PDA

View Full Version : Real Salt Lake in the Concacaf Champions League

Roogsy
04-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Great article on their rise from the dregs of MLS.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/04/20/rsl/index.html

What do people think are the chances of RSL making it to the FIFA Club World Cup?

I am hoping they do and give MLS a taste of the world stage so they stop pussyfooting around the things that are holding this league back, like an overly-restrictive salary cap.

Roogsy
04-20-2011, 01:55 PM
And I guess the question to ask is: Despite the hullbaloo about NY and it's collection of stars...is RSL the favourite to take the Supporters Shield or MLS Cup this year with the level of depth they have?

Nodoubtguy
04-20-2011, 01:59 PM
its 34-game home unbeaten run in all competitions may well be the longest in the world after Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk recently ended its 55-game streak.

impressive as hell

Roogsy
04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
I know these "feel-good" articles always gloss over the tough times...and we all know there were tough times at RSL. But man do I feel the green tinge of envy when I read Checketts talk about how he runs his club and how Kreis landed some of the best surprises in MLS in the past few years with his Latin-American signings.

I mentioned in another thread about how I guarantee you right now the lockerroom at RSL is humming with positivity, the article seems to point to that.

dupont
04-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Real Salt Lake is a true powerhouse. Their record last season was incredible. They have opened this season 4-0 so far. Then to top it all off and prove it's not just luck, they are in the Champions League finals.
They are the only team I am jealous of.

Whoop
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
RSL is, hands down, the favourite to win everything in MLS this year.

ExiledRed
04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Great article on their rise from the dregs of MLS.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/04/20/rsl/index.html

What do people think are the chances of RSL making it to the FIFA Club World Cup?

I am hoping they do and give MLS a taste of the world stage so they stop pussyfooting around the things that are holding this league back, like an overly-restrictive salary cap.

I think if RSL lose the CL, it makes a better case for ridding us of the salary cap than if RSL takes it in spite of the restrictions.

Getting to the club World Cup with a capped team could create the illusion that 'its not about how much you spend, its about determination, hard work (and altitude)

CBTFC
04-20-2011, 02:17 PM
It's a shame that the league continues to hype/prop up NY & LA when it's clear that RSL are setting the bar.

They make a fine rep for MLS.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
and yet they didnt do it in 2 months.
Definitely something to push for as supporters and definitely something the club should be moving towards.
I hope they do well in the CL, they sure as hell are fun to watch. Should be interesting to see if their academy a) produces players and b) produces players that fit into their system.

Roogsy
04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
I think if RSL lose the CL, it makes a better case for ridding us of the salary cap than if RSL takes it in spite of the restrictions.

Getting to the club World Cup with a capped team could create the illusion that 'its not about how much you spend, its about determination, hard work (and altitude)

Hmmm...good point.

Now I am conflicted.

Roogsy
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
and yet they didnt do it in 2 months.

And they didn't do it through the academy...

Yohan
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
And I guess the question to ask is: Despite the hullbaloo about NY and it's collection of stars...is RSL the favourite to take the Supporters Shield or MLS Cup this year with the level of depth they have?
yes. simply because of consistency, and they have more depth

Ossington Mental Youth
04-20-2011, 02:55 PM
And they didn't do it through the academy...

nope, dont think anyone will be building through their academy for a long while, itll be cool to see who does first and how they do it (as well as the success they have). Dallas seems to have signed quite a few players but obviously they arent all first team etc.

BS1327
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I hope RSL do well for the league.

I think it is funny that they won't take part in the competition this year with Colorado, Dallas, LA and Seattle taking up the US Spots this year

mastermixer
04-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Very envious of the team, the ownership and the positive press they are getting right now.

LittleOzzy
04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I hope RSL do well for the league.

I think it is funny that they won't take part in the competition this year with Colorado, Dallas, LA and Seattle taking up the US Spots this year

Yeah, it's weird that the champion is not invited back to defend their title. That is if RSL wins...

CretanBull
04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Very envious of the team, the ownership and the positive press they are getting right now.

....and their cheap season ticket prices.

Roogsy
04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
....and their cheap season ticket prices.

:lol:

And shiny new (roofed) stadium!

rocker
04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
and still not selling out the stadium ... :(

i hope the city starts getting behind the team more by coming out.

TorCanSoc
04-20-2011, 04:42 PM

This just in! If RSL wins the CCL, MLS will amend the DP status to lower the salary cap hit down to $5,000. Thus allowing RSL and other teams to sign DPs without compromising the rest of the team. On this note RSL choose to sign MISTA, DeRo, and Eric "Red Card" Haasli !!!

Just kidding around, but I can see some rules being bent if they win this thing. The last thing MLS wants is a shellacking by the Asian club champion.

But first step's first. Monteray at home, lets get some away goals.

Whoop
04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
yes. simply because of consistency, and they have more depth

100% This.

+

OptaJack (http://twitter.com/#%21/OptaJack) OptaJack

1 - Despite having only played four matches so far, Real Salt Lake only have one ever present starter. Grabavoy.

TFCRegina
04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
This just in! If RSL wins the CCL, MLS will amend the DP status to lower the salary cap hit down to $5,000. Thus allowing RSL and other teams to sign DPs without compromising the rest of the team. On this note RSL choose to sign MISTA, DeRo, and Eric "Red Card" Haasli !!!

Just kidding around, but I can see some rules being bent if they win this thing. The last thing MLS wants is a shellacking by the Asian club champion.

But first step's first. Monteray at home, lets get some away goals.

No worries about that, they'll all have been paid to lose and make someone in Singapore a lot of money.

Oldtimer
04-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Cool article. Amazing that a rookie coach could do so well. ;)

match thread for the first leg is here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27736

mastermixer
04-20-2011, 05:39 PM
and still not selling out the stadium ... :(

i hope the city starts getting behind the team more by coming out.

Salt lake city is not toronto. I'd be more concerned that a city of millions of people (NYC, Toronto,) could not pack a stadium more than a tiny city like salt lake.

rocker
04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Cool article. Amazing that a rookie coach could do so well. ;)

Yes, it shows what can be accomplished when you have patience and give a rookie coach and GM time (more than a few months) to build a competitive squad.

The funny thing is, they did a completely unconventional hiring back in 2007. They took a former player, who retired, and installed him immediately as coach after the season had already started.
Then they didn't hire the GM (Lagerway) until near the end of the season. That's typically the reverse way of doing things. And people here talk about how "late" TFC waited to get a coach and GM in place... or how TFC didn't hire people with enough experience in their roles. Well golly gee, it worked for RSL.

Beach_Red
04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Has that deal RSL signed witn Real Madrid done anything beside friendlies?

Oldtimer
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Yes, it shows what can be accomplished when you have patience and give a rookie coach and GM time (more than a few months) to build a competitive squad.

The funny thing is, they did a completely unconventional hiring back in 2007. They took a former player, who retired, and installed him immediately as coach after the season had already started.
Then they didn't hire the GM (Lagerway) until near the end of the season. That's typically the reverse way of doing things. And people here talk about how "late" TFC waited to get a coach and GM in place... or how TFC didn't hire people with enough experience in their roles. Well golly gee, it worked for RSL.

I like this quote:

To hear Dave Checketts tell the story, his fellow owners and MLS commissioner Don Garber thought the Real Salt Lake owner had lost his mind. In 2007, Checketts called Garber and told him he had decided to move the 34-year-old Kreis straight from the playing field into RSL's head coaching position.
"You did what?" Garber replied.
"I think he has every possible characteristic of a great head coach," Checketts said.
"Dave, we have a whole list of people you could interview for that job."
"I know. This is the guy I want."
and also

"I have been around professional sports long enough to know that great coaches have certain characteristics," says Checketts. "Most are guys who were overachievers. Jason was a star in MLS, but I had watched him play for us. He'd play any position he was ever asked. He had always shown up in phenomenal shape and was an extra hard worker. And he had a will to win and never give up."

The funny thing is, we're a team that is in exactly the same place RSL was in 2007, and now we've done the same sort of thing, let's hope it goes as well (or better). It does seem that our new coaches have a "team first" philosophy and aren't particularly interested in getting another DP.

los sonadores
04-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:
[/I]To hear Dave Checketts tell the story, his fellow owners and MLS commissioner Don Garber thought the Real Salt Lake owner had lost his mind. In 2007, Checketts called Garber and told him he had decided to move the 34-year-old Kreis straight from the playing field into RSL's head coaching position.
"I think he has every possible characteristic of a great head coach," Checketts said.
"I know. This is the guy I want."[/I]

That's so MLS with their lousy 'list' and expecting to be consulted. That's what got us Mo.

Beach_Red
04-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Quote:
[/I]To hear Dave Checketts tell the story, his fellow owners and MLS commissioner Don Garber thought the Real Salt Lake owner had lost his mind. In 2007, Checketts called Garber and told him he had decided to move the 34-year-old Kreis straight from the playing field into RSL's head coaching position.
"I know. This is the guy I want."[/I]

That's so MLS with their lousy 'list' and expecting to be consulted. That's what got us Mo.

At least they didn't go back to the MLS "list" but it's also good they didn't do like Checketts and try and pick their own. Things have worked out for him so far so maybe he's a better judge of talent than anyone at MLSE. Better they hired the consultant and let him pick.

Red Rat
04-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I will watch this game.
Maybe is time to move to RSL where the houses are cheap and the girls are prettier

TFCRegina
04-20-2011, 08:08 PM
I will watch this game.
Maybe is time to move to RSL where the houses are cheap and the girls are prettier

We onllllly have one wife!
We onllllllly have one wife!

Auzzy
04-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Interesting, I guess RSL only got their first DP for this season, Alvaro Saborio. Only after they had watched him play in the league & on their team for a season, and were sure he fit in perfectly.

Yohan
04-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Interesting, I guess RSL only got their first DP for this season, Alvaro Saborio. Only after they had watched him play in the league & on their team for a season, and were sure he fit in perfectly.
apparently he's only a DP due to transfer fee RSL paid for him. his salary isn't that big

Auzzy
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
^ Wow, so no long-term commitment to a high salary. Very balanced team. It will be interesting to see RSL's complete salary list for years -- some of the guys must have been bumped up since last year. (Although, after recent info about various players, I wonder how accurate that salary list really is...)

akoto
04-20-2011, 08:41 PM
That was a good read, thank for posting.

RSL really have become the class of the league over the last couple of years.

Mo shouldn't have traded Kreis back to RSL after taking him in the expansion draft. Just think, Mo could have prevented this whole thing from happening.

Oldtimer
04-20-2011, 08:59 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27736

match thread.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-20-2011, 09:23 PM
That was a good read, thank for posting.

RSL really have become the class of the league over the last couple of years.

Mo shouldn't have traded Kreis back to RSL after taking him in the expansion draft. Just think, Mo could have prevented this whole thing from happening.

Wouldn't have mattered mo woulda fucked it up anyways bringing in shit players etc kreis never woulda had the power he needed

Dougrd
04-20-2011, 09:49 PM
What's with gol tv and no commentary?
I just figured out if I watch on concacaf website, they have a good feed and good commentary

Red Rat
04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
it was way better with out, trust me

Red Rat
04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
We onllllly have one wife!
We onllllllly have one wife!

no worries it will be a quick divorce, I am heading down baby!!

rocker
04-20-2011, 11:17 PM
it was way better with out, trust me

hahaha. yeah.. but I kinda miss the unprepared concacaf commentator calling out "great save by TONY ROMANDO!"

James17930
04-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Got to hand it to them, they really stepped up.

They should have it in the bag at Rio Tinto once all the Monterey players start hyperventalating around the 60th min.

TFCRegina
04-21-2011, 01:43 AM
hahaha. yeah.. but I kinda miss the unprepared concacaf commentator calling out "great save by TONY ROMANDO!"

And early on he was called Rimandi!

ensco
04-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Very, very impressive.

It is amazing to think that 18 months ago, that team came to BMO and lost to us in the second last game of the season, and were virtually eliminated from the playoffs.

At the time, it would have seemed a 10,000 to 1 shot, that RSL would (i) get into those playoffs because of an improbable series of losses, (ii) win the Cup, then (iii) be in this position in the ensuing CCL.

boban
04-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Very, very impressive.

It is amazing to think that 18 months ago, that team came to BMO and lost to us in the second last game of the season, and were virtually eliminated from the playoffs.

At the time, it would have seemed a 10,000 to 1 shot, that RSL would (i) get into those playoffs because of an improbable series of losses, (ii) win the Cup, then (iii) be in this position in the ensuing CCL.
Kinda gives us hope here eh?

Detroit_TFC
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Getting two away goals in front of 35,000 Monterrey fans is quite an achievement.

Oldtimer
04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
ESPN article:

Successfully navigating the away leg of a two-game series is often about survival combined with a few moments of inspiration. On Wednesday night, Real Salt Lake concocted precisely that recipe when Javier Morales (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/105868/Javier-Morales) scored an equalizer in the 89th minute to salvage a 2-2 draw against Monterrey in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League final. Now RSL is just 90 minutes away from claiming continental supremacy.
"This is the stuff that dreams are made of, the opportunity to raise this kind of trophy and be the best team in the region," Real Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis said through a team spokesman. "It's been a fair tournament, and if we can win or get a 0-0 or 1-1 draw next week we can count ourselves as the best team in this region. It would be simply fantastic and amazing to raise the trophy in front of our home crowd."

more: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/columnist/carlisle_jeff/id/6401439/real-salt-lake-getting-close-champions-league-glory

Roogsy
04-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Don't get ahead of yourselves RSL. Monterrey is fully capable of going in there and stealing the win.

James17930
04-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Don't get ahead of yourselves RSL. Monterrey is fully capable of going in there and stealing the win.

Do away goals count in this?

kodiakTFC
04-22-2011, 04:43 AM
Do away goals count in this?

I checked. They do.

TFCDP
04-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Was checking mls rumors:D and saw RSL is ranked 22nd in the world rankings.. Take it for what it's worth... Very cool to see... Ahead of teams like Lyon and Shalke though?

TorCanSoc
04-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Wow. Listening to extra time radio off the MLS site. I'm getting stoked for RSL. Gotta watch two games of footie on Wednesday.

Oldtimer
04-26-2011, 07:48 AM
In what is mostly a lame MLS-produced video for pumping up the match, there is a good interview with team owner Dave Checketts.

vTYzrUeOVZ8&feature=player_embedded

The interview starts at 6:19 and goes to the end.

Here's an article on how they will handle Beckerman being suspended:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/51682463-77/beckerman-midfielder-kyle-monterrey.html.csp

Beach_Red
04-26-2011, 08:22 AM
In what is mostly a lame MLS-produced video for pumping up the match, there is a good interview with team owner Dave Checketts.

The interview starts at 6:19 and goes to the end.

Yes, good interview, thanks for posting.

TorCanSoc
04-27-2011, 02:18 PM
This is huge, I think a game changer on the world's stage.. if RSL wins. Some of the reporters are calling this the same level as the 1980 U.S. hockey Olympic Gold. A truly epic and historic moment for sure. The gravity of this game, in my opinion, is as big as when the CMNT went to the world cup in 86. We're still talking about that 25 years later. I think we'll be talking about this game in 2036. I can't wait to watch it unfold. Don't miss it. ... oh and I hope we beat Edmonton. :)

Yohan
04-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Only thing bad about RSL winning CCL is that flaming hippie Beckerman gets to lift the trophy

Gazza_55
04-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Only thing bad about RSL winning CCL is that flaming hippie Beckerman gets to lift the trophy

Nope. He's not playing tonight. Yellow Cards

Yohan
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Nope. He's not playing tonight. Yellow Cards
yeah I know. but he's still going to touch the thing

Oldtimer
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Match thread is here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27824

mdc 77
04-27-2011, 03:38 PM
This is huge, I think a game changer on the world's stage.. if RSL wins. Some of the reporters are calling this the same level as the 1980 U.S. hockey Olympic Gold. A truly epic and historic moment for sure. The gravity of this game, in my opinion, is as big as when the CMNT went to the world cup in 86. We're still talking about that 25 years later. I think we'll be talking about this game in 2036. I can't wait to watch it unfold. Don't miss it. ... oh and I hope we beat Edmonton. :)

RSL winning is important for MLS, but I think you are way overstating the significance. Its not THAT big a deal, not even close.

Yohan
04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
RSL winning is important for MLS, but I think you are way overstating the significance. Its not THAT big a deal, not even close.
More like how much Beckham signing gave MLS credibility, and its effect is seen over the years to improve the quality of the league.

drexel10
04-27-2011, 03:47 PM
If RSL beat Barca or ManU it would be similar to 1980.