whatever they call it now.

Sadly, MLSE probably won't see what's happened here.

kodiakTFC
04-25-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't control the cable in my house and it would be too much of a hassle so I just ordered the Match Day Live. Loving MDL this season but sad I have to resort to my computer for away games.

I feel like TFC on GolTV is temporary, despite it being MLSE's station. They can't be stubborn enough to think the 10,000 people who watch each game is good enough when they get 200k on CBC/TSN and 50-60 on RSN. I'd bet we see atleast the majority of TFC games on RSN next year.

Maltese Falcon
04-25-2011, 11:45 PM
The problem with GolTV, at least with bell satellite is this: its $10.00 a month more for me for a package that includes Gol, Wild Tv, world fishing netowrk and the fight network...Considering Gol is the only channel that remotely interests me its a waste, especially for the 4 or 5 TFC games ill have to watch online for not having Gol.

Maltese Falcon
04-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Its like leafs tv, I'm sure it be nice to have, but the extra whatever it costs a month to see the odd game isn't worth it. There shouldn't be premiums to watch shit teams play...If they don't turn around this franchise MLSE is going to have to eventually black out the games to get people into BMO Field...just stupid to have a premium channel showing them at this stage of their existence

Brooker
04-26-2011, 12:31 AM
The problem with GolTV, at least with bell satellite is this: its $10.00 a month more for me for a package that includes Gol, Wild Tv, world fishing netowrk and the fight network...Considering Gol is the only channel that remotely interests me its a waste, especially for the 4 or 5 TFC games ill have to watch online for not having Gol.

10 dollars a month? That's Bell fucking you over, not the channel. No package needed for me so it's dirt cheap.

Its like leafs tv, I'm sure it be nice to have, but the extra whatever it costs a month to see the odd game isn't worth it.

That's not really fair. I have them both and GOLTV is nothing like LeafsTV. GOLTV actually offers a lot of worth while games and programs...
LeafsTV on the other hand is like you say, good to see the odd game. Two completely different channels.

kodiakTFC
04-26-2011, 12:56 AM
That's not really fair. I have them both and GOLTV is nothing like LeafsTV. GOLTV actually offers a lot of worth while games and programs...
LeafsTV on the other hand is like you say, good to see the odd game. Two completely different channels.

I've had GolTv in the past and its great if you like follow La Liga and/or Bundesliga. Even then though you have to be all right with brutal commentary.

__wowza
04-26-2011, 08:43 AM
i've only seen two games on TV all season.
i miss when CBC broadcasted them :(

you would see the game, post game interviews, and possibly even a presser. if you didnt see the presser, they'd tell you to go to their website, keep promoting the link and you could hop over there when they went off the air.

bones
04-26-2011, 08:51 AM
10 dollars a month? That's Bell fucking you over, not the channel.

Packaging is not set by the distributor, it's done by request by the distributor to make things available BUT the CRTC says yes or no. I just had this very argument with Rogers about why TSN isn't available in ANY of the Sports packages they offer. Can you believe it, TSN the original, nope, can't get it in HD without buying one of their "variety" packs or some shit. I was livid that the self proclaimed #1 sports channel in the country ISN'T available in ANY HD sports package...took it as high as I could and the answer was no, because the CRTC won't allow it.

But we're off topic now.

Bones...

menefreghista
04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm fairly certain Gol TV doesn't even get rated by the people who provide TV ratings in Canada.

I actually don't have a problem with TFC putting games on Gol TV. I understand why they would want to. I just think that have 21 games is too many for a club still looking to grow its fanbase.

The one good thing about tomorrow's game is that most TFC fans will actually be able to see it, thanks to the fact that its on Sportsnet.

Dreadlocks
04-26-2011, 09:00 AM
GolTV on Bell may cost more because of the package thing but overall Bell is cheaper than Rogers for TV. I pay about $85/month and get pretty much every sports channel in SD and HD (including GolHD channel 1412 but it is never used).

ManUtd4ever
04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
At less than 3 dollars a month (Rogers), GolTV is a tremendous bargain with TFC and all the additional MLS coverage provided on the network. My only complaint is the lack of HD broadcasts.

Fort York Redcoat
04-26-2011, 09:02 AM
I barely notice the difference between the different stations presentations. We're all down the pub offering up our own commentary.:cuss:

ensco
04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
At less than 3 dollars a month (Rogers), GolTV is a tremendous bargain with TFC and all the additional MLS coverage provided on the network. My only complaint is the lack of HD broadcasts.

Agree. Love seeing broadcasts of other games. With Vancouver on Sportsnet every weekend, it finally feels like you can be a fan of this league.

I am still totally mystified by the business decision to start almost all of the TFC home games at 7pm during the hockey playoffs. I don't know what others have found, but I have found that start time to be a real negative in terms of selling seats I can't use (the terrible spring doesn't help, but the weather here is never that great in April), yet I don't see the TV case for it at all.

menefreghista
04-26-2011, 11:26 AM
I am still totally mystified by the business decision to start almost all of the TFC home games at 7pm during the hockey playoffs. This has proven to be a real negative in terms of selling seats I can't use, yet I don't see the TV case for it at all.

Part of it has do with the fact that Gol TV won't pre-empt German and Spanish coverage on a Saturday afternoon for a TFC game.

Whoop
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
I prefer the later starts myself, but really it's simple if TFC is smart.

Early in the season, especially in Canada, in competition with the NHL playoffs, have the games in the afternoon and then in the summer (and when the weather is nicer) have the games in the evening.

But I'm not complaining, even though I'm a hockey fan, I still prefer evening games.

ensco
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Part of it has do with the fact that Gol TV won't pre-empt German and Spanish coverage on a Saturday afternoon for a TFC game.

Hadn't thought of that. Good point. Feels a bit like the tail wagging the dog from an MLSE perspective, though.

menefreghista
04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Early in the season, especially in Canada, in competition with the NHL playoffs, have the games in the afternoon and then in the summer (and when the weather is nicer) have the games in the evening.

This really would be the optimal situation.

Of course that would mean Gol TV giving up games in April and May, which they don't seem to want to do.

CanadaLFC
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I've had GolTv in the past and its great if you like follow La Liga and/or Bundesliga. Even then though you have to be all right with brutal commentary.

Cmon...I watch some games for Ray Hudson alone. He's good if you need a laugh!

cmonyoureds
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM

Wonder what they'll do May 28th? Biggest day on club calendar in Europe and TFC with a home date......

Torontotonto
04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
I thought MLSE was trying to grow interest in the game.
Not a great way after 4 years of shit.

Leafs are one thing with 1000's of viewers across Canada and the world.
TFC is new, I don't have GolTV and I'm sure there's many more, it's even hard to find a pub around the east end that has Gol, I know of only 2 around the beaches area.

I thought CBC did a decent job the last 4 years.

MLSE = Fail

:rant:

menefreghista
04-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Wonder what they'll do May 28th? Biggest day on club calendar in Europe and TFC with a home date......

Well this year they did the sensible thing and didn't schedule TFC against the Champions League final.

swan
04-27-2011, 05:26 AM
there is a lot of people defending that it is on gol tv but when "It's easier to watch Vancouver games in Toronto than actual TFC games" something is wrong...

it should be on a channel that is "easy" for people to watch/stumble on..

for people that have been bitching that tfc are rapping them with ticket prices is just seems weird to me that they don't mind paying more( even though it's not to much) just to watch the team on tv more then the have to..

Don Julio
04-27-2011, 09:25 AM
I understand the complaints, especially the HD ones, but I can't imagine why a fan of football wouldn't have GolTV?

Dreadlocks
04-27-2011, 09:31 AM
I understand the complaints, especially the HD ones, but I can't imagine why a fan of football wouldn't have GolTV?

Agreed!

TFC07
04-27-2011, 02:17 PM

What? GolTV is low quality soccer channel. Not everyone in Canada watches South American, Spanish and German league games.

Also, why should TFC fans have to go through everything to just watch their team play? The fact I have watch more Whitecap games on TV than my hometown team on my local channel says a lot.

Screw ML$E! I hope they're losing money on GolTV. I am sure their sponsors aren't going to be thrilled with TFC's TV ratings.

Wull
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
I'd pay the extra just to watch Barca every week, anything else is a bonus!

drexel10
04-28-2011, 08:26 AM
I'd pay the extra just to watch Barca every week, anything else is a bonus!

100% agreed. Now that they are showing more MLS games as well is a real bonus. Not thrilled that we are on GolTV, but yesterday afyternoon I had much more hate for Setanta