PDA

View Full Version : Mullen's tackle on Zakuani

nimamalek
04-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Anyone see this game live and get a better angle on the tackle. From the original video it looks like it might have been a little high but not really dirty, but I cant get a good view of it. Not sure if it was actually malicious maybe more unfortunate because of the injury.

bman27
04-22-2011, 11:54 PM
just saw a video of it, he didn't need to go to ground on the play and he did purely as retaliation for not getting the call, unfortuinitly he hit him just right and ouch...... what a horrible sound when contact is made

bman27
04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
if anyone who hasn't veiwed the tackle here you go: http://youtu.be/nYgaIPUqLSM

nimamalek
04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
looks very similar to Nigel De Jong on Ben Arfa

Oblio2
04-23-2011, 12:02 AM
I just watched it like, 20 times and dont think it was a bad tackle.....

nimamalek
04-23-2011, 12:06 AM

Just saw slow motion of it. You can see Mullen get upset at not getting the call and go in hard, not sure if it was a "bad" tackle but it was definitely hard and very high. Look at where his back leg makes contact with Zakuani's. No reason why he should make contact that high if he's trying to win the ball on the ground.

Its very hard to see with the video that's on the MLS site

werewolf
04-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Fractured right fibula and tibia for Zakuani.

It was high, late, and the intent was there. He will get quite a few games I think.

Heathen
04-23-2011, 12:23 AM
You know what always strikes me when a player has their leg broken is how their team mates are more interested in the offender getting the red card than their colleagues well being.
When Aaron Ramsey broke his leg Glenn Whelan from Stoke was the one comforting him telling him to stay still while all the other Arsenal players surrounded the ref.
I think Mullen deserved the red but after that really there's no way he could've stayed on the field even if it was a legal tackle. The way Zakuani goes flying through the air and you see this knee suddenly somewhere it shouldn't be :yikes:

Oblio2
04-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Fractured right fibula and tibia for Zakuani.

It was high, late, and the intent was there. He will get quite a few games I think.

You know what his intent was?

Couchy81
04-23-2011, 12:46 AM
looks like a bad tackle to me, wether it was intent to injure we wont know but it looks like he was looking to foul for sure

werewolf
04-23-2011, 12:47 AM
yup, absolutely. My powers have extended, usually I had to be in the presence of someone else to read there mind, but now I can telepathically decipher the brain waves through television as the satellite picks up that information as well and transfers it to me.

prizby
04-23-2011, 12:54 AM
i'd like to see a close up replay...looked like he was going for the ball and zakuani's foot beat him to it

Oblio2
04-23-2011, 01:01 AM
yup, absolutely. My powers have extended, usually I had to be in the presence of someone else to read there mind, but now I can telepathically decipher the brain waves through television as the satellite picks up that information as well and transfers it to me.

LOL
Fair Enough

Alonso
04-23-2011, 01:11 AM
I saw it live and to me it was a pretty reckless tackle. There was no way he could of thought he was going to beat Zakuani to the spot. Zakuani was on the ball and had total control of it, there is no way anyone should make a studs up challenge on that. He should be heavily fined and suspended imo.

Thats so brutal to watch, my leg hurts just watching it.

dupont
04-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Pretty gross... I dont think he meant to do something so bad... but he did so I guess he'll get the punishment handed to him

werewolf
04-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Steve Zakauni will score a goal #beforetfcmaketheplayoffs

(Sent Zakauni well-wishes of a speedy recovery)

zeelaw
04-23-2011, 01:57 AM
That sound is awful...

CBTFC
04-23-2011, 08:06 AM
It wasn't so much reckless (i.e. a tackle with no control over your own body), but more a deliberate intent to go in HARD.

Pretty clear that he was upset he didn't get the call, so he takes a good few strides right into Zakuani's leg.

Hope the league sends a clear message with a suspension/fines.

2mil4dero+santo
04-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Anyone see this game live and get a better angle on the tackle. From the original video it looks like it might have been a little high but not really dirty, but I cant get a good view of it. Not sure if it was actually malicious maybe more unfortunate because of the injury.

First of all, I'm not even sure what you're asking here. You don't need to see it live or see replays to figure out this is a blatant red card.

Secondly, anyone who wonders whether or not this is a red doesn't know the game or is a newby to soccer....

Mark TFC
04-23-2011, 08:29 AM
I watched the first half of the game last night before passing out like a baby. That tackle was bad, no matter how you look at it. I couldn't watch the replay after it happened, just looked and sounded horrible.

Phil
04-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Its not really news guys.

v00d00daddy
04-23-2011, 09:50 AM
if anyone who hasn't veiwed the tackle here you go: http://youtu.be/nYgaIPUqLSM

I hope Mullen can't sleep at night.

How high the tackle is has nothing to do with anything.

Mullen was upset that he didnt get the call and he looked to put a hard tackle on the first opponent he saw.

He basically torpedoed (in reverse) at Zakuanis lower body.
He was tackling through his body. The end result is brutal.

That's a situation where I would prefer Mullen stay on the field. If I were a sounders player I would write off the rest of my season in suspension to end mulleins career....because that could well be Zakuanis fate. Mullen deserves a nice studs up tackle to the patella. Torn acl and mcl should be in his future.

That shit is not football.

Oblio...I'll never play a game against you. Hahahaha

TorCanSoc
04-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Mother father. I watched the game last night, and it was bad. They only showed it once, because man o man it'll give you heebie jeebies if you're squeemish about this stuff.

His leg snapped like a twig. Colorado guys were concerned about Zakuani as well. I can't believe as he was being stretchered off, he gave the thumbs up to his travelling fans. Wow. His season is over, and watching that leg flail like a twig I would have said his career is done.

deltox
04-23-2011, 10:05 AM
http://coltv.neulion.com/mlsvp/console.jsp?catid=2061&id=14004

"its a tackle that ive done a hundred times and ill probably do it again"

Mark TFC
04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
How high the tackle is has nothing to do with anything.

Mullen was upset that he didnt get the call and he looked to put a hard tackle on the first opponent he saw.

Agreed, agreed 100%. That's my take on the situation. It's been pointed out several times, and it's true.

Kooper
04-23-2011, 10:56 AM

I am not sure how you break someone's tibia and fibula in a fair tackle. It takes a lot of force directed away from the ball to break both bones.

habstfc
04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
His leg snapped like a twig. Colorado guys were concerned about Zakuani as well. I can't believe as he was being stretchered off, he gave the thumbs up to his travelling fans. Wow. HIS SEASON IS OVER,

His career may be over.

TorontoGooner
04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
He knew what he was doing. How anyone can say it's a fair tackle baffles me. I broke my leg in a tackle like that, having just mouthed off at the bloke. I was 16 and having trials for Southend United, so I've never mouthed off since!!

The fact that Mullen shows no remorse disgusts me further. He should face the full force of the disciplinary board (which he won't).

Sorry gents, but this is football. Over-aggression may be common practice or acceptable in other sports doesn't mean it should be allowed in our game.

nimamalek
04-23-2011, 11:55 AM
First of all, I'm not even sure what you're asking here. You don't need to see it live or see replays to figure out this is a blatant red card.

Secondly, anyone who wonders whether or not this is a red doesn't know the game or is a newby to soccer....

thanks for clearing that up for me newb

Carts
04-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Just watched it, straight red, in person hearing, and suspension in my opinion...

ag futbol
04-23-2011, 12:24 PM
It's very much a bull in the china shop routine.

Sure you "don't mean to break anything" but if you keep playing in that kind of manner something is bound to happen. That's why i find a lot of arguments about intent when it comes to these types of things are indigenousness.

Simply crap that has no place in the game.

QSIM
04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
He knew what he was doing. How anyone can say it's a fair tackle baffles me. I broke my leg in a tackle like that, having just mouthed off at the bloke. I was 16 and having trials for Southend United, so I've never mouthed off since!!

The fact that Mullen shows no remorse disgusts me further. He should face the full force of the disciplinary board (which he won't).

Sorry gents, but this is football. Over-aggression may be common practice or acceptable in other sports doesn't mean it should be allowed in our game.

I think Mullen was in shock more than anything. You also have to feel bad for him in this case. If you watch his post-game interview he's still baffled and can barely speak.

He jumped into the tackle at 100% and when you do that and get it wrong, even fractionally wrong - something horrific MAY happen. I feel bad for the both of them, I personally don't think there was any malice involved.

Stryker
04-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Mullen showed himself to be a douchebag a number of times when TFC played Houston.
This doesn't surprise me at all.