PDA

View Full Version : DeRo: in Toronto, I felt like I had to go and contribute [scoring]"

__wowza
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/04/18/2446532/exclusive-dewayne-de-rosario-expresses-happiness-in-being-one-of-

he explains his often selfish ball possession with the messiah complex. at least he's being straight about it. i know we're all tired of the dero chit-chat, but i thought it was an interesting response, make of it what you will.

DangerRed
04-20-2011, 12:52 PM
“It’s nice to be able to focus on just keeping the ball flowing and pick my moments. In Toronto, I felt like I had to go and contribute [scoring] to the team,” said De Rosario exclusively to Goal.com.

“Don’t get me wrong, there will be times where I still make my runs, but now I can be more focused on my position and not take away space from the forwards. Stick to my position, the attacking midfield role, and be patient. Let them make the runs and feed off of it.“

As I said, I couldn't be happier that he's gone because I don't want a team built around a single player. Seems he feels that way too. Good luck in the future, buddy.

ManUtd4ever
04-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Wowza, are you trying to start a scrap or something? :D

__wowza
04-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Wowza, are you trying to start a scrap or something? :D

haha. not even!
it's actually refreshing to hear "i held onto the ball so much because i didnt think anyone else could finish".

:hide:
fuck, now there's 9 members in here. i hope this doesn't turn into one of those threads.

Whoop
04-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Well NYRB has Henry and more importantly, it looks like Rodgers could be even better in the MLS.

Though Tainio has been a beast for NY so far.

Darlofletch
04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Noticed that a couple of days ago, but figured it would just be rehashing old arguments, but now someone else has started it here, why not dive in.

Maybe Dwayne, just maybe, if you had focussed on your position, been patient, kept the ball flowing and not taken space away from the forwards while you were at TFC (your words not mine), things might have eventually worked out better. Good of you to acknowledge what we all knew about your lack of ability to play to a system though, thanks for that!

On the other side though, TFC's last two games have been crying out for a talented, determined and selfish guy to eventually just say fuck it and try to do something on his own haven't they? Sigh.

__wowza
04-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Darlofletch, to be perfectly honest though, who was going to do pick up the slack and shoulder the burden to let dero stick to his creative playmaker role? santos? barrett? white?

santos was on again off again. sometimes he'd score a cracker out of nowhere. sometimes he'd miss a sitter by 5+ yards.

white worked his ass off for the few games we had him in when barrett was injured, but he lost his form.

barrett was too inconsistent to be our traget man.

and.. well..

http://www.jimmatimes.com/Media/4/jpg/2008/7/abdusalam_ibrahim.jpg

the less said about this man the better.

Oldtimer
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
DeRo's gone, period. There is no point mentioning him again (except as an opponent),

Pachuco
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't blame him one bit. Without his goals we would've been DC united last year. No other person has proven they can score consistently on this team. I noticed in his last game with Red Bull he was more reserved. Did exactly as I thought he would play on a team where he doesn't have to take all the burden. NY will be very strong with a humble Dero.

CretanBull
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Rather than criticize DeRo for doing what he felt he had to do while he was here (at least someone was willing to step up) why don't we talk about the obvious...the state of our team is such that the guy who was our best player and leading scorer is now just a complimentary player for another team. He didn't change, his team did...and that speaks volume about the lack of quality on our team during his stay in Toronto.

v00d00daddy
04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Rather than criticize DeRo for doing what he felt he had to do while he was here (at least someone was willing to step up) why don't we talk about the obvious...the state of our team is such that the guy who was our best player and leading scorer is now just a complimentary player for another team. He didn't change, his team did...and that speaks volume about the lack of quality on our team during his stay in Toronto.

Sorry but this IS the obvious.

What he thought he had to do?

He had to listen to his coach and perform his tasks and fulfill his role like a professional does. Not go out and do whatever it was that HE thought was appropriate.

That was my problem with DeRo from day one and I'm glad it's been confirmed out of his own mouth.

He thought he had to do everything.

It showed. His talent made TFC a more talented group of players but his outlook made us a worse TEAM.

Competelty different set of circumstances in NY. Now he's 3rd (maybe even 4th fiddle)...I hope he does well there.

Actually, I don't care how he does but for the sake of my sanity...I hope he does well. LOL

Wish him luck but glad he's gone.

Pookie
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
^ except of course for the one variable that did change this year... his age. He is destined to be a complimentary player one day. Maybe that day came sooner for him than he thought?

Keyman
04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Who is DeRo?

Roogsy
04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
The guy who has by far scored more goals in TFC red than anyone else. Pay attention! :lol:

ExiledRed
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
"It was terrible, I felt I actually had to go and contribute to the team."

er.....what?

denime
04-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Hmmmm, what to do with thread like this?

close it?

no, that would be to easy,

Wait,

I know what to do,I'll back in a minute.

:lurk5::drinking:

Ok carry on,it's very refreshing to have another :deadhorse: thread.

Beach_Red
04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
^ except of course for the one variable that did change this year... his age. He is destined to be a complimentary player one day. Maybe that day came sooner for him than he thought?

If he had stayed here, who would he be complimenting? It's too bad so much of the off season was wasted on the DeRo drama instead of TFC realizing he was getting older and finding a replacement.

Oh well, maybe next year we'll finally use the off season to prepare for the next season.

Sweeper
04-20-2011, 03:12 PM
I wonder if he will be keeping the ball flowing and leaving space for the forwards when he comes back to play in Toronto?

C.Ronaldo
04-20-2011, 03:24 PM
haha. not even!
it's actually refreshing to hear "i held onto the ball so much because i didnt think anyone else could finish".

:hide:
fuck, now there's 9 members in here. i hope this doesn't turn into one of those threads.

NO, he KNEW no one else could finish

CretanBull
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM

He had to listen to his coach and perform his tasks and fulfill his role like a professional does. Not go out and do whatever it was that HE thought was appropriate.

There's never been anything to suggest that his coaches (and teammates) didn't run the offense through him. It's not as if his coaches have told him one thing and he's done another.

Pachuco
04-20-2011, 03:56 PM

Are you trying to say that he's now a complimentary player because the one variable that changed is his age? Just trying to figure out what you are saying here.

Pachuco
04-20-2011, 03:58 PM

That was my problem with DeRo from day one and I'm glad it's been confirmed out of his own mouth.

It showed. His talent made TFC a more talented group of players but his outlook made us a worse TEAM.

Competelty different set of circumstances in NY. Now he's 3rd (maybe even 4th fiddle)...I hope he does well there.

Actually, I don't care how he does but for the sake of my sanity...I hope he does well. LOL

Pretty sure if he consistently disobeyed Preki, Cummins and Carver's orders one of them would've benched him at some point. Meaning, I think you are way off on this one.

Whoop
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Those guys wouldn't have had the balls to bench DeRo.

Pachuco
04-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Right, but Preki had balls to bench our million dollar player for staying up late.

They all secretly hated Dero, but they played him any chance they had. Sorry, not buying it.

v00d00daddy
04-20-2011, 04:15 PM
There's never been anything to suggest that his coaches (and teammates) didn't run the offense through him. It's not as if his coaches have told him one thing and he's done another.

Preki interview after being fired. Commented on the "canadians".
Who do you think he was talking about.

Winter this year. Interview with Sharman. Almost came right out and said what I said. He was talking about DeRo then, in the next breath, he said that, to be successful and be part of a good TEAM, you have to complete your tasks on the field and follow rules.

Pretty sure if he consistently disobeyed Preki, Cummins and Carver's orders one of them would've benched him at some point. Meaning, I think you are way off on this one.

See my point above and Whoopees point below.

Right, but Preki had balls to bench our million dollar player for staying up late.

They all secretly hated Dero, but they played him any chance they had. Sorry, not buying it.

Winter is the first coach that had the balls to call a spade a spade.

Good player talent wise but just not enough. That's my take on it.

Whoop
04-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Preki wanted to get rid of DeRo at the beginning of last season was told that he couldn't.

Pachuco
04-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Winter is the first coach that had the balls to call a spade a spade.

Good player talent wise but just not enough. That's my take on it.

Sorry but Winter wanted to keep Dero. That much he said many times. Very talented player who he wished would've stayed with us (in his own words). Winter did nothing different then any other coach when it came to Dero. Even worst, he kept him as the captain of the team after he pulled the Celtic thing.

I don't think your point has any vadility at all. There is no evidence at all to suggest it.

v00d00daddy
04-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Sorry but Winter wanted to keep Dero. That much he said many times. Very talented player who he wished would've stayed with us (in his own words). Winter did nothing different then any other coach when it came to Dero. Even worst, he kept him as the captain of the team after he pulled the Celtic thing.

I don't think your point has any vadility at all. There is no evidence at all to suggest it.

Yes...Winter wanted to keep DeRo IF he was willing to be a team player.

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/03/23/1-on-1-with-tfc-boss-aron-winter/

Watch from 7:00 or so on. He talks about Messi and teammates making each other better. Then....."the team makes the individual"

DeRo didn't see it that way. His words said as much. He felt that he WAS the team.

He goes on to talk about JDG and gives a glowing endorsement of the guy. A guy who has undoubtedly been a disappointment on the field. Especially in comparison to DeRo. DeRo gets no such endorsement.

Then they talk about the contract squabbles of Cann and DeRo and again Winter stresses the need to follow his rules. He's happy when players under contract play with the team. (backhanded shot at DeRo and Cann)

Then he says it. Nobody's bigger than the club.

It's obvious he's talking about DeRo (and Cann for that matter).

So tell me again how Winter was convincingly pleased with DeRo?

He played it diplomatically but I think it's pretty clear.

Winter thought DeRo was a great player that would be a great part of the team IF he conformed to the rules.

DeRo was either not interested in doing so or (and my personal choice) he was incapable of doing it with TFC. His ego (playing second fiddle to JDG and Mista in money) made him go out and prove that he was worth more.

"Must score, Must score. Must show team I'm the best they got and should be paid as such"

Unfortunately his mindset should have been.

"Must score, Must make teammates better. Must help team win."

Like I said....Incapable of such behaviour on the pitch.

Winter's famous words "We are rebuilding a new system...if he wants to be a part of it, it starts with a team. Act like a team player. Then what the future is going to bring you....then we'll see in the future"

Pachuco...if the evidence you require is Winter saying "I didn't want DeRo"...well that doesn't exist (that I know of at least)....but there is evidence to suggest that my opinion is not out of left field.

Disagree if you like...it's certainly not a cut and dry opinion I'm giving...but to suggest that it has no merit is wrong. As evidence above.

(Just one guys opinion and not a personal attack on the man or any of his supporters.):)

CretanBull
04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
^ And yet now he's happy to make less than Henry, Marquez and play second fiddle to them? Like I said above, DeRo didn't change - his team did.

v00d00daddy
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
^ And yet now he's happy to make less than Henry, Marquez and play second fiddle to them? Like I said above, DeRo didn't change - his team did.

Yes...because he has no choice.

There is not a football pundit on the planet that would rate DeRo above those two guys. If he came out and demanded to be paid more than them somebody would quite literally laugh in his face.

Roogsy
04-20-2011, 05:03 PM

There is not a football pundit on the planet that would rate DeRo above those two guys. If he came out and demanded to be paid more than them somebody would quite literally laugh in his face.

So did he play better than Mista?

menefreghista
04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Preki interview after being fired. Commented on the "canadians".
Who do you think he was talking about.

I always assumed that had more to do with Cochrane and Dasovic and possibly Brennan.

CretanBull
04-20-2011, 05:05 PM

You're touching on my point. If DeRo was a greedy ego maniac he'd still want what he supposedly thinks that he's worth. If he was who people have accused him of being, if he thought that he was worth $1 million with us he'd still think that he was worth that now.

What he wanted was to be treated (and compensated) fairly. When he clearly was number one and had to carry the team on his back while also being the public face of the franchise he wanted to be paid accordingly. Now that he's not, he doesn't expect that pay.

I can't imagine any person at any job thinking or doing anything different than what DeRo did. If I was the number one employee at a company and shouldered most of the burdens, I'd expect to be the highest paid employee too. If I ended up at another firm where I wasn't number one any more, I wouldn't expect to be paid as number one - unless I was a greddy "me, me, me" person with a super ego, then I'd still want what I was worth at my old company. DeRo hasn't done that, but that's the "MeRo" person that he has been accused of being. In reality, he did what any one on of us would do and expected what any one of us would expect.

v00d00daddy
04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
So did he play better than Mista?

Yes....but what does Mista have to do with where DeRo ranks against Henry and Marquez?

v00d00daddy
04-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I always assumed that had more to do with Cochrane and Dasovic and possibly Brennan.

Could be. He could have meant all the Canadians at the club but I thought it was in reponse to comments made by JDG and DeRo after he was fired.

I could have that wrong though.

v00d00daddy
04-20-2011, 05:13 PM
You're touching on my point. If DeRo was a greedy ego maniac he'd still want what he supposedly thinks that he's worth. If he was who people have accused him of being, if he thought that he was worth $1 million with us he'd still think that he was worth that now.

What he wanted was to be treated (and compensated) fairly. When he clearly was number one and had to carry the team on his back while also being the public face of the franchise he wanted to be paid accordingly. Now that he's not, he doesn't expect that pay.

I can't imagine any person at any job thinking or doing anything different than what DeRo did. If I was the number one employee at a company and shouldered most of the burdens, I'd expect to be the highest paid employee too. If I ended up at another firm where I wasn't number one any more, I wouldn't expect to be paid as number one - unless I was a greddy "me, me, me" person with a super ego, then I'd still want what I was worth at my old company. DeRo hasn't done that, but that's the "MeRo" person that he has been accused of being. In reality, he did what any one on of us would do and expected what any one of us would expect.

Okay...I see what you're saying now and I don't disagree with the idea that DeRo could be putting the team before himself at NYRB.

Not sure because I haven't seen them play enough to know but it's quite possible.

My point is that he didn't do that here. He felt that he HAD to be the guy when, in all likelihood, TFC might have benefited more by him being a cog in the miachine as opposed to the captain of the ship.

And sorry but No, I would not behave the way he would....regardless of how important I think I am to my company. It's one thing to think you deserve more. It's an entirely different thing to come out and say it for the whole world to hear.

Especially in a team environment.

It was a sign of his character in my eyes.

v00d00daddy
04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
It's fun re-hashing this again. Thanks DeRo :)

And I refuse to make this antagonistic or personal with anyone so please...everyone...save your barbs for someone else.

I won't bite.

:)

Pachuco
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/03/23/1-on-1-with-tfc-boss-aron-winter/

Watch from 7:00 or so on. He talks about Messi and teammates making each other better. Then....."the team makes the individual"

DeRo didn't see it that way. His words said as much. He felt that he WAS the team.

He goes on to talk about JDG and gives a glowing endorsement of the guy. A guy who has undoubtedly been a disappointment on the field. Especially in comparison to DeRo. DeRo gets no such endorsement.

Then they talk about the contract squabbles of Cann and DeRo and again Winter stresses the need to follow his rules. He's happy when players under contract play with the team. (backhanded shot at DeRo and Cann)

Winter thought DeRo was a great player that would be a great part of the team IF he conformed to the rules.

DeRo was either not interested in doing so or (and my personal choice) he was incapable of doing it with TFC. His ego (playing second fiddle to JDG and Mista in money) made him go out and prove that he was worth more.

"Must score, Must score. Must show team I'm the best they got and should be paid as such"

Winter's famous words "We are rebuilding a new system...if he wants to be a part of it, it starts with a team. Act like a team player. Then what the future is going to bring you....then we'll see in the future"

Pachuco...if the evidence you require is Winter saying "I didn't want DeRo"...well that doesn't exist (that I know of at least)....but there is evidence to suggest that my opinion is not out of left field.

Disagree if you like...it's certainly not a cut and dry opinion I'm giving...but to suggest that it has no merit is wrong. As evidence above.

(Just one guys opinion and not a personal attack on the man or any of his supporters.):)

I don't know. I just don't see what you are seeing there in that conversation. But if anything then Winter's been contradicting himself. I'm just not sure how he can think Dero isn't a team player and he continued to keep him as captain. He also admitted numerous times he wanted to keep him. He also admitted they gave him multiple offers. He also admitted that Dero asked to be traded and that's why he traded him. He would've been happy to keep him at his contract.

I don't think any of this had to do with Winter not thinking he's a team player or his performances on the field. This had everything to do with a contract disagreement in my opinion.

CretanBull
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
My point is that he didn't do that here. He felt that he HAD to be the guy when, in all likelihood, TFC might have benefited more by him being a cog in the miachine as opposed to the captain of the ship.

He felt that way, but obviously those feelings didn't come from nowhere...things were done and said, observations were made etc. to lead him to that conclusion and it wasn't reached on his own. Couple that with broken promises, and then new promises that if he delivered he'd be rewarded/they'd make things right. DeRo came here to be an impact player, he was told by everyone here -FO, coaches, fans, media etc - that he was 'the man' and then the (financial) rug was pulled out from under his feet and was told that if he wanted more then he'd have to deliver more. DeRo was reacting to the conditions created by someone else, and it didn't make for the best team environment, but it wasn't his doing.

Imagine in basketball telling a point guard that he has to put up 25 points a night if he wants to get paid, and then criticizing him for being a ball hog and not distributing. If that's what a guy is told that he has to do, don't be surprise when he does whatever he can to do it. If you make a guy jump through hoops for his money, he's going to jump through hoops. IMO the negative fall out from that doesn't lay at the feet of the guy who did what he was told he had to do. If they just honoured their word, all of this could have been avoided.

And sorry but No, I would not behave the way he would....regardless of how important I think I am to my company. It's one thing to think you deserve more. It's an entirely different thing to come out and say it for the whole world to hear.

There were circumstances and histories in play as well, it wasn't his first action it was his last resort - but this isn't something that needs to be endlessly debated again ;)

Pookie
04-20-2011, 06:44 PM
I think the Dwayner is actually getting some decent advice on what to say.

Soler of the NYRB has come out and said that they "need to win now" and that he brought De Rosario in because "he is one of the most dangerous players MLS has seen in the attacking third..."

That's a lot of pressure.

Saying that he can sit back and let the forwards do their thing is a pretty good way to set fans' expectations at a reasonable level in light of all the comments regarding his arrival.

Pookie
04-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Are you trying to say that he's now a complimentary player because the one variable that changed is his age? Just trying to figure out what you are saying here.

2 parts to this.

1. Is he really a complimentary player as was put forward?

2. If he is, why is that?

Let's tackle #1 first. Is he a complimentary player?

I don't know but I do know that he wasn't brought in as a complimentary player. He was brought in to help New York win it this year and because he was "... one of the most dangerous players MLS has seen in the attacking third." (Soler, NYRB)

If some folks are rating his play as that of a complimentary player then why in the hell were you willing to pay him DP money to realize his potential as a utility type guy? I guess the league was right, he is on the right type of contract for a player of his type. Maybe even overpaid?

On to #2. If he really is a complimentary player now, why is that?

If the conclusion is that he is a complimentary player now, one could argue that NY has better players this year than we had in season's past and now DeRo is simply a contributor. Sure.

It would follow that it would have been silly to pay a guy to be a star on our team long term when he would simply fade back to a support role once we found better players... but I digress.

One could also argue that if he is a complimentary player now, his age is a variable that needs to be considered. Like every other player on the face of the earth, they lose a step as they age.

wzhxvy
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Oh goodness...everytime there is a thread on Dero it turns into this. I am done talking about his DP contract demands...as it appears all the rest of MLS is. But no one can sit here and blame the guy for taking some ownership and responsibility and feeling like he needs to carry the team on his shouldera. Hell yes that is what he is supposed to do. Who the freak was going to lead us in Montreal ? Screw playing his role and all that junk, the fact of the matter is he cared more than anyone else and he took it upon himself. Sometimes he succeeded, others he failed, but he was our best player and we never brought it quality to surround him.

I cant believe I am defending him but on this, he is 100% right.

rocker
04-20-2011, 07:10 PM
it'll be interesting to see if NYRB gives a DP contract to a "complimentary player."

they have 1 slot, a slot they can purchase (which gives money to team without DPs).

CretanBull
04-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Pookie - don't confuse "complimentary player" as in someone who works well with and compliments Henry, Rodgers etc with "utility player" as in Dan Gargan.

Of course he was brought in to NY to have an impact and be an important player for them, but his job there is to support the strikers and provide secondary scoring. Here his job was to carry the team on his back.

denime
04-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Damn I go out to grab some :lurk5: and now I have two pages to catch up about:violin:.

now that I have enough :lurk5: and :drinking:we can go :topic:.

DeRo is happy now and I feel good for him,unfortunately it did not work out for him in TO.

TFC moved behind DeRO saga and circus surrounding him past two years and we should too.

Wull
04-21-2011, 07:52 AM

I think it was a response to direct quotes from DeRo and JDG wasn't it?

menefreghista
04-21-2011, 07:55 AM
I think it was a response to direct quotes from DeRo and JDG wasn't it?

I'm not too sure. But we do know how hard a guy like Cochrane was working in the background to get the GM job.

Fortunately he didn't get it.

DichioTFC
04-21-2011, 10:41 AM

I've stayed out of the DeRo debate for the most part, but I agree with v00d00 completely on these points. That bold part alone is why I feel JDG is worth more than DeRo. Even the greats of the sport (Messi, CR7) focus on the team aspect over individual accomplishments. Dwayne obviously didn't.

P-NUTZ
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
the best way to move on is to start winning.
so i hope that happens sooner than later.

torontocelt
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Do you seriously think that any of the TFC managers would have been discouraging the one guy who was scoring by the far the most goals not to get forward?

Blowing Bubbles
04-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I've stayed out of the DeRo debate for the most part, but I agree with v00d00 completely on these points. That bold part alone is why I feel JDG is worth more than DeRo. Even the greats of the sport (Messi, CR7) focus on the team aspect over individual accomplishments. Dwayne obviously didn't.

lol. what the fuck has JDG accomplished in this league? What's his reputation around the league? It sure as fuck isn't very good. He's looked at like a 1.7 million $ disaster. He's done fuck all here.

Roogsy
04-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Let's not turn this into a massive debate guys. DeRo is gone. Even a fan like me has to accept it and move on. Whether we appreciate his contributions while here is a personal choice. We all choose to praise some players and castigate others for our own reasons. The question of the OP is pretty straight forward. No need to slag other players or to compare them to DeRo. In your eyes, either he is or is not the best player to ever don TFC red. And then we move on.

v00d00daddy
04-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Let's not turn this into a massive debate guys. DeRo is gone. Even a fan like me has to accept it and move on. Whether we appreciate his contributions while here is a personal choice. We all choose to praise some players and castigate others for our own reasons. The question of the OP is pretty straight forward. No need to slag other players or to compare them to DeRo. In your eyes, either he is or is not the best player to ever don TFC red. And then we move on.

All true and I totally agree Roogsy...but aren't you thinking about the other thread.

The "is DeRo the best TFC player ever?" thread started by Trane.

lol

DichioTFC
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
lol. what the fuck has JDG accomplished in this league? What's his reputation around the league? It sure as fuck isn't very good. He's looked at like a 1.7 million $ disaster. He's done fuck all here.

I don't want to turn this into JDG v. DeRo, suffice it to say that I think what DeRo has in weaknesses, JDG has in strengths (teamwork, playmaking, tackling, leadership).

v00d00daddy
04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Do you seriously think that any of the TFC managers would have been discouraging the one guy who was scoring by the far the most goals not to get forward?

No....it has nothing to do with discouraging and everything to do with incorporating DeRo's skill set into a system that allows the whole team to flourish and grow.

Soccer players....every single one of them have positions and responsibilities on the field.

When it came to DeRo it was very hard to discern what his position was and what he was tasked to do.

Now..that could be due to incompetence on the coaching staff OR it could be due to DeRo's egotistical outlook on his value and talent.

Or it could be a combo.

My take...DeRo was a selfish player at TFC...to the detriment of his team....and it was all in an effort to highlight how good he is and how valuable he is to the team...TO MAKE MORE MONEY.

Unfortunately for him it backfired.

Fortunately for TFC he's gone.

That's how I see it.

Roogsy
04-21-2011, 12:38 PM
All true and I totally agree Roogsy...but aren't you thinking about the other thread.

The "is DeRo the best TFC player ever?" thread started by Trane.

lol

Yeah sorry. My bad.

v00d00daddy
04-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah sorry. My bad.

No worries...it's almost as appropriate here.

J .
04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Reading between the lines, sounds like Barrett is blaming DeRo for not getting service from his comments when he moved to LA, while now DeRo is saying Barrett couldnt finish.

Either way, tons of money cleared up from those guys leaving. We didnt win with them and I think everyone Ive talked to wants to move on.

I lost a lot of respect for MeRo over the past three years for some of his actions, buts its not a right or wrong problem but an issue of perspective and itll never be the exact same for anyone. Its sad it turned out like this.

ryan
04-21-2011, 05:57 PM

I hear ya brother. Guy's never even scored a fuckin goal

:picard:

jloome
04-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Disobey what? If you believe DeGuzman, they didn't have an offensive system.

tiberius
04-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Reading between the lines, sounds like Barrett is blaming DeRo for not getting service from his comments when he moved to LA, while now DeRo is saying Barrett couldnt finish.

Either way...

Either way??? It is funny how the memory fades, and we sometimes block out bad things that happen in our lives... or possibly you are trying to rewrite history?

The agony of watch him flubb, miss, grab head, flubb, miss, grab head, repeat 'till I puke... so, so many misses, oh the pain is still with me... It is not that Barrett couldn't finish - HE DID NOT FINISH. Do you not recall the now famous line from the video shot in the Columbus Crew bunker after our 6-1 miracle win in Montreal? EVEN CHAD FUCKING BARRETT SCORED! One of the funniest lines ever! Why? Because it was so, so true!

Would you pass to Chad after he flubbed 5 in a row? 10? 20? After a while the team starts to move the ball in a different direction... it can't be helped...

torontocelt
04-22-2011, 12:37 PM

Either way, tons of money cleared up from those guys leaving. We didnt win with them and I think everyone Ive talked to wants to move on.

I lost a lot of respect for MeRo over the past three years for some of his actions, buts its not a right or wrong problem but an issue of perspective and itll never be the exact same for anyone. Its sad it turned out like this.

I would have to go with DeRo on this one and I am speaking from first hand experience of seeing just how many opportunities Barrett managed to feck up. Barrett had plenty of chances at TFC but his finishing was quite appalling. If he cannot see that for himself then he I cannot see him improve as a player.