PDA

View Full Version : One for the Suggestion Box...

AmherstNY_TFC
04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
When the team loses, especially when it gets stuffed at home, can we dispense with awarding the "Carlsberg Man of the Match" to a TFC player? It looks ridiculous. At least award it to a player for the opposing team. I might hate it going to Charlie Davies after his antics, but at least I'd could appreciate Carlsberg for having some balls.

Parkdale
04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
If Charlie Davis got an award at our stadium after committing a bookable offense (in almost every other league in the world) by taunting our supporters section, then it would look even WORSE than presenting a TFC player with the trophy.

we all know the trophy is meaningless to the players, but it does mean something to the sponsors who get to present it to them. Sometimes is a local business owner, sometimes it a local soccer figure, or a local charity worker... or just some random douchebag. Whoever it is, let them have their moment even if the player would rather just slink off to the dressing room. Or hey.... make ALL the players stand on the field until every single supporter has left the building. That might teach them a thing or two.

werewolf
04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Pontius scored a brace, that would have been my first though if giving it to an opposing player...

I agree having a Man of the Match after a dreadful performance is a bit silly. Too bad they would never say "there is no man of the match today". Logic takes a back seat to sponsorships.

trane
04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
^ I agree. With everyone. It is laughble when there is a man of a match, after a bad loss, but having it be an opposing player adds insult to injury, and not having one, would not be acceptable to the sponsors.

What is the compromise position?

Gazza
04-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I'd also like to stop the singing of "the reds go marching onto victory" when we're down 3-0.

Parkdale
04-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I'd also like to stop the singing of "the reds go marching onto victory" when we're down 3-0.

well consider it Ironic.

besides, none of the songs are supposed to be literal.

"my life is not worth living if I can not sing for you" ????

not literal. Poetic and touching, sure.... but not literal.

and when the reds go 'marching on to victory.... we never said how long a march it was, and that they might be marching for years before they get anywhere.

Gazza
04-19-2011, 03:31 PM
well consider it Ironic.

besides, none of the songs are supposed to be literal.

"my life is not worth living if I can not sing for you" ????

not literal. Poetic and touching, sure.... but not literal.

and when the reds go 'marching on to victory.... we never said how long a march it was, and that they might be marching for years before they get anywhere.

Haha, touche.

__wowza
04-19-2011, 03:49 PM

i'd much prefer "always look on the bright side of life" but portlandia got there first. might i suggest a personal favourite, especially if we're tanking:

It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

It's time to put on makeup
It's time to dress up right
It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight.

Why do we always come here
I guess we'll never know
It's like a kind of torture
To have to watch the show

And now let's get things started
Why don't you get things started
It's time to get things started
On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational
This is what we call the Muppet Show

Gazza
04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
"I Just Can't Get Enough" is an ironic song that i can get behind.

werewolf
04-19-2011, 03:53 PM

While I proudly sung and chanted during the second half on saturday. I would agree that we shouldn't be singing that song unless we are winning, in the future. Last weekend was different then most other games I think.

swan
04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
i agree and thats why i didn't vote..

prizby
04-19-2011, 09:42 PM
the idea started off great...took a big tumble when Davies was referenced

Dave67
04-19-2011, 09:54 PM
^ I agree. With everyone. It is laughble when there is a man of a match, after a bad loss, but having it be an opposing player adds insult to injury, and not having one, would not be acceptable to the sponsors.

What is the compromise position?

I have not watched hockey for a few years, but precedent would be the Molson 3 stars after Leaf games ( do they still do that). If the #1 star was from the other team then the #1 star was from the other team. Call it like it is.