PDA

View Full Version : Eckersley to TFC on loan (confirmed by TFC)

Ron Manager
04-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Just found this report (http://www.thesportscampus.com/2011041511750/news-bytes/eckersley-joins-canadian-mls-side-toronto-fc-on-loan-till-january) stating we have signed a 22 yr old defender on loan from Burnley until the end of the season. I've never heard of him but certainly hope he is a RB.

Ron Manager
04-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Wiki here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Eckersley_(footballer)), he is a fullback who made a first team appearance for Man Utd. Could be another decent pickup of a young talent by the new management.

Nodoubtguy
sounds very much like the person I've heard about

pekduck
looks like it.

Defender

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Sweet! I hope this is the player that Mariner was referring to on the Fan590 last night. We need all the help we can get at RB...

bman27
04-15-2011, 09:00 AM
sounds promising, Mariner obviously knows him from a spell at argyle, glad its an informed decision, we need more depth at the back so hope it works out

DangerRed
04-15-2011, 09:02 AM
It's official, from Burnley's website: http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~2339466,00.html
:scarf::scarf::scarf:

EDIT: Just want to say how great it is to see the management use theiir connections to sign players from outside the puddle of a talent pool we have here in North America.

jabbronies
04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
That was a quick find!

ginkster88
04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
When they say they're adding a player they add a player. I like it.

brad
04-15-2011, 09:05 AM
He was considered a good prospect at United, looked okay in the matches he played from what I recall. He's a natural LB I think, but can play on the right as well.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Nice! The loan deal is until January so we have him for the rest of the season. I am starting to love the manner in which Winter and Mariner address specific needs on this club. Mariner's contacts came through on this one.

Next up, an attacking midfielder!

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 09:08 AM
When they say they're adding a player they add a player. I like it.

Nothing like managers who tell the truth. A refreshing change.

brad
04-15-2011, 09:09 AM
This should hopefully reduce the need to release the Gargan.

Oh - Eckersly was more of a stay at home defender from what I recall - not really an attacking threat. That may have changed though, and might be part of the reason he didn't make it at United.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 09:11 AM
This should hopefully reduce the need to release the Gargan.

Oh - Eckersly was more of a stay at home defender from what I recall - not really an attacking threat. That may have changed though, and might be part of the reason he didn't make it at United.

I think you're right. In any case, he will most definitely be an upgrade at RB on our club!

I wonder if he'll be available for tomorrow's match?

brad
04-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Also, United often employ a 4-3-3 system, so I imagine he will be pretty familiar with the system.

Solid footballing education, he should have a decent handle on the fundementals that some of our players lack.

None of this means he'll be any good though, but here's hoping.

Red CB Toronto
04-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Well they are using their contacts to get players, even though Richard is english this is nothing like that of something Mo would do. Good to see.

ginkster88
04-15-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't think Mo has any contacts left in the football world. He burnt every bridge he ever crossed.

JonO
04-15-2011, 09:15 AM
I love the fact that Mariner and Winter are implementing a system and are bringing in players that have skill and can work within the system. Honestly, before this year, when was a player decision made based on our football needs?

bman27
04-15-2011, 09:16 AM
its refreshing to see us picking up a 21 year old defender with a decent pedigree, lets hope players like Stevanovic and him work out well, we should want to have a reputation of a club that players can come to further their career, not end it

Whoop
04-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Nice! The loan deal is until January so we have him for the rest of the season. I am starting to love the manner in which Winter and Mariner address specific needs on this club. Mariner's contacts came through on this one.

I think an attacking minded player will be looked at during the summer window.

Azerban
04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
He's a natural LB I think, but can play on the right as well.

i have a semi

flatpicker
04-15-2011, 09:23 AM
i have a semi

I think that might be on the prohibited list at BMO.

Sweeper
04-15-2011, 09:23 AM
[quote=brad;1276813]This should hopefully reduce the need to release the Gargan.

Likely be releasing the Gargan at the end of the season.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I think an attacking minded player will be looked at during the summer window.

I know, but it's nice to have confidence in management's ability to identify the right type of player when the opportunity arises. Hopefully Santos will be able to adapt to that role in the interim.

brad
04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
its refreshing to see us picking up a 21 year old defender with a decent pedigree, lets hope players like Stevanovic and him work out well, we should want to have a reputation of a club that players can come to further their career, not end it

I like the move

However...

Be careful with this assumption. There is pedigree, but that means nothing. I've followed players in the United youth academy for a long time. Some of them go on to have bright careers, some of them don't. Making an appearance or two for the first team doesn't really mean anything.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions until we see him play. However, if you want to - I would point to the fact that he couldn't get a game in the Championship and is floating around teams in League two on loan. That is probably more telling of the player he is today than the fact that he made a couple of appearances for United.

Gazza
04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
By the looks of him, he should be burnt to a crisp come August. Get that man some waterproof sunblock.

Ageroo
04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
By the looks of him, he should be burnt to a crisp come August. Get that man some waterproof sunblock.

haha......maybe a straw hat...

flambe
04-15-2011, 09:33 AM

+1

Nothing like managers who recognise a need and then to fill it quickly and with purpose!

phonzo
haha I could not find his name last night...damnit

Gazza
haha......maybe a straw hat...

They allow mittens, scarves and head bands now, so why not? Straw hats should be made legal for us pigment-challenged lads.

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Also, United often employ a 4-3-3 system, so I imagine he will be pretty familiar with the system.

Solid footballing education, he should have a decent handle on the fundementals that some of our players lack.

None of this means he'll be any good though, but here's hoping.

United play more a "hybrid" system though when they play 4-3-3, not exactly the Dutch or Spanish styles. Still, it won't be hard for him to learn Winter's system. Having a United background will indeed be a solid footballing education.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I like the move

However...

Be careful with this assumption. There is pedigree, but that means nothing. I've followed players in the United youth academy for a long time. Some of them go on to have bright careers, some of them don't. Making an appearance or two for the first team doesn't really mean anything.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions until we see him play. However, if you want to - I would point to the fact that he couldn't get a game in the Championship and is floating around teams in League two on loan. That is probably more telling of the player he is today than the fact that he made a couple of appearances for United.

You're absolutely right. That being said, it's fair to assume that Eckersley should be more adept at fulfilling an immediate role at RB within a 4-3-3 than either Gargan or Omphroy. Hopefully, he will flourish with the opportunity to play consistently as a starter.

phonzo
04-15-2011, 09:36 AM
the birdie told me he's meant to fill the RB position :)

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 09:37 AM
You're absolutely right. That being said, it's fair to assume that Eckersley should be more adept at fulfilling an immediate role at RB within a 4-3-3 than either Gargan or Omphroy. Hopefully, he will flourish with the opportunity to play consistently as a starter.

Mariner is noted as a good judge of talent. He wouldn't be bringing him in unless he was an improvement, as we already have some "B" grade bench coverage.

Globetrotter
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Depth at the back?? Unless the guy is high quality, don't we have a ton of depth at the back?? 10 guys to fill a 4 man back line.

Yourassowsky, Borman, Henry
Cann, Attakora, Harden, Williams
Gargan, Morgan, Omphroy

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 09:40 AM
So would it look like this?

---------------- Frei --------------------
--- Eckersley --- Attakora --- Cann --- Yourass

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 09:40 AM
awesome, looks like this dude might be a great addition, hope its the truth.
Glad to see Mariner working hard.

rviewmirror
04-15-2011, 09:42 AM
I can see Yourass playing up like where he did last game when he entered in the second half.

phonzo
04-15-2011, 09:43 AM
it is the truth :)

boom official this thread!

reggie
04-15-2011, 09:43 AM
the local so called press should be on this soon.
after they get off this site.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Bwahahaha

Globetrotter
04-15-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't know much about English soccer, but isn't a stay at home defender that was spending time on the bench from a team that's not in the top division something we are NOT looking for? What's so good about him? If he has potential, why wasn't he playing, and playing for a respectable team?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
got more faith in mariner than your analysis.
you can also say that he could have resigned with Man U, but decided he wanted first team at Burnley fell out with coaches and has been on a downhill slide ever since.

BTW the championship is not a 4 division greece league, its still got alot of quality and we're not going to be getting EPL players at 22 here anytime soon

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Boom goes the dynamite.

This is a great pickup. I can't believe how professional our club is becoming. Getting players from the Italian Leagues and the English Leagues is great.

IMO, this is bigger than getting Tchani.

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Mention on Bury's site (where he had played for 3 games on loan, before Mariner calling him up).

http://www.buryfc.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10422~2339480,00.html

reggie
04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
are we not over the import quota?

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6873195,00.html

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/8977586.Burnley_defender_makes_Toronto_loan_switch/

jabbronies
04-15-2011, 09:53 AM
So here's a question...Could TFC become known for development of Euro players that may not be getting enough time with their current club?

They play in the Euro off-season - so if players do well for TFC, their loaner club could get them into the lineup at the start of their season?

What's the deal with Stevanovic? is he still a prospect for his club in Italy or is he out of that system?

Whoop
04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
RcDVNWXT7j0

ManUtd4ever

Zing!

Fort York Redcoat
I don't know much about English soccer, but isn't a stay at home defender that was spending time on the bench from a team that's not in the top division something we are NOT looking for? What's so good about him? If he has potential, why wasn't he playing, and playing for a respectable team?

Your scepticism is warranted. I'm not too worried knowing what's expected in the League 1. There are similarities to our league that should help transition.

Next- David Edgar:canada:

Whoop
04-15-2011, 09:55 AM
So here's a question...Could TFC become known for development of Euro players that may not be getting enough time with their current club?

They play in the Euro off-season - so if players do well for TFC, their loaner club could get them into the lineup at the start of their season?

What's the deal with Stevanovic? is he still a prospect for his club in Italy or is he out of that system?

I've been saying MLS should be a "farm league" for Europe until the talent in NA is there to compete... which could be a while.

phonzo
04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
i'm thinking mariner must have seen something in him while on loan to Plymouth as well. Something that seems to fit the system being implemented here....

another positive...he's only 22...fantastic

bman27
04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I like the move

However...

you make a great point and for me its more hope then an assumption, you could make the same point for stevanovic. Couple of Games for inter, couldn't really get playing time at torino, but has been a pleasant surprise so far here, I trust mariner's judge of talent. he obviously likes him enough to have taken him on trial once all ready.

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
RcDVNWXT7j0

Good find.

Ageroo
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Next- David Edgar:canada:

:D Yes Please

Whoop
04-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Good find.

RPB twitter feed. ;)

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Good thing this wasn't posted in the Members Section. Then none of our beloved local reporters would know wtf was going on.
;)

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM

possibly but most if not all loans have to have the option to buy in the MLS

Ron Manager
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Don't forget that Martina had a similar "pedigree" and many were skeptical of wheteher or not he was the calibre of player we need to be looking at . He seems to be just fine.
I think Mariner, Winter and DeKlerk have done nothing to make us doubt their collective ability to find and bring in the talent we require. The signings they have made have appeared pretty good so far.
Have faith.

brad
04-15-2011, 10:05 AM
United play more a "hybrid" system though when they play 4-3-3, not exactly the Dutch or Spanish styles. Still, it won't be hard for him to learn Winter's system. Having a United background will indeed be a solid footballing education.

It's not the dutch version, but the expectations on Fullbacks is not that different.

bman27
04-15-2011, 10:07 AM

League one is still respectable, and you can still find quality, for example Mike Grella, our 3rd Round Superdraft pick in the 09 draft decided against joining us and took a trial with then in league one Leeds united. he signed but never cracked the lineup only coming in a sub. This year with leeds in the championship he has spend limited time on trial in league one. he would probably be either a sub or an occasional started for us if he was here. my point is, we shouldn't underestimate some of the talent you can find in league one.

Globetrotter
04-15-2011, 10:08 AM

got more faith in mariner than your analysis.

Your scepticism is warranted. :

It was more of a question than it was a commentary, and not competing with Mariner. I don't follow English soccer with any real interest, especially lower divisions.

1. If we need a guy to get up in the play, a stay at home defender is not what we need.
2. Going by past reactions on this board about people getting hyped about acquisitions that really have turned out to be ho-hum players, I do question the pickup without ever having seen him play... and go from an English style to a Dutch style.

brad
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
i'm thinking mariner must have seen something in him while on loan to Plymouth as well. Something that seems to fit the system being implemented here....

another positive...he's only 22...fantastic

^^This

Forget the United connection, forget the fact he plays in league two now.

Marnier knows the MLS. Marnier knows TFC and what we need. Mariner has coached Eckersly and knows what he brings to the table.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Fair enough, seems the reaction in this thread has been pretty calm and interested more so than previous threads, once again Mariner and Winter have done quite well so far (who knows how the seasonll turn out) with acquisitions so i dont see this as being a misstep.

Whoop
04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
With all this youth... doesn't it suggest that Winter and Mariner are looking at things long term?

Look at the majority of their signings this year
Martina - 24
Zavarise - 24
Stevanovic (loan) - 20
Eckersley (loan) - 22

etc.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 10:13 AM
yep a team that can grow together and have pieces inserted when needed

brad
04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
It was more of a question than it was a commentary, and not competing with Mariner. I don't follow English soccer with any real interest, especially lower divisions.

1. If we need a guy to get up in the play, a stay at home defender is not what we need.
2. Going by past reactions on this board about people getting hyped about acquisitions that really have turned out to be ho-hum players, I do question the pickup without ever having seen him play... and go from an English style to a Dutch style.

1: Stay at home defender comment came from me - but don't run with that. That's what he was when he was developing at United and I was paying attention. He be an attacking option now for all I know.

3:I agree. However, for a fullback coming from United, I don't think this will be that big of a challenge. Their are many similarities.

Boondaddy
FINALLY, someone in FO who knows what the fuck to do with this football club.

This is a GREAT pickup. Well done Mariner.

Oldtimer
It's not the dutch version, but the expectations on Fullbacks is not that different.

I agree. However, for a fullback coming from United, I don't think this will be that big of a challenge. Their are many similarities.

Exactly. It won't be hard for him to learn the system.

Pachuco
04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Sounds like an interesting move. Surely we are releasing a defender in 3-2-1

Globetrotter
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
It's nice that we hear them saying "we need this, we'll go find this", then they do it. It's nice knowing to a reasonable extent what's in their head and their intentions. And they are going through with this.

A couple of cautions though. If we start bringing in guys like Yourassowsky, Eckersley and they disappear after 15-20 games... it's no different than Ricketts, Hrscanovic, or that solid dude from Scotland with mini dreads in year 1 (don't remember the name).
Nana was to be a big part of this team (and we have a thread about him so I don't want to derail this one), but if he disappears, this might seem like a Preki move.

So, it's nice to see what's going on, and I'm liking all the passing we are doing and the backs fying up into the play. It's exciting for sure... but we've seen phase 1 of the season four times before... I think this will be different, but am cautious (but very optimistic!).

Detroit_TFC
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Don't forget that Martina had a similar "pedigree" and many were skeptical of wheteher or not he was the calibre of player we need to be looking at . He seems to be just fine.
I think Mariner, Winter and DeKlerk have done nothing to make us doubt their collective ability to find and bring in the talent we require. The signings they have made have appeared pretty good so far.
Have faith.

I'm starting to move from faith to belief. Not to dump on Preki but when he dipped into the European grab bag, it didn't help so much. Winter/Mariner obviously have much deeper connections and we are getting the benefits of that now.

Red CB Toronto
04-15-2011, 10:20 AM
RcDVNWXT7j0

Man, you got to love the music as Richard was coming to the stage lol.

Whoop
04-15-2011, 10:22 AM
It's nice that we hear them saying "we need this, we'll go find this", then they do it. It's nice knowing to a reasonable extent what's in their head and their intentions. And they are going through with this.

A couple of cautions though. If we start bringing in guys like Yourassowsky, Eckersley and they disappear after 15-20 games... it's no different than Ricketts, Hrscanovic, or that solid dude from Scotland with mini dreads in year 1 (don't remember the name).
Nana was to be a big part of this team (and we have a thread about him so I don't want to derail this one), but if he disappears, this might seem like a Preki move.

So, it's nice to see what's going on, and I'm liking all the passing we are doing and the backs fying up into the play. It's exciting for sure... but we've seen phase 1 of the season four times before... I think this will be different, but am cautious (but very optimistic!).

I agree with this too.

Ageroo
04-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Sounds like an interesting move. Surely we are releasing a defender in 3-2-1

That's what I am thinking as well.......really getting crowded at the back.

TFCDP
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
With all this youth... doesn't it suggest that Winter and Mariner are looking at things long term?

Martina - 24
Zavarise - 24
Stevanovic (loan) - 20
Eckersley (loan) - 22

etc.

It's nice to be bringing all this youth.. I can't help but think though, we're most likely not going to have these loans next year.. We get these players to get used to the system only to have to replace them next year.

TorontoGooner
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Good signing. You can never have too many young defenders coming in. He sounds pretty solid and unlikely to do anything stupid or risqué. We are giving the ball away all too often at the moment, so he'll be a welcome change

DangerRed
04-15-2011, 10:29 AM
I think we'll see Gargan gone. Great if that's so, but it's not like Dan is choking up a lot of cap space with his salary. Fan favorite, but if we're supposed to start winning, Gargan has no place here.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Defenders acquired this year - Yourassowsky (formerly of Boca Juniors, Anderlecht), Williams (Jamaican international), Borman (solid MLS veteran) and Eckersley (MUFC Academy product).

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 10:41 AM
That's what I am thinking as well.......really getting crowded at the back.

been thinking the same, im thinking sturgis or gargan, prob make room for another striker

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
It's nice to be bringing all this youth.. I can't help but think though, we're most likely not going to have these loans next year.. We get these players to get used to the system only to have to replace them next year.

MLS dictates loans have a buy clause, i cant think of a case when its not had one (maybe someone can clarify)

Technorgasm
04-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Every team in MLS has such high turnover that there are usually only 4-5 players that stay year to year.

even fewer that make a career out of it. MLS is a developmental / Retuirement league. its a fact of life.

Trick is to bring the right players in, and keep the players that represent the highest value to the club.

WE ARE COMING FOR YOU KKKREW.
gonna make you our BITCH!

jloome
04-15-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm starting to move from faith to belief. Not to dump on Preki but when he dipped into the European grab bag, it didn't help so much. Winter/Mariner obviously have much deeper connections and we are getting the benefits of that now.

Faith and belief are the same thing.

ryan
04-15-2011, 10:49 AM

TFC plays by our own rules, nobody else's, not even our own.

wzhxvy
04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Just to confirm, according to MLS rules, we have the right to keep or buy a player on loan for a pre-determine amount correct ?

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Dont forget, there's also a reserve league this year. Any players not on the starting XI, or on the subs bench, will find time on the reserve team. So we don't necessarily need to cut anyone. Keep Gargan on the reserve team until there's an injury or if the starters keep making mistakes - like Nana's situation.

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Faith is the confident trust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust_%28social_sciences%29) in the truth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth) or trustworthiness of a person, concept (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept) or thing.
Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition) or premise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premise) to be true (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth).

It's the evolution of trust, faith being the first stage and belief as a more developed stage.

canadian_bhoy
04-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Great signing!

http://netbrawl.com/uploads/bdd926200bf4f5496c518ad9cc63c7cc.jpg

ensco
I guess I like they idea that Euro teams trust us with their assets, but some kid from League Two? I don't see how anyone could have a big opinion about this move.

The euphoria in this thread is nuts. Pass the bong, I guess.

Gazza

Martina - 24
Zavarise - 24
Stevanovic (loan) - 20
Eckersley (loan) - 22

etc.

Stevanovic and Eckersley are on loan deals. Unless they're confident in signing the two to long term extensions, the long term future is still up in the air.

Darlofletch
thoughts from burnley fans on twitter.

he's an enigma - hasn't played for us in two years despite coming highly rated from united.

not seen alot of him at BFC. Enjoys a red card, spoke to a Bradford fan full of praise for him but suggested possibly L1 max

a league one max player could do a job here, I'll trust mariner's judgement and let's hope he works out.

were we at the max for squad level? do we have to drop someone to make way for him? if so, I'd suggest sturgis as a favourite, doesn't seem like winter likes him.

Hitcho
Honestly, before this year, when was a player decision made based on our football needs?

Mista!!!! :D

we should want to have a reputation of a club that players can come to further their career, not end it

Amen! Although we need to be careful not to be seen as a stepping stone, high turnover will get us nowhere when we need stability, so hopefully these players do well and stay

Overall this looks like it has some promise and like someone posted (brad?) above, Mariner knows the league, the TFC squad, the new system we're using and the player in question, so that's a good connection. Better than Mo throwing darts around the UK and seeing who they hit!!

TFCRegina

Not necessarily. Anyone with a green card counts as an american, which counts as a domestic player this year... Frei definitely counts as American, and there's probably a few others too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tchani and Borman have green cards.

denime
MLS dictates loans have a buy clause, i cant think of a case when its not had one (maybe someone can clarify)
yes ,there is a buy out clause,but without buy out price.

Inter can easily ask $5Mil. for Stevanovic and we say no thanks,MLS is happy since we did not break the rule,we got his services for a season and now we can look for some other young player who wants to prove himself in MLS in order to get another chance in Europe.

it is really easy to go around a Loan with buy out clause .

Darlofletch
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Have faith.

and on the other side of things, how's soolsma looking? I have faith, but let's not pretend they never miss.

Whoop
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Stevanovic and Eckersley are on loan deals. Unless they're confident in signing the two to long term extensions, the long term future is still up in the air.

Agreed.

By the same token, if they don't work out, they don't work out.

Pookie
04-15-2011, 10:59 AM
I love the fact that Mariner and Winter are implementing a system and are bringing in players that have skill and can work within the system. Honestly, before this year, when was a player decision made based on our football needs?

So true.

I remember reading quotes from Mo prior to JDG being brought in about the need for him to be born here... well, why paraphrase, this is what he said as quoted by the National Post:

"Yes, absolutely, we want a DP," Johnston said. "Do we want him [age] 34 or 35? No. Preferably I'd like him to be Canadian. That's all I'll say."

Gazza
Agreed.

By the same token, if they don't work out, they don't work out.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. My issue now is how a league 1 defender handles MLS officiating. That's always a worry for me. Especially since Eckersley seems to come with a bit of grit.

Whoop
and on the other side of things, how's soolsma looking? I have faith, but let's not pretend they never miss.

True.

But at least he hasn't played much since Vancouver.

In the past, the team would have tried to fit a square peg in a round hole and keep playing him.

Detroit_TFC
04-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Blind faith vs solid evidence of improvement, better? :)

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
thoughts from burnley fans on twitter.

a league one max player could do a job here, I'll trust mariner's judgement and let's hope he works out.

were we at the max for squad level? do we have to drop someone to make way for him? if so, I'd suggest sturgis as a favourite, doesn't seem like winter likes him.

Exactly. Burnley's fans have higher expectations than we do (rightfully so), but we're not looking for the next coming of Rafael or Ashley Cole. A role player who can earn a 6.5 rating game in and game out is all we're looking for.

Wull
04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
See a hole? Fill it!

Words to live by!!

celt-nick
04-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Or it might be one of those important stories that can only be found by lurking in locker rooms. ;)

spot-on
04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
RcDVNWXT7j0

Damn, that video reeks of amateur hour over at MUFC. Would have expected a bit better of an event from such an illustrious club. The music selection was rubbish.

I don't follow English soccer with any real interest, especially lower divisions.

I do question the pickup without ever having seen him play... and go from an English style to a Dutch style.

It's completely fair to question the pickup, but I think you're making a big assumption about the difference between the styles of play he has seen. The English game is very much a combination of different playing styles, and each team will bring their own philosophy. Arsenal, MU, and blackpool play a very open, attacking brand of football, while Stoke and Wigan on the other hand tend to put more players behind the ball and play more conservatively (while also breaking legs).

At the end of the day, a fullback is a fullback regardless of system. The only difference will be the extent he is asked to move forward, and the type of buildup they would like to play.

TFC OZZ
04-15-2011, 11:20 AM

my sentiments exactly.

flatpicker
04-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Amen! Although we need to be careful not to be seen as a stepping stone, high turnover will get us nowhere when we need stability, so hopefully these players do well and stay

I think it's unavoidable that MLS is going to have plenty of player turnover, and those using it as a stepping stone.

The same can be said for most leagues in the world that are not at "world class" level.

I have no problem with that...
it's understandable if a high quality player decides to move on to bigger and better things.
I think it makes MLS look good if it helps develop good players.

Beach_Red
04-15-2011, 11:22 AM
So true.

I remember reading quotes from Mo prior to JDG being brought in about the need for him to be born here... well, why paraphrase, this is what he said as quoted by the National Post:

"Yes, absolutely, we want a DP," Johnston said. "Do we want him [age] 34 or 35? No. Preferably I'd like him to be Canadian. That's all I'll say."

Why do you think the manager would prefer that?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
yes ,there is a buy out clause,but without buy out price.

Inter can easily ask $5Mil. for Stevanovic and we say no thanks,MLS is happy since we did not break the rule,we got his services for a season and now we can look for some other young player who wants to prove himself in MLS in order to get another chance in Europe.

it is really easy to go around a Loan with buy out clause .

Good point, i get the feeling that the league would still only take players that would be within reach of buying, theyve been pretty straight forward with developing american players, dont know that theyd want to help develop other leagues players (remember how there were issues re: canadian players). Maybe someone can clarify this for us. I dunno why but i dont see us (let alone the league), taking on players without the intention of eventually buying them, especially with our new management, unless it was an emergency. Dont forget Winter is trying to set a team up that will grow together etc.

Wull
04-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Why do you think the manager would prefer that?

the word appeasement comes to mind

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 11:30 AM
dya think he'll be ready to play tomorrow?
Maybe a sub?

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Maybe a sub?

Sure hope so. If the game conditions permit (up by a couple goals), I would love to see him come on for the last 25' or so

Darlofletch
04-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Maybe a sub?

If he's here already and his permits and league permission are all lined up, i think he'll play.

he's been playing for bury so should be match fit, and as with stevanovic, tchani and borman, winter's not afraid to throw a player in there without time with the team in practice.

jet lag could be an issue I suppose, 7pm kick off would be midnight in britain.

Shep
04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
cool, he was born in Salford. my grandad hails from there

haven't even seen him play and I already like this guy lol

Lucky Strike
04-15-2011, 11:46 AM
For ultra-pessimistic and those who are expressing doubt over the quality of a guy that was in League Two, Bury is actually 2nd in the table and currently in an automatic promotion slot. Nearing the end of the season, with a 5 point cushion to 4th place (where you have to go through playoffs instead of being automatically promoted).

For all intents and purposes, this is almost a League One club. And like it was mentioned earlier, League One players can do a job in MLS.

Good pickup on paper.

Yohan
04-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Every team in MLS has such high turnover that there are usually only 4-5 players that stay year to year.

even fewer that make a career out of it. MLS is a developmental / Retuirement league. its a fact of life.
False. See Colorado/NYRB/LAG/FC Dallas/Seattle/SJ/RSL this year

Trick is to bring the right players in, and keep the players that represent the highest value to the club.

+1

brad
04-15-2011, 11:53 AM
If he's here already and his permits and league permission are all lined up, i think he'll play.

he's been playing for bury so should be match fit, and as with stevanovic, tchani and borman, winter's not afraid to throw a player in there without time with the team in practice.

jet lag could be an issue I suppose, 7pm kick off would be midnight in britain.

Was for Steva, but that didn't stop Winter from playing him.

lazlo_80
04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Another comparison could be Terry Dunfield who I believe was playing in league 2 and has played very well for the whitecaps so far this season.

Darlofletch
04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Another comparison could be Terry Dunfield who I believe was playing in league 2 and has played very well for the whitecaps so far this season.

indeed. there's no guarantees, look at Johnn smith for another example of someone who went from epl youth team down to lower leagues and reached league 2 level before trying his luck here, but there's some decent players at that level who can do a job here.

hopefully eckersley's one of them.

Beach_Red
04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
the word appeasement comes to mind

The addition of the, "That's all I have to say," makes it sound like it was someone doing what they were told. The whole first four years of this team now look like a front man acting on orders that had little to do with building a team on the field and everything to do with appeasement and budget.

The good news is it now seems like the organization really has entered a new stage and those kind of statements no longer apply.

scooter
04-15-2011, 12:08 PM
this is great news and another step in the right direction for the club

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I guess I like they idea that Euro teams trust us with their assets, but some kid from League Two? I don't see how anyone could have a big opinion about this move.

The euphoria in this thread is nuts. Pass the bong, I guess.

LOL, it's euphoric in here because Dan Gargan, Ty Harden, and Jacob Peterson have been our right backs this year.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
cant say id say people have been euphoric, theres a cautious optimism, maybe ive missed those other posts. definitely nice to have a rb with pedigree, lets see what he can bring to the table.

maninb
04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
The thing I like is the youth of the players we're bringing in....not retread rubbish like Dickov, Mista, etc.....

Red CB Toronto
04-15-2011, 12:27 PM
The thing I like is the youth of the players we're bringing in....not retread rubbish like Dickov, Mista, etc.....

.... lol, Dickov was the longest supposed TFC star in waiting in team history, always on the cusp of coming here but never quite did, thank god.

prizby
04-15-2011, 12:31 PM

doubt it...we now have a 30 man roster

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 12:33 PM
doubt it...we now have a 30 man roster

Well, obviously a player will be moved to accomodate the next signing when the time comes.

prizby
04-15-2011, 12:33 PM
LOL, it's euphoric in here because Dan Gargan, Ty Harden, and Jacob Peterson have been our right backs this year.

may i remind you that the last league this kid played in was league 2 with bury...i'd say the mls is ahead of league 2, im cautious in saying he is going to be much better although i think there is a glimmer of hope since he played twice in the first team with United in EPL games

prizby
04-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Well, obviously a player will be moved to accomodate the next signing when the time comes.

if they didn't want any of the 30 to be on the roster, they would have been cut in March

although now that i think about it, we could be at 28 or 29 depending on the ruling of all year injury status of Lindsay (and possibly Bouchiba)

Nodoubtguy
04-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Official

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/reds-acquire-right-back-eckersley

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
lets hope the crew dont sign kirk gibson out of retirement

Whoop
04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
LOL @ neil

Or Robbie Alomar.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 12:41 PM
may i remind you that the last league this kid played in was league 2 with bury...i'd say the mls is ahead of league 2, im cautious in saying he is going to be much better although i think there is a glimmer of hope since he played twice in the first team with United in EPL games

My statement wasn't an indictment of MLS or any of the TFC players that I mentioned. The fact of the matter is that up until now, all of the players deployed at RB were playing out of position. Harden is a natural CB, Gargan is natural DM that converted to RB last year, and Peterson is a natural RF. Aside from Omphroy, Eckersley is the first natural RB on the roster this season.

Whoop
04-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Response to this was made earlier.

For ultra-pessimistic and those who are expressing doubt over the quality of a guy that was in League Two, Bury is actually 2nd in the table and currently in an automatic promotion slot. Nearing the end of the season, with a 5 point cushion to 4th place (where you have to go through playoffs instead of being automatically promoted).

For all intents and purposes, this is almost a League One club. And like it was mentioned earlier, League One players can do a job in MLS.

Good pickup on paper.

We'll have to trust Mariner's judgment as he actually COACHED the kid.

Red CB Toronto
04-15-2011, 12:42 PM

if they didn't want any of the 30 to be on the roster, they would have been cut in March

I count the roster at 29 before adding Eckersley to it, so if all is correct the roster is now full. Now if a better option does come along in regards to a new player someone will simply be release to open up a spot.

bgnewf
04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Just got back from training at BMO Field and I CAN confirm thay this is a done deal on TFC's part. All TFC is waiting for is for the league office to rubber stamp it so that the deal can be officially announced.

Winter was coy and would not confirm it at all. No word on if he is here or not nor if he will play tomorrow.

I managed to sneak onto the pitch for training for about two minutes before security took us back inside and from a quick glance I did not see s single new person on the pitch... for what that's worth.

Also had a quick chat with Bouchiba, who is still on crutches. Super nice guy. I am hearing six months before we can even think about seeing him play.

Whoop
04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah I'd imagine they would release or trade someone to make room for someone especially if the next guy is a big signing.

As for the 2 matches with United's first team, even United fans say not to read too much into that.

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 12:53 PM
The addition of the, "That's all I have to say," makes it sound like it was someone doing what they were told. The whole first four years of this team now look like a front man acting on orders that had little to do with building a team on the field and everything to do with appeasement and budget.

I know you hate ML$E (and that is understandable), but this is a bit rich. He may have been under orders to get a Canadian DP, but most of Mo's idiotic moves can be laid on the man himself (and his "scout," player agent Barry McLean).

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I know you hate ML$E (and that is understandable), but this is a bit rich. He may have been under orders to get a Canadian DP, but most of Mo's idiotic moves can be laid on the man himself (and his "scout," player agent Barry McLean).

I've been trying to tell Beach the same thing for years but he won't listen to me, LOL. At least we can all agree that the current management regime has total autonomy regarding player personnel decisions.

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Just got back from training at BMO Field and I CAN confirm thay this is a done deal on TFC's part.

Scoop! By the way did you read this post?

Official

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/reds-acquire-right-back-eckersley

:lol:

Waggy
04-15-2011, 01:00 PM
LOL @ neil

Or Robbie Alomar.

Was my first thought too :lol:

Another good signing. It's becoming a pleasure to support this team. Work hard on and off game day, don't patronize or try and be too clever, just go out and get players to fill the roles we need. Imagine what this club will be in 3 or 4 months... I'm already salivating at the summer transfer window

Beach_Red
04-15-2011, 01:01 PM

As long as the team is no longer run that way, I don't really care, but I think the way you're reading it make MLSE look even worse. They have admitted they didn't know how to hire for the soccer team by hiring a consultant and letting him make the choices - and it's interesting he made two choices and not just one.

Maybe I let my day job get into my feelings. I've worked on plenty of movie sets with inexperienced directors making decisions they think will please producers and studio execs. Good execs don't leave inexperienced people that exposed. MLSE did, but it looks like they've changed (of course, studio execs get fired for that kind of poor decision making, no one at MLSE does).

scooterTFC
04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Ekersley will count as an international. How many international slots do we have in total? Will they need to release someone to make room for him?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 01:10 PM
DOubt it otherwise we would have had to do so before hand

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 01:17 PM
TFC's website is milking the Manchester United link for all it's worth. He hasn't played there in a couple of years, but this is the pic above the article. I hope he plays well for us.

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/primary_image-620x350/image_nodes/2011/04/Eckersley2.jpg

brad
04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Molinaro on twitter

Been told that TFC is expecting Eckersley to come in tonight but no decision made yet on whether he'll play against DC.

JonO
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
A ginger and a former united player... I know a few people who will have him on a short leash ;)

brad
04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't think that the level he played with United or with Bury is any indication of how we will do here. And i don't think that the example I'm about to cite has any relevance to the Eckersly situation. However, for those that do - some food for thought.

Kenny Cooper spent time with United. He had no first team appearances. He was loaned to Oldham Athletic in League One (who almost got relegated that year), then came to the MLS straight after that loan. He finished 6th in the MLS scoring table with 11 goals in 31 games that year.

brad
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
A ginger and a former united player... I know a few people who will have him on a short leash ;)

Sure hope he didn't learn to tackle from the other ginger:)

scooterTFC
04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
DOubt it otherwise we would have had to do so before hand
That's what I figured. Who are our international players?

I pretty sure these 8 guys are internationals:

Ekersely
Martina
Plato
Santos
Soolsma
Stevanovich
Yourassky
Bouchiba (* might not count towards the roster due to long term injury)
These guys might count as internationals or might not if they have a green cards/residency:

Borman
Kocic
Tchani

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
TFC's website is milking the Manchester United link for all it's worth. He hasn't played there in a couple of years, but this is the pic above the article. I hope he plays well for us.

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/primary_image-620x350/image_nodes/2011/04/Eckersley2.jpg

It's called marketing. When Beckham came to MLS, nobody showed pictures of him wearing a Brimsdown Rovers kit.

brandrews
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Ekersley will count as an international. How many international slots do we have in total? Will they need to release someone to make room for him?

i believe we have 10 total (8 standard for this season; 2 from prior trades)

eckersley takes up the last as far as i can tell

kocic, williams, yourassowsky, eckersley, santos, martina, stevanovic, plata, soolsma, bouchiba

TFCRegina mentioned earlier that frei has his green card, and i have read a few times that borman and tchani do as well.

if bouchiba really is done for the year, we would be able to essentially reuse that slot, and i have also read that kocic might count a domestic for some reason.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 01:32 PM
It's called marketing. When Beckham came to MLS, nobody showed pictures of him wearing a Brimsdown Rovers kit.

I know, it's predictable but it's also amusing.

dantdot
04-15-2011, 01:32 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2117792331

Burnley fan reactions.

brandrews
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
i'm loving this trend of finding young dudes with pedigree to fill specific positional needs.

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-15-2011, 01:34 PM

you rang? :D

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Burnley fan reactions.

Yikes, not exactly a ringing endorsement from Burnley supporters but then again, he wasn't given much of an opportunity to play significant minutes there either.

Hopefully he will develop into a solid RB for us with proper mentoring.

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Burnley fan reactions.

Yikes, not exactly a ringing endorsement from Burnley supporters but then again, he wasn't given much of an opportunity to play significant minutes there either.

Hopefully he will develop into a solid RB for us with proper mentoring.

hmmmm

I don't think we'll ever know how good he might have been. Sadly his career has probably been damaged by the move here. We're not terribly good with young talent, and usually that means somethings wrong with the older players.

Plymouth liked him, though:

Plymouth Argyle have extended the loan spell of Burnley defender Richard Eckersley until the end of the season.
The 21-year-old arrived at Home Park at the beginning of March on a one-month loan deal.
Eckersley has subsequently made four appearances for the Pilgrims at both right and left-back.
The defender, who started his career as a trainee at Manchester United, moved to Burnley last summer after rejecting a new contract at Old Trafford.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/plymouth_argyle/8600565.stm

... and that's Mariner's club in the UK.

Azerban
04-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Burnley fan reactions.

'He played regularly for Bury until Krill left the manager's job'

Sounds a bit fishy to me maiden. Terribly shellfish of the new manager to drop him.

wow, championship teams even have better posters than us

Ageroo
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Ekersely
Martina
Plato
Santos
Soolsma
Stevanovich
Yourassky

These guys might count as internationals or might not if they have a green cards/residency:

Borman
Kocic
Tchani

Both Borman and Tchani have green cards as far as I know

prizby
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
My statement wasn't an indictment of MLS or any of the TFC players that I mentioned. The fact of the matter is that up until now, all of the players deployed at RB were playing out of position. Harden is a natural CB, Gargan is natural DM that converted to RB last year, and Peterson is a natural RF. Aside from Omphroy, Eckersley is the first natural RB on the roster this season.

He was considered a good prospect at United, looked okay in the matches he played from what I recall. He's a natural LB I think, but can play on the right as well.

going off that

KGH
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I hope he's completed his anger management courses before he jets off.
Always seemed rather the aggresssive side of feisty, in the few times we saw him, or read of his performances.

Sounds like him and Yourass will be quite the pair!

sidvan
04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
now for the three week paperwork delay...

like the signing though

backbeat
04-15-2011, 01:59 PM

like the signing though

the paperwork must be done since TFC has announced it and they're saying he's flying in tonight - i'd think

Red CB Toronto
04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I wonder if Nicholas Lindsey and Bouciba currently count against the 30 man roster, if not then an international spot is open.

John Stamos
04-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Great loan!
I don't know why they wouldnt try going for a loan deal for David Edgar though. He also plays for Burnley,age 23, fullback, and also is Canadian :'(

DangerRed
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM

like the signing though

What are you talking about? Stevanovic played for TFC two days after his signing was announced.

prizby
04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Great loan!
I don't know why they wouldnt try going for a loan deal for David Edgar though. He also plays for Burnley,age 23, fullback, and also is Canadian :'(

interesting how we can loan a teammate of his, but fifa blocked his loan to swansea on feb 1...

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 02:18 PM
too many teams in too little time if im not mistaken

brad
04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
interesting how we can loan a teammate of his, but fifa blocked his loan to swansea on feb 1...

It's governed the transfer window of the league the player is moving to. The MLS window is open so there is no problem.

John Stamos
04-15-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcDVNWXT7j0

he won "Reserve Player Of The Year" in 2008 from Manchester United, but now got called back from loan from Bury FC to go to TFC.

I think he was one of those players who showed alot of potential, but it never happend for him

Hitcho
04-15-2011, 02:46 PM
I think it's unavoidable that MLS is going to have plenty of player turnover, and those using it as a stepping stone.

The same can be said for most leagues in the world that are not at "world class" level.

I have no problem with that...
it's understandable if a high quality player decides to move on to bigger and better things.
I think it makes MLS look good if it helps develop good players.

Yes, but my point is it's not good for TFC, rather than for the league generally, especially with Winter trying to bed down a young squad and have them grow.

Besides which, as a club we've seen far too much player turnover in our short history - what we really, really need right now is a period of stability and a settled squad and coaching staff. Even in MLS it's hard to win anything with a revolving door on your squad. :D

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 02:51 PM
the issue for me, now that the initial euphoria has died down, is that he's only played 24 senior games in the past 4 years, 15 of those since September. but still, from trolling the Bradford website, there seems to be some real potential in this kid. Apparently he's an outstanding attacking fullback, but his shot and crosses leave a bit to be desired.

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2259871,00.html (Thu 06 Jan 2011)

The attacking full back has proved to be a big hit with City fans during his brief time at the Coral Windows Stadium after originally joining City on loan in November.
Eckersley made City debut at home to Macclesfield Town and has featured in all six of City's matches during first loan period.
Taylor said: "Richard has proved himself to be an outstanding attacking right full back since he's come here so we are delighted to extend his stay with us."

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2228086,00.html (Match Report, Tuesday 23 November 2010)

90 + 3min: Last chance of the match for City falls to Eckersley around ten yards from goal, but he is unable to get enough power in the shot and it's easy for Dunbavin.

89min: YELLOW CARD - Andy Parkinson is booked for a late tackle on Eckersley.

19min: Richard Eckersley finds himself in a good deal of space down Accrington's left but his low cross can't find any City players who are waiting yards from goal.

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2275789,00.html (Match Report - Tuesday 25 January 2011)

4min: Byron Moore breezes past Richard Eckersley as he cuts inside into City's area from a wide position. His low shot is struck with pace, but Jon McLaughlin is right behind the effort and gathers easily.

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2256700,00.html (Match Report - Monday 3 January 2011

30min: City are denied by a superb last-ditch tackle from Tom Lees. Either Evans or Eckersley appear set for a clear view of goal as they race onto Luke O'Brien's through ball. The pair are just beaten by the lunging on loan Leeds defender though as he puts the ball behind.

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2252240,00.html (Match Report - Tuesday 28 December 2010)

13min: Cheltenham continue to boss proceedings at the moment and Richard Eckersley needs to be on hand to stop John Melligan enjoying a clear run on goal.
41min: Eckersley ends a surging run into Cheltenham's territory by firing over from distance.
55min: GOAL!......No! City think they are back in it as Syers taps home from close range, but he is denied by the offside flag. The Bantams midfielder is unmarked as Hanson heads O'Brien centre across goal, but his celebrations are cut short by the linesman just after he volleys into the net.
57min: Syers wheels away pleading for a penalty after he seems to have his shirt tugged in the box as he challenged for Eckersley's superb cross. Referee Mr Sarginson is unmoved though.

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10266~2247001,00.html (Match Report - Saturday 1 January 2011)

83min: Eckersley makes an important intervention to deny Grimes at the near post.

Maltese Falcon
04-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Could use some quality on the right side...looks like between Borman and Yourassowsky we have a pretty sound left defense...but Gargan/Harden options on right have been sketchy at best.

Canada72
04-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Ekersely
Martina
Plato
Santos
Soolsma
Stevanovich
Yourassky
Borman
Kocic
Tchani

How about Williams, why is not international? Does he have a green card?

los sonadores
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM

You're forgetting about Nana being a RB in his (not long ago) youth days... also for the CDN u 21s', and for us at first (where I thought he looked best)... but no problem, Winter seems also not to be considering Nana at RB.

Here's an ancient twitter, for example:

http://twitter.com/asifintoronto/status/54221583262289921

brandrews
04-15-2011, 03:53 PM
How about Williams, why is not international? Does he have a green card?

yes, williams is an international.

to my knowledge, out internationals are as follows:

williams - jamaica
yourassowsky - belgium
eckersley - england
santos - brazil
stevanovic - serbia
martina - curacao
plata - ecuador
soolsma - netherlands
bouchiba - netherlands (won't count if out for the year)
kocic - serbia (may have permanent residency status in canada)

we have 8 slots from the league this season, plus two from past trades

these three all have their green cards:

frei - switzerland
borman - south africa
tchani - cameroon

69Chevy396
04-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Burnley fan reactions.

I will reserve judgment on this move. A player derided by fans of a 12th place club in the second tier UK league does not seem much to write home about. Is MLS that bad that rejects from the Championship league are considered star candidates here before they play a game? I am not an expert in this area, but I have watched games in that league and believe it is grossly overrated. Despite this, I hope this new guy helps us, we sure need it.

Roogsy
04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
It's something at least. We need help this is an effort to do that.

I'm not overly enthusiastic but at this point, we need warm bodies with some level of talent and it seems he may have some. Hopefully he will have a point to make that will enable him to prove his worth and we will benefit from that. Either that, or he will be another bust.

__wowza
04-15-2011, 04:09 PM
the issue for me, now that the initial euphoria has died down, is that he's only played 24 senior games in the past 4 years, 15 of those since September. but still, from trolling the Bradford website, there seems to be some real potential in this kid. Apparently he's an outstanding attacking fullback, but his shot and crosses leave a bit to be desired.

comprehensive, good job on locating this stuff!
does anyone else find it weird that outt've most of the players kept on from last season are defenders? we're inching closer and closer to getting a solidified back line, and it's damn exciting.

brad
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
It's worth noting that United wanted to keep him (under two years ago), and he opted to leave. United wouldn't have made an offer to keep him if he was rubbish at that time. Two years is a long time for a youth player though.

Blowing Bubbles
04-15-2011, 05:45 PM
I know of a Burnley fan from another soccer message board I frequent and this was his response fwiw:

I've seen basically nothing of Eckersley since he joined at the beginning of last season. He's played 1 league game and a couple of cup games, picking up at least one red card along the way. He's been out on loan at Bradford and Bury and struggled to get into both of the League 2 sides.

Blowing Bubbles
04-15-2011, 05:50 PM

how can you say that when you have examples of players like Twellman and Shalrie Joseph who had their sales to European clubs blocked by the league?

There are plenty of players who are having long careers in MLS at salaries of $150-$300,000 per year.

ginkster88
04-15-2011, 06:18 PM
He wasn't getting time on his previous loan so Burnley pulled the plug and is sending him down a level to get him on a pitch somewhere. That's all this is; if he impresses he'll be back to Burnley in January, if not they'll be happily rid of him.

ginkster88
04-15-2011, 06:23 PM
how can you say that when you have examples of players like Twellman and Shalrie Joseph who had their sales to European clubs blocked by the league?

There are plenty of players who are having long careers in MLS at salaries of $150-$300,000 per year.

It's largely the truth.

The best Americans leave, the best Euros come to retire. The two players you mentioned are on a very short list of players who have spent their careers in MLS, and even then they are not of international quality (30 appearances each for USA and Grenada, never in a WC). The only example of a world-class player spending his career in MLS is Landon Donovan (130 appearances for the States), and that's because they paid him so much goddamn money.

raj100
04-15-2011, 06:29 PM
It's largely the truth.

The best Americans leave, the best Euros come to retire. The two players you mentioned are on a very short list of players who have spent their careers in MLS, and even then they are not of international quality (30 appearances each for USA and Grenada, never in a WC). The only example of a world-class player spending his career in MLS is Landon Donovan (130 appearances for the States), and that's because they paid him so much goddamn money.

world class is so loosely used on this forum its crazy... if landon donavan is world class, who isnt? players like him are a dime a dozen, the fact that hes from the states makes his profile so much higher... hes a midtable bench/occasional starter premier league team...

ginkster88
04-15-2011, 06:34 PM
world class is so loosely used on this forum its crazy... if landon donavan is world class, who isnt? players like him are a dime a dozen, the fact that hes from the states makes his profile so much higher... hes a midtable bench/occasional starter premier league team...

World-class is any player who can perform on an international level.

If you're telling me that Donovan's 130 caps and 45 international goals aren't an indication of that then you're being obtuse.

Give me an example of one other player who has performed at Donovan's level and spent his career in MLS, because that is related to the point I was making; otherwise you're just arguing about how good Landon Donovan is, and I'm not interested in doing that.

brad
04-15-2011, 07:06 PM
It's largely the truth.

And Donavon flopped on his first attempt overseas. He would have left for Everton if he could of.

raj100
04-15-2011, 07:07 PM
World-class is any player who can perform on an international level.

If you're telling me that Donovan's 130 caps and 45 international goals aren't an indication of that then you're being obtuse.

Give me an example of one other player who has performed at Donovan's level and spent his career in MLS, because that is related to the point I was making; otherwise you're just arguing about how good Landon Donovan is, and I'm not interested in doing that.

i personally feel that being world class isnt just performing on the world scale, because then we would have boat loads of players who perform well on the world scale... for example.. podolski extremely talented player... plays well on the world scale like you say... but when it comes to club football this guy is annonymous...

world-classadj of or denoting someone with a skill or attribute that puts him or her in the highest class in the world

thats the dictionary definition... and i dont think you can honestly say that donovan is among the best in the world...

Alonso
04-15-2011, 07:09 PM

It's great, and they don't blow their load before the job is done, a al Mo.

Mo's wife must be completely unsatisfied.

69Chevy396
04-15-2011, 07:10 PM

I don't understand arguments like this at all. When the Americans do well internationally in a sport that at best, is 5th or 6th in popularity in that Country, we are unfairly critical of players like Donovan, as if citizenship had anything to do with athleticism. When Donovan played in the EPL last season on that loan, he was often the best player on the pitch, and the club begged him to stay. There are a lot of superb American soccer players, but not everybody gets a chance to play for the worlds top clubs, just ask a lot of young English players who never get this chance either.

When was the last time an English or German or Italian player dominated in La Liga? I suppose this means all English, German and Italian players, like Donovan, are not world class....this whole argument is specious...when MLS teams play European second tier clubs in meaningful games one will be able to compare the quality of the play/product, until this happens these arguments are speculative and based on biases only.

Kooper
04-15-2011, 07:44 PM
It's largely the truth.

And the MLS blocked a second loan to Everton this year.

MarkoftheDrink
04-15-2011, 07:50 PM
From BS:

Hi I'm a Burnley fan. Eckersley signed for us for a tribunal set fee of £500k after we won promotion to the Premier League. As was said earlier, he had been highly rated by Man Utd, who wanted to keep him, but he decided to move to try to get first team football. Unfortunately, he was sent off on his debut in a Carling Cup tie and, although he has played a couple more cup ties for us, he has never really threatened to take the place of our regular right back Tyrone Mears.

I thought he might push for a place this season, after our relegation back to the Championship, but he hasn't really looked the part even in our reserve games. He's had 3 previous spells out on loan, with Plymouth (under Paul Mariner), Bradford City and Bury. Apparently he did quite well at Plymouth but has not stood out at the other clubs which are in the 4th tier of English football.

I don't know the standard of the MLS, but I did read that there is not a lot of hard tackling going on. If that's the case, Eckersley could be in trouble, as his style is to get 'stuck in' to the opposition and he picks up a lot of yellow cards.

He still has two years left on his contract at Burnley, and it is obvious that the club is trying to cut its losses and reduce the wage bill, with Toronto covering a (significant?) portion of the player's wages.

I hope things work out for him, as he is certainly tries hard, but i doubt he'll ever be seen in the first team at Burnley.

All the best for the season.

Eckersley Thread on BS (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1709789)

I can see why some people are hesitant to be excited about this signing given our past failures with MoJo and Eckersley's disappointing past few years. That said we have a gaping wound at RB, Mariner has first hand experience with the player and Winter saw a flaw filled it with a young player that MUFC saw potential in and wanted to keep. All positives in my books (well aside from the gaping wound bit).

What do we have to lose? He takes up a international roster spot until January 2012. If he's worse than Gargan, then he goes to the reserves and goes home in January. Is there anything else I'm missing?

To gain: We could be getting a player that hasn't been in the right situation and with playing time could begin to fulfill some of his potential. Burnley seems to want to get rid of his contract so I get the impression he's never going back there if we want to keep him.

Ultimately at this stage and knowing nothing about him outside of the content of this thread and the links within I'd be willing to wager that he will be our starting RB (if fit) for the rest of the season. Not sure if he'll be any good there but I'm betting he'll be a better option than Gargan or Nana.

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 07:55 PM
i personally feel that being world class isnt just performing on the world scale, because then we would have boat loads of players who perform well on the world scale... for example.. podolski extremely talented player... plays well on the world scale like you say... but when it comes to club football this guy is annonymous...

world-classadj of or denoting someone with a skill or attribute that puts him or her in the highest class in the world

thats the dictionary definition... and i dont think you can honestly say that donovan is among the best in the world...

Fine, if "world class" is Messi, CR7, et al; Donovan is a rank or two lower than that. Either way, he's an elite player and not a "dime-a-dozen" player. And probably, biases aside, the most elite player who's spent the majority of his career in the MLS.

DichioTFC
04-15-2011, 07:58 PM
From BS:

Eckersley Thread on BS (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1709789)

I can see why some people are hesitant to be excited about this signing given our past failures with MoJo and Eckersley's disappointing past few years. That said we have a gaping wound at RB, Mariner has first hand experience with the player and Winter saw a flaw filled it with a young player that MUFC saw potential in and wanted to keep. All positives in my books (well aside from the gaping wound bit).

What do we have to lose? He takes up a international roster spot until January 2012. If he's worse than Gargan, then he goes to the reserves and goes home in January. Is there anything else I'm missing?

To gain: We could be getting a player that hasn't been in the right situation and with playing time could begin to fulfill some of his potential. Burnley seems to want to get rid of his contract so I get the impression he's never going back there if we want to keep him.

Ultimately at this stage and knowing nothing about him outside of the content of this thread and the links within I'd be willing to wager that he will be our starting RB (if fit) for the rest of the season. Not sure if he'll be any good there but I'm betting he'll be a better option than Gargan or Nana.

You're totally right. The only thing that you're missing is that if he does suck, we can send him back to Engerland and recoup some the cost. Either way, I think its a great move that addresses a specific need and gives us a complete team for the first time in history?

69Chevy396
04-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Fine, if "world class" is Messi, CR7, et al; Donovan is a rank or two lower than that. Either way, he's an elite player and not a "dime-a-dozen" player. And probably, biases aside, the most elite player who's spent the majority of his career in the MLS.

Agreed. I dismiss the criticism Donovan receives here all the time. If he were an Englishman he would be one of only a few who start as striker in the EPL, and everybody would love him, and wish TFC signed him as a 35 year old DP one day. I think he needs to grow a beard, or let his hair grow or something, cause he does look like a 14 year old.

Blowing Bubbles
04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
It's largely the truth.

if we're using keeping "world-class" players in your league as the bar, then basically all but 3 leagues in the world are "development leagues" and every single team in the world is a "selling team" (with the caveat being that Real Madrid and Man City sell at a loss).

And this fascination with players who are Internationals = World Class is kind of ridiculous. So I guess the New Zealand Int'l on Vancouver Whitecaps is "world class"?

Come on man. Your point was that nobody stays in this league and it is a development / retirement league when in fact there are a large number of players who have stayed in this league for years making ~150 - $300,000/yr. Somehow that got twisted into some inane argument about world class talent. :facepalm:

Maltese Falcon
04-15-2011, 08:25 PM
You're totally right. The only thing that you're missing is that if he does suck, we can send him back to Engerland and recoup some the cost. Either way, I think its a great move that addresses a specific need and gives us a complete team for the first time in history?
Yeah I like the idea of loaning...if he turns out to be a flop at least he comes at minimal risk, low cost and no ties to the future. Unlike some other mistakes in the past that need not be named.

jloome
04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Faith is the confident trust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust_%28social_sciences%29) in the truth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth) or trustworthiness of a person, concept (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept) or thing.
Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition) or premise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premise) to be true (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth).

It's the evolution of trust, faith being the first stage and belief as a more developed stage.

Same thing. Your own definition use these same description for both "holds a proposition or premise to be true" is exactly the same thing as "trust in the truth .....of a person, concept or thing."

In fact given that a proposition or premise is a "concept", as defined in the first point, you at best could say the exact opposite, that belief is a part-and-parcel of faith.

But even that would be specious. They are the same thing. Both definitions mean exactly the same thing.

And the only people who make this argument are those who are trying to distinguish their religious faith from other people's unsubstantiated beliefs.

jazzy
04-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Ha the world is a rank or two lower than Messi.........how did we get here,...anyhow we have a new player, and even as RB, didn't someone mention he's naturally a LB?...., the most he can contibute is a solid prescense at the back,...who's going to be up front on the counter-attacks?.....I saw no targets Wed night

iansmcl
04-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Agreed with all of this.

We need an RB, that's for sure. If we haven't found anyone good by now we have no more time (till June). So at least we have what I imagine will be a servicable RB, which we don't really have right now. If he doens't work out he's not on a big, long-term contract and he goes home.

Maltese Falcon
04-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Ha the world is a rank or two lower than Messi.........how did we get here,...anyhow we have a new player, and even as RB, didn't someone mention he's naturally a LB?...., the most he can contibute is a solid prescense at the back,...who's going to be up front on the counter-attacks?.....I saw no targets Wed night
Mariner's says hes a Right Back who can also play on the Left.... watch the video

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2977

torontocelt
04-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Agreed with all of this.

We need an RB, that's for sure. If we haven't found anyone good by now we have no more time (till June). So at least we have what I imagine will be a servicable RB, which we don't really have right now. If he doens't work out he's not on a big, long-term contract and he goes home.

TFC isn't going to sign world beaters, this guy is exactly the kind of standard I would expect so I am neither excited nor disappointed. I am very confident though that despite his apparent lack of quality that he will be better than Gargan for sure. It is a worry that his career is on a decline and that he has not been able to prove himself at a lower level in England but I think Mariner and Winter have made some good moves so far with bringing players in so perhaps the boy does have some promise.

Maltese Falcon
04-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Eckersley interview:

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2981

Ossington Mental Youth
04-16-2011, 09:13 AM
kid seems hungry to play, could bode well for him and for us

ManUtd4ever
04-16-2011, 09:47 AM
I hope he got a good night sleep, because I want to see some busted ankles out there tonight on DCU's left flank!

Borga
04-16-2011, 09:54 AM
He sounds like a pretty physical player, I would think he'd fit right in. Hopefully he can figure out how to stay on the line and not get floods of yellows like Hscanovics or Usanov.

Ron Manager
04-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Nobody was overly excited about Borman as he was seen as nothing more than MLS depth calibre. However, he is fitting in nicely to our system. All we need at RB is someone to do the same job. If Eckersley can provide the same support and overlapping runs on the right, we will truly be able to exploit both flanks, which will, in turn, open up space in the middle for deGuz and Santos to operate. I'll be very happy once we get there.

pepher
04-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Any way he'll play today?

dantdot
04-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Any way he'll play today?

Wouldn't be surprised. Seems like Winter throws in guys off the plane :)

Davenport
04-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Mariner obviously thinks he's an improvement on Gargan....who wouldn't be, but if he's struggled to get games at Bury and Bradford I'm not expecting much.

Ron Manager
04-16-2011, 03:12 PM
He's young and had to fight for his place against established starters there. He hasn't got much competition here so should play alot. If he can play our system, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Oldtimer
04-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Mariner's says hes a Right Back who can also play on the Left....

How can that be? Isn't our board the definition of correct? :D

Maltese Falcon
04-16-2011, 04:59 PM
^lol silly me

Maltese Falcon
04-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Should be interesting tho, I really believe this is the most complete our team has ever been. We have players that fit their positions and for the most part are good at them...Remember Brennan playing CB, De Guzman playing Right Mid and Attacking Mid, Cronin on RB. Not to mention all the quick fixer players Mo brought in to "fill" these spots. This TFC team has players who play their positions and Winter/Mariner have capable bench for almost every position. 4 CB, 2/3LB, 3RB, I don't think our defense has ever been so deep. I'm extremely impressed that they are consciously working to fill needs and not just finding any schmuck to fill the role.

raj100
04-17-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't understand arguments like this at all. When the Americans do well internationally in a sport that at best, is 5th or 6th in popularity in that Country, we are unfairly critical of players like Donovan, as if citizenship had anything to do with athleticism. When Donovan played in the EPL last season on that loan, he was often the best player on the pitch, and the club begged him to stay. There are a lot of superb American soccer players, but not everybody gets a chance to play for the worlds top clubs, just ask a lot of young English players who never get this chance either.

When was the last time an English or German or Italian player dominated in La Liga? I suppose this means all English, German and Italian players, like Donovan, are not world class....this whole argument is specious...when MLS teams play European second tier clubs in meaningful games one will be able to compare the quality of the play/product, until this happens these arguments are speculative and based on biases only.

your point about english german or italian players is irrelevant.. i just say that because donovan is american, he is overhyped and thats simply down to the media in the u.s getting behind the states soccer team..

and donovan often the best player on the pitch? LOL he didnt even start many of the games... i can see that your really strong about how you feel about north american football and how it looks across the pond, but had donovan been european no one would know his name.. players like him are a dime a dozen, its just that the level of play here is so much lower so a player like him looks so much better since he is being compared to players of a lower talent.. big fish in a small pond if you ask me

if you were making a world XI would you donovan make the starting 11? LOL hell no.. does he make the bench? no... does he make the reserves? no... hes a alotta levels lower than messi and ronaldo..

69Chevy396
04-17-2011, 10:31 AM
I see your point, about Donovan being dime a dozen, I can't argue this point because it is essentially true. However, soccer is a team sport first and foremost, and wherever Donovan has played he has excelled and has matched up very well with the opposition, and the same can be said of the US national mens team, despite the fact many of the players do not themselves meet the same primadonna stature of their opponents, and many do not play at the highest team level. But as in all team sports sometimes the lesser players make the better team. Shaktar and Tottenham are two current examples I can think of. So this is way off topic now, sorry, enough for now.

raj100
04-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I see your point, about Donovan being dime a dozen, I can't argue this point because it is essentially true. However, soccer is a team sport first and foremost, and wherever Donovan has played he has excelled and has matched up very well with the opposition, and the same can be said of the US national mens team, despite the fact many of the players do not themselves meet the same primadonna stature of their opponents, and many do not play at the highest team level. But as in all team sports sometimes the lesser players make the better team. Shaktar and Tottenham are two current examples I can think of. So this is way off topic now, sorry, enough for now.

one can argue that donavon only looked as good as he did because he was playing with better players at everton...

TFCRegina
04-17-2011, 04:30 PM
one can argue that donavon only looked as good as he did because he was playing with better players at everton...

And one could argue that without Donovan in the USMNT, the team is a joke and goes from being a top 20 team to a top 40 team...

raj100
04-17-2011, 08:24 PM
And one could argue that without Donovan in the USMNT, the team is a joke and goes from being a top 20 team to a top 40 team...

if thats the case, it just show you how poor that us team is...